Classroom - Ideas for set-up, desks, walls, boards, books

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Erna

personal laminator?

Unread post by Erna » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:18 am

wsterk wrote:Do you have a personal laminator? If so, was it a good purchase. I am thinking about buying one. Any thoughts? Years ago I was a public school teacher and the laminator was my best friend. :) Thanks!
I have one and have found it worthwhile. I use it for laminating memory verse cards and more. I use it less now than when my children were younger but I still wouldn't do without it.

TriciaMR

Re: personal laminator?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:54 am

I have one. I like having one. It's nice to be able to laminate times tables or things that are used a lot. I laminate the timeline pieces. Plus, a low odor dry erase marker works on laminated things, so you can print your own writing lines on cardstock, laminate it, and voila, portable whiteboard. (Probably not cheaper than the ones in the dollar bins at Target, but whatever.)

-Tirsh
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Ohmomjacquie

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:03 pm

I got a frontier laminate last christmas. So much better than goin to staples and spending a fortune.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:52 pm

I just bought one several weeks ago and have already pulled it out and used it three times. I'm so glad that I went ahead and made the purchase. I bought the Scotch TL901 home laminator on Amazon. I did a little research beforehand and this one had consistently good reviews for home use.

FYI...If you do end up purchasing this model on Amazon, there is one that comes with 20 laminating pouches and is only $2 more than the original without the pouches. A better deal as you'll need the pouches anyway.
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:32 am

I use my laminator to make things last longer. I laminated the geography game and game pieces in ECC. I laminated my daughters Sing, Spell, Read and Write alpahabet and phonics cards. I laminate different writing sheets that I want my daughter to use more than once.

I love it. It seems at the beginning of the school year I laminate more things than towards the middle/end.
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

4monkeyz

Posters

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:45 pm

4monkeyz wrote:how do you keep posters on the walls/doors?! mine keep falling down!! i have used packing tape, recently mounting squares...very frustrating esp. when sick and laying on the couch, i can here our timeline flit to the floor, then the posters coming down...ugh. then the cats play with the timeline squares and the little girls try to pocket them 'cause they are cute...oh my.
Postby ♥nbamaboyz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm
I use a large wall pocket (again I'm not sure of the correct name) from walmart for our larger posters/charts.
Well worth the money, just a few straight pins & it all stays put. No more whooooshing sounds hitting the floor!

Our time line & map is about the only thing I've not battled sticking, it's on printer paper hanging by tape & sticking great along with our world map.

Postby TriciaMR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:50 pm
Andrea,
Masking tape for timeline pieces (rolled on the back so its double sided). Our large US map is thumb-tacked into the wall, with masking tape over the corners. Our presidents poster is hung up with scotch tape. Scotch tape usually works for smaller stuff, masking tape for heavier/larger stuff. I had duct tape to hang up our pocket chart, and it eventually stopped holding, too, so I know what you mean :)

Postby MelissaB » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 pm
For our World Map, we reinforce the corners with clear scotch tape (to prevent tearing), then pin them to our wall. Since doing that, it hasn't fallen down once! ;)

Postby Yodergoat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 pm
I like this stuff called "stikki wax" and also "stikki clips." I got some from Rainbow Resource. The wax is used like poster putty, but holds MUCH better. I even use it in my Sunday School classroom, for decorating for birthday parties, for VBS, etc. I despise walking into a room to find posters and papers slid onto the floor. :|

The clips have a piece of this wax on the back. So you mount these, then slide the papers into them. One holds a sheet of paper well. I like these for hanging up the First Grade Proverbs copywork sheets for her to look at for memorizing... the papers can be changed out easily. I had thought of this for timeline pieces but decided to mount a foam board instead. A few clips might hold up a map or light poster?

If you look for them at Rainbow Resource, I used to have a lengthy review under: StikkiClips - Set of 20 White. If you read it you will also notice that I used this product for making a certain kangaroo pencil holder from K. ;) Worked great and Mrs. Kangaroo is still intact. And still often used, too!

Postby Julie in MN » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:46 am
For sticking, I have the best luck with taping things "to" something - taping a poster to a large framed picture already on the wall, taping the RTR skeleton to the side of our buffet, etc.

Postby Ohmomjacquie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:00 pm
As for posters and such we are using sticky tac. No posters really just timeline pieces and such.

Postby 4monkeyz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:58 pm
Thanks ladies! :-) I have had some more posters slip down, so I think we might go to notebook pages or maybe use a photo album?? Anyways, I appreciate all the suggestions!!
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

DS4home

cataloging books

Unread post by DS4home » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:05 pm

C4Car wrote:I am needing to sort through all my book and get things in order. We also had many books donated to our local homeschooling co-op that need to organized so parents can check them out. I have heard there are some apps or other new technology that can help with this. Any Ideas? How do you organize your books at your homes?
I have wall to wall book shelves and ended up deciding to organize them by time period. That just made the most sense so I could find them easily as we work through the MFW history cycle.

I have a shelf of just Bible resources, a shelf of ECC books and resources, a shelf for the encyclopedias, and consecutive shelves of history books in order. I have a shelf of our science resources over the years all together. I also have high school books somewhat separated on their own shelf space. Then I have my work shelf that holds the current year's TM and resources that are used daily. I have a few shelves near the bottom that are just picture books and easy readers for the younger years.

It works for me. Now someone else might want to come in here and rearrange the whole thing! :-)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

asheslawson

Re: cataloging books

Unread post by asheslawson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:31 pm

I have way too many books too - so mine are organized like this:

Bookshelf 1: top 2 shelves of favorite children's books I may never part with
1 shelf of frequently used historical reference books and my set of multi-subject reference books
1 shelf of current year curriculum (just put EXto1850 on it a couple of weeks ago getting ready for this year)
1 shelf of bibles, devotions, religious books
1 shelf of miscellaneous curriculum like art reference books, foreign language reference books, etc.

Bookshelf 2: Another shelf is books we are currently reading on top shelf and books we use everyday, like spelling & math books
Next shelf down is my old set of Cornerstone Weekly Reader history books & old yearbooks from when I was in school and my adult children were in school
The bottom shelf is more favorite children's stories, some from when I was a little girl

Bookshelf 3: Entire shelf is really nice set of Reader's Digest classics & nice books I've purchased - almost entirely classics like Moby Dick, Sherlock Holmes, Kidnapped, etc.

Bookshelf 4: Mostly paperbacks on top shelf sorted by educational on one side & fun reading on the other side
2nd shelf is paperback chapter books & series chapter books like A-Z mysteries, and 3 Investigators
Bottom shelf is more children's books - I just can't seem to get rid of them!!

Bookshelf 5: Top 3 shelves are history / geography / bible reference books, including a set of Reader's Digest Biographies on famous historical figures (like Joan of Arc, President Lincoln, Winston Churchill, etc.
Next 2 shelves are science reference books
Next shelf is math reference books and math curriculum that is waiting for my daughter to use after my son finished
Bottom shelf is my Little House on the Prairie books and some other chapter books

Then I have a shelf of craft books built into a recessed area over a desk and under that a shelf of cookbooks and gardening books that I really should get rid of because I usually just use the internet for ideas - but sometimes I grab an old fav (some were my grandmother's) or pull out the craft books & let the kids scour for ideas.

Then I have plastic crates loaded with way too many paperbacks!! Goodness - I do believe I'm a bibliophile! I keep saying I need to create a card catalog system & create a spreadsheet of my books - but I never have time to even attempt that task - I should have started it when I only had one or 2 shelves of books!!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/