Weeks 7-8 Canada

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Weeks 7-8 Canada

Unread post by Marie » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:23 pm

Weeks 7-8
Canada

Additional ideas may be posted in other areas of the message board:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=158 (George Muller biography)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 047#p82047 (soap project)

mamax3

Unread post by mamax3 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:58 pm

We just finished Canada. A friend sent me several recipes if anyone needs any but here is a tip they put maple syrup on just about everything you could imagine. LOL!!
Our party was not as successful as the Mexico Party. I guess no one realized there are so many differences there too. I wish you all were closer to share these parties with. It was just our family but we still had fun!!
A friend also sent me stamps (we used one for passport) and coins. The kids loved comparing them to our money.
Once again, we had a great time. You can see some pics of Canada at www.picturetrail.com/mamax3
We are taking a 2 week break then we will head to Brazil. See you there!!

Sybil
Sybil, mother of CJ (11) and Damian (8) using CTG, and Brendan (4) using MFW K
Homeschooling photo albums- www.picturetrail.com/mamax3
CJ's websites- www.k-9kids.org www.freewebs.com/cjstudentambassador
Usborne Books- www.ubah.com/Z1131

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:17 am

Okay, so we are a bit out of sync since we have just arrived in Australia (greetings 'mate from down under???). Anyway, we read a neat little book while we were "in" Canada called something like "A Dog Came Too" about Alexander MacKenzie (I might be misspelling his last name). My girls just loved that book...

Kelly
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Heather (WI)

Book + Video

Unread post by Heather (WI) » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:25 pm

Wonderful read-aloud for Canada: "Paddle to the Sea" by: Holling C. Holling.

We loved reading this book, and it really helped us learn more about the Great Lakes and Canada, etc.

They also have a video on this book that was excellent. We found ours at the library.
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
MFW user since 2004:
ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR,
and starting Ex-1850 in Aug. 2008!!

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:16 pm

Heather,

I totally second your suggestion for the book and video of Paddle to the Sea! Love it. Last year, my 2nd grader had a cold that had her feverish and we scrapped our school plan for the day, put a soft blanket and a ton of pillows on the floor and read Paddle to the Sea. Aaah. For a sick day, it is a grand memory.

Kelly
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

betsyk

Awesome Book for Canada!

Unread post by betsyk » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:06 pm

We found an awesome book for Canada! It is called Wow Canada! by Vivien Bowers. Real kid-friendly.

Julie in MN

Canada & Greenland too

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:22 pm

1.We listened to the Canada anthem online somewhere, which we always enjoy to liven up our day.

2. Marie's "starred" Canada fiction books were excellent (okay, we read one & watched one on video!). We never noticed how many stories were set in Canada before this. (And I never knew there was an actress Anne Shirley who named herself after her movie role!)

3. We enjoyed the same "Canada for Children" video series as we did for Mexico.

4. We were happy that Greenland was featured in the Window on the World reading. We colored a flag using http://www.coloringcastle.com & using flagspot.net/flags/gl.html for flag info to write on the back

5. I'm not much of a cook, so on cooking day we had some tasty stacks -- the "igloo" idea found on the MFW-K apple page, and later ice cream with syrup on it, because all the Canada recipe posts seemed to agree that Canadians put syrup on everything (& gravy on french fries, but we weren't brave enough for that :o)

6. Here's another idea for an igloo made of sugar cubes and white canned frosting, with a snowman made of marshmallows (toothpick through the center & for 2 arms; cloves for face & buttons): http://video.about.com/familycrafts/Win ... -Igloo.htm
Last edited by Julie in MN on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

dodiorne

Unread post by dodiorne » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:23 am

We struggled w/ recipes for Canada, partly b/c we're non-meat eaters, and most recipes I found were for duck and beef. However, the rest of the family eats fish, and I found a recipe for Canadian Cedar Planked Salmon on allrecipes.com.

From what I've read Native Americans often grilled their fish and game on such boards, so I gave it a try. They loved it, and it was something we'd never done before. Always a plus. You can buy cedar planks at Williams-Sonoma, but they have better and less expensive ones online. Or cut your own! Just be sure whatever you use isn't chemically treated. Supposedly white cedar has the best flavor.

We also had an afternoon tea one day, since they apparently still do that in British Columbia.

On to Brazil!
Spread love everywhere you go: first of all in your own house.Give love to your children, to your wife or husband, to a neighbor...Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness. -Mother Theresa

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:25 pm

Dodiorne,
Here's a link for Canadian recipes, eh.
Sent to me by a friend in Alberta. (thanks Chynna) There are some non meat ideas on there, in case you review Canada.
http://www.joycesfinecooking.com/canadian_recipes.htm
scroll down a little to the recipes.
There are various sweets in there, too, for the tea.

hth
crystal

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:43 pm

I found an easy reader version of Ann of Green Gables by the All Aboard Reading series. This was perfect for my 2nd grader.

helen

Unread post by helen » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:06 am

We just finished Canada. We did our "high tea" yesterday and made lemon tea cookies from a recipe I found at cooks.com. Today we are having a pancake supper with Canadian maple syrup - Yum!

Jenneve

Unread post by Jenneve » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:03 am

We're doing Canada now. I found a great informational book at our local library called The Kids Book of Canada by Barbara Greenwood. It has general information on Canada and then information for each province & territory.
Information includes population, size, capital, other major cities, main industries, official languages, national anthem, coat of arms, motto, flag, animals, landscapes/climates, important people, places, & events, brief history (with timeline) of the country & provinces/territories. And for the provinces & territories it also includes the date they entered the confederation.
Jenn mom to:
Jack (7/27/99) doing ECC
Jared (8/25/01) doing MFWK
Justin (10/18/02) doing MFWK

cbollin

Week 7 in ECC question

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:51 pm

KellyM wrote:The experiment listed to do in the Tuesday notes of Week 7 in ECC called "Sleds and Friction" but the science reading for that day on the schedule is about "Getting Oxygen Underwater." Am I missing something?
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:10 am

KellyM,
The Tuesday experiment might have been better placed in the geography section because it is really tying in to studying Canada instead of the science text.

Although there is a tiny bit of tie-in between rivers and lakes from Monday's readings and frozen rivers and lakes and ice and snow. If that makes sense.

Part of the fun of having unit studies --- lessons overlap like this a lot.
--crystal

TriciaMR

Tips on the "soap carving" project in ECC

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:35 pm

Hey, we did the soap carving project today - or rather I did, and dd watched.

A couple of things:

1. Make sure you have a large bar of soap. I couldn't find any large single bars of soap at our local Target that I knew were more rectangular, not oval, and we don't use Ivory (and they only had an 8 pack of Ivory!), so I got one of those travel sized soaps of Irish Spring. A good choice for softness, but it made our carving rather small.

2. For your first carving, don't choose an animal that has small appendages. My dd wanted to do a cat. Our sketch was fine, but one of the front legs broke off as I was trying to carve around it. Their example in the book is a better choice.

My dd didn't have large enough hands to "carve" the soap - or strong enough hands, either, so I did most of the carving. But, I made her read the paragraph on the page about the Inuit people.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:32 am

Nice tips. Thanks Trish.

tiny note -- in week 14 [France] there is a need for leftover soap pieces. We're planning to use our left overs from our carving for that project. I guess it'll work ??

-crystal
BHelf wrote:thanks Crystal! The new manual indicates that, so I saved them!! Haven't looked ahead to that craft yet to see if we'll do it, but thought I'd save them just in case!! :)
Posted Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:54 pm by cbollin

see, they read the board for ideas from customers...... LOL.

cbollin

Re: ECC question about pond skaters

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:18 am

CharleneHoell wrote:Did anyone get the pond skater experiment to work. My engineering dh said it wouldn't work because the paper clip has too much mass. He was right...it didn't work and my kids were very disappointed. I want to maintain their interest in science.

Last week the ice cube experiment didn't work because the ground was too warm and it heated up the ice cube. My kids knew what was supposed to happen, but it was a disappointment.
Several Things:

The ice in the ground is supposed to melt. It just melts more slowly than the ice in the direct sunlight. That's the point of the experiment. ;) Additionally, they can just feel the ground about 3 or 4 inches below the surface and touch the surface and feel the difference. But, when the one ice cube melts less than the other, it really makes sense. Or if you have a sand box, dig your feet under the surface a good 3 to 4 inches to feel the difference. the point is that in deserts, some animals burrow underground to cool down.

The paper clip does work. Here's a trick to get it to float on the surface. ( I worked in a physics department for several years and the professors did this kind of thing with our college level kids.)
So,
Take a square of toilet paper.
cut the paper so that it is about 2 paper clip lengths in both length and width.
Place the paper clip in the center of the toilet paper
Place that on the water surface.
As the paper gets wet, it will sink down, but the paper clip stays on the surface. and you'll do this again in other ways in Apologia General Science with some other variables thrown in. really cool!!!

so, yes, the experiments worked over here for us. And yes, ECC was piloted by many families and has been on the market for many years with these experiments. So, if you run into problems, keep asking because there is probably a quick solution out there to help :-)

-crystal

Postby cbollin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:14 am
I guess I need to clarify that that I didn't try the paperclip tension with the bended paperclip the way it is described in the ECC manual. So that means I don't know how easily that technique works. And it might be the case that we need to get MFW's attention on that :-)

I've had limited success with another method that is not described in the manual where you put the clip on a spoon and dip the spoon under the surface. But the toilet paper method just always seems the quick and easy way.

In general, the experiments are working over here. So again, if you run into problems, just ask and I'm sure there is a quick and common solution. Did your kids like the drops of water on top of the spoon experiment for surface tension? I was so surprised at how much we were able to add and it didn't seem to be an issue that we added the last drops quicker. It was a fun experiment on that.

-crystal
TriciaMR wrote:I got this to work. See my blog for photos.
-Trish
Sheena IA wrote:We got the paper clip to float after several tries, the trick was to gradually "float" it in by using the other paper clip. We didn't get it at first, so keep trying:)

kellybell

Pond Skaters - and more

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:00 am

I got it to float. It was easier than the "float a needle" in Apologia General Science.

Oh if you are playing with water, it's fun to float "boats" made from the little plastic clips from bread wrappers from the store. You can rubber cement an index card shaped like a V (to be the boat) to a plastic clip (put the clip in the "back" of the boat and the point of the V shoud be the front). The whole contraption is flat. Put a drop of dish soap in the hole of the bread wrapper plastic thingee and the boat takes off moving. You can do this once or twice before the soap in the tub or big boat gets too soapy for it to work again.

my3boys

Canada map - Update

Unread post by my3boys » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:39 am

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the information and map used in 'A Trip Around the World' does not include Nunavet, which is a relatively new territory. You can look at the Classroom Atlas and add it to the blank map for your child.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

StarrMama

Blueberry Cobbler

Unread post by StarrMama » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:23 pm

My oldest loved making the Blueberry Cobbler and so enjoyed taking it to friend's house to share after dinner. We just finished Canada and are looking forward to exploring Brazil next week. Thanks to everyone for the super wonderful links and book suggestions for Brazil :)
Wife to Desi. Mama to Hope 8 (ECC), Owen 6(K), Emmaline 4 and Levi 2. Happily serving God in the inner-city of Denver,CO.
www.6starrs.blogspot.com

RBS in OH

Re: Canada -Tea

Unread post by RBS in OH » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:54 pm

doubleportion wrote:Ideas for a Canada teaparty?
This won't answer your questions, but I LOVE the idea! We are all ready to start ECC on Monday...so this will give me a month to plan :)

A family friend gave my dd the porcelain tea set she had as a child and so we planned a tea party with her, my Mom and another friend with a little girl. My ds was going to help by answering the door and taking coats like a gentleman. We planned for a few cute little sandwiches and sweets. But it got cancelled because of bad weather. And we've never rescheduled. Our "trip" through Canada will be a great time for doing this--thanks for the idea!

I don't know the difference between having tea in England and Canada; that would be interesting. We did go to a baby shower recently that was a Tea. First we were given a choice of teabag flavors and made our own tea with hot water already in nursery rhyme tea pots and other pretty pots, then we were served 4 very tiny sandwiches followed by 4 very tiny desserts (1" x 1"). Some of the younger girls that attended got dressed up in fancier dresses and it was such a sweet and fun afternoon.

Etiquette, small (food) and fancy (garnishing and attire) come to mind when I think of a Tea; any formalities or specific country traditions added would make it an "absolutely delightful affair!"

I'm assuming you don't live very close to me, but it would be fun to do this together!
Rachel

ds(14) 8) and dd(14) ;)
We've enjoyed ADV, ECC (2 times), CTG, RTR, EX-1850, 1850-MOD--and now AHL this year!

Mom2MnS

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:03 pm

Another fun idea would be a theme tea - like a "red and white" tea for the colors of Canada's flag, or a "maple leaf" tea for the symbol... Let us know how it goes :)
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

RBS in OH

Unread post by RBS in OH » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:24 pm

I did some searching on the web and here's what I learned:

English-style Tea is tea served with milk and sometimes sugar. Hot water is poured into a teapot with loose tea and strained (at the spout???) into a cup with a saucer (not mug). And the teapot is kept warm with a tea cozy.

There is nothing that I found listed as Canadian-style tea, but a Canadian man named Theodore Estabrooks lived in the New Brunswick area and, together with a renowned tea-taster, developed a new tea that had a consistent taste and quality. He also began to package this new product, Red Rose Tea, in individual tea bags.

As far as I can tell, there are no particular cultural practices to tea time in Canada. It derived it's practice from the English. There are rules of etiquette to follow for this if one desires to be so proper. You can look up "tea culture" on Wikipedia. There was, however, mention of a Japanese-style tea being quite different from an English-style tea. That might be fun to learn about when "traveling" through Japan.

A search on "Red Rose tea and a Canada Tea Party" or on Theodore Estabrooks can fill you in on more details.
[ Added note: The site I saw was referring to Canada Day and the brand of tea. Use all words in your search. Apparently unwanted information could come up with a partial search! ]

Hoping anyone with more ideas on this will chime in.....
Rachel

ds(14) 8) and dd(14) ;)
We've enjoyed ADV, ECC (2 times), CTG, RTR, EX-1850, 1850-MOD--and now AHL this year!

doubleportion

Great books for ECC weeks 7-8/ Canada

Unread post by doubleportion » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:32 pm

Great books that we found for Canada.

M is for Maple- A Canadian Alphabet by Mike Ulmer and Illustrated by Melanie Rose.
Very nice book with beautiful illustrations. Copyright 2001 Mike Ulmer by Sleeping Bear Press
Summary: "Each letter of the alphabet is represented by a name or word derived from some aspect of the country of Canada, and each term is presented in rhyme and then further explained in a note."

By Truck to the North by Andy Turnbull w/ Debora Pearson. Very cool book.
Summary- " 'A bone-chilling silence filled the truck. We were north of the Arctic Circle on a road made of ice- not pavement or gravel like a regular road, just bumpy surface of frozen water. Under the ice flowed dangerous waters, deep enough to drown in-if the shocking cold didn't kill you first. I glanced out the window and shivered.'

Adventure is around the corner when you climb aboard an 18-wheeler and join Andy Turnbull on his eye-opening trip to the Arctic. You're along for the ride as he befriends a trucker's dog, views the Northern Lights, gets caught in a whiteout, and explores the ice roads of the Far North. Short sidebars of information that accompany Andy's story reveal what's inside a truck's cab, why camels once carried goods through this part of North America, what kids love about life in the Arctic, and much more. Colourful maps (essential traveller's tool) help you follow Andy's route chapter by chapter!"

Boys would particularly enjoy this book. Gives a great taste of the countryside and the people and their living conditions. He starts his trip in Vancouver & ends it in Tuktoyaktuk near the Beaufort Sea.

Northern Refuge- A Story of a Canadian Boreal Forest by Audrey Fraggalosch and illustrated by Crista Forest
Summary- "Explore a Canadian boreal forest through the eyes of a moose calf.

One summer day in a Canadian boreal forest, Moose Calf timidly steps into a pond. His mother is teaching him to swim, and many other lessons that will help him survive in the forest.

Moose Calf eats and grows, preparing for the winter ahead. As the days get colder and the snow gets deeper, Moose Calf and his mother continue to forage for food. They will face many dangers, including a hungry wolf pack. By the time spring arrives, Moose Calf will have his first antlers and will be ready to live on his own."

Great book with beautiful illustrations. Gives a great taste of the sights of the forest, plant life and the animals and climate.

:)
Edie

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:48 pm

I don't know much about teas seeing as I have boys who I have never thought would be interested in such, but the maple leaf idea made me think that I have bought maple leaf cookies at Wal Mart before. They are quite tasty -rich but tasty. That might be a good cookie to serve at your Canadian tea. I bought them for my husband and boys to take as a snack on a campout. I thought the leaf idea would go well with the campout, not that they cared, but as a woman and mother I thought this would be a nice touch. They enjoyed them. I enjoyed tasting the few that they brought home.

Just an idea...
Amy C.

my3boys

Unread post by my3boys » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:00 pm

I just wanted to pop in here as a Canadian and say that there isn't really a commonly practiced tradition of 'tea' here as far as I know - certainly not like it is in England. We're actually the highest consumers of coffee in the world - there are coffee shops on every corner. Anything maple would be an authentically Canadian treat - we also like to have cheese with our apple pie and due to our love affair with coffee shops we consume a lot of donuts as well :)
doubleportion wrote:hmmm don't think coffee is something that I can serve my dd. But maybe maple sugar cookies or other maple items I could do!! Thanks for the info. After doing the fiesta in Mexico, I was looking for something kind of celebratory to do for Canada. We may still go with tea anyway, just since it is so girly and fun. We could make it a red and white tea with a maple theme? Can you suggest any other ideas?
Edie

Postby my3boys » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:16 pm
LOL, yeah I wasn't thinking you should have your kids down some coffee in honor of Canada - just sharing some trivia. Of course we still like tea, I just don't think we drink it any more than you do in the USA.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR