Schedule - Teaching (& modeling) time mgmt (whiteboard pic)

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
TriciaMR

Schedule on the white board...help!

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:11 am

afelton wrote:I really need help understanding how the schedule on the white board works. I attended a few of David Hazell's sessions at convention and saw that they do a schedule on the white board. I love the idea but didn't understand how to implement it. Could anyone explain? I was trying to watch a video about how Mishmash Maggie does it but the video kept freezing. :| Anyway, if you have any ideas, know how the Hazell's do it or how you do it that would be terrific.
TIA,
Amanda
I think (and this is just my interpretation), is they have codes on the board: P = piano, B = clean bedroom, L = fold laundry, S = science notebook page, H = history notebook page, etc., and then the kids can erase the letters when they have completed something. (Of course, you probably need to schedule Mom inspection/check work time.)

I even think one of the letters indicates a younger sibling to play with.

Remember, just do what works for YOU.

I use a pocket chart and write things on 3x5 cards and we flip them over when we're done... the kids know what is next. But I just do that for school. I need to do it for chores and such, too.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Joyhomeschool

Re: Schedule on the white board...help!

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:42 am

Here is how I did it..

____________________ Math________Handwriting_______LA ____Spelling____Writing_____ Piano______Chores
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday

I made it a grid using WET erase Markers. Then I filled in the grid using DRY erase markers, a different color for each kid.. Under Math it might say in green L2 pA (we use MUS) and in blue L4 pB and so forth. Or under LA it might say L. 122 in pink and L 20 in blue. ... they worked through thier books and erased as they went. Piano just had an initial so they remembered to practice that day. You could also have a coloum for MFW stuff they can do alone like noteobooking pages.

You can sorta see my grid on the corner of my whiteboard in this picture.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

purpleheartwife

Unread post by purpleheartwife » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:22 am

We don't actually use a dry erase board, but I laminate our schedules and fill them in with dry erase markers so the kids can erase what they have done as they finish it. Here is a post I did about it: http://wateronthefloor.blogspot.com/201 ... -week.html
Erin
Wife to my Purple Heart Marine:)
Mom to ds8, dd6, ds3, ds1
Our 1st year with MFW, using ECC
http://wateronthefloor.blogspot.com/

afelton

Unread post by afelton » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:57 am

Those are great ideas. Does anyone else use the whiteboard for your school schedule?

I really like the laminated chart idea too. Hmmm...now I have to decided! Lol
Using MFW since 2010.
Wife of Terry since 2002.
M (12) Exp to 1850
H(10) Exp to 1850
E (10) Learning God's Story(recently adopted)
C(8) Exp to 1850
J(6) Learning God's Story

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:02 am

Here's the simple white board method I used once upon a time: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 684#p45717

And a couple posts below that is the white board from convention talks by David Hazell.

More good ideas on that thread, too.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

afelton

Unread post by afelton » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks Julie. That helps some. I just need to sit down and write out a few rough drafts. We start school on Monday so I want have it figured out by then. I tried workboxes last year but didn't really like it.
Using MFW since 2010.
Wife of Terry since 2002.
M (12) Exp to 1850
H(10) Exp to 1850
E (10) Learning God's Story(recently adopted)
C(8) Exp to 1850
J(6) Learning God's Story

hsm

scheduling

Unread post by hsm » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:36 am

I am putting together our school stuff for this upcoming year and I really want to get a schedule/routine going. I don't need minute by minute planning but with 2 adhd/sensory kids, I need to get a routine going so they can function better. Do you post your routine/schedule so the kids can see what is coming? I will be teaching 1st and CtG with my 4th and 7th graders. 7th grader is one of my adhd kids and needs a lot of reminders/hand holding. She will of course be starting Apologia general science. We are doing R&S math which I have to teach her. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Also, any organizing tips for me? Do you copy the TM lesson plan for your children to mark off or do you have them write in a planner? She has a planner but is not very good at writing things in it. I was thinking of getting a crate for each child's individual books/supplies so they always know where everything is. This past year we used magazine holders and it was just okay.

Could I also hear what chores your kids do? My kids are 12, 9, and a young 6.5.

Sorry for the disjointedness of this post! If you can understand what I am asking, bless you! :-)
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

DS4home

scheduling

Unread post by DS4home » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:46 pm

hsm wrote:I am putting together our school stuff for this upcoming year and I really want to get a schedule/routine going. I don't need minute by minute planning but with 2 adhd/sensory kids, I need to get a routine going so they can function better. Do you post your routine/schedule so the kids can see what is coming? I will be teaching 1st and CtG with my 4th and 7th graders. 7th grader is one of my adhd kids and needs a lot of reminders/hand holding. She will of course be starting Apologia general science. Math I have to teach her. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Also, any organizing tips for me? Do you copy the TM lesson plan for your children to mark off or do you have them write in a planner? She has a planner but is not very good at writing things in it. I was thinking of getting a crate for each child's individual books/supplies so they always know where everything is. This past year we used magazine holders and it was just okay.

Could I also hear what chores your kids do? My kids are 12, 9, and a young 6.5.

Sorry for the disjointedness of this post! If you can understand what I am asking, bless you! :-)
Every year I make up a "school schedule" for each child. It is simply a list of their school subjects going down the left side of the page with their name centered at the top. I use a different font each year to make it fun. Anyway, this is my master. Every day I scan/copy the master for each kid. Some subject lines I need to write in page numbers for that day, like math. Then the kids are in charge of checking off the subjects as they are completed.

They LOVE this! They can clearly see what is coming next, they can see how many have been checked and how many are left to do, it is a great motivator to check off one more thing. Many times I find a very large check mark on the Last Item when it's done. ;)

I like this method because it ended all the questions of how much more....what's next....etc. They don't have to write their assignments anywhere, just check them off. It's simple and effective and has worked for years for us. I like just having the daily list for them.

Some people like to copy the weekly grid in the TM for the kids to check off. That works too, I just didn't want to overwhelm them with the whole weeks worth of work before them. Probably personal preference, I just like the daily list. It's also easy to cross off a subject when it's not scheduled for the day. The kids love to see items that Mom crossed off!! Less work, yeah!!

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

hsm

Re: scheduling

Unread post by hsm » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:07 pm

I love this! So simple. I was thinking of doing a weekly one or copying the grid but just like you said it is way too overwhelming for my dc. A daily one they can check off would work much better for them.

Thanks for the idea!
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

TriciaMR

Re: scheduling

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:41 pm

I post our order-of-the-day/routine either on our whiteboard or use a pocket chart (and if we use a pocket chart, we flip over the subject when we're done).

You might want to look into Workboxes. Basically, you get a set of 10-12 "boxes" (or drawers) and put each subject in a different drawer, with all the necessary things with it (pencil, crayons, marker, calculator, ruler, protractor - whatever is needed to get that assignment done). These are great for ADHD/ADD kids because they know exactly where to go to find what to do next - just work through the drawers.
hsm wrote:I have thought about workboxes but wasn't sure how to do it with mfw since there are so many together subjects/books. Any suggestions?
Some people will do all the "together" stuff first, and then all the individual stuff in workboxes. Others start with individual stuff, then take a break with "together" stuff - and the kids just pick up wherever they are. I would choose the first option. That has worked well for us (we used hanging file folders for a while) - doing together stuff: Bible, History (or Geography), Science first; and then I work with each one individually while they work on stuff they can do buy themselves.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog