End-of-year finale, parties, celebrations

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
TriciaMR

End-of-year finale, parties, celebrations

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon May 11, 2009 9:43 pm

Just Clay wrote:We will joyfully finish our first year of homeschooling on Friday. I can hardly believe it. We have done Adventures and a little bit of Kindergarten (to be continued next year). I would love to hear some of the ways that you celebrate the end of the year - activities, special events, surprises, whatever.

I always love to hear the creativity of others,
Annette
Some of these we have done, some of these my friends have done.

Picnic lunch.
Trip to the local amusement park.
A day at the pool.
Trip to Dairy Queen or Sonic or Baskin Robbins. (My dairy free kids get the Star Kisses from DQ, or slushies.)
Veg in front of the T.V. with acceptable kids videos.
Make home made cookies or brownies or something yummy.
Make a "certificate" in Word/Publisher that says the child has graduated from whatever grade.
Go out to dinner at a "nice" restaurant (NOT Fuddruckers or Burger King).
Go camping the weekend after.

Just a few ideas.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Ariasarias

Re: End of year finale

Unread post by Ariasarias » Tue May 12, 2009 7:11 pm

The past couple of years we put together a "program" for dad. If I had family near by I think I would include them too -- especially grandparents.
This year we finished ECC and K and have a tag along 3 year old. The kids get a "diploma" from the dollar store.
The kids sang songs related to what we learned ("He's got the whole world in His hands," "John 3:16," "Matt. 20:18-20," and the continent song. They each chose a favorite verse from the year to recite. They also chose something to share that they enjoyed learning about. Last year when we did ADV, they reviewed the names of Jesus together and shared their favorite one along with the verse that went with it.
Afterwards we go out to eat together.
Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to dd (2000), dd (2003), dd (2005), and ds (2009).

HSMomof4

Kinder Graduation

Unread post by HSMomof4 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:27 pm

kidswife wrote:I'm looking for ideas to "graduate" my DD who is just about to finish MFW-Kinder.

Has anyone made diplomas for graduation? Or have any other ideas to mark these milestones?

Thank you!
I've been thinking about this too. I was going to try to find (or make) a mortar board, and make my son a little diploma to save in his school scrapbook.
Khara, Mom to:
Elijah, 6 (MFWK)
Abigael, 4
Isobel, 1 1/2
and "Carl", due in September

cbollin

Re: Kinder Graduation

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:54 pm

kidswife wrote: Has anyone made diplomas for graduation?
Thank you!
I probably used the one on donnayoung's website. but there are plenty of downloaded kindergarten diplomas out there if you search on "kindergarten diploma". Or if you have a teacher supply store, they sell them.

If you go on donnayoung.org, click on Homeschool Planner, then Administrative, then Certificates.

not sure what else we did..... all a blur a year later. probably ate ice cream. :-)

-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:20 pm

I just used what came with Microsoft Publisher and made our own - using dd's favorite color, printing it on cardstock. I do one every year.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:59 pm

I have made certificates at the end of the year to promote each child to the next grade level. Last year we had some family members over and had a meal. Then, we had a short "program" where the kids read or recited a Bible memory verse, sang some songs we had learned, and showed their grandparents their Adventures notebooks and other schoolwork they had completed. It was really fun! It was very positive for the kids and the grandparents enjoyed it, too.

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

spaldingclan

Kindergarten Graduation today:-)

Unread post by spaldingclan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:32 am

I just wanted to share what a sweet day today was for us. It was our first ever Kindergarten Graduation Day! (We get to do it again next year with our youngest).

I decided to do this for several reasons:

1. I needed some incentive to organized the school work the girls did all year long.
2. I wanted the girls to be able to see how much they have accomplished and grown.
3. I wanted them to share with the family all that they have done and our proud of.
4. I wanted them to know how proud Dad and I were of them.
5. It gave us closure for the year, so that now we are all ready to move on to the next thing.

So, I went through all of their lessons and put them in a binder for each girl. I had started out doing this at the beginning of the year but got out of the habit and by the end of the year all of their lessons were paper clipped together and stuffed in the binders. Then I pulled out their best art work and put it up on the school room walls. We also had up all the words to remember badges and the memory verse for the year. I put up for each girl, their 7 days of creation art work, 100's chart, life cycle paperwork and few other things that reflected their work from the year.

Then, we invited the grandparents over, prayed, had brunch, and invited them to sit for the show. Oh, also this morning I sat down with the girls and we came up with a name for our homeschool that they love. It's on my tag now: Stars of Grace Academy. That was so exciting. They want to make t-shirts this summer, lol!

My dd6 (the K-er) recited all her Words To Remember for the year (all 26 lessons), sang the Days of the Week song, the Months of the Year song, the B-I-B-L-E song and the Water Cycle song. Her little sister (the pre k-er) was supposed to sing with her, but got cold feet at the last minute:-)

After the singing and me talking about My Father's World and how awesome it isl, we let everyone walk around and view the girls work and look at their binders. The girls were so proud of all that they had accomplished, it was such a wonderful moment for my dd6. Her confidence soared, and she just seemed to grow up right before my eyes. sniff, sniff. It was kind of awesome and I am so thankful to God for allowing me the opportunity to homeschool my kiddos, teach them about His love for them and this beautiful world he has for us and about Jesus sacrifice and salvation.

It was such a wonderfully sweet culmination of the year's work, and I guess I just wanted to share with you all. I know I am encouraged so much here and have gotten so many ideas throughout the year that we have used. Maybe someone can use these ideas to create their own end of year celebration!

Blessings,

Postby spaldingclan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:40 pm
You know I was thinking about this later and realized something. I had my list of reasons why we did the graduation, but God's list was a little different. He was working on all of our hearts, including my dear husband. He has really embraced our homeschool adventure and is now leading it as our "Superintendent"! He signed the girls diplomas right along with me and stood next to me while we presented them to the girls. We have been on quite a journey these past couple of years leading up to this point of total acceptance of the Lord's direction for our lives with my husband at the head of our family (right under God that is). Everytime I think about how far we have come I just want to cry and get down on my knees and thank Him!

Have a wonderful Easter!
Kim
**Stars of Grace Academy**
happily married to dh since 1995
mom to 3 outgoing daughters:
dd1 age 14: Freshman at PS
dd2 age 6 1/2: currently in MFW1, finished MFWK
dd3 age 5: currently in MFWK
http://thislittlehouseschool.blogspot.com

asheslawson

Re: Kindergarten Graduation today:-)

Unread post by asheslawson » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:22 pm

I love it - we recently finished MFW K as well & I might use a few of your ideas for my dd!
That would be a really nice way to review her kindergarten year - which was priceless in my heart!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

MelissaM

Certificate of Completion

Unread post by MelissaM » Mon May 23, 2011 10:43 am

jasntas wrote:Last year I gave my dc certificates for completing their current grade as part of our last day of school celebration. Our last day this year will be this Friday and I can't remember where I got the certs. :~ If I remember correctly someone on this board knew of a web site with free print outs. Does anyone happen to know where I could find them again? :) TIA
I don't know the website, but I found some templates for academic certificates in MS Word that I used for my kids this year.

:)
Melissa
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

cbollin

Re: OT-Certificate of Completion

Unread post by cbollin » Mon May 23, 2011 11:01 am

I think the donna young site has at least a Kindy one that you could adapt.

and a quick search engine on "graduation certificates for children" could produce a lot of results
maybe this one
http://parenting.leehansen.com/Printabl ... index.html

???

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed May 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Thank you for the advice ladies. I found one on the site Crystal suggested. Then I used that as a model and made my own as Melissa suggested.

Two more days of school. :-) %| ;( Such mixed emotions. I can't believe the year is already over and I'm already in overdrive planning for this fall. It's hard to believe we have had two successful years after my first hs fiasco. What joy. :-) Thank you MFW!!!! :-) :-)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Thu May 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi Tammie! I know what you mean - can another year of school really be complete?! I am glad that you have had another good year! Way to go!!

I am going to print of some certificates soon, too! I have found a template at http://www.dltk-cards.com/award/

I am hoping to get the grandparents to come over one night next week to celebrate, have our "open house" and promotion ceremony. The last two years we have done this and it is a hit! It is a fun way for the kids to show off their accomplishments and to "advance" to the next grade level.

Have a great weekend!
Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN

Year End Celebration?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:19 am

kacairo1 wrote:Has anyone done anything special or unique for the "last day of school"?
Hi Kelly,
We don't do much at our house. We're usually gunning the engines at the end. I always think that has to do with me being a night owl and not a morning person -- I get more done when there doesn't seem to be an endless amount of time ahead of me (like at the beginning of the year).

Well, after that tangent, I wanted to share this link with a few creative ideas:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7632

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Re: Year End Celebration?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:03 pm

I always buy something at convention that I save through the year and give to the kids at the end of the year. For my oldest, it was the YWAM Young Missionary Stories (the ones in rhyme). For my boys this time I got them marshmallow guns that the "young entrepreneurs " were selling. (For next year I got a dress for my oldest's favorite doll, and Legos for my boys.) I like to support the young entrepreneurs that set up at our convention (we usually know a few of them, anyway).

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

kanderson

Unread post by kanderson » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:28 pm

We like to take pictures of the kids holding one of their favorite projects. We let them pick a special lunch(usually they pick McDonalds 8| ). We also bake a cake and eat it while we have a movie night that evening. A side note to say that today was actually our first day of school - Adventures and K!
Kristin
married to dh since 2001
ds-9 ECC
dd-6 1st,
ds-4 MFW Pre-School/ Rod and Staff,
dd-2, into everything!
one in the arms of Jesus

http://wefruitfullymultiplied.blogspot.com/

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:18 pm

kanderson wrote:We like to take pictures of the kids holding one of their favorite projects. We let them pick a special lunch(usually they pick McDonalds 8| ). We also bake a cake and eat it while we have a movie night that evening. A side note to say that today was actually our first day of school - Adventures and K!
We do pretty much the same thing. A special lunch outing to wherever the kids pick, a special dessert and maybe a movie night. Then we just relax and (try to) sleep in the next day. ;) Oh, and I give the kids a certificate for finishing that school year including taking pics with their certs and teacher. :) It's pretty low key but fun.

The first days of school are another story. I sort of do a big fanfare by starting with a field trip. Then the second day they do a special all about me poster, take pics with their teacher in the one new 'school' outfit they get and lots of fun new school supplies. Again, lunch at a favorite spot or a picnic or maybe donuts from the donuts shop for breakfast. (We don't get donuts often so that's a special treat.)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.