Weeks 31-32 Australia

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Weeks 31-32 Australia

Unread post by Marie » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:17 pm

Weeks 31-32
Australia

Additional ideas might be located on other boards:
Kindergarten / Octopus: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 2&start=25
Kindergarten / Kangaroo: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34
First Grade / Under the Sea: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3550
ECC / Japan: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=153

lmjmann

Unread post by lmjmann » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:38 pm

Virtual Great Barrier Reef from National Geographic
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/earth ... flash.html
Laura M.
Laura in MO
www.ubah.com/W1525

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:40 pm

Thanks for the website. Also, IMAX has a video out that's at some theaters now about the Great Barrier Reef (we saw it at a natural history museum in April).

Oh, today we read some Australia books and in one book (I forget which one) they said that one treat that kids enjoy is "fairy bread" which is white bread, smeared with butter, and then sprinkled with "sprinkles" or colored sugar. That's an easy treat for someone (like me) that isn't into big cooking projects. Yummmmm...

G'day mates,

Kelly
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Julie in MN

AUSTRALIA

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat May 21, 2005 10:12 pm

1. We loved trying Kiwis! We didn't know what was a fresh kiwi or anything, so we tried several color & hardness choices, and enjoyed a "taste test," like we often did with foods from other countries. Also on our trip to the grocery, we noticed the kiwis were from Chile, and talked about how far they had come for only 3/$1! Ds has a true understanding of that after doing ECC :o)

2. We had bought the extra Hero Tales book earlier this year, & continued reading about heros. Eric Liddell (who refused to run in the Olympics on Sunday) was especially exciting for ds. (Also see Lori's note under China.)

3. We combined the two long Writing Strands stories near the end of that book, and ds really "got into" his story. The "audience" he chose to write for was his older brother, and when finished we had his "audience" critique the final draft via e-mail, instead of mom (after I sent a list of what the assignments were to accomplish). It was really a good experience for ds.

4. At convention we got what I think is a new YWAM biography on Florence Young, who is from Australia/New Zealand. Her mission field extended to several areas, & she interacted with some of the other missionaries from YWAM bios and Hero Tales (who ds always enjoys hearing about again). The mission field in the treacherous oceans & isolated islands is quite a different experience to read about! We are enjoying continuing our missionary read-alouds thru the end of the year, and are so glad ECC encouraged us on this journey!

Pictures of Florence in China &
Solomon island schoolhouse
http://www.pnc.com.au/~voyager/voyagerf ... mbing3.htm

5. There wasn't a YWAM guide for this book yet, so I made a list of vocab words to learn, one from each chapter. E-mail me if this would be useful to you.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:02 pm

G'day mates! How ya going?

If you are hoping to try some different Aussie foods, here's a nice site for that. If you are a chocolate fan, try Tim Tams -- they are Australian's #1 selling biscuit (cookie) However, I hear that Americans don't like the taste of Musk Sticks. (it's supposed to be a favorite candy)

(The company is located in the US)

http://www.everythingaustralian.com/ausfood.html
Last edited by cbollin on Sun May 14, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Sun May 14, 2006 4:02 pm

We are wrapping up our study in Australia today. We had a nice mother's day meal cooked by daddy and then had a nice dessert that Nana and dc made, an australian dessert, Lamington's. It was very tasty and fun to make. Tomorrow, I am going to make the Pavola. (see "Cooking the Australian Way" in TM)

For this study, we wished it was a week longer. An interesting country and a neat continent to study. We marveled at the diversity of land in Australia, from the outback, all the way to the coasts. My 10 yo only did some of the packet from World Geography--didn't have a lot of time on this continent!

We read the Twenty-One Balloons and it was a fun story. Dc laughed a lot at Professor Sherman's experience on Krakatoa.

Look What Came from Australia. We made the boomerangs referenced in this book. We tried a couple of different kinds of cardboard for it, thin and thick. It was fun to paint and design them, however, I don't think they are going to withstand being thrown in the air (and we can't do that because we've had rain non-stop here in MA!)

The book Down Under by Tessa Paul was a key book of reference about animals for the second week in Australia, where TM says to research the animals found in Australia. This was adequate enough (I think) for my 7 yo and 10 yo. We did a lot of other reading on koalas and kangaroos. Also , the book What is a Marsupial? has a very gross picture of a tasmanian devil eating. The dc thought it was really repulsive, yet loved looking at it! Just to warn you, it is yucky!

I have the kiwis to do the planting. We haven't planted the seeds yet and dc are not going to let me out of that one. We are really interested in seeing them sprout. Also, we all found it interesting that a bird is named a kiwi, too. We like eating the kiwi.

Dc thought it really neat that Australia has ties to Great Britian and they recognized the flag. Also, New Zealand has a very similar flag as well.

Well, two weeks left in Antarctica.
(Oh, we did watch some Steve Irwin, crocodile hunter, too. Both dc enjoyed him! Also, many artists of today are from Australia--the Wiggles, Rebecca St. James and the News Boys. Dc liked that! Now they know where the "accent" comes from.)
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

Julie - Staff

Art question cocnerning Australia in ECC

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:53 am

CharleneHoell wrote:Has anyone done the T-shirt with the fabric crayons? I really want to do this, and my kids will love it, but I have never used fabric crayons before. Are the directions in Global Art sufficient or has anyone had to tweak this to get it to work well?
Charlene
Postby niki » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:53 am
My kids did this last year...I couldn't find fabric crayons, so we used regular crayons and it work out ok. The "softer" crayons worked better and we really colored it in thick. One shirt didn't work out at all, the other two did ok - needless to say, the kids loved them no matter what. :)
kellybell wrote:Was one shirt all cotton and the other a blend? We did some tie-dying last summer and the cotton blend shirt didn't work nearly as well (very faded looking) as the all-cotton one. I've used fabric crayons before and they work well.
Kelly
Postby niki » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:28 pm
I'm sure they were a cheap cotton blend on sale at Michael's craft store!!?? ;)
CharleneHoell wrote:Where did you purchase the fabric crayons?
Postby Amy in NC » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:55 pm
Charlene,
We got our fabric crayons at either AC Moore or Hobby Lobby, but I'm pretty sure any craft store would have them. We actually never used them. We never got around to making those t-shirts, but we did do the tye dye. Niki was right, the all cotton shirt had much more vibrant colors than the cotton blend. I'm not sure if the same holds true with the crayons.

s_duguid

Australia idea - Sydney Opera house model

Unread post by s_duguid » Wed May 06, 2009 11:19 am

Here is a link to make your own Sydney Opera House model. Make sure you follow the links for second page. I actually used the pdf version.
http://www.papertoys.com/sydney-opera-house.htm

Here goes . . . my first attempt to attach photos

I do have some hints: The cutting is pretty intricate so I did that. I had my daughter do the folding and glueing. The base tabs and "triangle" walls should be folded towards you not away and the tabs for the "sails" should be folded away from you.

Have fun!
Sue
Attachments
Tori & model of SOH sm.JPG
Tori & model of SOH sm.JPG (40.39 KiB) Viewed 11871 times
Sydney Opera House small.JPG
Sydney Opera House small.JPG (59.25 KiB) Viewed 11871 times
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

RachelT

Re: Weeks 31-32 Australia

Unread post by RachelT » Thu May 20, 2010 6:42 am

Australia has so many fun animals! Some of the library books that I found were "A Kangaroo Joey Grows Up" and "A Koala Joey grows up". We also read the Magic School Bus about coral reefs.

We also enjoyed reading "Wombat Goes Walkabout" and "The Pumpkin Runner" from the book list.
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

mgardenh

Cooking help ECC-Austrailia Asap

Unread post by mgardenh » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Hello,

We are making the Australian Meat Pie in a Trip around the world. It says to combine the first 8 ingredients. Does anyone know do I brown the ground meat first or just do it raw. I have never done a dish like this without browning first but wanted to check since it doesn't say!
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

Julie - Staff

Cooking help ECC-Austrailia Asap

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:05 pm

mgardenh wrote:We are making the Australian Meat Pie in a Trip around the world. It says to combine the first 8 ingredients. Does anyone know do I brown the ground meat first or just do it raw. I have never done a dish like this without browning first but wanted to check since it doesn't say!
Postby jasntas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:05 pm
I'm not sure either. It's pretty inconclusive. I googgled 'Australian meat pie recipe ground beef' and most recipes stated that you are to cook the meat first. Only one I found described it the way it's described in the "Trip Around the World" book. Most other recipes called for steak in different forms and they were all cooked first.

The link to the one is here:
http://www.answers.com/topic/australian-meat-pie

I would probably cook it first. Sorry. I don't think I was much help.

Postby mgardenh » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:28 pm
Thank you,
It what I thought but wasn't sure. I will just brown it first!

Postby MuzzaBunny » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:46 pm
Yep, my dh is an Aussie and he says you always brown the meat first :)

Postby Carina » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:52 am
I also have an Aussie DH who says always brown the meat first! :)

mommccoy

Waltzing Matilda

Unread post by mommccoy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:36 am

"Waltzing matilda, waltzing matilda, you'll come a waltzing matilda with me..." We found a great rendition of this song on YouTube sung by Slim Dusty. Many Australians consider it their national anthem. We had a lot of fun learning the words, and figuring out what things were... such as a billibong, a swagman, and a tucker bag. We still sing it to this day and remember the fun we had learning about Australia.

Another fun song to find on YouTube is called "My Boomerang Won't Come Back" written by Charlie Drake.

I got to introduce my boys to the Crocodile Hunter as well. They were so impressed with him catching crocodiles in Australia that they began to dream of doing it when they grew up too. Many of his videos are at the library or on YouTube.

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:43 pm

I found an inexpensive animals DVD in Target one day so I picked it up. It's part of a series called 'Animal Atlas'. This DVD is entitled 'Animal Passport'. This particular DVD has segments about animals from Africa, Australia and Asia. One thing I really like about the DVD is that the beginning of each segment gives a brief geography lesson and shows a map of the area or areas the animals are from. (I also have this DVD posted on the Africa and China section of the board.)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

AussieLassie

Cooking help & Kiwifruit

Unread post by AussieLassie » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:03 am

mgardenh wrote:Hello,

We are making the Australian Meat Pie in a Trip around the world. It says to combine the first 8 ingredients. Does anyone know do I brown the ground meat first or just do it raw. I have never done a dish like this without browning first but wanted to check since it doesn't say!

I'm an Aussie and just HAD to comment on this request even though it is from an old thread......just in case anyone else is wondering......please, please, please brown the meat first! I haven't seen this recipe (we will be starting ECC this term - our first adventure into MFW) but if it is a real Aussie meat pie and you start with raw mince the meat would never have time to cook through before the pie pastry burnt - eeeeek!

Are Kiwifruit just called Kiwis in the US? The comments I saw here about eating Kiwis had me confused for a while....the fruit is known as Kiwifruit in Australia, Kiwis are flightless birds from NZ, or New Zealanders themselves!

Happy to help if anyone has any questions about Oz :-)

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks for the heads up about browning the meat in the Australian Meat Pie recipe.

Yes, kiwi in the U.S. is the fruit not a bird or a person. HTH. :)

cbollin

Re: Cooking help & Kiwifruit

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:04 pm

[quote="AussieLassie]

Are Kiwifruit just called Kiwis in the US? The comments I saw here about eating Kiwis had me confused for a while....the fruit is known as Kiwifruit in Australia, Kiwis are flightless birds from NZ, or New Zealanders themselves!

Happy to help if anyone has any questions about Oz :-)[/quote]

G'day and welcome to the board!

and just to let you know, if you ever hear us rooting for each other, that is not the same word in America as the slang term in Oz. It simply means, we are cheering and encouraging each other toward a goal, like one would root or cheer for a time. It is a very polite word in American English slang. I'm serious.
I learned that one the hard way on a primarily Ozzie board once upon a time and laughed and blushed for a while.

-crystal

AussieLassie

Unread post by AussieLassie » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:29 am

cbollin wrote: I learned that one the hard way on a primarily Ozzie board once upon a time and laughed and blushed for a while.

-crystal

ROFL......how embarrassing! When I was studying in the US I once asked for an eraser using the Aussie term (rubber), &) lol!

I'm really looking forward to ECC with my three girls this term. Our school year started in January so I am a bit late getting started on MFW, but it does mean that any seasonal activities should tie in nicely as we are now in our Autumn :-)

Blessings from the other side of the world, Ngaire

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Mon May 16, 2011 12:16 am

We included the following two books while studying coral reefs. The Coral Reefs: Colorful Underwater Habitats by Laura Purdie Salas book went along really well with the information we learned in our Properties of Ecosystems science book. It really simplified the information. The book One Night in the Coral Sea by Sneed B. Collard III was another one we really enjoyed. It describes how and when the coral reproduce.

We also enjoyed making the Koala Treats from the Global Art book. I included pictures in the next post below.

An art project I added from the Zoobooks Kangaroo book was called Bark Art. It's designed to mimic aboriginal bark paintings. (FYI, Zoobooks have a lot of evolutionary content but I usually either skip it or discuss it with my dc.)

My ds etched a platypus and my dd etched an emu. These look better in 'real life'.
Bark project for Australia 2011.jpg
Bark project for Australia 2011.jpg (47.3 KiB) Viewed 11124 times
You need a paper bag, a spoon or popsicle stick and a yellow, orange and dark brown crayon. Tear an 8X8 inch square out of the bag. Color one side with a thick layer of yellow crayon. Color over the yellow with an orange crayon. Use a dark brown crayon to color over the orange and cover the remaining spaces. Design an animal on a piece of scratch paper. Then carefully etch your design in the crayon layers using the handle of a spoon or a popsicle stick.
Last edited by jasntas on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:53 pm

We also made the Koala Treats from our Global Art book. They were made from powdered sugar and peanut butter mixed together and then rolled in cocoa powder. The eyes, ears and legs were raisins. The more my ds worked on his the more squashed his became. Both kids enjoyed their treats when they were completed and photographed.
Justin's Koala Treat.jpg
Justin's Koala Treat.jpg (70.1 KiB) Viewed 11036 times
Carissa's Koala Treat.jpg
Carissa's Koala Treat.jpg (67.38 KiB) Viewed 11036 times

zaida19

Hymne to talk about Matthew Day 2

Unread post by zaida19 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:35 pm

We read about the Lord's Supper, and found the hymn that they might have sang. Psalm 118
http://quietube6.com/v.php/http://www.y ... Car0doxhDg It was nice to have sung it after we read such a revealing and rewarding passage.

We also read Fish is Fish by Leo Lionni which was such a nice story to incorporate being thankful in everything, The coral reef is beautiful, as well as the islands, the jungles, the mountains. Here is a wonderful video http://vimeo.com/39374062 to see after you get the book.