Weeks 14-15 France

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Weeks 14-15 France

Unread post by Marie » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:22 pm

Weeks 14-15
France

Heather (WI)

Unread post by Heather (WI) » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:29 pm

For our French flag assignment, we copied the flag (from "Another Trip Around the World"), and used small, torn pieces of red and blue construction paper for the red and blue stripes. It was really simple, and looks like a neat "mosaic effect". Just an idea for something new to try!!
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
MFW user since 2004:
ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR,
and starting Ex-1850 in Aug. 2008!!

Musicmama3

Christmas in France and Germany

Unread post by Musicmama3 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:01 am

I got some useful information from the internet about Christmas customs in France and Germany. THis week we are going to make a yule log, learn some Chirstmas carols in French and German, and read about traditions that started in Germany, such as the advent wreath, the advent calendar, the Christmas tree and glass ball ornaments.
musicmama3

chloe

The Orient Express

Unread post by chloe » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:44 am

I found a video on The Orient Express from the library, and it was a super enrichment to our study of Europe. This particular documentary was of a nostalgia run that is available to individuals twice a year. It began in Paris and made stops along the way in Zurich, Satzburg, Vienna, Budapest, Bucharest and Istanbul. My 8-year-old son is a train enthusiast, so it was a special treat for him. The video also mentions Agatha Christie (author of "Murder on the Orient Express") and speculated that she wrote it from a famous hotel in Istanbul.

The documentary was filmed by Kathleen Dusek.

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:07 pm

Chloe,

That sounds really neat. Last year, we "did" ECC, but since I don't want to let our studies die down, I like to get videos and books now and then to remind my children what we studied... Do you have the name of this video handy? I might check my library for it. Lots of chilly nights ahead and it sounds like a good video for us all to watch.

Kelly
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Julie in MN

France

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:13 pm

First, apoligies that I type very fast & love what we're doing! I enjoy the shorter posts because they sound like such "fun" moms, but, well, this is me, plodding along :o)

FRANCE
1. We really enjoyed immersing ourselves in the French culture, probably doing it correctly for the 1st time this year! We enjoyed the food, composer, artists -- all of it. Maybe because we had a french student stay with us last summer & we had a connection there (most high schools can set you up to do this).

2. We happened to have Meet the Great Composers for listening to Debussey, but also ChristianBook often has a sale for 29 cent cassettes and 1.99 CDs that is tempting. Otherwise, you can listen to samples online for free :o) We really liked Debussey's Children's Corner songs played by Arturo Benedetti. Meet TGC suggested reading the song titles & drawing what you think the song was about (The Snow is Dancing, etc.).

3. Marie also recommended checking out art books. Our library had "Picture This! Activities and Adventures in Impressionism," which was also a Scholastic book this year, & has a lot to offer. We also looked at "Linnea in Monet's Garden" (book & video), Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists series, and What Makes a Degas a Degas type books. (Note to curriculum junkies like me, we have read David Quine about how impressionism is a beginning of a sort of confusion in art that reflected a sort of breakdown beginning in our culture. However, we still all find impressionism to be a pleasant form of art.)

4. Even tho I have read Madeline for many years, we looked with new eyes when we realized that the drawings are of real landmarks in Paris that we had studied in ECC! I had the LLATL Yellow book (which we're not using), & got it out for its Madeline "book study." It's really not a book study in my view, but it did have some more French words, names of the landmarks in the book, etc.

5. The book "Children Are Children" (on the ECC Brazil list but covering several countries) also had some advanced French pronunciation help, & info on the origin of April Fools (when the calendar was changed from beginning on 4/1 to 1/1, may people got mixed up & teased). I think you could find this info at homeschooling.about.com or other places.

6. Thanks to Heather, we also just copied the flag of France from the "Trip Around the World" book. We also cut up a copy of this for the flag/math activity where you see how many combinations you can make. Much easier for a 3rd grader to understand when he has the pieces in his hand!

7. When I saw the Eiffel Tower assignment, I panicked -- fun project but how can I do "art with no instructions"? LOL! But I had just happened to pick up a "wire art sculpture kit" at a thrift store for a dollar or two, & it worked perfectly for ds! God truly helps me :o) You might be able to use a base (piece of wood with holes in it), and long pieces of coated wire. If you want to make "twirly wire" or any other shape, you just wrap it around a pencil or a book or whatever.

8. The recommended book "France, Festivals of the World" was helpful in explaining Gypsies to ds (the people group in Window On The World for France). This was really a new concept to ds, with a people group that was not stationary -- not like in *my* generation, where everyone dressed up like Gypsies at Halloween!

9. Oh, and we loved the Mouton book (because it was based on a true story) and the Anatole book (because we read it aloud with GREAT emphasis & a fake French accent :o) Ds reserved many more Anatole books via interlibrary loan this year (as mentioned in the ECC guide).

10. Braille is explained at this link. And our library had some books in Braille to look at. www.dotlessbraille.org/Five.htm
Last edited by Julie in MN on Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

building Eiffel tower

Unread post by Guest » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:18 pm

If any of you have the supermag magnetic building toys they are perfect for contructing an Eiffel tower!

Lori

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:08 pm

Thanks Julie for your great post! I always look forward to see what you experienced last year!

I found a video at the library that was informative regarding the Eiffel Tower. It was by Reader's Digest called "Great Wonders of the World: Wonders of Man's Creation" It was interesting and it had other man-made creations on it, the colosseum, machu picchu, the great wall of china, the kremlin, versailles (another France beauty), the statue of liberty and mount rushmore and chief crazy horse monuments. It was interesting, even 7 yo ds and 9 yo dd thought so. (we thought in the recommended reading "Bea's Own Good" the gardens looked like that of versailles, as the story takes place in France and is where these beautiful gardens and palaces are--this particular reading was also neat for us to read, as we are doing a reading project thru Heifer International, called Read to Feed, and we are raising money for bee hives!)

Toto in France was fun, 9 yo dd is enjoying Toto in Spain and Toto in Italy also.

Dc (more so dd) liked Linnea in Monet's Garden book and video. Madeline has also been a new eye opener for us. Anatole is fun--both dc have enjoyed any of these stories we can find.

Ds is enjoying building with magnetics and connects--his next building assignment, the Eiffel Tower. Then on to sugar cube Eiffel towers!
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

missionsmom

Unread post by missionsmom » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:53 pm

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:15 am Post subject: New ECC ideas

I wanted to share the official website for the Eiffel Tower
http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/teiffel/uk/lu ... index.html

This site has lots of great information about the tower as well as games for younger children to play. My son had fun figuring out how much it would cost to get to the top of the tower.

We emailed post cards to family straight from the website and let them know what we learned. My MIL said it was fun recieving a "postcard from the Eiffel Tower." The children got a big kick out of sending the cards to people.

Jen in SC

Unread post by Jen in SC » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:38 pm

Hi. I'm brand new so I don't know if this has been posted or not. But there is a video series called Torch Lighters about some of the great Christian heroes, including William Tyndale. Here is a link to the one about him at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FG ... FTOZALEKWF

These are animated and supposed to be good for elelmentary age children, though I have not yet seen them so I can't personally vouch for them.

Check your library...mine has a couple.

TriciaMR

Our Eiffel Tower

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:53 pm

We decided to do the optional activity and create a model of the Eiffel Tower. We didn't have craft sticks, so we used pipe cleaners! You can see a picture of it at my blog.

My dd and I had lots of fun and laughs doing this together.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Winkie

Unread post by Winkie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks for the idea! I found a couple photos online for Magnetix, but realized that we would need *way* more magnets than we own to build the tower successfully.
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

Julie

Unread post by Julie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:19 am

those Torchlighter videos are fantastic! we have john bunyan, william tyndale, and jim elliot. for christmas my kids are getting the two new ones on eric liddell and gladys alyward.

get on www.visionvideo.com to order. they are soo worth it.

Renai

Window on the World: Albanian music

Unread post by Renai » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:39 am

Since the people group in week 14 is Albania, and we know so little about it, I went searching. I found a website where you can listen to Albanian radio. It is http://www.albanianmusicbox.com/. You have to select a station, and for this service you do not have to register. Scroll down the page and it is on the left-hand side. Radio Presheva seems less contemporary (less rock-type music). That's what we're listening to now as she copies her memory verse and looks at books about Albania :) .
Renai
Wife to Enrique
Mom of two dd- 9/99 & 1/11

Bilingual homeschool
2004-05 SL
2005-2012 MFW
2012-2013 K12
2013-2014 dual-language charter
2014-2015 MFW Ancients/young'un- MFW preschool, reading books

http://creativeplaybilingual.blogspot.com/

doubleportion

Re: Weeks 14-15 France

Unread post by doubleportion » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:20 pm

Good book for Monet.
Monet in Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists series by Mike Venezia

Left out all the unsavory info about his personal life and just gives the reader a better understanding of the basics of his painting style and simple bio. Includes lots of pictures of his work without any of the nude paintings.

Great choice to add in France.

:)
Edie

tyfb

Eiffel Tower project

Unread post by tyfb » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:44 am

We are on week 15 of ECC. I found step by step directions online to build an Eiffel Tower model from 2x2 Legos. I printed out the directions, so my son could follow them. I have not looked at any more pages on the site apart from the Eiffel Tower directions, so please don't let your child explore it without checking it for yourself.

My son is staying on task and getting his work done quickly today. Legos are a good motivator! :) My Father's World continues to bless our family!

ginny
mfwrocks wrote:Even though the original site that was linked ended up being "unstable" due to malware and a hack job.... It looks like the message board's Kimberly in ND figured out a way to make it work. Here's a link to her blog - go Kimberly!

http://kimberly-quietmysoul.blogspot.co ... stuff.html

to see a great pic and to inspire our Lego fans

-crystal
"The days may be long, but the years fly by!"

Mom to five boys

Completed MFW K, 1st , Adventures, ECC, CTG
Currently MFW K and RTR

705emily

Re: Eiffel Tower project

Unread post by 705emily » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:45 pm

\We found a 3D puzzle of the Eiffel Tower (just 37 pieces) and built it and it turned out so neat!
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:32 am

We found a fun video about France at our library from a series called "Europe to the Max". We watched the tour of Paris and saw many famous landmarks. We used wedgits (another type of building block) to build our Eiffel Towers while we were watching.

For an art lesson we read the books "Katie Meets the Impressionists" by James Mayhew and "The Magical Garden of Claude Monet" by Laurence Anholt. Then we used paint and made our own Impressionistic paintings. My dd painted her own version of Monet's garden and I even sat down and painted with them!

Oh, I almost forgot - I also made French crepes for breakfast one morning!! We like to put peanut butter and chocolate powder that you would use for making chocolate milk in them. Yum!

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

emmygray

Unread post by emmygray » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Thanks, Rachel for the book suggestion of "Katie Meets the Impressionists"! Unfortunately, I couldn't find the video you suggested at our library.

And, I just wanted to give a heads up to people that there are some great animal sheets to go along with the science lessons for weeks 14&15 in The Complete Book of Animals...in the science section, there were sheets on adaptations, animal defenses, and classification. I had not looked through the book at the beginning of our France study since there were no European animal sheets listed, but I'm glad I looked and found them before we finished the weeks!

Emily
Emily, homeschooling since 2004
MFW: Adventures, 2008-2009; ECC 2009-2010
ds, 3rd grade, ECC, BJU English3 & Spelling, Singapore math
dd, 1st grade, tags along with ECC, SSRW, Math U See
ds, preschool, SSRW, Singapore Math
ds, toddler, lots of toys :)

mandkhowell

Unread post by mandkhowell » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:15 am

As of April 3, 2010 - Micheals Arts & Crafts store has a wooden puzzle of the eiffel tower for $5. It is not a flat puzzle, but one that you build to stand tall. You can also glue it for a keepsake.

mommccoy

Re: Cheese!

Unread post by mommccoy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:09 am

At our local Trader Joes (grocery store in CA) we found a lot of authentic cheeses from France (and from many other parts of the world). I bought 3 different kinds and we had a cheese tasting experiment with our family. It was fun to experiment with new flavors and to know that they were made in France.

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:00 pm

Here's a suggestion for making the Handmade Soap on page 81 of Global Art. I put parchment paper down on my cookie sheet before pouring the soap mixture because I wasn't sure how well the soap would come off of the cookie sheet. We waited for the soap to harden just a bit and then we put the cookie cutters in place and left them there while we waited for the soap to harden enough to remove the shapes. I used a rubber scraper and lifted the shape off of the parchment paper, cookie cutter and all, and then pushed the soap shape out of the cookie cutter with my fingers onto paper towels. It worked quite well.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:26 pm

I am sharing how our flying to France day went. It was close to lunch time sooo, we had a rather quick flight. I talked about how France is known for their foods, and they like soup and sandwiches. Once they went through customs, we headed straight for a little bistro (kitchen table). Usually we head straight back to the school room, so this was a fun surprise. I served them grilled cheese sandwiches (cut into small triangles) and tomatoe soup ;)

Having fun in France!
Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Julie in MN

ECC Science Question

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:50 pm

karlafoisy wrote:I just went over week 15 Tuesdays Science lesson with our kids. It is all about the diff't animal kingdoms and the ways that each kingdom is broken down. It is a fairly detailed page with LOTS of information. I am having a difficult time knowing how much of this is just general knowledge (that they don't really need to have specifics on) and how much is detailed info that they should memorize and know. For instance, do they just need to know that scientists break down kingdoms into animal kingdom/plant kingdoms/and other kingdoms, or should they also know that animals are broken down into vertebrates, and then under that are fish, amphibians and reptiles, mammals and birds and the characteristics of those things, or....?
Hi Karla,
It's been a while for me so I was hoping someone else would chime in :)

Anyways, you do study animal classification more extensively in EX1850, there is a little more in Apologia General in 7th grade, and then classification in more depth in Biology in high school, so you don't need to feel this is their only chance to learn these things.

To me, the focus in ECC is biomes - deserts, rainforests, forests, oceans, etc. I wanted my son to have a general understanding of where different biomes are on the planet, that there can be completely different plants and animals in them, and some of the interesting details about each (I remember we had to separate deserts from the equator in our minds).

But in each family, the focus and goals may turn out differently. Even each child within a family may pursue different topics in book basket and notebooking and such.

Does that help at all?
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Re: ECC Weeks 14-15 France - Question

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:49 am

Agreeing... They'll get a lot more focus on the classification system in the future. The key for ECC, I think also, is the different ecosystems and how they affect the people groups' history, cultures and habits in each country / continent.

Don't forget the missionary biographies. They add such indepth and interesting facts to the cultural study. :)

Enjoy!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4