Health, Safety, Phy Ed - When would MFW cover these?

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
HeyChelle

Re: PE

Unread post by HeyChelle » Wed May 23, 2012 10:16 am

My kids like to watch videos from Al Kavado and then try new tricks. Warning: The videos are fun and clean, although Al and his brother do have tattoos and are usually shirtless. In case that's not good for you. Something about Al Kavado's big smile just sends the kids off to practice handstand pushups, pull ups, and plank tricks. And all of a sudden they are all strength training and they don't even know it.

We have a pull up bar and all the kids, except the 4 yo, can now do pull ups.
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

TriciaMR

When is "health" covered?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed May 29, 2013 10:16 pm

hsm wrote:I am wondering which year in the cycle "health" is covered? I am starting ECC and MFW for the first time with a 6th grader in August who obviously will not finish the cycle before high school. I realize this is a personal subject that families may wish to address on their own but I am wondering if it is covered in MFW cycle or if I need to add it.
Anatomy is covered in RTR. I think that would be a good time to add in "health:" eating healthy, fitness, etc.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

DS4home

Re: When is "health" covered?

Unread post by DS4home » Wed May 29, 2013 10:26 pm

There is a health elective course offered at the high school level. My dd has gone through it and enjoyed it.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

TriciaMR

Puberty Books?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:11 pm

jasntas wrote:I just posted our experiences with discussing the ... topic which made me start to wonder if anyone knows of any good books for girls and boys that help discuss puberty? We have discussed puberty with our kids and some of the things they are to expect but I was wondering if there are books on this subject as well? And, more specifically, if there are any from a Biblical perspective? TIA
For girls, there is the Care and Keeping of You book. Not necessarily "biblical" but it is about the facts of the changes in a girl's body, what to expect, how girls are all different, etc. There is a section on eating disorders, but I skipped that with my dd - figured we didn't need to go there - she's a dancer. This is one that is usually "recommended" by my Christian friends. It is matter-of-fact but gentle.

For boys... I'm not sure. I had a list of books for boys on this subject, but I can't find it now. I think there were only two recommended by a friend of mine.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

manyblessings

Re: Puberty Books?

Unread post by manyblessings » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:56 pm

There are the booklets, From Girl to Woman and From Boy to Man from Queen. I used them with my girls. They are intended for mother/daughter, father/son to read together, are Biblically based, and have no "imagination provoking" illustrations or descriptions, yet explains very clearly about the changes occurring during puberty in a God-honoring way.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:47 pm

I second The Care and Keeping of You Book. My dd 11 has read it and it gives the information clearly yet gently. I gave her the book after a lot of conversations on the "topic". We have open communication so she feels free to talk to me and ask me questions about anything. She was ps'd until age 10 so I have always been very open with her questions so that she received the correct (with a biblical emphasis) information from a reliable source (me) rather than from her peers. That open-ness between us has been the best parenting move I have made. She asks me anything and everything. There are times I tell her she isn't ready for such and such answer but she respects that because thus far I have been willing to address anything she brings to me. I always pray before our talks though because I feel God needs to direct these conversations.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:48 am

I second the From Girl to Woman by Queen, especially given the age of your dd. I'm so thankful that an incredibly dear cyber friend mailed me a copy to use with my dd. I have loaned it to several moms in my church homeschool group who have all loved it as well. It is gentle and effective.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

hsm

Health Curriculum

Unread post by hsm » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:35 am

ruppster02 wrote:I was wondering if anyone does a health curriculum? and one that works well at the elementary level . Thanks
We don't use a health curriculum per se, but we talk about health daily. We discuss proper eating habits, hygiene, exercise, etc. We sometimes read library books about health and my oldest daughter has the Care and Keeping of You book. "Health talk" is just a natural part of our day. We also do a health project through 4H and it comes with a project book/curriculum.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

4Truth

Re: Health Curriculum

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:10 pm

We've done a variety of things, from mini health unit studies that we've made up as we went along with library books, videos, coloring pages, an activity and maybe a field trip, to just reading and discussing an Abeka Health textbook.

You will address health topics along the way in MFW, too, such as studying various body systems during creation science in K, 1st grade, and CTG, and a full semester study of the human body in RTR. Be sure to check the Book Basket list for books (and sometimes video) recommendations on these topics as they come up! :)

I've also always included P.E. hours along with Health under Non-Core subjects. Again, these could be reading library books about various health and physical activity topics -- like the time my daughter wanted to learn how to play basketball so that she could play with her friends, so she got books from the library and looked up YouTube videos -- as well as any scheduled outside activities such as dance and gymnastics, exercise videos that the girls have done with me, going to the fitness center to swim or work out or run around the track, or riding bikes and going for walks. (I wouldn't count the bike riding and walking/running if they were just going outside to play and chose to ride their bikes for a bit, but I did count it when we were going for walks as a family on a regular basis, and would sometimes load up the bikes and go to a trail for riding and walking together.)

Hope this helps. :)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

zeo2ski

Re: Health Cirriculum

Unread post by zeo2ski » Tue May 06, 2014 2:08 pm

Our state requires health, and since I wanted to just be able to write down a book for reporting I got the Rod and Staff one...2nd grade I believe. It's not one I would recommend for content, but we read through it and there are some things I wouldn't have thought to teach before encountering.