Encouragement - *Homeschool Funnies

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Smoakhouse

Re: I think I have a problem.....

Unread post by Smoakhouse » Mon May 02, 2011 7:38 pm

I LOVE this post!

I too suffer from this affliction. ;)

Every time I find a curriculum that I like but is not the right level for any of my kids, I put it on my list at the appropirate level. I have a working curriculum plan, with a couple of options for each subject, each year. When you get to high school level, you will be thankful for this list.
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 23 & 20 and boy 10
Homeschooling for 18 years and counting!!
MFW ECC (2016-17)
MFW Adventures (2013-14)
MFW 1st (2012-13)
MFW K (2011-12)
MFW Health (fall 2011)
Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/cdsmoak

spaldingclan

Unread post by spaldingclan » Mon May 02, 2011 8:50 pm

Oh my word I am so right there with you! Today, I opened up our MFW K package for my littlest dd who is "Officially" doing K now instead of just tagging along. Thursday we will start MFW1 for my middle dd, and I have been reading a little bit about Adventures already and getting excited about that!

Hellooooo!!! Haven't even started 1st yet.

It is so fun though to look ahead and see where she is going to be and what we will be doing (Lord willing). I absolutely can not order the curriculum though. It will just push me over the edge to distraction- I have absolutely no will power once the books are in my house, lol!

Anyway, I just wanted to pipe in and say I know exactly what you are talking about. :-)
Kim
**Stars of Grace Academy**
happily married to dh since 1995
mom to 3 outgoing daughters:
dd1 age 14: Freshman at PS
dd2 age 6 1/2: currently in MFW1, finished MFWK
dd3 age 5: currently in MFWK
http://thislittlehouseschool.blogspot.com

Mexmarr

Unread post by Mexmarr » Tue May 03, 2011 11:09 am

Yep, Yep, Yep, I am so there!!!! I'm planning ECC, and we are on week 10 of Adventures. My shopping list is all ready.
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures

robertb10502

Unread post by robertb10502 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:49 am

At least I'm not alone :)
-Samantha- wife to Robert - mom to Christian, Riley, Eli and Annie.

2012 - 2013 ECC
2011 - 2012 1st and Adventures
2010 - 2011 K and 1st
2010 - 2009 K

Dusenkids

Unread post by Dusenkids » Wed May 04, 2011 6:39 pm

Where is the "like button" when you need it! :-) I thought this was just a teacher problem....wait, we are all teachers! :-) Enjoy the catologs and web page until you get the TM!
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern

FreshKid

TOO FUNNY -- I just have to share

Unread post by FreshKid » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:04 pm

We have been with MFW since DS was in K. This year, we are doing ECC for 3rd grade. We just finished Mexico last week.

This weekend, we were looking for a place to eat in town. As he pleaded his case for his favorite sit-down restaurant (not my favorite place at all), he said, "Mom. If we go to (Mexican), it will count for school."

Today, we were talking about decomposers in Science. After giving several examples and turning to work on something else, a fly came into the room. I was told not to swat it because "it's for school."

We still have our challenges, but these lighter moments should not be missed. I'm so glad he is at home to learn and explore these things. I would miss so much if it were a ps teacher hearing these quips.

mothergooseofthree

Chamber pots.....

Unread post by mothergooseofthree » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:32 pm

We are in week three of RtR and this is what I found my kids researching on Google earlier. At least they are showing some interest in something we have studied!!!

MOMS

A VERSE OF ENCOURAGEMENT

Unread post by MOMS » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:32 pm

So I was looking around @ my ....not "dirty" but very cluttered house, wondering where to start (& what could really get done in the 10-15 min that I had) & the Lord brought a verse to my mind that made me laugh.
Prov. 14:4 (NLT)
"WITHOUT OXEN A STABLE STAYS CLEAN, BUT YOU NEED A STRONG OX FOR A LARGE HARVEST."

Yup, it definitely looked like there was a "strong ox" in my "stable" :-)
**Rachel** married to Hondo
2nd yr homeschooler
Bubba 10, Sato 7, Mia 4 & Baby Hondo 2

Caryn

Re: A VERSE OF ENCOURAGEMENT

Unread post by Caryn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:58 am

He he he.. love it. Reminds me of a wall hanging I saw somewhere saying "Please excuse my house...my children are busy making memories." I might just have to make one with that scripture on it :)
Caryn
==============================================
dd9, ds8, and ds3 (Speech therapy and pre-k)
Pre-k (twice), K (twice), 1st (twice), Adventures, ECC and currently CtG
My blog: Considering Wildflowers

Stephc

Is anyone else's day like this?

Unread post by Stephc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:59 pm

Actual day:

Me: Ok, Amber, we're going to do a kindergarten!
Amber: yay!
Me: ok, let's sing This is my Father's World. "this is my Father's World..." No Libby, no climbing on the table. (pull baby off table). "and to my listening ears..." No Juliet, no scissors. Swat baby's butt for crawling on table.
Tyson: mom! Can I have a snack?
Me: it's not snack time yet! "all nature sings and round me rings...." Juliet! Stop tearing up the papers! Amber, sit down!
Anna: Mom! Can you unlock the computer? I need to do math!
Me: trudging up the stairs to unlock said computer, Hope, will you put a movie on for Juliet?
Hope: siiiiiiigh. Oooookkkkaaayyyyyy. (is my 13 year old the only homeschooled oldest girl who does not want to do anything for anyone other than herself?)
Me: coming back down the stairs "the music of the spheres...." Amber? What are you doing? Put the glue stick DOWN. I finish singing the song. Ok, what day of Creation are we on? Yes, that's right! Day number 3. What did God create in day 3?
Jackson: MOM! Libby is in my room!
Me: Anna, please watch Libby for me. (Getting out craft supplies.)
Jackson: NO MOM! She has to get OUT! ( Aspie son canNOT handle anyone in his space).
Me: Anna, please bring Libby down and read her a book. Anna brings Libby down and is shocked that when she plops baby in front of Stawberry Shortcake on the TV, she does NOT want to read a book. She then leaves to go back to doing math, and Libby comes back into the dining room to tear up numbers from MFW curriculum, while toddler Juliet dances around the table swiping craft supplies and books.
Me: ANNA, GET DOWN HERE AND READ THE BABIES A BOOK!!!
Me: (slapping glue on construction paper and cut out trees) yes, Amber! Just put the verse on the paper! Ok. We're done.

Blah. I know there must be a better way. My days homeschooling have almost always been like this. We have had some GREAT moments and days, but the frenetic activity just makes me nuts sometimes. I can do ALOT of things at once, but throw in crafts and I just get grumpy when no one wants to cooperate.
Is going to be hard to post this because I think I must be the only mom who cannot seeem to get it together and end up sounding like a drill sergeant. My kids and I have a great time together, but homeschooling can be quite stressful with babies and personalities.
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
DD14, DD11, DS10, DS8, DD5, DD3, DD19 months
Using Kindy and AHL

cbollin

Re: Is anyone else's day like this?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:39 am

There are entire workshops, conferences, and Todd Wilson books and cartoons that indicate that's within the range of normal for when you're homeschooling and establishing routines.

David hazell has a workshop on Help My Homeschool in Chaos. Several mfw staff give similar workshops. David talks about it as though he use to do the same things and was the "workshop gestapo". There was a stretch of years where he was the stay at home dad and Marie was a school teacher.

Todd Wilson's cartoon books - clearly he and his wife and their friends... been there done that...

there's the days where I had to get one of them off the top of the fridge and get her clothes back on her.

I remember when my oldest 2 or 3 and we were at a small group (church thing) in our leader's house. Ohh.. .they were "perfect family" in my eyes - church leaders, very gentle loving family, worked in a parachurch campus group. homeschooling... wow.... They were just nice people! Anyway, we're sitting there trying to do this "multi generational family style devotional Bible study"..... The dad of that family was our leader, he had 3 of his boys on or near the couch with him... (these young men are now in their 20's) ... "don't touch me! you started it. did not.... take that stupid pacificer out of your mouth Caleb. you're too old for that"

the dad sat there.mortified! he had just said "This is one of my son's favorite books - Missionary Stories from the Millers" LOL LOL. and the boys were punching each other in the arm.....

It takes time to establish routines and expectations. I remember hearing one famous speaker put it this way... "When you see those so called perfect families that have it all together, remember you are seeing about a decade's worth of work to get there. "

((((hugs)))) yes, you have described what is considered in the range of normal. not all days are like that when we homeschool.

that's the support.... here is one tip that worked in my family. it might not work in yours: oh wait.... my oldest still interrupts.... never mind.... I'll just stick with supportive cyber hugs and encourage you to get some of Todd Wilson's homeschooling cartoon books -- because a sense of humor is a must for days like this!

-crystal

Stephc

Unread post by Stephc » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:16 am

Thnk you, Crystal. You're right, not everyday is like this. I just feels like other are lately. I think it's mostly when I want to start a new program. And those days are so extraordinarily bad that they stick in my head to be immortalized forever, while the mundane, successful days sort of fade into oblivion.
I have some of Todd Wilson's stuff, but did not know about his cartoons. I should check them out.
I have to laugh when people stare at us, mouth agape like the lady in Alabama a couple of weeks ago, and praise our kids for their kindness and sweetness and helpfulness. And "oh they're al so smart and beautiful!" Yes, thank you, you caught us at a good moment, is what I want to say. Lol.
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
Using Kindy and AHL

HomeschoolHarvest

Unread post by HomeschoolHarvest » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:16 am

Oh, I just had to laugh when I read your post. YES!! My days are like this quite often. Thanks for having the courage to post. :-)
And yes, we'll be in the middle of devotions and I'll end up yelling to be quiet or stop annoying each other, etc. Ugh! Sometimes just the noise level in our house is crazy - I have three boys (almost 12, 10, 4) and one toddling, lego eating, paper eating, grabbing toys from brothers, scribbling on papers, table climbing......girl (almost 2).
Thanks, Crystal, for the workshop info. And I have seen Todd Wilson's cartoons - they are great! Makes you feel like you are not alone. I try to remember it's just for a season, but, boy, sometimes it's tough.
Have a peaceful day, ladies.
Kristen

mandolin

Unread post by mandolin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 am

Todd Wilson is wonderful!!! My husband and I went to all his workshops at a homeschool conference because he was so encouraging and real.
I have had many days as you've described. :)
Nobody has those pictures on the front of the homeschool magazines! LOL
This walk with our families is such an adventure. I am glad we are not in it alone. The Lord has given us each other and most of all His daily encouragement in His Word that He uses real people. Aren't they all through the Word? :)
I am so glad you shared, we have all been there who have several children.

Mandi
widow, remarried now 5 years to wonderful hubby
Loving MFW!
ECC with DSons 11 and 13, MFW 1st with DS, 8
homeschooling for 13 years

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Steph,

I can quickly turn into "military mom," as my husband describes it, when the chaos ensues. You are NOT alone - and I only have 3 to keep in line. I'm noticing it is getting easier and easier, but I do have two that seem to really need to be moving to listen. My dd will knit (thank goodness that is a quieter activity). My boys... If I can get them to color or play with Legos "quietly" we're good. But if that one boy doesn't have "something" to do, he is all over the place trying to distract me!

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Stephc

Unread post by Stephc » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:42 am

Thanks very much for commiserating with me ladies. It does help to know I'm not alone.
Trish, I have been contemplating letting them do something while I read. Honestly, though? It distracts ME. Lol. I think I need to get over myself. ;)
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
Using Kindy and AHL

gentlestrengths

Unread post by gentlestrengths » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:55 am

I think this happens to everyone. What I have learned, and what has worked best for us - is establishing school-rules. Making a routine, and sticking to it.
For example, when it is school time in our house, it is NOT time for a drink of water, not time for eating, not time for playing, or for anything besides doing school type things.

If we are singing a song, or reading, (with a 5yo, or a 10 year old, doesn't matter) - it isn't okay for anyone else to interrupt. It isn't okay to ask questions that aren't related to what we're doing. My kids are almost 2, 5, 7, 9 and 11. So we definitely have interruptions! Especially because the almost-two-year old is very into seeing what things do. He loves to get into things...so it makes life difficult. I have to keep him near and give him things to do constantly (puzzles, books, supervised coloring, etc).

It is hardly ever easy! But I know the little ones will get bigger, phew.

TriciaMR

Summary that gave me a Laugh

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:05 pm

My dd wrote this summary for the Louisiana Purchase, and it made me laugh:

The USA wanted the Louisiana Territory. France wanted money. So they sold the Louisiana Territory to us for 15 million dollars. We bought it. It was a win-win.

(It was the "win-win" part that made me LOL!)

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Yodergoat

OT but cute... "Ann" or "Anne" (photo)

Unread post by Yodergoat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:57 am

This is a picture from several months ago, way back in lesson 8 of MFWK. But I just couldn't resist sharing it.

I was doing stuff at the kitchen counter while Gail cut and pasted at the table, and when I turned around to look at her paper this is what I saw. (see photo below)

And do you know why? Some of you do, I know. ;)

I understood perfectly, but asked her, to which she replied with a quote and inflection:

"Ann without an E looks absolutely dreadful, but Anne with an E is quite distinguished."

Looking back through her papers, every single time the girl Ann is pictured, or the name Ann is used on a word list, she has added the E to make it look distinguished. :-) I love it!

I'm so glad she is at home for me to see things like this. If she were in public school, what would the teacher's reaction be? I dare say that teacher would not find it so endearing. I love that I will be able to go back later and see this in her saved papers and remember these days in K. And I love homeschooling because my unique little girl can add her own flavor to her work without being belittled or told she is wrong.

I am blessed by God to be able to see it and share it with others who understand!

(for those who aren't familiar with it, Gail was referencing Anne of Green Gables, which Gail adores both in unabridged audio book and movie form)
Attachments
IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0561.JPG (74.67 KiB) Viewed 8172 times
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

TriciaMR

Emma Serl rolling over in her grave...

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:27 am

So, we're on lesson 272 in ILL and the assignment is to use "frozen sleep" in a sentence. Toni says, "Princess Leia released Han Solo from his frozen sleep."

Much laughter ensued around the living room.
Julie in MN wrote:Too funny :)

Okay, sheepishly asking, what did Emma Serl expect there? &) &) &)
There was a poem that we read, and one of the steps of the lesson was to use several phrases (listed as part of the step) of the poem in original sentences. The original sentence was something about rivers or streams awakening from their "frozen sleep."

-Trish
cherona wrote:Trish- that is priceless! Seriously love it! :)

Cheri
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

momxnine

A little OT - Biology

Unread post by momxnine » Wed May 16, 2012 11:48 am

I found out the other day that to count Biology for high school, you have to have labs. We didn't do labs this year, just went through the book, so I've been trying to figure out what to do to add the labs to my 16 year old's biology class and not have him totally balk about it. Well, God provided a FREE dissection class this morning....

We've been having trouble with groundhogs eating up our garden. We're in the city, so we can't shoot them, they can only be trapped by the animal shelter folks. But, there's no law about chasing them down and bopping them on the head to kill them. So guess what my boys have been doing? Yep, chasing groundhogs and this morning they caught the big daddy one. So now, my sons are out there "dressing" the thing and getting it ready to cook it and eat it.

Does that count as a lab???? We'll be sure and identify all the inside parts. : )
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

cbollin

Re: A little OT - Biology

Unread post by cbollin » Wed May 16, 2012 12:30 pm

Vicki....yes, I'd count it if you identify some stuff in there.. have "fun"?"""

LOLLOLOL ROTFLOL

now you got me thinking and planning some here.... cue the music, you know.. the crawdad, fishin song.. right?

You get a line and I get a pole, now honey
you get a line and I get a pole, hey babe...
you get a line and I get a pole
we'll go fishin in the crawdad hole

so next up on dissections...
now you head you on over to wallyworld in the fishing/hunting department. get some live bait (earthworms)..
take a bunch of them and go fishin' now... let one worm meet its maker and dissect it..
and clean some fish you catch..

can we say field trip to bass pro shop in springfield?

so.. that's 3 dissections.... mammal, invertebrate, and fish. and well, them crawdads too...

and to think I was gunna suggest a link to marty's blog or the other one..

I just love how God arranges better stuff than we can imagine.

-crystal

momxnine

Unread post by momxnine » Wed May 16, 2012 12:46 pm

That's a great idea about fishing though! And they're still underage and wouldn't need a license AND we have a bait shop just right up the street, in between us and the creek!! We've even got fishing poles! Oh boy, I can just hear the "WOO HOO's" now!! :D Although, I'm not sure if there's any fish in our little creek. There are tons of crawdad's though, my boys love to catch them. The brain is storming..... :D I've been taking pictures, shall I post some??? :D

P.S. We had a possum in the trap this morning and the pound came and got him. They are just TOO ugly to dissect! :D
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

ilovemy4kids

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Wed May 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Yes, just have them diagram and label all of the organs etc.... then write it up a lab report. Documentation is key! We've done rabbits, deer, opossum, raccoon, squirrel! We also do all of the apologia labs, but these are extra practice!

Cyndi (AZ)

World Map Globe

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:01 pm

At my dd's bday party last year, the kids played relay games in the field by our house. When it was time for the "carry a beach ball in between your legs while running" game, I pulled out 3 beach balls. The moms there all started laughing. A lot.

"What?"

"Only a homeschooler's beach balls would all be globes!"

oh.

:-)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL