Encouragement - *Homeschool Funnies

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
705emily

Just thought this was cute..!

Unread post by 705emily » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:21 pm

Lesson 101 of PLL was a conversation between a rabbit and a squirrel. My 7 yo dd wrote this--just made me smile! :-)

Squirrel: Good day rabbit.
Rabbit: Hello Squirrel. What are you doing today?
Squirrel: I am going to get nuts and put them in my tree.
Rabbit: Shall I come and sleep over?
Squirrel: Yes, you may come. I will be glad to have someone over for the night.
Rabbit: Thank you squirrel. You are so kind to me.
Rabbit: I am going over to squirrel's for the night.
Rabbit's Wife: Okay but come back in the morning.
Rabbit: I wil honey.

Homeschooling is fun isn't it?

Blessings
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

RB

Re: coloring pages for 1st grade notebook!

Unread post by RB » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:56 pm

My son will be in 1st next year and is not big on drawing. In K, it is often a struggle to get him to do the four pictures on the page.

This week he chose to draw toothpicks for Tt. :)
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

courthart246

Passover

Unread post by courthart246 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:34 pm

I was wondering if any other CTG users celebrated Passover today or are planning on celebrating it? We did the meal and the Sedar tonight. It was full of fun memories, as usual when trying to do something serious with little ones.

Let's see, there was my 3 year old who kept asking where Elijah was. Hilarious! She just couldn't get that he wasn't really coming.

Then there was my 6 year old ds who choked on his grape juice and spewed it all over the matzah and my husband's shirt and dress pants.

But other than that, we really enjoyed the symbolism of the Passover and enjoyed sharing this with our children. With Easter coming, it was wonderful to take an evening and focus on Christ. Hope all of you CTG users out there take the time to enjoy this celebration. And share some of your memories as well.
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)

ButtercupsMom

Re: Kingdom Tales

Unread post by ButtercupsMom » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:08 am

KellyinPA wrote: Patience is a virtue, right? ;)
Dd says "patience is a bird shoe."

Dawne :-)
MFW 1st (dd)

4Truth

Re: Record Keeping - grids in the TM

Unread post by 4Truth » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:51 pm

4Truth wrote:I don't plan to ever sell my MFW TMs. They're *ours*. I've still got one to go all the way through elementary, and by the time she's through, the older two may be married and have kids of their own to pass them on to. Of course, some of the years may be revised by then, but we'll deal with that if and when we come to it.
HSmommi2mine wrote:What? Aren't you going to have them bronzed like first baby shoes....? 8[]
4Truth wrote:Ha! Funny, Christina. 8| 8[]
If I bronze them, then I won't be able to reuse them! 8)
Amy in NC wrote:After, Donna, After! :-) As your youngest finishes each year, have them bronzed and display them on the mantle as your trophies! 8[] 8[] ;)
You know what's really pathetic about that idea..... I'd be more likely to do that than bronzing any baby shoes! 8[]

MY teacher manuals. Yes, I know I'm weird. Just call me a Nut. 8]
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Cyndi (AZ)

Long lasting lessons in ADV

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:14 pm

My funny dd is almost done with ADV - we had to finish up slowly through the summer. We were studying the Revolutionary War back in March, and she just loved everything about it. We did every recipe and project and she still has her quill pens. I even let her read all the Felicity books and watch the movie (with some discussion on wrong vs. right), and all the other book basket books.

This morning, she requested Johnny Cakes for breakfast. Since she's a grits everyday kinda kid, I asked if she meant pancakes. "Nope. Johnny Cakes, like we did for school." So, I flipped back through the manual and found the recipe and we whipped up some Johnny Cakes.
Would you like them with syrup or molasses?
"Mom!!! I have to put them in a napkin and go fight in the War!"
Oh, sorry. Here - have a safe day at the War, dear.

Off she went into the family room as George Washington to shoot 'em up. (This is a normally very non-violent child!) Then she was so tired from all that (30 seconds) of fighting Cornwallis, she flopped down at the table and poured some molasses on her Johnny Cakes and had George Washington's breakfast.

Seriously, that's cute! Six months later on a sunny summer day and she decides to be George Washington. Yep, I think she "got" that lesson. I love Adventures!
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

cbollin

1st Math - Puns

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:24 am

dhudson wrote:I am going to be a radical and say not to use anything but the math in the MFW1 TM.
who else is laughing at that (probably unintentional) math pun?
:-)

get it,.... radical... math...

never mind.

Just agreeing with Dawn in case it wasn't obvious....

back into pretending to teach today...

-crystal

dhudson

Re: 1st Math

Unread post by dhudson » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:33 am

Trust me, totally unintentional. I am not sufficiently math minded to have figured that out - only wish I was that smart! :-)
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:38 am

cbollin wrote:
back into pretending to teach today...

-crystal
did I say pretending? does that mean, we're learning about "imaginary numbers?" 8]

ok.... I'm hiding for a while. but without Kellybell around someone has to laugh at me and make math jokes.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:40 am

You mean you're being irrational? I always hated those irrational number problems! :-) ;) :-)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:33 pm

TriciaMR wrote:You mean you're being irrational? I always hated those irrational number problems! :-) ;) :-)

-Trish
8[] 8[]
8]
we need to be careful on silly threads like this, lest their be "division" among us.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:37 pm

Yep, things like that tend to "multiply" and get out of hand. We must differentiate (Diff-Eq. class anyone) ourselves.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Kisa in CA

Name of your Homeschool?

Unread post by Kisa in CA » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:11 pm

spunkytigrr wrote:Hi! For those of you who have named your homeschools, I was wondering if you'd share the names! I'd like to get some ideas rolling! !?
Ours is...

Our last name then... School for Boys. As you can tell, I have only boys.

My husband said it sounds like a place they send onry hooligans. But we like it, hooligans and all. LIfe is never dull or quiet with boys!
10ds, 4th grade
7ds, 1st

tiffany

Re: Name of your Homeschool?

Unread post by tiffany » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:33 pm

How about "School of the Crazy Teacher"? :-) That's how it feels today anyway. Or, "Mom's Outnumbered"? ;)

But seriously, many, many years ago, we named our homeschool, "Love to Learn Elementary." We never really used it in anyway though. It does sound like fun to have a name.
Kisa in CA wrote:Our last name then... School for Boys. As you can tell, I have only boys. My husband said it sounds like a place they send onry hooligans. But we like it, hooligans and all. LIfe is never dull or quiet with boys!
Love this one. We have 5 boys + a girl. Certainly can relate to hooligans! It does make for an interesting dynamic.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

705emily

Cute PLL response!!

Unread post by 705emily » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:28 pm

Just wanted to share! Today my ds, 7 was on Lesson 40 in PLL. He had to read the questions and answer them in complete sentences. The last question was, "Tell something about the kitchen in your house. What is the best thing about the kitchen."

His response: "I like the cook!"

Just one of those cute HSing moments that brightened my day!! :-)

Blessings!
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

Amy in NC

Catalog

Unread post by Amy in NC » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Hey everybody. I got my catalog today and you'll never guess... I was browsing through it and reading all the little quotation boxes where poeple say great things about MFW. Well, I read one written by 'Amy'. I said to myself, "Self, that sounds awfully familiar." So I came to the board and started scanning through the archives. I found the quote and it was something I had written last year. I ran downstairs to the family screaming "I've been published." They thought I was nuts. Dh laughed and said I'm a star. DD9 thought it was cool cuz it was about her favorite book. DD11 just rolled her eyes, cuz she did not enjoy said book. LOL

Well, I thought I'd share.

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR

cbollin

Re: Catalog

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:19 pm

oooh..... and to think... we knew you before you were famous...

oh... I don't do well around famous people...

there's the link (key word fluff)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... uff#p48932

so we have another amy as the MFW "cover girl" and then "our" Amy on p. 22.

(((hugs))) and happy squealing with you.
-crystal

Homeschooling6

Unread post by Homeschooling6 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:28 pm

Will you autograph my catalog. I have been carrying my catalog with me. I love it! My only complaint is I want a thicker catalog ;) I have read everything from cover to cover a thousand times.
Linda Mom to
Joshua 5/98, Annette 9/99, Caleb 9/00, Brent 10/01, Ethan 1/03, Lance 8/04
Currently using texbooks.

Our Blog http://training6hearts4him.blogspot.com

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:02 pm

I got mine today !! :-) SO GOOD to have it in my hands and be able to read, and enjoy the new pages...

I was quoted last year, or was it the year before? I forget, but it was still in there! I thought for sure they would find someone more eloquent to put in that spot this time &)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

KimberlyND

Box Day today!

Unread post by KimberlyND » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:39 pm

On a light note...as I was reading through Writing Strands 3 this morning I read that you should not use exclamation points. It looks like amateur writing. She said to only use one a year. Ha! I must have used up more than my life time's worth already. It looks like a great writing program. I have only looked over the first few lessons but they look fun and easy to use.
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

Julie in MN

Re: Box Day today!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:09 pm

Heehee, I'm amateur extraordinaire! Wonder how she likes this one !! !! !!

8[]
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

RB

Unread post by RB » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:07 pm

As for exclamation points, maybe we can all start a support group or something. There are enough truly bad habits in the world that I'm not ready to give up exclamation points.

Incidentally, I have a comma problem, too 8]. Maybe there is a generalized punctuation disorder.
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

KimberlyND

Unread post by KimberlyND » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:04 am

Maybe writing on forums isn't real writing (???) and we can use all the punctuation marks we like?

Your replies made me laugh, thank you!!!
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

SonShineJewel

I now know I'm not the only one......

Unread post by SonShineJewel » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:13 am

Postby SonShineJewel » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:13 am
I now know I'm not the only one......
Who had a FREEK-OUT after realizing I should have went with MFW the year before.

Postby baileymom » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:42 am
Yes, we're pretty glad we went with MFW from the beginning.
I sometimes think it makes my "is the grass greener on the other side" curriculum disease worse though...

Postby jasntas » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:01 am
I wish I had gone with my gut and gone with MFW 4 years ago. 8O :~
But, don't worry, I believe it will all work out in the end. :)
Things are going great for us now and life is much better. :-)

Postby Joyhomeschool » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:12 pm
LOL.. I did! I used MFW ADV last year and I was so blessed. First year I actually completed a curriculum!

Postby gratitude » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:41 pm
OH YES! I wish I had gone with MFW two years ago when my oldest ds turned 5 (July 08). It would have made home schooling so much easier. It is the third curriculum we have tried (not counting the LA attempts that didn't last at all). I am so grateful that we found MFW in March. :) It has given me the confidence and Desire to continue home schooling indefinitely! :-) Yes, we can do this. We do the curriculum every day and enjoy it. What a relief. My kids are learning more with less time and less effort and more time for play and outdoors, and with God at the center of it all! :-)

Postby Crystallea » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:27 pm
so wish I had done MFW K with my now 6th grader. Actually threw away the catalog.......what was I thinking?????? So glad my curriculum search is OVER!!!
Crystallea

Postby jasntas » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:09 pm
I just found my 2006 MFW catalog while going through and getting rid of all the stuff that didn't work. 8| I kept the other stuff just in case my dd could get some use out of it. No need now that we are using MFW. :-)

It looks like Year Four of the Five Year Cycle was just completed and Year Five was being piloted. Wow! How things change in such a short time. What a talented group of people, Marie in particular.

Well, I'm going to try not to dwell on the 'if only'. We can just focus on where we are and move forward from here. Right?!? ;) :)

Postby cbollin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:36 pm
I remember that year. I had just finished RTR and had to actually wait 2 whole months for the EX1850 to be released. I remember asking if there were options to get something a little early. I am so glad that David told me "NO! Dont' do that to yourself. Go play for the summer with your kids." smart david ;)

oh, that reminds me....
It is officially the 10th anniversary of the MFW message board this month. The original board was launched in June 2000.
Happy Birthday MFW!

Postby luvschoolin2 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:31 pm
%| YES!! Oh my---I wish I had known about MFW from the beginning---meaning 2000! I don't even know if MFW was around then, but I know my dd would have thrived (she will be in 12th) and ds WILL thrive now! We will be starting with AHL, beginning the last 4 year history cycle.

I have been using a different lit based curriculum since about 2005, but I am tired of just handing over a 'reading list' without a cohesive plan. So here we are ;)

Postby momtogc » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:27 pm
Me, too!! The first time I saw a MFW catalog I knew it was the thing for us so we used MFW-1. We had a great year. For second grade, I put together an eclectic mix, I can't remember why I did that? It was a disaster. God saw us through it though and my dd learned a lot even though I switched all of our subjects at least once that year. Now, having finished ADV, which we loved, and getting ready for ECC, I want to kick myself for skipping a year with MFW. Even so, in hind sight I realize that it's going to work out just fine because dd will go through five year cycle and finish in time for high school.

Postby SonShineJewel » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:20 pm
You are all awesome.
I AM SOOOOO HAPPY to be In My Father's World.
SonShineJewel
ds8 (3rd)
ds6 (K)
& ds6 (K)
**mfwA-Z & mfwADV**

cbollin

s/o from Prep thread.... too funny

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:03 pm

On the Prep thread, we got talking about school supplies... Well, I was making my walmart trip just now and putting glue and glue sticks in the cart and still having one of those moments where you just wonder "am I supposed to really homeschool and is MFW really what I'm supposed to use?!"!"

(what... I still have those moments)

anyway, the school supply stuff was near a section of "inspirational music" and playing from the sampler, was, you guessed it "This is My Father's World"

8[] 8[] 8[] 8[]

ok. God. got that message, I'm here another year.

-crystal