Special Needs - Ideas for helping with speech

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
cbollin

Special Needs - Ideas for helping with speech

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:32 am

tiffany wrote:My 6 year old is still having trouble pronouncing R's. He has mastered all other sounds. It hasn't caused a problem with his reading or letter recognition, just his speech. Anyone have any suggestions or resources to recommend? Or is it too early?
6 y.o might be too young to be eligible for any outside services if the only thing you are dealing with is the /r/ sound. If there are other things in articulation or language development going on, then some speech language pathologists like to target the sound and help earlier. But if /r/ is the only thing, a lot of times they won't do much. But, keep an ear out for it. Talk with your pediatrician if you don't see any changes after several months.

/r/ is one of the hardest sounds to make in the English language and usually the last one to develop. Most children get this sound by age 7.

Some ideas from the various therapists who work with my kids:
*use a mirror. Sit side by side with your child and you make the target sound in front of the mirror.Exaggerate it a bit. Point out how your mouth looks when you say the sound (rectangular not rounded) And pay close attention to where your tongue is. Then let your child practice it a few times. Don't harp on it. Just a few short times each day.

*pretend to be a lion or bear and growl and roar. sometimes it is fun to target the /r/ that way. I would practice along with my kid so she'd hear the sound. (ok... so we also practiced being Captain Feathersword, the friendly pirate)

*be very patient and relaxed about the whole thing. Some kids will be easily discouraged if they think something is wrong with them. I found myself talking slower with an /r/ word and paid close attention to where my tongue was and how my mouth was moving.

*in speech therapy sessions the therapist used to take a small sized lollipop (like a dum dum brand) and touch it to the top of my daughter's mouth where her tongue should go to make the /r/ sound. Then take away the lollipop and her tongue would curl to those points. I don't know if it really worked or not, but it seemed to. Her tongue would curl up to touch the flavor. I don't know. It's just what they did. I tried to do it at home after they taught me what to do.

Sometimes the simple things work.

I'm just a mom. I don't have any background or training in SLP. I just have the experiences with my 2 kids who get outside services.
-crystal

p.s. just wait until they get braces and other appliances in their mouth, then it starts all over again. <g>

tkbbrl6

Unread post by tkbbrl6 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:28 pm

This is a quote from several resources I have on Lang/Speech Dev of 3-4 year olds : "uses most speech sounds but may distort some of the more difficult sounds such as l, r, s, sh, ch, y, v, z, th - these sounds may not be fully mastered until age 7 or 8 "

I'm on my third dc in Speech Therapy - /r/ is one of the last sounds that they master - it also depends upon what you mean by /r/ - there are actually something like 22 combinations for /r/ if you include vocalic R. There's a website called www.mommyspeechtherapy.com that might have some ideas for you. I like to use the ideas that Crystal mentioned above - the mirror has been an esp big thing in out house so the kids can see the shape of the mouth and where their tongue should be placed. I also have several sets of /r/ cards from Weber - I buy mine through www.superduperinc.com we use them to work on the /r/ sounds by playing games with them. My 9 yo will still sometimes slip an odd sound in for words with /or/ or /ar/ so we continue to work on that - at first he was upset that I would correct him but after we discussed that I wasn't making fun of him but trying to help correct his speech he now tries to be more conscious of his articulation.
Wife to dh for 13 years
Mom to ds (19) Sophmore at USC; dd(11) Level 7 USAG gymnast; ds(9) Green belt in Karate; ds (4)Still waiting for a pet buffalo or lion
Using RTR

caod

Unread post by caod » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:09 pm

The speech pathologist in me who has worked with TONS of /r/'s has to chime in a little. In my experience, if a child is ready to begin saying the /r/ correctly (especially the vowelized /r/) then a little work will go a long way and the correction will come. If they are not ready, no amount of work or therapy will make it happen. I would give the suggestions a try. If they work, great. If not, don't worry about it.

I found that around third grade seemed to be the charmed year. Suddenly all those little guys that I had spent so long working with just "got it" in a matter of weeks when the timing was right.

My experience says wait until 8 years of age and take note of how your child is doing in reading and spelling and other phonics and auditory processing skills. When he seems to have all that down really well and is 8 or older, then the /r/ should come around. If not, check it out.

Connie

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:37 pm

My experience reflects what the above-poster said. My ds also had minor speech issues (the "s" was "th", "l" was "w" and "r" was "w" and I think some others too). Most of these resolved themselves by five except that stubborn "r" sound. We did speech therapy with him for six months at six years old and guess what? He wasn't interested, only got it half the time and was distracted at home trying to practice. I decided to put it down (after about six months of once a week therapy). We laid it aside until he turned 8. At 8, he was ready, able, and willing to work at it. In another 5-6 months, he mastered that stubborn "r".

If my memory serves me right, the speech therapist told me that some don't master this particular sound until 8 years old. If they go past 8 and still haven't mastered it, you may want to look into it. If he's only six, I'd give him a little more time.

I used to have some links for some fun computer games for this sound. We found a batttleship game he could play against the computer and he really liked it. It was cute, he would just sit in the computer chair growling his "r" sound "rrrrrrrrrain" or "rrrrrrrrrrake", etc. We also made lots of flashcards out of index cards.
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

lyntley

Saying the wrong sound

Unread post by lyntley » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:02 pm

Dannielle wrote:I know that speech effects the way that you sound out letters and blends, but does it affect the order in which you sound out letters in a word? Sometimes my ds will flip letters sounds when sounding out a word and will also add in sounds that are not there. For /th/ he says /f/, /y/ is /l/, /s/ is sometimes /z/. He gets b and d mixed up and their sounds and sometimes p.

My ds is 7 and doing MFW 1st. Are there other children struggling with this? I'm wondering if this maybe just an age thing or is it a real speech problem.
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:45 am

That's very normal for a seven year old. My MIL is a retired k and 1st teacher and had a lot of sp needs kids too. She says They are still very young readers at 7 specially boys are later to work out all those issues. SOme even 9 or 10 to read more fluidly. Just gentle reminders and a loving mom and dad to help with those tricky sounds are the best medicine. SHow them where to put their tongue and how to shape their lips. Keep doing lots of read a louds. And if you still feel more comfortable having their speech or hearing tested then you can do that too.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:05 pm

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:54 am

You’ll want a mirror for the child to watch himself as he makes the sounds and then show and tell him where to place his tongue to make the sounds. Just pay very close attention to where you put your tongue and practice in front of the mirror with him. Make the /f/ sound and then the /th/ sound. Notice that you don’t see your tongue on the /f/, but do see it on the /th/ Now try it with other sounds. Work for a few minutes with him.

Don’t allow anyone to make fun of him. You can begin to slow down and emphasize correct pronunciations in your normal activity. Don’t over work him or make him go back and repeat everything that he is trying to say. It will only embarrass him, and that’s not the goal.

Consider buying a book called 1st Straight Talk : A Parent’s Guide to Correcting Childhood Mispronunciations. It is available at http://nathhan.com/straight.htm

How about getting Speechercise, Level 2? Here is one place to order it Heads Up Now

Can he play around on Starfall.dot for some extra helps?

Maybe later you’ll want to have some simple worksheets with pictures on them to help practice words that are hard. Super Duper Inc sells a lot of things. You might want to request their huge paper catalog and look through the articulation section. But that can get expensive. They carry a variety of speech products – cards, workbooks, etc.

-crystal

my3boys

Unread post by my3boys » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:06 pm

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:53 pm

My older ds used a book called 'Pyramid'. It's a reader with a twist - to help promote fluency and also to help with reversals of all kinds.

caod

Unread post by caod » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:13 pm

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:38 pm

I have chimed in before on speech and language issues. I am a speech therapist but I do hesitate to "diagnose" without seeing the child. I think so many people do that and that it is a mistake. It could be something as simple as developmental and something more complicated than that that needs some "intervention" of some kind.

The suggestions listed in previous posts are good ones. My own 7 year old had trouble blending and sequencing the sounds appropriately. One thing that you can do is use different colored blocks or markers or anything... the key is different colors and have him point and say the sound at the same time. It gives a visual cue that the sounds are seperate and adds a kinesthetic dimension as well. You would have two blocks if there are two sounds and three if there are three and so on. Each block would be a different color. You are also reinforcing the phonograms because you are looking to blend the SOUNDS or phonograms not letters. That is what I would do often when working with articulation. You could also write out the word with two different colored markers making each phonogram an alternating color (black, green, black, green, black green). The key is that the phonograms are indicated and each sound is seperate, then blend. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

Do speech problems and reading problems go together? They can go together but it is definitely not a given. I always told parents that speech is not just a "mouth" movement it is a brain processing. It requires a huge amount of coordination to make it all happen. Some of the things that you do to help speech are going to help reading as well. You are helping the brain to process the sound, blend and in general begin to "tune in" to sounds in a way they are not doing automatically. The problems you describe with your ds indicate that he would benefit from some "outside of the box" work with his reading. It will come but may take some work on your part.

I am partial and maybe not terribly politically correct in the homeschool world, but I think your public school can be a good resource in this kind of situation. It may be great or it may not be but it wouldn't cost you anything to find out what they have to tell you.

I wish you well. I love these kinds of children. They are great to work with and I always found that they made good progress once you found out what made them click.

Connie

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:15 pm

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:36 am

I wanted to recommend two resources to the OP. One is the computer program called Color Phonics sold by Alpha Omega. As Connie recommended color coding, Color Phonics does use color coding and moving visuals to demonstrate correct placement of the tongue and lips. I haven't actually started it yet, but plan to try it with my 5yo. I've looked at it so I know what it does, and am anxious to get going with it. This discussion just reminds me that it's time.

The other is www.dorbooks.com, which is the website for Phonics Pathways by Dolores Hiskes, who specializes in teaching kids with Dyslexia and other speech issues. There are numerous articles on her website with ideas for both articulation, blending, spelling, and all those other skills that go along with learning to read. One thing she emphasizes is copywork, which is consistent with how MFW teaches.

And here's another article that might be helpful, from the Apraxia-Kids website. It explains a little bit how the brain works with producing speech sounds, which Connie also mentioned: http://www.apraxia-kids.org/site/apps/n ... &ct=837215

mgardenh

Speech therapy

Unread post by mgardenh » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:30 pm

mikesherry wrote:Both of my children qualify for speech therapy now, we are with a public school homeschooling program, but next year I want to use MFW and homeschool on my own. I want to be able to work with the kids myself, but not being a professional, I worry...
Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:05 pm

We have an early intervention program in our state. They use a lot of people contractually. You could possibly contact an early intervention place in your state and see if one of there SLP's is able to do work on the side. Our insurance does not cover it either. Usually they are willing to do it for less then going to a company. But they have to be licensed to practice on there own (at least in our state).

You could also contact Diane Craft (you can look her up on line or if my sister will post her info here) There are other web sites out there too. I know Crystal from this board knows of some.

Also do you have an SLP in your church or other circles you could ask them for ideas of what to do with dc or if they would be able to help you out.

Mommy2SabrinaJeremy

Unread post by Mommy2SabrinaJeremy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:30 pm

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:02 pm

There are Scottish Rite clinics in many areas of the country that do speech therapy as their philanthropy free of charge. There is usually a waiting list (here in St. Louis it was about a year) but if there's one in your area it's worth looking into. Just look up scottish rite clinic online.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:32 pm

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:50 pm

Several ideas:
Are you considering becoming a member of Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA)? They have a special needs department that keeps on file various therapists in your area who work as consultants to homeschoolers who just need someone else to do the evaluation and/or help make monthly goals. Last time I knew, you have to call their office for someone in your area. I don't think they have it on the web.

There is a video out there called Straight Talk 1.
http://www.nathhan.com/straight.htm
I haven’t used that book because it was specific to targeting articulation. I needed language development more than artic issues. So I’ve used Straight Talk II. It was nice to have some goals and checklists and how to do a lot. I just decided to not go with it full time. It looks like the Straight Talk I has ways to help with scoring and keeping records. And you are used to watching a speech therapist work with your daughter and doing homework exercises, so it could be helpful. Maybe someone else who has used it might have real life experience with it.

And maybe Melinda Boring's company HeadsUpNow dot com would have some good stuff for you. You could contact her from info on her website. She sells some good stuff for speech.

-crystal

mikesherry

Unread post by mikesherry » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:35 pm

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:34 am

I talked to Lauren's speech therapist and we discussed what level she is at now and her therapist felt that I would be able to work with her on my own. She also willingly offered to evaluate quarterly each year to make sure that she is making good progress and give us materials to practice with. I am so thankful that she will take time out of her own schedule to help us with that! God really answered my prayer!

MJ in IL

Speech issues in kindergartener

Unread post by MJ in IL » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:23 am

Jami wrote:My 5 year old son has had speech therapy when he was 3-4 and finished being on the same level as his peers. He had LOTS of ear infections as a toddler and has always had problems with blends. He still has some issues and I'm not sure if they are still considered acceptable for his age.

While doing the first lesson "sun", he couldn't say some of the words on the cards (spoon, skunk, sweater...so blends basically). I've known that he doesn't talk as clearly as my older son but hearing him today repeat the same sounds, it made me realize the problem again. He knows his letters and can say the sound by itself or in a word without a blend. So what do I do when he says "foon" for "spoon" like he did today? I tried to get him to say it correctly but he couldn't get it unless he said s. poon. I don't want to spend too much time on correcting his speech, but then he's not even practicing the s sound if he says half the words wrong because they are blends.

I'm thinking print out some pictures that aren't blends for him to practice with? Just let him pronounce the words however he does until his speech gets better? Most lessons he probably won't have problems with as they can't be blends at the beginning of a word (m, l, etc) Any thoughts or similar situations?
I was trained as a SLP and have a Ker with a th/s so thought I'd chime in. If that is the only error and you are comfortable with it, I would just work on it at home with him.
So what do I do when he says "foon" for "spoon" like he did today? I tried to get him to say it correctly but he couldn't get it unless he said s. poon.
It sounds like he can do a "good /s/" Blends are more difficult. What we are doing (with a slightly different speech error) is to is to set aside a few minutes a couple times a day (1x during school and 1x with a book) to practice the "smiley /s/." She knows this is a time to concentrate on words and is starting to carryover the good sound at other times. She saw an "S" on a box and used her "good sound" to show Dad, but she doesn't use it in words at all yet. You could also easily make up some s-blend cards and practice them. We are saying "s - poon" here too and I see it as a stage working towards a good blend.

I guess I would try this and see how he responds. If you are not seeing much progress, I would go the eval. route. It sounds like you may have a resource for a follow-up with those who worked with him before.
Molly
dd14 enjoying AHL; ds12 & ds10 in RtR & dd5 working through K!
have done K (2X), 1 (2X), ECC, CtG, & 1850MT

tjkluse

Could I suggest looking at this from a different angle?

Unread post by tjkluse » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:35 pm

I'm no expert on speech problems, but can I suggest that you look at the intent of the lesson in a different way. With young children we generally teach by showing them something and then asking them to copy or repeat. In part we do that for reinforcement for them. BUT we also do it for us- It is the way we determine that they 'got it.'

Showing your son blends and asking him to repeat is a way for you to verify that he has made a brain connection that says, "Oh, I get it. When I see 'sp' I say /sp/" Just because your child can't say /sp/ doesn't mean that he doens't know what it looks/sounds like in print or when you say it. Nor, does it mean that he won't recognize the word spoon just because he can't say /sp/.

Does that make sense? I guess what I'm trying to say is that it might be helpful to recognize that an expressive limitation is not the same thing as a receptive limitation.

cbollin

Trouble with "R"

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:06 pm

Leah OH wrote:Is it normal for a 6 year old to have trouble saying "r" and making it's sound? I know there are some letters/sounds that are harder than others and come later, but my dd has trouble with mostly "r". She makes the sound for "w" more than anything. I just noticed it more this week since we are on that lesson in MFW K. I try not to make a big deal out of it with her because she seems to be bothered that I point it out too much. But I'm not sure if this is normal or if I need to be working with her more on it. What exercises work for this problem?
(I'm just a mom with kids in speech therapy..... I'm not a speech therapist though.)

For some 6 year olds it is still in the "normal" range of sound development to still say "w" for "r". It is one of the hardest sounds in the English language to develop and one of the last.

Unless there are other major articulation concerns, you probably don't need to run off for an eval or get speech therapy. Just do some play stuff for several months and keep an ear opener to hear improvement.

Here are some things I do. I'm sure they are other good things out there.

keep it cool and don't worry too much (I know.... hard not to worry when you're a mom.)
Have fun playing growling games by bearing a bear or lion and saying grrrrrrrrrrrrr while playing. You can over emphasize your mouth a bit. You can model and exaggerate your /r/ words while talking. anyway, my kids found it easier to learn /r/ at the end of a growl instead of /r/ at beginning. so, I practiced a lot with gggrrrrrrrrrrrr while playing bear and lion chase. Try to play in front of the mirror and just say things like "hey, let's try to make growly bear faces together" and that way your child isn't too embarrassed about it. some kids need that extra visual to see that the mouth moves in a very different position for /r/.

I've had 2 of my kids in speech and language therapy. Usually the therapists around here will work with a current patient on /r/ if they are 6 years old but don't necessarily start a new patient if the only thing is /r/ at age 6.

you might play around on starfall dot com on the R letter page.
http://www.starfall.com/n/level-k/letter-r/load.htm?f

-crystal

Posted Thu May 19, 2011 12:33 pm by cbollin
Here are some links in the link that others gave to speed it up.
tips for parents. http://www.speech-therapy-products.com/tips_R.php
http://mommyspeechtherapy.com/?p=1116
superduperinc.com will have lots of resources.
go to product search, look under their category of "articulation".

RachelT

Re: Trouble with "R"

Unread post by RachelT » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:36 pm

I have a kiddo in speech therapy, too! It's helped a lot. It seems like here locally they wouldn't do much about it until later in 1st gr. or 2nd (my son's in 2nd). Another good "rrr" word to play with is "vrrrrrroom" with cars. We used to do that. I totally agree with Crystal that I would just ask the speech therapist that you are already working with! Maybe it's no big deal. My son is very understandable, but still needed work on "r" and "th". Right now it's cute because he says the "r" sound now, but it is VERY exaggerated in every word. Like "Joy to the worrrld, the Lorrrd has come." Cute!

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

joy2BAMom

Unread post by joy2BAMom » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi, my daughter is in speech therapy. She will be 6 this Friday. I was told that the 'r' sound would be the last sound they work with her on. They told me it was normal for 6 year olds to still have trouble with that sound. Hope that helps.

Sherrie
Sherrie- wife to Jay for 10 years
Mom to 10 yo boy, 7 yo girl, 3 yo girl, and new baby on the way (due April Fool's Day 2011)

MNKristy

Unread post by MNKristy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:57 pm

I am a speech-language pathologist so I will confirm what everyone else has said, that yes, it is normal for a 6 year old to still have difficulty with /r/. It is one of the last sounds to develop and some children don't master it until age 9. If that is the only sound error, our district won't even begin therapy until that age.
Kristy

Wife to my DH of 22 years
Mom to Daughter, Kelly (living in her own apartment and attending college at the U of M), a 7th grader (Anthony) and 4th grader (Zack)
Doing MFW ECC and loving it!

Leah OH

Unread post by Leah OH » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:44 am

Thank you so much for all your responses! I feel so much better now knowing that she is within normal range for this letter sound. I will help her when she needs help, but will not worry about it at this time.

Thanks again!
Leah in NC, married to Jeremiah
MFW ECC with dd10
MFW ECC with ds8

Julie - Staff

Resources for help with speech

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Posted Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:58 am by cbollin

Laws vary from state to state on this. Many states have recently revised their laws so that they are no longer required to provide services for children who are not enrolled in their system (whether the kid is homeschooled or other private school.) It's a harsh reality that the public schools face --- too many kids in need and too few staff. sigh and getting off my soap box.....

I'd start with the pediatrician's office and ask for a recommendation for an evaluation to be done -- even if you have to use private services at a hospital clinic or other children's clinic in your area. The children's therapy clinic where my dd's go have various options for patients with no insurance or limited coverage with insurance. It can be done by the school system, but that's not the only source for it.

A speech language pathologist would be able to help you know if your child is just quiet and within normal ranges for her age, or if you need to do some other things. It could be as simple as gently letting her know to use her "just right voice" instead of her "too soft voice". And don't translate for her :-) (my youngest is in the middle of just right voice,as one of her language/speech goals.)

And my middle daughter is very quiet, but after 6 years of language therapies is within normal range limits.
(((hugs)))
-crystal

Posted Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:42 pm by RachelT

Hi there! We just went to the pediatrician to find out about more about speech therapy and occupational therapy. I know it's different everywhere, but so far we are going to try doing speech through the public school and OT through our hospital. Isn't it nice to receive advice from other parents who have already done this? I hope it encourages you to know that other homeschooling families are walking alongside you on this journey!

Have a great day!
Rachel

Posted Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:46 pm by Hmschooling

I have my ds in speech therapy right now. We went to a local children's therapy clinic (there are usually many speech therapists in any moderately sized town). His Ped. Dr. sent a referal for an evaluation, we had that done, he qualified as delayed in his speech and our insurance covers it 100%. This way, you can choose where you go and who you see. I'd say this route is the easier route unless you have no insurance...then you could get it free from the school system if they offer it. I did the same thing with my daughter starting long before she was even school age.

I will tell you that ds is almost 5 and most people can't understand a word he says. Sometimes, even WE can't understand him. Within a month of starting therapy, I see a HUGE difference. Many kids do "grow out" of it, but I think many are better off if we offer some sort of help. Otherwise, many of the foundational bits of their education may be more difficult to grasp...but, every child is different.

ETA: Just something our Speech Ther. has us doing that you could do...when ds says something that is unclear, we are to repeat it back to him very clearly without sounding like we're correcting him. i.e. He says "Dats a bid pwidy fower." I'd say, "You're right, that is a big pretty flower", very clearly. Or he says "Saint you", I might say "You're welcome, and thank you for thanking me...good manners!"...placing emphasis on the sounds/words that needed correcting

Posted Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:54 pm by joy2BAMom

My 5 year old dd was in need of speech therapy and I took her into our local university. They have a speech-path dept and they provide services for minimal fees. I paid $40 to have her evaluated and will pay $20 per month to have her seen 2-3 x's per week. She will be treated by senior level students who are over-seen by professors. I don't know if there are any options like that in your area.

It would ease your mind if you knew for sure what was going on. You may be worrying for nothing. Good luck!

Posted Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:59 pm by TracyLee01026

Jennifer, my 12 yo ds has been in speech therapy on and off since 3 years old. He started off in public school speech therapy and then at age 5 and ever since I have used speech therapy at local hospitals.

I found that the school was not very forthcoming with his treatment and progress, etc. and did not seem to want me involved. In short, I was treated like a hindrance. Not so in the hospital. I have attended all of his sessions and help him at home since I know what to do.

Also, HSLDA advised me not to go to the public schools for any help lest I get caught up in unnecessary legal entanglements. I always thought that was a little much until that is exactly what happened to a friend of mine. Her son went to speech at the public school for years. She then trusted them to do a lot of other testing on him, even after having it all done privately. In short, he is attending public school this year against her better judgement, but the superindendent told her he could not approve homeschooling after the results were in. Good reason to avoid the local public school. Just my opinion.

Posted Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:41 pm by mgardenh

What does the dentist say about the small mouth? Sometimes a dentist they can be of help?

You might want to check to see if there is something physically wrong. Your ped can prescribe a modified barium swallow test. Basically this is where they give her barium mixed with a food and have her eat and trace it from her mouth down to her stomach. (If you do the barium swallow test, ask you speech and language pathologist to go with you so they can see the test while performed and know what questions to ask, if the testing place will allow this).

It almost sounds like articulation problems. Not finishing the end sound? That's definitely a speach problem. Just some thoughts.

Posted Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:01 pm by HSmommi2mine

You pediatrician can refer you to an SLP or a facial specialist but he does not have the training to tell you if your child has a speech issue. He is not qualified to make a dx, only to say "perhaps there is a problem". Don't walk out of the Ped. office w/o a referral no matter what he says. He is there is dx the flu, not speech issues. Really. (Sorry to be bossy, this kind of thing is close to my heart)

~Christina (who spent 4 years in a speech therapist's office with her oldest)

krismoose

help with a speech problem??

Unread post by krismoose » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:52 am

BHelf wrote:Okay, so she's only 3 so it's not really a "problem" yet but I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. My current youngest says every word that begins with "f" as an /s/ sound. So, frog is srog and four is sore; etc etc. If we make the /f/ sound, she will repeat it correctly; however if we then follow up with saying a word beginning in "f", she will use the /s/ sound. So we will say: "/f/ /f/ frog" (sort of like the MFW K song, saying the sounds, not the letter f) and she'll say, "/f/ /f/ srog."

Any ideas on how we can work with her? Thanks! :)
Brooke
Hi Brooke,
I'm a certified speech-language therapist now raising and hsing my kids, and I worked with preschoolers when I was working outside the home...

It sounds like you're doing a good job of bringing the sound to her attention in a positive way. You're right that it's not really a problem at 3, but it's never to early to make her aware of the sounds and how they should sound in certain words. It's normal for her to not be able to imitate it correctly in a word even if she can imitate the sound correctly by itself - my 3yo dd does the same thing, "flying" sounds more like "hslying " :-) . Keep pointing the sound out and describe what your lips & teeth are doing in F. Back off if she gets frustrated, and be aware that F blends, like "frog" or "flap" may be harder to say than F followed by a vowel "funny" or "farm". Also, the presence of S, Z or SH sounds elsewhere in the word could make certain words harder to say, like "fast". I have a couple of websites to share if you'd like some other resources. Also, don't forget to pray ;) He is merciful and cares about every little detail in our lives :) It sounds like you're doing a great job! HTH :)
Kristen
Ds 7 (1st) Jumping into ADV after 14 units of HOD, Saxon Math 2, BJU Rdg 2, Cursive copywork, SWR, Lang Smarts B, Apol Astronomy, Vision Therapy
Dd 4.10 (PreK) Sing EM K, AAR pre-1, ARFH K, library books, Sp Therapy
Dd 1.10 Thinks she's 4! :eek:

marsha617

Re: help with a speech problem??

Unread post by marsha617 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:08 pm

My 3 year old did this for a couple of years. He turned 4 in April and I am now realizing he no longer pronounces words the way he once did. If your daughter appears to communicate well and prounounce most other words properly I would say keep doing what your doing and see what happens in the next several months. :)
Andrew 10
Nathan 8
Ryan 5
Josh 2
Yes, we have ALL boys. Life is fun and always interesting!
MFW since 2008; CTG this coming school yr.

carlamom2ansnm

Speech Question

Unread post by carlamom2ansnm » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:58 am

HeyChelle wrote:My youngest (4) still uses babytalk. Uh... I take partial blame. We let it go on too long. She is cute!, and she is my baby... I never 'allowed' the oldest 3 to baby talk. I confess; color me guilty. ;)

We have been correcting and instructing her on clear speech for a good 6 months now and she can speak fairly well when she chooses to, except those "S's". She sticks her tongue out past her teeth instead of keeping it behind those front teeth. And, of course, she is strong-willed. She will be starting A to Z in a couple weeks, so we will be working more consistently with her from now on. Espeically since "S" is up first in the curriculum.

The older three children were clear speakers from an early age, so I don't have experience here. Is this something that works itself out or should I seek out speech help? Technically, she wouldn't start public school for another year so I *think* she would qualify for speech help through the school district. But... not really sure I want to go that route and not sure it's even necessary. When do you "know" they need help?
My oldest had a lisp up through 1st grade. She was in ps and I asked her kindy teacher about it and she said that it's very common at that age. She said they wouldn't even do anything about it until after the permanent front teeth grow in because it's normally corrected at that point. Sure enough, it was gone shortly after that. My middle daughter (7) has it slightly right now as well.

With all of that being said, my youngest daughter (4) is currently in speech therapy through the school district despite only being 4 years old. Our schools have services for the little ones as well. You might try calling your local school district to see if they offer an evaluation and then you can find out for sure. If your school district doesn't offer it, then there are private speech pathologists, but it's normally quite a fee to get evaluated.

HeyChelle

Re: Speech Question

Unread post by HeyChelle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:14 am

Thank you so much for replying! It helps even to know that she's not the only one. I'll be working with her!
-michelle
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog