Foreign Language - Can I add Latin to MFW? (and an alternative suggestion)

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:29 pm

Betsy in CO wrote:I'm very excited to switch to MFW! I have not received my Adventures program yet but I will probably be adding Latin. Will this be too much in addition to MFW, language arts and math?

Looking forward to the journey with you all as our Heavenly Father leads us,
You will have time to add a lang. and MFW highly recommends it.

But MFW does take a more practical classical approach ( Charlotte Mason) when it comes to choosing a lang. They suggest you choose a language that will be the most useful for where you live or your family situation. Mason was English and she suggested French because that was their closest neighbor.

Latin was the language of choice after the Middle Ages because most all books were written in this language. It was the language of the scholar. Today it is extremely useful to understand how the English language is derived from both Greek and Latin roots. This is why in Creation to the Greeks, Greek roots are studied, and in Rome to Reformation Latin roots are studied, using English from the Roots Up. You study the roots and learn English words that are derived from that root. It is a very helpful vocabulary builder.

I understand that you may still choose to teach Latin, but I hope these thoughts will give you something to think on.

Happy teaching!
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Donna T.

Hi, Betsy!

Unread post by Donna T. » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:38 am

We are only on MFW First so we haven't gotten to the point that you are at, but when we get there, I also intend to use Latin.

Actually, I'll probably add those in third grade, I'm not sure yet as it depends on my son's progress in phonics. We are currently adding some things to our routine with no stress and very little extra time.

One thing I've decided to do to make it easier later on is to start Latin myself. I have no Latin background. I'm think this will help me to be a better teacher later on and that will save us time and frustration.

Please keep us posted on how this works for you and your child.

4Truth

Doing more than necessary?

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:17 am

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:28 pm
Well, I was thinking I wanted to add Latin and Greek to our schedule, but dh told me yesterday a flat-out NO. I'd thought he wanted to do that too, but he feels that we'd be doing more than really necessary at this point. We're getting ready to order RtR, and as he was going over the sample schedule with me and noted that we'll be doing EFTRU (which we already own, and Kayla also does Word Roots on the computer), he said that's PLENTY. So you see, these men of ours can help keep us both accountable and balanced! ;o)

SandKsmama

Latin & Greek Roots, plus Latin?

Unread post by SandKsmama » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:21 am

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:54 am
We do the Latin roots in CTG and RTR, plus we've done a Latin program (we use Latin for Children) all 3 years we've homeschooled. My daughter is now 11, so she was 9 when we started. (Actually, she was 8 when she *first* started with Latin - she had it in 3rd grade at the private school she was at before we started homeschooling.) I plan to start my younger children in 3rd grade with Latin.

My oldest will do some other foreign language starting next year for middle school (probably Spanish).

LSH in MS

Re: Latin & Greek Roots, plus Latin - Summer Latin?

Unread post by LSH in MS » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:22 am

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:07 pm
We do Latin/greek roots with CTG and RTR. I just started Latina Christiana last week with 4th and 5th graders. I can't seem to get Latin done during the school year. We have finished RTR and won't start EX1850 until August so I am focusing on Latin and Writing this spring and summer.

HSmommi2mine

Re: Latin & Greek Roots, plus Latin?

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:23 am

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:43 pm
You can start anytime. I think it is good to at least wait until they are reading well but some people have great success doing it orally in K and first but most people I know wait to start Latin until 3rd grade. I believe the general recommendation for multiple languages is to wait 2 years after starting the first foreign language.

If the alphabet is different (such as in Russian or Greek) it might be fine to start one year after starting the first language because you will spend a while just getting use to the new letters.

We have recently switched to a Latin Centered approach where our LA program revolves around Latin. It is heavy in grammar though so we will take it slow.

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:24 am

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:30 pm
Well, we started this year with a 4th, a 6th, and an 8th grader. We are having good luck with Latina Christiana. We use Rosetta Stone for Spanish. Since it is only my goal to complete Latina Christiana by 9th grade, in the future I think I will start them around fourth and do each program over two years, taking four years to do Latina Christiana I and II. I realize the oldest will not finish by my goal, but since we have a lot of children, I wait until at least two are close enough to start together. For Spanish we use Rosetta Stone, and that is more independent. The youngest started both languages this year, but the oldest two had two years of Spanish previously. It is working both ways.

Willow

Unread post by Willow » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:25 am

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:54 pm
Both of my dc are using Prima Latina this school year. They are strong readers, but the 1st grader is a bit pencil-phobic so I don't require her to do the student workbook. We will begin Latina Christiana I in the fall.

I would like my dc to continue with Latin through high school, and to study at least one modern language as well -- but that's long-term planning!

ElaineTX

Unread post by ElaineTX » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:26 am

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:29 pm
Here's what we've done:

dd --
3rd grade: start Latin with Prima Latina
4th: Latina Christiana 1 (LC1) + Greek alphabet & sounds
5th (this year): LCII and Elementary Greek 1 (EG1)
6th (next year): continue with EG2 and choose a Latin program. At this point, we're looking at either Latin Alive (a new program from CAP to be released this summer) or Latin in the Christian Trivium.

So, no, you don't have to start Henle in 6th; there are other options. BTW, CAP (Latin Alive) is the publisher of the Latin for Children for elementary age. Latin Alive will be for 6th & up. Older students can begin there, but younger children can use it too, especially if they've gone through an elementary program like LfC or LC.

Also, I have a 3rd grade ds that started EG1 this year instead of Latin. I plan to start him with Latin (probably LC1) in 5th, to give him 2 years with Greek before adding Latin. So, this year, we started Greek as a family (not counting last year's study of the the Greek alphabet) and make sure we don't go faster than our 3rd grader's pace. Latin will be studied separately at each child's level.

I respect MFW's position that the roots are beneficial. I agree, but I'm also seeing enough benefits already for the study of the actual languages that we'll continue.

Julie in MN

The philosophy behind roots vs. Latin

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:34 pm

caod wrote:I know that MFW begins Greek and Latin roots in the CTG year. Could someone enlighten me as to the philosophy behind using EFRU as opposed to teaching Latin vocabulary and grammar. Is there a reason that MFW doesn't feel that learning Latin and Latin grammar is an advantage.
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:53 pm
I think Lucy's answer in this thread pretty much follows what I have heard David Hazell say in convention talks: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=975

There is a similar post by Marie Hazell on this thread:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=428

The Hazells come from a background in Bible translation and that is their passion and probably affects their viewpoint on learning languages...
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: The philosophy behind roots vs. Latin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:42 pm

bethben wrote:Our biggest thing is that we think it will help our children learn to write and speak more clearly. We want them to be able to do this in order to give a good witness for Godly principles in our country. We feel like they need to be excellent in how they communicate to our post-Christian country and we want to give them the tools to do this. We feel like Latin will help them achieve these goals. If they want to pursue Spanish later on, the learning curve will be greatly reduced also.
Beth

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:54 am

I’ll wanted to get a bit reflective because of something you mentioned. There is always a balance point. Is Latin really going to be the right tool for the job to "communicate to our post-Christian country"? It is a good question to examine.

If you have time for both service and more academics, that’s ok. You don’t want to overload your schedule to the point where you say “We’re too busy and can’t let God use us to be the hands and feet of Jesus today to serve our neighbors today.” So, make sure that as you add *any* subject that balance point is there. There is nothing wrong with learning Latin at the right time.

I absolutely agree with you that it is important to teach our children to reach the world for Christ and that quality skills in communication are a must for that. I hear your heart in this matter, Beth. I’m right there with you.

When dealing with all of it, it will be important to be able to debate and discuss in a logical fashion. There are plenty of resources and methods for teaching those skills

But, there is another side of it away from the academics.
In order to be effective communicators for Christ, we also need to teach how to be the hands and feet of Jesus.

You have time to learn a bit more about my family??? My husband comes from a family of debaters and intellects. We’re talking about a family that likes to talk and debate and discuss the latest ideas. They’ll talk all night about the intellectual side of the Bible, Christianity, faith, hypocrites in the church, etc.

My husband spent 12 years working in a university and was considered quite the accomplished writer and speaker. He used to give scientific workshops and seminars across the country and internationally. Clearly, strong communication is important to him. But when this quiet one (me) speaks up about what we are DOING – the tone changes.

I simply tell them what we do to serve Jesus and whose lives are changing. My 12 y.o daughter will show them pictures of things she has crocheted and cross stitched and helped people around the world through different Christian groups.

It was not these razzle and dazzle debates that change the tone. It was our dedication to serving God that mattered and gave my husband more to talk about with his brothers and parents. What really made the difference was Service, not speeches. Speeches are important, but being the hands and feet of Jesus speaks louder and more precisely than any rebuttal or debate can.

When they could see God working in our lives and see us living for Him, they couldn’t argue it. In John’s extended family all of his brothers and parents do “service projects” to better serve mankind and enrich their resumes. It’s not the same. I am able to talk for a brief time about what God did when I was serving. I can share how God changes lives for eternity.

Even my mother in law is starting to notice. She preaches new age seminars for a living. She is a community activist. Even she sees Jesus in our lives and in our children’s lives. She sees faith and action. My MIL told me that she can just see the difference between those who serve with faith purpose and Higher Callings compared to those who just make their world a nicer place because it a nice thing to do. She lives a life of doing nice things and talking about philosophies in a post Christian society.

Make sure it is balanced and long term in focus. If all of those communication skills can be taught with materials that are high quality academics that are time efficient and still leave you time to become a family of eternal purpose, maybe it is ok to just use those materials written in English.

I urge you to listen to David Hazell’s talk about What Should Christians in the 21st Century Teach Their Children. I think you'll enjoy it a lot since you like classical education. Blessings and much love,
--crystal

cbollin

How do you choose?

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:06 pm

Threelittleangels wrote:I'm eagerly following this thread, because I can't decide between Latin and Spanish for my girls. Spanish is BIG where we live, but I like the idea of learning latin first. How do you choose?
Christa
good question.

Depends on *your* goals.

If those were my choices, I'd lean toward Spanish because it is spoken and immediately useful in a variety of ways other than academics and therefore in line with my personal goals of studying a foreign language.

I never really wanted to study Latin. I never did and learned French in high school and Italian in College. My dh has a PHD in chemistry and never took Latin. But I kept hearing that many homeschoolers around me were doing Latin. So maybe that was some secret ingredient to homeschooling or something. (What????? I really thought that when my oldest was in about 1st grade or so. Don't laugh too hard at my honesty..... you are laughing right?)
My dh and I looked into reasons why our local friends were teaching it. I got the brochures from the companies they were using. As my dh and I studied reasons that people want to include Latin as part of their academic study, we found that we just didn't agree that Latin was the one best way to meet those academic goals. It is one way, but not really the one best way. So we don't do much in Latin past learning roots words -- that goal was important. But the other thing that my dh and I found was that the homeschool materials out there for learning Latin were being taught from English speaking programs. So we kept thinking along the lines of "our kids need to already know our English really well and the rules of English in order to understand the teaching for Latin program and that is supposed to help them in English? So why bother? Let's just do a good job teaching English and teach another language that is spoken and useful. "

But we all have different goals. Not trying to talk you in or out of Latin. Just taking you through the thought process as it was in our house. Others are doing what they want to do and that's great.

So, examine what your reasons are for learning any foreign language and then maybe that will help you decide which language is the priority in your home for this time and then add in the other one later.

and realize too that in the MFW scope and sequence, you'll have the opportunity to study Greek Roots in CTG and Latin roots in RTR. Maybe that will help with some planning too.

just one opinion of course. (not trying to start an anti Latin war on the board or anything.)

-crystal

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:04 pm

gressman9 wrote:We decided to let them choose because if they had a deep desire in their heart to learn a certain language.... it might be God preparing them for something in the future
Very good point!
Blessings!
A proud adoptive mom of 4 children,
~Toni~
I invite you to join me THE WISE WOMAN BUILDS HER HOUSE

RachelT

Foreign Language plan?

Unread post by RachelT » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:00 am

HeyChelle wrote:It's time to spend the money on Rosetta Stone! I am so excited to finally start this. :-) But I'm torn on which to begin with and would love some planning help. My thoughts are Spanish or Latin to begin with. RS might not be the best option for Latin.

FWIW - the reason I chose Latin and Spanish is based on conversations with people that my husband works with. My husband works with an international company and we have had the pleasure to spend a good deal of time with people who speak many languages, travel, and are successful in the business world. The recommendation is that Spanish is a practical must and Latin can lend a career and literary boost.

In the last year alone, dh has been sent to Mexico, various Caribbean islands, Indonesia, Israel, Canada, and more. A basic knowledge of languages can get you a long ways. You don't need to fully understand all those languages in order to do business in those countries (especially if you know English). Anyway, so it seems like if someone can understand Latin, then they should be able to successfully flit across the world and be able to communicate enough to get around and have their basic needs met. Maybe that is why the excitement over Latin on a resume from dh's colleagues.

Plus my daughter has taken some interest in Latin after reading "The Penderwicks".
I can speak just a moment about the Latin. My parents had me take it my first year of high school because they thought it was good for everyone to know for roots of words. My Dad was also a physician and many medical words are of Latin origin. I ended up taking Latin for years 2 & 3 in high school since I had already started, but I always wished that I would have taken a language that people actually speak somewhere!

However, I did learn a lot from Latin, including more Greek and Roman history. The interesting thing is that when I went to college as a vocal performance major I had to take some "diction" classes where this background in Latin helped me out. As a singer, I had to learn how to sing songs in other languages and make the words sound correct, even though I wasn't fluent in those languages. Latin really did help with that a lot and made singing in Italian quite easy! The Spanish songs were very similar, too, but the French and German were more difficult for me because they were not as closely related to the Latin and Romantic languages.

My husband is also a physician and had to learn all kinds of Latin medical terms, but in high school and college he took Spanish and we think that even in Indiana it is now the most practical second language to learn because we have so many native Spanish speakers living here. So that is how we decided. We are also in CtG and learning the Greek roots this year and I think learning those and learning the Latin roots next year will really help with vocabulary.

:-)
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

cbollin

Latin-RS question

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:30 am

chris629 wrote:I do want to touch on Latin a little bit so I thought maybe I could just get the first level of Latin and then move on to another language, does that make sense? I don't want to put a ton of time into Latin but want to get a basic lesson from it. I want to see how my 7 yr old takes to it and see where to go from there.
Is lesson 1 not enough for touching on it? Is there another way to touch on a language or should you just do it all?
I love Rosetta Stone and the immersion method.

In my opinion, for those who want to do a traditional full study approach to Latin, then, Rosetta Stone is not the "right" kind of program for doing Latin. and I said that as someone who really likes Rosetta Stone.

my reasons on it include:
RS works more toward speaking a language and using it. But most teachers who teach Latin teach it from a "grammar based/textbook" approach to get the additional perks of learning Latin in the first place.
For the price of RS, for the goals you've mentioned in Latin, I don't think RS is what you want for that. Maybe others have opposite opinion and RS Latin worked great. Hope they chime in.

In terms of level 1 of RS with a modern language, yeah, that can be done with 7 year old. You can also do fun stuff like watch a favorite DVD with audio features set to other language. Or check library for the Teach Me ______ series by Judy Mahoney. Those are CD's with songs on it in other language and kind of a casual approach to hearing familiar English children's songs done in the target language and hearing alphabet and numbers.

In terms of what works well at this age with Latin as a full study? I don't know. I went a "roots approach" to Latin instead.
chris629 wrote:What does a roots approach mean?
I basically want to see how well they do in learning other languages, introducing the world of talking in something other then English, learning the words.
They have watched Dora and they started counting in spanish, but it did help them that she would say the English way and the Spanish way. So they understood what it was exactly.

What is CTG or RTR? Sorry we are doing 1st grade but I'm still learning about the ins and outs of everything yet.
Roots approach means that you learn some root words in Greek and Latin in order to help with English vocabulary development. For example, the Latin root word "sol" means sun, as in solar, solarium, solstice. (just did that one this week, so it's in my brain.) But you aren't focusing on learning to speak write and read the language, or study grammar and all of that. It is about learning how to recognize roots and prefixes and suffixes in English words to understand them. Greek examples: telescope, comes from Greek words tele (distant) and skopeo (meaning to see or look). and then you learn Micro means small, so a microscope helps to see small things.

In CTG (Creation to the Greeks, which is year 2 of MFW's 5 year family cycle programs) and in RTR (Rome to the Reformation, year 3 of the 5 year cycle), there is a book scheduled called English from the Roots Up. It covers Greek and Latin root words to help with vocab development.

I think watching Dora or other children's shows like that with bilingual approach (hearing both languages) is a great start! They are counting, and greeting each other.

here are some other abbreviations on the board that we type.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2065
everyone is new at some point. Glad to help on that stuff.

-crystal

dhudson

Re: Latin-RS question

Unread post by dhudson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:50 am

I have the Latin Rosetta Stone and it's not what you want to do if you really want to study Latin. So much of studying Latin is chants, conjugations and written endings that Rosetta Stone doesn't really do that. I do love Rosetta Stone for modern languages though. My kids have done really well with Rosetta Stone Spanish.

If you just want to do roots, the MFW program in CTG and RTR will work very well for that. It all depends on how far you want to go in Latin as to what program you use.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

chris629

Unread post by chris629 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:08 am

Crystal thanks for the link.

Ok I figured thats what roots meant but I wanted to make sure. I may not go with the Latin start then if it does seem to cover it mostly in another yr or two. So maybe we will start with Spanish then.

It seems that RS is the way to go but I really have no idea what other ones are out there. Or if they are that good?
Christina 34
Sean 7
Josh 5
Alex 1

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:34 am

My dislike about RS is the cost.

my likes: interactive. assumes no prior knowledge. it's work for all of us over here... (slightly kicking myself for not just going ahead and getting it in Spanish this week!)

other people don't like the style of not knowing a word, or not having a quick translation. But I actually like that. example is in the earliest lessons you have 4 pictures and are asked (in one word in the target language) to select the correct one. There's nothing wrong with getting it wrong. Then it builds from there. the system gives you feedback to try things out loud.

small quick review on another program out there: The Easy Spanish.... I can't imagine using that program without a personal tutor to be honest. works on very grammar based approach via phonograms to learn to read and write. comes with an audio cd, but I hope we click with it for speaking the language. maybe in a few months I'll have a different point of view... but I'm just saying that program may not be the best route for younger children unless teacher knows the language and can speak it and help with practices and leave out all of the phonogram stuff. That's not how I learned to speak English (my native tongue). My parents didn't use flashcards to teach me sounds. They talked, I pointed and eventually when I wanted my brother's hamburger I pointed and said "burger burger pleaz?" It wasn't until I was talking more fluently (at least at preschool fluency in my native tongue) that I learned to read and write...... so why did I go with this program (easy spanish) just because it said it was good for missions?!?!?!? We don't know much Spanish. ack!!!!! I'm calling a tutor.
chris629 wrote:Crystal thats what I'm thinking of the cost. But I thought if we spend about 2 yrs on a language and switch up that often, then maybe it won't be so bad.

Could you turn around and sell it then or no?
Christina,
I don't think RS can be resold with the version 3 due to license issues, but I'm not a legal expert to know about that. changing the subject and hiding. LOL.

The way MFW has RS planned so far, you can use the level one for several years when they are young. There are several "curriculum paths" in the software so that you can go back and re do parts more extensively with reading and writing and then eventually as full program. so even for one level it will be cost effective over several years.

it's just in my case, we have 4 months to prep for a short term missions trip and I kept thinking... cost, time, and this other program.. and kicking myself here. :) I bet Dawn (hudson) would have told me to just buy RS because it worked great for her family's missions trip. OH well, at least with the other program I bought, I can donate it to Wycliffe Bible Translators if needed. that will make it worth it to me.

-crystal

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:24 pm

Yes, Crystal, you're right. I would have said to just buy Rosetta Stone. :-) I have found Rosetta Stone to be a great tool and I was very impressed with how much usable language my kids knew on our mission trips because of Rosetta Stone. My oldest did the complete program of Rosetta Stone and could translate for me. He was too shy to directly talk to adults but he would stand by me and tell me what to say. My younger ones knew enough to play and :-) make friends with the kids in the colonia's. I will be using Rosetta Stone Spanish with my oldest more formally next year for high school but I have been very pleased by starting Rosetta Stone with my kids when they were younger.

I did buy Power Glide Spanish and Latin first and those were money down the drain. I do let my kids listen to them for quiet time as they have fun stories and are good re-inforcement but for actually learning the language ,they were a bust.

I think of all the curricula I have bought, Foreign Language has been the subject I have wasted the most money on. Oh well. For modern language, I would buy Rosetta Stone.
God Bless,
Dawn

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:16 pm

chris629 wrote:Gosh so you just buy the program and then throw it away when you have accomplished it and don't need it? I guess I just know tons of people sell/trade off things that they are done with to other homeschoolers. SO I didn't figure that was any different. I guess now I know. ;)

So would it be a waste to buy all levels of a language? Or would it be better to buy the first level just to make sure the kids take to it?
Christina,
Software Programs (and Rosetta Stone is software, even though it is teaching you a language) do have different licensing issues. You can buy Power Glide or Easy Spanish and resell those. You can buy MFW and resell it.

I've seen people try to resell RS at used home school fairs, and I've asked them, "Did you read the license agreement? You usually can't resell software." They either tell me it's non of my business, or "Really? I didn't realize...," or "I've uninstalled it." Doesn't matter if you uninstalled if their policy is no reselling.

Some companies have different policies on that. I have seen software that says as long as you "unregister your copy" and do an "official license transfer" you can sell and/or give your software to someone else.

If RS doesn't have a license agreement posted on their site, call them and ask if you can get a copy before you purchase. A lot of software companies are now posting them on their website so you know what you're getting into. (There may have been a lawsuit or two over that.)

-Trish (former software engineer...)
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:20 pm

it's one of those weird things about computer software "licenses". I'm not saying it can't be done... just saying licensed software has some restrictions, but I'm not sure of all of that. In spite of the license/resell issues (which courts are still not in agreement on....), I don't think I've wasted money when I bought RS. it's weird.... it's more of whether the software will lock out the next person..... it wasn't always like that, but times do change...... and listen to Trish's advice on it!

If I were uncertain which language to try, I wouldn't get all 3 levels.

For the ages you have, you might use other products, or use children's cd's and library books on audio too. get familiar stuff that they know and learn it in new language even if it is "below" reading level. I've seen a series of children's songs on CD in target language. Teach me ________ by Judy Mahoney. Those are simple and fun and intro level to enjoy language acquisition. Or if there is someone in your church who speak a language, ask them to talk to your child in that language.
actually that's how it all got started with my oldest.... from the time she was still in my womb, this guy at church who was studying Russian at the university would greet her in Russian (yes, he talked to my growing belly), and then spoke to her when she was in my arms. :~ (then in 5th grade, mommy.. I want to learn Russian)

In other words, I didn't do RS in "formal" ways until late elementary. We did intro foreign languages. I mean, my introduction to RS was buying English US for my children with language learning delays.

-crystal

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:27 pm

I bought Rosetta Stone when my oldest was 7 and my twins were 4. My oldest has gone through it once and will use it again in high school and my twins are going through it now and will again in high school. That means we'll have used it 6 times. I think that's pretty good usage for the cost. I don't know the laws because I have a tendency to keep all my curricula for borrowing or for showing other homeschoolers what has worked for me.

We do spanish as it is the language most useful to us.
God Bless,
Dawn

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:01 pm

chris629 wrote:Ok I understand! I don't think RS would be a waste I really don't.

ut I would love to just try it so I will look at their website to see if they offer a trial of sort. My kids get bored with things if they don't understand it. They will seem interested in the difference in language but then after a few they get bored. Would that be enough for them to just hear it? Since they seem to really attach to how Dora does it I wonder if that would be the best way to go.
Rosetta Stone does have a 180 day return policy, even if you buy from MFW.

so, if you get it, try it and it really really doesn't work...
here's the RS return policy, and I hope Lucy can chime in to verify that I understood her on the phone that MFW honors that as an authorized retailer. just keep the receipt.
http://www.rosettastone.com/global/return
chris629 wrote:So when you're done with the program kids have grown or are doing so well that you won't need it anymore what do you do with it? .
I haven't gotten to that point yet in our journey. I don't know what we'll do. I just know for the number of years that we will use each language, I'm not too worried about it. It's almost like the training DVD's that I have for my job. I can't sell/give those away. What will I do with them in 5 years when my current certification is up?

It's almost like what do we do with our really really really old computer sitting upstairs that might be good for parts. or the really really really old 5.25 floppies in the closet holding the back up copy of my dh's phd dissertation. LOL well, ok, those are legal to get rid of , but .... just saying.... we don't know what to do with them either. nor the old high school and college yearbooks.....

and in terms of keeping my mfw manuals (legal to sell those)... they are keepsakes. I'll probably be buried with them LOL

-crystal

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:20 am

NCJessieRN wrote:Just wanted to throw this out. There is a program called Tell Me More and from what my friend said, it is just like Rosetta Stone. It is about the same price for 10 levels as one level of RS. There is a 7 day free trial if you wanted to try it out. I have never used this program but my friend loves it and I'm sure you could find reviews online.
I will give my review of Tell Me More....

don't use it below high school level
don't use it until you have at least 1 or 2 semesters of the language.

TMM would be a helpful resource as a language lab for helping business travelers, and/or bilingual office workers, or vacation needs. Conversations in TMM are about those topics. The grammar study in TMM is presented in English and I think a student needs to be doing well in English grammar and know those terms at minimum of 8th grade level to really get a lot out of the grammar in TMM. and yes, that's at level 1. Nothing wrong with those goals. If you have a high schooler who could benefit from "business skills" and conversation in other language, I could see a need for considering TMM.

unless the program has changed a lot in the last 3 years, that's my review in a nutshell.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:44 am

Yeah, we did Tell Me More online with our Library after they didn't renew the RS license... You would really need at least a year under your belt, and it really focuses on "business" and "vacation travel" not every day language.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog