Health, Safety, Phy Ed - When would MFW cover these?

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Julie in MN

Re: I need playing outside/exercise suggestions for my 5yo D

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat May 21, 2011 10:59 am

gratitude wrote:I thought this outdoor love would increase when we moved to the country. Hmm.. they still love to be outside and they run around our property a lot. However, they still play much harder and get far more exercise when I drive them into town to the park.
Carin, That was a really interesting comment. It got dh & I talking this morning about his family's experience moving from urban to rural as kids. They weren't farmers, so there wasn't that built-in exercise (his father built a gun club, so they were always working but it was pretty sedentary).

In looking at his family and at our own kids, we decided that the "toys" are very powerful draws for exercise. The playground, the basketball hoop, the bee-bee guns for hunting... And on the other hand, "toys" are a very powerful draw for staying inside (the TV, the computer, even the little stuffed animals). So what's the answer? Get more toys for outside than inside :~ I do know we often drew neighborhood kids over to our house to play by having some of those things. One year it was orange cones and bikes, another it was some in-line skates from a garage sale, sometimes it was a street hockey net.

Just enjoying thinking as I sit at my computer and *don't* exercise ;)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cefcdana

Unread post by cefcdana » Sun May 22, 2011 8:49 am

I found these free printable physical activity cards to use throughout the day during school. Thought i would share the link if that helped...
http://files.homeschoolshare.com/docs54 ... 0Cards.pdf If the link doesn't work, you can go to homeschool share's website and search under "workboxables" and go under "Just for Fun" and then "Activity cards"

It is a PDF document and uses Adobe Acrobat. The homeschool share site mentions something about if you use Google Chrome as your web browser, you may have trouble pulling up a pdf. They give you instructions on how to fix that. I use chrome though and haven't had any issues.
Dana
Julie in MN wrote:It does open for me in Internet Explorer, and I have a very old version of that from what I've heard :)

But the link won't "open" for me in firefox. I can "see" it if I go to this link:
http://www.homeschoolshare.com/workbox.php
Then scroll down to the end of the page for the words Dana used: "just for fun"
Then click on "activity cards"

Okay, that helped me at least "see" the link, which I couldn't see on the other page. But I need to use Internet Explorer to actually open it.
Dusenkids wrote:I was able to click on the link and go straight to them. I'm using Explorer. Cute cards, three pages of pretend to be a ... or do 10 (exercise) type activities.

First time I've seen the site. Thanks for sharing it!

davimee

Unread post by davimee » Mon May 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Oh... how about "Go You Chicken Fat Go!"? I was talking with my Mom this morning (our weekly video chat via the lovely internet :) )and she reminded me of that song. She said they used to do it on rainy days when she was in school. I did a quick search for it and found it on youtube. It's just the audio (as far as I know there isn't really any video). I might try that with my kiddos when we just need a quick break to burn off some energy. :)
Emily - Wife of one wonderful man, Mommy of two terrific girls (11 & 8 )

This is our second year with MFW, using Creation to the Greeks. :)

mgardenh

Personal hygiene for girls

Unread post by mgardenh » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:11 pm

davimee wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for teaching personal hygiene (or a health class) for girls? My 10 year old is getting to a tough stage - greasy hair, dandruff, pimples, deodorant... but I'm having such a hard time getting her to wear deodorant every day, brush her teeth, wash her face every day... what's the best way of teaching hygiene? I don't think I should have to remind her every day. Shouldn't that just be obvious? :) I looked at Sonlight's science because this year would have been Health, Medicine and the Human body. But it's a bit pricey. We do have The Care and Keeping of You, an American Girl book for girls her age on taking care of yourself. But I think we need something more. How do you teach personal hygiene to your girls? Thanks!

Emily
I know I'm not a mom. But I do have girls. We're not that great at this yet. What we do is have a visual chart. This chart has everything dd needs to do in the am. So shower, bush teeth, hair, deodorant, get dressed, take care of lizard. This is posted on her door. So she has it as a reminder. So rather then fight about doing this stuff. I asked if she has taken care of everything on her chart. If she says no. I ask her to finish her chart. That way the chart is the "bad guy" and tells her what to do and I don't have to say each thing.

This is just what we do. So if will work for you use it. If not toss the idea away!
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

Smoakhouse

Re: Personal hygiene for girls

Unread post by Smoakhouse » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:12 pm

I know how you are feeling. Rest assured they will grow out of it then you won't be able to get them out of the bathroom. ;)

Maybe a one step at a time approach might work.

I fun idea might be to have a party! A skin care party that is, like Mary Kay or other similar product. That way she can invite several of her friends & their mom's over for a make over. Be sure to tell the consult doing it that you are waiting to inspire your daughter to take better care of her skin. The facial is free, but it's nice to at least buy a lip gloss or something. ;) But they do have a good skin care line. I have used it for several years. You can also request how much or little actually make up they demo.

A trip to the beauty salon for a new hair cut, might inspire her to take better care of her hair. Spend some time before hand looking through some hair magazines to get some ideas. Lots of teen stars have long hair now.

As for the BO...maybe a shopping trip for some neat body wash, scrub brush and teen DO and perfume (very light) might make her feel special.

You may also check your local Christian book store, my second daughter had a book for tweens on growing up that hit many of these topics. It did it in a very christian way about what matters is on the inside but our body is a temple to God and we need to take care of it too. Sorry, I can't remember the name of it, but they are out there.

Good Luck,
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 23 & 20 and boy 10
Homeschooling for 18 years and counting!!
MFW ECC (2016-17)
MFW Adventures (2013-14)
MFW 1st (2012-13)
MFW K (2011-12)
MFW Health (fall 2011)
Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/cdsmoak

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Smoakhouse wrote: You may also check your local Christian book store, my second daughter had a book for tweens on growing up that hit many of these topics. It did it in a very christian way about what matters is on the inside but our body is a temple to God and we need to take care of it too. Sorry, I can't remember the name of it, but they are out there.
Is it called BeTween by Vicki Courtney? I think it might be in a magazine format. There is a teen version called TeenVirtue that I gave to a teen girl in our youth group when my dh was Youth Pastor.

You can see sample pages of both at amazon.com.

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:06 pm

There is also a book called 'The Body Book: It's A God Thing!' by Nancy Rue that I ran across when I was looking for the one I mentioned above. One of the reviews stated that this is the Christian version of the American Girl book, 'The Care and Keeping of You'. I can't vouch for either this one or the one above but thought I'd throw them out there. Hopefully, someone else who has and can comment. (We're not quite there yet since my dd is only 7 but growing up too fast.)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:04 pm

I actually have a friend who put all those things on her son's chore chart... It takes at least 21 days of doing something consistently before it becomes a habit. So, put it on her chore chart for a while.

And actually, I like the american girl's "The Care and Keeping of You" book, but preview it. I skipped the section on eating disorders.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

davimee

Unread post by davimee » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:43 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions! Mike, I like your idea of having a chart. I guess I've resisted making a chart up to this point because I keep thinking she's a smart girl, she shouldn't need a chart. But then I got to thinking, sometimes I make myself a list of things I need to get done, as that helps me organize what to do and prevents me from forgetting anything... so I guess it's the same thing. So tonight I made up a quick chart for her, and we'll see how it goes! :)

Cheri, I like your idea of a skin care party! I'm going to have to give that one some more thought. Is there a deodorant you recommend for teens? Right now I have her using Dove, because I figure it's gentle, and I'm afraid she'll break out. My girls take after me and have sensitive skin.

Tammie, thanks for the names of the books! I looked them up on Amazon, and they look pretty cool! DH mentioned the other day we have a gift card for Amazon, so I might have to see what he'd think about getting one of those.

Tricia, I have considered making an appointment for my daughter to see the doctor about her acne, but I figure since she doesn't always wash her face, that's a big part of it. Hopefully I can help her get into the habit of washing it every day and using her Stridex, and then it will clear up on it's own without using something harsher that the doctor would prescribe. Maybe with all these great suggestions we can get some better habits formed. :)

Thanks again everyone! :)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:05 pm

Emily,
I've watched a lot of teens over the past years. The main thing that seems to trigger the hygiene awareness thing is peer pressure, and you can count your blessings that your dd isn't feeling that pressure on her to fit in. Not only isn't it a good feeling to always wonder what others are looking at, but also it can go overboard & you can have a teen who showers constantly, takes hours in the bathroom, etc. I think there's a transition between childhood, when kids don't care about how they look, towards adulthood, when kids become more self-critical. You dd just might be still on the childhood side of her life?

Once in a while, there's a kid who never seems to "get it" about b.o. and such (my ds has one such friend, and he's 17), but I think the vast majority do catch on with time. When I tutor, it's often the young girls actually who are strong-smelling, and I always think it's because they need the deod. at such an early age these days, and they sometimes just aren't mentally at the "peer comparison" stage yet to notice, or remember. Keep things handy right on the counter where she's likely to grab them, like the deod. or the shampoo for oily hair.

And about acne, I have a strong opinion that leaving the face alone is the #1 thing that helps. Keep the hands off the face, keep the lotions off, etc. That's where I like to start.

You have some other great suggestions here!
Julie

davimee

Unread post by davimee » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:34 pm

Hi Julie, thank you for your reply! Yes, I think you described my daughter very well! She has days where she really doesn't seem to care how she looks or what people might think, and other days she wants to grow up and dresses in long skirts and does her best to look pretty. :) She's been wearing deodorant for over a year (when she remembers!), but I'm not sure we've found the right one for her. Either that or she's not applying it correctly. I need to talk with her again and make sure she's doing a good job at that. And I agree with the acne, keeping her hands away from her face. I remind her of that whenever I see her sliding her fingers across her forehead. I've also told her it will be better if she keeps her hair pulled back, as the worst of it is around her hairline. I feel badly for her, because I remember going through that as a girl, and I had terrible pimples! I am so thankful she's not in public school, because I remember how mean kids were!

I found the Nancy Rue book at the library that Tammie recommended, so I've reserved it and will check it out when it's available. I think I'm going to have to plan a fun night with my daughter when my in-laws can keep my younger daughter for the night, and talk some more about growing up. We did that a couple years ago, but I think it's time for another date night with Mommy. :)
jasntas wrote:I never thought to suggest looking at the library for the books I mentioned. Great idea.

My 7 y.o. dd has formed this bad habit of picking at her sores. I wonder if there's a book about that!?! :~ ;)
Tammie, is she old enough to learn about infections and germs? My youngest still puts things into her mouth, and almost always has a finger in her mouth... I looked online and found microscopic pictures of germs and bacteria, and showed her those. I told her every time she sticks something in her mouth that doesn't belong in there, she's putting those little bugs in her mouth. That grossed her out and helped for a while... she's back to doing it again, so maybe I should look up some more pictures of germs. She hates bugs! :-) Anyway, if your daughter is old enough to understand that, maybe you could explain when she picks at the sores she's letting those bugs into her body? Just a thought. :)

I washed my daughter's hair really well yesterday, then braided it and pulled it back from her face. I told her I want her to wash it every day for the next couple weeks, and we'll see if that helps the dandruff. If not, I'll try like the poster said and use an inexpensive dandruff shampoo on her hair 2-3 times a week.
jasntas wrote:The bug thing might do it for her. Thanks for the advice. We did that once regarding brushing teeth and my dc seemed to really get it. I'll see what I can find. Hmm.
Oh, and by the way Tammie, I've really enjoyed reading your blog! It makes me so anxious to start our year with ECC! Thanks for posting the link in your signature! :)
Emily
jasntas wrote:I'm glad you have been enjoying my blog. That part of school/life has been great and ECC has been a wonderful blessing to our family. Dealing with some other issues such as the one above, not so much. That blog has actually been very therapeutic for me. My hope and prayer when I started it is that it would be an encouragement to others. Thanks for the kind comments. :-)

cbollin

Gym class

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:41 pm

cefcdana wrote:I am teaching K & 1st grade gym with four kids. Any ideas? Also, I remember doing warm up and cool down times in my elementary gym classes. Any ideas on specific stretches or warm ups? Thanks!
Dana
There are homeschool PE things out there that follow the classroom, group school ideas for PE, but just done at home.
I think this is the book I got free one time or really cheap during a special or something.
http://anneelliott.com/blog/our-homesch ... oling-p-e/

Her book is for families and has specific lesson plans and stuff like that.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maritime momma

Re: Gym class

Unread post by maritime momma » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Instead of a structured Gym class, we (with a preschooler, but intend to do the same as our girls grow up) simply ensure a lot of physical activity throughout each day: at the park, climbing, running games, hopping, skipping, biking, taking stairs instead of escalators/elevators, talking about being healthy, proper nutrition at snack and meal times, etc. We also go to the pool once a week and will be starting gymnastics this fall as well. Even without the structured Gym class, we know that our daughter is a physically fit child and knowledgable about the importance of physical activity and good nutrition. It's definitely one of our priorities and instead of secluding it into a "class", we want it to be a habit and lifestyle they value.
"While we teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life's all about." ~unknown
Audrey: Happy wife to Jason of 9 yrs, DD Clara - 3 (MFW PreK) & sweet newborn DD Renée, born April 1

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:47 pm

We did different things at different ages. I'll try to remember some of them. But if you have 4 kids, how fun! Lots of games they can play, like Red Light Green Light and jumprope.

- In younger years, we spent the lunch hour taking a bike ride or a walk
- We took advantage of homeschool days at the ski hill and local homeschool bowling and such
- We did exercises in between brain work, some of which came from the HWT teacher book
- We had exercise equipment readily available even during reading time, such as a chin-up bar and a giant exercise ball
- We've joined the YMCA and done classes or informal regular exercise, had training on the equipment, and dd kept track of her exercise on some computer thingee

I have about three homeschool phy ed books on my shelves but sheepishly I admit I've never used a one.

schelean

Unread post by schelean » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:46 pm

At one of our state homeschool conventions I found Family Time Fitness. It is a homeschool PE program developed by homeschool dads. We have started each morning with our PE activities and also used them throughout the day between subjects. I do it with my kids too. It is meant for the family to do together. They have a great website with lots of videos and information. I have been looking for something like this for a long time. www.familytimefitness.com
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:56 pm

Is this for a co-op? Or for your family? Just wondering... I thought from reading it that you must be teaching a co-op class, but others have given great suggestions for a home setting.

If it is co-op, I was a bystander during my daughter's gym time. ;) Not a teacher, mind you. Bystander. Or By-sitter, if that's a word. We were blessed with a fantastic teacher with extensive fitness training who is also a godly woman who just happens to be using MFW K this year too! I was so pleased to hear that she is teaching the class for this age group again this year!

Sometimes there were a dozen children, sometimes just a few like you will have. They were mostly older fours and younger fives with a few six year olds mixed in, but these ideas could still work with K-1st graders. Some of the things the leader did with this age group were:

Teaching about group games. Some of the children (like my daughter) came from homes with few or only one child, and did not know how to play group games such as duck-duck-goose, "What time is it Mr. Fox?" and red light/green light and the like.

Exercises. These were usually incoporated into listening games, such as "If I hold up the green ball, do five jumping jacks. If I hold up the red balloon, run in place..." and etc. I like how these incorporated listening and attention skills. The teacher also used other learning games with exercise such as taping up a paper with shapes and saying, "Skip to the triangle. Jump to the circle. Crawl to the rectangle."
You get the idea.

