Student Sheets - Organizing & storage

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
TriciaMR

Should I hole-punch the Student Sheets?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:11 pm

4in4years wrote:Should I hole-punch the Student Sheets? Would you please explain more as to why you would want to keep them in page protectors or spiral books? Do you keep everything your kids do? Is this a requirement for homeschooling?

At the end of the year I, um...throw out my kids' papers from the last year. They have been in private school up to now. Should I not do this any more?
4n4
Should you keep them? Well, depends on your state requirements - so check at HSLDA's website for that. Some states want a portfolio. In my state, we can either do standardized testing or have a teacher evaluation. I figure if I ever decide to do a teacher evaluation instead of testing, I would have something to show the evaluator her progress through the year, too.

I don't have to keep them, but I wanted to create a keepsake for each year for my dd. We got off to such a rocky start homeschooling, and switching to MFW was such a blessing, well, I kind of wanted to remind us of that blessing, so I had all her stuff from ECC spiral bound (which was way more than CTG). Plus, I wanted to reuse the 3-ring binder, and the spiral bound stuff takes up less space. (I plan on going to Kinkos/FedEx Office today to bind our CTG stuff). A lot of my friends throw out their kids' worksheets, but these are pages she created - drew a picture and wrote something down or made, so these are special.

Plus, if anyone asks, I have stuff to "prove" we actually did work in our homeschool.
-Trish

Posted Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:42 pm by TriciaMR
I put my pages in page protectors (buy the big box at your favorite Warehouse Store if you can) - at least the Geography/History and Science pages, and then go to FedEx Office (formerly Kinkos) (taking them back out of the page protectors) and have them spiral bound.

Posted Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:46 pm by TriciaMR
Cost varies based on how thick the stack of pages being bound is. I just had 3 or 4 done for under $17, but in the past it has run about $17 for 2 that were each greater than 1 inch thick.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

NJCheryl

Re: Should I hole-punch the Student Sheets?

Unread post by NJCheryl » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:09 pm

I also punch all of my sheets ahead of time and keep them in a binder. Then after they are complete, they go in the correct notebook binder (History all together, all other subjects in one binder divided by subject).

I live in a state with no requirements, but I do keep all their binders of work from year to year - just to be safe, since this is the only record I have of what they are up to.

Cheryl

RBS in OH

Unread post by RBS in OH » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Using page protectors also allows for twice as many pages to fit in the notebook....actually, probably more, since the page protector material is so thin and slick and slippery--everything just fits well and the pages turn better without damage to the worksheet if the notebook is stuffed. I also like being able to slip other things into them as a pocket (for ECC we saved a pair of chopsticks from the Japanese restaurant we went to after studing Japan).

Just an FYI if you're interested: The Dollar Store has just stocked up with school supplies and has a pkg. of 25 for $1--best deal I've found in a while....
Rachel

ds(14) 8) and dd(14) ;)
We've enjoyed ADV, ECC (2 times), CTG, RTR, EX-1850, 1850-MOD--and now AHL this year!

meagabby

Unread post by meagabby » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:05 am

4n4,

I also have our work bound at the local office supply store. I do not think it is necessary, but I started doing this a few years ago instead of buying new binders. I noticed that I can have them bound (using same coil like the TM) cheaper than I could buy new binders. Making last years work for RtR into spirals cost me around 6 bucks for 2 kids.

My children love to show their work to their relatives as well as look back over what they've done. they comment on how their handwriting has changed or how they have changed in the few photos we've taken and added to a science page or the "1st day of school" page we always create.

I find that keeping them after they are bound also takes up less space than if I were to keep the binders.

The only downside I have found to having them made into a spiral would be that notebook paper with the 3 holes punched is a little more delicate to turn the page.

I hope you find what works for you.
Loving learning with MFW!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:13 am

Just chiming in on the "why would you want to keep them" question.

- To encourage me that I've accomplished something this year
- To encourage my child
- To encourage dad & extended family that my child has done things and made advances
- In case the school inquires
- To evaluate my goals for the future
- As a keepsake for my child's future
- As a review for reinforcing the material over the year
- As a personal "textbook" created by my child for reading in years to come
- As a display at my child's future graduation

And no, every page doesn't go in there. I only keep samples of math or any other "workbook" type papers (although we do lots of things orally instead of filling out a workbooky type page). I probably keep too much.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Pylegang

Organization, help!

Unread post by Pylegang » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:55 pm

Metairie wrote:Okay, I've been diving through everything and I have a couple of questions now. The more I delve, the more I really like this program.

Anyway, I have two student sheets packages; one for each girl. What do you do with them? How do you keep them from just being loose paper? Do you use a binder, or box, how do you divide it up? Do you put the art book, extra papers, etc., in the binder/box also? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I have two sets of student sheets also. I combine the student sheet sets into one large stack so that I have both copies of each page right there together. For example, two copies of Week 1 Monday, then two copies of Week 1 Wednesday, two copies of Week 2 Tuesdays, etc. I hole punch the pages and put them all in a binder. Then . . . when the lesson plans call for a student sheet, I just go to my binder and the needed sheets are right there on top.

If you're not a binder person, you could put the pages in a folder or file folder for easy access.
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

MelissaM

Re: Organization, help!

Unread post by MelissaM » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:06 pm

In the K program, the teacher's manual suggests you make file folders for each unit. I did that and filed all the student sheets in the correct folder for the whole year. (Also, I file anything "extra" I find that will go with that unit.)

At the same time, I thought I'd organize dd's work the same way, so I just made weekly files for her, labeled them Week 1 - Week 36, and I had been filing all of the work that she needs for the week in each one. I keep all the files together in hanging files in a plastic crate. At the beginning of the week I take out each kid's file and we just go through the work that's in them. When the work is completed, I have been hole-punching and putting it in a notebook (for my Ker - I haven't been keeping up as well with the 4th grader's). I didn't do this when dd was in K, but my son just loves it so much - he goes back and looks at all his work, sounds out the words on the word list, etc. It's been great review and I think it's something he's really proud of.

Now that I'm getting ready to start ECC with dd, since I already had my files set up (with nothing but my panic to fill them, lol), it was easy for me to go through the student sheets and file them by week. The TM gives instructions for setting up notebooks, so I will have dd do that; that way she can keep up with her own filing and get it out of my hair, ;) .

HTH,
Melissa
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Here is what I did. I got the idea from another mom.
http://mybluedaisy.blogspot.com/2010/08 ... nized.html
Metairie wrote:Chelle, that's beautiful! I don't have a Staples here, but I have the Internet! Great ideas. :-)
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:06 pm

Here is a picture of our file folders.
http://wbbeachbum.blogspot.com/2010/07/ ... uling.html
Metairie wrote:Wendy, wow, color coded and everything! I'm impressed. Although, I had thought of the quarter break down as well, just so I don't feel overwhelmed. I noticed you put your math sheets and LAs in there also. My dd has workbooks for each. I guess I should just leave those books together, or do you cut the binding off and separate it out that way.

Also, what are and why workboxes?
Our math workbook did not lay flat and since the pages were perforated it was neater to place them in the files instead of removing a page a day.

In the past, I had Kinkos remove the binding and spiral bound our workbooks that did not lay flat. I did remove the binding off our books this year but doubt that I will in the future. Next year, I will use our file folders to keep any loose papers organized and use our workboxes to keep everything else organized. I think.

Workboxes are just a way to organize our daily work.

HTH
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

scarletrose

Organizing ECC

Unread post by scarletrose » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:04 pm

karrie wrote:In the fall, I will start my second year homeschooling, and my first year with MFW. We have four school age kids, and three under four. I will have three using ECC and one in high school ancients. I need to know how to plan and organize ECC. Should I have each weeks copies and other things organized by week in folders? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any replies!
Hi Karrie,
I just started ECC with 4 of my kids (2 kids in the program, and 2 tagging along).

To organize, I bought 2 hanging file crates from Wal-mart (~$6 each), a 1 1/2 in. heavy duty binder for each child, hanging file folders, colored file folders page protectors, and Post-it tabs from Sams Club.

In one crate, I have all the books and materials we use for ECC standing up. I also keep two of the children's binders in there (pointing down so they fit easily). In the other crate, I labeled a hanging file folder for each week (labeled with the week number so I can use them again next year). Inside of each hanging folder, I've put a colored folder that I can pull out easily. Next, I went through each of the student page packs and put the pages into the corresponding week's folder. I've also photocopied the pages that we will need for the next 11 weeks (listed in the teacher's manual). The other two children's binders fit in that crate too.

The crates are stackable, but right now we have them side by side in our living room. They're colorful, so they're not really an eye sore.

Inside the kids' binders, there are clear page protectors. I labeled Post-It tabs and stuck them on page protectors. There is a tab for each section (World- Antarctica), plus a tab for Bible. At the back of the binder, there is notebook paper for the kids to do their handwriting and language lesson assignments. The front has a clear pocket that we are using to keep their sticker books.

To make the teacher's manual easier to locate the chapter we're on, I've also added Post-it tabs (stick on divider tabs) to each chapter. I had paper clips marking pages before, but they were leaving permanent indentions. The tabs are nice because they come off easily (so far).
First year of MFW using ECC

TriciaMR

Re: Organizing ECC

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Well, I did all my copying at once at the beginning of the year - but I was using ECC 1st Edition.

What I've done for CTG, RTR and EXP1850 is have a hanging file folder for each child in a file cabinet with the student sheets in those (and any other extras). Then, in a portable hanging file folder case, I have a folder for each day of the week for each kid. So I have Charlie Monday, Trent Monday, Toni Monday, Charlie Tuesday, Trent Tuesday, Toni Tuesday, etc. On Sunday night I get any copies from the student sheets and distribute them to the appropriate folders for the day of the week. I do it that way because my filing cabinet is not in the same room as our school, and walking back and forth I would lose my students. So, the portable case is perfect to keep those things nearby.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

carlamom2ansnm

How do you store student pages before use?

Unread post by carlamom2ansnm » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:24 am

BusyMom2Many wrote:How do you store your student pages before using them? Especially if you have a few students using them?? That's a lot of sheets to keep up with. I thought about an accordian folder? Thanks.
I'm doing a folder system of sorts. 34 hanging folders for the year, 34 manila folders for each kid. Student sheets get separated into the appropriate week/kid. Other work will be placed in there as well, so we can just work one folder at a time and get it all done :).

Wendy B.

Re: How do you store student pages before use?

Unread post by Wendy B. » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:33 am

I keep mine in the child's notebook in page protectors.

Everything is already in place, we just remove the one we are working on then replace it in its page protector.
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

Renee413

Unread post by Renee413 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:58 am

We're doing ECC next year.. I have 2 kids doing it. I made their Georgraphy/Science folder in a large 3 ring binder. I used dividers for all the continents and for science, then I hole punched all students sheets and simply put them in the back of each child's binder. When we need them, the day we need will be on the top of the students sheets and then after we're done with it we'll put them in the appropriate tab. Everything is in one place and it wasn't overly time intensive to get organized.
~Renee
Colin - age 8: ECC, TT 4, PLL, Spelling Power
Analise - age 7: ECC, MUS Beta, PLL, SS & S

Completed: K, 1st, ADV

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:28 am

I tried to link to some archived posts on this topic with some different ideas of how others have done it, but alas, I am not smart enough. If you type "how to store student sheets" in the search engine in the top right hand corner of this page, it should bring some past posts up.

I have done it different each year trying to find what works for us. This past year's system seemed to work well. I bought an accordion-style file folder, divided each week into a slot. I put all 3 boys' student sheets in the same slot. In other words, all 3 boys' week 1 went in a slot, then all 3 of the week 2 went into the next slot, and so on. We used the very front and back for extra things (that were not weekly student sheets) like the memory verse pages, etc.

Blessings as you find a system that works for you.

Postby Amy C. » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:58 pm
I learned how to link (with a little help ;) ).
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... ets#p54275

Amy C.

romans8x28

Unread post by romans8x28 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:33 am

Your kids might be older than mine. For K last year, all the sheets we had to do were in the student sheet pack. Before the year started, I put them all in a 3 ring binder in page protectors. The binder sat on my desk all year and I pulled the pages out as needed.

We're getting ready to start 1st in a couple weeks and I put all the student sheet papers in a 3 ring binder with page protectors again but they won't the be the bulk of the worksheets this year. The math workbook will be, and I haven't figured out yet if I want to try to separate it out beforehand or just find the pages on the days we need it and tear it out then. I scheduled out the days we want to do pages based on their recommendations and trying to do the same amount each day, so we would probably have one side of the sheet in the wrong folder most of the time. I really like the idea of hanging folders for each week and then putting them in my binders after they are completed.

Great topic! I'm going to be watching this thread for ideas for the future and if anyone has any ideas from their 1st grade year.
Rhonda is teaching:
Girl - 9, Boy - 7, Girl - 2, Baby in September!

2011-2012 - K-1st Ed.
2012-2013 - First-1st Ed.
2013-2014 - Adventures-2nd Ed., K-2nd Ed.
2014-2015 - ECC-2nd Ed., ECC & First-2nd Ed.

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:52 am

I took apart my teacher's manual..... %| and then I hole punched it and put it in a 3 ring binder. Each child has a color and I put their sheets according to the week/their color behind it. Then I can take out the entire week at a time or just grab the sheets as I need them. I wanted them all in one place.

The other reason I did this is we may be facing a move during this year and I didn't want hanging folders. I wanted a book I could grab and take with me!
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:08 am

Hi! :)

I also use the accordion file system, only I'm quite a simpleton, lol. I put my son's sheets in one slot, my daughter's in another, and I retrieve the sheets as needed. Since they go in order of use, I'm just grabbing the top sheet each time. Simple, takes no time, and it works for me. :)

One word of caution: if you buy use the accordion file, I suggest buying a sturdy, well-made one, rather than the cheapest you can find. I bought a cheap (read: cute) one this year and the weight of the sheets tore the file apart. SHEETS EVERYWHERE! THAT was a fun day.... ;)

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:06 am

I have only completed K and haven't decided on a system for my 1st stuff yet since it is quite different and has a lot less loose pages. However, for K, I 3-hole punched all the workbook pages and put them in a binder. Then, I had a 1 in notebook for my student. Each unit, I would take the pages out of my "master" notebook and put them in his. When we moved to the next unit, I put the completed pages back in my notebook and put the next ones in his. It worked well to organize what had been done and also what was to come.

There are so many ways to organize it. You'll just have to look through the ideas and then see what works for you.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:43 am

We use a separate binder. Each of our girls have 2 binders for MFW: The "Worksheet Binder" where worksheets are stored, and the "History Binder" where worksheets are placed when they're completed.

I've posted this before: but three years ago we purchased high-quality binders from Office Depot to re-use every year. They still look new, and the brackets are easy to open and close - no pinched fingers. ;) At the end of each year, we store the completed papers in files and place them in a file box in the garage by grade.

Have a great year! :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Last year, for K, I had the file folder set-up with 26 hanging files and everything already sorted into it for each unit, including that week's sheets.

I planned to do the same thing for First, but stuff happened and I didn't get as organized as I'd hoped. :~

The sheets for First are still in their cardboard box, and I have taken out the sheets for the week I'm working on. I put them in a weird thing I have that looks like a notebook on the outside but is actually a folder with six pockets. In this folder I have the student sheets for this first week, several Number of the Day Sheets, the 100 Chart, the Things Outdoors Book, etc. It has been handy and I plan to keep using this method, but I do need to get those student sheets out of that box and put them somewhere more accessible.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Ohmomjacquie

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:53 pm

carlamom2ansnm wrote:I'm doing a folder system of sorts. 34 hanging folders for the year, 34 manila folders for each kid. Student sheets get separated into the appropriate week/kid. Other work will be placed in there as well, so we can just work one folder at a time and get it all done :).
This is what I did.i gave a binder with dividers for each day of the well do she and I both free what needs done each day.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

Colleen

Unread post by Colleen » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:33 pm

I bought three tiers worth of stackable "in boxes". Each child has her own with the student sheets in it. When we need a sheet for that day as indicated in the TM, they get out their own sheets from the top of the pile. I don't want to spend the time dividing them into folders for each week since they are in order anyhow.
Colleen in MI
Wife to Dave (for almost 20 years) and Mom of four.
Currently doing:
US History to 1877 with 11th grade girl
Exp to 1850 (2nd time) with girls in 8th & 6th grades
First Grade (4th time) with only boy

Mcmama9

Unread post by Mcmama9 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:48 pm

MelissaB wrote:We use a separate binder. Each of our girls have 2 binders for MFW: The "Worksheet Binder" where worksheets are stored, and the "History Binder" where worksheets are placed when they're completed.

I've posted this before: but three years ago we purchased high-quality binders from Office Depot to re-use every year. They still look new, and the brackets are easy to open and close - no pinched fingers. ;) At the end of each year, we store the completed papers in files and place them in a file box in the garage by grade.

Have a great year! :-)
I love this idea :-) thanks for posting and awesome topic!!
Wife to Sam for 23 years,
Mom to 9 blessings 22-6 months
Graduated 4
Married 2
First grand baby due in November :)
This fall using EX1850' Highschool WH

TriciaMR

How do you store your student sheets?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:34 pm

far above rubies wrote:I am going to be pressed for time and space this year and I need a nice, space-saving place to keep our student sheets neatly organized. Please send me your tips and secrets. :)

In the past, I've just kept them in their wraps, stacked on top of each other. But that's just not gonna work this year. Thanks!
I've kept them in hanging file folders in a hanging file folder box. This year I'm keeping them in the desk organizer.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog