Back to School - Ideas for parties & such

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
lea_lpz

Re: Ideas for K first day of school?

Unread post by lea_lpz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:58 am

We're starting tomorrow too! My daughter just turned five! Not getting anything special but got some really fun activities and snacks to compliment the Creation unit! Message me if you'd like to share ideas.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:59 am

One fun thing is taking a picture of your child holding up the TM for that year. I missed that for 2 of the years . . . I wish I had them all. Take a bazillion pictures! At the table with their new pencil box, in front of the wall map, in front of a tree in the yard . . . whatever you have. It's so much fun to look back, especially when your baby is almost as tall as you are now. Do that for *yourself*.

For your child; a special treat like a latte and donut, new clothes, new haircut, new school supplies, anything to help them feel like "I have arrived!" 8[]
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 pm

Cyndi (AZ) wrote:One fun thing is taking a picture of your child holding up the TM for that year. I missed that for 2 of the years . . . I wish I had them all. Take a bazillion pictures! At the table with their new pencil box, in front of the wall map, in front of a tree in the yard . . . whatever you have. It's so much fun to look back, especially when your baby is almost as tall as you are now. Do that for *yourself*.
What great thoughts! We did go out for ice cream the evening of our first day of K last fall, but no pictures! <sigh> I'll have to fix that when we begin 1st in a few months....lots of pictures!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

Meamommy

Unread post by Meamommy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Well today was Ethan's first day and it was a great great day with lots of pics, a special breakfast and lunch, and lots of new school supplies! <3 I was almost in tears, realizing that he is growing up so fast. I thought it would be easier not "sending" him to school, but it's not. Also made me sad to think of how I DID send my oldest off to school all on his own, until we started to hs. I am SO glad we are doing what we are doing now!
- Brooke :)

purpleheartwife

starting date and first day fun

Unread post by purpleheartwife » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:18 pm

sandi wrote:Just wondering when everyone was planning on starting school? I'm getting ready and excited. I will be doing ecc, ahl, and whl. I am planning on starting school first week in August.
Does anyone have any first day fun activities that they are planning on doing and would like to share?
We started last week and I have a post about it on our blog. We had a very special breakfast of peach ice cream with peach cobbler:)
Erin
Wife to my Purple Heart Marine:)
Mom to ds8, dd6, ds3, ds1
Our 1st year with MFW, using ECC
http://wateronthefloor.blogspot.com/

Ohmomjacquie

Re: starting date and first day fun

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:49 pm

We started july 2nd. Took pics on the front porch, made pancakes for breakfast (their fav) and then had them each tell me their favorites. like food, movie, book, color etc and put it in a word doc with their 1st day pic from the porch. I'll eventually print it out and have it with our stuff from this year.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:02 pm

I really love the first day of school. We started July 6th. Here's what we did our first day:

- The night before, I made signs on brightly colored paper saying "Welcome to 5th grade!" & "Welcome to Kindergarten!" and hung them on the wall in the dining room with balloon streamers taped around them.

- I put all of their school supplies (pencils, crayons, scissors, glue, etc.) inside small gift bags and set the bags at their spot at the table, with the larger or shared supplies (binders, wall map, construction paper, etc.) spread out in the middle of the table to look at together.

When the girls came out that morning to see the signs and "open" their school supplies - they loved it! It didn't take much of my time to toss their supplies into a bag and spread a few signs on the wall, and they enjoyed it almost as much as a little birthday party.

Then we ate cereal or cheese toast, and went outside to take "school pictures." :)

Love the first day of school....
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:04 am

Melissa,

Your first day sounds like so much fun! I love the "Welcome to Fifth Grade" sign idea, I may be borrowing that one:) I think we might go out for breakfast for our first day this year and take some pics, of course :) I picked up some Lego themed school supplies at Target the other day that my boys will LOVE and I plan to give them to the boys the first day. BTW, our official first day is August 27th.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:38 am

We started in late June. This is only our second year of official homeschooling, so I'm not sure if the things we do are quite "tradition" yet, but I think they are becoming tradition!

The day before the first day, on a day that my husband has off work, we let her choose a restaurant for lunch. It has been Chinese both times, but different restaurants. Then we go to buy school supplies... although we discovered there is limited availablity in summer, she doesn't need much anyway. She picks out a few cute folders or notebooks, pencils, etc. New markers and brand new crayons are a must. We try to make this day a fun and special day just for her, playing games with her and such.

On the morning of first day of school, Daddy has already left for work by 5:30 am so he is gone way before we get up. But he always leaves a long, sweet note to our daughter on a big dry erase board. It's a very encouraging note and he shares what he hopes she will learn this year. It usually makes me cry a little. ;) Especially since this is our only child and likely to remain our only, and she is growing up so fast. I take a photo of this, of course, because it is too precious to just let it fade away or get erased.

When she gets up and we're ready to start, we first mark her height on the wall and date it. I take a picture of this. Then she writes a sign on a small dry erase board with the date and what school year it is and we take pictures of her holding that. I try to plan some special crafty project on the first day, too. This year it was making a "treasure box" to put Proverbs memory verse cards in. She loved this!

I like the idea of the banner! Will do that next year!
Last edited by Yodergoat on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:18 am

We plan to start Aug. 6. I had thought we would start with math with all three dss, science for oldest (he has a little left over from last year to finish up), writing (using a new writing program) for older two, reading and spelling (using new spelling program) for my 3rd grader. I thought we would do just these subjects for the first 2 weeks and then start the rest Aug. 16. I have not put last year's stuff up and put out the new and not sure I will get to it before we start. I am trying to get things together for a yard sale. If I don't get to it before, we will probably use the first day to get it all organized. I do like the idea of having a special breakfast or go out for breakfast. Maybe we can even go out to breakfast with dad.

We are slowly getting excited. I think I burned my oldest ds and myself out last year so we have needed some extra break/rest time, but I received my Exp1850 package last week and am getting excited. Funny, but when UPS drove into my driveway, my oldest went running to his room saying, "No! No!". The rest of us (myself and my other three dss - including my almost 2 year old) tore into the package with great excitement. My 3rd grader even exclaimed with much excitement, "Hey, look guys! It's Story of the World!" Who else's 3rd grader gets excited about SOTW! 8[]

My oldest ds finally hesitantly came out of his room after hearing all the excitement and like a leary animal sniffing out the "new" stuff, he showed a little interest. He did say that it wasn't the actual material because he likes it overall, but that it is just school in general. He is not ready to start back. Of course, he is Jr. High and has resisted the extra work from the beginning. I am hoping that by the time we actually start that he will not protest too much! Maybe he can say with exctiement like his younger brother, "Yay! SOTW!" Actually, history and science are his favs.It's just the thought of math and writing, I think.

So....another couple of weeks, ready or not here we come.

Amy C.

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:37 pm

I am finally starting to look forward to starting school again. Our school year ran a bit longer than usual for us this past year. Our last day of CTG and 1st was June 13. So, I decided to give us a nice long summer break, because we really needed it, and we're going to start RTR on Sept. 4 (after Labor Day).

On our first day of school, I take "first day of school" pictures of the girls outside with their backpacks. The girls like to run to the end of the driveway or around the house as I (Mom) waves good-bye and then they come back to the house as I (teacher) greet my students. :-) Once inside, the girls are welcomed by "Welcome to 6th Grade" and "Welcome to 2nd Grade" signs. They label their folders and notebooks, make the cover page for their "other subjects" (besides history) binder, fill out an "All About Me" sheet for their binders, and we do what is planned for the first day in the MFW TM. We usually have a short school day the first day and go for a picnic lunch and/or on a field trip to the zoo. (This is what I am planning for us to do for the first day of school. We have done similar things in the past).

Oooh, just writing that gets me excited to start school! Yet, I am still enjoying summer, and I can wait just a bit longer to get back to our school schedule. Besides, I still have so much work to do to get ready...cleaning the school room, making copies of The Body Book sheets, finalizing plans for the first week of school. So, I'm in no rush to start. Getting excited, but not quite ready yet.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Poohbee wrote: On our first day of school, I take "first day of school" pictures of the girls outside with their backpacks. The girls like to run to the end of the driveway or around the house as I (Mom) waves good-bye and then they come back to the house as I (teacher) greet my students. :-)
Oh, our girls would love that, too! :-)

Love hearing when all of you Moms are starting your school & sharing ideas - Great post idea, Sandi!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:28 am

I LOVE the idea of "Welcome to -- grade" sign too! Thanks! My dd is starting 1st this year and is beyond super excited - I think that would be something fun. Had to chuckle with the boxes arriving bcs. that happens here too. The truck pulls up and my kids are out the door! :-) Want to tear into everything, look at everything, then I make them wait (terrible I know) and it just builds the suspense. Lol Our tradition is beginning of the year I will take pictures of the kids on the front porch in a favorite outfit. Fun to see how my son's head went from under the porch rail height to at porch rail height and now over porch rail height! I also want to try the Q/A for the year - fav. color, supper, etc. I did that his 1st g. year and it was hilarious! (fav. dinner was fried chicken from the grocery store! what?!) I forgot last year. Hm. Great post!!
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

momem3

Unread post by momem3 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:14 pm

I was just going to post a "Back-to-school" posting myself! I love this idea.

We are starting next Monday and I am getting very excited! Our main program will be ECC, with youngest DD doing MFW 1st for her phonics/reading. I am also going to "steal" the ideas about making signs welcoming them and the about me pages. We usually take pictures the first day of all the kids together, so that will probably happen again. I will probably just follow along with ECC guidelines on first day. I am a stick-by-the-manual sort of girl!

Happy 1st day to those who start later in the year!
Emily

kewkew34

1st day of school ideas

Unread post by kewkew34 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:35 am

cefcdana wrote:I remember this topic coming up last year but can't locate it in the archives....so what are your favorite things to do on the 1st day of school to make it fun? Can't wait for all of your fantastic ideas.
This isn't our first year homeschooling really. We have been home preschooling for the past 3 years. But this year, because Tabitha is in Kindergarten, I wanted to start some memorable traditions.

I took the girls' school pictures next to the easel where I wrote their grade (Tabitha is 5 1/2 and is in Kindergarten, Amelia is 4 and we are calling her grade K-4 because she will be doing a lot of the Kindergarten work and Hannah is 2 and in Tot School). We had done this last year, but I don't think it was on the first day of school.

The pictures weren't actually the first thing we did that morning. First daddy took Tabitha and Amelia out for breakfast. (I got this idea out of the Thriving Family magazine.) While they were gone Hannah helped me decorate with balloons and a banner. I also put out the girls' new pencil boxes with school supplies (pencil, crayons, glue stick and scissors (no scissors for Hannah). When the girls arrived home with daddy I met them outside and had them line up at the bottom of the steps while I took a couple of pictures (yes I am picture happy). Then I got a shot of them inside next to a sign saying "Welcome to School." They loved the balloons and were so excited for school to start.

At one point I thought about schooling year round, but now I am really liking the
idea of a first day of school.

By the way, if you would like to see pictures I invite you over to my blog, Tots and Me
http://totsandme.blogspot.com/2012/08/f ... n-our.html

And if you have shared about your traditions somewhere I have a linky you can link up to for Back to School Traditions.
Karen-Wife to Harold for 7 yrs
Mom to
Steven-21 grad of PS, Floyd-19 working on GED, Krystal-16 lives with her dad and in PS
Tabitha-6 started K Aug 2012
Amelia-4 1/2 tagging along in K
Hannah-3 Pre K and Letter of the Week
Harold III- 1

Ohmomjacquie

Re: 1st day of school ideas

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:21 pm

We do pictures on the porch of each and together. Then I asked questions like favorite movie, goods, color, etc. touted it up and put their pics in.

We gave started year round but will have june off g with july starting the new year so we will still have our first day festivities.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:49 pm

I think this is what you were looking for: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3591

We are starting next Monday. I'm getting anxious, again! LOL!!

Our first day activities are listed in the archives, too.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Buttercup78

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Here is our new 1st day of school tradition [Rainbow Resource]
It's called "My Yearbook" and I paid less than $2 each at our HS convention. The kids love them!
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

cefcdana

Unread post by cefcdana » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks for sharing!

I think I have decided on how to celebrate---
*donuts for bkfst
* decorate with balloons and streamers
* photos
* scavenger hunt to find their school supplies
* have them decorate their binders
* have them each pick out 1 thing they want to learn this year (and surprise them later in the year with their own special day where we put aside the normal books and learn about the topic they picked)

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Fun ideas...
I love the name 'tot school' for my 2 year olds I babysit & doing pics with their grade listed...great idea...

I am definitely going to do balloons & streamers....

I am breaking out that mini donut maker I got for Christmas and only used twice!!

I have all their boxes of last year's school work out and I have spent a little time getting everything nicely assembled nicely for display. (I recycled my binders and tied the papers to keep with hemp string to give it a scrapbook look. I added any special pictures they did that were loose to their art notebooks so they can be kept neatly.) We will lay these out for their dad to look through last year together and celebrate beginning our new year on Monday. It will be a little mini party before we leave for evening service tomorrow.

I'm getting ready for our 1st day Monday so these are fun ideas. Thanks for sharing.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Jami

Unread post by Jami » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:21 am

We had a special breakfast (cinnamon rolls, which are only for holidays), made iron-on t-shirts that they designed, I gave them candy pencils (rolos, a chocolate kiss, and paper), and we did pictures with a grade level sign. Here's a link to my blog post about it:
http://www.wehearthomeschooling.blogspo ... t-day.html

We usually have a first day of school treat and this year MFW had us make a world cake, which was perfect. One year I made a brownie that looked like a pencil.

I've done different things in the past so we don't really have traditions, just whatever I come up with that year.

I really like the scavenger hunt idea. I could have my six year old find a stockpile of scotch tape and he'd be in heaven. :)
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K