Classroom - Ideas for set-up, desks, walls, boards, books

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
scmlg

Classroom - Ideas for set-up, desks, walls, boards, books

Unread post by scmlg » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:19 pm

caod wrote:I am in the midst of looking at my school set-up knowing that what I have going right now is just not working anymore. What do some of you use for your children's space... dining room table, one big table elsewhere in the house, desks, small tables for each child? I can think of nice ideas but the cost stops me cold. Any thoughts?
Connie
Most of our work is done at the kitchen table.

Our reading time is done on the couch or in their rooms sitting on the floor or bean bags.

We keep our schooling books downstairs on shelves. I have a 3 drawer plastic cabinet that I keep art supplies, paper, extra pencils and so forth. They have individual boxes for their day to day supplies. They bring these up when they bring up their books.

Our timeline is posted across the basement wall where our living room is, so it's a good place to read and hang out. There's no table down there though, so that's why we come up here to the kitchen table.

Our book basket is a wooden wicker basket that is in the kitchen by the table. Even this summer, I've kept it overflowing with books! Love the basket! lol
Mom to 3 boys. Curtis, 11, Kyle, 9.5, Colton 3 years old. Live in Amish Country, Ohio.

Finished Adventures
Finished ECC
Finished CtoG
Working on R to R and a bit of preschool time

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:56 pm

We have a small area set up behind our couch in our family room as our "school area". I have bookshelves and a cabinet and counter in there for storing supplies. We have a school desk for each of our girls where they each sit to do their work. They are the desks with tops that lift up so supplies can be stored inside. We do most of our school work in our school area, but we move around a bit to keep things interesting and fresh, and for practical reasons.

We do arts and crafts in the kitchen, because the kitchen table provides a large workspace, and there is linoleum on the floor in case of spills. We read on the couch so that we can snuggle up next to each other. So, we usually start at the desks in our school area, then move to the kitchen, then back to the school area, and end on the couch for read-aloud time.

It works well for us. I didn't have much space to work with, but I really wanted a space where we could keep all of our school supplies. God guided us and blessed us with bookshelves and a cabinet. I'm so very happy with our school space. A bit more space would be nice, but it works well for now. Hope you find a good solution in your home.

In Christ,
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

mrs_mike98

Unread post by mrs_mike98 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:59 pm

All of our "work" is done at the kitchen table. Reading is done wherever is comfy. I have a bookshelf in the dining room (which we use as an office) with all of my homeschooling things, and then each child has their own portable file box in the kitchen, with all of their books and supplies. Also in the kitchen is an upright dresser which houses all of the arts and crafts supplies, and our fish tank is on top of it. Sounds weird but it doesn't look weird, lol! Our projects are displayed on whatever walls are available, and there are also wall maps on the walls in our kitchen. Its rather casual, but organized reasonably well, just the same. :-)
Erin, blessed mama to 5 boys :-)

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:10 pm

We are blessed with a little den area off our family room. That's our "school room" but it's really too cramped for me to "teach" the group of them there. We've got an old hand-me-down desk with a computer on it and four little tables (inidividual sized) arranged in a rectangle. The kids do some of their work there (and some on the floor, and some in bed, and some in the backyard, etc.). I got all four kids those exercise balls to sit on. Two of the kids each have a shelf, the other two kids have those hinged file cases for their things. Each child also has a smallish box on their table for a few pencils, etc.

When I teach everyone, we are either at the kitchen table (science, crafts, etc.) or the family room floor (reading Bible or history, etc.)

When setting up a school area, you might want to make sure you have a little trash can. Before we put one in our school area, we were forever running to the kitchen to throw away stubby pencils and paper trimmings.

Have fun!

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:28 pm
In a perfect homeschool house, I'd have:

1. LOTS of storage for art supplies, last years' papers, books, books, and more books.
2. Lots of wall space for bigger maps and timelines.
3. Lots of cheap furniture -- nothing fussy or beige! -- that the kids could flop on. Maybe a few beanbags -- I always wanted those.
4. A big backyard with a zip line, trampoline, and climbing trees (all tickets to the local emergency room, I know).
5. A coffee table (or similar table) that OPENS UP to storage inside. That would be our "book basket." No kidding, but our current coffee table actually bows down due to the weight of the books. Even when we remove the book basket, and all the other books, it still has a nice little bend to it, like it's smiling!
6. Better lighting than the little wimpy overhead light.

It's fun to dream as long as we don't forget how truly blessed we are.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

bethben

what we did

Unread post by bethben » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:21 pm

We have all our books and manuals in a bookcase in our hallway leading to the bedrooms - 4 feet by 7 feet! For all the art supplies, manipulatives, and preschool stuff, I emptied out a cabinet in my kitchen. I don't have fancy china, so I had room when I got rid of appliances I didn't use much. I only have the stuff I use monthly in my kitchen cabinets.

We do school on the kitchen counter and the couch. No room for a designated school room or desks in our house!
Beth

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:12 pm
What I like is that I have a huge counter-top island in my kitchen. It works well for spreading out stuff and crafts.

What I don't like is that we have no space to do ongoing projects or places to hold aquariums, etc.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:55 am
I got one of those shower caddies for college students at Target and velcroed 4 large plastic cups to the inside corners. I use the cups for markers, colored pencils, regular pencils, and scissors. The rest of the space is used for rulers, glue sticks and the math drill machine. It's worked really well and is really portable!
Beth

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:22 pm

We've gone through various stages and it seems to change each year. We have this open floor plan on the main level.

The kids have their moveable individual boxes for language arts and math. Those are stored under a long folding table. Then we have these plastic file drawers with things like craft stuff. One small cabinet for notebooks and I'm not sure what else is in there THIS semester. And my neighbors across the street just moved and I got one of their pieces of furniture. It's a cabinet with drawers below. That's where the majority of stuff is this year. I still don't have a good system and it changes all the time. sigh.

For our main work area, we step a few feet over to the kitchen table, where the table top surface is not bumpy. The kids grab book basket and head for a small sofa in the "teacher's lounge" (i.e. the carpeted dining area - who puts carpet in a dining area with kids?????).

-crystal

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:53 pm

Ya'll will think I'm just braggin' --- but we have a 14 X 20 extra bedroom with a built-in desk, bookcases, a closet with shelves, and three big windows for natural light.

One corner of it is "mommy's office" with my computer set-up and filing cabinet. The rest of it is school posters, calendar, bulletin board with work displayed, and books and more books! I'm so spoiled, but soooo grateful! When we were house shopping last year, we saw this house and my husband and I both yelled "schoolroom" when we saw this room!

We also have book baskets, racks, etc. in every other room of the house, because any chance to sit down is a good time to read. Yep! Even in there! :-)

Before this, we worked at the kitchen table or family room floor, and my dd certainly liked it and learned just as well! I'm just spoiled now.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:30 am
We have a pretty good size schoolroom in an extra bedroom with built-ins for bookcases and a big desk.

There's a long wall opposite the wall with three windows for timelines and charts.

Lots of floor space for playing games.

And, lately, we've been having school outside, on the play loft floor, at the coffee table, in the kitchen, on the bed . . . . And would you believe that dd's writing is actually neater? We don't really need a room, we need a place to keep our stuff so we can take it wherever we want. :-)

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:27 pm
We also had a large school calendar with velcro tabs to change the days, season and weather. Printed posters with our school motto "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart," our school rules, and the pledges to the American Flag, Christian Flag and Bible. (I'm an ACE school refugee.) Also, a must for me is the cork bulletin board - there was always something special to pin up there. I used the A-Z flashcards from MFWK as a wallpaper border around one wall just below the ceiling, and it looked so cute.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

GoodCat

Unread post by GoodCat » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:19 pm

We have a bi-level. The down stairs area is about 11'x30'. On one side we have a little living room area, and on the other side we made a school room.

I have a desk with book shelves and then I did buy tables for my children from a school supply place. I have a smaller table for my little ones and then the bigger table (about 4') for my older ones.

When we all do art together, we like to use the kitchen table. And read-alouds are always best on the couch. I think that's one of the joys of homeschooling. You can do it with alot or with a little, as long as we're together :)

I do like having a separate area for school, but also enjoy moving around the house :)

Cathy
Wife to Sean, a wonderful man for 13 yrs., mother to 6 beautiful children- 12dd, 11ds, 9ds, 7dd, 5dd, 2dd.
Used Abeka for 5 years.
Used ECC and MFW1 (and loved it)
Used CtG (and loved it : )
Using RtR (and loving it!!)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:32 pm

Here's another vote for all over the house :o) A few specific things we find useful:

1. Clipboards, especially the kind that have storage inside for papers & pencils.

2. At least one spot that has been fitted to the child for proper writing height for handwriting. A little desk, or at the table with the chair adjusted so the child's elbow rests comfortably at table height.

3. I like the computer out in the open where family is likely to always be present. As one who has had teens & young adults, often with many friends over at our house, I just feel more comfortable being able to glance at the computer screen on occasion.

4. A cupboard with doors that shut, plastic bins with lids & big letters telling what's inside (why was I so afraid to write on these?!), and magazine racks for different groups of books have been helpful to me.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:39 pm

Julie in MN wrote: 2. At least one spot that has been fitted to the child for proper writing height for handwriting. A little desk, or at the table with the chair adjusted so the child's elbow rests comfortably at table height..
That could explain some things in my house. hmmmm... maybe the kids should have a fancy chair with adjustable height. If I rush out now before the college kids get back in town.

Thanks Julie. It could explain a lot in MY house (me).

-crystal

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:33 pm

Well, we have a round table that is large enough that my dc can sit at, and I can sit between them to help them both. We moved our school room from a formal dining room area to our basement. It's already a very multi-purpose room, but it has space and after rearranging some things it has worked better than our other area.

The dc wanted new backpacks this year and then I read the idea to use the backpacks for the place to store their school books and supplies each day. Now, just like in other schools, we place these things in their backpacks and park them by the bookshelf.

I only have 2 dc, but I try to color code things for them with their favorite color (folders, binders, erasers, etc.). They know which things are their own and it helps with efficiency.

I also purchased some plastic 4 drawer containers and labeled them to help organize paper, craft supplies, etc. And I assigned them each a drawer so I now have a place to put all of their papers until I can take time to look through and decide what to do with them (portfolio, notebook, trash, etc.). I also use a small caddy that has a handle in the middle and a lid and it's great for holding glue sticks, small scissors, pencils, tape, etc. and then I can carry it to the table or wherever we are working.

We also bought a small trashcan, like the above poster said. There are always little pieces of paper, pencil shavings, etc.

I need to do a better job of organizing all the paper!! Last year I did get most of their papers into page protectors and a large binder, but I know I really shouldn't keep them ALL. I also try to take photos of anything that we can't place in a scrapbook or album, so I don't feel guilty about throwing it away eventually if we have a good photo of a craft or a project we made.

We still love moving around within our school area for different things (table, sitting on the rug in front of the white board, reading on the couch). We also still use other parts of our home, even though we have a "school area," like when I'm done eating and they are not, so I end up reading to them at the kitchen table.

Rachel

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:41 pm
Our school area is in a multi-purpose room. There is definitely a school area that is different than the other parts of our basement, but we use tables because they work for other things, too.

I keep our library books and book basket upstairs in our living room, where we like to read, but then I have a place in our school area downstairs for the books we aren't currently using.

I use old baby wipes boxes for crayons and markers. I have a little caddy with dividers and a lid for glue sticks, tape, pencils, erasers, etc.

I have a baker's rack that I put cloth storage cubes on and they hold manipulatives, flashcards, the caddy, other boxes of markers and supplies. I also got plastic shelves that I keep craft supplies in and both of my kids have their own drawer for the papers that we don't display on our bulletine board. I also use it as a holding area until we can put them in their binders.

Oh, and for their daily books they each have a bookbag (backpack) where we put things when we are done. The only problem with that is that a couple of weeks ago we had a flood in our basement and everything in the bookbags got wet, but now I will make a place for them on a shelf, off the ground.

I hope these things spark some ideas for you!
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

lyntley

Unread post by lyntley » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:11 pm

I have this amazing rotating display shelving system in the corner of my kitchen. It takes up very little space It fits EVERYTHING and my ECC stuff perfectly including baskets/bins for manipulatives, toddler toys, book basket, all craft supplies too! A dry erase board for our weekly scripture and small cork board for our weekly schedule. And yes, they are a bit pricey. But I tell you, worth EVERY penny for the peace of mind in this homeschooling mommy. (Dear Hubby scored major bonus points when he bought it for me.) All table time stuff is done at the dining room table and we move to the cuddle couch for all reading.

You can see our HSing corner at http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h10/l ... zer002.jpg
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h10/l ... zer001.jpg

And I got the canvas baskets in a 3-pack at Walmart. They fit perfectly.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:17 am
swift maps dot com has wall sized (HUGE)atlas murals. (Like wall paper.)You can even get them laminated. I always thought if I had a school room, I would do that on one wall.

JenniferF

Unread post by JenniferF » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:36 pm

IndianaMom2Five wrote:Where does one purchase such a shelving system? This looks like it would be the answer to my storage problems.
Thank You,
Dixie
Oh oh oh-- raising hand and waving it wildly in the air--- I know I know!!!
http://www.sdsunits.com

Also, here is a FRUGAL STORAGE UNIT based on the laminate ones. This might be very helpful to some!
http://www.triggermemorysystem.com/FrugalStorage.html

Target has those wire cube shelves on sale this week. In my area they are $12.99 each.
Jennifer

chrellis

Unread post by chrellis » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:23 am

That is one amazing storage unit. My daughter just walked by, saw the picture, and said, "Wow, we'll never be that organized." I wonder if my husband could build something like that. It might be difficult to find the right hardware. I need about a dozen of those shelves -- one or more for each room of my house.

I was just looking through catalogs and LTD Commodities & Lakeside Collections has several furniture items that would work as an alternative -- several create-your-own entertainment center pieces, a media tower, a scrapbooking organizer cabinet. Though sometimes they really burn you with the shipping.
Homeschooling in East Central Indiana
dd Faithlan ('98), ds Champ ('01), dd Honour ('04), dd Glory ('06)

niki

Unread post by niki » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:52 am

I'm a bit excited this year because my ds wanted to move into his sisters' room. (it won't last forever, but it works for now) Therefore a room opened up and I'm making it our school room :)

I'm sure we'll migrate back to the kitchen table, because that is where life happens around here, but it will be fun to give it a try and see if we do use it. I may feel more justified to finish off a section of the basement for school, an investment we'd love to make if we'd really use it for school!!!

Time will tell, and that time is soon! We're starting on Monday!

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:13 pm
This is the 1st year we've had individual desks for the kids. Wasn't sure how it would work and they take up a bit of space (now in our dining room becasue the kids didn't want to give them up when they were booted from the "school room" because of a growing family).

Why we love the desks. They hold all the kids school stuff: pencils, paper, math book, readers, and everything else - excluding the binders, 2 per student one geography and one "other subjects," those lean against the wall behind their desks. I like it becasue I can easily work with the kids without leaning over one at the table - and it gives them "personal space" Then I have some bins on the floor with schedules, science books, PLL, math textbooks, spelling book, and other things we pull out daily.

Alright, I guess that was my little desk soapbox :) Never thought I'd care to have them, enjoyed the dining room table just fine. Who knows what'll be in store for the fall in our school room?
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

cbollin

Whiteboard

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:13 pm

momof6 wrote:I remember reading a post where someone said they put up a large whiteboard. It was some kind of board they got at Menards, or somewhere like that, not an actual whiteboard, but works the same. Can anyone help me out with what it was that they used, I can't seem to find the post in the archives.
Thanks,
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:33 pm
I got mine from Lowe's instead of Menards. But both stores sell it.
If you want to preview it online
go to Lowes.com
put either the words Mark-r board in the search or Item #61082

Georgia Pacific
1/8" x 48" x 32" Mark-R Board Project Panel

Item #: 61082 Model: 683242

At our store it is located in the same section as wall paneling and wainscot interior wall paneling kind of things.

We just used paneling nails to put ours on the dry wall. find the studs and tap it in place. I gave mine a border with blue painters tape. I'm sure someone else has done much fancier than that. :)

-crystal

sarajoy

Unread post by sarajoy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:14 pm

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:16 pm

I think Lowes has a white board kind of thing that just sticks to the wall and is also removable (w/out nail holes) It's kind of like the "Wall Pops" kind of things.

SJ

Julie - Staff

Cleaning dry erase boards, contact paper,

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:16 pm

Mississippi Jenni wrote:I thought that you could write with a dry erase marker and just wipe it off no matter how long it has been there. Yesterday I discovered that this is not the case. If I get a calendar with contact paper, then how do I erase it all at the end of the month?
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:01 pm by cbollin
Depending how long the marker has been on there, I use either Window cleaner or rubbing alcohol to take away those hard to remove spots (from a dry erase board, anyways).

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:22 pm by shera
If you scribble over the stubborn areas with another dry erase marker that will help to erase them as well.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:48 pm by Poohbee
Instead of using dry erase marker, try using transparency pens or markers...the ones you use to write on transparencies for overhead projectors. I've used these on a laminated calendar with success. Use a wet paper towel and they wipe right off.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:48 pm by TriciaMR
I have laminated tons of stuff with clear Contact (r) paper. I found, through trial and error, only LOW ODOR Expo Dry Erase Pens will come off the contact paper with window cleaner (or the EXPO cleaner). The regular dry erase pens leave marks and will not come off at all. And, after a while, the low odor ones start to stain too. So, I make new "chalkboards."

(To make "chalkboards" I took white cardstock and covered front and back with the clear Contact paper. If I need sample writing pages (with lines and dotted lines), I'd print them off the computer onto heavy white cardstock and then cover with clear Contact paper. Then, using the Low Odor dry erase pens, I can use my "chalkboards" rather than throwing out paper.)

- Trish

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:19 pm by mamaofreadheads
Goo Gone works, and so do those new eraser sponges by Scotch Brite that are white on one side & blue on the other - can't think of the name of them right now. Mr. Clean makes one that is all white, but I didn't like it as well for cleaning in general - didn't try it for erasing dry erase marks though.

Glenna

Ging

The "ideal" floorplan?

Unread post by Ging » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:49 pm

RB wrote:We might be moving in the next year or so, and I was recently thinking of what the "ideal" floorplan would be for homeschooling. Just wondering what you like/dislike about your house and homeschool space.
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:19 pm
My dh designed our room and we love it.

I have a craft cabinet, that is a cast-off repainted, it's full of baskets for all those art supplies.

The walls are lined with shelves attached to the wall.

He made an open square shape in the shelves so that I can display large -poster size- artwork or make a seasonal display.

Our old dinning room table (we were so thrilled to purchase it as newlyweds) serves as the work table.

We have a brown wingback chair picked up from a garage sale for lounging.

My dh put kitchen type cabinets -another salvage freebie- into the boys' bedroom. They each have a cabinet to hold all their workbooks and current books. The cabinets are nice because the floor space below can still be used during play.

Of course we homeschool all over the house, but it is nice to have a general area for everything. We homeschooled for years at the kitchen table and kept everything in cardboard boxes and it worked fine. But, it is nice to have a room.

Ging - starting Adventures this summer!!!

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:50 pm

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:37 pm
My husband finished the basement with a room for our classroom. I love that the "mess" of school mostly stays in that room.

We also have used public school desks repainted in our kids favorite colors and 4 bookshelves to hold all of our ever accumulating books and supplies. We have plenty of room and a "classroom" closet and bathroom.

My ideal room would be a room right off the kitchen that could be closed off from the rest of the house to contain the mess. I like to leave projects out while we are working on them but I also like my house to look somewhat presentable as we have guests on a regular basis.

I hope you find a house with a great space for home schooling.
Dawn

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:19 pm
We have painted a partial wall with magnetic paint - make sure to do several coats.

I have string along one wall with clothespins to make an art wall which has worked really well for all those art projects the kids like to do without totally covering my frig.

We have a large dry erase board, height charts, pictures of each child on the first day of school from the past years (labeled with the year) and then a "corporate time line" and then space above each child's desk for the year timeline. I also decorate per theme - oh and a world map and a US map.

705emily

Unread post by 705emily » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:53 pm

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:52 pm
We are so blessed to have a finished attic in our house that we use as a school room.

The angled ceilings are perfect for displaying artwork and science projects.

A large walk in closet is where I keep art supplies, my file folders by weeks for teaching, and extra books and curriculum that we aren't currently using.

I like the fact that the "school" room is a separate place from the rest of our living space--as the mess stays contained.

I also keep special "educational games and toys" in the school room that can only be used in "school". I switch them out occasionally so that things stay fresh.

Our computer is up in the attic as well. We have a big table in the middle for projects or one-on-one instruction, and the kids each have their own desk (little computer tables). It's neat to see how everyone creatively makes school work in their own home!

Blessings,
Irmi

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:51 am
I have a "busy box" for each of my children--dd is pink, ds, is blue that has a set of colored pencils, crayons, scissors, glue, etc. in it. They each have to store their stuff in their box after they are done using it. I keep paints, or special art supplies in a separate closet.

I also organized by placing the materials I would need by week in folders--one folder per week. So--I have these two BIG rubbermaid containers that have any books, videos, etc. that I plan to use in the weekly folder. That way when I go to use them--I don't need to worry about not having something I need at the ready. I try to look ahead to order books on ILL.

I find that our group table gets cluttered very easily and that the kids' individual curriculum and books etc. get mixed up. So--I'm trying to find a better way to organize there.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Posted Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:58 pm by 705emily

We are using the clear magazine holder thing too!!! I'm using it for holding all the "States" resource books for Adventures this year! I found them at Staples!

annaz

Unread post by annaz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:55 pm

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:36 am

As one who had a homeschool room in our 4th bedroom, I wish, I wish i had a dining room instead! They usually are close to the kitchen for crafts, have a lot of wall space for maps and stuff and are rather central to the house to alleviate the feeling of being locked up. Dining rooms are good too because it's not a room you walk through throughout the day to get to another room. So you can close it off if needed.

Bedrooms are disjointed from the house, so we always felt closed off, locked up and it was too far from the kitchen or water source. It only had one window.

Someday.

niki

Unread post by niki » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:57 pm

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:56 am

Our school room was in a spare room and I LOVED it so much. But God had other plans...we just filled it with 3 lovely little ones (fostering) and school's back in the dining room with its clutter and character - :) You can certainly tell we homeschool when you come in the door!!!

MJ in IL

Unread post by MJ in IL » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:59 pm

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:42 am

For my perfect homeschool room I would love to have more accesible bookshelves with doors on the bottom 1/2, for messier storage items!

I would also love a couple of laptops to move with us as we work.

Now that I am thinking, maybe a counter along the wall for art / science things.... Those biology / chemistry projects could use another home than my kitchen!

Molly

ChristyH

Unread post by ChristyH » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:16 pm

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:39 am

I have three children and we use a table in our schoolroom, because it was free.

I have a box that supports hanging files next to my desk and I have file labeled Monday, Tuesday, and ..... for the week. When I make copies for the week I look to see which day they belong in and then put them there. I also use it for their math drill sheets and penmenship practice sheets.

The children have two 3-ring binders each that sit on a small book shelf with other school books. One binder is for the geography studies, ECC, and the other is "skills" binder.

Just a few things that I do for organization.