Homeschooling despite illness

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
mom2woii

Unread post by mom2woii »

NewHomeSchoolMarm wrote:Had to run this by you all-- I love the MFW community. I have been battling serious illness since February and am undergoing testing and many Dr. visits. The last four months have been physically debilitating--but not without many gems (they only seem to show up at times like these!). My dh is seriously contemplating sending our girls to school in September. I agree that homeschooling has been both a challenge and blessing for us at this time. I have personally learned a flexibililty that health would have never shown me--and my daughters love this approach to schooling so much more! The plan for next year(Lord Willing!) would be to use RTR. Has anyone homeschooled through sickness? Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!
TIA--NHSM
I haven't had any long-term illnesses, but over the years, I've had several surgeries and been heavily medicated sometimes with kidney stones. However, these things have never kept me from homeschooling for any length of time.

I may not always have felt that great, but would do what I could for the day and move on. I tried not to stress about how much we weren't getting in, but rather believed that my kids were learning life lessons. For example, how they could help mom with cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. I could give directions from the couch and the kids were always proud of themselves that they were taking care of the house for mom. Even young children can help out with many tasks and it makes them feel good knowing they're helping mommy.

I don't know your circumstances and only you and dh know what is best, but I would at least try to keep homeschooling if you're feeling up to it. Sounds like you have a good plan. Even just spending hours on the couch reading to the dc and you reading to them is a very good thing.
Married 20 years to Warner.
Mom to Warner (17); Olivia (15); Isaac (11); Isabella (8)
Used Adventures 2007-08
Starting ECC Aug. 08
InfertilityMom

Unread post by InfertilityMom »

I have hardly posted here, or even checked the forums, in probably close to a year. Yesterday God promted me to come back and update my email address and check in again. I wasn't even sure what I was "looking for" here but really felt I needed to come back. My account was reactivated today and I just posted about our ECC year here, including how we handle my health limitations. Immediately after posted that, I just read your post and now I know why God wanted me back here. :)

I've lived with CFIDS (chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome) for nearly 18 years and the past year has been a significant relapse, so very hard. I've also entered a research study that has required what seems like a full-time job sometimes in medical testing and appointment schedules (and of course all that testing is in and of itself exhausting, not to mention time-consuming). I've questioned over and over and over if we are still where God wants us to be as far as homeschooling. (And though my husband, parents and in-laws have all been very gentle and encouraging, I know that they each have questioned more than once as well.) I've prayed, and I've wrestled and sometimes felt like giving up. And just when I think "I'm not giving them what they need!" God always sends some beautiful moment or breakthrough to remind me that yes, this is still exactly where He has called us. In my weakness, His strength shines brightest!

From a realistic standpoint, I look at my friends who send their children off to school and realize that there is physically a lot of work in getting them out the door each day, packing lunches, driving (if needed) to and from, being sure all the clothes and backpack and everything is set each day. These are all things I can do in a much more relaxed and physically/mentally less demanding way because we are at home. And homework!!! Many of these kids come home with as many hours of homework as we put into our whole school day, so while I might have a few semi-restful hours each day while the older kids are away, we would still be "schooling" in the afternoons/evening anyway, when none of us are fresh or at our best. And of course I couldn't just "send them off" as I would absolutely want to be in the classroom as much as possible.

So in the end, especially after talking with another friend who also has sever health strugges and has tried both home and traditional schooling alternatives, I truly believe that homeschooling is the least physically demanding choice we could make. No, it certainly isn't easy, and at times it seems absolutely overwhelming, but God continually provides for our needs and we are finding creative ways to accomplish what we need to do. I am learning to let go of feeling I need to "do it all" and set my goal to making sure my kids are learning, growing and "moving forward" with a fairly ballanced education and not stressing over the parts of the programs that we don't get done. Part of the beauty of this 5 year cycle is that I know each of the kids will have at least some of these units twice when they are at different levels of understanding, and that also helps me feel less preasure that we have to "get it all" this one time around.

