Independence - What if I WANT us to work together?

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
LSH in MS

Independence - What if I WANT us to work together?

Unread post by LSH in MS »

Question from a control freak -- how much s/b independent work?
Cyndi (WA) wrote:I'm curious how many of you have your dc do independent work, starting in ADV. I've seen posts lately that suggest that you hand over a workbook and have them "go for it" in certain subjects.

I'm not sure I could do that (or would want to do that, really). That's one of the reasons that I chose MFW over something like ACE - because I wanted to be building a relationship while we are doing school. I do sometimes leave my dd alone for a few minutes to finish a copywork page or notebook page in MFW1, but I can't imagine leaving her to do an entire subject. Is this "I have an only child that I fawn over" syndrome, or a normal question?
Even having 5 children I usually sit by them when they are doing K and 1st. Almost all work for that age is one on one.

As far as the older ones, I would love to be involved more with them on everything, but the sheer quantity of work has forced me to require them to work on their own or I would be schooling all day.

While I am teaching K and 1st my older ones do copywork, math, reading and book basket. I usually pick their strong subjects for them to do independently. Spelling is mostly independent except for the test.

We do science, history and Bible together. I also do English and writing assignments one on one as they need help with these. There is still ample time to develop that relationship via read alouds etc.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years
Mercy

Unread post by Mercy »

I am replying to this from a different perspective. I've only been doing ADV for a week, but I've spent hours looking over the tm and I can see the overall picture will be about the same for our home.

I also spent 11 weeks FIRST in ECC before switching to ADV.

So, saying that - I honestly think that ADV seems to have more opportunities for independent work than I felt ECC did.

Of course it's always up to mom how much they do independently!

I find with a newborn and an almost 3yo, I am looking for small places to let my son develop independent skills. But, I agree, I want to keep that relationship with my children and that's what I love about MFW. It gives YOU the control to choose how much time you spend together. For instance with the art in ADV, I could sit with him and work alongside him or I can hand him the book, in essence. I try to keep a balance between the two.

Even PLL seems to have a good amount that you can give to your child to do independently, but I do almost all of it with him - occasionally leaving him to do copywork or what have you.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I also chose MFW since it builds relationships (and memories!) by working together on projects, reading aloud together, etc. But, for my home there is a place of learning to be independent in certain areas. I try to give him at least one small project to work on by himself each day (decorate your notebook, etc.). But, mostly we are sitting together working.

That's just how we work it in our home. Hope that gives you some kind of answer.

Take care,
Mercy
Wife to Superman
Mother to 8yob, 3yog & 3mob
started in ECC, switched to ADV
http://ourhomeschoolingadventures.blogspot.com/
http://ourhomeschoolingfun.blogspot.com/
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom." H.W. Beecher
staceyd

Independent work..

Unread post by staceyd »

I have 2 boys working on MFW 1. Only one is doing the phonics portion as the other is still working in MFW K...

I am probably like you... He does complete copy work by himself, but I am just 3 feet away working on something, and I continually check to make sure he is on track. His Bible Notebook illustration he completes by himself, and brings it too me when completed. Then he narrates the meaning of his picture. We use MUS instead of MFW math, there is a portion we complete together, and then he can complete the rest of the worksheets on his own. But I stay close, and like to "supervise"...

As the years go on, I will back off a bit more, but I also think my son likes having me close by.
Stacey and crew
mom2woii

Unread post by mom2woii »

Your dd is quite young to be doing independent work. I think working alongside a child at this age is best.

Actually, if I remember back to when my older kids were younger, they kind of let me know when they were ready to go off and do a whole math or penmanship page, or whatever the subject might be. I think it happened naturally as they matured. Then when they needed help, they'd come to me....and still do!

I may assign my 8yo to work on "this row" of math problems and I am in the same room with her, but not necessarily watching every stroke of her pencil. But that's about all I do at one time. Small increments. Or I may tell her to copy her scripture memory verse, while I throw a load of laundry in. That gives her enough time to do it without me "pressuring her" to hurry up.

Does that make sense? Anyway, it sounds like you are doing it just right.
Lana
Married 20 years to Warner.
Mom to Warner (17); Olivia (15); Isaac (11); Isabella (8)
Used Adventures 2007-08
Starting ECC Aug. 08
Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) »

Thanks so much for the replies. It is a blessing to get quick advice I can count on.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL
angelsoup

Unread post by angelsoup »

My two ds are 3rd and 5th. I am trying to teach some independence, BUT my two are completely hands-on and teacher intensive. We do school all day. If I don't stay on top of them, they see the opportunity to take a break. I am a meanie, too - if all the work doesn't get done in the week, we (gasp!) school on Saturday. We haven't had to do that too many times, I made believers out of them.

They are both ADHD and easily distracted. Some days are great and some are the pitts - didn't Erma Bombeck say that? I wouldn't trade one single second with them though.
Debra
Mom to William (13) and Joshua (11)
MFW Adventures '06-'07
ECC '07-'08
Back to the Basics '08-'09
CtoG '09-'10
Julie in MN

Re: Question from a control freak -- how much s/b independen

Unread post by Julie in MN »

Cyndi (WA) wrote: Is this "I have an only child that I fawn over" syndrome, or a normal question?
I think it's more of an "I'm it -- I'm all there is for him all day" syndrome. When you are just schooling one, then independent work doesn't feel like "lots of kids working on different things throughout the house." Instead, it feels like "solitary confinement" to my ds.

While I've had to assign many things independently to ds (and MFW makes that easy for me), I still prefer to be a teacher for my 6th grader. You're not alone!

I think MFW's plan of gradually introducing some independent work in 7th and 8th grades will be perfect. As Lana said, I'm sure ds will be asking to try something like that next year, because I see the signs on certain days this year.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
LSH in MS

Re: Independent school work...singapore, PLL/ILL...

Unread post by LSH in MS »

RB wrote:I've been wondering recently whether I'm missing something. I'd like my daughters (2nd and 3rd grade) to become more independent with their math and language arts. But on the whole i seem to need to be right there with the current programs we are using, which are those recommended by MFW. We like them, but I just feel very involved. In Singapore Math, for example, whenever a new concept is introduced I walk them through the textbook and we do some practice with blocks or something (if needed) and then I will have them work on Workbook. Often both girls do Math at the same time, but sometimes they get frustrated because I can't give them both my full attention simultaneously. I usually have them skip to something they can do, or take a break until I'm done with the other.

The only things that they really (consistently) do independently are Reading, Book Basket, Copywork, Science Drawings...I think that's it. Just wondering what others are doing with similar age children. I have many friends IRL who use MUS and pretty much leave the teaching to Mr Demme. But we do prefer Singapore.
Thanks!
At that age I think most work will be done with them. My 3rd grader can do Spelling, Reading, Math, and Book basket by himself. but even with his math I have to go over some things with him. I use First Language Lessons and Writing with Ease 2 with him for LA, but that is totally teacher directed. Thankfully it only takes a total of 25 minutes to do both. (At the most).
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years
mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh »

For LA you are going to be more involved no matter what program you use. You are going to be teaching stuff, yes some programs have more workbook type stuff but takes longer because you have to teach and then they have to do the workbook stuff. As they get older you will find more independence. I have to be right there for math for my DD but she does her spelling by herself and she has done some LA by herself. I would not just give my DD PLL to read and do what it says. Just my opinion.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR
Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC »

Agreeing with the others that your kids are still young enough to need your involvement to varying degrees. But I would like to encourage you that this season will pass so quickly. Before you know it your oldest dd will be doing more and more on her own and even able to help teach the younger ones occasionally.

I do understand the frustration of having several kids working on math (or whatever) at once. They all seem to need your attention at once. It makes for a very frazzled mommy, does it not? I have found that what helps the most is to not require the kids to all be doing the same subject at the same time. It looks nice on paper like that, but in real life it is nothing but chaotic. Staggering the subjects has been the solution to that problem for us. Perhaps it would help you?

Just a thought. :)
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

RB wrote:The only things that they really (consistently) do independently are Reading, Book Basket, Copywork, Science Drawings...I think that's it. Just wondering what others are doing with similar age children.

about the same as you. I teach my children at that age. Like Jenn said, they grow up FAST!
I like that using PLL/ILL and Singapore will not take tons of my time to effectively cover the lesson. I still have snuggle time with them for some of it. that's why I homeschool. Just wait a few years when they are in middle school and start to need you less and less....... then high school......
I have many friends IRL who use MUS and pretty much leave the teaching to Mr Demme.
well as a former long time user of MUS..... that's not the intent of that program at that age. ;) It was not intended to be plop them in front of Steve and then do your worksheet. It was intended that mom/dad/teacher watch. Then mom/dad/teacher TEACH, then kid does worksheet.

-crystal
RB

Unread post by RB »

Thanks, this was exactly what I hoped to find out! It wasn't so much that I didn't want to keep teaching them to the extent that I do, but that I didn't want to hold them back from where they ought to be.

I have seen a huge leap in my oldest daughter's independent writing ability this year, though. We had a really cool African dinner last week with friends who had recently spent a summer in Africa, and the next day I asked my girls to create a page in their notebooks to remember the evening. (we were so busy eating, talking, hearing stories and seeing pictures that I forgot to break out the camera.) Anyway, my 3rd grader happily went into the kitchen and wrote a great summary. She wouldn't have been able to do that last year.
Blessings!
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)
cbollin

Re: Adventures--who reads what?

Unread post by cbollin »

BCat7305 wrote:We are in Week 10 of Adventures and really enjoying it--I have 2nd grade and a K boys.

At this point, it has seemed like all of the history books are to be read aloud by me--is that true? Even yesterday, when we read The Nutcracker--I read it aloud, even though my 2nd grade son could have easily read it to himself or to all of us. But it just seemed like we would be learning together and enjoying it together if I read it.

I know we can do whatever works for us, but-- What is the intended way to do Adventures (and subsequent MFW programs)? Who reads what? Thanks
Betsy
Hi Betsy,

I think you hit the nail on the head. ;) It's about learning together.

In the years that I've used MFW, I have usually read the package books to my kids. Or, if there is a package book that is at or a little below their reading level, then I'll let them read it out loud to me. But I go for the interaction and learning together in these years and read to them and teach them.

-crystal
dhudson

Unread post by dhudson »

I did both. On books that they could read well aloud, I let them read it to me. We all still sat together but this way they could practice the art of reading aloud. I may have them read something several times to make sure that they got the inflection and phrasing correct. ( I have a drama background, can you tell? ;) ) I still do this with all of my kids. They all takes turns of reading out loud to the family. For times sake, I do some of the heavier history readings but they all enjoy their turn to read aloud.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

BCat7305 wrote:Good input all; thanks. I wish I knew what the Hazell's intention was also, so I would know if Adventures is above their "level". If they understand it, is that the right level, or ought they be able to read it themselves?
Betsy,
I feel confident that MFW is meant to be done as a family. You do not order books for each child, even if you have a dozen kids. Some of us have our kids read science or history on occasion; my son & I take turn reading paragraphs from the Bible. But those are not intended for English class, so having children read is not the focus.

All through K-8th grade, history and Bible are meant to be parent-led. That way, you can monitor your child's understanding of concepts that will affect their worldview. Here's a post from Lucy along those lines:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 449#p53449

Enjoy your time of learning together! You're teaching yourself, too :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs