Classroom - Ideas for set-up, desks, walls, boards, books

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
baileymom

Re: What does your room look like?

Unread post by baileymom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:52 pm

I would encourage anyone who is trying to set up a space to "do school" to read this very inspiring post by Amanda @ Homegrown and Beeyoutiful:
http://homegrownandbeeyoutiful.blogspot ... -2012.html

...and she also uses MFW!

It was just what I needed to hear this weekend.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

Smoakhouse

Unread post by Smoakhouse » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Over the years we have schooled in several different locations. (3 houses, 7 rooms LOL!)
I prefer a separate room with good natural light and easy access to the kitchen for messy projects.
You can see our current room at this link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdsmoak/se ... 150147610/

Enjoy your year!
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 23 & 20 and boy 10
Homeschooling for 18 years and counting!!
MFW ECC (2016-17)
MFW Adventures (2013-14)
MFW 1st (2012-13)
MFW K (2011-12)
MFW Health (fall 2011)
Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/cdsmoak

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:19 pm

baileymom wrote:I would encourage anyone who is trying to set up a space to "do school" to read this very inspiring post by Amanda @ Homegrown and Beeyoutiful:
http://homegrownandbeeyoutiful.blogspot ... -2012.html

...and she also uses MFW!

It was just what I needed to hear this weekend.
Kathi beat me to it ... this post inspired so much simplicity in my life, home school included. Just love her heart in this post. I have pics of our school room on our blog, too. Well, I'm doing it now ... multi-tasker I am.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:52 pm

What does our room look like? Messy!

But, that's where we're at... Seriously, we're spread across the formal living room (a sunken living room we call "the pit"), and the formal dining room. I have a bookshelf, a 5 drawer filing cabinet, and a 4 drawer plastic drawer thing (with a printer on top) plus the dining room table in the formal dining room. We also have 3 kids desks in the formal dining room. But, we tend to do most of school in the pit. We have a small kids table and an easel that I use for one-on-one topics as we need them. The formal dining room and pit are only separated by a railing, so it is kind of open.

Our timeline goes across the longest wall in the pit. Oh, there's a love seat, couch (with fold out queen bed), piano, and coffee table, 2 end tables in there, too. Quite the unusual decor. I'm wanting to get more organized, so the blog post was quite motivating.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Organizing the kiddos: their stuff and their schedule

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:42 pm

abrightmom wrote:Can you direct me to good threads in the archives that give ideas for this?? I really want to improve the organization of our homeschool and teach my children to follow a routine. I have ideas of my own but really love to read what others do and have done. The simpler the system the better... The physical organization of the school stuff and the kids' weekly routines for school? Photocopying the grid, filling it in, and clipping it to their box or binder has been recommended. This is my tentative plan but I don't know much beyond that.....
Here are some of the archives. There under "Other Subjects," and "Prep" or "Classroom."
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3255
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1299
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3714
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8101 (organizing student sheets)

Kind of fun to get a peek :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

abrightmom

Re: Organizing the kiddos: their stuff and their schedule

Unread post by abrightmom » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks Julie!! :-) :-)
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:56 pm

One thing I have done is to get one of those things that they use in PS classrooms - pocket charts is what I think they are called. Anyway, I put the order we do subjects (and who is doing what when I am working one-on-one) in that. Once it's been up for about a week we usually have the "routine" down. The nice thing is it makes it easy to re-order things if we need to. So, I can try a certain order for a few days, and if I feel like it's not working, I can change things around pretty easily. I bought wipe off word strips to go in the pockets. I don't put times on my pocket chart, but I do use a timer for certain subjects.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 am

Each kid has a milk crate of their own for their books, binders, etc.

Then, I have a milk crate for the main/shared things.

We work from these and the kids know where to put their things back. :)
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Don't forget to check the scheduling advice near the front of the MFW TM's. I think the first schedule I remember seeing was in the ECC TM. (Maybe ADV. ?? ) HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:25 am

Last night I opened one of the student sheet packs - Wow! There's a lot in there. Heehee. :-) Now I'm working on the Jesus poster pieces.

Have you decided on a timeline method? I'm lacking wall space and not sure what to do....I saw one mom used a spiral square scrapbook and a friend of mine did hers along their basement stairs (on the wall) -- I have stairs leading up, but we don't use the second floor and I'm not sure....AH! :~

And I love the schedule ideas in the front of the TM. :)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

TriciaMR

White Board or Chalk Board or None at all?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:47 pm

smithrr wrote:We are starting the journey of homeschooling in September. Love the board, very helpful.

I am trying hard to think outside the box :-) Not to replicate the "Classroom". I do know that visual drawings would help to illustrate and a board would be more visible for three kids to see.

Any suggestions?
I have 3 larger whiteboards for All About Spelling (one for each kid).

I have 1 larger whiteboard on the wall.

I have 1 medium whiteboard.

I have 2 small whiteboards.

I have one of those child easels with a chalkboard on one side and whiteboard on the other.

I also picked up these little lap-whiteboards at target last year in the dollar bins (one side is blank, and the other has lines to write on).

Each has a use in different situations depending on my needs. The smaller whiteboards I use with doing math. The medium for writing memory verses, the one on the wall for me to keep track of ideas and schedules and stuff.

Use what works for you.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Re: White Board or Chalk Board or None at all?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:00 pm

I have a few whiteboards. I got cheap one at Lowe's or Home Depot in the "shower board" or "wall paneling" section. same stuff as office supply stores, but so much cheaper and larger. have a few personal size ones as well... some with lines on one side and blank on other. I use walls for bulletin boards etc.... still looks like a house :)

I also use chalk slates, but my bad was chalk dust on carpet. giggle.. I used blue painters' tape for a border on my wall side board for those misses.

welcome along !

-crystal

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:28 pm

Mine is still young and our wall space is very limited. I have a small whiteboard, like one you would put on a fridge. It works well for the occasional things I need to demonstrate. I got it at Wal-Mart. I suspect that someday I will need a full-sized one on the wall. But, that will have to be when we finally move my "school room" out of the kitchen. LOL!
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

jabec

Unread post by jabec » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:46 pm

White board markers work on windows too....that's what we do right now.

We have huge windows right behind our dining table, so it works for us.
Newbie to MFW.
Thankful for this board.
Using ECC for 6th grade DS, 4th grade DD, 2nd grade DS, Ker DD, and 2 yo DS.
(just using mix and match stuff for K, though she'll do as much as possible in ECC)

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi, Rachel, welcome along! :)

If you decide on a whiteboard, don't forget to get one that's magnetic so you can display papers or teaching material on it, too.

Enjoy your year!
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:45 pm

jabec wrote:White board markers work on windows too....that's what we do right now.

We have huge windows right behind our dining table, so it works for us.
Reeaaallllly.........We have a huge sliding glass door right behind the table we do school on. I had no idea I might be missing a big opportunity. LOL! I'll have to remember that when our need for a larger whiteboard type space increases. T

Thanks for the tip!!
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 am

Never thought of writing on the french doors!! :) What I have and use are two small lap size wipe boards (also magnetic); we use these for printing letters, math, etc. I also have clipboards that the kids like to use for sprawling on the floor with paper. Then last year I painted one whole small wall - floor to ceiling - in my hallway with black chalkboard paint. :-) Fabulous! It gets used for school (spelling, math, etc), kids draw on it all the time, lists, etc. Never thought I would ever do that but it is very cool. Heehee.
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

momma2boys

Unread post by momma2boys » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:53 am

I use a product called Chalk Ink - found at craft stores. They are markers that you can use to write on windows, sliding glass doors, chalkboards - the type that places like Starbucks writes with. They come in colorful colors and I love using them!! I bought them at Michaels when they were one sale and then added their coupon from the paper which made them reasonably priced.
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com

Buttercup78

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:38 pm

I recommend white boards in whatever size you will use. We have a 4'x8' one on our schoolroom wall that we use for different things (calendar, demonstrations, just fun drawing time) and some personal-size ones that have handwriting lines on them for practicing writers. I also have smaller one I use to write our daily schedule when we're schooling somewhere other than our schoolroom.
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:20 pm

We use two white boards... one is 2 x 4 feet. This one is for writing messages (my husband leaves encouraging notes for us often before he goes in to work before we're up, and Gail often leaves him messages after he has gone to bed for him to find in the morning), drawing, making long lists of reading words for games. My parents got this for Gail's fifth birthday along with a huge pack of markers, a great gift! It isn't mounted to anything, just leans against a bookshelf.

The other is a small one, about the size of a piece of paper and is lined on one side and blank on the other. We use this every single school day for doing copywork (I write it, she copies from it), spelling, reading words, funny drawings, math, or whatever. I just keep it at hand during school and grab it up if I need it.

We have some other ones that are smaller, but rarely use them.

So glad to have the white boards!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

wsterk

Unread post by wsterk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:36 pm

Funny...i was just looking at white boards today! Our wall space is somewhat limited but we do have big bay windows in our dining room/school room so I think I am going to try the Chalk Ink. Read about them on Mish Mash Maggie's MFW blog! Sounds like a GREAT invention. You could also buy frame and chalk board paint, paint the inside glass, then add the Chalk Ink and voila!!!...a cute, trendy chalk board in your dining room!

sewgirlie

Unread post by sewgirlie » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:42 pm

I have not tried this myself, but our butcher writes on his freezers and fridges with dry erase markers...

Carrie

sewgirlie

Unread post by sewgirlie » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:49 pm

wsterk wrote: You could also buy frame and chalk board paint, paint the inside glass, then add the Chalk Ink and voila!!!...a cute, trendy chalk board in your dining room!
I've been looking for a large ugly picture so I can replace the picture with fabric and use the glass as a white board for our schedule. I never knew it was so hard to find an ugly picture ;) .

christinalynnes

Unread post by christinalynnes » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:29 pm

So, just to offer the opposite opinion - LOL - we use a chalk board. But my thoughts were marker misses the board and gets on the wall = bad. Chalk misses the board and wipes right off the wall (and clothes, and hands). And I kind of like the school room feel!
Christina

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:05 am

I have two whiteboards. Well three really but the third my littles "play" with.

My big one on the wall I put our schedule Mish Mash Maggie style. Then the little one I put our verse for copywork on. This year Im switching to HST for our schedule/assignments so the big one will just before notes.

Which i did take a lot of notes for the kids as we read. So they would see how notetaking is done and also so they'd have notes for writing their notebook pages. It worked really well. Sometimes I would do the cloud thing, other times I'd just jot down ideas. We even did the formal Roman Numeral type notes. I also demonstrated our Art Lessons or using Draw Write Now or Draw Write Through History I would demonstrate how to draw a particular image for their notebooks.

We also use the big white board for Math and Spelling practice. Nothing like standing at a big white board and writing out what you need to learn.

I got ours from an old daycare. So its scratched and stained pretty badly. I've considered buying chalkboard paint and refinishing it. But I have so many Dry Erase markers.. Giggle. I guess I could try the white board paint
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2