Schedule - Can't seem to fit it all in! Sick days,

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
One of each

Re: Split week

Unread post by One of each » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:15 pm

momtogc wrote:Even though I can't figure out my own problem, I have some thoughts about your situation! lol
That's so me! lol . I figure out others before I can make sense of mine. :-) As for your suggestion, I will take a look and see how that will work for me. Thanks!
Poohbee wrote: For example, this past week, we did school on Wed, Thur, and Fri. We will carry over one day from this week's grid to Monday. Then, next week's M-Th grid days will fall on Tu-Fri. Is that about as clear as mud? ;-)
I want to do this
jasntas wrote:Maybe move some of the read aloud or science around and add to the previous or latter week especially if it doesn't directly tie in with the flow of the rest of the program.
or this

But in reality today, I just did the next day that was on the grid "Thursday" because it didn't have a ton of Geography or Science scheduled and my kids were not in a "school" frame of mind. We spent a lot of time working on attitudes this morning...including mine. 8|
ds, 13; dd, 10
2013-2014 RTR
2012-2013 CTG
2011-2012 ECC

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:21 pm

I remember battling this issue in our early years of using the MFW grids. I'm now in my 7th year of working from a grid (11th year of homeschooling). Now I just do the next day wherever we left off, I got tired of the battle !!

I would get so worked up and push, push, PUSH the kids to do double the work on some days so that I could get MY days lined up on MY teacher's grid. I have realized that the kids are fairly oblivious to MY schedule. They just do whatever work I put in front of them. They don't care that it is Monday and we are supposedly "doing Wednesday's work". As I look at my TM today, I notice that the grid is marked off in 5 columns, but they are not labeled with a day, so really you can put your own day at the top and PRESTO! you're doing the right work on the right day :-) See how that works! 8[]

Letting go of this issue brings such freedom! I don't stress out about missing a day of school anymore, because it is messing up my perfect schedule ;) In fact I even started our school year this year on a Tuesday, so we were off from the get go, by choice !! 8[] Believe me, I know the struggle, BTDT! But it really doesn't have to be an issue.

I just want to encourage you to not let the grid be your task master, it is only there as a guide to keep you moving through the year. I would also add a comment here to not skip a day in an effort to do the first colomn's work on a Monday. Each day's work is important and builds from day to day, week to week, so I would not want to miss some of that history or science info. Just keep plugging along and chances are another day will mess up "the schedule" more and then you'll be "off" by two days.... Like I said, I got tired of the never ending battle to keep it "lined up". It just doesn't matter in the whole scope of things. There are more important things demanding my mental attentions, that I don't need to be fretting over my schedule constantly.

I hope I'm not comming across wrong and that you feel the loving care in this post. We homeschool moms have so much to balance and think about and do, that I hate to see people derail over the little things. It'll be OK, Really :)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

One of each

Unread post by One of each » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:35 pm

DS4home wrote:I hope I'm not comming across wrong and that you feel the loving care in this post. We homeschool moms have so much to balance and think about and do, that I hate to see people derail over the little things. It'll be OK, Really :)
I feel the care and wisdom of what you're saying. Thanks for the reassurance. :) I was grateful again today to MFW when we got home from therapy and I just pulled out the TM and did the next thing. So much easier than last year when I had no lesson plans to follow and just made them up as I went along.

Posted Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:07 am by One of each
We've found our groove with the MFW grid. I love that thing. We took two weeks to visit the grandparents out of state, got home, took that day off and then got right back into school. We started Week 7 today. My kids are learning so much and they tell me all the time that they love school this year. They love doing ILL & PLL, and Writing Strands is going well for my ds who has CAPD. I about fainted when he asked to do WS first the other day. He really likes that the assignments are short and that we only do WS two days a week. I was worried there was going to be too much writing but he's matured some and is handling it fine.

All in all, we're off to a fabulous start and I feel we're going to have our best year yet.
ds, 13; dd, 10
2013-2014 RTR
2012-2013 CTG
2011-2012 ECC

momtogc

Unread post by momtogc » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Thank you all so much for the ideas. All of them were wonderful and I can see me using various approaches depending on the situation we are in. We got a late start on CTG this year and I was feeling some pressure about not losing another week! I'm a box checker for sure so I feel compelled to do it all and not get "off track".

As it turned out, it worked out for us to start a new week because as I discovered upon a closer look that we had actually covered a great deal of the same material (about pyramids) from some other books we had read so we were able to move on. I should have looked closer to begin with, but I am so glad to have gotten your input and these great suggestions from everyone!

I can certainly see the advantage of just picking up where we left off if there are times that we miss a day of school for some reason. And I'm guessing that I can do that and still have light Fridays (which is very important in our home).

Thank you again!! Dawn, I appreciate your comments and I didn't think you came across "wrong" at all. In fact, I needed a reminder about not stressing over little things. :-)
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

Mexmarr

Unread post by Mexmarr » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:54 am

I don't necessarily care what day of the week I do what. I start the grid, and I work through it till it is done, and then move on to the next week - whatever day it falls on.

Sometimes we do several days worth of one subject before we move on to the next subject. I also school year round, so that I have the freedom to take off as needed. So, some weeks I work 4 days, other weeks 6 days.

I was homeschooled myself, and feel complete freedom to make the schedule work for me. I like to see it as my guide, not my boss. I also don't have any weekday comitments, and stay home all day, every day, so I don't have to worry about working around errands.

Granted, I am just finishing up Adventures, so I haven't officially started the 5 year cycle yet. (Got ECC yesterday, woo hoo!). There are many stories scheduled for 3 days, and my kids couldn't stand that. We did them straight through. We usually did all the weeks of science in 1 day. If we did a state sheet, we usually did 2. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out for me.

That is my experience.
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures

cbollin

When one or more kids are sick....

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:10 am

SusanH wrote:How do you handle the work that is done together - we are doing CTG this year. I have a 6th grader & 2 4th graders. The twins have been sick for a few days. =/

I haven't done any of the 'together' stuff with 6th grader b/c I don't know what to do with her once the boys are better. And I wouldn't want to skip all that she and I did and have the boys just pick up where she and I are. Does that make sense? I feel like she is having VERY light days due to their sickness. This, for me, is a big downside to the unit study approach.......

Thanks for any ideas, advice, insight.
I am probably the weirdo out there.... but we're never had anyone so sick that they couldn't do some kind of school at a light level. I remember when I was in public school as a kid myself and was home from school with illness... usually, I could do something at home in between naps. I"m not dealing with chronic illnesses either. So... keep that in mind as you hear what works over here....

We keep on going on. The sick child can listen in on history and hear Bible time, or at least glance at a book with us if they aren't sleeping 24/7. I keep it light on the together stuff for sick child for a day or two...and then on weekend any make up work for a notebook or something is optional. art - skip and it's ok...

I gently review the material from the previous week with sick child to play catch up. I guess in elementary I don't require making up the seat work... but they can sit around and join in for out loud reading time... they might not remember everything and that's ok.

and if it is too light for the well child... then that child got to do more to help me.... and more book basket, and could do more in art, or hobby work.

maybe I"m the meanie of homeschooling, but I know when I had to stay home from school as a kid, I was able to do some homework. I wasn't sleeping all day everyday....

hope everyone gets well very soon. (((hugs))

-crystal

TriciaMR

Re: When one or more kids are sick....

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:59 am

And I'm the opposite of Crystal :)

I have one kid (one of my twins) who was very sick yesterday (we were at the doctor's office all morning yesterday making sure he didn't have appendicitis). He is on the mend today, but still not up to doing school work. (There were several times when I was an elementary kid that I was too sick to do any school work, even at home: chicken pox (2 weeks), stomach virus (5 days), regular flu. I had to make up that work later when I got better. I don't think I ever got that sick once I was in middle school or high school. I do consider some of the PBS shows as educational and will let the kids watch those, but I don't count those as school hours.)

What I am doing... My oldest is in 7th. I am expecting her to do all her independent work. Yesterday we did math, but not science. Today I am hoping to get in all her independent work and Math and Science. We'll skip history and Bible and regular science (oldest is doing Apologia). My well twin: we'll do spelling, reading, math drill, Rosetta Stone, AWANA, Piano, typing, and maybe make him do book basket since several books are due back tomorrow. Anything that I want them to be on the same page (math, handwriting, English) we'll put off. Hopefully, the other two won't get this virus. I do plan on getting caught up with the read aloud today, though. I expect my sick son can sit in on that. The reason I'm not doing History with my kids is we're on the week to learn the state capitals, and I just don't think he is up for it. If it were just listening to the history reading, I would probably do it, and not worry about any student sheets, or scribe for the sick kid.

If my oldest is really sick (she did get pneumonia one year), then I do stuff with the twins, but put off history and Bible and "group" stuff until she is better. I use this time to get caught up on chores and such. Also, having the well kids serve the sick one and do the sick one's chores.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:59 am

Hey! We are sick here too! In the midst of doctor's visits (3x last week!), breathing treatments and now mom sick -- we keep going. I was homeschooled and unless we were throwing up and/or super sick (chicken pox), my mom still had us do work. :)

We are currently doing Adventures, so it isn't as intense as the older grades, but some of the things I'm still doing: Reading (although now that mom has a sore throat dad might be stepping in!), book basket is wonderful! Any notebooking they feel up to, coloring and science activities. I also allow tv during the week for certain amounts of time. They have been building with duplo and napping. When just my son was sick, he would lay on the couch and listen to the readings, but I didn't have him do any writing. He also listened to audio books quite a bit (Hank the Cowdog is a fav & Jonathan Park). My daughter is sick, but she craves being busy so she is still doing some seatwork for 1st grade. I figure if they are asking for something to do, then they are up to it, otherwise, if anyone's laying on the couch on death's door, I cross school off the list for the day....lol.

Hope you guys are feeling better soon! :-)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

sandi

Unread post by sandi » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:24 am

Hey there,
I always make the well kids do school and the sick one can rest. Usually though I do try to get them to do alittle reading or watch an educational dvd. Some days nothing is done and I'm ok with that. God knew we would need this day off. I hope you and your family get well soon. :)
His Child,
Sandi

rebeccal2002

Unread post by rebeccal2002 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:25 am

Hope your kids are feeling better soon (to ALL posters). I have one very sick child at the moment. I'm still proceeding with school and he's laying on the couch when I do reading. He's had fever for 4 days and really isn't strong enough to sit up and do his other seat work. But I read the memory verse to him, and showed him the week's vocab card and such. I think he'll fit back in after he gets over it. And if the others get sick, then he'll catch up while the rest are down. Make sense? :)

I hate the flu. Yuck.

Rebecca
HS'ing since 2006, MFW since 01/2011 :)
2015/16: ECC (2nd time around w/ 3rd, 6th and 8.5 grader), WHL (10th). Also 2nd half of K and 1st for 6 year old.

Finished K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850, 1850-MOD, AHL

and 4 year old helping!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:52 pm

SusanH wrote:This, for me, is a big downside to the unit study approach.......
I wouldn't focus too much on the downsides. This is, after all, something that happens in every group classroom across the country. It is, in fact, something that happens in the workplace all the time. It's good training in how to juggle real life!

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

MFW seems like perfect fit... have a few questions

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed May 01, 2013 2:36 pm

YVA wrote:Hello,
I have all but purchased EEC for next year for 4th and 2nd grade girls, and hope to include our 5 year old, as well. I've found I really love to use literature for learning. I'm very much looking forward to having all of these subjects planned for me!

Regarding planning, I have been using a subject planner in pencil, so I can easily bump items when they are not completed - and have never used a scheduled curriculum before. My question is this, if there are scheduled subjects on a given day that you do not get to, how do you deal with moving them to subsequent days? It's probably simpler than it seems, but it's not something I've dealt with and I'd like to hear how others have handled that situation.

The other question I have is regarding the student pages. I love that this program has reinforcement in the form of these pages, that will save me a lot of time. I'd love to hear ideas on how to mix things up for the days that we are feeling up to using the scissors and glue.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Yolanda
Mom to 4 girls, ages 9, 7, 4, and 18 mths
Yolanda, it has been pretty rare that we "miss" something or have to "bump" something... But, each week the "Friday" on the grid is generally lighter than the other days, and so we've done stuff on that day, or even on a Saturday (especially any experiments that look daunting, or any cooking projects). I highly recommend using timers, especially on days the "geography game" is scheduled, so you don't go too long on one thing. If I have to "miss" or "bump" I would skip art or music to get something completed.

The new grid in the T.M. has checkboxes for each thing, so if you want to, you can just look and see if you missed something from the day before and do it first when you hit that box in the grid.

The other thing to do is to either start the three "R's" early to gradually ease into school (and add some padding to your schedule so if you miss a day it's no big deal), or gradually add them in as you start. So maybe you do everything but Reading, English and Spelling, then the next week add in Reading, the next English, and then the next Spelling, but then fade out at the end....

I also don't worry about keeping my Monday - Friday lined up with the grid on Monday - Friday. I actually need my "light" days to land on Wednesday's because of outside activities, so our "Monday" falls on Thursday in real life, and the "Friday" lands on Wednesday. If we get sick, then I just keep going to the "next" day until it all lines up again.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

kw4blessings

Re: MFW seems like perfect fit... have a few questions

Unread post by kw4blessings » Wed May 01, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi Yolanda,
When we missed certain parts of the schedule this year, I would usually just make a note in my planner (my daytimer-like calendar....I'm still a pencil/paper type of gal!). Then we would make it up on our light day or Saturday. Or as is the case with science and music, I plan to make up for what we missed this summer.....cause there's a lot of it left over. &)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu May 02, 2013 7:53 am

"Bumping" a day's activities is actually something I have to do quite a bit, but I do it ahead of time during my planning. I copy the weekly grids and put them in page protectors to make a planner for myself. (Copyright in the TMs allows copying of the weekly grids as long as you don't lend, give, or sell the manual or copies at any time).

My son has autism and has therapies 2 days a week that I need to make adjustments for in our schedule. One of those days, we travel to a larger city for the therapies and it takes up our whole day, so we must do car school (listening to CDs of history, read-aloud, etc.) and the girls take work with them to the therapy office while we sit there for an hour and a half. So, for that day (which is Tuesday), I sometimes make the "light" day on the grid be Tuesday. Most of the time, I keep Tuesday the 2nd day on the grid, and I just move things around.

The way I do that is to circle the activity and draw and arrow to the previous day or the next day or whichever day I want it done. I write a big M or W (for Monday or Wednesday) in the box for the activity I want to move and circle it so that I don't miss or forget to do that activity. Yes, my grids end up looking kind of messy, but I know how my system works, and it is done in an organized way, so it works for me. It's not hard at all to shift things around when you need to. Because of the lighter day scheduled on the last day of the grid, you can just shift things over a day so that the light day gets filled in a bit more.

I hope this all makes sense. Just wanted to say that the scheduled light day during the week really helps out when you need to shift things or bump things. It provides for a bit of "wiggle room" each week.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

YVA

Unread post by YVA » Thu May 02, 2013 9:17 am

Thank you for the responses and options, I think that the light Friday is such a wise feature and your ideas are easy to implement - that gives me a better idea of how to handle unforeseen circumstances. Thanks for all your help!
Yolanda

extrafor6

Unread post by extrafor6 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Just want to chime in and say to make sure you get student sheets for your 5 year old. She'll want to color the John 3:16 sheets and want her own maps if she's anything like my dd.
Stephanie

Poohbee

Sick/Easy day ideas?

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:53 am

disneymommy wrote:I want to have some ideas in place for days that we really need to take a bit of a break but still want to "count" as a school day. Obviously, if we all have a stomach bug, we will take a genuine sick day. But for those days we all have colds or mommy just needs a mental health day in the middle of winter, I don't want to just take a day "off."

So far, I'm thinking documentaries will be good for those days. Nature/animal ones to go with Ecosystems study in ECC, and I'm sure we can find one about whatever country we happen to be studying. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is board or card games and reading books? Maybe some not-super-messy art time?

Anyone have any ideas I can keep in mind for those days we just need a bit of a break from curriculum for whatever reason?
The BBC Planet Earth series is great to watch and goes really well with ECC. If you look in the Ideas for ECC thread...the general ideas...there is a post about that.

Otherwise, you could play the geography game included in ECC or other games that relate to any of the subjects you are studying. We love watching movies or playing games on our light days.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

DS4home

Re: Sick/Easy day ideas?

Unread post by DS4home » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:22 am

We like to pull out a puzzle to do mid-winter. On those days when we need a break from school we read and work on a big puzzle (not at the same time!).

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

disneymommy

Re: Sick/Easy day ideas?

Unread post by disneymommy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks Jen! My parents actually own the entire BBC Planet Earth series!! That is one we are planning to do for sure.

I just started reading through all of the great ideas on the ECC board. There is so much there! I'm sure I'll get lots of inspiration.

Puzzles are a great idea too, Dawn! We don't really have many puzzles that we could all work on together. (Mostly just little kid ones - some 100 piece ones). I should start looking out for bigger puzzles on sale that we can have on hand to do as a family :)

Just remembered we have The Global Puzzle. I'll set it aside until we have some sick days - or the winter blahs set in.