Encouragement - When stressed, discouraged

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Julie in MN

Re: Today - I'm certain that I am not organized enough

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:46 am

HeyChelle wrote:Today we finished school at 7 PM. I've read over Marie's nice and tight schedule in the front of the books twice a day each day this week and then just roll around laughing at myself - in a completely insane kind of way. This is the year that I just might lose my mind - and I still only have 2 kids officially in homeschool since the "baby" is still in preschool.
It's hard to tell what "finished school at 7" means, but if you're spending more than 4 hours on school for the K-3 set, or more than 6 hours for the 4-8 set, I think we should brainstorm how to pare things down for you.

A few random things come to mind:

- try to spend about 10 minutes in the morning getting everything out that your manual shows you need that day, and even having a pad of sticky tabs to mark the pages in each book

- make sure you cross out all "advanced" activities so you don't get into those and forget the younger activities

- when I would get out of sync, I used to keep an old junk mail envelope with a running list of priorities to not forget for the day

- create a tote box for any odds and ends you might need for science or art in the next few weeks, and allowing the kids to do those things on weekends or after the basics are done for the day, which sometimes can keep all the kids busy while you get other things done

- sometimes skipping book work instead of some of the hands-on, since "busywork" for the younger set actually tends to be the paperwork rather than, say, playing the geography game, especially since you can corral all the kids into a game or an activity more than you can a map or geography page

- do the basics and add what you can and know that you're accomplishing more in history, science, music, art, foreign language, and literature than a public school teacher possibly can (I can tell you stories)

Best wishes during this challenging time in your life. It will get easier :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:47 am

HeyChelle wrote:You always make me smile. Where do you get all your energy from? Two trips to the gym? Go you!
The motivation comes from being the group exercise teacher. They pay me. ;) it's a combo class of cardio, strength and stretch. get it all - latin feel, kickbox, knee lifts, etc. all at low impact, high intensity
The energy - I fake it on some days, and on others, the energy in the class keeps me going.
then, there's last week.... no one showed up for class, so I went with some people from the previous class to get some coffee. aw, it was so cute... it was their 45th wedding anniversary! our entire class went from the fitness center down a few doors to the coffee shop. No carbs -- just coffee and celebrating Randy and Diane!

oh yeah, I was going to give some tips. Julie's are good. I vaguely remember the days where oldest and middle gal had to get all of their MFW stuff done (except evening read alouds) in between taking youngest child to group preschool 5 days a week!

Now I am NOT the organized person that you are. Seriously... come photo shop my house. It's horrible right now and lacks the blog worthy furniture.
I found that if I got stuff done in small spurts it was all good.

I took the time on most days to glance at all things for that day. That way I knew what needed to get done even if it wasn't in traditional ways.

other goofy things - when youngest was home, that added a weird element to the day. I learned to work around it. This will vary from person to person.... between cleaning or teaching... teaching.

and Julie's right..... it gets easier. This is a harder season. it's ok to skip some stuff. but skip the extra worksheet in favor of playing a game/doing activity.

let's hope today is a better day. :)

(just keep swimming swimming swimming) (someone had to say it!)

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:06 am

Praise God for Fridays. Praise God for Fridays.

Julie - it's not that we are schooling all the day. It's just that it gets all dragged out due to interruptions like lunch and phone calls. Usually I can avoid the phone calls, but my grandmother is in the hospital so some calls had to be taken. And then there is our late start to the school day - something I have been struggling with for years now.

I need help getting out of bed in the morning. The harder I pray to get up early, the later I sleep and more tired I am. This is soooo obviously a spiritual battle at this point. Funny thing --> when I remember to pray before bed specifically about getting up early, I am woke up with an intense nightmare around 7:30. It's like God is using that to wake me up. Be careful what you pray for?
I would like to be up at 7 AM - that's not even really that early. If I was up at 7, we could start school at 8:30 and be done earlier - even if the day gets stretched out. But I have never been a morning person and as much as I want to get up and get our day started earlier, it's not happening. As it is we aren't even starting school until 10 AM. Ugh. Anyway. I know we will get there at some point. Right now I'm still struggling to find the balance of getting ENOUGH sleep after so many years of major sleep deprivation and getting up in the morning. I went 8 years of nursing children (some with food allergies tandem nursing through the night) and not sleeping through the night even 5 times. And now I could go to bed at 10 PM and sleep until 10 AM everyday - if someone else would just watch the kids! LOL
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:31 am

HeyChelle wrote:But I have never been a morning person and as much as I want to get up and get our day started earlier, it's not happening. As it is we aren't even starting school until 10 AM. Ugh. Anyway. I know we will get there at some point. Right now I'm still struggling to find the balance of getting ENOUGH sleep after so many years of major sleep deprivation and getting up in the morning. I went 8 years of nursing children (some with food allergies tandem nursing through the night) and not sleeping through the night even 5 times. And now I could go to bed at 10 PM and sleep until 10 AM everyday - if someone else would just watch the kids! LOL
I personally think it's more productive to work with who you are than to try and change yourself. Being a late person is not wrong. Thank goodness that we have folks who can work at night, everywhere from hospitals to road construction so traffic isn't stopped during rush hour.

So how to work with who you are? Is there a way to make breakfast more portable or quick? Can some morning routines wait until after school, or at a good breaking point mid-morning? Are there things you can prep in advance? I personally like to ideally reserve school hours for school tasks only, including correcting, recording, and prep.

There are some good scheduling threads around here from moms of many, too. Maybe I'll add some links to my post when I'm home later, in case something in there works at your house.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:37 am

Just a couple of thoughts...

I know you have your nice "shelf" to store your curriculum in... but have you considered working out of a basket? That's what I do - no pressure to put it back on the shelf "just so" (I used to do that, but I have found as I've added more kids, a basket just works better). Put books in order that they will be used, and grab them and do the lesson, then put it back in the basket. At the end of the day (or in our case, end of the week as my dh doesn't care if the living room is messy until Friday), the basket goes in the corner on a small table where I keep such things. I just can see you trudging over to pull the book out, then getting back up to put it back, and then you have to get your kid(s) refocused on to the next subject. But, maybe your shelf is just right there. But, it is just an idea. The basket can easily be set on the floor while you do lunch.

Second thing, have you had your vitamin D checked? Your thyroid? Seems to me that your body is low on something to be needing that much sleep even after being sleep deprived. (Believe me, I have twins, I know how sleep deprived you can get and how it feels to need sleep.) If you never been a "morning" person, what time have you gotten up in the past? Maybe that is more realistic. Now, if the kids are getting up way early... we taught ours to stay in their rooms until the clock says whatever time we've picked for them.

That's all for now... and more {Hugs}

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:41 am

oh, wait, Trish typed at the same time as me....

agreeing with Julie -- if all else permits, you don't have to be a morning person :)

I'm going to give some general advice here....

*this time of year, it is HARDER to get up. I'm a morning person.
*with less sunshine out there, make sure your nutrition and vitamin and mineral needs are there.
*you're under a LOT of outside stress with grandma, school, etc. so make sure you get some destressors in your life every day. There is spiritual stuff (quiet time, devotions, similar). There is good nutrition. There are supplements to help our bodies. (edit to add.... listen to Trish on this one! It might be more of a real honest physical medical battle than a "spiritual" issue.

*find a way for a "sunshine" break each day there is some sun.
*you may be taking longer than other years to "get over" the stupid clock change! It comes later every year and it takes longer..... grumble....

It's ok that not everything has been "ideal" or blog worthy.

-crystal

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Gosh - you guys are the best with all your great ideas. We are running out the door to our first ever homeschool park day! I will come back and re-read later. Just wanted to post a quick thank you for the replies. mwuah!

Thyroid - I'm hypo and on armour. Good to go with my numbers right now - actually feeling the best that I have in a long, long time. I spent a few years very sick and run down between horribly sick pregnancies and my needy kids (food allergy stuff). Feeling better than I have in years, but still heeling and recovering - for sure. Gave up all grains and most all sugar at the beginning of 2011 and that was the best thing ever for me. Taking vit D - need to get better at remembering. Taking it right now so thanks for reminding me!

Not being a morning person - trouble is my kids ARE! My 9 yo gets up, makes her breakfast and often breakfast for the youngest AND finishes her math and reading before I ever even begin to wake up. She is even up before dh or my public school step-dd. All my kids wake up before me and that means I have to squeeze in a quiet time while they are already up and playing/eating breakfast. Honestly, I feel like it's just not working. I've tried to work with who I am and am finally at the point were I want to change. I will probably never be up and ready before my 9 yo - early bird that she is - but I do want to be up and dressed to the nines (never feel good going through the day not dressed) and done with my quiet time by 8 AM.

Back to read more and ponder. Thank you so much for your wonderful response to my negative out pour!!!

SarahP

Unread post by SarahP » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:51 pm

Have you thought of having a slightly early lunch and then just start school afterwards? You could use morning for leisure wake up, devotional time, chores etc. Eat lunch, clean up and then pull all the school stuff out and keep it out until you are done.

Sarah

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:54 pm

It's also totally ok to have "quiet time" at night when the kids go to sleep. It's ok to have special time like that during middle of the day.

Rejoicing with you about you 9 y.o! You're doing a good job.

(anyone else suddenly reminded of the story that david hazell tells about how different he and marie are in terms of mornings vs. nights and how he wasn't expecting to start school at 8! LOL LOL

it's ok Chelle....

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:15 am

OK so I moved things around in the homeschool cabinet. One of the problems that showed up when we moved from Adventures to ECC is the extra notebooks and books that came with ECC. Plus I had all the Hero Tales, etc. in there. I pulled all the 101 Geography books + Hero Tales and Kingdom tales out into a cubby. And I pulled an empty cubby from a closet and will use that to gather all the supplies for the day. So we'll try the basket trick for a week or so. Here's to hoping! lol Now I just need to find a home for these two cubbies. I hate having stuff on the floor that has to be vacuumed around. Currently they are sitting at the top of the stairs that go to my room - safety hazzard? Probably. I give the kids a day before they knock the cubby and all the books down the stairs. My brain prefers closed storage!

I am thankful for my open floor plan home. I am thankful for my open floor plan home. I am thankful for a kitchen/dining area to school in. I am thankful for a kitchen/dining area to school in.
Repeat. I am thankful. Really. Just being a brat. ha!

sandi

Unread post by sandi » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi there,
Just wanted to pop in while I have a moment, which is rare, and try and encourage you. :) I have been homeschooling my kiddos now for ten years. This is our 11th. Praise Jesus! I have four kiddos like yourself. Their ages are 15,13,10,and 3yrs. I wanted to give you alittle background before I begin.

You are doing an awesome job! You are investing in your children, whether you feel organized or not. It is good for me to type these things, because I am also feeling a bit drained today. When I feel this way, I have to back up and remember why I am doing this? I am doing this because I know with all my heart that the Lord has called me to do this! He gives us all things pertaining to life and godliness! He gives me the strength to continue when I don't want too. There are many days that I don't want too! There are many days that I absolutely love it! It is hard, but very rewarding. Rewarding when my kiddos learn something new about Jesus. Rewarding when they see Gods hand in science. When they see His hand in history. When things get hard with family like sickness,my uncle passed away in September and my grandmother was in the hospital last week too, school for those weeks sometimes turns out too be the trial itself. The Lord is teaching me continually that He has my week planned out wayyyyy before I do. ;) During those hard times I am able to teach the kids that life is hard, and we have to press so much into our Lord all the time. That has been our school here lately. I'm not saying forget the books, I just have to breathe when some days all we got done was math. I looked back since September too see just how much we have gotten done and almost went off the deep end. ARGHHH :~ But the Lord reminded me that we learned how to take care of hurting family, the power in prayer, and His mercy in all circumstances. None of this may make sense to you. I am writing this to myself too.

Today is a plan day for me. Sooo, I am feeling your pain. Even after homeschooling for so long I am continually tweaking things and making changes. I think that is just part of it. You do what works for that season and that year with your kids ages. No two years of my homeschool journey have looked the same! Nada! Not one! Its okay to have to go back to the drawing board and relook at some things. You are very organized. I have taken your motivated moms idea and downloaded that. :) See, you are doing a good job and being encouraging to others too.

Have had that thyroid thing too. Not fun!! You take as much time as you need to rest and exercise, I know that if I neglect these things I CANNOT TAKE CARE OF MY FAMILY, NOR HOMESCHOOL!!!!! Exercise is a great relief of stress. I can't miss it or I will get sick. I can't go without sleep or I get a migraine. If you need the sleep, then take it. Do school when you get up and continue until you are done. Some of our days are long too. Especially with a highschooler now in WHL. You have taught your daughter to be independent in some things, that is great!!! Don't feel guilty for needing extra rest. This is where you are, and the Lord knows that. It is a growing process for you as well. (and me)

The last thing I would say is this. Spend lots of time with Jesus!!! Before anything else, this is what keeps my strength up and keeps me going. When I neglect this then allllll falllls down the tubes!!!!! He is my all in all!! He is growing me and my kids everyday. Don't throw the towel in. He is molding you and your children. Make sure your devotions with the kids are a major priority too. Not trying to lecture you, just saying what I am learning and have learned.

Hang in there friend!!! The Lord will give you the grace you need to continue when you want to put your resignation on your husbands desk!!ha ha Mine has been there many times before. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
His Child,
Sandi

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:22 pm

That was a lovely post Sandi. I'm reading it again. And probably again tomorrow, too.
Thank you.

Buttercup78

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:26 pm

More encouragement here. We are also in an 180-day state. We have 44 days in as of today. We are starting Week 5 of ECC. We WILL NOT finish the curriculum, I guarantee you, but we will get in our 180 days.

We have a Keepers of the Faith club that meets twice a month - if little or no school gets done that day, our club time gets counted as school.
If 1/2 of a "day" of school (according to the grid) gets done, it's still a school day.
Field trip = school day
Community service (volunteer at rescue mission, Christmas caroling at the nursing home, etc) = school day
Bible, Math and Language done = school day

We do our read-alouds at bedtime. Last year we skipped it altogether. Your school day is what YOU decide it is, not necessarily what is on the grid for the day. When you have multiple children, you usually need to make adjustments. I am schooling 2 this year, but will have a 3rd next year.

We normally start school at 10:00. Sometimes 11:00. Would I like it to be earlier? YES. If it doesn't happen, oh well. We just keep moving forward, wherever we are.

In their free time, my children prefer to build LEGO's or read books. Is this educational? YES. I don't feel bad if the 'scheduled' stuff doesn't happen the way it's scheduled. Two years ago I went through cancer treatment. We did about half of our curriculum. (Granted, my children were not 'reporting-age' yet). I don't feel bad about it. My kids are home with me where God and I feel they belong and they are productive. God bless you as you and God figure out how to adjust and make it all work for you!
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

psalm126mama

I need help! or encouragement! or something!

Unread post by psalm126mama » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:21 pm

juliana1977 wrote:I have hit the wall.
I have been homeschooling our oldest since birth, although this is our first year with MFW. We are using Adventures.
We are in week 20 (although about 1/2, soon to be a full week behind). I don't know what to do. It was going fine. Now I'm feeling overwhelmed and awful. Art is a disaster, English is hated, Reading is drudgery. We haven't been to the library in weeks and I owe them a huge fine. Don't even ask me about the Louisiana Purchase Debacle, I still can't talk about it.

I know it must be possible, because most of the posts I read are from people with more kids than me, doing just great with all aspects of the curriculum and loving every minute of it. Am I the lone loser out here who stinks at homeschooling?

I've been looking into alternatives for next year: private school is too expensive, there is one slot open for next year's 3rd grade at the magnet school. If we get that, I may send her, although everytime i think about it I just want to cry. I don't know if I can keep doing this, though.

If we decide to homeschool, I will be doing 3rd grade and kindergarten, plus we have a toddler and a baby due in august. I'm not sure I can pull it off.
I'm sad and confused and discouraged and overwhelmed. I don't know what to do. Any sage advice?
I can hear the pain in your words... I have no wise words as I am just beginning on this homeschool journey, but I just said a prayer for you, for God to give you wisdom on how to proceed and encouragement...
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

cbollin

Re: I need help! or encouragement! or something!

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:46 pm

ok.. I have to share Todd Wilson cartoon classics.

go here
http://thehomeschoolcorner.blogspot.com ... toons.html

scroll to the 3rd one..... That Was Bible Time!

just saying'....... been there done that... laughing too

(ps... not an endorsement of the blog. I don't know the person... just wanting to show that specific Todd cartoon)

BHelf

Unread post by BHelf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Just wanted you to know you aren't alone. I promise there are hardly any days that go by that I don't wish to send my daughter to school. I wrote a post on it recently at my blog in my signature line. Might even be the last post I wrote. (Not very good at keeping that blog up even though I really want to.)
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:39 pm

(((Hugs)))

Where do you live? I always call February the month of the 'blues'. I actually feel quite happy and energetic this year this month, but I do think of February as the month school drags. I thought it when I was in college. I thought it when I taught piano for 8 years and wanted to quit every single February because of student attitudes in February. I have thought it about home schooling every single February. So I will be back to read [this thread of] encouragement; I can always use a pick me up in February. I do love the fact the Robin Red Breast showed up this morning. It made my day. It means that spring is coming. The flowers popping up last week helped too.

More attempts at encouragement....

My children are 8,6,5, & 3. It isn't easy at these ages. Maybe it will never be easy, I don't know. I do know it is a lot easier than 1 year ago, and a billion times easier than 2 years ago. It isn't easy homeschooling with these ages; is it?

My reasons for continuing to homeschool on the difficult days:
I don't want to send them to school when it comes down to the bottom line; sometimes I think I do, or think I should.
15 minutes of Bible first thing in the morning at a private school isn't enough Bible.
School attitudes are more than I want to handle in my own kids (private & public both bring attitudes that I used to see in my piano students daily).
I can not afford private school, and public for me isn't an option due to the current religious position of the public schools.

BUT the real main reason - I Love them, and for some crazy reason I really do think this is the best option I can come up with for their education. Sharing the Bible with my kids throughout the day and through their curriculum means more to me than anything else that I have ever done.

I hope something I said helped. Hang in there. Keep going.

I think the day I realized that my commitment to home school had really grown was the day I realized that instead of thinking of sending them to school, I found myself instead thinking how I don't want to send them to school.

Prayers for you.

And believe me I have had plenty of difficult days home schooling. You are not alone in this at all. Like the one when I actually drove them to the private school parking lot and debated going in, or the day I sat at the computer crying looking up private schools, or those days when it just seems impossible to get them to do what we are supposed to do. One thing I have had to realize is that I can not homeschool alone and I need God's strength to do it.

Oh, the kids just burst in the door so excited that they found some worms for Mr. Robin Red breast. Don't you love home schooling? At moments like this I sure do.
Last edited by gratitude on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Oh, Juli! Just hang in there! I know how you're feeling, because I'm feeling that way myself. It truly must be something about this time of year or something. The mid-year blues or something. I don't know. What I do know is that I've just been so tired lately. Don't know why. And I'm not even pregnant or anything! Which makes you even more tired! :-)

It sounds like you may need to just take a bit of a break...certainly in some subjects...maybe in everything. It's okay to skip some things. Just X them off your schedule and say, "No, we won't be doing that activity," and know that it's okay. Some things, your kids will get again later, so if you skip them now, it won't be a big deal. Today, we skipped art and science. Our day started late, and it was running long, and I'm tired. So, we skipped art and science. I may try moving them to tomorrow, or I may just skip them altogether.

If you're having a rough day, but taking a break isn't an option, just do the subjects that are most important. Be sure to spend time on Bible. That's the most important one! Maybe try to do math, and read a book that is fun. Then call it a day.

If there are certain subjects that you and your child both find to be drudgery right now, try to find a way to make that subject more fun for a little while. Do your English orally, and maybe try to make a game out of it. Drop any kind of analysis or activity in reading for now, let your child pick a book of interest to him/her and just let him/her read that for reading time. Take a break from art lessons and just draw or paint for fun...or drop it altogether for awhile.

You CAN do this! If God has called you to do it, He will equip you for it. Just take each day one day at a time. Do what you can for that day and don't feel bad about what you can't or don't do.

Be encouraged, Juli! Take some time off if you need to to rest and recharge. Spend some time in God's Word. I'll be praying for you!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

juliana1977

Unread post by juliana1977 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Thanks, everybody for that encouragement...It helps a lot just to know that I'm not the only one. ;)

I will try to take to heart what you said, and I'll have to come back to re-read in more detail a little later.

Just wanted to say thanks.
Juli, married to Mike for 10 years
Calah-8, Sariah-4, Eli-16 mos, Surprise!-Due Aug 3

♥nbamaboyz

Unread post by ♥nbamaboyz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:52 pm

I accidently deleted my post but in a nutshell
Those days attack here too, one day I'm certain I should drag ds to the Board Of Education
& say he's so smart & I'm so sorry I've made a mess of his learning, can yall fix him.....
you know those days where they just look at you like a deer in the headlights & can't remember anything you've taught all week? BUT then there are the days where hes a sponge, that I'm certain we can do this & he's sure to be the next rocket scientist!

I've found myself praying (no it was whining lol) to God many times about this roller coaster
& oneday it was like He showed me that He deals with this very thing everyday ~we adults are the same way,
oneday we say/do what we should & then a day later we are like the deer stunned like we've lost our way.
I've really tried to have more patience when my kiddos are having their "deer days"
But it really helps knowing other have "deers" too LOL
most of my friends ps so I knw it's easy to feel alone in this.
David Hazell's workshops are awesome the way God works with the reality & humor of it all! I want to get the set!!
♥ when talks about the mom telling the kids to hurry get dressed dads home!

We had a great day today but lol tomorrow I may be back here reading all yalls posts for me!
HUGS! Don't ever think you are alone

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Juli,

More cyber {hugs} going your way.

I'm thinking of James 1 where it says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."

And then, Psalm 55 says, "Cast thy burdens upon the Lord, and He will sustain you. He will never suffer the righteous to be moved."

And, Hebrews 13:5 says, "I will never leave you, nor forsake you."

I always feel overwhelmed when I start thinking of next year instead of just focusing on this day. And I get overwhelmed every year. And guess what? When I trust God, cry out to Him, pray to Him and ask for His wisdom, He always gives it. It's not always what I want to do. It's not how I plan it. But it works because it is from Him. I have 2 with dyslexia, and 2 are twins. My days are LONG. I must work one on one for English, Math, Spelling, and Reading. Those subjects plus Bible are our mornings. Then, in the afternoon we try to get History, Science, and the art/music done. Days are LONG. I would much rather be done at noon (and very occasionally, God blesses us and we do finish at noon), but I have come to accept that this is what God has for me right now. Tomorrow may be different. But for now, this is how it is. And I keep praying and trusting God for it all.

Now, you are also pregnant and have lots of hormones coursing through you, so I would probably bet that some of your feelings are due to that. And I'm guessing you're not sleeping great, and lack of sleep affects us. And then, taking care of all those littles - that's just lots of hard work. When do we squeeze in those times in God's word anyway?!?!? If you have an understanding dh, ask him if you can go Saturday morning to Mc D's or some other place where you can have an extended quiet time with no interruptions. Maybe just an hour to spend time with God over a hot chocolate and soak in His blessings and love for you. Then, ask him to let you nap Saturday and Sunday. If you don't take care of you, it is very hard to take care of those littles.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:06 am

Juli - I feel like that so much - I've learned to give myself permission to tweak to make it work for us. Kids are different. What works for one doesn't for another. Babies and pregnancy make things tough too. I have my 7 & 11 year old that I homeschool, which seems like it should be a breeze looking at the larger families that I know that homeschool. But all of us are different. I have a grandbaby on the way, 2 boys in college and a daughter in culinary school. I tutor 2 children, and babysit 3 (2 of them toddlers), just because we need the money! All of these things mean that my homeschool doesn't look like the manual - and it has to be pretty creative sometimes. But - truth told - I love it - I keep relying on God to get me through the tough days. I come up with new ways to squeeze education, chores, work, and family in the same span of time - and my kids are learning - even though I worry that I am going to hold them back. It is so evident with all of the kids that come over after school and the 2 that I tutor. They are learning so much - life itself is a good teacher - and God helps us find ways to get in what really matters. I don't know the solution for your family - but God does. Rely on Him - and you will not fail.

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:26 pm

Thank you ladies. I just came back and took the time to read this entire thread and the links too. Such a refreshing and encouraging break that I needed today.

Juli, You can do this. God will give you the strength. Lean on Him.
I used to feel like I needed to finish it all in 'such and such' a time. I used to think I couldn't tweak a manual; it was as if some 'curriculum police' sat behind me. It really hurt my ability to home school. My DH kept encouraging me to use what I needed, and not feel commanded by my TM. Now I see the manual as my structure and my launching pad; yet with this different view point I interestingly have a much easier time following Marie's careful instructions. At the same time though I do tweak where needed for my situation and family. Take what works best for your family, tweak what doesn't, and realize that you just gave your kids an amazing education. Where else could they be tutored every day? In Bible none the less?

Take Care & God Bless.
Carin

juliana1977

Unread post by juliana1977 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:24 pm

I just came back to re-read all your posts. Thanks again for the encouragement!
It's so funny that I needed somebody else's permission to tweak the curriculum, isn't it?
All of your encouragement has made a big difference. Reminding me that this is a CALLING, and not just something I do to make my life more difficult was a much needed reminder!
Thank you for sharing your struggles with me! It's so nice to know I'm not alone.
Juli, married to Mike for 10 years
Calah-8, Sariah-4, Eli-16 mos, Surprise!-Due Aug 3

toddzetta

Unread post by toddzetta » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:53 pm

Glad to hear things are going better!! Amen!! God is Faithful!
Todd- part time homeschool dad
Began MFW 2010
Currently in CTG with Dd 11 and Dd 9
Ds 3 using MFW toddler program