Weeks 21-22 Saudi Arabia

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Weeks 21-22 Saudi Arabia

Unread post by Marie » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:20 pm

Weeks 21-22
Saudi Arabia

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:45 am

When we learned that the Arabic writing on the Saudi flag says something along the lines that Allah is god, we were uncomfortable posting THAT in our house (along the other country flags we had colored or put together). So, we colored the flags but put "You shall have no other gods before me" on a piece of white paper and covered up the Arabic writing and then we felt okay about displaying it in our house.

Oh, we also visited a mosque during our study of Saudi Arabia. They were very nice to us and explained what was going on (they had religious ed classes going on when we were invited to visit). The visit gave our children some faces (more than just names) to pray for.

The president of the local Islam society was there working with the boys and he took time out to write the names of all four of our children in Arabic on an index card. The card remains on our bulletin board.

Kelly
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Sue in MN

Unread post by Sue in MN » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:22 am

My dc really enjoyed the book Ali and the Golden Eagle which I read aloud. Our library didn't have it so I bought it from Sonlight. They also drew a golden eagle and a camel for their notebooks by following Book 8 Animals of the World. Part Two - Dry Land Animals of the Draw Write Now series. Draw Write Now is an eight book series that is a wonderful addition to ECC. It shows step by step how to draw different animals and other things. It also has simple statements about the picture to copy and suggested books to read.

Kim

Unread post by Kim » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:04 pm

Author: Kim
Date: 3/23/2004

When we colored the flag and discovered what it said, I asked the kids what they thought about that. They both know it's an untruth, but that's what the religion of Islam teaches. We then discussed the truth referring to Bible verses. When we were finished, without being told, the kids both wrote "Pray for this nation" across the top of their flags and we displayed them on our bulletin board. Whenever we walked by and saw them, we would remember to pray that God's truth be revealed to the nation of Saudi Arabia and its people. :-) Kim

Julie in MN

Saudi Arabia

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:31 pm

1. I printed out the other comments above, about the Saudi flag, & read them to ds on the flag coloring day. That was a great resource, thanks! Ds was not very bothered, & said they just needed to hear the word... However, I told him that we are concerned & need to do our writing on the back today by either writing a Bible verse or a prayer about this flag.

2. I really liked the activity where we tried to copy the Arabic alphabet. *Mom* did it too, in order to generate enthusiasm. We had seen different alphabets throughout the year in Wee Sing, but this time he looked much closer & absorbed much more. (Thanks Marie!)

3. Ds loves the Israel song in Wee Sing. We read a little of "A Kibbutz in Israel," to help explain the song further.

4. We used the desert terrarium idea at
homeschoolinthewoods.com/UnitStudies/desert-rainforestL1-3.htm
We haven't had much success with plants in Minnesota this winter, so we now have a "scene" even if nothing grows! And we added a plant light & a covered box to make it warmer for the new sprouts -- we actually have cacti! Anyways, Amy has some good ideas on her site, right in line with ECC.

5. With the bag of sand for our terrarium (Toys-R-Us $4.99), we also did the little camel experiment in ECC -- so simple, but memorable. Ds has even has referenced it since then!

6. By the way, we brought his ECC geography notebook to "project night," as it's that time of year in our homeschool group. Ds made a cover & added a science biome to each continent. I put the 4x6 vocabulary cards into photo sleeves, along with some photos of our experiments which dh printed for us. Ds received nice compliments, and I think it was good for him to see all that he has learned. I must say that any extra "worksheet" type things I have added over the year were NOT as impressive as the hand work & independent thinking of the basic ECC activities!
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

virginiamorgan

Islam

Unread post by virginiamorgan » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:34 pm

I am so glad we started our year studying the different religions. We reference them all the time, and we have a chart on the wall for each. It's so significant to say, "why do the people in Saudi Arabia (or that guy in Taco Bell...) dress like that?" We talk about how the country's religion, whether people practice it devoutly or not, has such an effect on the culture.

We were watching "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" recently and the kids were like, "hey, that guy (Morgan Freeman) is a Muslim!" as he asks, "which way is East?" and unrolls his rug to pray.

So as we start our study of Saudi Arabia, I said to the kids something about people making a pilgrimage to Mecca, the birthplace of Mohammed, and my dd (10) says "oh, the prophet." I'm like, well, yeah, and she goes, "you know Mom: There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet?" It knocked my socks off that she remembered that and we made a quick segue into whether Allah was indeed God, and whether Mohammed was any kind of prophet! Kids are so funny. They totally got that the Muslims are mistaken, but their only concern was whether it was okay to call God Allah....I'll have to do some homework on that one.

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:10 pm

We finished our trip to Saudi Arabia this week and have had some things to share.

--The flag. We did as Kelley did, wrote out Ex. 20:3 "thou shall have no other gods before me". We still colored it and put it into our notebook.

--I liked the book "A ticket to Saudi Arabia". We did the activity in there where we traced Saudi Arabia and some of the other middle eastern countries and colored the red sea red and the persian gulf blue and labeled some of the other countries. This book is kid friendly--nice pictures and easy text for younger ones.

--We couldn't find an Arabic tape at the library so we picked up Hebrew. We listened to this and the dc thought it really interesting that Hebrew is also read backwards, as is arabic, for the book that went along with the tape started at the back and went to the front. They found that interesting.

--Art. We had no luck growing anything. I still wished we had done the other half of that craft, with the box and magazine pictures. This will be one to save for the spring or summer.

--Cooking. I had fun with this. I made a complete middle eastern meal. I hope that they all eat it tomorrow when I serve it!

So far, I have not had any luck getting my dc to eat any of the things from each country that I prepare! LOL. Still having fun with it and looking forward to going to India, my dd's favorite country and missionary, Amy Carmichael.
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

tiffany

Saudi Arabia global art & lentils

Unread post by tiffany » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:11 pm

From Tiffany:
I was wanting to do the No-Ruz centerpiece on page 58 in Global Art.
Where do I get lentil seeds? Will dried lentils work? Actually I would be happy to use any kind of seed that will work.
Anyone tried this, or have any input?
Thanks.

From Julie in MN:
I also couldn't find lentil seeds per se, but only found lentils at the grocery store near the dried peas & such. We didn't try to grow them so don't know if they'd work (let me know if you try it & it works!). They probably would have worked, but we have so much trouble getting plants to grow here in Minnesota...
P.S. Lima beans sprout very well on paper towels.

From KellyBell:
I make my own bread, starting with the wheat grains (milling them into flour). Anyway, we used that wheat and it did fine. I think we also threw in some other dried things (beans, etc.) from the cupboards, but I remember the wheat doing well. It made a pretty centerpiece. However, it didn't last long before the mold set in, turning it from an art project into an interesting science activity.

So, if you make bread or know a friend who makes bread (or know a health food store that sells the grains of wheat) give that a try. It's a fun project and I am looking forward to doing it when we do ECC again in a few years.

From Tina:
..........I think I am remembering reading somewhere that lima beans sprout too......... I do believe that mustard seeds will sprout on a moist sponge too. We did that last year as part of a co-op (I am almost sure it was mustard seeds)

From Tiffany:
We did make hummus though, and that was a success. If we can finish a food or an art project for each country, I feel like I've done my job.

From Tina:
The lima beans sprouted! Or should I say two of the.......15 or so sprouted! I was more excited than the dc!

I didn't soak them, I put them on a wet paper towel, however, I had to keep wetting the paper towel because it is so very dry in this house. Also, I think they have sat for almost a week (at least 5 days) before I have seen a sprout.

Thanks for responding. I know what you mean about the art and cooking. I think so far I have done at least one of those things for each country. I try to stick to the "easier" recipes, mostly too because the dc are picky about what I have made and won't eat it. They try it and don't like it and I eat most of it myself! (tropical fruit salad from Africa was one of my favorites!)

We are almost thru with Saudi Arabia. Talk to you in another country!

humpty

Fantastic Resource for Saudia Arabia

Unread post by humpty » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:28 am

Voice of the Martyrs has an activity and informational book called Bold Believers in Saudi Arabia. It is $10 and is jam-packed with information about the peoples, their religion (Islam) the difference in Islam and Christianity, activities, recipes, games, and so much more.

They also have a book called Learning About Islam ($10).

They also sell YWAM's video The Hidden Half (6). An informative children's video explaining Islam and showing Muslim people in their countries. 8-minutes.

Voice of the Martyrs website for children is www.kidsofcourage.com

This link has some charts comparing Christianity with Islam (scroll down on the page) http://www.persecution.com/link/archives.cfm

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:41 am

kellybell wrote:When we learned that the Arabic writing on the Saudi flag says something along the lines that Allah is god, we were uncomfortable posting THAT in our house (along the other country flags we had colored or put together).
I don't remember what I did the first time we did ECC (2003). But just this morning, we are on week 22 with the Saudi flag. Like others, I was uncomfortable with that flag. We looked at it. Studied it. Enjoyed our stickers, but.....

Instead, we used the Israel flag that is in Another Trip Around the World. The music this week in Wee Sing is a song from Israel, so why not take a quick side trip. We also grabbed some Schelessinger Media videos on Turkey and Israel and Jordan. So I didn't have a problem using one of the other flags.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Re: ECC Saudi Arabia

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:12 pm

RB wrote:Looking ahead to next week I see that the book basket list is slim for Saudi Arabia. I could only find 2 books through ILL!! Any other ideas for books/videos/resources?
I got some "extra" books when we did Saudi Arabia (actually, we won't finish until this next Tuesday). They were "Countries of the Middle East," "The Need for Oil," and "Religions of the Middle East." Our library system has two levels for kids J1 (up to age 8 or 9) and J2 (9 and up) - these were all "J2" books. I didn't preview them, but I wanted dd to just get a feel for the Middle East. I thought the "Oil" book was probably good so she would understand more about that resource in that part of the world.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:29 am

What about looking for info on Israel books, or another nearby country to help with basket? Israel was in the Another Trip Around the World. Maybe those pages could be "book basket" reading for this week. For other "book basket" reading, use other parts Window on the World. Turn to p. 112-113 of WotW. Look at the map. you can see in the ECC TM which ones are covered in weeks 21, and 22, but them you can see a whole bunch of other pages that weren't covered this year. Why not use those for book basket time?

-crystal

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:37 am

I also looked for books on camels, oil, Middle East, and deserts. That filled up the basket okay.

The first year that we did ECC, we actually visited (we called ahead) the local mosque and they were kind to show us around. It's a tiny mosque in a storefront but had all the trappings of a bigger one. The leader there (his title was President of the Islam Society or something like that) wrote the kids' names in Arabic on an index card that still is on our bulletin board. How cool.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

s_duguid

Unread post by s_duguid » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:19 pm

I agree with the above. It was hard to find books, and everything is so slanted to the religion that it left us feeling depressed. We were able to complete the section in a week and a half.

A few book basket suggestions that we enjoyed:
Merry-go-rounds by Art Thomas: Presents the history of merry-go-rounds which had their beginning in Arabia more than nine hundred years ago.

How the Camel Got His Hump by Rudyard Kipling from Just So Stories (we found this in a picture book at our library): Relates how the idle camel got a hump on his back

stories from Arabian Nights - we did "Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves" and "Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp" (when I do library searches for book basket, I usually include folk and/or fairy tales). I must warn you, although my dd loved the stories, the picture books we read had some parts that were a little gruesome IMO. Please look over first before reading.

from Schlessinger Media dvds: Arab-American Heritage (this series is excellent, although a little corny); Ramadan

Maybe this can help someone in the future.

God bless,
Sue
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

RBS in OH

Re: Weeks 21-22 Saudi Arabia

Unread post by RBS in OH » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:46 pm

In looking for a camel to draw (for one of the activities on pg. 62 of A Trip Around the World), I stumbled on an interesting website about Saudi Arabi.

http://www.toursaudiarabia.com/index.html

It has a photo gallery with a camel giving birth and then the baby first standing up; you can hear "hello" and "good-bye" spoken in Arabic; you can hear the national anthem; see pictures of an oasis and more; and the camel coloring book (that was the "model" camel for my drawing). The site has more interesting information, including a link to the current ruling leader and a little trivia quiz at the end.

It's not a Christian site; it explains their "pillars of faith" and does have a section about the Islam faith including the mention of Jesus in its teachings, so be aware. But if you navigate it with your kids, I think you'll find it worth the visit.
Rachel

ds(14) 8) and dd(14) ;)
We've enjoyed ADV, ECC (2 times), CTG, RTR, EX-1850, 1850-MOD--and now AHL this year!

Julie in MN

Weeks 21-22 Saudi Arabia TEACHING AN 8TH GRADER the second

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu May 13, 2010 1:37 pm

(1) Alphabet activity -
Instead of copying the Arabic alphabet, my son found an online translator and figured out how to write his own name. He copied his name instead of the entire alphabet. He had to use his last name, too, since his first name is so short! He had to explain this to me twice but I finally got it :~ -- he said he could not write his name using the alphabet in the book, because the letters don't translate one-on-one.

(2) Prayer -
I've mentioned the DVD we are watching called God At Work: Faith in Action. The very last segment is on Muslims and a middle eastern man tells this story which I just wanted to share. He asked a wise man how to reach Muslims and was told that they will not break like Russia, but you must find the cracks and send water in, and the flood will happen from the other side.

(3) Properties of Ecosystems -
We were intrigued by the activity where you figure out what your trash content is. However, none of us wanted to dig through the trash. Dh & ds thought of just sorting our recycling. We have a large bin (same as our garbage bin) that is collected every 2 weeks, so just before they put it out they did this project (Math and GeoScience!):

- pour out our recycling on the driveway or yard
- take an empty trash can we use for leaves
- weigh the empty can (write everything down)
- add just one category (glass, metal, aluminum, or paper)
- weigh it & subtract the weight of the can
- add another category (so now the can has two categories of recycling in it)
- weigh it and subtract the previous weight
- continue adding each category & weighing/subtracting
- at the end, pour everything back into the original container
- multiply it to estimate the total for one year

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:56 am

In trying to keep with the fun of adding an element of dressing the part for each travel day, here is the simple idea I happened to have on the morning of ;) Upon arrival to Saudi Arabia, I donned a kitchen dish towel on my head, stamped their passport, and put a towel on each kid's head to wear while they were visiting. They laughed and thought it fun to wear for a while during the rest of our school day. I held it down over the forehead and pulled the sides back, securing it with a clothspins in the back. Simple but effective and fun.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Cyndi (AZ)

Greenhouse effect experiment - ECC

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Would someone be willing to share their notebook information with us for the Greenhouse Effect experiment from POE in Week 22/Saudi Arabia? We've had some awesome discussions about Global Warming and Environmentalists, and now after doing the greenhouse experiment in a sunny spot in AZ, my dd really thinks that the global warming folks don't have a clue! (That's not *exactly* what we were trying to learn here, I don't think.) We only had 5* warmer in the jar vs. not-in-the-jar. Did someone not-in-the-desert have a bigger difference in temps?

One very cool thing we did learn is that our duet blinds really do keep out an enormous amount of heat, so it's easy to understand why we were given a tax credit from the government for doing our little part in conserving energy. So maybe that's the lesson from this experiment?

Help?
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Cyndi (AZ)

Greenhouse effect experiment - ECC

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:05 pm

Would someone be willing to share their notebook information with us for the Greenhouse Effect experiment from POE in Week 22/Saudi Arabia? We've had some awesome discussions about Global Warming and Environmentalists, and now after doing the greenhouse experiment in a sunny spot in AZ, my dd really thinks that the global warming folks don't have a clue! (That's not *exactly* what we were trying to learn here, I don't think.) We only had 5* warmer in the jar vs. not-in-the-jar. Did someone not-in-the-desert have a bigger difference in temps?

I opened the shade on a sunny window and placed the jar and another thermometer on the sill. I figured I better open the window so that the glass window didn't give an extra greenhouse effect?! I don't know if I should have done that.

Temp outside the jar at 0min = 81.2
Temp inside the jar at 0min = 72

Temp outside the jar at 5min = 96.7
Temp inside the jar at 5 min = 86

Temp outside the jar at 10min = 96.5
Temp inside the jar at 10min = 90

I moved the thermometer that was outside the jar into the shade.

Temp outside the jar at 15min = 89.4
Temp inside the jar at 15min = 90 --- so they're almost the same now

Temp outside the jar at 20min = 87.6
Temp inside the jar at 20min = 92

Temp outside the jar at 25min = 88
Temp inside the jar at 25min = 94

Temp outside the jar at 30min = 89.6
Temp inside the jar at 30 min = 95

Does this make sense to anyone? What is the best way to explain this to my dd? "It's hot in AZ. It's even hotter if you live in a jar." ?? Help?

One very cool thing we did learn is that our duet blinds really do keep out an enormous amount of heat, so it's easy to understand why we were given a tax credit from the government for doing our little part in conserving energy. So maybe that's the lesson from this experiment?
TriciaMR wrote:I've not done this experiment... but I have some questions...

I'm assuming that somehow you covered the jar? If you did, did you take it outside and let it come up to the ambient air temperature before covering it? That could be one explanation. Since the air in the jar isn't circulating - if your thermometer is at the bottom of the jar, warm air rises, it could take a while for the lower part of the jar to warm up.

Just a couple of random thoughts
-Trish
OK, that makes sense. I took the canning jar out of the dark pantry, so it was already cooler than the rest of the house. I put the thermometer in tip-down and sealed the jar. At the time, I was thinking "72 degrees? My house is never 72 degrees!" I probably should have stopped right there and made sure they matched before we went forward . . . ? I think my confusion really, really showed, too, because my dd totally lost interest until the experiement was over and there was condensation inside the jar -- she thought that was cool. Err, warm. Anyway, I had her ready to shove her hand inside the jar as soon as I took the lid off and she said, "it feels warm and moist like Home Depot [outdoor plant department]." Then she let the water drip out of the jar.

I'm still really confused on the temps, though. Maybe we should try it again outside and make sure that the thermometers match first.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed May 11, 2011 7:29 pm

When we were studying Saudi Arabia and we were working on a camels lapbook I ran across a project in a Camels magazine by Zoo Books. One of the things the magazine talked about was how camel hair is sometimes used to make blankets, rugs, etc. The book also gave instructions on how to create your own mock loom to weave a pot holder or coaster. The project was called 'weaving on a loom'.

(I really like most of the content in the Zoo Books series but they also have a very strong evolutionary message so I am careful to either omit it or discuss it with my kids.)

This project took much longer than I anticipated but I was very proud of my kids for being willing to complete it. My son especially has a hard time completing projects but has really shown a lot of growth this year in this area. They were both very proud of their finished product and their hard work.
Carissa & Justin's Pot Holders 2011.jpg
Carissa & Justin's Pot Holders 2011.jpg (55.66 KiB) Viewed 12642 times
The instructions for these projects are sometimes torn out of the magazines as they are usually in the center section so I thought I would add the instructions here for anyone interested.

You will need a 6X6 inch piece of cardboard, a ruler, a pencil, scissors, colored yarn, string (optional).

1. Mark the top edge of the cardboard every 1/4 inch. Make a small cut where each mark is. Now do the same with the bottom edge of the cardboard.

2. Tightly wind string (or yarn) around the cardboard. Each loop of string goes into a cut in the cardboard. Tightly tie together the two ends to hold them in place (these tied ends are at the back of the loom).

3. Think about the pattern you want to have. Choose the colors of yarn that you will use. Cut the yarn into 12 inch lengths.

4. Weave the first piece of yarn into the string on the cardboard loom. The yarn goes over the first piece of string and under the next. Put it under and over each remaining string on the loom.

5. The next piece of yarn goes opposite the first one. It goes over and under the pieces of string on the loom.

6. Be sure to keep the pieces of yarn that you weave close together. After weaving a piece, push it close to the others that you have woven.

7. When you have filled the loom with your weaving, turn it over. Cut the strings on the back in half. Tie each loose string to a loose piece of yarn that is nearby. This will form fringe. Trim the fringe so that it is even.

Your finished weaving can hang on the wall as art or be used as a pot holder or coaster.

I posted this on my blog as well.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

cbollin

We skipped the trash sorting worksheet (ECC wk 22)

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:04 pm

rebeccal2002 wrote:So, we were reading our POE assignment and we had our worksheet ready. (ECC, wk 22) And then we read the assignment - dig through the trash! Sort it into piles! Weigh it! We all went, "ew, gross," and decided to skip it. :)

We talked about all the ways that we try not to put stuff in the trash can that goes to the dump. We recycle almost everything that is allowed in the recycle bin. Anything that decomposes we put in the compost bin.

I hope we're not the only ones who weren't brave enough. I'm sure we would have learned a lot, but, oh dear, I couldn't see it happening in a manner where my 2 and 3 year olds wouldn't be covered in yuck.

Just had to express... :)
Rebecca
8[] 8[]

I guess a different idea for the assignment/worksheet for those interested.. although what you did is just fine and dandy!

since you already pre sort... there's no need to open the trash bag...

just weigh a bag of trash on trash day. record it. fast simple and 3-5 minutes.
count your recycles and take them to the center.
estimate those weekly total for a year.
and make sure your family knows why you do what you do.

I am laughing at the assignment of trash digging. I thought that one sounding over the top for it all. Just weigh a full bag and don't open it. count your recycles. I guess if someone does no recyclings, it could be different?

just wanting to go ewwwwwwwwwwww with you. :-)
-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: We skipped the trash sorting worksheet (ECC wk 22)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:25 pm

My ds was older. He & dad dumped out the recycle bin (which at our house is the same size as the trash bin, but much less messy). They weighed the empty bin, then added in one type of recycling (say the metal), weighed it (bin + metal), then added another (maybe bin + metal + glass), and so on. Then ds made a grid of what we used most. It was great.

But yeah, I'd be with you on the 2 & 3 year olds !!

Julie

1974girl

Unread post by 1974girl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:41 am

I don't know if everyone uses all of their student sheets but we sure didn't.
I guess I use it more like a buffet and pick and choose.
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:59 am

Um, we didn't use a lot of the ECC science sheets either. (Dyslexia and dysgraphia here so most things are done verbally.) We did most of the experiments but I must confess, not the trash one. But I don't feel so guilty now that Crystal mentioned the recycling center. My dh takes the dc when he goes so I guess they kind of did do that one. ;)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

kaiakai

Unread post by kaiakai » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Well, I'm not sure if this will help, but it might be an interesting addition to the project: The Show Us Your Plastic Trash Challenge.
http://myplasticfreelife.com/showyourplastic/

But I'm wondering.. if you recycle and compost, then why would your trash be so gross??
~Kai
http://thecatinthetree.blogspot.com
Mom to Kiira (5) and Hana (2)