Other Ideas for Exploring Countries and Cultures

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Other Ideas for Exploring Countries and Cultures

Unread post by Marie » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:11 pm

Share your ideas for Exploring Countries and Cultures.

Lisa B

Hymns

Unread post by Lisa B » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:11 pm

In accordance with the Charlotte Mason-style of teaching (and because I love using hymns in our homeschool!), I have developed a schedule for hymn learning and singing as we do ECC this year. Hymns are so wonderful for learning doctrine, the nature of God, memorization, poetry and music appreciation, vocabulary, love of God's creation and more. The verses can be written in a nature journal or used for copywork or dictation.

I've chosen mainly hymns with a nature or a missions focus to use this year. Here's my plan for learning a hymn per month:

Week 1: For the Beauty of the Earth

Week 5:We've a Story to Tell to the Nations

Week 9: Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee

Week 13: We Gather Together (Norwegian Folk Hymn)

Week 17: Fairest Lord Jesus (originally done in German language)

Week 21: Count Your Blessings

Week 25: I Sing the Mighty Power of God

Week 29: From Greenland's Icy Mountains (called the Missionary Hymn)

Week 33: This is My Father's World[/list]
Lisa
Mom to Chase (22), Bailey (20), Christian (17), Bethany (17), Hannah (14), Sarah (12), Joshua (10), Daniel (7), and Caroline (5)

tHe JoY Of tHe LORD iS mY sTreNgtH!

Julie in MN

ECC Extras

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:42 am

BOOK REPORTS:
This summer, we have been sharing our ECC notebooks with family members -- and enjoying looking back ourselves :o) The ECC countries, Bible writing, science pages, & photos of science & art projects are the highlight.

One of the only "extras" that is really special is our book reviews, and I thought I'd mention those here. There were so many great books in ECC! And I'm afraid if we hadn't documented some of them, we wouldn't have as many fond memories! We did 2 kinds:

1. Simple "book reviews" from Pizza Hut's "Book-It" program at http://www.bookitprogram.com under "reproducibles." Ds liked to "rate" the book with check marks, and I wrote his comments in quotes. We only did one or two per country, but ds liked choosing his favorites.

2. For the missionary biographies, ds typed up a description of the book, and we copied the photo and map in the book, or whatever we found online. He made true notebooking pages himself. This was where he showed real advancement in skill - because he really cared about the missionaries!

HYMNS:
Also, the teacher's manual does suggest learning a hymn per month & Lisa's hymn list above was very helpful. Heather, I believe, also posted about Hymns for a Kid's Heart (and Christmas Carols for a Kid's Heart is good, too), with a CD and book, which includes a little story, prayer, lyrics, & music. We didn't get to this until Christmas time & then again at the end of the year, but we very much enjoyed adding this to our Bible time. I even brought the music to ds's piano teacher & he taught ds to play as we sing along :o)

(Just as an aside, I have heard that MFW will include hymns in the lessons in U.S./World history, but I think even if we used the same hymns, there will be several years in between!)
faithmom wrote:Somewhere I had come across a suggested list of hymns for Ecc.
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:10 am
In ECC there has always been a recommendation to learn a hymn a month. A couple of options based on my experience with that:

- A few years ago, several of us boardies were using Hymns for a Kid's Heart for that. It's a nice option.

- The book MFW carries for hymns has many more than will be used in years 4 & 5, plus that's a long way off for your little ones, so that would be a nice resource. It includes music, words, and history.

- A local church hymnal would be another option.

- I agree with Rachel about the Wee Sing CD. My 6th grader still enjoys some of those songs -- especially the ones with hand motions. It's summer camp in our living room some days :o)

- Like Poohbee, we have several hymns as well as worship songs on CD and cassette -- a great opportunity to make use of materials we already have on hand by just scheduling it into our week.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:10 pm

I must post here. I have just recently found this post about hymn learning and singing. I wish I found it at the beginning of the year! I love this. We have started at week 13 "We Gather Together". We started singing this right before our Norway study, a week or so before, and wouldn't you know, this hymn is mentioned in the childrens' book "Cranberry Thanksgiving" which we had been reading!

Anyway, I am using this idea. Thank you Lisa for posting this. I think we are going to enjoy learning and singing some of these beautiful hymns.

Also, Julie, thanks for the book-it book review idea. I think that my dd will like to do this. I again, wish I had done in from the beginning. But, never too late to start now. I always look at these great links and wonder how all you moms find them! I am glad you do though. It really helps a mom like me who is busy chasing a baby around still! Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

g1one

Jan Brett and ECC

Unread post by g1one » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:07 pm

Hi,
If you like books by Jan Brett you have to check out her website. She has many pages to print off for the kids to color. She even has videos to watch that show how to draw a lion or an elephant.

On her site, I found a mural you can print out and have the kids color. This would go along with ECC so wonderfully. Not that anything has to be added to ECC.

Just thought I'd pass this along. Many days my youngest just wants to color while I read so this fits right in with our school work for ECC.

Enjoy!
Tara

jangreer

Finishing the Year

Unread post by jangreer » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:51 am

We are finishing our year with ECC and it has been great fun! We finished Antarctica this week and are taking next week to "complete" our notebooks. My kids are making covers, completing a few pages that were not finished etc. It's a great time to review and look at all we have done this year. We will have a feast over the weekend and the children will present their notebooks to Dad, recite some poetry, read a book and do some special presentations. Thanks for a fantastic year!
Jan in NC
10 yo CtG
8 yo Ctg
6 yo MFW1
2 yo

kelstin

Art, Music, Food

Unread post by kelstin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:25 pm

Hi. We will be using ECC this year. I haven't been able to buy it yet, but I am already planning. I thought it would be nice for us to pick one artist from each country (if we can find one) and do a light study. Then, the last Friday we study each country, my children will have the opportunity to create art in the style of that artist. I've already started making my list of artists.

I am a musician, so we are not lacking for music, but I feel that we just don't "do" enough art. So I want to make an effort this year to do more. I wanted to share this idea in case someone else wanted to try it too.

Of course, we will also talk about composers. And listen to SO much wonderful music!

And, we'll have special dinners for most countries. We did this with Adventures. We had special dinners featuring only foods from four different states (we called them four-state dinners). We tried so many delicious dishes. And we found that chili made the Ohio way is delicious (almost as good as Texas chili!). We actually did not finish all the states, so we'll be finishing up with a few more four-state dinners while we are doing ECC. For some countries we may go out to eat, but for most we will prepare all the food at home.

YooperMama

Currency Converter web site

Unread post by YooperMama » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:39 am

This site was easy to use to convert foreign currency...we used it w/ "A Gift for Mama" to find out how much 9 zlotys would be worth (before they changed its value). Then my ds was given a Mexican coin worth $500 pesos...we're trying to see it it's really worth $46!

http://www.ratesfx.com/rates/rate-converter.html
Jen,
2006-2007 Adventures, w/ a 3, 5 and 7 year old.
2007-2008 ECC, w/ the same children, a year older.

Julie - Staff

ECC - year end activity

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:38 pm
Author: DS4home

I had been thinking about a fun way to end the year and review where we went this year. I came up with the idea of putting together a lapbook that highlighted what their favorite part of each country was. How have you all ended your year in ECC? Please share!
Dawn

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:31 pm
Author: Tina

You've given me some things to think about..... We are wrapping up our year in ECC this week! My dc are very excited. They worked so hard this year.

I was thinking that I would have them review their notebooks and pick out their favorite (or best) work from each subject, and I could put it in a special notebook as highlights from this year.

I also did a lot of video taping of some of the activities in ECC (India costumes, middle eastern meal, australian dessert, etc) and it will be fun to review and watch those.

Also, I do plan to take them to something called a rainforest cafe. That will be a little treat to finish off the year.

We had a great year studying ECC.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Author: Elissa Baker

I'm not as creative as most of you, but one thing we did was I let the children each pick out a few of their favorite recipes we made through the year. Even my 4 yo dd picked out her favorites!

lyntley

ECC Christmas cards

Unread post by lyntley » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:46 pm

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:05 pm

ECC Christmas cards - I just thought these cards were too cool not to share. For you ECCers Walmart has photo Christmas cards that say "peace" in many languages. You can check them out on their site

steph3

Hymns

Unread post by steph3 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:44 pm

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:30 pm

Chrisian Book Dist. website has a neat thing - It's called The Kids Hymnal and CD pack. The book has stories, lessons, lyrics and guitar chords, etc.

What I'm really excited about is the music. There are 3 CDs with 60 hymns. Since there is a CD, I was thinking about getting this. Let me know what you think if anyone decides to check this out. Since our church rarely sings the old hymns, I thought this would be a great way for my kids to learn them and also the stories behind them.

TNLisa

Hymns

Unread post by TNLisa » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:45 pm

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:32 pm

Here's what we do - we read the "story" of a hymn then I go to the "cyberhymn" site and we listen to the hymn being played - and we sing along! It's a wonderful time of fellowship for us. I usually play the hymn a few more times (random times) during the 2 week period - nothing formal or rigid. We just enjoy the hymn.

Hope that helps!
Lisa

kenziekylanmom

National Geographic for kids

Unread post by kenziekylanmom » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:23 am

National Geographic for kids has a great area where you can find out great info, facts and pictures of the different countries around the world. Here is the link http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/Places/Find[url] If you don't have National Geographic ... ese pages![/url]
Jennifer
mommy to
Makenzie 8yrs-Korea
Kylan 6yrs-Korea

Julie - Staff

What to do with world stamps?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:01 pm

bethben wrote:I have a bunch of world stamps that I had collected over the years and would like to use them for ECC. I'm not sure how to use them. I would like them to be displayed somehow in the notebook but am not sure how to do this while relating it to the country. Any ideas?
Beth
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:58 am
Author: kellybell

Harris sells a nice paperback USA stamp album and I am pretty sure that it has a nice World stamp album too. These albums are inexpensive and have gray-tone pictures of the stamps plus room for stamps that aren't included in the pictures. Get some stamp hinges to attach the stamps to the albums.

Hobby Lobby and perhaps Michael's sell these things.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:19 pm
Author: lyntley

You can just mount them on a piece of card stock and file them in that section of the notebook. We also exchanged postcards worldwide with "Postcrossing". You can mount any post cards right along with them. You can mount currency or photos of currency as well. Those kinds of things are neat to add to country Lapbooks too if you decide to do that. Just some ideas...I have pix of some Lapbooks my kiddies made on my blog

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:25 pm
Author: dhudson

Could you possibly use them in the passport that your child will create at the beginning of the year? That way as you "enter" into a new country they can get a stamp for the country you're in.

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:37 pm
Author: TurnOurHearts

Just seconding Dawn's idea for the passport. You're already creating a keepsake in the passport ~ it would be neat to add the stamp with the flag sticker, IMO. My kids' passports will be stored in their notebooks permanently. :)

mamanamadee

Hymns

Unread post by mamanamadee » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:29 pm

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:18 pm

Here is the list our family is using next year--some don't really fit with the countries, but at least I already know almost all of these! :-)

Intro: This is My Father's World
US: Great is Thy Faithfulness
Mexico: Doxology
Canada: What a Friend We Have in Jesus
Brazil: Christ the Lord is Risen Today
Norway: Wonderful Grace of Jesus
France: For the Beauty of the Earth
Germany: Fairest Lord Jesus
Kenya: Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus
Saudi Arabia: Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
India: Holy, Holy, Holy
China: Jesus I am Resting, Resting
Japan: Jesus Shall Reign
Russia: How Great Thou Art
Australia: Search Me O God
Antarctica: Joyful, Joyful, Adore Thee

I already had one hymn per month picked out, but then used Crystal's link to expand it to a hymn for each unit. HTH someone.

hsmomof5

Unread post by hsmomof5 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:17 am

ECC does have some experiments but here's one that we are adding for our science loving gang. Janice VanCleave's Science Around the World

cbollin

help for geography research

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:05 am

Help for when your child feels stuck on the advanced research packet. (2nd edition manuals include some of this. First edition does not. Hope it helps anyone)

Each continent has the same kind of research pages in World Geography.

Boundary and Physical map – no research needed
Physical Geography page – no research needed (read it, notebook it, or highlight)
Physical Features – check the package atlas books and maps in ECC if needed. (that means Intermediate World Atlas is a really good book to use with World Geography)
Rivers – use the clues given to match the names and locations. wall map and check the Intermediate World Atlas book too :)

For the Mountains:

for print, try an almanac. World Almanac and Book of Facts has mountain range lists.

we used (link removed to history channel website until I find the article. they moved it somewhere)
Special note on that site....
The only things missing were the heights of 2 mountains on the Oceania page b/c those mountains are location in the Pacific Ocean, but not really as part of "Oceania". A quick google search on "height mauna kea" "height mauna loa" will take care of that. wikipedia.

Bodies of Water –
Use Intermediate World Atlas (from basic package) for the Bodies of Water and use the Physical map page for each continent,
South American use p. 54, note:Lake Poopo and the Gulf of Guayaquil are not listed on this page, but both of those are listed on page 24 of Illustrated World Atlas. (well, Guayaquil is implied because the city is shown by the body of water. Look near Quito Ecuador)
and again, my daughter wants to clue in other kid that the dotted lines in World Geography page on the bodies of water means it is a water border. All solid lines means it is land locked.

Deserts page
Use a dictionary to help define those terms and have child write definition. That's what this page seems to be about.

Vegetation:
color the map. Look in illustrated world atlas for a plant/animal specific to the region. List something special to the region.

Islands – map activity. Use physical maps in Intermediate World Atlas. When it wasn’t clear from those maps (such as two of them in South America), we did a fast internet search with terms such as "curacao coordinates" and got it from. (hint: it's the Neth. Ant.) Please note that for Antarctica that not everything was listed in the Intermediate World Atlas. Don't get too hung up on that part :D It's ok to skip or check answer in answer key if curious.

Climate page – all information is on the page for those.

Products and Resources.
Plan to go to the library for these. Go find World Book Encyclopedia. The big hint to completing these pages???? Look up the individual product. :-) You should find a chart, graph or list that way. It will list world leaders in the product by country, you will have to sort those countries to the correct continent.
Personal side of those pages:
We managed to find most of it to be able to complete most of the worksheets. My daughter and I spent one weekend afternoon at the local library finding as much as possible. Then we just filled in the information for all of the continents natural resources pages that day. She will analyze them and answer the questions as we come to it. When we couldn't find it in World Book, we did quick internet search using terms such as "wool world producer" and found charts from online encyclopedias, wikipedia was fine enough.

Animals page: Great Animal Search was helpful as was book basket books. But most of that was process of elimination for my kids.
For endangered animals
http://www.extinctanimal.com/endangered ... ptiles.htm
and wikipedia for a color picture helped with llama and alpaca and vicuna
Another endangered site (I mentioned this in the Ideas Forum for Norway weeks)
Europe endangered species -- This one lists by all continents. http://www.earthsendangered.com/continent.asp?ID=6
I didn't bother to find a print resource for endangered species. But I did see at my library some books on endangered species.

Human Geography Page – no research needed. just notebook some facts, or highlight some items.

Population Page-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population
Also, I didn't research a print source for the Challenge question. Most of what you need for this page is on the page itself except for the challenge question. We skipped the challenge question for N.A. and S.A.

Cities page – use the clues on the page and wall map and or Intermediate World Atlas. Please note on Europe Cities, #2 is a typo and it's clue doesn't match. publishing error. life goes on.

Language Page.
Look in World Book Enc. for the entry for each country.
Look in World Almanac and Book of Facts for each country
or
https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... index.html
or
http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/a ... guages.htm

Religions Page – no research needed. analysis of the data is the point of the page.

Traditional Clothing Page – we just looked in book basket for pictures to look at. Didn’t make extra notebooking pages due to lack to interest. But thought about using the National Geographic magazines for that for my 4th grader who was interested. We had lots of old magazines from the recycling center to use if needed.

Hope some of that helps you to help your children.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

trinabambina

Re: Other Ideas for Exploring Countries and Cultures

Unread post by trinabambina » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:02 pm

This is a great song that lists ALL the countries in 2 minutes...a good challenge to learn the whole thing by the end of the year! :) [ search youtube for " Round the World Trip - in under 2 minutes "Tongue Twister" , prem73 " ]
Trina
Wife to Steve for over 23 years
Mom to Sweet Girl 10, Jalapeno 8 & Pineapple 7.

CtG 2011-2012++
ECC - 2010-2011
Adventures - 2009-2010
MFW 1st Grade - 2008-2009
MFW K - 2007-2008

Kenna

Unread post by Kenna » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:07 pm

YWAM Publishing has a great series for younger students called "Heroes for Young Readers". The missionary read-alouds included in the ECC Deluxe package come from this publishing company. They sell younger reader versions of all six missionary biographies that are a part of ECC. Their website is: HTTP://WWW.ywampublishing.com

mandm115

Survey of Forgien Languages w/ ECC

Unread post by mandm115 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:39 pm

It depends on the age of your children but since this was our first year homeschooling 6th and 7th grade we decided during ECC to teach the basics of Spanish, French, and German. We did this for free with BBC languages and another website called digital dialects. For 1/3 of the year we did BBC Mi Vida Loca (http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/mividaloca), for 1/3 of the year we did French with (http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primaryfrench) and now we are about to begin German. This one is a little tougher in the US (http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/talk) because you have to click the bottom right hand side for narrow bandwidth. As we went along we supplemented with games from digital dialects. Next year they can start a foreign language in depth but they will always be able to say basic phrases in all three languages now.

whitetami

Unread post by whitetami » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:45 pm

Last year we explored countries and cultures. Along the way, I found some great additions to use along with the curriculum

If you go to my blog http://www.empoweringthefamily.com or you can paste this http://empoweringthefamily.com/my-top-1 ... d-and-ecc/ in your browser you can find my TOP 10 Resources for ECC