Encouragement - *Homeschool Funnies

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Jill S

Encouragement - *Homeschool Funnies

Unread post by Jill S » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:15 pm

I must be a homeschooling mom...

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:16 pm

My dh and I just returned from Cali, Colombia, where we adopted our seventh child. (I probably need to update my profile, huh?) While there, we were able to visit the Cali zoo, a wonderful place in the middle of the rainforest.

As we walked around and I was naming unusual animals right and left, my husband finally said, "Homeschooling, right?" LOL

I thought some of you who had been through ECC would appreciate this! I only wish I had brought my ECC graduates with me! They would have known even more than me!! But no telling how smart I'll be by the time I teach through seven children...

Vera, 8, Russia, Down Syndrome
Anna, 7--MFW1
Emma, 6, Down Syndrome
Ella, 3, Colombia, Down Syndrome
Mom to Alex, 12, Russia--RtR
Luke, 12--RtR
Song, 9, China--RtR
Vera, 8, Russia, Down Syndrome
Anna, 7--MFW1
Emma, 6, Down Syndrome
Ella, 3, Colombia, Down Syndrome

4Truth

Don't tell anyone!

Unread post by 4Truth » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:21 pm

kellybell wrote:Don't worry about YOU being weak in an area. To the best you can, learn along with dc. It's an adventure. Hey, I thought Nicaraugua was in Africa when we started ECC. DON'T TELL ANYONE THAT I SAID THAT.
Nicaragua's not in Africa?

Where is it?

(Sitting here thinking we really need to do ECC!)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:29 pm

Donna and Kelly,

Don't feel too badly.
This reminds me of the door to door salesman from yesterday. He is from England. Apparently at one house he visited here in my town someone actually told him that his English was really good for an international student.

:thud:

-crystal

RachelT

Back-to-school changes

Unread post by RachelT » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:22 pm

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:44 am

Last week we were swimming with friends and I was asking about their new teachers and back to school night at their ps. A couple of moms were telling me who their children's teachers are and my son popped up out of the water and said my teacher is "Mrs. Rachel"! And we all laughed and then my friend said "Oh, I heard that Mrs. Rachel is a really good teacher, I think you will like having her". Now, he doesn't call me that when we're doing school work, but it was really cute!! I think he is more at ease with us having school at home and I think he is beginning to appreciate it just a little bit, because he's told me twice that he's glad that he has school at home with me! Hopefully this will stick, because this is a real attitude change for the better!

Anyway, I'm "Mrs. Rachel"! ;)

angelsoup

Encouragement - Homeschool Funnies

Unread post by angelsoup » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:05 pm

I was telling my boys they needed to do the bible verse dictation. My oldest groaned and my youngest said "Sorry darling, mom is being unreasonable." Complete with the Hollywood 1940's voice. We all dissolved into laughter and got on with the dictation.

I don't know about you, but some days I need things like this to happen. Any other funny stories out there?
Debra
Mom to William (13) and Joshua (11)
MFW Adventures '06-'07
ECC '07-'08
Back to the Basics '08-'09
CtoG '09-'10

lyntley

Unread post by lyntley » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Last year The kiddies and I were outside. I was enjoying a book and they were playing in the yard. I looked up as I heard them shouting and vilolently shooting the garbage cans with sticks. I simply said, "I certainly hope those are bears that you are shooting to protect yourselves." DD turned around in reply,"Mommy, we're in the civil war..."
Lynnette: Wife and Mother by the will of God.
ECC 07/08 with 9,7, and 2
CTG 08/09 with 10,8, and 3
www.homeschoolblogger.com/lyntley

JenniferF

Wanted to share-- My 3rd grader's PLL today

Unread post by JenniferF » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:03 pm

Today we did the PLL #100 or 101 assignments on Conversation. It asks to write a conversation in the same style as the lesson before between the hummingbird and butterfly. I knew she wouldn't want to write about the rabbit and squirrel as it asks so I was letting her choose 2 animals or people to write about. I had her set the timer for 20 minutes and she went to work-- she often complains about having to write things, gets frustrated easily, and has been doing vision therapy to help her eyes work better together with writing and copywork etc. Anyway, enough babbling from mom....I asked DD if I could share this with you.

Who Will Rule?

Boys: Boys Rule, Girls drool!
Girls: girls Rule Boys Drool!
Boys: Boys Rule girls Drool!
girls: girls Rule Boys Drool!
Katie: we are even!
Boys: no! no! no! Boys DO Rule girls DO drool!
girls: no! no! no! girls DO Rule Boys Do Drool!!
Katie: But God made man and woman-- even!
Boys OK!! OK!! You win!! God did make it so man and woman were even.

Thank you!

The end.

by Katie

Renai

Another Adv. moment. Or, we obviously watch too much soccer

Unread post by Renai » Fri May 23, 2008 1:26 pm

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Hey all!

So, I'm reading the facts on the back of the Illinois sheet. I get to the part where it reads, "The great Chicago fire..."

Whereupon, I get interrupted by dd, "Oh, you mean Chicago Fire! That's the soccer team Cuahtemoc Blanco (Mexican soccer star) plays on now! Wow!"

No, dear, this was a real fire, a long time ago. Nice catch, though, lol.

Renai
cbollin wrote:it does all connect! It was the Great Chicago Fire that inspired the name of the team. Here's from their website:

"It all began with a legend. On the 126th anniversary of the Great Chicago Fire, October 8, 1997, an announcement was made. The new Major League Soccer team assigned to Chicago would be called the Chicago Fire. Its inaugural season would be in 1998."

Cyndi (AZ)

"Homeschool Rocks" dvd comment ;-)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:43 am

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:52 pm

I just had to LOL yesterday when my dd asked if she could watch the "homeschool rocks" video (School House Rock). I thought that was the cutest comment!

She was really into the America Rock songs, then I found her later with an old book of hers with the story of Paul Revere. She hollered, "I get it! Mom! This is like it's about America's birthday!" So cool for all that to happen right before the Fourth of July. Don't you love it when your dc put something together in their brains and get so excited about it? I love seeing those lightbulb moments. I'm so thrilled that we're going to studying America next school year. I just love MFW - it's because of them that homeschool rocks! :-)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

JohnsWife

The dog ate it

Unread post by JohnsWife » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:25 pm

We made our sundial the first time and marked on it each hour. Then I threw out my back and my sweet little girls were going outside by themselves to check it and mark it. Well they messed it up some but I was so very proud of them.

So, we tried it another day to see how the times matched up and the dog ate it!!! Grrrr.

The third time, we had about 9 hour markings on it and we were going to check it again the next day to see if the times lined up. The dog ate it again. This dog eats everything we leave outside!!! He ate our bread/honey experiment too.

We finally chained him up long enough to attract some insects to the bread but man.... this dog is gonna be my undoing!
TriciaMR wrote:An excuse you can even use in home schooling - "The dog ate my homework." Now how cool is that! LOL! ;)

-Trish
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it. -- C.S. Lewis

TriciaMR

Funny ECC Story...

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:14 pm

So, today was Week 2, Day 5 for us. One of the geography activities was to hide a "treasure" in the backyard or neighborhood, and make a treasure hunter's map to go find it. So, yesterday, I made the map of our backyard. This morning, at about 6:30, I made our treasure - a ziploc bag of pretzels and dairy-free chocolate chips - and hid it in a bush that had really wimpy branches.

Well, dd finally figures out that it's a map of the backyard, and heads off to find the treasure. She found it - ripped open and half-eaten by the neighborhood squirrels! You could see the claw marks on the bag where it was ripped.

A quick trip to the dollar store would have been better than using food for our treasure.

-Trish

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:52 am

Actually, she wasn't upset (which I was surprised by). It was right before morning snack, so I just made her another bag (thank goodness I didn't use all the chocolate chips in the first bag).

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

HSmommi2mine

Tho boy who doesn't like school

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:03 pm

David doesn't like school. No matter what I do he is basically offended that anything is required of him and all things "school" are considered bad.

We are doing R2R. He just finished "The Bronze bow" and now he is reading "twice freed". He likes them! I have yet to tell him they are "school" books.

I wonder when I should break the news to him?
Cyndi (WA) wrote:I'd say at about age 18. ;-)
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

Toni@homezcool4us

A Sabbath celebration funny (CTG)

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:46 pm

During the Havdalah service yesterday evening, we had a little, uh hem, incident. We were passing the spice Besamin around. The littles were completely delighted by the cinnamon fragrance (I couldn't agree more). Finally, it was 9 yo dd's turn. She all but stuck her nose entirely inside the small box and inhaled so strongly that the powder from the cinnamon went right up her nose. That, in turn, caused her to strongly and quickly exhale, which caused spices to fly all over the place. She began to rub her eyes, as she did get some of the powder in them. Immediately though, she saw the humor in the incident and said with great drama, "Spices all through my eyeballs. Nice way to end the Sabbath!"
Needless to say, our Sabbath ended on a note of shared laughter. Oh, how that child cracks me up sometimes.
Last edited by Toni@homezcool4us on Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings!
A proud adoptive mom of 4 children,
~Toni~
I invite you to join me THE WISE WOMAN BUILDS HER HOUSE

amylynn12

Homeschool Moment on the drive home from Church

Unread post by amylynn12 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:02 am

I just had to share this story.....

We go to a church that meets in the early evening & has a shared meal that follows. After the meal, the children will all gather outside & play together. Well, one adorable little boy found a praying Mantis outside. He was really excited & he collected him in a plastic cup and put some waxed paper on top of it with a rubber band.

Anyway, we were all visiting in the parking lot as we were getting ready to leave & the little boy climbed into our car to chat with our girls. It got late, so we all got into our cars. On the drive home, my 11 yod started screaming hysterically & it triggered a chain reaction & I had 6 little girls screaming in the car! She yelled, "Ewwwww!!! It crawled on me!! Ewww!!!!Ewwww!!!Ewwwwwwww!!!"

I flicked on the light & my oldest dd said, "Awww! It's Andrew's Praying Mantis." The poor little guy was just sitting on the floor of our car, probably dazed & confused. :) My 11 yod loves bugs, snakes, frogs. :) It just startled her because it was so dark & she didn't see him. :)

It was one of those unplanned learning moments as the girls started asking all kinds of questions about Praying Mantis. So, we looked up info & learned quite a bit of interesting things about them. Don't you love those unplanned learning moments?

The kids thought that church was definitely the best place for a Praying Mantis to be. :) I guess they find quite a few of them there, so there is a whole congregation of Praying Mantis's. :)

Have a blessed day today1 :)

Cyndi (AZ)

9 yo can't wait to start!

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:44 pm

TracyLee01026 wrote:My 9 yo dd can't wait to get started in ECC. Since I told her about the program, she keeps taking the brochure and writing down all the books and asking questions. She doesn't even want to finish summer vacation! Tonight she looked on the calendar for Labor Day, because we usually start school the next day. She can hardly sleep at night anticipating. It is the funniest thing. Looking forward to ordering soon.
Blessings,
Tracy
Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:14 pm

Wow! The exact same thing is going on at our house, except we'll be doing ADV, and I'm the 9yo! LOL!!!!!

That's so great to hear that your dd is so excited.

cdavis762

Homeschooling Song - O.T. but great for Homeschoolers!

Unread post by cdavis762 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:46 pm

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:42 pm
My friend emailed this to me & I thought I'd share it. It will encourage new homeschoolers! ***********

I Will Survive (the first year of homeschooling)
Originally written and produced by Freddie Perren and Dino Fekaris
Originally performed by Gloria Gaynor
Mercilessly altered with apologies by Natalie Criss

> First I was afraid
> I was petrified.
> Kept thinking I could never teach
> 'Cause I'm not certified.
> But we spent so many nights
> Reteaching homework that was wrong.
> I grew strong,
> so now I teach my kids at home!
> We study math
> and outer space.
> I just kept on despite the fear
> with a big smile across my face.
> I bought a set of Base Ten blocks.
> I bought books with answer keys.
> My parents think we're nuts,
> but they don't even bother me
> Come on, let's go walk out the door.
> We're on the road now,
> 'cause we're not home much anymore
> My friends would laugh and say we'd be unsocialized.
> I heard one mumble
> that I'd give up by July.
> Oh no, not I!
> I will survive!
> As long as I know how to read
> I know we'll be alright.
> I've got all my life to learn.
> I've got energy to burn.
> and I'll survive.
> I will survive.
> It took all the strength I had
> not to fall apart.
> Decided to attend
> a play date at the local park,
> and I met oh so many moms
> who offered eagerly to help.
> They used to cry.
> Now they hold their heads up high,
> and so do we!
> My kids are cool!
> They're not those chained up little people
> stuck inside at school.
> So if you feel like dropping by
> and just expect us to be free
> you'd better call ahead first
> 'cause we're probably busy!

Leah Y

She's been telling everyone she will be busy today

Unread post by Leah Y » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:59 am

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:26 am

WELCOME!!

This is my first year as well. We started on August 4th and will begin Lesson 1 today. My dd is so excited...
she's been telling everyone she will be busy today. :)

Have fun with the Creation unit. My dd really enjoyed it. Make sure you check out some of the idea threads. I got some great ideas for "extra" work there!
Leah

mgardenh

You know you're the parent of a special needs child when...

Unread post by mgardenh » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:20 pm

You know you're the parent of a special needs child when... every time you see O.T. (off topic) you think Occupational therapist. Every time I see OT in subject or in the thread on the message board, I always click on it thinking occupational therapy but then I realize, no, they're talking about something off topic.

Just thought some you might get a kick out it. Although you may have to have a special needs child to think it was funny:)
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

Michele in WA

Unread post by Michele in WA » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:24 pm

That's too funny!! I always thought it was Old Testament until I actually clicked on the posts.....

Michele

TriciaMR

You know... You go to the library too much when

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:42 pm

You know... You go to the library too much when the librarian says to you, as you walk in the door, "This isn't Thursday," or "Where are the kids?"

We normally go to the library on Thursday, as that is the day we usually don't have other things going on. Well, I had some books on hold, and we start Brazil on Monday, and I wanted to get them today. The first thing they said to me when I walked in tonight was, "This isn't Thursday." Then, after I explained, I got, "Where are the kids?"

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:58 pm

That's so cute! :-)

We don't have a set day of the week to go to the library anymore (not since MFWK), but I do get the "Where's your sidekick?" question if I stop in to pick up books on hold without my dd.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

courthart246

Unread post by courthart246 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:27 pm

Had to laugh because our librarians have us figured out too. Last week I had two big stacks of books, and I apologized that I had so many. This year with doing CTG and K I'm checking out lots more books even than last year. The librarian looked at me and smiled and said, "Job security." I thought that was so funny. She also said she considers it payback because she once was a homeschool mom who checked out loads of library books. I love my librarians and I am thankful for a wonderful library. Perhaps we should do something for them for Christmas. Cookies?
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:02 am

Yes, I go to the library with my kids usually on Monday and they look for us. If we go on a different day, we get comments.

I used to go Tuesday nights (when the kids were little) all by myself on the way to my flute choir. I'd get there like clockwork at 6:45. Once I had another errand I wanted to do on the way to flute choir and go there at 6:15 instead. The librarian explained, as I was checking out, that I threw her for a loop when I stepped in the door. She explained that she gets off at 7 PM and usually that means she can pack up when I am done checking out. She was ready to pack up her stuff early that night!
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

my3boys

K science fun

Unread post by my3boys » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:50 am

We are doing Water this week. I had a little glimpse into how my 4yo's mind works :) We talked about liquid water, and then we poured it into the ice-cube tray to make 'solid' water. The next day we took 3 ice-cubes out of the tray and let them melt in a bowl. After the ice-cubes were melted my 4yo stated that if we put the bowl back into the freezer the water would turn back into 3 ice-cubes. So we put the bowl back in the freezer to see what would happen :) I love the simplicity of it all!
cbollin wrote:I'd enjoying hearing what he thinks at the end :-)
-crystal
Postby my3boys » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:20 pm

Yes, we took the bowl out of the freezer today and he was surprised to see that the ice was 'flat' and not shaped back into 3 ice-cubes again :)
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

RachelT

OT: Cute "homeschool" story

Unread post by RachelT » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:38 am

Hello everyone! Last week my daughter had a birthday and we gave her an American Girl doll that looks like her. She was excited and named her "Susie"!

The next morning we were getting ready, doing our normal morning routine and a couple of chores and I said that it was almost time to begin schoolwork. My daughter said,
  • "But mom, I have to homeschool Susie first!"
It made me smile! And I let her do "school" with Susie for a couple of minutes and "they" made a Christmas card for my husband that was also really sweet that said "Mere Crismis Dad!" (She is a K'er.)

I love it when I get a warm fuzzy feeling about the impact that homeschooling has on my children and even possibly future generations!

Merry Christmas!
Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/