Schedule - Can't seem to fit it all in! Sick days,

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:06 pm

Like Julie and Tricia, I always try to make appointments in the afternoon, after I know we will be finished with school. I make school our priority each day, and I try not to let other things interfere with school. I don't answer the phone during school, and I don't get together with friends until afternoon. The way I view it, this is my job. When I took on the responsibility of educating my children, I committed to a full-time job. I used to be a public school teacher, and I was expected to be at that school each day to teach the children in my care. I view my homeschooling much the same. This is my main job right now...training, discipling, and educating my children. So, I make sure I set aside the time each day to do that. Our school block is roughly from 9 or 9:30 to 1 or 1:30 each day.

That is not to say that things don't come up. Yes, adjustments must be made, and there are weeks that are extremely busy. There are times when I must schedule an appt. during our school time, but I try to make sure those times are few and far between. Lest you think I don't have much else on my plate, in addition to being wife and homeschooling mom, I am the Commander of our local Awana ministry, I am a volunteer at our local library, and I am currently trying to finish my thesis so that I can graduate in December and earn my Master's degree. So, yes, I do understand about busyness and having to juggle things to get it all in. But, even during those busy weeks, school is my priority, and everything else must work around that, for the most part.

As far as cleaning, etc. goes, I wake at 6:30, and we don't start school until between 9 and 9:30. Waking early allows me to make sure I get time to take a shower and read my Bible. Then, with the extra time, I start a load of laundry, put away a load of dishes, make the beds, maybe do some light picking up, etc. My dds get themselves ready for the day, have breakfast, take care of the bunny, and 7yo dd does piano practice. We have school from around 9:30 or so to around 1:30 or 2 (we have some breaks in there). Then, I do my housecleaning and finish laundry, etc. in the afternoon when school is done.

For me, I have to make school a priority, and work other things around it. When I wake early and get my day started before the kids do, I am able to get some work done before school, and if we start school early enough, I am able to do more housework after school is done. It works well for us. :-) I hope you find a schedule that works well for you and enables you to accomplish all that you want to. :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

amylynn12

Unread post by amylynn12 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:57 am

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate hearing how the busy weeks work for each of you. I think I had it in my mind that I had to do everything each & every day. It just isn't realistic some days. I like the point that Kelly made about how public schools have weeks like that too. That is true.

Also, I really like what Julie, Tricia & Jen mentioned about scheduling appointments after school. Sometimes I just take whatever time they give me & try to work school around that. We did start my Highschool dd 4 weeks ago & we actually had to do night school the first week with her because of one of those crazy busy weeks. :(

Jen, your point about making homeschooling your priority each day and scheduling other things around school is what I need to be doing. I do feel that school is a priority, but I have been doing a poor job at balancing it with everything else. It is so easy to try to get the errands/appointments done while other kids are in school & then try to work on school when we get home, but sadly, it seems more chaotic doing it that way & I just end up giving up. I love how you put this: "This is my main job right now...training, discipling, and educating my children. So, I make sure I set aside the time each day to do that." (Sorry. I am too computer challenged to figure out how to attach a quote). :)

Liz, I like your advice to start slowly & do more on days we can. I think we will definitely have to do it that way. :)

Jennie, thanks for the encouragement to "just do something." each day. :)

Kellybell, I am so sorry to hear your family has Strep. :( I hope & pray you all feel better soon. (((Hugs)))

Thank you all again for your help. :)
Amy in Oregon
Working on:
MFW K: Karly (5)
ECC: Kyla (11) and Khloe (8)
Karissa (14) joining some ECC and a mix of other things. :)
MFW Highschool: Kaylee (17)
Preschool fun with Katie (3)
Anxiously awaiting another blessing on the way (Due Sept 2011) :)

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Just a quick thought to add to the others. I schedule more school on Mondays and Wed , I move art and science around so that we do several lessons on one day so that Tue and Thurs afternoons are more free for appt or errands. I also make sure we have Fridays for chores. I'm pretty stringent about my school times but I try to schedule time in for "life" events.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

jasntas

help using timers

Unread post by jasntas » Sat May 09, 2009 8:07 pm

RachelT wrote:I like the egg timer idea, but I have tried using a timer, and my perfectionist always balks at being timed and begs me to just shut it off!
I have a suggestion regarding using timers. My ds use to freak out when I would set a timer but he would never get his work done without it ether. So I always set the timer for about twice the time it will actually take him to complete the given task. (In other words, if I think it will take him 10 to 15 minutes to complete the given task, I will set the timer for 30 minutes.) I tell him how much time he has. Knowing that he can complete the task before the given amount of time is up, he quickly finishes the task. Then he gets the remainder of the time to have a break. He usually runs outside and jumps on the trampoline for the extra 10-15 minutes or so he "earned". He now loves the timer and the extra "play time". And I get a chance to start another load of laundry or whatever. Believe me, it takes him a lot less time even with the "play time" than it did previously.

HTH
Tammie
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Amy in NC

Do you squish to catch up?

Unread post by Amy in NC » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:54 pm

rawbanana wrote:do you squish days together to catch up or do you just pick up where you left off, go at normal speed and just go longer at the end of the school year....?
I squish! Does that make me squishy or a squisher? :-) I have a general goal of being done with our stuff by the middle of May each year. And I also don't want to miss anything. So I usually try to squeeze 2 days into one where I can. I suppose it would depend on whether you feel like you can honestly keep up the pace into June and beyond. I know we're done by then. Just not gonna happen. So I squish it all in. HTH

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR

cbollin

Re: Do you squish to catch up?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:09 pm

Anna,

I wanted to suggest you consider asking this question again as another thread if you are still looking for ideas.
  • "I LOVE the way the teacher manual is laid out, but say a sickness runs thru our family and we do no school or 7-10 school days or something...do you squish days together to catch up or do you just pick up where you left off, go at normal speed and just go longer at the end of the school year....?"
I've been trying to think about what we do.
I tend to drop language arts and math and do
couch school unless they are really really really sick and can't do anything.

Couch school becomes this kind of stuff in MFW
read alouds
reading Bible to them
reviewing memory work if needed

looking at pictures in book basket, or maybe an audio book if they want (optional)

no language arts from unit studies (so they don't have to do copywork stuff)

math -- play catch up after illness

maybe a fun craft if that's involved
they can listen to music.

But, I keep it very simple and light so that it isn't squished, or forgotten, or playing too much catch up when it comes to the mfw stuff. and math/lang art? it can combine squish and catch up, or do a little bit on the weekend in math. eventually language arts in PLL/ILL get caught up or skip a lesson if needed.

not sure that makes sense. But with my kids, they haven't been so sick that they can't listen to someone reading to them a little bit, so take that into account. I'm praising God that I haven't had to deal with serious illnesses with kids.
guess we're blessed.
-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:03 am

rawbanana wrote: I LOVE the way the teacher manual is laid out, but say a sickness runs thru our family and we do no school or 7-10 school days or something...do you squish days together to catch up or do you just pick up where you left off, go at normal speed and just go longer at the end of the school year....?
If all the kids are sick, well then we just watch PBS... But, we just pick up where we left off, but we have state requirements for number of days of school with minimum number of hours, so, it doesn't make since for us to try to squish more school into less days. But, we've also done like Crystal suggested - read alouds, Bible, history, and even English if it is a lesson we can do orally.

I also bought each of my kids a clipboard, and my oldest has been known to be able to do copy work and vocabulary, too. And one of my sons, even though he was sick, the Tylenol would bring his fever down, and he felt good enough to do K mostly sitting at his desk with a blanket draped around him. So, I think it kind of depends on how sick. When my dd had pneumonia, well, we didn't do school for a week.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:57 am

we have couch school everyday ;) ;)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

netpea

Sick Kids..

Unread post by netpea » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:23 pm

gratitude wrote:What do you do when you lose a week or two due to the flu? I don't mind doing school through June next year, but it is in the back of my head as the days go by.

The baby had the flu two weeks ago. We still managed school with her sick. Then last Tuesday my oldest became sick, and then it went through the house. No let up in sight yet. I am sure we have at least a few more days without any school work, for at least 1+ weeks off. I know this in a way is the blessing of home school, but I am also wondering how others approach this issue.
I try to get some of the work in when the kids are sick, even if it's just listening to the read alouds and answering questions. Much of the stuff can be done orally so we try to do that. If they are too sick to get out of bed, we will do our reading in the bedroom. I try to do as much as we can that week, skip some of it, and push some of it off till the next week. I don't feel bad about doing it this way. If the kids were in public school they would simply miss that whole week.
- Lee Ann
Using ECC for 2010/2011 with a 3rd and 5th grader

TriciaMR

Re: Sick Kids..

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:34 pm

gratitude wrote:Do you have them catch up the following week then, like they would have to do for public or private school? We have been reading, but not anything specific for school work.
We've got it too :( - some kind of cold/flu thing.... Haven't done any school since Thursday. Hopefully the last child will not get it (he sometimes doesn't for some reason), and we can start up tomorrow. If oldest is well, we'll go ahead and start her up. If the boys are well, then we'll start them up. If one of them isn't well, then I'll keep 1st on hold until both of them are well. They usually sit in on Bible, History, Science in RTR anyway, so they can listen in on that.

I don't push when they're sick, and often PBS is the teacher :) I'd rather wait until they're better and will retain it.

And, I've been there - done school 'til the middle of June when oldest got pneumonia a couple of years ago. She had had a cold, so we missed 4 days. Then the boys got sick, and they missed several. Then she came down with pneumonia and was sick in bed for a week. I now start early August to give us some padding at the front of the year.

But, I have done read alouds, or picked up other books to read, and I think that is fine.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

netpea

Unread post by netpea » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:32 pm

If they are so sick that we don't get anything done then I just stop and we pick up again on the day we left off when they are up to it. But as I said, if we can work it in we do as much as we can while they are sick and just eliminate some of it or push it off till the next week. Mostly I find things like Science experiments waiting till they are feeling better.
- Lee Ann
Using ECC for 2010/2011 with a 3rd and 5th grader

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:40 pm

gratitude wrote:Do you have them catch up the following week then, like they would have to do for public or private school?
I had kids in public school for about 14 years, and I can say that there is very little make-up work for sick days. It depends on the grade and on the particular child's skills, but from K-6 we even took 2-week vacations and did little more schoolwork than keeping a trip journal, as long as my kids were doing pretty well in school. In grades 7-12, there really wasn't any way to make up the class lectures etc., so it was just a matter of any homework assignments that they may have missed. The only thing that was a "really big deal" was attendance records/excused absences (i.e. red tape).

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:18 pm

If I'm feeling well, I still try to organize the kids independent work, and maybe work independently with a well child on things we need to catch up on- like Writing Strands. ;)

Sometimes, if everyone is a little off, we will skip the math and language arts and huddle up on comfy couches in the family room for history readings and bible. I try to keep moving forward as much as possible. There seems to be plenty of times that we are too sick to do any school. So if I can squeeze something in, I will try to adjust our routine to make it work.

I have a hard time doing school in June. I can usually handle starting earlier in August better.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:30 pm

We just don't do school and then double up later to catch up. But we also school year round, so I usually feel ahead rather than behind anyway. And this year we are reeeeeeally behind due to my own health issues. But I haven't stressed about it, since we started the first week of July for this school year anyway 8O

Just one of many ways to do it.

:)
Edie

meagabby

Unread post by meagabby » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:49 am

When we are sick, especially if mom is sick, we don't do school. I find that when I'm not feeling good, I don't retain much, so I figure they don't either.

We'll read or watch a Nest Entertainment video. It's not like a free day, they are usually feeling pretty crummy and sleepy anyway.

Then, we just pick up where we left off. If it's more than one day, sometimes we'll condense or double up, but why cram more into a day just to be on a schedule? We still enjoy the lessons, just few days or week later.
Loving learning with MFW!

1974girl

Unread post by 1974girl » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:10 am

I am on day 12 of it myself (upper resp. infection)...just got back from the doctor! We took a week off. I will probably school a little longer in December and not take such a long break...who knows. I start the first of August just for this reason! If they feel like it, just try to get the 3 Rs in and hold off on the MFW stuff. You could actually do MFW on weekends if you had the 3 r's out of the way. My kids can be coughing their heads off and trying to dance in the living room at the same time. I had to turn off the music yesterday so they wouldn't overdo it! Me...I will feel horrible with the slightest stuffy nose. I think I am worse than a man.
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

momtogc

Split week

Unread post by momtogc » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:28 pm

This is our fourth year to use MFW and yet I still struggle with how to handle those times when someone has been sick and we miss some days. Last week Monday was a holiday, then my dd got sick so we only accomplished two days of lessons, more or less. What should I do? Make up the work on Monday and Tuesday, then start a new week on Wednesday or Thursday, which doesn't really appeal to me because our weeks would be "off" for a long time. Or do we just take our time next week to finish what didn't get done then start a new week the following week. Or just skip what didn't get done and begin a new week on Monday?

I know we could pick up where we left off on some subjects like math and ILL, but some of the things we missed are history, vocabulary, science and music. I'm inclined to want to cover those areas.

I'd love to hear what everyone else does when there is a gap in your school week due to illness. Thanks so much!

Meleasa
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

G'smom

Split week

Unread post by G'smom » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:41 pm

momtogc wrote:This is our fourth year to use MFW and yet I still struggle with how to handle those times when someone has been sick and we miss some days. Last week Monday was a holiday, then my dd got sick so we only accomplished two days of lessons, more or less. What should I do? Make up the work on Monday and Tuesday, then start a new week on Wednesday or Thursday, which doesn't really appeal to me because our weeks would be "off" for a long time. Or do we just take our time next week to finish what didn't get done then start a new week the following week. Or just skip what didn't get done and begin a new week on Monday?

I know we could pick up where we left off on some subjects like math and ILL, but some of the things we missed are history, vocabulary, science and music. I'm inclined to want to cover those areas.

I'd love to hear what everyone else does when there is a gap in your school week due to illness. Thanks so much!

Meleasa
I vote for this one!!
momtogc wrote: Or do we just take our time next week to finish what didn't get done then start a new week the following week.

momtogc

Re: Split week

Unread post by momtogc » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:58 pm

One of each wrote:I'm all ears to hear what others do. :) This is our first year with MFW and I'm having the same issue. We missed Monday for the holiday while Tuesday and Friday were cut short due to therapy appts and our monthly outreach at a nursing home. So I know one week every month I'm going to be off schedule 2 of the 5 days. Only thing I can think of is to do school on Saturday that week.
Even though I can't figure out my own problem, I have some thoughts about your situation! lol Since you already know that you will be off schedule at some point each month, it might work to aim for finishing a certain number of weeks in a month. For instance, if you know in advance that you have three or four days in a month that you won't be home, shoot for say completing three weeks of ECC that month. Start each month at the beginning of a new week and work toward completing that predetermined number of weeks.

Or if you won't be missing that many days, you can sometimes move a lesson to a day that is scheduled lighter. At times we have taken our school on the road with us. I would have dd read aloud to me while in transit to piano, and we often took school work in a bag along with us to the doctor office. It helped us stay on schedule.

Meleasa
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:42 am

I can't seem to bring myself to start the grid in the middle of the week either. We had two days off last week also. I did not plan the appointments well this time around because I forgot about the holiday. We did day 1 and day 2 on Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday was the appt. day. Friday was a half day. I plan to do day 3 and day 4 this coming week and spreading them out over the week.

Normally, if we only have one day off or if the grid has extra activities scheduled on Friday I spread the activities for that day out over the other days of that week. In other words, if we are off on Monday then I may double up and add Monday's reading to Tuesday, science to Wednesday, etc. I hope that makes sense.

If this is a reoccurring situation every month I don't think I would want to only complete 3 weeks of the program a month unless I was homeschooling year round.

