Student Sheets - Organizing & storage

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
meagabby

Student Sheets - Organizing & storage

Unread post by meagabby » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:37 pm

ncfrench wrote:Hi there! We are beginning ECC and this is our first MFW year. Everything looks so great and the message board has been a tremendous help.

I have a very silly question about the ECC Student Sheets. I have 2 sets since I am homeschooling 2 children. How do I store them? From what I understand, they are not "preloaded" into their binders, but rather given as lessons are covered. Or, I did not understand correctly and I do go ahead and file them in the binder. Also, should I go ahead and 3 hole punch everything or will some sheets go in sheet protectors? Any info you have that will make that process more simple would be great! Thanks!!!!
Hi! I hope you enjoy your first year with MFW!!

I keep all of our students sheet for any given year in a file folder until we needed them.
You could hole-punch them, but I don't because I like to put our work into page protectors and at the end of the year have them spiral bound at the local copy shop.
My dc like to look through them again and I am not a fan of those hole re-enforcements after a few pages come loose. Plus, I get to reuse the same binders and page protectors each year!

( not trying to make you think of anything else, just giving the reason why I don't) :)

-dena
Loving learning with MFW!

BHelf

Re: ECC Student Sheets Question

Unread post by BHelf » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:34 am

I don't know what ages you're teaching, but I have a younger child and I just keep all sheets for each continent in one sheet protector filed under that section in the binder. That way when I need something I know right where it is and it stays in nice condition.
meagabby wrote:You could hole-punch them, but I don't because I like to put our work into page protectors and at the end of the year have them spiral bound at the local copy shop.
My dc like to look through them again and I am not a fan of those hole re-enforcements after a few pages come loose.
I love this idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may just need to do that. How much does that typically cost to have them spiral bound?
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:14 am

I keep ours in an expanding file folder. Then as the assignment for each sheet comes up in our lessons, I know that the front page in the folder is the one we need. Easy peasy. Also note that the student sheets are labeled at the top, i.e., Week 3: M (for Monday).

There are instructions in the TM as to how to set up your 3-ring binder, that is, the notebook that you're filling up throughout the year. So don't worry about that in advance, or about 3-hole punching in advance.

Love the idea of spiral binding everything at the end of the year! Dena, do you keep the dividers in place when you go to have everything bound?
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:38 am

I keep ours in one of those "magazine holders" (like an upright file). I have other stuff in there, too, so the pages don't sink to the bottom & curl. I store it in an out-of-the-way place

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:24 am

I am new to MFW so I don't know if the way I am doing it is the best way, but I divided each week's sheets into page protectors. I put both of my boys' week's worth of pages in one page protector. I placed one boy's pages facing one way and the other boy's pages facing the other way. I don't know if that is necessary. It just kept it separated in my mind better, but my mind does not always work in the best way, so...take it for whatever it is worth. ;)

At the end of the week, I should have an empty page protector (unless there is a sheet that we decided not to do or was too advanced for them). Then I can reuse that page protector. I divided my K's sheets up for the year and placed them in page protectors and put them in a separate 3-ring binder as well.

This seemed the best for us. I can keep all their sheets in one 3-ring binder so it is easy to find when I need it. This is important around here since my house can become a disaster pretty quickly, and I am afraid that I would not be able to find what I needed at any given moment.

That is what I did for our ECC sheets with two boys.

HTH!
Amy C.

meagabby

Unread post by meagabby » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:38 am

BHelf wrote:I love this idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may just need to do that. How much does that typically cost to have them spiral bound?
I've used Staples and the pricing is based on the coil sizes. I've paid less than $5 for each spiral.
4Truth wrote:Love the idea of spiral binding everything at the end of the year! Dena, do you keep the dividers in place when you go to have everything bound?
no, I've taken the dividers because they extend outside the edge and I like the even look. We reuse the dividers.

Last year my dc did want to have dividers inside so they decorated with markers on plain cardstock (it might have been heavier copy paper --whatever I had on hand) and I inserted them in place of the tabbed dividers. The notebook paper is smaller so make sure the person making them knows you have included some.

I choose a cover page image and print on cardstock, include the school year and cycle covered. Ex. 2007-2008 ECC and a map image.

Staples provides the back page cardstock and choice of bindings. I choose the thick, plastic spiral-type, like what our TMs have. They've done it while I wait.
Loving learning with MFW!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:17 pm

meagabby wrote:I choose a cover page image and print on cardstock, include the school year and cycle coverd. Ex. 2007-2008 ECC and a map image.
oh oh... something cool to note for 2nd edition users of ECC...... there is a cover sheet included for the geography notebook. It's like the top cover sheet of the student sheets and looks like the front of the manual. full color.

oooh... we didn't have that in first edition. ;)

-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:57 pm

I bound most of my daughter's ECC work at Kinko's this summer. It was around 17 bucks - I made 3... One for geography, one for science, and one for Bible. I recommend putting everything in page protectors that you might bind, otherwise you get weird holes. She loved it.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

KellyinPA

Unread post by KellyinPA » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:30 pm

This is my first time through ECC so take it for what it's worth ;) I'm making a file for each country and putting the student sheets in those along with anything else I run across that pertains to that particular country, like the children's issues from Voice of the Martyr, etc. This may or may not work out in the long run, we haven't actually started yet.
Blessings,
Kelly
MFW K, 1st, ADV
ECC 2009/2010

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:27 am

Hi! I got a simple file box with a handle that I can carry around and put together just a few files in it, including one for each set of student sheets for ECC (we have 2 sets, too). There is room in it for my TM's and map and a couple of other files. I don't know why I didn't do this before!

Last year, in Adventures, it was very easy to put the worksheets, like the state sheets in a page protector right when we completed them and put them into our binders. Then at the end of the year, they were already put together and we had a whole binder full of things to show the grandparents!

I really like how easy MFW makes it to create a binder/notebok/portfolio each year.

Rachel :)
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

TurnOurHearts

student sheets

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:02 am

paliz wrote:So as I continue to look over and prepare for doing ECC I am wondering how to store the student sheets until it's time to use them. I really don't want to see them messed up. It's little wandering hands I'm concerned about. Any suggestions?
I use a regular file folder. It could be put in a hanging file, but I use an antique lingerie dresser (seven 4" deep drawers) for our "school cabinet" so mine lay gently inside each child's notebook drawer. As long as they're somewhere protected from little wandering hands, you should be fine. :)

NJCheryl

Re: student sheets

Unread post by NJCheryl » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:40 am

I put mine in a 3 ring binder. I am doing ECC and MF1. I have a diver between the 2 and put them both in the same binder. That way the pages stay neat, and I have them all in the same place. Each morning I pull out the sheets we need for the day.

Cheryl

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:10 pm

I 3-hole punch them and keep them in an extra binder.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

lauramb

Unread post by lauramb » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:17 am

This is my first year using MFW. I "struggled" with this decision too. What I ended up using is an expandable file folder. The kind with all the different dividers built in and the elastic closure on the outside to keep it closed. I am doing K, 1st and ECC this year and they all fit in there in different sections which I labeled. But I can see how going ahead and punching holes and filing them in a large 3-ring binder could be another solution. I might try that next time. But the expandable folder works well for me.

sojen

Unread post by sojen » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:52 pm

I left mine in the box they came in. They are on the top shelf of the bookcase and each time I see the double astrix in the TM I grab the next sheet out of the box.

I had to smile at this post because on more than one occasion I thought to myself, "There is probably a better way to do this." Then I imagined spending the time and energy organizing them-all to completly forget where I put everything. I would be the girl who spent all kinds of money on some awesome folder, then find the perfect spot to store it only to forget everything the next day. Being a mom has seriously left my brain frazzled. :-)

So in the cardboard box they stay.
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.

GlorytoGod

student materials question

Unread post by GlorytoGod » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:01 pm

SusanH wrote:So I got my box today! I have 3 sets of student materials and I am wondering how to store them - I don't want to unwrap until I know what to do with them. Is everything '3 hole punchable' for the binders? Do you go ahead and put everything into the binders? If not, where do you keep them until you need them?

Any other organizational helps would be.....um............helpful. :-)
I am new but when we received our student sheets, I pulled the ones I am going to need for the week and I put them into a project box I got from target, 5 dollars. That way I do not punch holes in them. And so far I am going to hand them the sheets they will need for the day. I only pulled the ones needed for binder and placed them into a page protector. I think this is going to be "organize on the way" thing for us, only b/c it is our first year with MFW and I want to keep them intact.

Also I think it depends on which year you are teaching. I am doing MFW First Grade and it looks like that 3 hole punching might impede with some of the sheets, b/c it doesn't have margins. I am also doing RtoR and some of the history notebooking sheets looks like it would be okay to punch. HTH

Have fun organizing!
Blessings,
Nicole

jasntas

Re: student materials question

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:32 pm

I put mine in page protectors and store them in a 3 ring binder that I keep nearby and then pull them out as needed. I also put any extra ideas, etc. in page protectors and put in the binder with the weeks I would want to use them. I hope that makes sense.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

sixtimemom

Unread post by sixtimemom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:59 pm

We just completed our first year of MFW doing ECC. I also had three sets of student sheets.

I ended up buying one of those small plastic portable file containers. I labeled 36 files with numbers 1-36 to represent each week. I then went and filed each of the student sheets in each file. There is enough space that I was also able to file the geography game. Each week all I needed to do was pull out the file and pass out the papers. I liked it too because if I found any other information on countries or science I would file it in the appropriate week so when we got to that week I could use it.

We didn't hole punch them as I'd have the kids put them into page protectors as they put them into their own notebook.
Debbie
Mom to 6
Grandma to 1
Homeschooler for 17 years and this is my 2nd year to use MFW
ECC and AHL 2009/2010
1850 -Exploration, AHL & WHL 2010-2011

BHelf

Unread post by BHelf » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:19 pm

When we did ECC, I stored the student sheets for each continent in a page protector (so all North America inside one page protector, etc.) and put them in a binder and then pulled them out as needed.

This year, I'm trying something different--similar to what this says:
sixtimemom wrote:I ended up buying one of those small plastic portable file containers. I labeled 36 files with numbers 1-36 to represent each week.
except mine is small so I had to divide up the student sheets into 2-3 week sections at a time instead of each week. Not sure why I switched as I really liked the binder method but I just wanted to try something different this year. :)
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:22 pm

RTR: have a big binder clip holding them together. stored on shelf with RTR stuff. Plan to pull them out about 1 minute before the manual has a note to do a notebook page. Then, will hole punch as we come to them and put in notebook. kinda lame isn't it?

-crystal

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm

jasntas wrote:I put mine in page protectors and store them in a 3 ring binder that I keep nearby and then pull them out as needed. I also put any extra ideas, etc. in page protectors and put in the binder with the weeks I would want to use them. I hope that makes sense.
Exactly the same here! I like it because I can slip the page back into a page protector for dd to keep in her notebook.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

SusanH

Unread post by SusanH » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:06 am

I didn't mention that we are doing ECC.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will probably go with the 'filing by week' -- we are coming from a unit study curriculum and I used a filing system to coordinate with each book we were studying, it worked well for us with that curriculum so should be an easy switch.

Thanks again.

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:36 am

This post makes my head spin! :-) I will be dealing with 4 sets of student sheets next year, and I am determined to improve our system from last year- which was basically no system- which meant many or should I say MANY student sheets were left unused. I definitely want something where the kids can get them themselves and at least get started on them without my assistance if possible. We had that semi-independence going with the state and president sheets, and we managed to get them done. Of course, those sheets came after we got slammed with the flu twice during the school year. Our productivity here really is directly related to our health.

So anyway, I will be reading over all these posts carefully, because I am looking for a better way to deal with the myriad of sheets at our house.

I will add that we are doing 1850 to Mod. next year, so we will have Pres. sheets, state sheets, regular student sheets and Story of the World sheets- for 4 kids. Just typing that gives me a bit of an anxiety attack. :-) So keep the ideas coming please.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

lisagolightly

Unread post by lisagolightly » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:16 pm

As a newbie to MFW, and a perpetual seeker of the "best way to organize my family's life", thank you for
all the ideas!

At the St. Louis Homeschool Expo this year, I met a mother/speaker who shared her method of organizing.
She also used the file folders, one for each week, one set for each child. On the outside of each week's
folder she stapled the week's lesson plans, so each child new what they needed to do. Inside were all consumables,
worksheets, maps, etc. She also created shapes in each grid square where student could check off when
completed the assignment/project. This aided her in calculating student hours.
She created a set for herself, with reminders of library books to order for the next unit, field trips to plan,
items to purchase, etc.

I am going to implement this plan this year. I pray it works!
Lisa
Mom to three boys, 12, 9, 7 and one daughter in Heaven. (Can't wait for Jesus to introduce us!)

mamacastle2

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:00 pm

I have a 5-pocket, plastic expandable file for each kid. I separate the first 4 weeks into the front slots, then put the rest of the materials in the back slot. On Monday, I put each kid's sheets behind my TM on a clipboard and then as we get to them, I hand them out. Every month I separate the next 4 weeks worth of stuff into the file. This is perhaps a little primitive (notice I didn't say lame - LOL) but it works, we are organized, and I have everything I need for the week with me.

My kids hole punch and put into their folders as they finish. They are in charge of keeping their notebooks current. Actually, they enjoy doing this and as they put their papers away, they tend to look through the notebook at all the other stuff they've done. It makes me happy to see them enjoying their notebooks!
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK