Weeks 9-11 Brazil

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:18 pm

Agreeing with Julie -- if it is a bad time of year, don't feel like you "have" to do this.

We used a 2.5 gal tank (got it at walmart) and it came with a glass lid. We used to have fish, but uh,. well.... the tank was sitting in my closet for a while so it was easy to do.I've heard of people using a plastic 2 liter bottle on its side with the top cut off???? (sounds too hard to me)
But I like Julie's idea of a clear plastic tote or other kind of see through container that has a lid. I'm thinking of shoe box size containers could work too with a low growing fern or something. Or even some of the taller totes could work too. just rambling sorry.

We started our terrarium in week 9 and did the three science experiments from that week on the first day of week 9.

The only animals we put in were plastic. ;)
There were two stuffed animals who sat on top of the glass cover. They had their carnival costumes on to add a brazil theme. You see, one of the Global Art projects was to make costumes. But we made them out of felt squares for 2 special stuffed critters.

I have no idea what plant is in there. It was on the clearance rack at walmart's garden section for $2 and it said "tropical". So my oldest and I looked at each other and said "close enough for school." We both think it looks like a miniature hosta plant when we look at the leaves.

There is the experiment with the radish seeds (or grass seed or something that sprouts fast). After a few days of seeing which grew faster, and seeing the roots on those things fill the bottom on the cup, we put that in the terrarium. We called it our canopy layer.

And it wasn't my intention to put the potato experiment in there, that was just my youngest child's contribution. And it turned out GREAT!!!!! we could see the runners and the root hairs and then boom!!! the thing sprouted up!!!!

Oh, and on some days it got too much moisture in the tank, so we opened it up to let the moisture escape. and I think they enjoyed the samba and forro music as much and I did. Ok, it was a very fun project for us.

-crystal

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:59 pm

my3boys wrote:How high did you fill the aquarium with soil. I have an old one here, but i am having trouble picturing what to do with it. I'm not sure it has a lid - i was thinking maybe saran wrap.
For some reason that I don't remember, I put a small layer (1/2 inch) of aquarium gravel on the bottom and then 1.5 inches of potting soil. When my youngest dumped the potatoes in there, she included the amount from the clay pot, which was about a 2 inch diameter pot.

-crystal

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:50 pm

We've made two so far and I anticipate a third this time through ECC. When we did it with ECC in 2003 (it's still alive) we had a great time. We went to the nursery and asked for "four plants that do well in a terrarium" and whatever they gave us did fine. We put in a few small plastic snakes and lizards for color.

You can always google "terrarium plants" for some that do well in them and don't get TOO big.

For Apologia General Science, we did it in a co-op situation. We had each student bring in four identical terrarium-friendly plants and swap among themselves. I brought in a few bags of dollar store toys (marbles, lizards, and tiny plastic soldiers) to add in.

For the two we've already made, we've used big plastic pretzel jars from either the warehouse club or Staples. I buy them a few months before we need them and we slowly (okay, not that slowly) eat through the pretzels and end up with a nice big plastic tub with a sealing plastic lid.

It's a fun project but you can do it whenever... Don't let it stress you.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

cbollin

Brazilian Recipes - dairy free?

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:12 pm

TriciaMR wrote:Looking ahead for cooking this Friday, both recipes call for milk, and dd and one ds cannot have any milk. I have a couple of dairy-free margarine substitutes, but I have no idea what to substitute for sweetened condensed milk or whipping cream (Cool Whip isn't dairy free, even though it says "non-dairy" - it has a milk product in it).

Anyone have any ideas for substitutions, or other Brazilian style recipes that don't have milk?
-Trish
Some ideas:
*Check your library for a book called Cooking the South American Way.

*google for a recipe for Feijoada. It’s considered the Brazilian national dish. It's a sausage and black bean stew served with rice.

*see if your natural foods section of grocery store has some Acai berry juice. It's all the dietary rage right now, so it might be easy to find. We got one bottle and shared it. They are being marketed as Brazilian superfruit juice. One brand was even called Bom Dia, means good day in Portuguese. (yes, I know it is made here in the states. shhhhhh.) oh, it does have caffeine in it or something like that.

*go with black beans and rice dish.