Sports skills. We didn't have enough children to play sports, but the teacher would work on team sports skills, such as kicking or passing a soccer ball and the like. Since we don't watch television, I am sad to say that my daughter did not know the difference between a soccer ball and a basketball, until she was in this co-op class. I suppose i just forgot to teach her those things. :~

Obstacle courses. Sometimes we went outdoors, where the teacher had an obstacle course of sorts set up. Cones and other markers would indicate areas. Then it was: kick the ball to the cone and around it, then pick up the ball and throw it to the teacher, then run to the beanbag and do five jumping jacks, then race to the finish line. That sort of thing.

Stretches. The teacher spent time on the floor with the children, teaching them stretches. But she would give fun descriptors, such as "Reach up, high high high as you can! make you arms feel longer and longer! Great job, Silas, you are reaching so high! Higher, Gail... great! Stretch up and up!"

Politeness/taking turns/encouragement. So much of this class was about working with others, taking turns, ladies going first, being gentlemen, encouragement, etcetera. This was a great aspect and I saw many of the lessons taught being used in other classes. Great for my only child who was not used to having to take turns!

A highlight for the children was a huddle activity at the end, when they would gather around the teacher and choose something to shout in unison. It was a great closure for the class.

If this isn't a co-op class you're teaching, I suppose these could still be good ideas for the home.

I don't know anything about the specific thing you asked for... STRETCHES!!! But I hope you like some of the ideas I shared.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

alisoncooks

Unread post by alisoncooks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:44 am

Yodergoat wrote:But I hope you like some of the ideas I shared.
I thought your ideas were awesome! I'm putting a sticky there for future reference! They are also pretty representative of what I saw taught in the public schools (when I taught 1st grd).

I am fond of Fit Deck. They have a Fit Deck Jr. (for kid) with an idea/game booklet available to purchase with it. There is also a Fit Deck Stretch (with stretching ideas). I like having these b/c they're portable and easy to use and offer lots of variety (more than I can come up with on my own).
http://fitdeck.com/
Married to DH since 2000, with 2 sweet girls (2006 & 2008).

cefcdana

Unread post by cefcdana » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Thank you for all of your practical and helpful responses! I will definitely keep these in mind for the upcoming year and even for the next several years. Gym is by far NOT my favorite subject (I'd rather curl up with a book) so ideas from others are motivating. My girls are ages 4, 5, and 6- I will be doing gym with them and another 6 year old girl that we are schooling with. Thanks again- love the MFW boards! :)

Dana

TriciaMR

PE

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue May 22, 2012 10:04 pm

jabec wrote:What do you do for physical activities/education?

I think my kids get plenty exercise, but I would like some sort of program or plan... I recently realized some of my kids could NOT do jumping jacks! I know there are other basic skills they should know, but is there a good book or something that has a complete list of...exercises or physical activities?

On a side note, we picked up a book from the library called Hopscotch Around the World...it fits nicely with ECC!
We're fortunate that a former elementary school teacher runs P.E. classes for homeschoolers. It meets once a week for an hour.

A place called FamilyTimeFitness dot com actually has a "P.E. Curriculum" for homeschool families. You might check it out.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

momonthemove

Re: PE

Unread post by momonthemove » Wed May 23, 2012 7:20 am

We participate in a weekly co-op in the fall/spring months. PE is a part of that.

I have to laugh when you said jumping jacks. My friend and I taught PE last year, and we didn't even think about kids not knowing how to do a jumping jack. We taught that skill to our Kindergarten-2nd graders. They also struggled with standing with their feet together and jumping in place. Jump roping was another. Skipping was interesting for all ages (K-6). Some could skip and others did not. A lot of balance things we worked on.

Most of our activities were group activities because that's what parents couldn't get at home with few children.

Good luck.
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Wed May 23, 2012 9:08 am

I really enjoy FamilyTimeFitness. The best price was at my local convention although they did have a special a homeschoolbuyerscoop.com that was pretty close. The workbooks aren't necessary.