I'm not sure how to 'squish' 5 days into 3 but it could probably be done with a little planning. Maybe move some of the read aloud or science around and add to the previous or latter week especially if it doesn't directly tie in with the flow of the rest of the program.

With a little planning ahead and switching around of that week's grid and moving some things to the previous and/or latter week as I mentioned, I think it could be done. That's probably what I would do or at least try to do.

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:15 am

You know, we just "do the next day." So, right now, our "Mondays" will fall on Tuesday for a while. Then, something will come up, and it will shift again.

In past years I actually "needed" grid Friday to land on Wednesday (too much going on on Wednesdays to be able to squeeze a full day in). So, if our days got "off" due to sickness, I would just spend a few days only focusing on Reading, Writing, Spelling, Math, and English. Then I would add in educational videos from the book basket until things lined up again. Our state requires 4 hours a day, so we would do that. Sometimes I would add our own read aloud (some classic that the kids hadn't read yet). Usually I only needed a couple of days to get things "lined up." Or, we would make it a field trip day - you know, go to the zoo or something.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 pm

I like doing a 5-day school week with one day being a lighter day, as scheduled in the MFW TMs. However, if we miss a day during the week for some reason, I can usually squeeze the history, science, etc. into 4 days and I just drop math, reading, etc. for that 5th day. So, I can easily do the MFW week in 4 days.

I find it hard to do a week in 3 days. So, this past week, when we missed 2 days because we were on vacation, I did three days of lessons and let one day carry over into the next week. Then the next week will be a 4-day week, also. Is that about as clear as mud? ;-) I am glad when we are able to get back to our 5-day week, with one day being lighter, because when we do a 4-day week, the days are really full.

Just one idea for you.

I also liked your idea, though, of finishing up this week's work next week and then starting a fresh week the following week. I think that would work well, and it would allow you to spend some extra time on history and science topics next week if you desire.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:46 pm

If we have a really off week where we only get 2-3 days of schoolwork done, that usually means that the house needs to be picked up and laundry needs to be caught up as well. An off week is usually a really busy or sick week and everything slides, too. In that case, I spread the school week out into the next week and use the extra time in the catch-up week to get the house and laundry and shopping schedule back on track.

This year, I made up a school calendar beforehand that gives me at least one week per month off. We started Aug 8th and aim to finish June 22nd. That way, if something goes sideways, I have a buffer built in every month and don't have to feel stressed because I'm falling behind. We've always ended up dragging the year to the end of June, anyway, so this year I'm planning for it and saying that "We're right on track!"
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:00 am

I Love your idea Cyndi! I always like the "We're right on track!" feeling.

It may or may not work for you, but I don't pay much attention to Monday - Friday on the grid. I can hear on this thread though that my ignoring it would not work for everyone.

What I do pay attention to is I never turn the page to a new week until everything is completed for the current week. I do move things around on the grid. Sometimes a day will take more than a day, sometimes less. Sometimes I will choose to do 2 days of science in one day. Sometimes I will go horizontal, especially with hands on activities & read aloud books. The basics that I do each day we home school are Bible, LA, & math. Then I add the rest in and doing as much as I think is doable for the type of day or week we are having. The best way to describe my home schooling is flexibility within boundaries/structure. I need the structure of the grid, but I also need to be able to make it work according to the kind of day/week we are having. If I became determined to finish every day as written my personality would become overly stressed and push and take the joy out of learning, and I probably would try to do school during illness to stay on track the way I am wired. ;) So instead if we have an illness I just start where we left off and keep on going. I do school though until the weather turns, sometime in late June or July (this year it wasn't until late July/early August!). Then I take a break when the weather is warm & beautiful. So I do have more than 34 weeks to do a school year, so it works for me to ignore the Monday - Friday schedule. Then I start when the weather turns to fall, which usually happens sometime in September; I admit though I have a really difficult time not jumping in the first day the school buses role by - I feel like I am supposed to. So in summary I try to stay more relaxed inside the grid lines. Does this make sense?

With all of these different ideas I am sure you will find one that works just right for your family.