Schedule - Teaching (& modeling) time mgmt (whiteboard pic)

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
baileymom

Managing time we spend on each subject

Unread post by baileymom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:06 pm

marsha617 wrote:I am thinking of ways we can do things better in our homeschool. One downfall to years past is some subjects just take TOO long. Sometimes school goes all day - ugh.

For example, we use Saxon for math. We like it but it can be time consuming. My thought is teaching the math lesson should take 15 minutes and the worksheet 30 minutes. After 30 minutes we stop in order to move on to our next subject. What if a student doesn't finish in the time given? I feel like there has to be a stopping point but if work is not completed I don't think it should be left undone. I am willing to set a timer for each subject. I am using the daily schedule in my new ECC TM as a guide. What has made your daily schedule run smoother?
marsha
We've never been able to follow the schedule in the TM. The biggest "helper" for our schedule and assurance that things get completed was to school year round (taking daily/weekly breaks as needed). It takes the stress away, since we have 12 months instead of 34 weeks, and makes it much easier to just move on, when time is up that day. It's also nice that the kids aren't losing all concept of routine and schoolwork every summer.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

jasntas

Re: Managing time we spend on each subject

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Just a thought. If you think the worksheets shouldn't take more than 30 minutes and the child is just dragging their feet, you could always assign the remainder of the work to be completed as 'homework'. The child would then be responsible for completing the assignment on their own time. That time assigned by you, of course. It could be after everything is done for the day and before they can have free time. Or while you are preparing lunch or dinner. Or 30 min. before bed time. Whatever works for you. I have actually done this before with independent work such as math. It didn't take but once or twice and my dc wanted to be finished in the allotted amount of time. :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:17 am

jasntas wrote:If you think the worksheets shouldn't take more than 30 minutes and the child is just dragging their feet, you could always assign the remainder of the work to be completed as 'homework'.
Yes, I think this is key. What's the cause of the extra time?

1. If the child is dawdling, I agree with homework.

2. However, if the child just need more days to complete the assignments, I wouldn't worry about when you finish the text. Keep an eye out later for lessons that your child doesn't need as much time on and maybe you can catch up, but for now if he needs more time, that's a blessing of homeschooling. My youngest is pretty good at math, but when he gets to a "hard" concept, he sometimes just needs to dwell in it a while and slowly absorb it.

3. Or, are the Saxon lessons unnecessarily long and some problems could be skipped? I know lots of folks skip some of the Saxon problems -- some just do odds or evens, and others examine the problems to decide which are repetitive and which are new material.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:22 am

marsha617 wrote:After 30 minutes we stop in order to move on to our next subject. What if a student doesn't finish in the time given? I feel like there has to be a stopping point but if work is not completed I don't think it should be left undone. I am willing to set a timer for each subject.
Marsha,

If the child is dawdling, then perhaps making it "homework" to be done after you finish everything else would be good. If the child is working diligently, then, well, let them finish the next day, especially on a subject like math?

For us, the last two years (ECC, and the CTG), it actually worked best for us to do some the "fun stuff" first. So, we did Bible, Geography/History, and Science first (and sometimes, my little guys sat in on those, sometimes not.) Then, I would go over my dd's independent work (math, vocabulary, science pages (ECC), math drill, etc) with her and she would do that while I spent time with my little guys. Then, I would check her math or help her finish math, do English, Spelling, Spanish, Art, Music, Writing Strands and anything else I'm forgetting (like hands on activities). I found in ECC, some days really did take more than the allotted time in the schedule in the TM. But, other days would breeze right through. Same with CTG. There were days when the History would take the exact time allotted, and other days it was less or more.

My dd had writing issues in 2nd and 3rd grade (she's gotten much better this last year), and school would take us a loooong time finish. (In 2nd grade we did Abeka, poor kid. Too much writing for her.) So, in 3rd grade we did quite a bit orally, or double dictation.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:27 am

some times math can be done out loud together
or sitting nearby each other.
speeds it up.

but I use Singapore in elementary and wait on Saxon until older.

jasntas

Using a timer with an easily frustrated child?

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Lisa77 wrote:This is my first year using MFW, and I love it. My children love it also. I have a 4th grader, a 1st grader, and a 3yo who joins in with some of the activities and book basket. The kids are learning a lot. My 4th grader is doing so much better this year, it's a night and day difference. Even in POE, which scared me at first, they are retaining so much more than I thought they would. However, there are activities that I left out, because of time. I don't have a set time for when we start and finish each subject. We just do them in a specific order.

I'm wondering if we could fit in everything if I used a time and set amount of time for each activity. At the same time it's taken me 2 years to build my son's confidence to where he doesn't break down at every mistake. He's actually enjoying learning, and we have had fun this year. I'm worried that a time might cause him to start rushing thru things too quickly. How important is it to fit everything in versus developing a love of learning?
I have a ds who is the same way about making mistakes.

I do still set a timer when needed, though. I use it when my dc are dragging their feet. I have a good idea about how much time a subject should take and when I find it is consistently taking longer, I set the timer. BUT I set the timer at about double the amount of time that I think the subject should actually take. If it's not, the remainder of the work is homework. That rarely happens. :)

It took a little time for my ds to not freak out when I would set the timer but I would (and still) always assure him that he had plenty of time to complete the task if he worked diligently and methodically.

The timer is my friend. Otherwise we might never get anything done.

I also tell them that if they don't get their 'work' completed in a timely manor then we don't have time for the 'fun' stuff. That helps, too.

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

cbollin

Re: Using a timer with an easily frustrated child?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:26 am

Lisa77 wrote: How important is it to fit everything in versus developing a love of learning?
good question on that tug of war.

For ages you have, I"d lean on the love of learning side.

do you feel the 4th grader is not getting up to his ability in math/language arts in the afternoon? Those afternoon things would be where if it were me for my children, I"d look at sticking to timer so there was a fixed end to the subject (assuming child is working well and not just dragging it out. Tammie has good suggestions on the reality check.).

Sounds like you are getting a lot done. What kinds of activities aren't always getting done? maybe those could be done as some "family fun" time before dh leaves for work, or weekend as fun stuff around the house?

-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:12 pm

I have 3 kids... Here's how we use the timer... To keep us on track...

We start with Bible (no timer), then I rotate one-on-one with my kids through Spelling (15 min each), English (10-15 min each), Reading (10 min each)and Math (untimed). Two of my three are dyslexic, so I could spend way more time with them on those subjects if I didn't have a cut-off for me. Now, when I'm doing these topics with my kids, the other two are doing something independent (math drill, handwriting, memorizing AWANA verses, note drill, cleaning room/desk, Rosetta Stone, book basket, and Wii Fit).

Here's the deal... Try it. If it upsets him, stop using it. My oldest is dyslexic, but I didn't know until about 1/2 way through 2nd grade. Setting a timer made things worse for her back when we were doing our "workbook" curriculum. She would freak out over having a timer. One of my sons, on the other had, loves having the opportunity to beat the timer and always wants to work as fast as possible. But, then we get messy handwriting.

No harm in trying it and seeing how he reacts.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Lisa77

Unread post by Lisa77 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Thank you all for your responses. My son has ODD and pattern behaviors of Asperger's. I do take away his fun stuff outside of school. If I took away the fun stuff from the curriculum my daughter would suffer. And I do want them to love to learn. It's hard to try to find that right balance. We do end up doing some of the fun things on the weekend. We end up rushing thru things more than I would like.

I tried following the schedule the way it's lined out in the curriculum. I just adjusted it to make it flow more smoothly for us. Crazy as it sounds, if I don't, my son is holding back my daughter. In the afternoon I don't feel like he is working up to his potential. He doesn't like those subjects, and drags his feet. One thing that I don't understand is that he does really well doing 'math drill'. He does it quickly and very accurately. But he fights me on doing his math assignments. I write out their math drills the night before so they can both do it at the same time.

We don't always do music, but yesterday I started playing the CD in the truck. We didn't do the maps of their rooms, make the paper dolls or do the map of our town. I guess mostly we are skipping art and music, and catching up on my son's math and english items on Saturday. So, it's just taking longer than I feel like it should.

I'm going to try the timer to see how it goes. Maybe I should make a chart so he can have a visual of his progress or lack of.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 am

thanks for more info and insights... I like your idea of making a visual chart of expectations for the day. Small rewards to motivate him. it might be a mark it off when you are done, or fill in the chart when you are finished. (I finished that cross it off, vs. yeah I did this, wahoo)

with ODD going on, you might think and ponder about the idea of not taking away outside activities if the person in charge of that activity is making a connection with him in positive ways. too many factors and you know best on that. sometimes the outside connection on "how's your school going" can motivate a kid. but you know better on that.

I would also as mom keep a record of all the good things that we got done today and celebrate what did get done. ECC 2nd edition is a very full year, and adding in 1st grade things... you are probably getting a lot done each day, even if it isn't all check boxes marked off. I've had plenty of days where we get through "mfw stuff" and then, middle gal's brain is too full to do all language arts and math.

Also, I agree with you, that some times , the grid order seems to break up the day, so I do Bible, history, etc.... Other days, it's nice to go straight down the line. lots of variation in my house over the years.

and as Trish said, use the timer and see how it goes on the 3R's. can he do the math worksheets out loud with you? would that speed it up? can dh sit with him for 15 minutes during math worksheets.
what are you using for lang. arts/math? maybe someone has some tricks to help for that level?

HeyChelle

A Schedule Board?

Unread post by HeyChelle » Thu May 24, 2012 9:42 am

lauramb wrote:I was hoping to come here and find some visual aids (I'm a visual learner) for the dry-erase board schedule that the Hazell's use and that I heard Mr. Hazell reference in some of his conference lectures. I think I understand the concept, but it helps me to see examples. I have four children (1st, 3rd, 4th, and 8th). We will be doing RtR with the older three and the 1st will be doing 1st. I really like the idea of having a large white board with their assignments on them that they can erase as they get them done. Currently I give each of them an individual weekly schedule that I print out and put in a 3 ring binder that they can check off. But it's not always out where we can see it and they often leave out independent work because we don't have a constant reminder in front of us.

I'd like to see some examples. And I'd like to know for others who use this, what things you include. Do you include all their chores? Is it only independent work? How big does it need to be? Logistically speaking how long does it take to fill in the blanks each night/morning for the day? I can see it getting tedious and an added chore on my part to get the thing set up on a daily basis. But if it would really help, I would want to do it. Maybe at least for the essential stuff?

Thanks so much for any input!
Laura
And if anyone has this, and it works for you, can I come sit at your feet and learn from you? :)

Right now I use my Motivated Moms calendar - full page, plus chore charts. But I'm going to need to step it all up for next year.
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

cbollin

Re: A Schedule Board?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu May 24, 2012 10:15 am

I don't know if it would help or not... but here is a small picture of the white board that David shows on power point in his workshops
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 300#p46300

and hopefully Dawn can chime in and link to her schedule from her workshops... I know I had a link to it somewhere...
here (it's more master schedule versus what each child has to do, or which chores get done which day)
http://www.cape-nm.org/wp-content/uploa ... Hudson.pdf

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu May 24, 2012 10:23 am

Here's a long post about the very basic marker board system I used for independent activities in elementary:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 1829#p9770

My system changes all the time. I have a 10th grader now, so he has his own MFW manual to check off. But things got confusing here for a while, so I made a simple list for each day...

__ Bible
__ Math
__ English
__ History
__ Science
__ French
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

lauramb

Unread post by lauramb » Thu May 24, 2012 2:22 pm

Thank you for the replies. I have skimmed through the threads and found a number of things that I think I will start with and then tweak it as we go along. I just needed some inspiration to get me going. It also opened up all kinds of ideas in other areas as well. Lots of good information! Thanks!

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Thu May 24, 2012 5:05 pm

I made a photocopy of the MFW grids for each child in a different color. So, each week, oldest (12) will be given his blue sheet with all assignments written in. He will mark them off as he does his independent work. Same for middle (8). Kindergartener has her own grid sheet and she will mark off as we go.

Our goal is to move toward independence as a part of responsibility. I expect the children to eventually look ahead on their grids (not youngest yet) and plan out things. Granted this will be a training process, but one we are committed to.

Good luck.
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Thu May 24, 2012 6:42 pm

I did this...
I wrote in the subjects - then each week I wrote in the assignments & he crossed them off as they were completed (erasing would work too). It worked great - we only did it for independent work.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

blessedmomof3

Unread post by blessedmomof3 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:58 am

I also wanted to add these links to "mishmash maggie" a.k.a. Lanie, who has a blog/video describing her use of her whiteboard.

http://www.mishmashmaggie.com/2008/08/white-board.html

http://www.mishmashmaggie.com/2010/09/p ... sents.html (this one just click on the picture of her).

These really helped me a lot.

Kelli

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Fri May 25, 2012 4:22 pm

I use an Assignment board.. It is different then how the Hazels had theirs..

But its sorta like MishMash Maggie...

I'll describe whats on the right hand side of my white board.. It says the days of the week on one side, and the subjects on the other. I wrote it in Wet Erase Marker. Then I assign each kid in dry erase marker in a specific color. So it might say Math- Video on Monday, A and B on Tuesday, C and D on Wednesday, E and F on Thursday and Test on friday.. and so on. But if we need to slow it down I just erase and adjust. That way my older three can work independently while I mother the younger set. They wipe off as they've finished something.

ON the left side i have the verse of the week, where we are in history, EFRU words, and any other assignments they could do on their own that week.. Like sometimes reading from Ancient World or working on a Notebook page.. I'll just list those out for the week in one spot and they can work on them if they finish early.
momonthemove wrote:I made a photocopy of the MFW grids for each child in a different color. So, each week, oldest (12) will be given his blue sheet with all assignments written in. He will mark them off as he does his independent work. Same for middle (8). Kindergartener has her own grid sheet and she will mark off as we go.

Our goal is to move toward independence as a part of responsibility. I expect the children to eventually look ahead on their grids (not youngest yet) and plan out things. Granted this will be a training process, but one we are committed to.
that is an excellent idea! I might try it next year, especially with my oldest!
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

lauramb

Unread post by lauramb » Fri May 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Wow. Thanks for all the inspirational ideas.

We have currently been using a chart that I print out that has two weeks on one side. By using both sides I can get four weeks' worth of work on one page. I just fill in the grid with page numbers and assignments. I then slip it in the cover of my son's three-ring notebook and he can check off using a wet-erase marker what he has gotten done. At the end of the two weeks I can then wipe off the marks and flip the page over/insert a new page. This picture is an example of this system that I have used. This system worked well with one older son as he was getting to be more independent. And it even worked well with two sons working independently.

But next year I'll have all four kids working and I just don't think it will work to try to dig out folders/charts for each of them to make sure they are getting their work done. I think having it up in front of everyone on a daily basis will help give us cues and reminders of what we need to get done. I already use a whiteboard for all kinds of different things. But this is a great way to put a school schedule together, too.

And, I've used the wet-erase/dry-erase application for years now. Such a great way to utilize whiteboards and chart/grid applications.

Laura
Attachments
photo1.JPG
Our current method of scheduling independent work.
photo1.JPG (81.07 KiB) Viewed 7731 times

mlangley

Unread post by mlangley » Sat May 26, 2012 8:57 am

blessedmomof3 wrote:I also wanted to add these links to "mishmash maggie" a.k.a. Lanie, who has a blog/video describing her use of her whiteboard.

http://www.mishmashmaggie.com/2008/08/white-board.html

http://www.mishmashmaggie.com/2010/09/p ... sents.html (this one just click on the picture of her).
Thank you - I had not seen this and helped me to see it all laid out!

I am loving all these ideas!! Thanks everyone for sharing. Now, decisions, decisions.
Grace Christian Homeschool

Using CTG & AHL with 3 children

Ohmomjacquie

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Sat May 26, 2012 9:10 am

I recently read about a neat idea. They have a clipboard for each child. Then there are three color sections like a stop light, red yellow green. Green activities are independent, yellow are with mom and red are projects that can only be done after other things ate finished. Not sure if we will use it but I thought it was a cutse idea.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

cbollin

S/O Schedule Board, workboxes

Unread post by cbollin » Wed May 30, 2012 3:26 pm

ivparker wrote:So I'm wondering how you guys do it. I would love to do a schedule board or even work boxes but I can't figure out how to do it. I think Crystal posted a sample of the Hazel's schedule board and I noticed they have everyone doing math, first, then L.A. Etc. I like this idea but my problem is that I have lots of little ones so they aren't really independent yet. So for math, I need to spend at least 5-10 min working with each of them before they can do the work on their own. So it would be really hard for me to have them all doing math, and honestly, other then maybe spelling, there really isn't any independent work yet. I'm just confused at how to do it and wonder if any other with lots of littles can chime in. I also would prefer not having lots of other busy work that I need to make copies of to fill the time, but... maybe that is my only option? My kids will be in 3rd grade, 2nd grade (not a very good reader), 1st grade, and Kindergartner, and one toddler, next year.
When setting up stuff for them to do independently:

look at what they can do independently that is "educational"..... is it "looking through picture books by themselves"? is it "games from the first grade math section" (once you've taught them the rules and what to do of course.... but those roll the dice, flip the buttons and stuff...) or can they play the computer game with out you? (that's my kids by the way...) It doesn't have to be can they do their MFW stuff on their own. But it is more (in my opinion) about helping them to be productive when you are not available to direct their every minute.

I have to be very honest here... I've never done those workboxes, or schedule boards, or color coded clip boards. :) I have always interpreted what David was saying was not that everyone was on the same subject all the time. But rather it was everyone has to do these things at some point in the day. it can be at staggered times. mom would work with someone for a few minutes and get them started so they could do do something independently.

In my family? it looks very different from any one else out there.
Oldest - high school.... very different... get your work done.. you've been on FB for an hour... go do your school now... or at least empty the dishwasher and then get some school done. oh? you got done already? mow the back yard and tree lawn... dad will finish the south-40 when he's home.

Middle gal and Youngest - both still need lots of direct instruction. My middle gal has some issues with being distracted very easily. A squirrel can go by and she's watching that...... But over the years, she's built up to where she can do her math workbook more on her own..

Youngest - independent work is computer play or other play. moderate autism...

house cleaning? oh please.... dishes, and clothes.. the rest? eh? when we get to it. I know.. that doesn't make for picture perfect blogs, or catalog covers,
I don't know how/when I get it done... I do the next thing. some days of the week have certain chores with them. We do those. Some days we go to outside classes (archery, ballet, speech therapy, etc)

I hope those with the right skills answer you or find a blog that explains it step by step so you can take the beginner steps you need to establish new habits over a month or so that will help you.

-crystal

momonthemove

Re: S/O Schedule Board, workboxes

Unread post by momonthemove » Wed May 30, 2012 3:55 pm

I have a 7th grader, 3rd grader, and Kindergartener this year. :)

I know my numbers are not as many or as young as yours. LOL But, I will comment on my middle one last year. We worked to make him more independent. I would start him and then he would work on things. He could copy his own spelling list, his math was computer based. I would help give him instructions for his English and then he would start and ask when he had questions. There were times I found him asking for help when he didn't need it and hadn't really tried. So, we worked on training him.

With your oldest two, I would really make a part of your focus on helping them to become more independent. We did with our middle last year, and it makes a difference.

there are also times when I just work with one of my children. We get the things done we need together, and the other two play individually or together. I have seen many people assign older siblings with younger ones so that you can have littles busy while you work one-on-one.

Schedules with times never work for me because I stress if we get off schedule! LOL

What I did was make a form that had each child in a box. THen I would bullet what needed done with each child. Then when we were done, i would check it off. For example...

Jake
Math
Spelling
Reading
English Workbook
Science Reading

JT
Math
Vocabulary
Reading
English Grammar
Science Experiment

As we were done, the kids loved crossing off their things. This grid was for the full week. So, on M, W, F we did English. I could write in what pages, etc. for them to do so they could look and do it without mom.

This is my first year coming up to use MFW but I have copied each childs sheet on a different color. So, I have two copies of the grid for ECC (since my 7th and 3rd will work together). They will be trained to look for their color and work on those things they can do themselves while I am working with another. My youngest is in K and will have her own color grid as well. I plan to write in assignements, pages, chapter numbers in the grid so they can work ahead while waiting for mom.

Another tip is that we start in the mornings. I try not to schedule anything outside of the house in the mornings as that is our most productive time.

As for reading with my older two, the oldest usually reads before bed so I take that subject out of the daytime and he does it at night. If it is going to be a late night due to activities out of the house, then he reads that afternoon when we have quiet time. With my middle, we started the year with him reading aloud to me so that I knew he was reading and comprehending. We are now at the point where he can read alone and I just ask a few questions! It has been great to see that growth and see him getting excited to read alone....not with mom anymore! LOL (That is his independent reading, not our read alouds)

You will find a rhythm. It just takes time and a willingness to adapt it some days! LOL Good luck!
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

proud2bmykswife

Unread post by proud2bmykswife » Wed May 30, 2012 4:15 pm

We're in our 3rd week of MFW K and 2nd week of ECC. My children are 15, 12, 9, 7, 5, and 3; the five youngest are on the autism spectrum, so we deal daily with meltdowns and behavior issues. I can share what I've been doing and maybe you can glean something. I used to try to have a set schedule everyday, but the meltdowns and behavior issues made that too difficult so we just have an order for doing things. I did find a lesson plan sheet set up by another mom for ECC that I use. It's in Word and so each evening I type in the next days assignments for each child, print out, and put in the front of their binder. This way they know what to do each day.

7:30 Right after breakfast as soon as 1/3 of the table is cleared, while the older ones are finishing kitchen cleanup, I work with my 3 and 5yr olds. 5yr old does 2pgs in Mathematical Reasoning and 4 pgs in Rod and Staff ABC series (we are almost finished with these). 3yr old does a pg each from Kumon pasting and tracing, plus a color by number page.
8:00 The older 4 start their schoolwork (handwriting, reading, book basket, math, spelling, English, Progeny Press lit guide (I help with math, spelling, English as needed with 9 and 7 yr olds as my older do work pretty much independantly; we haven't started Spelling Power yet).
8/8:15 I start K with my 5 yr old and the 3 yr old sits in for some of it or gets a game or prek activity to do.

Whenever we finish with K (usually an hour) my 5 and 3 yr olds will watch a 30 minute dvd and I will finish helping my older four with stuff. Then we start ECC Bible, Geography, Science. Sometimes my little ones will sit in on the art, music, and read aloud after their dvd. Depending on how things are going with my little ones' behavior we may save any student worksheets for later. Some days we finish before lunch, but usually not. We stop at noon and try to start up again at 1PM, but usually whatever is left after lunch can be finished independantly or my 15 and 12 yr olds help my 7 and 9 yr olds. My 15 yr old is also doing the Geography Coloring book and Exploring the World Around You so she sometimes still has stuff to do when the others are done.

We school at the dining room table and the dining room opens to the living room. So my younger ones will play in the living room where I can easily monitor what is going on. Most of our toys, games, activity and manipulative type stuff are in locked cabinets, so I only have to deal with 1-2 items out at a time.

We have a quick pick up at lunch time while one child fixes sandwiches, then another pick up time at 4:30. This keeps the house from looking to much like a disaster area too.
Laurie, married to my hero 27yrs
dd 26 getting married in June, 23, 20; ds 25 in India
dd 16, 13 AHL
dd 10, 8 ECC, 6 1st, 4 1/2 K

DairyQueen

Unread post by DairyQueen » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:04 pm

I will have a 3rd grader, 1st grader, 2 year old, and newborn this coming year.

I plan to room train the toddler to play in his room for 30 minutes (I have music and a basket of toys for each day, plus books). I will have 3rd grader either start on what she can independently. . . I hope on Mondays to go over all the lessons for the week as long as she can handle it. . . she will be doing Rosetta Stone and a typing program both on a computer, so she can do those first if she needs help with the other things. I will start my teaching time with the 1st grader. We will do her reading together, then I'll teach her math lesson and handwriting. She will have activities from all of those to do after our teaching time - I plan on her time to take 20-30 minutes, then about 15-30 minutes of work on her own. When toddler is done with his playtime, we will have a little break - I will spend some time with the toddler, may be have a snack and read him a book. Hopefully by then 1st grader will be done with her work and can play with the toddler for a while and I will spend time teaching the 3rd grader.

We eat an early lunch and right now the toddler is down for a nap by 11:30. That's when I'll get both girls together for MFW.

I don't know how neatly it will all work out each day with a newborn and toddler, but we will hope for the best :) I plan to set up a 30 minute block schedule, but I refuse to let it run my life so that I make everyone miserable to catch up to it :)