Special Needs - Ideas & experiences using MFW

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Paula J

Special needs family excited to return to MFW

Unread post by Paula J » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:34 pm

ccpeterson wrote:I have a 12 year old son (ADD, Dyslexia, Slow Learner), and also a 9 year old daughter who struggles as well.

We used Adventures 2 years ago, and LOVED it, but last school year we decided to take a break from everything except for Reading and Math. Unfortunately the kids didn't make much progress!

We are coming back to MFW this year and will be using ECC and are so excited to start. My kids learned a lot when doing MFW Adventures. And I love how it's all put together! Look forward to hearing from you! And....VERY happy to be back!
Charity
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:41 am
My oldest ds, 22 yo was diagnosed with moderate to severe autism and attended public school from preschool through graduation. Every year at his IEP meetings it was the same thing, your ds can't read, we are trying to get him to write his name, we are trying to get him to spell 3 letter words, same thing all the way through high school:-(

I kept telling them that I thought he had been reading since he was about 2. We would be in the city for Drs appts and he would be looking at the signs saying the name of the restaurant or whatever advertised, they said he just memorized logos. He would pick out vhs tapes without their cases from our bookshelf knowing which was which and would bring books to me and ask about a word he didn't understand and sure enough it was on the page he was looking at but still the teachers said he couldn't read.

Well, now ds has been home a few years and he spends alot of time on the computer. He types the things he is looking for into the search engine. He doesn't ask how to spell anything but 99 percent of the time he spells it right, we're talking even medical equipment and diseases. I have found my ds is extremely smart and wonder what could have been if I would have known about homeschooling then and followed my heart and kept him home even though everyone said what he needed was socialization. I applaud you for looking for the right programs to fit your children and urge you to never give up. Sometimes our children's talents are hidden inside but when they come out it is amazing!

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:35 pm

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:21 pm

Just wanted to chime in and say that special needs are a part of our family dynamics as well. Mild CP, sensory deficits and likely mild PDD in one child. Tourette, OCD and likely ODD in other. And some general ADD just to keep it challenging. ;)

MFW has worked well for us so far, given learning styles, teaching style, my own love for CM/classical/unit studies approach AND our special needs. We loved ECC and I hope and trust that you will too.

TriciaMR

ADHD, possibly HF autistic son and ECC

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:37 pm

6monkies wrote:sigh. we are on week 2 and my DS1 is just.....not seeming to learn anything. i mean, how can he? he bounces from thing to thing, tries desperately to escape the homeschool room, refuses to particpate when asked to answer anything (except a few math drill problems), and starts fights with his brother who, IMO, would maybe LEARN something if he were left alone, even though he is only in K. DS1 is almost 8, so he is fine to do ECC as far as age and grade go, but even though the boy reads at a 5th grade level, i just don't see how that's going to get him through. we're not doing ANYTHING right now except expecting him to stay in the room with us. dealing with him is like trying to pin down jello and it makes school time VERY stressful. i feel frantic trying to get ANYTHING into his or anyone else's head before he completely shuts down.
Do you have an exercise ball he could sit on and "bounce" while you do school or read?

For writing topics, do you have a table/desk that is tall enough where he could stand to do his work instead of sit?

Also, is the room "cool" - about 68 degrees? Andrew Pudewa spoke at our HS convention a few weeks ago, and men regulate "stress" by cooling down. So, if the room is too hot, it just stressing him more. (BTW, women are opposite, and regulate stress by heating up. Which is why in an office, generally speaking, the women want it warmer, and the men want it cooler. There are a few exceptions.)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: ADHD, possibly HF autistic son and ECC

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:53 pm

I love Trish's ideas. We've used the big ball since 3rd grade & still got it out on occasion in 7th.

We also have a chin-up bar in the living room doorway, where ds can "hang out" while he listens (excuse the bad pun).

Ds uses a clipboard for most of his mapwork & such, so he can be sprawled any old place or even go outside.

Ds types most of his actual writing.

My dh tells me that he fondly wished that he could have stood at a counter in school, and had a very hard time because his mind was outdoors. However, he's a smart guy & knows a lot :)

P.S. On occasion, I will ask my ds "what did I just say," because it's still hard for me to believe one can be moving & be attentive. He is always right on. A few times early on, I had him sit still. Then when I asked him what I had just read, he said, "I don't know, mom, because all I could think about was not moving."
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:55 pm

Stephanie,
ok. first (((hugs))). Nothing is "easy" with our special autie kids. My youngest is 7 and has PDD NOS. Nice to meet you.

The first two weeks of ECC can go over their heads. A lot of the information will be repeated again in each continent so they don't have to really fully understand all of it.

There is a great company out there for homeschoolers -- headsupnow.com
I'd recommend getting her website for some reading materials (maybe your library has some titles of books she carries?), and definitely her resources for teaching/learning with Sensory Integration disorders.

Check for Melinda Boring (headsupnow)'s homeschool workshops on Helping the Distractible Child. and the one on Sensory Processing. and her blog might have some fun entries once in a while too. Link is on her company website

Check the library for Out of Sync Child. (Carol Stock Kranowitz is the author) and the follow up book Out of Sync Child Has Fun.

I realize you're in the research and eval stage of it all. So much of it will be a learning time for you as well and there's so much more in those workshops and books than I can type and post and help with.

Depending a bit on his sensory needs, you might have to get a mini trampoline, or a bouncy ball or even gadgets to hold in his hand and squish around or something that his body is still moving even while trying to sit still and listen.

It doesn't change overnight.

I've changed teaching styles with my youngest. I've done things where I've taught the lessons to the distracted kid away from other kids and then just do hands on projects together. I wish I were supermom and some perfect person who could do it all in some homeschool ideal fantasy life, but get real! There are times that I have to teach very actively for my autism kid and just have the other kids helping me. First, I'll teach to the other kids, then I can do an even shorter version of the lesson with other kid. not ideal, is it? But then we can do projects together, well usually.

hang in there (((hugs))) just wanted you to know you're not alone.
-crystal

p.s. instead of dropping the room to 68 degrees (which might adversely affect the whole family), how about some nice cold drinks to sip for him? and a few peppermints in his mouth?

mamaofredheads

Unread post by mamaofredheads » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:56 pm

cbollin wrote: Check for Melinda Boring (headsupnow)'s homeschool workshops on Helping the Distractible Child
Agreeing with Crystal on HeadsUpNow. I have the 2 CDs on Helping the Distractible Child. They are very helpful. She also presents it with humor so you realize you're not the only one dealing with a child bouncing off the walls, :) and it's filled with practical solutions.

Hugs to you. I do understand!! A good quality fish oil helps too! :)
Glenna

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:02 pm

Sounds like some good ideas! I also tried to do almost all of our schoolwork in one room early on and then last year I created a schedule that had us doing different subjects in different parts of the house. This helped both me and my ds a lot. We also use a pillow from the couch on his chair when he is sitting at the table and that gives him enough cushion for slight movement in his seat and once we started doing that he could sit more easily.

Just some thoughts...

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

ilovemy4kids

14 yos and ECC -- help me decide

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:33 pm

club190 wrote:Here's my situation: I want to study geography with my 14 yos next term. Technically he'll be in 9th grade but with his LDs (dyslexia and its myriad issues) he's pretty much about two years behind his peers, really bright, but learning is a struggle, if YKWIM. Anyway, here are my concerns: (1) will he find the work in the 7/8 package (and perhaps the other items too) too easy? too difficult? right on? How have you modified this program for a child with challenges? (or have you even had to do that?) (2) redundanies -- yes, redundancies. We have a lot of books, for example, we have BJUP Earth science, all the Apologia books, A number of things from Geography Matters, and many literature selections. What in all that will be a repeat of the content I would get with ECC? but if I do that -- piece it together -- I have to write the lesson plan and I'd really rather not have to do that since I'm busy with a 4 yos too (BTW, our oldest son graduates from homeschool high school in a few weeks, has taken CC classes, and has been offered a big scholarship to a great college, so there is light at the end of the tunnel, folks, this homeschooling thing really does work!) (3) I've been thinking about going with SL5 the eastern hemisphere one, but I'd really rather it be true geography of the world that he study next term. We only did SL for one year, this past one, with this boy in question, and it was a disaster -- too much to read, too may things going on at once, too hard, when you get right down to it.

Can you help me decide?
Blessings,
Chris
Chris,
As both an MFW user and a SL user, I know what you mean about using SL with an LD child. It can be really, really, rough. The jumping from book to book to book can really confuse them. My son gets frustrated with finding lots of facts and answering the questions, just starting to get into it and then poof! It's time to move on. For him it feels very disjointed. Other parts of SL have been wonderful.

2 years ago we did ECC and it was the BEST! We LOVED it so much. It was our first year with MFW.

NOW...... we are deciding for next year. The choice for us has been hard also. Both programs are great. Each has it's strengths. We absolutely love the richness and content of Sonlight books. However, MFW has (in my opinion) a bit more of a traditional feel as far as making sure all the basic leaning skills are covered. No, I don't mean textbookish. I just mean that I think my son will be better prepared for the rigors of college.... ie actually writing his thoughts down etc... by MFW. I can add more reading to the MFW easier than I can add the other areas to SL. However for us it is a struggle due to finances. My husband lost his job, yet my husband is STILL trying to pull it together to get the missing parts of AHL for our son because he feels strongly about it.

Now that I've written a book, if you really want to do ECC and he wants to do ECC then why not? Are you able to just give him one extra year at home and do all 4 high school years? If not, then maybe just the first 3. Consider writing up an IEP if he has LD's. He's been entrusted to you and if you feel the ECC would be good, then go for it. We were richly blessed as a family by our ECC studies.

Wow, all of the above probably made no sense.
Sandra

Julie in MN

Re: 14 yos and ECC -- help me decide

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:20 am

I'm agreeing with Sandra that it sounds like ECC is what you're interested in and why not? My son is 14 and doing ECC as an 8th grader, and my oldest was 14 all through 8th grade, so I don't even think you need to think of it as "behind" in your situation.

ECC provides a solid framework of exposure to each continent and representative countries, exploring maps and languages and biomes and all things unique about a continent (including things like population and exports for the older kids). You also develop a concern for the needs of a country, read exciting mission stories (my ds LOVES the 7-8th grade missionary books), and pray for them.

From there, the field of learning is open. You can use literature selections in book basket or read chapters in the geography textbooks you own. (I enjoy maps & am showing ds every map I have around the house -- from terrain to areas of greatest population!) We're enjoying the chance to delve into areas of interest this time around in ECC. I'm sure as an experienced homeschooler, you'll have no shortage of things you'll enjoy delving into. You can also explore the ECC "Ideas" board for things other folks have found interesting. I've been adding some of my son's 8th grade interests there, too:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... =25#p58533

Enjoy!
Julie

club190

Unread post by club190 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:58 am

cbollin wrote:I’m curious on something you wrote and didn’t understand it. You wrote “I really like the fact that I can get all four high school years into 3 years doing MFW,” I didn’t understand what you mean. MFW has 4 years of high school; the 4th year is being written and should be piloted this coming year. It’s not a 3 year program for high school.

-crystal
Hi again,
Thanks for helping me sort this whole thing out in my head.

Let me clarify about getting the four high school years done in three years. I've been making a major pill of myself over at the MFW HQ. I've been talking to Brett quite a bit about how we can make this work for him. Brett says that he can do Ancients then World as planned then choose just two semesters of the American histories and either the government or the economics semester. That would essentially cut down on workload but still cover what needs to be done at a high school level in our state (PA, very intrusive, and that's why we won't pursue an official diagnosis for him).

If we work 45 weeks each year, he can do all four of the MFW high school programs, if he can do that much work, that is! Or we can follow Brett's idea and cut out two semesters, follow the lesson plans, and just call it good. He's a bright boy, but as with most dyslexics, he doesn't memorize things well, he thinks outside the box, and doesn't really catch any form of subtlety. I can accommodate his learning needs but I want to use a curriculum that isn't going to make me feel like I need to pressure him to get things done in a certain way or at a certain level. ToG was beautiful, I loved how it was very similar to what I had been writing for my oldest son all these years, but it was not a good fit at all for this boy. I sold it off in order to not exasperate him and to cut down on temptation for me to want to use it. (curriculum junkie, yes, that's me!)

I appreciate the help in sorting this whole thing out. I really do want to go for it! But I am reluctant still, I really don't know what it is that's holding me back. Maybe it's the fact that I'm going to have to find space to shelve all these books! Maybe it's not trusting that someone else's lesson plans can work for us without tweaking or worse yet, revising. Please help me decide and feel at peace with the whole thing.

Blessings,
Chris
Wife to Jim since '91
Mom to:
Matthew, 18, Ursinus College student
Andrew, 14, ECC 7/8 + a few extras to make it "official" for high school credit
Daniel, 5, wanting to "do school" but still not really ready

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:18 am

Ah, now I see what you meant about the 3 years thing. That makes a lot of sense. I just wasn’t sure you knew there was a 4th year in MFW. But you’ve been talking with them and have a plan to get it done. Go with Bret’s plan.

I will pray that God will give you the peace to move forward in MFW since it seems to be offering so much of what you are saying you want to do.

To help your struggling learner, he might benefit from having something like Cliff notes for books, or getting audio companions to read out loud to him while he reads along. (I know I do different strategies for my special learners, but they are younger than your son.)

The ECC jr. high supplement will have many country summary sheets. Those will be great for implementing all of those IEW units on outlining from single source (World Book) to have practice with writing good paragraph summaries each time.
Then, there is the “big” report in ECC that assumes multiple resources for research and doing all of the footnotes, bibliography, etc. If the country summary sheets each country get to be too much, you might find you need to let him do one country as an out loud report from notes, and then the next country as a written report. Both are good skills.

I’ve really enjoyed MFW’s lesson plans for us. I really like that it helps us to do the right amounts in a day and to stay on track. There is nothing wrong with using pre written lesson plans. Do it!

-crystal

club190

Unread post by club190 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:34 am

I guess you can hear the guilt I'm feeling about not wanting to write lesson plans! It's not like I don't think other people can write good lesson plans, it's just that I've always done it, always custom tailored our plans to our kids. I guess it could be compared to being used to wearing custom made clothing and then all of a sudden having to buy something off the rack at a regular chain department store. Maybe it will fit, maybe it will need to be hemmed, but maybe it pulls across the bustline and simply won't work at all. You'd have to go into the fitting room to really check it out.

Here's another question: One of the things Andrew struggles with is dictation. He can do narration pretty well now, just not a whole lot of it, usually about a chapter at a time, but he can't do dictation yet, especially when it's more than simple sentences. If there's anything complex, commas, dialog, longer words, forget it, he just shuts down. He's doing well with combining simple sentences into complex ones when he reads the simple sentences but hasn't progressed to being able to actually write them down yet. One of things that I keep hearing about MFW is that CM techniques are built into the lessons. I didn't see that in the sample I looked at though, just going by what I've read on the board. Can you explain how the TM incorporates CM techniques and to what degree?

Thanks again,
Chris

(P.S. See what I mean about making a pill of myself! There's always another question.)
Wife to Jim since '91
Mom to:

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:08 pm

club190 wrote: (P.S. See what I mean about making a pill of myself! There's always another question.)
You're fine!

For dictation and CM stuff... there are notes at the beginning and introduction of the MFW teachers' manuals for that. There are teaching notes in the manual for nature walk, narrations, some helps on dictation and such.

I know with my kids and my life -- I took dictation at the pace needed for the child. I can even remember in high school French class that my high school teacher would actually call out "comma" or "period" or "quote". So I do that with my kids if they need it.

Prior to doing a dictation practice in MFW stuff -- you'll have a day to copy it first (this would be with Bible memory verses)
then the day of dictation --you go over the stuff first so they see the punctuation,
you can always let a struggling speller have a word bank for very difficult words in the passage. If they were in an office setting, they'd pause the dictation machine and look it up. Or if they were on the phone taking a message -- they might ask the person "can you spell your name please?"

I was thinking about the Charlotte Mason thing a bit more and remembered a post I wrote a long time ago that they archived....
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 83&#p22883
Not sure how it plays out in high school -- when MFW gets more "classical" feel.... but that might help with the overall K-8th grade parts at least

-crystal

club190

Unread post by club190 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Just thought I'd let y'all know what I gave up on my idea to look over everything at CHAP and make my decision later on. Instead, I hit the "checkout" key last night and can't wait! Thanks for all your help deciding how this would work for us. I'm excited for the changes afoot in our home. (more on THAT later)

Blessings,
Chris

P.S. Box day is supposed to be on Thursday!
Wife to Jim since '91
Mom to:

Julie in MN

what should I add to ECC for 14 yos

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:47 pm

club190 wrote:Ok, maybe I'm having that dose of second-guessing myself after writing all those glowing things about my excitement for the new plan in our home. Should I add anything to ECC for my 14 yo son? Is it enough?

I admit that I like the way the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer pages from SL are laid out, maybe that's part of what's fueling this angst. Do I need them? Probably not. Could I add them anyway? Probably, I know that. But why I am torturing myself with this question at all!? Can you relate?

I like what we have bought. I think it will meet our child's needs. So why allow the question at all? I guess that's what I'm asking for here. With the other things I have in the house already, including all the great goodies in the Deluxe and 7/8 package, that should be enough. So why am I going over and over it in my mind? Maybe it's because CHAP is just under two weeks away and the annual parade of the homeschool catalogs has begun.

Blessings,
Chris
Chris,
My 14yo ds is doing ECC for the second time. It's going very well. I don't think you need to worry.

Take a look again at the sample country reports inside the ECC guide. Then look through the book for writing longer reports. Those kinds of writing will better prepare them for the future than worksheets. Plan a tour of your library. Maybe set up files on your computer for the country reports. Those would be good things to plan.

But if you like worksheets, have you spent time looking through World Geography? Last month, I spent an afternoon looking at about a million geography workbooks in a Mardel store. It was the first time I'd ever seen a Mardel's, and I was fascinated. Plus I was curious -- was there something new out there? Something better than the World Geography workbook? But honestly, I didn't find anything I liked better. Some of the workbooks I looked at were simplistic. Others had vague assignments. Often you'd have to purchase several in order to cover all of the continents. Most felt like random minutia compared to World Geography, which is organized so clearly. And it really covers many topics, from the physical features to the population characteristics. But it's set up in a clear progression, from continent to continent. And ECC 2nd edition schedules it all in for 8th graders.

I'm like you. I have some old Sonlight worksheets downstairs. I have the Around The World in 180 Days set. My poor older dd was overwhelmed by mom planning :~ My younger son is just doing ECC and enjoying the world. He can now beat both his parents in the ECC geography game - don't skip it ;) And I had forgotten how rich the Bible in ECC was, with Hero Tales, Window on the World, Kingdom Tales, and of course the Bible line-by-line, not to mention excellent missionary stories.

If you're antsy to look for treasures at convention, you might want to check out the ECC "Ideas" board for some games or literature or videos that might be fun additions. You might also hunt around your home for anything your family has regarding maps and countries -- each time we visit a new continent, I'm enjoying sharing books, music, games, pictures, stories, and gifts we've received over the years. My son will also look things up on the internet using tools like Google Earth.

So I personally don't think you need more worksheets, especially on just one hemisphere of the world. But each family will have a unique experience!
Julie

cbollin

Re: what should I add to ECC for 14 yos

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:55 am

what to add? Julie covered that. ;) do the research stuff, do the country summary sheets, do the longer report at the end of the year. read World Book.

what not to miss?

When it comes to the cooking projects -- let him do those on his own.

If you get an interest in cultural music -- find something at library. or find international online radio to listen. (ask if you need some hints. My oldest found something via the Rosetta Stone lesson plans)
and when we did ECC last year, we found this series of music at library. I have it linked to the Brazil music. but they have several in the series.
http://www.putumayo.com/en/putumayo_kid ... bum_id=249
(even though it is for kids, the music was good. I still find myself humming the song by Gui Tavares called "Pancada" We followed the link to the video. (this is my crazy little car, it gets me where I go)

oh, World Book -- play with the features on there for hearing music, and seeing pictures around the world. My oldest loved doing that.

you're doing something like God's World News or World Magazine, right? -- that's current events and reading comprehension. That's part of ecc jr high.
http://mfwbooks.com/lang_arts.htm#worldnews

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: what should I add to ECC for 14 yos

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:52 am

cbollin wrote:something like God's World News or World Magazine,
Oh, I forgot about that. My son is getting a lot out of GWN this year, and in ECC he files the articles in his notebook by continent.
Julie

Wonderobyn

Need encouragement K through High school

Unread post by Wonderobyn » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:08 pm

LSH in MS wrote:Help! I am overwhelmed thinking about this school year. My oldest will start AHL. I will have 3 in CTG (8th, 6th and 4th) and a Kindergartener. My 6th and 4th graders are dyslexic and dysgraphic so their language arts has to be done almost entirely with me. My 5 year old is showing signs of it as well so I am going to do an Orton Gillingham program with him. All of this is very time intensive. I don't want to shortchange my 8th grader who unfortunately doesn't like school and is not motivated to work diligently by himself. When I am with him, coaching him, he does well. Thankfully my 9th grader is very independent, and should do well with his schedule.

How am I supposed to be successful in all this? It seems impossible. Yet I know this is what I am supposed to be doing. I just feel stretched incredibly thin. My baby will be 7 months old when we start school.
Hi Lori,

Wow, that is a lot to think about and handle! I'm sorry, I don't have any experienced help for you since I only have one son (6 with autism) and this will be my first year homeschooling. I did just want to let you know I am saying a prayer for you right now. I know that God will supply all that you need as you rest in Him. May He give you strength, wisdom, encouragement and peace as you begin a new school year with so many challenges.

In Christ,
Joy =)
Joy married to Glenn for 20 yrs
DS 6 (autism) PS PK-K Currently MFW 1st

TriciaMR

Re: Need encouragement K through High school

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:55 pm

Lori,

First {hugs}. I get that overwhelmed feeling every year...

I have 2 that are mildly dyslexic. I feel your struggles. I have to be there for all Language Arts, and I still have to have her read to me daily to make sure she is getting the words. I even have to be there for math, as she reverses numbers (writes 21 for 12 and vice versa), too. (It would really hurt her attitude if I have her do the work all herself and then have to go back and fix after she's done than catch it as she is doing it. Though it is getting better.)

I finally decided to give up on the "school is done in 4 hours." It's just not possible for us at this stage in the journey. I just wanted to encourage you that it is a journey, not a race.

Some random "practical" thoughts, maybe... start your 8th grader 2 to 4 weeks before the rest. Work on him with his Science, Math, and Language Arts so he knows what is expected of him. Now, you'll still be there to follow up with him, but maybe those 2-4 weeks of getting into school will help him. Work with your K kid first in the day and "get it done." The 8th grader might have to do some school on Saturday (or later in the evenings with Dad?) in order to get it all in. Take each day as it comes.

You are not a failure. Don't try to do it in your own strength. "I can do all things through HIM who strengthens me." Or even "because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." He is with you every moment. He knew what your kids would be like. He knew you would homeschool. Trust HIM for the results.

Praying for you and your kids right now...

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:06 pm

LSH in MS wrote:. How am I supposed to be successful in all this?
What's your current way of defining being a "successful" homeschooler?

Then, maybe that will help to know how to achieve it?

I do not intend that as a snarky remark. I mean it with my heart. Sometimes I get just like you describe. I'm not good enough to use MFW because I'm not so and so on the speaking circuit, or such and such from mfw office.yada yada yada.. middle gal is time intensive with studies (she's slow to average) and then the autistic kid, and guess what? my teen has needs too -- she needs some parent time too.

so...
What would make the upcoming year successful for your family?

school done is 4 hours is not a measure of success. From everything I've listened to "the great david hazell" say over the years... that might apply to elementary years. In his house, that is when the parents had to go to work... 4 hours and that was it. Plus they did not have any special needs kids. did they? Never heard otherwise. so, you are not a failure in my eyes if you aren't done with your crew in 4 hours.
and...Some times their children worked longer. And in high school and jr. high..... MFW isn't designed as 4 hours.

Do you have other ways to incorporate OG methods in less time intensive ways with the 5 y.o?

Not sure what to say on the 8th grader... so I'll just end with a few hugs and agree with Trish's practical thoughts.

-crystal

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:37 pm

What is success? I need to really think about that and pray that God will show me what success looks like for this time in my life. In years past success was completing the teachers manual grid each day. I was able to do that consistently and felt that they were making good progress and we were accomplishing enough if we did that. This last year we weren't able to do it because of my pregnancy and dealing with the dyslexia. I didn't have the stamina to put in the long days of schooling last year. This year the load is even heavier because they are older and I am adding high school and the 5 yr old. I need to determine ahead of time what the priorities are for each child. If I look at that teacher's manual and see all the boxes that we haven't done I get so discouraged. Then I look around and see the house that is not clean and the paperwork piling up ( I am bookkeeper for my husband's business as well.)

The sermon I heard today was very good. The message was about Jesus' yoke being easy and his burden light. If you focus on the fact that you are plowing a field all day you are going to get worn out and discouraged but if you think on the abundant harvest that you are creating that will make a big difference. I don't think completing the TM grid is a realistic goal for me this year. But at this point, I'm not sure what it should be.

As far as the 5 yr old, he shouldn't take up much time. The 4th, 6th and 8th graders consume most of it.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:01 am

Aw, Lori, I'm glad your sermon spoke to you where you needed it. You are my hero and are doing way more than you realize with your life!

As for any practical suggestions, hmmm, maybe these?

- Start each group of kids during a different week.
- Spend the summer going through the manual and crossing things, such as the Deluxe and anything that one of your students doesn't need (my ds didn't need spelling for a long time, other kids read so much in their spare time that they don't need the reading box on the grid). Use a black marker if you need to.
- Make some goals for your 8th grader, and when you are worried, focus on those areas. They might be anything from obedience to writing skills, but don't try to work on everything with this child in one year.
- See if you can find someone else to do at least one thing alongside your 8th grader, whether it's dad or a sibling or a friend.
- I like "school hours" for success at my house, so everyone is doing school from maybe 8:30 to 2:30. I've also heard of timers being used within those hours, to help decide things like when you've expected too much or when your child has dawdled too much (and needs to finish after school hours).

Blessings as you hold your breath and jump into another year, trusting the Father is there beside you.
Julie

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:59 am

Thank you for all of the replies! You gave some helpful suggestions. One day at a time and only by His grace!
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

schelean

Unread post by schelean » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:15 am

Lori
Somewhere on this board I have read where some families have done the grid on a rotation. That means to set your school hours and work your way down the day. When the school day has ended timewise, then your school day is complete whether or not the items for the day are finished . The next day you just start at the next item in your grid and work from there until school hours are complete. That way you don't get to it all everyday but you do get to most every other day or so. This was explained by someone else on the board in a much better way. Maybe someone who actually does that can comment on how that works for them.
Blessings to you.
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:15 am

I am also glad to hear that your sermon spoke to your heart. Yes, focus on that abundant harvest! What a neat way to look at homeschooling:) You have received lots of practical suggestions, I really don't have anything to add to that. But, I just wanted to encourage you to persevere. You CAN do it, with the Lord's help. Don't worry so much about finishing the daily grid ( I know, easy to say) but try to focus on what the Lord has for your family that day. I'd venture to say that the Hazell's wrote the grid based on what the "average" family may be able to accomplish in a day. Heaven knows, most of us vary a degree to two from average:) The Lord may have a different priority for you this year, as long as it's done for His glory, you will be blessed.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17