*on that avocado whip dessert, just have some avocado??? I was the only one willing to eat the avocado mousse in my house.

do a search on the terms "list of Brazilian dishes" or "cuisine of Brazil" and check out the wikipedia lists for that. They are sorted by name and other ways on there.

at least a start.
-crystal

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:18 am

You can make a vegan substitute for sweetened condensed milk, but it might not be worth the effort.
http://www.veganwolf.com/recipes/basics/swcondmilk.htm

Also, you could use soy vanilla icecream or Rice Dream vanilla icecream as a substitute for whipped topping.
Blessings!
A proud adoptive mom of 4 children,
~Toni~
I invite you to join me THE WISE WOMAN BUILDS HER HOUSE

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:25 am

Tricia,
Silk makes a creamer and I think they make whiped cream. OR try one of these reciepies:

Tofu whipped cream:

2 Cups tofu
4tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup honey
1/2tsp salt
1/2 cup oil (canola is best for this one)

Rinse tofu, drain and crumble. Blend all ingredients on high in blender until smooth, stopping blender 2 to 3 times to stir contents

or
Soy whipped cream

3/4 cup soy milk
2TBS honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
3/4 cup of soy, corn, canola, or safflower oil

1/8-1/4 tsp lemon juice

Blend first four ingreadents on high for 5-10 seconds. Slowly dripple in oil, blending for an additional full minute after all the oil has been added. stop blender and fold in lemon juice (the lemon juice thickens the cream). Put it in covered container and chill.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

TriciaMR

ECC - Week 11 and the Carnival Dancer art project

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:42 pm

Well, I feel like we finally had a really good successful art project. We did the Carnival Dancer. I looked at floral wire at Michael's and found some that had some kind of raffia wrapped around it. It seemed pretty stiff. So, we used that and just regular yarn that I had bought for one of the other earlier art projects. With the raffia on the wire, we were able to use Elmer's glue to get the yarn to stick to the wire (otherwise, I don't know how you would have gotten anything to stick to the wire when you start or when you change colors, and there are no tips on that in the book). I used left over quilter's quarters to make clothes. If you go to my blog link in my signature, you can see a picture of our Carnival Dancer that we made. We both worked on it and dd really liked the way it turned out.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Help with chocolate treats in Brazil

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:10 pm

CharleneHoell wrote:We just tried the chocolate treats in ECC at the end of the Brazil unit. Has anyone else done these with success? How thick is thick? Ours is pudding consistency and still too thin to roll into balls. Did I cook too long or not enough? My kids wanted these for dessert after lunch and there is disappointment in the house right now. I'd appreciate any advice.
That would be a very rich pudding. According to Wikipedia, it is one way that this dessert is served when eaten at home. The rolled candy way is reserved for parties. So.... Give 'em a spoon (and a toothbrush) and enjoy it! Put the sprinkles on top. It even suggests that it can be used as a frosting.

I know I saw a blog where they got it to work and made more to share at the husband's office. had pictures of it and everything. (they are using ECC) I wonder if she used butter instead of margarine or something?????

You might want to put "brigadeiros" in google search for some cooking tips. (Looks like the spelling in A Trip Around the World might have an extra letter or two in it.) One search return on "brigadeiros," called Maria Brazil, has cooking tips about how long to heat it and all of that and seems to confirm the idea of eating it with a spoon too.claims that it is all the rage in cafes right now :D

I say that in case no one over here has tried the recipe and can remember how long it took to heat. and looking forward to hearing from those who have done it.
-crystal

CharleneHoell

Unread post by CharleneHoell » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:25 pm

Thanks Crystal,

We just got back from the library and I got a book on Brazilian cooking. They had a recipe and suggested to put it in th frig before rolling. I am trying that right now.

Thanks for the quick advice. I'll let you know if it works! LOL!

Postby CharleneHoell » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:40 pm
Well....to make a long story short, this makes a great topping for ice cream. Nothing I tried seemed to gell it together.

On a happier note, my husband found a great Brazilian restaurant down the street from our church. So we all got to try authentic Brazilian food for lunch. It was a great way to end our stay in Brazil!

mamanamadee

Brazilian chocolate treat - butter?

Unread post by mamanamadee » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:26 pm

cbollin wrote:
mamanamadee wrote:The recipe calls for margarine. Does anyone know if I can use real butter?
according to several recipes online
Yes, you can. In fact, I'll use real butter if I get around to trying this one.
Let us know how it turns out.
-crystal
Wow!--these were yummy! They turned out great, but we ran out of sprinkles and ate the rest with a spoon ;-)

I thought the avocado dessert was really tasty, too, but no one else in our house agreed with me. Ah, well. On to Europe.
2010-2011 preparing for MFW CTG in the fall
2009-2010 MFW 1st and pre-K/toddler toys
2008-2009 MFW ECC, K, and pre-K/toddler toys
dd12, dd7, ds3

doubleportion

Re: South America

Unread post by doubleportion » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:25 pm

Julie in MN wrote:
No photos, but ends with a moving description of Nate's son finding out the details of his father's last day, including all the aucas describing what seemed to be a choir of angels:
http://www.ctlibrary.com/ct/1996/septem ... ta020.html
Julie
This link requires a subscription. But I found the complete article at the following link instead
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/199 ... ml?start=9

cbollin

Re: Rainforest Charity

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:21 am

sojen wrote:My daughter wanted to do something to help conserve the rainforest after learning about it in ECC week 10. She picked the activity of doing a fundraiser from A Trip Around the World.

Does anyone have any info on a rainforest charity? We were thinking of WWF since it's a well known charity, but we usually do not give to secular organizations. Can anyone give me a yea or nay for WWF? How about another charity?
I have an idea about rainforest support that might be more age appropriate and meaningful for your child....

*how about buying products that she already likes (boxed cereal, chocolate) or you buying products that you like (coffee) that are "Fair Trade" or "More than Fair Trade" certified and things like that. (there's a difference in it, and some of them are more than fair and.......) check in the natural foods section for various brands out there. read the labels....

It's a simple way to see how little purchases can add up to support our beliefs and passions. I know it made a difference to my daughters to really begin to look at food products on shelves and buy that way. Yes, it "cost more" out of our pockets, but was supporting wiser farming practices and helping others in the rainforest. I don't think this is the ideal place for me to promote a specific company (run by homeschooling friends of mine in Indiana) that is all about selling coffee that comes from rainforest friendly places. email me for more details about a wonderful family doing that. You will not believe how good that coffee tastes! Well, maybe it won't taste as good when they have to ship. I used to live 4 miles from them and they delivered to my house. But we loved being able to support them, and know that they worked hard to have a "direct relationship" established with the farmers and their workers. anyway, I know my dh and I are thinking of just paying the shipping fee and seeing how it does taste. but oh... if you live in Monroe County Indiana.... hhmmm hmmm good.

Or maybe some of those Fair Trade and More Than Fair trade chocolate sellers have a fundraiser out there. ok... I had a moment to look up something... yes. If you go on website for equal exchange brand/co-op, you'll find youth fundraisers that are geared for religious communities to be able to participate in stuff that will help the farmers, and the workers. and things like that. they probably aren't the only group. But it's a way that get away from the politics of a secular group, and tries to help churches take a stand by helping villagers in coffee/tea/cocoa growing areas.

Another idea -- look into supporting a child through things like compassion international. Or since this is the MFW message board.... I should find some way to say to support Bible translation projects for people groups in rainforest... Right now, ( to the best of my limited knowledge) MFW's misison fund God's Word for the Nations, is active in areas that don't have rainforest. But from looking in MFW's Rosetta Stone lesson plans, I see they recommend several ways to discover different groups committed to Bible translation. So maybe if you look up the Forum of Bible Agencies International you could browse that site for groups active in Bible translation for people groups in various rainforest places. Then you could have your fundraiser go that route?

But maybe if there is a people group that God's Word for the Nations is supporting that lives in Rainforest..... maybe a call to GWN is in order? 573 426 3621. tell them that you're doing ECC and got the idea from that.

anyway.... I say all of that and yet, I'm sipping cheap, hot chocolate from mass production plants. :~

-crystal

BHelf

Unread post by BHelf » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:43 am

You could also look at supporting a missionary family doing work with rainforest people groups. I just read something recently (can't remember where) about a Christian group helping people to use the resources wisely around where they live to help conserve the rainforests, and other habitats. So maybe check out groups like YWAM or Wycliffe (I think GWN sometimes partners with Wycliffe, right?) and those types of groups that have people all over the world. Maybe contacting someone in one of those organizations (or even GWN) in your local area can help point you to a group working in the rainforests. Just my .02.

:)
Brooke
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:40 pm

You can also check SIM (serving in missions) website sim dot org. They have missionaries working in many areas of the world that have rainforests. One of their current projects includes audio bibles for Paraguay http://www.sim.org/index.php/project/91533. Maybe you will find something at their website that would be a good fit for what you are looking for without going through a secular charity. You could also look into VOM (Voice of Martyrs) Bibles Unbound. They are sending bibles into a number of countries including Columbia- http://www.biblesunbound.com/qry/mc_home.taf

Edie

my3sons

ECC Science Week 9 resource

Unread post by my3sons » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:18 am

Just wanted to share that the video "Magic School Bus Visits the Rainforest" is a wonderful resource for this week in conjunction with the reading from Living World on pages 98-99! They talk about the bromeliad plant as well as the importance of pollination with the cocoa tree.

Just thought I would share!
Mom to all boys, ages 15, 13, 11, 5 and 1

2014-2015 - ECC
Previously completed K - 1850 to Modern Times

sarajoy

ECC wk 10 current events

Unread post by sarajoy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:53 am

Check out this article I found online from Reuters. It is about the H1N1 virus hitting the isolated tribes of the Yanomamo people(these are the people group we are learning about this week). The cool thing was that sharing this with my kids made these people more real and alive today. They even requested praying for the Yanomamo people and the H1N1 virus at our Bible study group last night.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/ ... 0420091104

Loving ECC,
SJ

Amy C.

Re: Weeks 9-11 Brazil

Unread post by Amy C. » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:35 pm

We ended our study of Brazil (South America) with a South American meal. I got the recipes for our meal from allrecipes.com. We had Columbian Chicken. I served it over rice. The real star of the show, though, was our dessert. It was called Simple Grilled Pineapple Milhojas, and oh, my word, it was the most delicious dessert. My 5 year old said, "Mmmmmm, this is soooo delicious!" And I had to agree! Of course, I guess the correct way to say it would be that it was delicioso! ;) :-)
Anyway, I wanted to share the recipe. I wished I had known about this easy way to make dulce de leche when we had our Mexican fiesta. It turned out better for me than the other way.

Simple Grilled Pineapple Milhojas

2 (5 oz) cans sweetened condensed milk (I actually used one can that was about 14 oz)
3 sheets of puff pastry
12 pineapple rings
1 pint citrus sorbet of your choice (I found mango sorbet)

To make homemade dulce de leche, remove and discard labels from cans of condensed milk. Place the unopened cans into a large saucepan and pour in enough water to cover by 1 or 2 inches. Bring water to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium (I reduced heat to the simmer setting on my stove), cover, and simmer for 3 hours. Drain water and allow cans to cool to room temperature before opening cans. I actually removed the can with tongs and placed on a potholder on the counter to cool.

Meanwhile, cook the puff pastry sheets according to package directions and allow to cool to room temperature. Pour the dulce de leche from one can evenly over a sheet of puff pastry. Place a second sheet of puff pastry over the first, then pour on the remaining can of dulce de leche. Top with the remaininng puff pastry sheet, then cut into serving pieces. (Just a note that my dulce de leche was thick so I had to actually spred it around on the puff pastry).

Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and oil with cooking spray, or preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat. Grill the pineapple rings until warm and nicely marked.

Serve each piece on a dessert plate garnished with a grilled pineapple slice and a scoop of citrus sorbet.

Enjoy!

Amy C.

Amy C.

Free Jungle Pilot book

Unread post by Amy C. » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:09 pm

We just finished up Brazil (South America) in ECC. We were particularly touched by the reading of the Nate Saint book. Just like with the Cameron Townsend book, we wanted to know more (we actually searched the internet for pictures of Cameron and were thrilled to find pictures of him and his family at different ages/stages and to be able to see what he looked like through the years). I was thrilled to see the links to the internet pictures/info that Julie provided on Nate Saint on the ECC-Brazil ideas forum. Thanks, Julie! There is just something about putting faces with names and events. I also enjoyed reading the article by Steve Saint - how the Auca Indians recounted to him the events of the day they killed his father. Wow!

Anyway, as I was searching for more info, I typed in the title of the book, Jungle Pilot (another book about Nate Saint - with pictures I understand). One website came up that said Free Jungle Pilot book. I clicked on it. It is the MAF (Missionary Aviation Fellowship) website. They are offering this book for free. Of course, you have to register/signup with them to get the book, but I was willing to do that. So I wanted to pass the info along to anyone else who might be interested in getting this book for free. I plan on using it as a Christmas gift. ;) :-)

Amy C.
doubleportion wrote:We asked for one and received it Friday. I have been reading it since. Wonderful book! Really gives a much clearer picture of the person that Nate Saint was and his amazing walk and life that He lived with the Lord. Most of the book is taken directly from Nate's own writing. Thanks for sharing this info.
Edie
Posted by Amy C. » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:57 pm
You are welcome! I got mine as well. I have looked at the pictures. I thought it would be a good Christmas gift for my son so I actually have "hidden" it. I hope to get to preread it but am afraid he will see it. You know, homeschooling families have very little privacy being together all the time. Maybe I can sneak in a little reading time without my boys seeing it. Very little escapes their keen eyes in this house. Any "new" thing, no matter how small, is quickly noticed.

I am glad you are enjoying yours!
Amy C.

Julie in MN

Weeks 9-11 Brazil TEACHING AN 8TH GRADER the second time th

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:11 pm

(1) SOTW-4 student page 54 -
We hadn't done this Rainforest activity during 1850MOD, so we did it while studying South America. The instructions are in the SOTW-4 Activity Book for week 13.

Or, you can make one of these on your own. They have the unfortunate names of "paper fortune teller," "origami fortune teller," or "cootie catcher" :( You can find instructions on Enchanted Learning, Wikipedia, YouTube, and just a general google search using those words in quotes. Here's a link that doesn't have the great illustrations on some of the other sites, but it gives the "traditional" style of letters and numbers that I learned as a kid, and a few other good ideas such as Bible characters or math problems, plus clear instructions on how to play once you've made the game.
http://kids-paper-crafts.suite101.com/a ... une_teller

SOTW's student page uses rainforest animal names on the outside and the inside (both of which you "spell" as you open & close opposite sides), and underneath the last fold on the SOTW page were interesting facts about the animal printed inside.

(2) Bruchko, 7-8th reader -
My son was so excited by Bruchko chapter 2 -- it's about a 14 year old boy from Minnesota, just like him!

(3) Rainforests
Rainforests tie in with the study of the atmosphere in Module 3 of Apologia Physical Science, and we read similar/additional info from Enchanted Learning.
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjec ... here.shtml

(4) Book Basket extra resources -
(a) CD - World Playground, by Putumayo
This CD has songs by native speakers from many countries. Some of the songs are made up by the singers, so they aren't traditional songs like the Wee Sing CD, but they are pleasant and have kid-appropriate lyrics. Both my 14 yo ds and my 3 yo dgs enjoy the rhythms and the music without worrying about the lyrics much. There is also a teaching kit for this CD, but it's mostly stuff already in ECC -- a page of info on each of the different countries, an activity idea, a passport, and lyrics with English translations. The Brazil song is a good example of how Spanish and French combine in Portuguese. And from personal experience, I can say that 3 year olds love dancing to this CD!

(b) DVD - Mission: God at Work, Faith In Action,
hosted by Steve Saint and Dianne Becker
This DVD has good episodes about the Saint family and other Ecuador missionaries, which could add to the Nate Saint story in ECC, as well as show other very moving projects. South America episodes #2, 3, 18, (19-mature topic).
Note that one of the South American stories (Brazil) has content more suitable for older kids, but it was very moving for my 14 year old to see these modern-day gals dedicating their lives to saving young people from life on the street.

(c) VHS - Argentina, Land of Natural Wonder
International Video Network
Your library may have "travel videos" which basically sell you on taking trips to different countries. This particular one has the typical bits you can skip about resort-type life, but has good footage of South American music, varied scenery, and unique animals. We especially learned about the very Southern part of South America, which even has penguins!

(d) Amazon River, from the Big Outdoors series, by Valerie Bodden, 2010.
This is in fairly simple picture book style, but it makes the Amazon memorable even to older kids. The photos are huge and rich, and there is geography info.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

what is wheat paste and where do you buy it??

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:29 am

rawbanana wrote:Hi ladies, We are going to be making the fiesta mask this week in ECC week 9 (Brazil) and it calls for wheat paste. I have never heard of wheat paste...is this something you can get at Walmart? If so, what section?
Thanks!
Anna
There probably is something pre made at wallyworld or Michaels. and probably Dick Blick

It's basically wheat flour and water and a few other things.

here's one idea on this board
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... eat#p29269

and several off of the 'net in general....
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Wheat-Paste
http://video.about.com/interiordec/Make ... -Paste.htm
http://www.solarcooking.org/wheatpaste.htm

you may even be able to find other videos on youtube "how to make wheat paste"

or you could find other ways to do a paper mache kind of thing for this. I know reading the instructions in the Global Art book made me wonder what would be on the box for "wheat paste". :~ but it is paper mache thing over clay mask.

However, for our fiesta masks in Brazil: we used Crayola Modeling Magic and just painted them. or was that Japan masks? can you tell I didn't always like to make too messy of stuff?

anyway, I'm looking back in the ECC ideas forum and remembering all kinds of fun we had those weeks. I still can't believe our terrarium has one plant still going. (it is not plastic!) hee heeee
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 161#p41913

-crystal

jasntas

Re: what is wheat paste and where do you buy it??

Unread post by jasntas » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:47 am

I did a search for you and this is what I found:

Wheat paste
Prepare 1 cup (2.4 dl) of very hot water. Make a thin mixture of 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of white flour and cold water (just enough to wet all the flour and make it liquid enough to pour). Pour the cold mixture slowly into the hot water while stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. When it thickens, allow to cool. Smear on like any other glue. For slightly better strength, add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of sugar after the glue is thickened. After using a portion, reheat the remaining in a covered jar or container to sterilize it for storage or keep refrigerated. If wheat flour is not available, other flours will work.

I found others too, with video demos, etc. You could google it and see what else you can come up with. I didn't look in the Global Art book to see if it's in there somewhere.

Personally, I am taking the easy route and I purchased pre-made paper masks from orientaltrading dot com. All they have to do is decorate them. You wouldn't have time to order if you are making them this week and I was unable to find them in any local stores.

I do think Joann's, and maybe Michaels, carries kits that are similar and come with their own paper mache‘, molds, paint, etc. I think they were called Monster Masks or something. They looked more like cats and stuff to me. Maybe they could be used without the molds.

I decided to go with the pre-made masks with this project b/c I know my dc. It would probably be a huge mess and my dc (esp. my ds) get bored with these types of projects very quickly and I would end up finishing them just so they get done before they dry and then they would never want to go back and decorate them after the masks were dry. I personally think it sounds fun but ...

Anyway, HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: what is wheat paste - allergies

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:32 pm

jasntas wrote:Personally, I am taking the easy route and I purchased pre-made paper masks from orientaltrading dot com. All they have to do is decorate them.
This is a great idea. Especially when one is highly allergic to wheat!
I'm so happy to be doing ECC alongside you, Tammy. We start Brazil on the 20th.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

netpea

Unread post by netpea » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:01 pm

We're just starting ECC tomorrow so I haven't gotten that far, but if this is just paste for paper mache, then all you have to do is mix flour and water to make a runny paste.

We made paper mache alot growing up. flour and water paste and newspaper strips is all we ever used.
- Lee Ann
Using ECC for 2010/2011 with a 3rd and 5th grader

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:22 pm

liquid white glue watered down

or

liquid starch

or

probably even gluten free flour with water would work.

Just some ideas for alternatives. We will be doing ECC again down the road and will have to do projects wheat free. I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Edie

Crystallea

Unread post by Crystallea » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:58 pm

in my wallpapering phase, I used wheat paste to glue the paper to the wall. So you might find it in the home repair/decorating department. If I recall, it seemed quite inexpensive even then.
Crystallea
Crystal
Wife to Randy, mom to Gavin 27, Ryan 24, Dawson 11 Bailey James 11, Brianna 10, Melissa 9, Jack & Sam 6, Micah 5
Blessed to have adopted youngest 6.