Encouragement - Behind - Finding Peace and/or Catching Up

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
MelissaB

Re: Need advice on what to do....we are so behind

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi, Annie -
I would stop, regroup, and start fresh with the new curriculum in the fall, in everything except math.

I'm not one to skip anything. We try to be very diligent in our home. But sometimes life presents things that are out of our control. If a child gets sick while attending a school, the school requires them to make up very little, and they miss the rest. I understand that it was you that was sick and I understand the guilt you may be feeling. But I encourage you to look at what your children can do, put any guilt you may be carrying behind you - & start fresh with a new outlook, a new curriculum, and a new year. :)

May I offer two more suggestions? (They're just ideas! :) ) I would wrap up what I feel really needed to be completed, clean out the school cabinet (or whatever you use), go on a short summer break, and start my new school year a few weeks earlier than usual in the fall.

I'll say a prayer for you and your family. Hope this coming year is your best ever!
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:04 pm

We got a late start this last year due to a new baby born first of Sept. and the fact that I was on bedrest for a few weeks prior. We started about 3 weeks into Sept. We finished the Bible/History/vocab words of CTG this past week. We doubled up on those things for weeks 33-34 to get those done this last week. They also did math at night a couple of nights last week since our days were fuller getting the other finished up. My boys read Archimedes on their own and finished it a week early. They doubled up on that as well to finish early. We probably could have finished earlier but we had VBS and they have had 2 separate week-long summer camps.

We skipped some science projects (may do some in the summer) and a few projects (not many because we enjoyed doing them but some). We did do an abbreviated version of the Passover. We did the Seder plate and talked about the significance of each thing on the plate and tasted each thing. We will continue through the summer with math and LA. After my older two get back from camp at the end of this week, we will not have anything else on our plates for the summer. We will start everything (RTR) back about mid-Aug. I don't want to get in this "behind" state again if we can help it. Neither do my boys. They hate feeling behind and are willing to start back in Aug. to keep this from happening again (hopefully - barring any unforeseen problems). I am planning our new year's schedule - including days/weeks we will take off so as not to get burned out. Hopefully this will help us stay on track but yet give us some reprieve through the year.

Anyway, just letting you know that we have been behind this year as well, but that I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. We have worked hard and still have some work to do during the summer. My oldest may not finish Singapore before we start RTR in Aug. but I feel like it won't be long after and then he can move into Saxon sometime early fall. He may have to do some extra homework to get/stay caught up in math.

I'm just wondering what week you are on? I guess it would depend on what week you are on in CTG and how much time you can be home through the summer to devote to it whether or not you would be able to finish before starting RTR in the fall (if that is your goal). Like Julie said, I would set a list of priorities of what is the most important things for you to do/finish before starting RTR and then make those a priority.

Hope some of this helps.
Amy C.

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:25 pm

Julie in MN wrote:<hugs> and prayers.

Realize you can't do everything. None of us can do everything. Find God's peace with that. That's my prayer for you. And then dig in and decide what you will accomplish. I think doing fewer things and doing them well (**including recovering well**) creates good learning and good memories and good health.
Pray, prioritize, and find the grace to let some things go so that you don't lose the beauty and joy and learning in the rush of it all.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:08 pm

We went through something similar 6 weeks into my oldest K. I was already thinking he wasn't ready for school, at just turned 5, so we took the rest of the year off and started K after his just turned 6 Birthday. My youngest was diagnosed with serious medical problems at her 18 week ultrasound. Children's Hospital dominated the year. It has all worked out beautifully in the end. The supposed year lost, wasn't a year lost at all.

Prayers for the Lord's guidance and help and strength for this decision.

Blessings,

amelasky

Unread post by amelasky » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:13 am

I can't remember how to qoute this morning, so I'm going to try and answer the questions asked

We are only on week 22. I don't feel that much should be removed or condensed from the year. One of the things that we love about MFW is that all of the activities and assignments are so meaningful.

We have stopped Writting Strands, Spellimg Power, Rosetta stone, and our Typing activities already.

Looks like we will be removing all extra summer activities and spending some time indoors getting caught up. Considering the 105 degree weather we have been having, that's quite alright with me. There's just no way (barring a miracle) that I can see how we can start the school year off in September on schedule.
Annie
Married to my best friend and high school sweetheart for 18years. Blessed momma to my princess (14) and little warrior (10).
Exploration to 1850

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:16 am

amelasky wrote:There's just no way (barring a miracle) that I can see how we can start the school year off in September on schedule.
Annie,
I'm in total agreement that when you have a great program, why scrunch it or skip it. But do you feel you must start the new year in the fall?

I ask this because when we got behind (when dh was first sick and ds was in RTR), we just kept going the next fall. We ended up changing MFW programs at the semester break, end of January. We did this for several years and it was actually a nice winter change-up.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:45 am

Julie in MN wrote:I'm in total agreement that when you have a great program, why scrunch it or skip it. But do you feel you must start the new year in the fall?

I ask this because when we got behind (when dh was first sick and ds was in RTR), we just kept going the next fall. We ended up changing MFW programs at the semester break, end of January. We did this for several years and it was actually a nice winter change-up.
This is true. If you were to start back with CTG in the fall and then start your new year in RTR in January then you could still finish the 5 year cycle before your dd starts high school, right?

You could just continue on with their math and LA where they are but make the change in the history cycle in January and still stay on track for the 5-year history cycle. Plus you would not be scrimping and missing out on the richness of the material.

Do you think this would be a good option for you? Sounds like a good plan to me unless there is something I am not seeing or thinking of.

Amy C.

rebeccal2002

Unread post by rebeccal2002 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:36 pm

I think it's all in how you look at it. My oldest, if in public, would have just finished 5 grade. We're doing ECC and we are just starting the Middle East. (We started late Jan). Anyway, you're WAY ahead of us! :) We just had another baby (2 weeks old!) and so we'll probably fall further "behind." I love ECC and don't want to rush it, so I'm just having everyone keep up with their basics (math, spelling, reading, etc) and I'm throwing in ECC as able. Plus I'm trying to keep up the 1st grade stuff so my beginning reader doesn't lose what he's learned so far! We school all year around and take breaks when needed for summer activities, etc. I know what you mean though, it's hard when things beyond your control keep you from school. I'd suggest to just keep plodding along. It will work out in the end. :)

Rebecca
HS'ing since 2006, MFW since 01/2011 :)
2015/16: ECC (2nd time around w/ 3rd, 6th and 8.5 grader), WHL (10th). Also 2nd half of K and 1st for 6 year old.

Finished K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850, 1850-MOD, AHL

and 4 year old helping!

asheslawson

Maybe this will encourage??? Regarding organizing your day.

Unread post by asheslawson » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:35 pm

I just wanted to put in a comment about organizing your day. I truly thought I was a very organized person at first when I decided to home school - though I knew I had much to learn and would make mistakes. I honestly had no idea of how many times I would feel like I just couldn't get it together and would feel overwhelmed. I have learned many things - and still have so much more to learn. However - I just thought I'd post this to encourage anyone who may be starting to feel like they aren't getting it all done well.

On top of that - this time last year and the year before I was feeling panicked about my curriculum choices and reading review after review to decide if I was sure I was choosing what was best for our family. There was so much wasted energy in that, for me, and it left me feeling the whole 'grass is greener' scenario and just un-satisfied. Every time - the recommends for MFW have really worked for us - though other curriculum choices would work too - I can trust the experience behind the books MFW has selected and rely on help, via the message board, from other mom's using the curriculum when I do have a question.

Last year at this time - I had fallen weeks behind with ECC, but I was keeping up with K. I had taken on too many extracurricular activities and didn't know what I wanted to drop because I enjoyed it, felt guilty, or even just hated to tell my kids something had to give. My school day often got started to late in the day and left us feeling frantic and rushed. Sometimes I threw in the towel and just turned one week into two because there was just no way to get it all finished by Friday after we'd fallen so behind.

This year - sometimes we haven't finished everything I wanted to - but we have stayed on track. It's taken me until now to truly realize that, for us, we do better if we rise early, do breakfast and morning chores, and begin school by 8:00 or 9:00 a.m. This could be different for everyone, but since I babysit toddlers, watch kids after school, and tutor - we need that break from school and a little down time before the tots wake up and the after school kids arrive. We always tried to start early - but I was so bad at letting things get in the way - and then we'd be rushing to finish school before the school bus dropped off kids.

I just wanted to encourage anyone that may be feeling overwhelmed... because over time I have gotten better at organizing my day, figuring out what works and what doesn't, and prioritizing. I've dropped a number of activities that I thought I'd miss, or my kids would hate to not do, but we LOVE having our family time back. Our bible study time has been much more special and engaging and we've been able to relax and discuss the things that I feel are truly important. Over time God has really worked on me and our family life and our home school are so much better because of Him. I am praying today for anyone who is feeling this frustration right now - I remember being there and I know that I will have many more valleys to experience, but for now - I am grateful for the peace He has allowed for us.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

HeyChelle

If you like to finish in late May/Early June.....

Unread post by HeyChelle » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:37 am

Wendy B. wrote:....what week are you starting today?

We have been having the "Terrible, Horrible, No Good,Very Bad School Year", and I am feeling hopelessly behind.
Wish I could give you a hug! We have BTDT.

We are starting week 19 of CTG this week - (but we are only doing minimal Bible study + all their independent work because we are moving this week.)
Pray about it, pick your ending week, then count your weeks backwards to see if it's possible to catch up. Or just start where you are and move forward. Pray first and you will find what you need to do. :)
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

schelean

Re: If you like to finish in late May/Early June.....

Unread post by schelean » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 am

Wendy
We are about to begin week 14 of Exp. - 1850. We started the first week of August 2012. Are we behind? I choose to say no we are not behind. Will we be finished by the end of March so that we can have our very busy April off? No we will not even come close. I have decided that is just fine. It has taken me many years to finally come to a place in our home schooling to be okay with not staying on the grid schedule. I have spent several years in a state of stress trying to make sure we finish the weekly grid on time. God began showing me through his Word, friends, and other avenues that we I DO NOT have to finish a level in MFW within 9 months. It is more important that I tend to the life that is given to me daily and not stress our school day out just so I can say the grid is finished.

This is the first year I have not been at least halfway through the TM by mid January. It is the best year we have had so far. I am making sure the basics get done daily - or at least mostly daily ;) We are taking more time to enjoy the history, the crafts, the foods, the activities. We are taking more time to enjoy the science experiments. We are more purposeful in the field trips we take. We are enjoying the addition of a grand child in our family. We are celebrating my sweet dds6 learning to read. We are enjoying the activities of MFW K. Dd11 is really enjoying being a part of some of his K - she actually doesn't remember doing much of it back then. She probably doesn't remember doing much of it because I was so rushed to make sure we finished the week. I didn't take the time to play and have fun with school while she was in K. We are are ALL enjoying a fun K with ds6.

I can't see your signature line from this screen view but I am thinking I saw you were in CtG. Can I just encourage you to enjoy the rest of the weeks you have planned for school? When it is time for your family to break for summer - then just do it! Pick up where you left off when you return from summer fun. Or just do a few days/week in the summer - or not. Do the daily basics and take the history and science as you get to it in the manual. Pray about where God wants you and your kids right now. He will show you. Pray about any changes you may need to make in your daily schedule so that school is planned and doesn't by chance happen.

Don't stress about where you are in the grid! January is a great time to reevaluate and make necessary changes (if any) to your daily life. Enjoy your kids. Enjoy learning about the Jewish festivals. You won't regret it!
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:43 am

We are on week 18 of Exp1850. I hope to finish end of May, but I never know what life will throw at us. This is the first year of homeschooling in a long time (since probably K and 1st grade) that we are on schedule to finish end of May, but again, only the Lord knows the future. Hopefully we will stay on track. I don't know where you are, but I agree with both Chelle and Schelean to pray. Ask God for wisdom. He will give it. James 1:5.

Don't know if this is applicable to you and your family, but my oldest just ask me the other day if we could school during the summer when it is so hot and take some time off in the winter. He has become interested in hunting and trapping and would like to have more time for that. My second son agreed. We just about have to take June off because of camps and VBS and such, but could school July and August and then take some time off when the weather is cooler. Maybe changing up your school year schedule a bit would help. I don't know. Just throwing that out as a suggestion. I was about to sign off and thought about it so I thought I would share that.

Of course, like Schelean suggested, you could break when you needed to and then start back up where you left off and just keep going until you finish. She had lots of good advice and encouragement.

Amy C.

schelean

Unread post by schelean » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Amy I completely agree about schooling during the hot months. That is one reason we start at the beginning of August. The Texas heat is rough. I have even been known to start in July just so that we can have April and May out. Those are the nice months in Texas. I know we will pick back up early July this year. Great suggestion Amy!
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:19 pm

Wendy,

I've had years like that. {Hugs}

A little secret: We've never completely finished a T.M. (Shhhh... Don't tell!)

Our state requires 172 school days. Some years, field trips have been 10 school days worth. Other years, well, I like our "light day" to be on Wednesday, so I'll have days where we just do Language Arts, Handwriting, Math, Spanish, and Piano and don't do any MFW in order to get our days to line up right. One year (due to much sickness), that meant we had about 4 weeks left of the TM even though I officially finished our 172 days! So, what I did was spend about 2 weeks just doing the Bible, History and Science and let the kids take a break from the rest. (We do Spelling, Reading, Math Drill & Math year round here, due to dyslexia). So, I did "finish" it, just not in traditional methods.

You'll also find there is a little overlap between CTG and RTR, so if you don't "finish" those last couple of weeks of CTG... No biggie.

Or, you can end when you get to May 31, and then take a break and finish CTG in the fall and start RTR when you finish CTG. Whatever suits your fancy.

(And just FYI, we are on Week 17 in 1850MOD, and I think I need until the last week in May to get to our required 172 days. But, seeing as how the kids are enjoying the occasional ski day, it might take us until mid-June to do that. And believe me, I had one year that it took us to the end of June (yes you read that right!) just to get our 172 days because of sickness. So, don't feel bad to stop and pick up, or just "call it good.")
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Thank you for the words of encouragement!

We started CtG in June, and we are only on week 19. In a typical year, we take a long break sometime in April or May which means I think that I should be in at least week 25. It is good to know that we are still on target for completion late May/early June if I do not follow our usual year round type of schedule. I am used to having a great deal of flexibility in our school year but unfortunately last fall we flexed more than we schooled. 8[] I have been following a year round flexible schedule for years and years. Looking at the front-end of a typical school schedule for the next 5 months seems a little daunting!
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:02 pm

We follow public school calendars, and in Minnesota that means starting after Labor Day and ending in early June.

The semester change doesn't happen until the end of January or early February. That means about 17 weeks in ECC.

Most folks seem to feel intuitively like they should be halfway done in December. I like to take a little pressure off by reminding folks that isn't the case in public schools -- this year our semester break was January 23 and if we followed the school district we actually live in, the next semester would start January 29. And in both cases, there is still a week off for spring break coming up, and a couple of other days off like President's Day and Memorial Day.

Also, public school days include things like a day of skiing and other field trips, since those are considered educational, too.

Julie

castelluzzo99

Unread post by castelluzzo99 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Okay, so I'm no expert (I'm less than a month into my first year of homeschooling my kids). However, I was homeschooled 12 grades, and I have followed homeschool blogs and listened to various people hash out different philosophies about homeschooling, and here is my take on the subject:

In a nutshell, I don't see why we have to follow the world's way of educating, in any way, really. Sure, our kids need to learn about the 3 R's, and in most states, they are required to learn certain things by a certain age, and there's no reason to keep them from learning those things. However, the whole grade thing is rather arbitrary. Have you ever read the Little House on the Prairie series? Children were placed when they entered school at the level they had achieved. And they didn't have a certain number of school days. Planting and harvesting often interrupted school--at least for individuals, and often for the whole school. School ended earlier and started later than it does today. But today, kids don't have a farm to help out on; they aren't an asset to the family (unless you are Amish, of course--which you probably aren't if you are on this board!).

So far, I think MFW is a great program. I'm doing K with my oldest, who turned six last October. She's loving it. We started right after the New Year, and we're going pretty fast (we're half way through Unit 3 already). However, today she's sick, so I'm guessing we probably won't get anything done today. That's fine. There's always tomorrow or next week!

But as I try to figure out how we're going to do things, I think I'm not going to worry about grade levels too much. For the sake of the school district and anyone else who asks, we'll put a label on their education level (I say they because I have 3 kids so far, though the other two aren't ready for school yet). But as far as I'm concerned, we'll just do what we can do and let the rest slide. I kind of figure we'll just do 1 or 2 lessons whenever we can until we finish, whether that's in May or August or whenever. Then we'll start first grade and do the same thing. Once we get to the family cycle, I'll just do the combined curriculum together, and then do the other things like math and such at whatever level they are comfortable with and as fast as they want or as slow as they need. I don't see a reason to keep all subjects at the same grade level. And if a child is bright and wants to skip a grade, we'll actually consider it. Because when I was in school (homeschooled), I started at 7.5 (birthday's in December) and graduated at 19.5. That was just too old to be finishing high school! My husband started school a younger than I did, did one grade during the summer (3rd or 4th), and graduated at age 17.

I mean, if they aren't in a one-grade classroom, then there's not such an issue with whether they are the same age as the other classmates, is there?

I guess the point of all that is to just relax and do what you can do. If you think you can get it done without losing your sanity, go for it. But if you find yourself getting stressed, skip some things, or just don't worry about it. :)

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:23 pm

Julie- That is a good perspective to keep in mind. I am so removed from a typical school calendar that I really needed that reminder. Thanks!

castelluzzo99- I do hear what you are saying. However, for me, I need a plan to keep moving forward. Without a plan, the whole schedule falls apart like it did last fall and we do not move forward at all. My plan is to do 9 weeks of school every 13 calendar weeks. This allows a lot of flexibility for unplanned visits from grandma, sickness, fieldtrip, enjoying the random beautiful day, etc. Between September and December, I lost 6 weeks of school time. Part of this was justified when my son broke both of his arms. However, the other half was me not keeping on track. Or getting side tracked. A big part of our " Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad School Year" is my own laziness, and I need to own that part of it.

Looking at the public school calendar was helpful. I now have a plan that includes a week off for the eldest son's wedding in May and another week off for a grandma's visit in March. I can still wrap up CtG by June but I must prioritize schooltime and be accountable for days that we miss.

Thank you all for the feedback!
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 am

That sounds like a plan, Wendy. I know what you are saying. I had originally planned this year so that we would be able to take a week off every so often, but "somehow" we are now down to the last half of the year with no (or very little) time off to spare if we want to finish end of May. I really like to be done then because summer camps start end of May and run through June plus other activities in June, and then we are usually ready for some summer fun. Somewhere along the way we lost those "extra" weeks I had originally planned and we have not had sickness this school year. Praying we don't. Anyway, I know we lost some days doing coop classes in the fall. We will be doing those again in the spring. So, if we are to get done by end of May, we will have to work hard at staying on task and not getting sidetracked. Hopefully we can do it! Praying for us both!

Amy C.

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:30 pm

We are on unit 16, day 3 in MFWK. Our goal is to finish May 17 but finish as late as June 7th would be fine. So long as we finish by the time dss is out for summer break. We're planning to start mfw1st in mid August, but schooling through summer might happen. It's hot in summer where we live too, so from about 10:30 to 4:30 it's too hot to be outside. Plenty if time to get about 3 hours of school a day in and still have lunch / nap for kids. Might have a smer schedule like this:
M-th: 8: wake up, get dressed, make beds, eat breakfast
9-10-motherhood fitness class (kids play at park / ride scooters)
10:30-12: school time
12-12:30: lunch
12:30-2: school time
2-3:30: nap
3:30-4:30: snack, get dressed for swim lessons, get to pool
4:30-6: swim lessons and water play at aquatic center
6-8: outside play for kids, chores make dinner for me
8-10: dinner, 3b's (bath, bed, book), quality time

F-Su: go places, less structure
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

Julie in MN

I wish we could do more, but we just can't

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:56 am

Mom2theteam wrote:I'm feeling a bit sad right now. We are doing Adv with my 2nd grader and K with my K'ers...with all 3, plus my 3 year olds tagging along with each other where appropriate. My intention was to do all of Adv, all phonics and math in K and some of the science topics with a focus on mostly getting good books to read about the science topics and doing the easier projects...oh and most of Bible in both because I want to do the words to remember in K again because they are so good and of course we want the Bible in Adv. The only thing we might not do is some of the Bible projects in one or the other.

Well, we are in week 4-5 in Adv and unit 7 of K. Reality is I have 6 children 7 and under and getting any school done is very hard. We can't do it all. I've always felt that outside of Bible, because that is always priority 1, the most important thing in K and 1st is phonics with math being a close second and everything else being gravy. With that in mind, we are scrapping the science in K. :( We just can't get to it and trying is causing me stress and guilt. I will look forward to going through it again in 2 years and then again 2 years from then. I have plenty of time and children to go through the fun parts later and the current K'ers have plenty of time to learn science. But, I'm sad to admit defeat. They do get some science with 2nd.

We will continue to do what we can of the Bible portion and definitely focus on the words to remember, but might not do any Bible projects other than the badges, which we are doing and putting on our wall each week/unit.

I love my children, but this is a tough season of life, especially trying to HS them. I need to let go and relax even more than I already do. I need to trust God and pray more. I need to follow His leadings....don't try to do so much...focus on instilling Biblical character, which is our number 1 reason for HS'ing in the first place, and focus on basics. We have time for the rest. Everything will be fine if they don't get it all now. But, I wish we could do more.....

Thanks for "listening."
Aw, Heather, <hugs> to you. We all wish we could do more. Your children are learning a TON about character, leadership, and teamwork that could never be reproduced in a text.

Whenever you feel sad about missing some of MFW, think of my kids. All of them were in public school at *least* for K-2. Poor things LOL! It wasn't all bad, but it wasn't always pretty -- I could tell you some stories when you get sad.

At the end of the day, I think there are few things to lose sleep over. Love your kids, teach them the way they should go, help them communicate well daily, and add preparation for a life of productive service slowly as you go, sometimes just as a mom who's read and thought about the lessons, leading your children toward getting serious about it in about 6th grade ;)

Julie

unitlovinmama

Re: I wish we could do more, but we just can't

Unread post by unitlovinmama » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:30 am

Aw, I understand the sadness of not doing it all because it is so wonderful and fun, but what you do get to do can be wonderful and include the whole family. I'll be doing K with my youngest next year, but I'm in no hurry to get her schooled. She learns much just by tagging along with what the older two children do, I read to her a lot, give her a place to color and play with Play Dough etc. while I'm working with the older two, and just let her be little. The younger ones are learning even without formal instruction. A friend of mine has a little one the same age as my youngest plus two olders and is planning tons of lapbooks and activities based on Five in a Row and I just have no desire and feel no need or call to do that right now. The Lord will direct your path and give you peace. Already I wish I could turn back time and just have enjoyed the early years with my first two more, instead of pushing school, and they are only 10 and 8. Hope you find peace and joy in this season!
-Stephanie, HSing for 5 yrs, first year with MFW 2012-1013 (ECC).
Wife of 12 yrs, mama to three crazy but amazing kids (9, 7, and 3)
"May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us..." Psalm 90:17

yvonneh

Unread post by yvonneh » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:55 am

Hugs to you, Heather. I only have 3 children and I didn't even consider homeschooling until I'd exhausted all other options. You are one of my heroes just because you ARE homeschooling! I know what you mean about the guilt factor. I'm trying to tell myself before I even begin that it's okay not to get everything done in the exact way it's listed. I know that I will struggle with guilt if it doesn't, but I really feel that's from the enemy trying to discourage and derail us. If I lived by you, I'd totally help you out. Twin 3-year-olds -- I think I'd be in the looney bin! it takes absolutely all of my strength and patience to deal with my ONE 3-year-old, and most days I am not successful in holding onto the patience. Thankfully, my oldest is 9 and she gets it a little more. She knows when I'm about to blow my top, and she'll help play with her sisters or help me out from time to time, which is nice. Will pray for you and your year. :)
Yvonne
wife to Pete since 2002
born again believer since 2005
mom to 3 dd:
--elizabeth, 9
--abigail, 6
--faith, 3
ECC 2013-2014
Learning God's Story (1st) 2013-2014

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:13 am

I have never "done it all" in the five years we have used MFW. I always feel guilty too. But guess what, my kids learned tons anyway! So take heart, be encouraged.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks everyone! I've taken to not even reading the science sections of the manual for K. That is helping me not feel like we are missing anything.

Thanks for encouraging me. I'm feeling better about it now...and slightly less stressed since we are trying to do less.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along