Foreign Language - Can I add Latin to MFW? (and an alternative suggestion)

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
gratitude

Re: Latin-RS question

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:07 am

chris629 wrote:So would it be a waste to buy all levels of a language? Or would it be better to buy the first level just to make sure the kids take to it?
I am glad that I started with buying only level 1 of Rosetta Stone Spanish. There is plenty of material here for my seven year old, and I can see it taking longer than 1 year.

So price aside, I have loved this program for my ds7. Fabulous learning technique for teaching languages. My 5,4, & 2 are listening in when he does it so I think we are all learning. I am doing it too, and I think my ds7 learns from watching me do it as well.

My current challenge is I am only managing to remind us to do it about two days a week (it is on the ADV schedule for 4 days). I think it would be better if I increased it. Even at 2 days a week though he is picking it up easily.

I was interested in Latin too, from an academics stand point, but I decided that it would be more from an academic approach for later. For now I wanted him to experience speaking another language. Rosetta Stone has him speaking Spanish as part of the exercises, and the computer program says whether the pronunciation is correct. He is having a much easier time speaking it than me, and getting the green for correct.

We picked Spanish since he has shown tremendous interest in doing a mission trip to Mexico, and it was the country he picked for Awana for his country of interest. He wants to go there and build houses. I find this interesting since our church is all about an orphanage in Haiti.

I loved hearing about peoples mission trips!

Oh as for the Latin: MFW does Latin roots. My DH had Latin roots in school and still remembers them, and every once in awhile will tell us what a word means by its Latin root. My understanding has been that in many ways the roots are enough. For further study Veritas Press starts Latin fairly young (2nd grade?) and has a Latin program for young children.

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi Ladies,

Just confirming Crystal's comments that Rosetta Stone purchased from MFW may also be returned within 6 months of purchase. You will have to call the MFW office for the return.

We recommend saving your receipt for R. Stone. If you ever need to call R. Stone you will need to show proof of purchase for some instances, such as a new activation code.

Lucy

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:55 pm

We also went through CtG and RtR's Roots. It was very helpful, and we learned quite a lot. If DH wasn't so classical-minded, I don't know if we'd do anything but the Roots.

We have, use, and love Song School Latin. Very easy to use. You don't need the TM. Just the wkbk and the CD that comes with it. We do it aloud...I hold the book, asking ?s, we all sing. Lesson complete. I plan to buy Song School Greek once we are through SSL. Then move on into Latin for Children.

...we also have Wheelock's (VP's upper level Latin suggestion), and we are completely CLUELESS on how to even start with it.

We've looked into RS a few times. First for Hebrew, now for French (our girls are Ballerinas, and really want to learn French). I told DH that since it's the girls' idea, and they really want to do it, it would probably be worth the $...but then the boys will want to learn something else (not fancy-dancy French)...so ???
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

Scott_Thomas

Unread post by Scott_Thomas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:34 am

My .02 on Tell Me More: I agree with much of what others are saying. High school aged, but not the most useful program for younger students. And a knowledge of grammar terms is very helpful. This is a direct quote (I have the program): The preposition "a" (to) must be used in the following cases: Before a direct object referring to a person, i.e., a direct object which is a proper name, a common noun preceded by the definite article, by a demonstrative, by a possessive adjective, or by a numeral. (Thankfully, the immersion exercises demonstrate the behavior, before the student sees that.) I don't agree that it focuses on business and vacation terminology (though it does cover both of those). I do agree, though, that having a prior knowledge of the language is very helpful. However, I know that the beginning of the Spanish program used to be more advanced than it is now (there are pre-level 1 levels in my program, and that's new) . I would stick to using it for high school aged kids, though.

dhudson

Latin Question

Unread post by dhudson » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:57 am

kacairo1 wrote:Has anyone used Rosetta Stone for Latin in 2nd grade (Adventures)?
I have bought and tried Rosetta Stone Latin and I would say that it is not a great program for Latin. We love it for Spanish but Latin requires more chanting and memorizing of words and endings than you can do in Rosetta Stone.

I would keep looking :-) .
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Cyndi (AZ)

Latin vs Spanish

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:05 am

carlamom2ansnm wrote:Help me decide. I live in an area where Spanish could be very useful for my kids (and I want to learn it as well), but I know Latin is the base language for many languages, including Spanish. Should I just be patient and have them learn Latin now, or let them learn the more useful language now and work on Latin later? I want to take advantage of the Rosetta Stone sale right now :)
My personal opinion is to go with what it useful. What do your children want to learn? How can they use that language? Do they have native speakers they can communicate with? Is there a possibility for a mission trip where they will use that language in the future?

I wish I could tell you that we are more faithful with Rosetta Stone Spanish. It's the first thing to fall off the schedule when things get hinky - and it's been a few hinky months around here lately. But we live in AZ. Spanish was an obvious choice for lots of reasons, but the main reason was desire. Now, my dd is starting to get incredibly interested in French. I think, "OK, great. She (and I) can learn Spanish now and then she can do French for her High School credits." We'll see how God works that out for her.

When your children do CTG, they will learn a Greek word root every week for vocabulary. They will learn the root, its meaning and several ways to apply it to everyday words by using the dictionary and writing sentences. Then they will do the same for Latin in RTR.

It's your choice - as is everything in homeschool. Just sharing my thinking on it.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

cbollin

Re: Latin vs Spanish

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm not you. I"m me. If I were deciding on this for my family, this is how I would approach it. Your mileage may vary. Other people's mileage will vary.

I'd go with Spanish over Latin. learn Latin only if you have some academic reason that you desire. I'm sure many on this forum love to learn Latin.

Even if I were inclined to do Latin as a full course, I would not use Rosetta Stone for Latin. RS has the goal of speaking the target language. Those who elect to study Latin as a full course, are studying it for different goals than RS has for learning, so it's not the right tool for that language. and I"m a fan of Rosetta Stone.

what went into my family's decision to not be on the latin bandwagon? (again.. this is me for my family.. not some proclamation that it is wrong for others...)

I Never took Latin and yet, I was able to learn some French in high school and then Italian in college.
He Never took Latin, and yet my dh earned a phd in chemistry. He also minored in French in college undergraduate and never took Latin.
My brother in law never took full Latin, yet is an attorney. (a field with lots of latin words)
Oldest never took Latin, and my daughter is learning Russian.
Never took Latin - yet we somehow are learning English.
Never took German either and yet we are learning English. ;)
We learned "logic" with books written in English.
We learned English grammar with books written in English.

We do Latin and Greek roots. Nothing wrong or horrible about learning roots or even doing Latin. It just didn't fit our academic goals. everyone has their take on it... this article sums up my thoughts.
http://www.abasiccurriculum.com/homesch ... essay.html

Other people might do both Latin and Spanish.

so if you are looking to buy Rosetta Stone with the temp price drop on those levels.... you don't want RS for Latin to begin with. Not the right tool for "latin" study in academic setting. RS is a good way to learn speakable languages. I like this current price for level 1. I don't think I've ever seen it that low before.! like that!

As you do RS Spanish, I think you will find it your benefit to have a real tutor or online tutor to practice. Homeschool spanish academy is gaining popularity. I don't use it, but others do. Or if you know people in real life who can just talk with you and get real practice.. do that!
another option for the adult business learner (not the kids) is Tell Me More. that will have more business language and adult workplace conversations. think of it as language lab. But you still have to have real people to talk to. Yes, repeating of scripts is a good thing (we did that in college too), but real life stuff helps.
in any case, find someone to practice the language with you. online tutors, real life, all of it....

-crystal

carlamom2ansnm

Unread post by carlamom2ansnm » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:58 pm

I'm in Central California - Spanish is VERY prevalent in our area and I have been saying for 2 years that I would learn it purely for my business alone, but I haven't yet. I feel pulled, now that I'm in the homeschool world (finishing up our 1st year), to learn latin, but I'm really leaning toward staying away from it for now at least, to spend our time on Spanish. I have a feeling it would get accomplished more simply because of its usefulness in our lives. I just then feel guilty for not doing what would be "best" LOL. Need to get over that I think ;).

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:23 pm

Mine do both. Spanish because it is a very useful language and the language our family uses on missions trips. Latin because we wanted it as a vocab foundation.

I used RS for Spanish but not for Latin. Latin is learned very differently from modern languages and I only learned that after I bought a RS Latin. Oh well. ;)
God Bless,
Dawn

dhudson

Latin for Foreign Language

Unread post by dhudson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:02 pm

danabogan wrote:Has anyone used Latin Alive or Latin for the Christian Trivium? I am having a hard time choosing between the two and wanted to see if there were others who have used either.

Thanks,
Dana Bogan
We have used Lively Latin for the younger years and have really enjoyed it.
danabogan wrote:We have also been using Lively Latin and have also enjoyed it. But am looking to transition to high school Latin. I just wish I could choose between Latin Alive and Latin for the Christian Trivium :)
Last edited by dhudson on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless,
Dawn