I also really appreciate our local homeschool co-op, for even though it takes a lot out of me to go, by having my kids there one afternoon a week, 22 weeks out of the year, I know they are receiving other things I just don't have it in me to give them and they are learning and being blessed so this is a blessing to me![/url]

One of my favorite resources:
http://www.restministries.org/life/homeschool.htm
Rest Ministries is a HUGE organization that partners with other groups like Joni and Friends. It was started by a dear friend of mine, Lisa Copen, and has been amazing to watch God bless this ministry and use it to bless so many around the world who are struggling with chronic pain and health issues. The homeschool support branch is described like this:
  • "If you're a Christian parent who lives with chronic illness and you have also been "called" to homeschool, you've found a place to call home! We will encourage you, pray with you, motivate you and most of all, help you remember that God knows your limitations and wants you to find rest in the midst of sticky hands and math equations! Over 100 women participate on a daily basis, sharing prayer, ideas, recipes and lots more!"
I haven't been to that website in quite some time either, but maybe I should start posting again there too...
Jenni Saake, Nevada
after 10 years and 10 losses:
ds J. born 12/99 and dd R. 1/03, 1850s to Modern Times
ds J-Bear 1/06 finishing up K, looking toward 1st in early 2012
http://www.InfertilityMom.blogspot.com
Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) »

I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease last summer, so we knew even before starting this school year that I would have to remain flexible with available days and hours to homeschool. There are times that I have debilitating vertigo attacks and cannot even care for myself. It has affected my balance and my hearing. Praise God, I am getting better!

There have been instances when my dh has questioned my ability to continue homeschooling, but he knows that it is a desire of my heart, it is best for our dd, and that I truly believe it is God's will.

We don't have a set start time in the mornings. It would be nice if we did, but it's not necessary. Some mornings, I just can't do it. We had school today at 3:00 in the afternoon. So, we were done by dinner instead of done by lunch! It is not definitely not teaching my dd how to be on schedule, but it is teaching flexibility and how to make the most of a situation.

What I try my best to do each day is to read my Bible and pray before I ever get out of bed. Then I ease into the day and make sure dd has breakfast. She is allowed to watch educational dvd's and sometimes cartoons in the mornings until I'm ready to get going. We make sure beds are made and we're dressed and primped before school, although there is an occasional pajama day. When we get school done before lunch and then have quiet time in the afternoon, when she goes to her room with a stack of books and I go to mine for a nap, the day goes much more smoothly.

I don't believe I have any wisdom for you, except to pray and pray and pray, and know that you are not alone. The Lord is always with you and will not give you more than you can handle. (Sometimes I wish He didn't think so highly of me!) And there are others out there facing challenges and overcoming, just like you are. If you believe that it's God plan for you to teach your children next year, then trust Him to give you what you need to do it.

And please keep posting about it, because this thread was a huge encouragement to me.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL
Mommyto2

Unread post by Mommyto2 »

Praying for you as I write this note. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have had since I was little. Some days are bad and some are good.

Why I continue to homeschool? Many reasons but I want my children to know how God provides in illness and that illness doesn't mean we don't keep doing what we need to do. I don't know what your situation is and obviously there are times when we have to reassign responsibilities. I pray God would give you a peace about homeschool and public or private school or possibly other responsibilities could be reassigned. (cleaning lady? personal assistant who will run errands for you or grocery delivery?)

Lastly, I want to agree with:
From a realistic standpoint, I look at my friends who send their children off to school and realize that there is physically a lot of work in getting them out the door each day... And of course I couldn't just "send them off" as I would absolutely want to be in the classroom as much as possible.
My son was in public school last year and after school was a nightmare of hurrying and stressing. There was no time for anything because of the huge amount of homework which we never really seemed to get it all done like I would have wanted and after school sports schedules and trying to eat healthy which was almost impossible because there wasn't enough time left in the day.

Also he had to be on the bus in the morning at 7:15 a.m. which meant he had to wake up by 6:00 if I expected my late morning boy to be awake, dressed had breakfast and brushed his teeth before the bus came.

I suggest to make a list of what is difficult with having your children home with you and what would be difficult if they went away to school. Maybe make a list of the ways someone else could take some burdens off of your shoulders.

Oh, one more thing. I don't know if cost is an issue but public and private school can be expensive. I know my kids would have nicer clothes if they were in ps. We wear play clothes a lot because they are outside in the dirt almost every day and I swear every time I turned around last year my ds needed money in public school for something: snacks, field trips, selling wrapping paper, school project, books, classmates party, donate to the playground...

Ok, those are my scattered thoughts. I best start my school day. My prayers are with you.
Brenda
mom to ds 9 and dd 6
InfertilityMom

When All is Stripped Away

Not specifically about homeschooling, but I also wanted to share a recent post from one of my blogs that I pray will be an encouragement to everyone on this thread as well. Thanks all, for opening up about our challenges and God's provisions. I look forward to getting to know you more and sharing our journies together. {{{hugs}}}

Here's my blog post:
When All is Stripped Away
Jenni Saake, Nevada
NewHomeSchoolMarm

Your thoughts are well received

Unread post by NewHomeSchoolMarm »

Great points about the difficulties of school, they are all on target. The grass always seems greener--but when you walk over they have brown spots too! So glad to have made some new friends with this trial (another gem!).

This thread has really gotten me started on a few good things that I would love to share with you. Firstly, I am amazed-truly, how many families are struggling with illness while homeschooling. And to that I say-of course, duh! Why should my family be exempt from this trial? This knowledge has spurred very good conversations between dh and myself. I am being clear about my desire and passion to homeschool. It is something that keeps me going (h'schooling) and gets me out of bed these days! Does that sound horrible?! My girls are learning some awesome life lessons and so is dh and so am I for that matter. He did tell me to order the curriculum for next year and to plan as I do for the summer, and we'll see... DH is working from home since I have been ill, homeschooling the girls in the morning and working from home, and caring for me. Needless to say he is not a happy camper. We laugh about the changes, because both he and I know that God is in control and will direct our lives as He sees fit.

NHSM
Married to the best DH -Sorry Ladies!
Mom of two Eves 4 & 8
MFWK, Adv., ECC & MFW Pre-K, WP QFA & Son. CoreB, RTR.
Visit my blog: www.4pacademy.blogspot.com
Cyndi (AZ)

I had an awful day yesterday. But I got incredible news from my doc. After the exam and tests, he believes that I am improving and should be seeing the end of these vertigo attacks. I am so overwhelmed, I can't even speak about it. I am so thankful to the ladies on this board that have prayed for me, and am so awed by the power of God. I will continue to pray for the others on this thread. God is good - all the time.
mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh »

byhisgrace wrote:This will be my first year using ECC and am looking forward to it tremendously!!! I have five beautiful blessings and two will be formally homeschooling and the other 3 (4 and under) will do some preschool stuff and tag along with my older two 9 and 11 year old.

I was just wondering if there are others out there homeschooling with chronic health issues. I do use a schedule, but some days can't do a whole lot because of extreme fatigue. How do others juggle their busy home life when they face physical challenges? I know I have this idea in my mind, and alot of times it doesn't look like that because of my health. The Lord must have something else in mind that he is wanting me to learn how to rest in. Anyway, I'm looking forward to being a part of this MFW family!!

By His Grace Alone,
Susan
I do not have an chronic illness but I have a two dd one with aspergers and one with fairly significant medical issues. Here is what I do. Maybe something will help.

1. We school year round so that if we have to take a day off we do. Like this week we did one day of school. I do not have to stress because I have 365 days to do school.

2. we do short spurts of school 10 to 15 minutes then a break. Then 10-15 minutes and a break. Our breaks are about as long as school but sometimes older dd needs longer break.

3. Mfw is so flexible it works with our busy schedule. We have 4 to 5 appointments a week and it manage to get it done.

4. Have your dc do chores to help with housework. Even my 3 year old makes her bed, empties the dishwasher, helps daddy clean a bathroom, cleans her room, sets the table and water the flowers. My oldest does the same plus a couple of extra. Have them do chores when your tired and need a rest. Then when your rest is done do school or go check their work. At first chores are more work for you but once they know what they are doing they can be done on own. Have your husband help teach chores. Chore charts with stickers and a small reward work wonders. Not just with the kids but help me to be consistent.

5. Another suggestion have your older children do school for the younger while you rest. Also they could teach younger ones how to do chores.

6. Figure out the have-tos of school then do the other stuff only if you are up to it or the older children can organize and do it themselves.

7. Have the dc come to you while you rest to do math/whatever else.

8. Have your husband do the read alouds/math/or whatever else he is good at.

I am out of suggestions. I hope something helps and I sure other people will chime in with suggestions.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR
Cyndi (AZ)

Oh, Mike! Wonderful answers! I'm so tired out today, I'm crying just reading your encouraging words. DH and I just had a talk last night about separating the "have tos" from the "extras" -- good advice.
lisa062797

Unread post by lisa062797 »

I have MS, and the fatigue that comes with it. I'm pregnant right now, so the symptoms disappear during that time, but of course, pregnancy fatigue is a whole 'nother story! LOL! Mike has given some great advice. There has definitely been times I've homeschooled from the couch. If I'm feeling particularly run down, we'll just save the more energy-consuming activities for when I'm feeling up to it. We have also decided to school year-round this coming school year, because we like the flexibility of taking time off when we need it. I also like the idea of dh helping with some of the other things if I can't get to them. There have been times when I have had him do some of the science experiments with ds, or explained the meaning of certain patriotic songs or American history to him, because he is just better at that than I am. :-) Another thing that has really helped is making sure to get started on school right away after breakfast, even if I don't feel like it. We're almost always done by lunch time, and after that is the kids' naptime. Then I can get basic chores done and get some rest if I need to, and the rest of the day is free!
Lisa in MN
Wife to Nick
Mom to
Vincent (11) Completed MFWK, MFW1, ADV, ECC, CtoG, RtR, and currently in EX1850
Andrew (6) Completed MFWK, and currently in 1st
Isaac (4) Currently enjoying MFW preschool toys
byhisgrace

Unread post by byhisgrace »

I am sooo thankful for all of you guys suggestions. Thanks Mike for the practicals. You reminded of what I'm trying to do with the young ones as far as training them to do chores. I haven't been consistent with them lately. I'm encouraged to know that other folks are out there doing what they feel that the Lord has called them to do, even with challenges. Thanks for the encouragement!!

By His Grace Alone,
Susan
JohnsWife

Unread post by JohnsWife »

I have MS as well so I am finding these suggestions helpful. My girls are pretty good about knowing when Mama isn't feeling good. Right now it works pretty well for us but I am worried about the future.(when school days will be much longer)
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it. -- C.S. Lewis
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

JohnsWife wrote:I am worried about the future.(when school days will be much longer)
I would not stress over the future. I am guessing that teaching younger children takes much more mom time than olders (well, in most cases). Kids gradually want more independence, & your role becomes more of a conversation leader -- encouraging them to think deeper, etc. Much easier to do at bedside :o)

Blessings,
Julie
P.S. More encouragement: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5628
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
AES

Unread post by AES »

Hi Susan,
I have been away from the board as we are preparing for a local move. However, I have been diagnosed with a chronic illness that the doctor informed me, was everywhere. Imagine trying to give directions or explain something to your children when you can only get 2 words out at a time before becoming winded!
I think having a schedule is a great, just remember to be flexible. It is vitally important for me to keep my stress level down. I found myself becoming stressed out if our school day didn't go according to my plan.
So, I trust if the Lord has lead me to homeschool, He is going to equip me to do it, however unusual it may appear to me or in comparison to others.
I also have dh and all of the children help out as they can (cooking, cleaning, etc.). With regard to schooling, my 6- and 8-year-olds work rather independently, if possible. If one doesn't know how to spell a word, the other will answer. They read the directions orally before working on an exercise. I still teach, but allow the girls to help each other as they can.
We don't necessarily do a lot of activities that may be too intensive for me. When I do teach, I try to incorporate various methods, and from different perspectives, which reduces my teaching time overall.
If I am working with one child, then the other has a break with the 2-year- old. Sometimes, dh or my oldest (18) will try to keep the 2 y/o occupied. Sometimes, the 2 y/o just has to sit on the end table and we just have to work around that. Sometimes we start our school day in the a.m., sometimes in the p.m. And every room in our house is likely to be a schoolroom; I teach from my bed and have the girls bring their books to me, I teach from the couch, and I even read during bathtime!
I also prefer to get a subject done before giving breaks (that doesn't always happen), because there are times when we lose our momentum. If we only get one or two subjects done that day, well, it may be one of those 'good enough' days. And we may just focus on being a servant for that day.
Oh, we carschool as well (those audio CDs are wonderful!).
Well, if you have made it through this super long post, you have an idea of what we do in our home.

Blessings to you and welcome to MFW,
Amy E.
sarajoy

Unread post by sarajoy »

I, myself, have had struggles and my husband has had multiple surgeries in the past 4 years. The best advice anyone ever gave to me was to remind me about how much our kids learn through life experiences. My kids are more sensitive to those that are wound and hurting because of what dh has gone through. Just to remind you, your kids are learning all the time, so just keep your lights shining!!

Blessings,
SJ
InfertilityMom

Checking in on everyone

Cyndi, any updates?
NHSM, how about you?
Mommyto2?
mom2woii?
Anyone else?

I hope to get a few more weeks of K in over the summer in an easy-going way with our daughter, since we kind of have let that slide the last few months as she's participated in more and more ECC. But she's not reading yet so she still really needs the K foundation. I am seeing more and more reading "readiness" and interest from her, so I think she could make some big strides this summer as I give her schooling a bit more attention. The baby (well, he's 2 1/2) is loving the "A, a, apple" song and starting to pick up more and more of his letters too. It's the lullaby he always wants to be sung at naptime! :D

We are doing our last week of ECC this week. Our son will also continue doing a bit of math through the summer, but on a very relaxed schedule. And all the kids are participating in a reading challenge through our local library, so we are doing a ton of reading! We finished reading Gladys Aylward last night and I'm sad to be out of missionary biographies!

It's an "OK" week physically, but the kids are getting anxious to be done since all of our neighbors are home from school now. We just put grass in our back yard this weekend, so I've got to keep them off of it for 2 weeks while it roots, but they are having a blast with the hose up on the deck in the meantime. I don't do well physically in the heat, so I'm kind of dreading summer for that reason, but it's just nice enough to let them have a blast outside right now and I've got the bedroom door slider to the backyard open so I can stay in and shaded and still let them play. I think it will be a good summer for us all. :)
Jenni Saake, Nevada
Cyndi (AZ)

Hi Jenni! I really enjoyed reading your update. Sounds like your kids are having so much fun. Your story is inspiring. I planned to go all out with school for the last few weeks, but we've missed so many days lately . . . But the times we do have school are so special. My dd has learned so much this year. I keep telling myself "some people stop at Day 125 of MFW1 and don't even go this far!" HA! It keeps me encouraged that we have already done a lot, and we will finish to the end this month, so I can be "proud" of that. I'm feeling much better on a day-to-day basis, but still have moments where I just don't have my balance. The hearing in my left ear stabilized at about 50% loss, but I hear well from my right ear - it's just the constant buzzing that bothers me sometimes. The toughest part for me is that there is no "school at my bedside," because if I need to lay down, I need peace, and there's no way that I could focus to read because to me the book looks like it's spinning! I have so much to be thankful for, though - I am so, so much better now, and I have a wonderful supportive family. Even my mom, who was a public school teacher, believes that I am fully capable of homeschooling my dd (and even that I'm good at it! :-)) We're all looking forward to the summer break. As long as my allergies stay under control and I keep getting stronger, this is going to be a very fun filled summer! Sorry for rambling -- it was just so nice to have someone ask. {HUG}
NewHomeSchoolMarm

Updates

Hi Friends,

I haven't written in a while, because I've been waiting for updates on my health to share. Praise God! I met with a top doctor at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital NYC and after all the testing and review , he feels certain that he can help me. My DH was sooooo relieved and happy. Long story short, I am scheduled for surgery this upcoming Wednesday, July 9th. When I can, I will let you all know how it went. Thanks for your thoughts, prayers, and posts.

Blessings,

NHSM
Mom of two Eves 4 & 8
InfertilityMom

How wonderful that you have found a doctor who believes he can help! I'm going to mark your surgery on my calander right now and will be praying.

As for my update, I'm so glad we are taking a summer break. The heat and the smoke (from the 1500 CA fires that blows into Reno and gets stuck in our "bowl" between all these mountains) is really taking a toll on me. I'm needing about 13 hours a sleep per day and still really DRAGGING even on that. I'm also in so much pain that when the kids even touch me I just want to cry. So far we haven't done any of the K work I was hoping to do with our daughter this summer.
Jenni Saake, Nevada
Cyndi (AZ)

That's great news, NHSM! I'm making a note of your surgery date as well.

Jenni, I was just thinking about you yesterday. Now I know why. I'm praying for you.

I'm doing fairly well lately. The "bouts" seem to come in spurts, but I've had good balance the last week. I'm definitely getting better. Dealing with these allergies is the toughest battle, but at least it's not setting my ear off. I'm so much better than this time last year, I have to be happy about that!
InfertilityMom

Cyndi (WA) wrote:I'm so much better than this time last year, I have to be happy about that!
I'm sure the "bouts" are still frustrating, but it is encouraging to look at the overall picture and see improvement - yeah!!! Sorry to hear about the allergies but glad they aren't triggering more ballance issues right now. Thank you for the prayers.
Jenni Saake, Nevada
NewHomeSchoolMarm

Hi Friends....

I spent this afternoon re-reading our thread and what an abundance of wisdom is to be found on MFW Boards. Well, thanks so much for all the warm wishes, prayers, and thoughts--I felt them the day of my surgery. It will be two weeks tomorrow since my surgery and everyone is amazed at my speedy recovery. Answered prayer it is!!!! From start to finish all went beautifully, I am still in awe of God and how he works. I meet with my Dr. next week to discuss surgery, progress and future plans, but I just wanted to let you all know I am well!!!! Praise God and Friends.

NHSM
Mom of two Eves 4 & 8
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

thanks for update!

-crystal
InfertilityMom

NHSM, praise the Lord!!!
I wanted to get online the day of your surgery and post, but I was pretty sick that week and didn't make it here. But yes, we were praying and it is such an encouragement to hear how well you are doing!!! :D You brightened my day just by posting. :)
Jenni Saake, Nevada
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

Oh, thank you for telling us the end of the story! Always like an extra opportunity to praise God for his tender mercies.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs