Encouragement - About to begin homeschooling! Transitions.

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Ohmomjacquie

Re: Transitioning from private school to homeschool

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:05 am

Hi! My oldest went to school til end of k. We have used other things but will be using mfw adventures next year for third next year.

When she finished k I talked up all the fun hsing would be and got phone numbers for close friends so we could let dd play with her friends still. Good luck to you as you plan for next year.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

carlamom2ansnm

Unread post by carlamom2ansnm » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:04 am

Welcome to the world of homeschooling. It truly is a world of it's own...an amazing world :). I have 3 girls, 10, 7 and 4. We were in public school up until this last year. We enjoyed our school years and my kids are very social creatures so I was concerned how they would handle being home more. The reality is that they love it. Because of their experience in the school atmosphere, they're actually able to see how much better off they have it now. I have worked hard to make sure they are involved in homeschooling groups with plenty of friends. We unfortunately didn't go with mfw last year, despite being drawn to it over and over again. Happy to say that I finally listened to my calling and have all of my supplies to start in the fall and I can't wait! Enjoy your new adventure!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:02 pm

I brought my wiggly willy home to school in 3rd grade and now he's a big old 10th grader :) Folks on this board have helped me thru many years of balancing wiggling with learning, and what could be better than using MFW with games and cooking and picture books alongside taking a step up each year? You will be blessed!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

gratitude

New homeschooler needs encouragement

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:38 am

LoriC wrote:Hi.. this is our first year officially homeschooling our 2 oldest girls (grade 2 &3). They were in public school the last two years and we just felt like it was best to bring them home and homeschool them this year. We are doing Adventures and are on week 4 this week.

I just can't shake the feeling that my kids are missing out on not being in school. Anyone else question yourself when you pulled your kids out of school? I think I am questioning things right now, because the public schools just started here this week and we can hear the kids playing outside at recess during the day. Our 3rd grader seems to be missing "school" and her friends the most. One big reason for bringing them home was because they were really bored in their classes at school and I wanted them to love learning. I am not sure that I am changing that much with them being home. They enjoy what we are doing in school, but hate that we are done in just 2 hours. I have 2 younger tag along kids (2 and 4), so I don't have the time or patience to add more things most days.

Not sure what else to say, but I just really need some encouragement. I really felt that the Lord was leading us to homeschool, but now I'm questioning it all. I want the kids to love learning, but I'm just not sure we are accomplishing anything different that they did in school right now. Anyone else have similar thoughts when starting out and what did you do or how did things change for you? Any and all encouragement welcome!
((Hugs)) & hopefully some encouragement!! :-)

Home schooling is a completely different way to educate and live life as a family; in my opinion. My kids have never gone to school, so I am unable to answer your questions based on pulling them out of school. I have heard that the transition takes time. My kids this year will be 3rd, 2nd, K, and 3.

My kids do miss out on certain things that they do at school that we can not do at home. The kids at school miss out on all kinds of things that we do as home schoolers that they do not get to do at school. For me I feel like I would be giving up a lot of benefits that I see in home schooling, if I were to send them to school, then the amount of benefits I might receive if I sent them to school. Does this make sense? On another note the amount of cons I see in home schooling are far far less then the list of cons I can come up with for the idea of sending them to school. This con list for public school would be based on my own experience of 13 years (and I loved school; so it wasn't due to a bad experience) and observation of my kids friends that attend school.

I can share with you why I home school, and why I continue to in the hopes it will encourage. Yes, I have questioned home schooling. Many times. After 3 years I have a lot of peace that this is the best route for our family as long as I can handle doing it. It gets easier every year, so that helps. I do more than 2 hours a day, but my kids would love it if I kept it only to 2 hours a day! They are much in the habit of loving to play from having been home schooled their whole lives. Play would be seen as a waste of time by many parents, but it truly is the work of child hood. After all school didn't start until age 9 historically, and their probably was much wisdom in that fact (this includes American education until 100 years ago).

So my reasons public school isn't an option for us:

1. Bible. I think a recent quote I heard recently by a previous private school student turned public says it all. She said that when she was in private she thought about Jesus often, and now that she is in public she rarely thinks about Him. This is a child attending church regurarly. I could give my kids the best education in the world but if we lose the love for Jesus and eternal life together what have I gained? Too much at stake for me to take that risk.

2. Education. The type of education. Being able to go at their own pace.

3. Learning how to learn.

4. Family relationship building. I really think my kids will benefit long term from the relationships they are building with God, us, and each other.

So I don't know what this will look like in 20 years. The above 4 are what I see so far and my hopes. In 20 years I will know more. Those 4 for me are just way too costly to give up for some time with friends and recess.

A few more reasons that came to light in the last 3 years through home schooling. God revealed to me my social dependency and heart attitudes that come from public school and starting school at age 2. Not pretty. I would do a lot to keep them from my public school insecurities (again I loved school and did very well socially), public school heart attitudes, and peer dependency. I want them to have the centering in Christ that I am now just finding as an adult (I was raised in the church).

Blessings,

Buttercup78

Re: New homeschooler needs encouragement

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:43 pm

I am certain that if you sat in the public school with a stopwatch and timed the number of minutes that each child is engaged in actual learning as opposed to waiting on the other kids, transitional times, busy work, etc. you would be surprised. I firmly believe that 2 hours of solid learning at home is more than equivalent to anything they get out of a classroom. Marie Hazell who wrote MFW curriculum has a Masters in education, if I'm not mistaken. I am confident that she has written a well-rounded program taking into consideration different types of learning styles and eduational styles that are best for most kids. You could go out and buy a workbook program with lots of busywork and make your kids work for 4 hours a day or more, but I think they'd be just as bored as they were in school. That's one of the beauties of homeschooling - they learn more in way less time so they have plenty of time for other opportunities!
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:13 pm

Oooh, I'm loving this thread. Very energizing answers. I truly agree that what you are going through is difficult but it is worth it. But meanwhile, I was thinking about this part of your post:
LoriC wrote:They enjoy what we are doing in school, but hate that we are done in just 2 hours. I have 2 younger tag along kids (2 and 4), so I don't have the time or patience to add more things most days.
I was going to say that if your kids want more (bless their hearts) then there are ways to give them more without giving them more of *you.* Check out this thread on what I used to do with my youngest. I brought my youngest home to school in 3rd grade and a lot of my post is about what I did that first year. You may find you have lots of "educational" things around the house and this is the perfect time to make some use of them -
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 1829#p9770

Here are some more ideas I threw out about dreaming of adding in extras -
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 304#p74304

Both of those threads have even more great ideas from other folks, it's just that I remember my own and where to find it. Also, there are threads on things like nature walk journaling, studying the elections, and holidays. Also, here's a good thread on how to "assign" each of your kids to "teach" the youngers during a portion of the day ("Johnny" at the bottom of the left-hand column means that one task each day is with little brother Johnny) -
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 300#p46300

Even my oldest who was always public-schooled would sometimes ask for more, and one teacher would assign him to do a little "research report" or a "trip journal." Another sent him to the "gifted" class where they were creating inventions. If yours really like "schooly" time, there are lots of things via Critical Thinking Company, either in print or on the computer, that can be done independently. Also there are a lot of threads here about ways to do math facts drill, which you can never get enough of in elementary school, in my opinion.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8429

I have a feeling that after you get more months under your belt, your kids won't be wishing for more :o)
Julie

samandsawyersmom

Unread post by samandsawyersmom » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Hello!!

My kiddos have never been to PS so take this with a grain of salt please. . . I truly believe that if you have felt the call of the Lord to homeschool someone else has also heard the call for you to bring your family closer to God and wants to have his say in the matter. I believe that Satan will always try to derail a homeschooler when you are at your weakest wether you have been doing it for a long time or just starting. Stay strong in what you have peace in. . . doubts are not peace! ;o) We all have them in one area or another or in my case several areas!! LOL!! Trust in the Lord with all your heart, with all your mind, and with all your soul!

As for the kiddos thinking it strange to get done in 2hrs they just need to learn to play again and you can always find TONS of things for them to do either on the computer or print them off or the dollar store has fun little workbooks and/or so does Target right now all for a dollar!!! ;o) Have fun and try not to stress!! (said to myself also!! ;o)

I think it was on here somewhere by someone who said something to the effect that you are the parent and you felt lead by God to do this so. . . . . I think you get the point! ;o) Satan will try to make you doubt everything if you are doing something that is honoring to God!

God Bless You and Your Family!!! We will be praying for your peace!!!
Wife to my wonderful husband 8yrs
Mom to 2 wonderful sons 6yrs and 4yrs
2012 pre-school and MFW 1st
2011 K

unitlovinmama

Unread post by unitlovinmama » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:38 pm

Hugs to you and hoping you are feeling encouraged already. Definitely check out the threads of extra things you can give the kids to do! Perhaps they are needing some help directing their day now, since their day was directed for them in public school. It's a great time for them to explore their individual interests and play together. Isn't it great they aren't seperated anymore? books, music CDs, well chosen videos, access to craft supplies, fun little workbooks, maybe computer learning games? These can all help them fill the day hours. And I would encourage you to make it as fun as you can. There is so much more they GET to do than what they don't now that they are home. It will take time.

It sounds like you were already staying home with your younger two, but this is also YOUR first year teaching. Everyone needs to adjust and find a rhythm and learn to love this. Pray about finding a support group or another homeschooling mom who can encourage you. Plan a field trip :) Go out for ice cream while all the other kids are in school. You won't worry nearly so much if you are all laughing and having a great time together!

Blessings to you!
-Stephanie, HSing for 5 yrs, first year with MFW 2012-1013 (ECC).
Wife of 12 yrs, mama to three crazy but amazing kids (9, 7, and 3)
"May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us..." Psalm 90:17

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:37 pm

{Hugs} Lori!

I've not sent my kids to PS, but my oldest did do a preschool. I got constant comparisons to her preschool teachers for a VERY LONG TIME. It finally stopped in like 4th grade!

When I first started homeschooling, I went to a "beginning homeschooler's workshop." In there they talked about how it can take 1 year to adjust if pulling your kids out of PS. So, it's okay.

I think it is wonderful that you are done in just a couple of hours! (I have two dyslexic kids - that's NEVER happened in our house :) ).

Don't worry about what your kids are missing. It is what they are gaining in the long run that will be the blessing. But, we have to teach them to look for the blessings and be thankful for them. Try this - start your day with prayer, and have the older kids each say 3 things they are grateful for - and they each have to be different. Do this everyday for a while and see if that doesn't help.

More {hugs}!

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:26 pm

I remember those feelings. But now they are just distant memories. My ds was starting 3rd and my dd was starting K. Both went to preschool and my ds went to ps up to 2nd grade. I missed more than they did, I think. Although at first my ds missed a few school activities but really didn't like ps anyway so he got over it quickly.

I missed that first day of school excitement, that shopping for school clothes, those school assemblies, that back to school night, etc. Now I actually feel sort of freed that I don't have to make sure they look especially nice that first day, that I don't have to worry about them missing too many school days due to illness, that they are being compared to 'the average student' and not measuring up, etc. I especially don't miss those feelings of missing out on 6 hours a day of my children's lives. Yes, it took about a year but I got over it. ;)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

LoriC

Unread post by LoriC » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks everyone for all the posts so far. There have been a lot of great advice and I will be making a list of some activities to add into our day. I never really thought about it, but I guess its true that not only are my kids getting used to not being in school but I am also getting used to teaching them. Glad to read that the transition can take up to a year. I also really agreed with the post about Satan not wanting us to be successful in homeschooling and training our kids biblically. I loved the info in the links posted by Julie! Thanks again everyone for the support. I don't have a homeschool support here, so this is great having like minded people to get encouragement from.

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:02 am

If it's something your family can afford and is able to do time wise, are their activities they can do together or a homeschool group they can participate in so they have time to interact with other kids?

I have a younger child, just turned 3, and know he can be a distraction at times. Have you heard the suggestions for entertaining a preschooler from David Hazel? I actually haven't but probably should :).

If my ds can't do his activities quietly at the table, then he has to leave the table or can choose to play in his room or watch cartoons or stay but be quiet. This works for us. He has his own preschool workbooks, MFW preschool toys, coloring books, etc. that he can do while I work with my dd. I need to be most focused on her when we do language and math, so this is when he is sent to do something else if he cannot be quiet and do something on his own at the table. But I usually quickly start him in his own activity in between her activities.

Another idea: maybe if you aren't doing anything specific for your two youngest you can start doing preschool activities and let the older two help you with it so they feel like they have more to do and the little ones benefit too.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:43 pm

I was praying for you this morning and was reminded of one thing we did our first year. I set up a 'play date' for my ds with one of his friends from school once a week and my dd would play with one of her cousins during the same time. We knew the family of my ds's friend. Maybe you could set up a play date for your olders once a week or something. Just and idea. HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

blessedmomof3

New to homeschooling and MFW

Unread post by blessedmomof3 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:22 am

magnolia5 wrote:Hello Everyone!

This August will be our first time homeschooling and we are super duper excited! We have wanted to homeschool for the past three years, but only now are able to do so. God has blessed us so much, opened doors that have allowed us to be able to homeschool. We both still work, but I was able to reduce my hours so that now my sweet angels can come out of public school. We ordered MFW ECC and everything should arrive in the next few days! Thanks a million to all of you as I have been so blessed by reading this board over the past few years. You all are encouraging, informative, supportive, and inspiring. Again, thanks so much.
Welcome both of you! I hope you both have a wonderful upcoming homeschooling year. We've loved homeschooling and will be starting our 9th year soon. I loved ECC and had such a rich and fun year. I'll be looking forward to using it again in a couple of years.

Blessings,

Kelli

mothermayi

Re: New to homeschooling and MFW

Unread post by mothermayi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:05 pm

Welcome to both of you!! There are lots of veteran homeschooling women here to offer support, advice, recommendations, and love so please don't hesitate to reach out. Enjoy your first year! :-)
Returning to MFW for 2015!! :-)
ds13 (8th)--MFW EX1850, EG, WWS, PP Guides, TT 2.0 Pre-Algebra
ds11.5 (7th)--MFW EX1850, AOG, WWS, PP Guides, Singapore 5B-6B
dd7 (2nd)--MFW EX1850, LLFT2, Miquon, AAS1
dd5--MFW K

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:17 pm

Welcome along!

Homeschooling has really encouraged our family to be closer. And MFW provides a lot of very interesting conversations around the table. Dad loves sharing what we're learning about Greece, Rome, reformation, etc. It's a great blessing.

Enjoy! :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

magnolia5

Unread post by magnolia5 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome. We received our ECC box today and can't wait to look through everything this weekend!!
Mom to the three most amazing kids in the world.
Little Lamb (age 10) & Pooh (age 9)- MFW ECC as recommended for 4th grade, except using Math-U-See and Life of Fred
Little Legs (age 7)- MFW ECC for 2nd grade, except using Math-U-See and Life of Fred

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:15 am

Welcome! :)

Just a word of encouragement to help you have a successful year.... Please please PLEASE read Marie's notes throughout the teacher's manual! There are several pages at the front of the manual where she explains how to use the material, and how to adapt for different ages of children. Because MFW is a multi-level curriculum, you'll find that some books and assignments work better with older children, and other books and assignments with younger children. Pray daily and ask the Lord's guidance in reaching out to each of your individual children and adapting to their needs and abilities as you go through the day. Also make sure to read Marie's notes following the assignment grid each week. Take special notice where she says "see notes" on the grid. When she says "see notes", she really means it! :)

Don't forget about Book Basket in the back of the manual. Sometimes I've found books back there that explain a concept or lesson to a particular child in a way that they understand better than the "scheduled" book does. Remember that you don't have to get *exactly* all the same titles Marie has listed. She gives many options, but you won't find every one at your library. Just look for another title on the same topic if that happens. We've discovered some treasures over the years that we wouldn't have found if it weren't for Book Basket!

Marie has also asterisked some titles that she recommends for purchase, so that's an option, too.... to buy some of those titles to keep in your home library.

I just mention it because this is one of the common mistakes I hear moms making when they say MFW didn't work for them. Also be sure to utilize the archives on the forums here... many times you'll find that other moms have run into the same questions as concerns that you might encounter along the way. We're here to walk each other through this journey. :)

Have a blessed year! :)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:08 am

Welcome to Home schooling!! :-) :-) Your enthusisim is inspiring me!

I second everything Donna had to say. Take your time. Read your TMs thoroughly. Ask a lot of questions. It took me awhile to really figure out 'how to' teach MFW well and fully understand the program. Take your time and pray and we are here for any questions we might be able to answer.

Blessings for a very successful year! :-)

Cici

"Trial" week before public school starts...help!

Unread post by Cici » Fri May 09, 2014 7:05 pm

mom2threeBoys wrote:My husband wants me to do a "trial week" with the curriculum before public school starts. I want to have an "official" first day where we organize our stuff and make book marks or whatever; and I don't want to "take away" from their short 8 week summer break. However, I am willing to try to work this out for him. And because I feel called to do this, I have faith that it will work out with more blessings and lessons than I can imagine.

So, we are looking at MFW1 and ECC for our 1st and 4th grade boys. I will also have a 3 year old at home. Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how to do this "sample" week? Maybe even something that wouldn't require purchasing curriculum? I don't want to start our school year in July. I also would hate to do the first week then take a break until we are really wanting to start ...not even sure how I want to schedule the school year yet.
Hi!
Hope you're having a great day!

You mentioned that you were called to homeschool. That's a BIG deal. If I were you, I'd sit down with the Husband & let him know that this is your calling & you NEED (all of) his support. Let him know that you need him to have faith in you & trust that Gods plan is greater than ours.

My Pastor told me this & I'm glad she did, not only was it true, but it helped me. She told me that if you ask anyone who home schools if they ever wanted to give up, they'll tell you, yes. They'll also tell you that it gets easier every year & that they love what they do & wouldn't have it any other way. You need his support & you need him there for you if you ever get overwhelmed... The first month is the hardest...

I would also suggest starting in July. That "head start" will take a lot of pressure off. You're not taking away from their summer break, learning is fun! Especially with MFW! Even if you come across something that may not be "fun" to you, get excited about it. Your children will feed off of that & usually agree that it's awesome, lol.

Blessings to you & your homeschool journey!!!

P.S. I know your original question was about a trial, I'd say, if you're called to homeschool... You don't need a trial, jump right in... In July ;)
Follower of Christ
Wife of a Pilot
Mommy to our Prince (MFW Preschool) & Princess (MFW Adventures)
Blessed that God called me to Homeschool

annaz

Re: "Trial" week before public school starts...help!

Unread post by annaz » Fri May 09, 2014 7:44 pm

I agree with Cici! Especially since one week is hardly time time to do anything much less see how things go. It takes at least 6 weeks to get into the swing of the curriculum itself and a full year for homeschooling in general if you're a newbie. I pray that you do speak to your DH and perhaps pour out your plans/goals and see if he can get on board with at least a full year trial. Obviously with him giving you a week, he could use more information regarding homeschooling that perhaps you could give him.

Prayers for your situation.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Fri May 09, 2014 7:55 pm

I agree with Cici and Annaz.

The nice thing about starting a week early is it removes stress when the children get sick or you need a break later in the year. I choose to start two weeks early last summer, and I have been glad that I did.

I also agree to share with him your call & need for support. I always encourage people to commit to two years and then evaluate. It takes time to feel organized and settled into home schooling. Give any curriculum at least 3 months is a good guide line too. My children have never been to school & starting curriculum was still a learning curve. Every new first grader added is a learning curve. A week won't show much, but one - two years will.

Blessings for your new journey.

P.S. The first two weeks in ECC has some fun activities the kids should enjoy for their new school. :-)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri May 09, 2014 11:07 pm

I'm trying to think about when I first brought my youngest home to school, in 3rd grade.

It helped to be on the exact same schedule as the public school, so starting on the same day and following the same hours. That made it feel like "real school" to him. It also meant he could feel free to play at the same time neighborhood kids are playing. I wonder if your dh can relate to that? Believe me, many husbands worry about homeschooling at first. And that's a good thing, right, they care.

I would follow his plan but talk to him about it, if he's willing. What is he interested in having you try? Is he worried about school hours and discipline and things along that line? Is he worried about math and reading, and does he want to see what you'd be doing for that? You know, when I first brought my kids home to school (different years), I spent a lot of the math & reading time just evaluating where they were at and what they needed. I had my son write the alphabet, write a little page about himself or something, do some different timed math drills I printed out, etc., and I tried to figure out exactly what his strengths and weaknesses were, if your dh would be on board for your doing that during a trial run? (P.s. I mixed it up with math games and a read-aloud chapter book of their choice, too.)

I wonder if your dh could call the MFW office and talk to one of the dads there? I think all of the dads in the office have homeschooled their kids a bit, as I think David Hazell still requires that of staff dad's, or at least he used to. Anyways, they all might be able to answer questions. Or if you have a convention nearby, it's nice for the dh to see what a large community homeschoolers are, and how many involved families. Another thing that got my dh on board was seeing other homeschooled kids in our area and how much more engaged they were in talking to him as compared to our public school experiences - not sure if there is a group nearby?

Just brainstorming with you. Pray a lot, too. God will bring you peace and give you what you need, when you need it. Blessings,
Julie

mom2threeBoys

Unread post by mom2threeBoys » Fri May 09, 2014 11:17 pm

Thank you all for your responses so far. He has said because he loves me and sees how important this is to me, he is willing to give it a year. His concern isn't the academics. Former teacher here, and that's just my "thing." What is not my thing is balancing housework and kids. I also have a history of not following through on my crazy ideas ;) The way I see it, I will be gaining two apprentices!

We could consider starting early, though I did also consider following the public school calendar...except snow days! And talking to homeschool dads is a good idea! We do have groups and co-op in the area.

You all have given me much to prayerfully consider. Thanks!!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat May 10, 2014 12:19 pm

mom2threeBoys wrote:What is not my thing is balancing housework and kids. I also have a history of not following through on my crazy ideas ;)
I get on my soapbox every year or two and give my perspective on "school hours." I am big on school hours for two reasons.

1. Setting school hours models to your children that school is important, and that big tasks require focus. If you set aside your laundry and dishes, your phone calls and bills, then it will be easier for kids to follow suit and set aside their imaginary play, their fun hobbies, and later their text messages.

2. Setting school hours means that your many tasks all get done better and more efficiently because you're more focused. Even when you find some spare minutes during your school hours, I encourage (at least in your first months) spending those minutes correcting math or preparing for the next school day while everything is fresh on your mind, rather than slipping in other tasks. In your case, those minutes will also be opportunities to spend time with your little one.

The other good thing about school hours is that everyone knows when you're done. Even on difficult days, there is a light at the end of the tunnel at 3:30 or whenever school hours are over. Mom has invested in the kids, so now it's okay to be busy with cooking and laundry and siblings and such. Evenings are freed up for husbands because you aren't half-finishing various school tasks.

There are particular tasks we sometimes did outside of school hours -- field trips, for instance. Or some kids might continue with fun projects and good books on their own time. Occasionally a child might have to finish an assignment he refused to focus on earlier (didn't usually take more than once a year to make that point at my house). Some years, we did read-alouds or Bible readings or science projects at night with dad, because a certain part of homeschool felt like a nice family activity.

If you are very efficient and use all MFW-recommended resources, which are also efficient, it's possible your school hours might be fairly short. When I had everything prepared for the day and didn't allow many tangents or breaks beyond 5 minute exercises, then we often finished all subjects in 4 hours during 3rd-6th grades. I continued with "school hours" but allowed the remaining couple hours to include a lot of games, phy ed, service, "home ec," still focused on things I wanted to do with my kids.

A little side benefit for our husbands, I think, is that setting school hours helps them see your day in a way they can understand. Some dads are even able to pitch in with specific tasks when they can see your day organized like "a job," with housekeeping tasks done "after work."

Okay, that's my yearly speech ;)
Julie