Music Resources - Hymns, My Father's World(K song), & others

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
cbollin

Resources for learning hymns?

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:23 am

sewgirlie wrote:Can anyone recommend a good resource for learning traditional hymns? My husband and I are both 1st generation Christians and our church only sings one hymn a week (during the dismissal of children to toddler church). We'd like our children to study the hymns as suggested in the MFW TM, but I'm not musical and don't know where to start. I want more than just a hymnal. I'd like a CD with a lyrics book if possible.

Thanks,
Carrie
in the MFW programs, EX1850 and 1850MOD, a book called Then Sings My Soul is scheduled for use. You can purchase separately and use it sooner if you wish. Check the ex1850 ordering page.
If I recall. not all of the songs in the book get covered over the years.. but you can do some work on figuring out what will be done (and do them again if you need to)
here are some links to figure that out
for year 4, aka EX1850
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9605
and 1850MOD, year 5
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9606

Personally.... in my family, we preferred to use other recordings for the vocals out there and found many nice things on youtube. It's just a personal preference in our case. We found that group singing from individuals or churches helped us to join in the song. The vocal versions on the links on mfw board were solo performances. While nice to listen... and we appreciate the performance.. we personally wanted to sing along and that was not in our skill set to do that with those vocal performances. among many options out there were "famous" people (in country music anyway), or from less known groups at churches...

that might be an easy start?

depending on ages and musical likes in your family... check for cd's out there on traditional hymns, or find "strolling down memory lane" out there on youtube with Willy and Billy Pollard. That's more of ragtime versions of gospel hymns. how funny... on this... our church yesterday... we shook it up a bit here in Memphis and sounded more like Nashville. We did a lot of bluegrass versions of some songs. blue grass was not the norm. ;) not at all. Got to say that the congregation has a lot to learn on when to clap with bluegrass, but Tillman and boys in the band might try it again... having "growed up" in southwest Virginia with bluegrass, I felt at home at last for about 15 minutes here in Memphis..... except the clapping.... but oh... someone had out a mandolin and upright bass, and the drums were right.. and the acoustic guitar..

do you like Alan Jackson? maybe his hymns cds?

AND I HOPE OTHERS CHIME IN. DIDN'T MEAN TO HOG THE THREAD.

-crystal

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: Resources for learning hymns?

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:48 pm

I've had the same issue. This year, I actually sat down with the RTR manual and picked out hymns that would kinda sorta line up with topics, either Bible or Science or a person being studied, etc. I bounced that against a list I had from Julie and Crystal to make sure that I wasn't going to be repeating a hymn that gets used later in the cycle. Then I did a google/youtube search to find videos with music (and hopefully lyrics) to the hymns I wanted to use. I agree with Crystal's comment about Alan Jackson - I found so many good ones on youtube that I'm thinking that I should just buy that cd. It was truly a lot of research to pick songs and I wish that I did have a hymnal!! I need to buy one. I grew up in private school and we learned how to read music and count time out of the hymnals.

I do like how a lot of the song writers now are using popular hymns and then adding their own choruses to them. Our church sings many of those. Truth be told, I thought they were "ruining the classics" at first, but now I like the fact that we get to visit the old hymns with them.

I'd really like to know how others learn the hymns in their homes. I am *not* musical, but my dd is. I wish it were easier to get a cd that is similiar to the church music I grew up with.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:01 pm

cbollin wrote:Julie in MN..... if you have a moment... how do y'all do it up North? I bet it sounds very different.
Well, up here in "da nord" (bad Norwegian accent because I'm not Norwegian), my favorite hymn resource is Joni Eareckson Tada's Hymns For a Kid's Heart series. There are at least two volumes, plus a Christmas and an Easter volume, and then there are more grown-up ones after that (When Morning Guilds the Sky; What Wondrous Love is This; O Worship the King). Each book covers maybe a dozen hymns, starting with background information and devotional thoughts, then the written music, and best of all, every hymn is always on the CD -- and it's sung, not just instrumental -- by Joni or sometimes by children or other nice voices. When I started homeschooling Reid, several of us were doing ECC and using Hymns For a Kid's Heart. We'd chat on the board about how precious it was to start the day with little voices chiming Holy, Holy, Holy! Then several of the hymns from that CD were learned in EX1850, so we got it out again.

Also, if you just want to stick to the one MFW hymn book, I made a list of hymns that I didn't think were used in years 4-5: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 878#p47067
And there are quite a few more ideas for hymn resources on that thread.

I love the hymns, often fall asleep to them. Currently my little 5yo grandson likes to fall asleep to a CD called Favorite Hymns by Gary Lee Koreiba. I think boys find it helpful to hear a boy singing on occasion. (Funny, I just googled to see if that CD is still out there, and Mr. Koreiba came up at a theater Branson LOL.) Happy singing,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

NJCheryl

Unread post by NJCheryl » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:48 pm

We have "Hymns For a Kids Heart" by Joni Ericson, The Book "Then Sings My Soul, and Bart Millard's (lead singer of Mercy me) Hymn CD's.

Cheryl

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:53 pm

I think the group Selah has a few albums of just hymns... and they're beautifully done. If you want, you can go to youtube and search Selah to preview their songs.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Hymns for a Kid's Heart

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:06 pm

lea_lpz wrote:Hi! I was checking out mfw 1st archives in part of my preparation to gear up for mfw1st and I saw this as a suggestion for practicing hymns with kids to improve memorization which I thought was a lovely idea. I tried to find this cd online but it wasn't at any of the common homeschool or christian online vendors. On e-bay or amazon, it's going for $40+; more than I am willing to shell out.

Anyone know where I could find this at a more reasonable price or have any suggestions for alternate cds? I would be open to non children hymns cds. I'd just really like a something to learn classics with my kids. I also have a fondness for blue grass. Open to suggestions. Or pm me if you have a copy you'd be willing to part with. I would be willing to pay up to $20 w/ shipping and handling.
Aw, I'm sad to see those have gone out of print. Hopefully it will be short-lived. I remember when the Jotham's Journey series went out of print and only could be found at those exorbitant prices, but then it came back into print.

I did see used ones for less than $40.

According to CBD, it looks like the Christmas and Easter ones are still in print. The Easter one is really just Jesus hymns, so that might be nice. It's called Vol. 3, Passion Hymns for a Kid's Heart.

Oh, and it looks like the authors have a website for the books that includes a lot of what's in them -- the audios and the words and even the little verses/prayers, although not the little stories and such from the pages of the books. There's even a page of "creative ideas" for book 1, for Sunday Schools.
http://www.hymnsforkids.com/

We used these during ECC and off-and-on after that. They are lovely to do with your kids.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs