Encouragement - Lessons beyond the books, faith connections

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Lainie

Encouragement - Lessons beyond the books, faith connections

Unread post by Lainie » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:27 am

The children and I have started our home schooling adventure with ECC. We just learned about the environments of plants and animals. It was brief and simple yet made such an impact.

The definition of environment is
1 : the circumstances, objects, or conditions by which one is surrounded
2 a : the complex of physical, chemical, and biotic factors (as climate, soil, and living things) that act upon an organism or an ecological community and ultimately determine its form and survival
b : the aggregate of social and cultural conditions that influence the life of an individual or community, according to Merriam-Webster.com.

I wanted my children to think beyond the pictures and definitions in the book. I wanted them to see that environment was more than wet or dry and hot or cold. And since being in an intimate relationship with Jesus is the primary focus of our home and therefore our home school, I wanted to help them draw a connection between the two.

After one or two guiding questions, the girls realized that the environment they were currently in, as well as the environment they slept in the night before, was warm, safe, quiet and peaceful. We talked about children in war torn countries whose environments are loud, scary, dirty and angry. Their world and eyes opened up to the fact that not all children are growing up in a home like ours and we were solemn in our gratitude.

I was satisfied that I had encouraged them to see a little bit deeper and make something very academic somewhat personal. I was rather smug if truth be told. “Good job Mom.” Ahhh, now what’s next?

What’s next was that my Heavenly Father had some things to show Mommy as well. That night as I showered, I kept thinking about our day and mentally making adjustments for the next. Of course, I thought about our time on the couch reading our science book. The definition of environment tickled at me. Why? Hmmm, the objects, circumstances or conditions that one is surrounded by. The complex factors that determine our form and survival. The conditions that influence individuals and communities.

Now, it would be quite easy to run rampant and bemoan everything that is amiss in our society and the impact it is having on our children. But such thinking gives me a bellyache and sometimes a migraine too. Instead, I asked the Lord what all of it meant for me and for the children. My answer was sobering.

If someone’s environment is made up of the things in it, surrounding it, when I walk into a room that someone is already in, I have become part of their environment and they have become part of mine. The thought struck me, “What do I bring into their environment?” Am I a pleasant breeze or noxious fumes? Peace or chaos? Anger or love? Do I point, however small the gesture, to the life and love of Jesus or do I make the path of destruction a little bit smoother and wider?

My heart cried out to my Jesus to be an open, willing vessel to bring water and refreshment to the dry, parch souls surrounding me, surrounding us. It was a much needed reminder that we do not live isolated lives. We impact each other constantly. Perhaps not always intentionally but like it or not we affect the people surrounding us. Yes, they affect us too, but hopefully we are learning the peace of being in Christ and allowing Him to be the filter of our experiences.
We can't always control our environment or the people in it but we can, by the power of the Holy Spirit, control our reaction to it.

I am encouraged that living means growing and changing. I'm sure I will have ample opportunity to practice these things I'm learning and will learn. I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm going to learn way more than my children this year...

My desire and prayer is best quoted from Colossians 3:12-17
So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.

Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

donnagio

Unread post by donnagio » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:34 pm

Thank you for your post. Very true. It is so true that we learn as we teach. I love the progression- so often we are led from one thing to the next, until He gets to where He wanted us all along(: I will be adding to my teaching( and learning) of environment and considering our part in the environments of others too. Beautiful scripture, which is really how we should view life, through His Word. So true that all life is dependent on the Lord, and He is the foundation and center of everything we learn and teach...Thanks again.. Donna
Donna
Steve's wife
Our children-
F(da 1984)graduated ps,in grad school
M (son 86)graduated ps,working
L(da 1989)graduated homeschool,engaged
and J( son 1996)currently homeschooling
Teaching and Learning CtG- 2nd year with MFW

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:30 pm

Thanks so much for sharing that with us. How encouraaging it was for me. Thank you for being a bit of iron to sharpen me today.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:10 pm

Hi Lainie,
I also want to thank you for the thoughtful post.

We are reviewing a set of RTR memory verses from 1 Corinthians 13, as well as learning a lot about the early Christian church. Paul really does make me rethink what our priorities are and where our passions should be.

Thanks for the added encouragment to apply this to our homeschools.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:08 pm

Thank you everyone for being so encouraging and welcoming! You have all blessed me by all the posts I've read in the last few months. Thanks for making it easy to jump right in :)

You are all so very welcome and so sweet you're going to make me cry ;) This is truly going to be a remarkable year.
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

4Truth

Using MFW and ministry in real life

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri May 02, 2008 7:25 pm

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:50 am
Just wanting to share my heart for a minute....

One of the main goals for which the Hazell's wrote this curriculum was for a busy family to be able to deal with real life... to "do school" and still be able to serve God in some area. To serve other people and show them the love of Christ. Well, my elderly mother and I have never had a "great" relationship... but it's gotten better in recent years. Soon, she'll be moving across the country to live near us. When I first learned this, I sort of panicked because of how it's going to change *our* lives.

But then I thought about the things I've heard the Hazell's say, what God says in His Word about our purpose in life, about forgiveness and patience and sharing the blessings God's given us with those around us. It dawned on me that this is what God's been preparing us for... to minister to the "unlovely", to open up our hearts and homes... and our time. To share what we've learned, and are learning. This goes right down to our curriculum! What are we homeschooling for? What goes into our decisions for curriculum purchases? Why do we do what we do? For the glory of God. To be discipled that we might disciple others... or at least share God's heart. We don't have to become overseas missionaries for this to happen (although if that's what God's calling you to do, you'd better do it!)... we can -- we ARE -- missionaries right here in our homes and communities.

Will my mother grow to be a strong believer and walk closely with the Lord? I don't know, but having time available to minister to her needs here on earth, both spiritual and physical, is necessary. Apparently God's called me to do it. MFW curriculum can help me do that! Well, it already has because of the focus on Christ and His Word and our purpose in life. MFW and homeschooling aren't just about academics. Academics are necessary, but really just a tool to be able to do the things which God has called us to do. We can even see that in our history and science studies as we see how God has dealt with people and "real life" throughout the ages, for His glory and His purpose.

Then there's the time issue. When I think of David telling about his being "done" at noon because he's got things to do, it makes me laugh. I typically think of being able to have time to get on the computer or balance the checkbook or wade through a mountain of laundry. While that's all true, there's more. Here we are, about to have our lives changed forever by my mom's becoming an integral part of our days and weeks, and in need of being able to be done at noon or thereabouts. With MFW, I can do that.... as long as I don't get bogged down. (Hear David's conference talk about not getting bogged down with unit studies.)

It also reaffirms to me their math and LA choices and the time involved with that. Certain math and LA curriculum choices take a LOT of time and can really bog us down. But with the choices recommended here at MFW, that timeframe isn't terribly long. We can get done what needs to be done and move on. Are those math and LA choices good? Well, certainly they must be "good enough".

Your reasons for using MFW might be different than mine, but whatever it is, please pray today and ask God how He wants you to serve Him. Allow Him to use you for His glory. Right now it might be a nursing infant or a sick family member or a child with special needs. It might be overseas missions or the pastorate. It might be making lap blankets for the nursing home or baby blankets for the hospital maternity ward. Whatever it is, God has placed circumstances and people in our lives for a reason. Please allow MFW to be a tool that God uses to help you serve Him, and to teach your children to do the same. *I* believe that's what it was written for, and why He gave the special talents that He's given to David and Marie.

Love2Liv

Unread post by Love2Liv » Fri May 02, 2008 7:26 pm

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:20 pm

I felt compelled to reply to you.

2 months ago DH, DD and I moved in with my parents. My dad has advanced bladder cancer, and long story short is he's not doing well. I NEVER wanted to move in with parents; I own a house I LOVE that now stands empty because we can't rent it. There is a lot of frustration and work and uncertainty in this new situation. But this is so clearly where God wants us right now.

That's my background. My point is, sometimes ministering to our own families is exactly what God was setting us up to do. Someone has to "stay at home" and take care of the people here. Not everyone can be or SHOULD BE a missionary, worship leader or what have you. And spending an excessive amount of time "doing schoolwork" is just wasteful when there are other things God wants us to spend our time doing. You're dead-on.

It will not be easy. But if it's God's will for you, he will give you the strength/stamina and patience to cope. And you will never regret the time spent with your mom, no matter how hard it may be at the time.

RB

Unread post by RB » Fri May 02, 2008 7:27 pm

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:10 pm

Donna,
I, too, was blessed by your thought-provoking, encouraging post.

This has turned out to be a year of unexpected ministry opportunity for our family as my mom was diagnosed with an unusual type of aggressive stage 4 lymphoma. I have no doubt that God put MFW in our path (we ordered a few weeks before her diagnosis) for this very purpose! She is currently having a Stem Cell Transplant, and will have a long recovery after she is discharged in a few weeks.

I feel like my girls have continued to have a great homeschool education (though we have had to cut a few corners here and there) and we have still had time to help and spend time with my mom.

As for the math and LA...I have found the MFW suggestions to be FANTASTIC, as well as sane :)
(Hi Lov2liv...I know you in real life :)

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Fri May 02, 2008 7:28 pm

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:35 pm

Good stuff, Donna. I couldn't have said it better.

And just a personal note, my mother cared for her aging mother for several years before her death. Many times she told us how grateful she was to have had those years. They developed a deeper relationship than they'd ever had. Plus, my sister & I got to know our Grandma in a new way - we even changed what we called her! She became "Granny" - and we were so blessed. They were hard times with much, much fruit. May God make the fruit visible so that you will be encouraged to press on.

(((hugs)))

rosecottage

Character Training for Mom

Unread post by rosecottage » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:01 pm

I am a new user of MFW, we just completed week 8 in ECC & K last week, using all the MFW recommended materials in all subjects. There are many things I like about this curriculum. It is truly an answer to prayer and a ministry in my life and the life of my family. But I am going to hold back a bit, and just mention one character quality that I am learning from using MFW. That is learning to home school with margin. This requires maturity and self restraint. Trust in God's leading. Avoiding over-teaching, over-talking, overkill in general. Forgetting about what all other curricula out there offers, and enjoying the place where God has led us.

It is carrying over into other areas of life, too. I am finally getting the clarity of mind I need to rid our house of some stubborn clutter. I clung to it as some sort of "reward" for the punishing experiences we were having when I assembled our materials myself. Now I know which items I really do have time to use, and am happy enough with how I spend my school days that I can let go of items that aren't needed.

Thank you for the rich yet realistic, pre-tested (piloted) materials, David and Marie! Thank you all you pilot families, and others who have helped develop and bring this curriculum to the public. And thanks to all you helpful home-teachers who give advice on this board. May God bless you all.
-Leeny

Wife of one wonderful man, Mom of six blessings: DD 14, DD 12, DS 9, DD 7, DS 5, DS 3
Currently Using MFW Toddler/Preschool, MFW K, MFW 1st Grade & EXP1850
Completed ECC

liz217

Unread post by liz217 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:16 am

I'm glad to hear that other moms are being ministered to through this curriculum. I am also learning some things. I tend to have the mentality that I have to "do it all" as it is in the book. But my Lord is teaching me that we don't have to do it all that way. If it works, so be it, and if it doesn't then an alternative is ok. I'm learning to be patient and compassionate.
We've just done day 3 of Sun, and I have already learned a few things about myself and my son. He is really good with reading, and he can read some words, but he has catching up to do with writing. So we focus more time on handwriting, skip some of the too easy reading activities. And do some pre-writing worksheets.

It's been a blessing so far, and he always wants to "do kindergarten" even on Saturdays. :)

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:08 am

Thanks for the post. It sounds like you have a great year ahead of you.

I tend to have a lot of clutter and am working to kiss things goodbye, whether they are jeans that mysteriously shrunk (strange thing it is, they are still LONG enough, but the waist must've shrunk -- anyone else had that happen) or books we don't need. The way I view things is that they a longer life than the one I'm trying to limit them too and they are only stopping by at the Bell house for a while. To keep them means that they bless nobody at all sitting on a shelf or in the closet (come to think of it, perhaps the stale air in the closet causes waistbands to shrink, my husband has noticed this too with his pants). To send them on their way (to the thrift store, to the church library, to my friends, to the crisis pregnancy center) means that they have a new life blessing folks.

It IS hard to figure out how much school is "just right." I've been on both sides of the pendulum. When we've done "too much" then very little of it is retained, everyone is in a poor mood, and it's tiring. When we've done "too little" then we have more free time but we're not moving forward. MFW is "just right" (I sound a lot like Goldilocks, don't I?)

Have a great year.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Julie in MN

Re: Character Training for Mom

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:12 am

rosecottage wrote:just mention one character quality that I am learning from using MFW. That is learning to home school with margin. This requires maturity and self restraint. Trust in God's leading. Avoiding over-teaching, over-talking, overkill in general.
I love this quote. It's VERY important in our schooling.

Also, I was just saying to someone from church that when I'm trying to "correct" my kids, I have too much to say & it's worse than not saying anything. Margin. That's good.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

rosecottage

Unread post by rosecottage » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:31 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, Julie, I too need to sometimes say less when correcting my children. Your post is a good reminder for me in that specific area.

It has grieved me to see posts on this board questioning if MFW offers "enough" academically. To me, it is not only enough, but it is more. (Again, I will refrain from listing all it has that other materials I used have lacked.) The margin it gives me is a great bonus it provides, it is not a lack. The experience of the Hazell's combined with God's wisdom and blessing has allowed them insight that I did not receive directly on my own. Perhaps it is trite to use the cliche "less is more," but I believe that this is one of those instances where it applies perfectly.
Last edited by rosecottage on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
-Leeny

Wife of one wonderful man, Mom of six blessings: DD 14, DD 12, DS 9, DD 7, DS 5, DS 3
Currently Using MFW Toddler/Preschool, MFW K, MFW 1st Grade & EXP1850
Completed ECC

BHelf

Glimmers of Hope in our home school

Unread post by BHelf » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:09 pm

Okay, this is why I love MFW being our choice in curriculum:

We have a really hard time settling down for school time. Our house is a crazy place to be most days. I have a DD7, DS3, and DD2 and then I babysit a 3 YO boy who has some sort of issues that we aren't sure of and his 1 YO sister. The boy does not listen. He hears fine, but I think he is possibly somewhere on the autism spectrum for many different reasons. It is very hard to get into any kind of routine because I am constantly having to keep him from hurting my other children and from getting hurt himself. Anyways, it's a struggle to get my DD7 to want to have school time.

Anyways, we "traveled" to Mexico yesterday and as she showed me (passport agent) her passport and I asked various questions, one of her answers just made me so happy. I asked her why she was visiting our country of Mexico and my little missionary said, "Well, ma'am, do you have Jesus in your heart? 'Cause if you do, I'll tell you about My Father's World homeschool stuff." Of course I said I did have Jesus in my heart but now I wonder what she would've done to witness to me had I said no? :)

Anyways, I often wonder if it's worth it to homeschool when it seems everyday is a bad day, but moments like those make me glad we are and super glad we chose MFW!! And she told me last night, "School is much more fun this year mom. I don't know why I complain about it."
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

Amy C.

Re: Glimmers of Hope in our home school

Unread post by Amy C. » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:05 am

This is really sweet! Very touching!

We had a great moment this week as well. I have hesitated posting it because I don't want it look like I am blowing our own horn. It was definitely a God thing (moment) - all about Him. So I hope it is okay to share it here. I also don't want to take away from the original post. I just want to share in what God is doing.

We had a very stressful, busy week - many outside activities pressing our "school". I had a doctor's appt. Thursday. It was a very dreary day and it was raining when we left the doctor's office. We have a community college in our town and were traveling back home on a street that runs along the college. We had seen a girl the week before when running errands that was walking on hand held crutches. I think she may have cerebral palsy. She had a bag with her books strapped over her body. I thought that day how she had a lot to overcome just to walk to class. This particular rainy, dreary day, when we were traveling along beside the college, we saw her again walking in the rain. I wondered what building she was going and if she needed help. I said something to my boys about it, but kept going since the red light turned green and there were other cars behind me, but the Lord kept pressing my heart so I turned around and went back to check to see if she was still walking in the rain, and she was. As a matter of fact she was crossing the road. It was were I could turn and drive right up beside her. I asked her if she needed help with an umbrella. She said, "Yes, please, if you don't mind." I asked my oldest son to get out and walk her to the building she was walking to, and he gladly jumped out and walked beside her holding the umbrella above her head. It was so sweet to watch him serve another in this way. As a matter of fact, a lady driving a car that had been behind me a couple of cars back when I stopped to ask if the girl needed help (there were many cars behind me at that point), pulled beside my parked car (that I had pulled into a parking place) to tell me how beautiful that was and how she had wondered how she could help the girl, but did not have anything to help her with (umbrella or raincoat).
Later that afternoon, we read a couple of stories from Kingdom Tales. One was about the Breadmaker and how he learned that when we love the King, we love His people. One of the discussion question is how we can show our love for the King's people, thus showing our love for the King. It gave several suggested answers, but we were able to add walking in the rain beside a crippled girl to hold an umbrella over her head (something that she could not do herself). God is so good, and His timing is phenomenol!
I prayed that that act of kindness that God lead us to do and equiped us to do would bring Him glory. I believe it did in so many ways, with the girl herself, with the people in the cars behind us, and in the lives of my sons and my life as well. It was definitely a humbling experience to see how God used us in such a sweet, simple way to bring Him glory and then to reinforce that lesson to us through our Kingdom Tales read aloud.

I hope this does not sound like bragging. It was all of God and I do not want to take any credit for "a good deed". I just want to share how God worked in our lives and through our "school" this week. You know, I thought of my doctor's appt. as an interruption to our school. It was actually all in God's plan and His timing. This was our best "school" moment this week!

Another thing I thought was that that moment would not have happened had my boys been in public school. God is sooooo good!

Amy C.

BHelf

Re: Glimmers of Hope in our home school

Unread post by BHelf » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:06 pm

Amy C. wrote:I know how discouraging it can be to know that you are doing what God called you to and then not have everyone's attitudes be good about it and have to face that every day. It gets very tiresome. I wonder if that is how God feels with me sometime. You know, that He has called and equipped me and yet sometimes, I go kicking and screaming and complaining OR refuse to obey at all. I guess I can be a lot like my kids sometime in my relationship with God.
Wow---excellent point. Thank you for that WONDERFUL reminder!! I had tears reading it and thinking that my frustrations with my kids (my tears, my anger, my sadness over their disobedience) are the same as God's frustrations with me.
Oh Lord, forgive me for having those attitudes with You!

Postby BHelf » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:19 pm
OH it was definitely encouraging. I needed perspective on that situation. You said exactly what I needed to hear and I thank you!!

And I can feel everyone's prayers! Seriously--tonight my children are incredibly well-behaved little angels for the most part!!! It made our grocery shopping trip (which I've been putting off cause DH is out of town and shopping with the kids is rarely an enjoyable experience these days) PLEASANT!!!!

Anyways--thank you Amy for your post. It really made me change my attitude! :)
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

doubleportion

Need encouragement

Unread post by doubleportion » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:38 pm

my3sons wrote:I am currently struggling with some health issues along with being pregnant. It is nothing serious, but added together, I feel icky many days and it is a struggle to get anything done! I am once again overwhelmed.

We are doing ECC and K. It just seems like a lot to do! I had gotten some good advice here and planned out a reasonable and productive schedule. I do not doubt that we will get school done, but I do doubt that it (read: I) will get it done well. Just reading about the worm experiment tires and stresses me out! :)

I am reminding myself that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, but if I am honest, my spiritual life is not going that great right now either. I feel run down, overwhelmed and just plain tired...and we are not starting school for another week!

I am not serious about this, but some days I wish that long yellow bus would stop at our house! :P
He who directed you to homeschool will show you how each day and will give you peace and strength each day. I found when I have been going through difficulties, especially physical challenges, it always helped me to start thanking and praising God for all the things I could about the situation, the day etc. When we get our eyes fixed on Him the view is always better! Hang in there. Seasons change and He uses all of them for our spiritual benefit, if we will just keep looking to Him.

You CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens you.

(singing)
Let the weak say I am strong,
Let the poor say I am rich,
Let the blind say I can see,
It's what the Lord has done in me.
Hosanna, Hosanna to the Lamb that was slain,
Hosanna, Hosanna, Jesus died and rose again!

:)
Edie

Amy C.

Re: Need encouragement

Unread post by Amy C. » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 pm

It is hard for me to find words because I so want to encourage you and not say something that will be discouraging or come across as preachy. I want you to know that I will pray for you. I feel overwhelmed at times, and I am not pregnant. I know that Christ tells us that when we are weak, He is strong. He is our all-sufficient One. He tells us to lean upon Him and cast all our cares upon Him because He cares for us. He tells us that His yoke is easy and His burden is light. And you are right, His word says that we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength.

Just know that you can skip things, like the worm experiment. Your children can learn about niches without doing that experiment. Can you ask your dh to help with some of the projects? And know that you can spread things out longer, like one week into two, if need be. Then on the days you feel better, maybe do more. Just some suggestions.

May God give you all that you need day by day!
Amy C.

jasntas

Re: Need encouragement

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:52 pm

My prayers go out to you. My advice in addition to the advice you have already received would be to make sure that you have your own prayer/study time to be with the Lord. For me, that means that we have to start school about 30 minutes later than I would really like to but I have found that God seems to make up the time difference for us. I know it seems difficult at first but I have just made it a part of my morning routine. And, believe me, when we are running late I am tempted to just skip it that day. When I do I always seem to regret it and miss my "alone time" with God.

HTH

Take care and remember to just take it one day at a time.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

705emily

Just wanted to share.....

Unread post by 705emily » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:10 pm

You know--sometimes home-schooling is VERY hard--some days I feel as thought I'm ready to throw in the towel. I'm not patient enough, organized enough, loving enough..... I'm going to permanently damage my kids.... Why aren't we getting beyond this or that.... Well--I seem to have been thinking these things a lot lately. This week, my dd turned 10. 10 seems to me like such a milestone birthday--and there I was--dwelling on how I could have been a better mamma and all.

I was tucking her into bed that night, and just told her how much I love her, and thank God for her, and she said, so sweetly to me, "Mom," "Thank you for giving me a good start." I said, "What do you mean?", and she said, "I just mean, thanks for giving me a good start in school, and for teaching me about Jesus!" I was so touched....not just by what she said..(I mean that was so sweet), but by God's love in giving that little gem to me at that moment! It was such a gentle, loving way of convicting me that this homeschooling journey is really not about me at all--but about Him and what He wants to accomplish in our family and in our children. His purpose will be accomplished not because of what I do but IN SPITE of what I do and who I am! What a relief to know that!

MFW has been a huge part of that! THANK YOU!! Just wanted to share.....

Blessings!
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

jasntas

Re: Just wanted to share.....

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:44 pm

What a beautiful moment.

I went through the same thing oh about February when my ds turned that #10 milestone and here we are still learning to sound out words (due to his Dyslexia) and I was finding myself comparing him to everyone else we know at his age.

I then had a similar experience. It was then that I realized God gave him to me because He knew I could handle it (even though most days I don't feel like I can).

Thanks for sharing. It's encouraging and a good reminder that it's not all about us. :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Yep, His grace is sufficient. We are blessed with the perfect reminders and for each other. This MFW group has consistently fed my soul and made me see that I am a good mom who is humbled by the gift of my children and of educating them at home.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

Mommyto3boys

Unread post by Mommyto3boys » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:23 am

Irma, thank you for the sweet words. My oldest just turned 12 and I have had thoughts about sending all mine to public school. Your words reminded me why I am homeschooling in the first place and who I can rely on to help me through the day - Jesus. I am getting nervous about high school looming over the horizon, but I am trying to turn it all over to Him and not worry.

I wish my dc would thank me. Only time I hear thank you for homeschooling me is after they had a conference with the principal (Dad) after a particular bad day/week.

Of course, I know I did not realize the value of some things my parents did until I was much older.

Debbie in NC
Mom to 3 ds (12, 9, and 6.5) and 1 dd (4)
Done MFW Adventures, ECC and K, CTG, RTR and K
On EX1850

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:39 am

Irmi,
tissues needed over here.
((((hugs)))) wow. makes it worth it all!

no, we moms and dads not always smart enough. no we're not always patient enough. Neither is relevant. We serve a God who is all of that. and HE is able and as your siggy line reminds us "
'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory"

Jude 24-25
To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—
to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.
Mommyto3boys wrote:Your words reminded me why I am homeschooling in the first place and who I can rely on to help me through the day - Jesus. I am getting nervous about high school looming over the horizon, but I am trying to turn it all over to Him and not worry.
Debbie,
I just had the moment to sit and listen a bit to a speaker from Memphis convention this year, Andrew Kern. I like how he puts it "we need to teach from a state of rest (in the Lord), not a state of worry and anxiety". It puts a whole new look on being a "relaxed classical" homeschooler.

They'll thank us some day. some day. maybe. maybe not. but I have a feelin' that God will thank us for obeying the call on our lives to do this thing we call homeschooling.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.