Encouragement - Anyone struggle w/ rising early?

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Brandi

Encouragement - Anyone struggle w/ rising early?

Unread post by Brandi » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:20 pm

I'm new to mfw this year. I have homeschooled in the past, but skipped last year due to a very bad car accident. Praise God I have recovered! I'm looking foward to pre-K, K and Adventures.

Anyway, I want to share one of my biggest fears or an area that I continually think, "this is where I am going to fail", or "how am I going to do this?" or "why can't I get it together in this area?" In a nutshell: I struggle with getting up before my kids. Usually, they get up around 6:30 or 7:00 and I stay in bed and snuggle til . . . 8:30, unless we have to go somewhere.

Does anyone else struggle with this? Has anyone seen long term victory? Any tips or advice or encouragement?

A stricter schedule at night kind of scares me. But I am willing. It just feels kind of depressing to me. I like to stay up later and spend time with my dh.

I so want a good year, which I know is not soley dependent on me, myself, or I. On the contrary. I know God is bigger and more powerful than my fears (or even reality) of failures in this area. But I really feel Him "working" in me to develop a better habit. I often wish I was a morning person and could just automatically get up without a struggle. But that is NOT me and so I'm wanting to face the reality of this straight on. I'd so love some encouragment. Thank you for your time.

Brandi

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:55 pm

Brandi,

I'm glad you've recovered from the car accident. That must have been harrowing for your entire family.

Yes, I struggle with getting up and moving. I wake up early but sort of goof off before getting to work on whatever needs doing. I try to set for myself a certain "stop goofing off" time in the AM. At this time, I need to get up, get in the shower, and get on with the work the day has for me.

First off, if you are simply not a morning person, don't try to mold your family into being a "morning family." Enjoy the flexibility of homeschooling and start at 10 AM if you need. That should be okay.

And, although your dc are young, you could train them to get going on their mornings since they get up early. They could do certain chores, eat a bowl of cereal, practice their music, do bookbasket, or write grandma a letter before you get moving.

If you feel you need to get out of bed earlier, you can also get a local friend to be your accountability partner. She calls you (or vice versa) every school day at a certain time. Or have your dh call you when he gets to work to ask if you are up and going.

You know, take a look at how you spend your day. If you get up later and still "get it all done" and dh is okay with it all, starting later migth be perfectly fine. It feels good to know you were tucked in and warm when that big yellow bus lumbered through your neighborhood. If you find you are wasting time, then perhaps you need to get going in the AM, get school and chores done and then treat yourself to a 2 PM or so break. Check your email, read a book, sip some tea then.

There really is nothing to fear. Analyze what's going on during this AM time. There's nothing wrong (and a lot right!!!) with a morning snuggle with dh. There's nothing wrong with having your quiet time before getting out of bed. But if you are wasting time, then try to restructure what you are doing.

And, if you fear goofing up, then let go of the fear. Give it to God. He'll help you out and if you DO happen to goof up and waste an hour here or an hour there (or even an entire day), then He'll forgive you and you can pick up where you left off. We all struggle with something that God has to repeatedly help us with.

Why not also start your school year slow? "Turn on" one subject and one child at a time. Get your pre-k routine down and the next week add K. Then add Adventures (bit by bit if needed). Soon, you'll see what is working and what is not. You can adjust and move things around. Maybe math belongs before lunch. Maybe chores should be in the afternoon...

Finally, don't try to be someone else. We all know homeschool families that do things differently. Maybe they wake up earlier. Maybe they do a lot of enrichment classes. Whatever... Don't try to be like them or you will burn out. Be like YOU instead and ask God if there is anything you need to change about YOU and don't compare your family to theirs.

And enjoy that morning snuggle. You're starting your day on a positive note.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

melinda

Unread post by melinda » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:22 am

Why do you think you have to be an early riser? I'm such a night owl that early mornings are hard on me. Our school day doesn't start before 9am--and sometimes not before 10:30--because it does take a bit to get up and get going. Just do what works for your family. The previous post had some great advice.

I will say, that I have been trying to get up earlier. Only because I need time for myself without my girls. So taking some time to have a quiet time, workout on my elliptical and just plan my day has helped my days go smoother. Sometimes that's just the incentive I need to get out of bed!
Melinda & Co.
Girls (ages 8 and 7, 7 (ID twins))
Baby boy (1)
www.eagereyesofblue.blogspot.com

hsmom3

Unread post by hsmom3 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:18 am

Lately, I've been wanting to stay in bed longer. Thankfully, my children usually sleep till 8:00 sometimes 8:30.

But I do know if I get up earlier, I have time to go walking and I use that time for prayng. It really helps my day to go smoother. I find if I get up after my kids, they are already wound up and I'm not ready for it yet. I know that if I get in a habit of getting in the bed by 11:00, then I can get up at least by 7:30. But if I get into the habit of staying up later, I just can't seem to get up. If you tried to get up before your children (even just 15 min) and had some time with God, you'd be amazed at how different your day would be. But saying that, you shouldn't feel guilty if you are not a morning person. I have a friend like you. She has more energy at night and prefers to stay up late and accomplish things or just be with her husband. Since my husband has to get up a 5:00am, he doesn't stay up past 11:00. That's my incentive to go to bed because we don't like to go to bed without each other. Just pray and ask God to help you in this area and show you what you should do. BTW, we generally start school between 9:00 & 9:30. I don't like to feel rushed in the am.

Sorry for the rambling. But I do feel for you and pray God will guide you and give you peace.

Blessings,
Susan

scmlg

Unread post by scmlg » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:22 am

I will tell you that I joke with my friends about this. I tell them that my secret reason for homeschooling is that I can NOT get up for a school bus. Around here the buses come for the kids at 6:30, and that is just daunting to me. I'm so not a morning person.

So, our day is this, I get up around 8:00. We eat about 8:30. My goal is to start school by 9:30. Sometimes it does not happen till 10:00. We break for lunch, and then normally finish around 2:00.

Ever since our kids have been little they have had a digital clock in their room. I taped over the minutes, so that they can only see the hour. I told them that they are not allowed to get up until they see the number 7. They can read if they wake up, but they are not to come out of their rooms unless it's to go potty. Then right back to bed. This is still the rule. From there they get up and play in their rooms or downstairs where we have the majority of their toys. When I get up they have to start their chores while I cook.

I'll add that a part of why I can't just go to bed earlier is, cuz my DH gets home late from work. Then he wants to talk, and spend time together. So, again, we've just taken our schedule and go with it. I normally get time to excersise and have devotions when their schooling is done. Most days that's when I shower as well, cuz before school I wash the dishes and get myself ready to teach.

It's so doable. This is a blessing on why you homeschool, so that you can be flexible to your family needs.
Mom to 3 boys. Curtis, 11, Kyle, 9.5, Colton 3 years old. Live in Amish Country, Ohio.

Finished Adventures
Finished ECC
Finished CtoG
Working on R to R and a bit of preschool time

annaz

Unread post by annaz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:36 am

First let me say that I think it's fantastic that you are spending so much time with your dh! Many get put on the back burner, such as my dh because I'm always, always tired. Of course physically everything checks out year after year.

I am not a morning person. I never have been. I struggle with this as well. The difference is, my dh doesn't get much of my time because of it. I go to bed at 10pm and I get up at 8. (and let me add, I am out like a light) My dd gets up anywhere from 6:30 to 7:30, usually around 7. We start school at 11am. I have struggled with being tired ever since I had my dd. I think it's just all the constant attention kids need. I was always a "live by myself, quiet" person and I find non-stop talking, company, social things exceptionally tiring.

I have to base my days on what I've accomplished, not how late I sleep. If I get up at 6 or 6:30, I WILL desperately need a nap about 2pm. I'm not even coherent at that hour. I actually asked my dd if she wanted me to sleep later or take a nap and she said sleep in. I have gone around and around with this as I know she's excited when I'm up before her. I do know that my dh is up before her, so she's not alone.

I don't have an answer, but it is something I battle daily. But as I look back, I used to need 12-14 hours of sleep and I suppose 10 hours is alot less. But still there's this burning desire to be one of these energetic people who do well on 6 hours and are full of energy.

Annaz

BIKERMOM

Brandi, you are not alone !

Unread post by BIKERMOM » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:39 pm

Hi Brandi !
I just want to say that I so totally understand where you are coming from. I have struggled my whole life with this! I am learning to lean on my heavenly Father in this area. He knows my weaknesses and has promised that His strength is made perfect in my weakness. I have felt a prompting to give the Lord the first fruits of my day, no matter the time. He will direct me the rest of the day. I have had to let go of the expectations I placed on myself. They were unrealistic! They also were a distraction keeping me from His intended purpose.

Ask Him what you need to do- He will show you and equip you for it ! He is generous and concerned with everything that concerns you! I will be praying for you!

Laurie
wife to dh for 14 yrs
mom to 13yr ds,
12yr dd,
twins- 6yr ds

" If you give God the right to yourself, he will make a holy experiment out of you; His experiments always succeed !"

shannon

Unread post by shannon » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:00 pm

Oh, wow! I am so excited to know that other people struggle with this! Sometimes you feel like you are the only person in the world who sleeps a little late! It is something that I do desire to work on, but it's nice to know you're not alone!! Good luck to you all!

RJ's Momma

Unread post by RJ's Momma » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:33 pm

I also struggle with this. I get up with my dh at 4:50am. I make breakfast and make his lunch and see him off to work. I usually go back to bed after he leaves (I can fall back to sleep within minutes!!). Then, if I don't set the alarm (shame on me!!) I can sleep until about 9:00 and sometimes even later. I am a person that could stay up half the night and then sleep all morning - completely opposite my dh. Our dd is the same as me, though. So even if I have slept in until 9:00 I usually have to wake her up!!

This would be all great and fine, except it isn't to my dh who doesn't understand at all! So we are working on this. I can stay up in the morning, but I really need a nap in the afternoon. I used to think this meant an hour or more, but have found that a good, uninterrupted half hour works well too, and then I am tired and ready for bed at night. I haven't gotten into this habit, but am getting a little better.

Hope you can find some answers.
God Bless
Shannon

lofgrenhomeschool

Unread post by lofgrenhomeschool » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:50 pm

Our family is another of those night owl families. I work from home and get most of my work done after the kids are in bed. I usually work until midnight on average, so that puts me to bed around 1 am. I then sleep in until about 8 or 9 in the morning. Even times that I try to go to bed earlier to get up earlier, either I do not sleep or my dh does not want to go to bed this early and so I stay up late anyway to wait for him.

My kids also are not allowed out of bed in the morning except to go potty and they usually sleep about this late also. I usually just wait for the baby to wake up and start talking and I wake up when I hear it on the monitor and that is my clue to get up.

I get a lot more done at night after the kids are in bed. Every time that I have gotten up early to get stuff done before the kids, they wake up and hear me and want up too and then are cranky because they did not get their full night's sleep. I also understand the school bus thing. My son was going to preschool last year for speech therapy and I so hated having to be up early enough to have him on the bus by 7:30. I am so glad that it is summer and I can sleep in and next year he has afternoon preschool.

So, my only advice is what the others have said and to pray about it and do what works best for hubby. I too love snuggle times in the morning with dh and even our kids sometimes come and snuggle with us for a while. It is a lot nicer than being rushed out the door.

Christa

StarrMama

Unread post by StarrMama » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:44 am

Hi Brandi! Not much to say, except I'm one of those stay up later with my man/get stuff done and then sleep till the kids wake me up. Ya know, at some point (maybe this fall) I may try to have a certain "bedtime" but for now I am just taking it one day (night) at a time and trying to enjoy each and every day/moment that God gives me. I'm trying to not sweat the small stuff and like someone else said, if I get it all done each day then it's working and it's not a big deal if I start my day later than most! I pray you find peace and God reveals to you what's best for your family.
~Rose
Wife to Desi. Mama to Hope 8 (ECC), Owen 6(K), Emmaline 4 and Levi 2. Happily serving God in the inner-city of Denver,CO.
www.6starrs.blogspot.com

Brandi

Unread post by Brandi » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Hi All!
Thank you so much for all of your encouragement and helpful ideas! Its nice to know there are others who understand and can offer some sympathy/understanding/great thoughts and heartfelt prayers.
Thanks again for your thoughtful responses!
Brandi