Each month I get an email to the lessons. Each lesson can be done without a lot of equipment. I bought cones, hulahoops, and balls. We made a few bean bags. Each lesson has video clips to demonstrates the different moves so you can see exactly what to do. I saved all downloads and will be able access the lessons in future years. The company responds quickly to email and questions. I once deleted an email and lessons, and I had a new email within 24 hours no questions asked.

This is a fundamental movement patterns not physical game skills type of program.

My son is clumsy and not a natural athlete. We did one of those homeschool PE classes that focused on skills, and it did not improve his skills. He just looked clumsy as he attempted to perform whatever particular game skill set they were working on that week. With this program, the focus was on fundamental movements, and my son made great strides with the program. As he mastered these difference fundamental movements, his physical game skills naturally improved. For example, although he didn't receive specific instruction on "how to play a certain sport", if you look at videos of him playing different sports from a year ago compared today the improvement is remarkable. I cannot say enough positive things about this program.

HTH
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

ilovemy4kids

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Wed May 23, 2012 10:01 am

http://www.successful-homeschooling.com ... ation.html great site to read about PE

book to get from the library: The Ultimate Home School Physical Education Game Book by Guy Bailey

Great list of wonderful resources: http://www.thehomeschoolmom.com/schoolroom/physed.php

have fun! Sandra

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed May 23, 2012 10:07 am

I was just at target store this morning. check the dollar bin section for:
scoop and ball toss
and other summer fun backyard toys. those are good. go get them... cheap and they can fall apart and then you can replace them with good stuff after you find out what you like to do.

for high impact activities (jumping jacks, etc).... make sure they land proper to absorb the impact. (ps. low impact high intensity burns just as much calories in a 60 minute cardio class... I have my Polar Monitor to back those stats)

don't discount dance classes - it's my hobby income
group games at church stuff
swimming (get the summer pass, or something)

Be an example.... don't just take them to the park and sit in the shade with your friends.... get up and play.

and make it about fun and fitness... not lesson plans to cover (not a smack at the programs mentioned... just sayin... have fun with them without worry of missing a skill here and there)

Remember... you're only one workout away from a good mood!

Postby cbollin » Wed May 23, 2012 2:04 pm
ooh.. I was just reading the archives of jazzercise dot com on fitness articles... This was a great idea in the bullet points on an article from 2007

find service projects that involve the whole family doing activity together such as:
Participate in adopting a highway, park, or beach, and keep it clean.

and ... how about
Do household chores together (for an elderly neighbor! I might add)

how about that? PE and School and Service -- Being a Fit Family with Eternal Purpose. LOL
-crystal

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Wed May 23, 2012 10:11 am

Fitness is really important to me.
My 10yo is on team gymnastics, 7yo son and 4 yo are in trampoline classes and will move to team soon, hopefully.
We always have a pool membership and I teach them swim lessons until they are old enough to move on to swim team.
Then they do soccer in the summer/fall.

On top of that we are truly blessed to have great neighbors with kids! One family even home schools. So the kids have free play outside in the afternoon.

We have bike trails here, too. I just need to get my own bike and strengthen up my 4 yo's skills and we will hit the trails for picnics and nature exploration. (the trail follows a creek)
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed May 23, 2012 10:14 am

cbollin wrote:Be an example.... don't just take them to the park and sit in the shade with your friends.... get up and play.
This is so true!!! When I'm hanging out in the shade chatting with other moms, my dd and all her girlfriends go sit under the play structure and have a "club." If we gals stroll around the playground or push swings or toss a ball -- ALL of the kids want to play hard!

I also really recommend group classes, though (even though my dd isn't taking one this year). If you have something like a my gym or little gym or a dance studio close to you, take advantage of it. A lot of those places will even offer special homeschool classes during the day so that you don't have to wrestle with traffic and getting kids out the door at dinner time.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL