Weeks 7-8 Canada

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
RBS in OH

Re: Canada -Tea

Unread post by RBS in OH » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:05 pm

We accidentally found the tea at Walmart yesterday--across the isle from the bread???? (Not sure if the grocery section is set up the same in all of the stores). I think it was by all of the other regular tea, like Lipton...
Rachel

ds(14) 8) and dd(14) ;)
We've enjoyed ADV, ECC (2 times), CTG, RTR, EX-1850, 1850-MOD--and now AHL this year!

doubleportion

Re: Canada -Tea

Unread post by doubleportion » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:59 am

Okay, update on all of this. Did find tea is popular in British Columbia. We are having our tea this Saturday. I found a great website with lots of maple syrup recipes. http://www.ontariomaplesyrup.com/book3.html

We will make a cake for the Canadian flag. I decided to decorate it with strawberries instead of red frosting (red dye #4 and my children is a veeeerry scary combination!). We will make our cake tomorrow and then on Sat have our tea at our friend's house.

Menu-
Maple Sugar Biscuits
Maple Whipped Cream
Canadian Flag cake slices
mock devonshire cream
lemon curd (found in a jar at the local Kroger)
Cucumber sandwiches
egg salad sandwiches
Sugar cookies in maple leaf shapes (I hope)
And lots of tea with honey and cream

I'll post pictures later.

We found some great coloring pages of Canadian Mounties and really enjoyed a beautiful book from the library with lots of photographs of the Canadian Artic landscape & animals. I will try and find the book info and post it on the ideas board.

Off to finish up Canada, eh?

:)
Edie

doubleportion

Re: Canada - Books

Unread post by doubleportion » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:04 pm

Posted by doubleportion » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Two more great books

Truck to the North by Andy Turnbull w/ Debora Pearson. Very cool book.

Summary- " 'A bone-chilling silence filled the truck. We were north of the Arctic Circle on a road made of ice- not pavement or gravel like a regular road, just bumpy surface of frozen water. Under the ice flowed dangerous waters, deep enough to drown in-if the shocking cold didn't kill you first. I glanced out the window and shivered.'

Adventure is around the corner when you climb aboard an 18-wheeler and join Andy Turnbull on his eye-opening trip to the Arctic. You're along for the ride as he befriends a trucker's dog, views the Northern Lights, gets caught in a whiteout, and explores the ice roads of the Far North. Short sidebars of information that accompany Andy's story reveal what's inside a truck's cab, why camels once carried goods through this part of North America, what kids love about life in the Arctic, and much more. Colourful maps (essential traveller's tool) help you follow Andy's route chapter by chapter!"

Boys would particularly enjoy this book. Gives a great taste of the countryside and the people and their living conditions. He starts his trip in Vancouver & ends it in Tuktoyaktuk near the Beaufort Sea.

Northern Refuge- A Story of a Canadian Boreal Forest by Audrey Fraggalosch and illustrated by Crista Forest

Summary- "Explore a Canadian boreal forest through the eyes of a moose calf.

One summer day in a Canadian boreal forest, Moose Calf timidly steps into a pond. His mother is teaching him to swim, and many other lessons that will help him survive in the forest.

Moose Calf eats and grows, preparing for the winter ahead. As the days get colder and the snow gets deeper, Moose Calf and his mother continue to forage for food. They will face many dangers, including a hungry wolf pack. By the time spring arrives, Moose Calf will have his first antlers and will be ready to live on his own."

Great book with beautiful illustrations. Gives a great taste of the sights of the forest, plant life and the animals and climate.

Postby doubleportion » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:04 pm

Found the book Arctic National Wildlife Refuge : seasons of life and land / a photographic journey by Subhankar Banerje ; Peter Matthiessen ... [et al.] ; foreword by Jimmy Carter ; poem by Terry Tempest Williams. by Banerjee, Subhankar, 1967-

We just enjoyed the pictures. I didn't read through all the text, so don't know if there are any concerns there.

:)
Edie

doubleportion

Re: Weeks 7-8 Canada

Unread post by doubleportion » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:42 am

Great book on North American animals and food webs.

It is one in a series called "Follow That Food Chain"

A temperate forest food chain : a who-eats-what adventure in North America / by Rebecca Hogue Wojahn and Donald Wojahn.
copyright 2009 by Rebecca Hogue Wojahn and Donald Wojahn. through Lerner Publication Company

doubleportion

Canada Flag Cake-ECC

Unread post by doubleportion » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:30 pm

I am a little late getting these picture up. But we made a Canadian Flag cake to go with the end of our weeks in Canada. We enjoyed it and our Canadian Tea. Which was a blast. Made Maple Whipped Cream to go on our strawberries at the tea (yuuuuuuummmy!). Reminded me of Strawberries Romanoff from a little place in New Orleans called La Madeleine's.

Maple Whipped Cream-
In a small mixer bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream and ¼ cup pure maple syrup until stiff.

The cake was yummy- yellow cake mix, cool whip and strawberries. The maple leaf ended up looking more like a Fleur de Lis but who cares! It tasted awesome!
Attachments
cake small.jpg
cake small.jpg (74.53 KiB) Viewed 15747 times

Julie - Staff

Re: Question about the maple leaf craft for Canada

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:54 am

705emily wrote:I would like to do this craft from Global Art--but am not understanding how it works. It says to make an imprint of a maple leaf into clay. Then paint the imprint and use a sheet of paper to "print" onto. I guess I'm wondering how the "imprint" that is impressed onto the clay will make a "print" on the paper. :~ Wouldn't it have to be raised up in order to get a good print?? Has anyone done this craft and been successful--and if so how exactly did you do it!! Thanks so much!
Posted by cbollin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:54 am
we made a variations of it....

1. When I lived in Indiana.... we took a maple leaf. Took some Model magic (from crayola). Pressed the leaf into the model magic before it dried. Made a nice impression. Lifted the leaf. Then we painted the model magic.

2. Then, for fun, we took the leaves, dipped them in paint and pressed that onto paper.

Posted by 705emily » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:33 am
Hmmm....maybe instead of a print we'll do a collage of maple leaf rubbings on paper with crayons--and then we could paint over that with watercolors. Watercolors will repel the wax crayon. Might make a neat effect. The model magic idea seems kind of neat too!

Posted by paliz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:39 am
You'd almost have to make a mold of the imprint, I would think. You know, you would do the impression, then fill the impression with something else, pull that "something else" out, let it hardened and then use that as a print. Unlesssssss, I'm thinking "out loud" here, you cut the paper to size of the leaf then you can place it inside the impression.

Posted by JenniferF » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:26 pm
I think my kids collected some maple leaves and made a Canada flag with a dried Maple leaf glued on the flag. One child did a leaf rubbing and put that on her flag.

Posted by my3boys » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:45 am
You can paint directly on the leaves and then lay a piece of paper over them and press - this makes a nice print. Crayon rubbings always turn out nice too. The clay thing sounds way more complicated than it needs to be.

Posted by niki » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:37 pm
We just made maple leaf cookies. My sister married a Canadian and part of their decorations were maple leaf cookie cutters...so, we made sugar cookies and delivered a batch to my Canadian brother in law.

Posted by RachelT » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:46 pm
We are going to do this tomorrow. (I like to save our Global Art for Fridays!) So, I was just reading through the directions again -and haven't actually done the project - but I think the point of it is to get the main part of the smooth, leafy parts painted and the parts that were impressed into the clay (veins, stem, etc.) won't have as much paint, if any, so you can see them in the print. We shall see what version we come up with tomorrow. I can almost bank of the kids wanting to just paint the leaves themselves and that would be fun. We also like crayon rubbings. My dd even found a pretty red Maple leaf this week (before the rain) and drew another Canada flag, put the real leaf in the middle, and then we laminated it so it will stay red!

BHelf

Inuit Carving--ECC

Unread post by BHelf » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:53 am

Just wanted to say that we did this art project today and I honestly wasn't sure how it would turn out, but it was really neat to do! I even let my 3 and 2 year old do it--they just carved away at the soap with "knives" that have literally no sharp edges, but their soap was so soft they were able to break it to pieces and have a blast!! :)

My polar bear looks more like a hippo but my daughter's actually looks like a polar bear!! I am artistically challenged! lol

This was fun and I've loved all the art projects so far this year. (OKay, honestly hated the pinata because I hate sticky messes, but it was worth it in the end!!)

Still loving ECC!

Postby BHelf » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:49 pm
One thing about it--I thought it would take FOREVER and allowed plenty of time for it, but it really didn't take very long. My DD has really soft, easy to carve soap. It was Dial all day freshness White. I used Olay soap which was harder to cut but still not too time consuming for an adult or older child. I just used what I already had bought on sale. I guess your mileage may vary on time but it took us 15 minutes tops. :) (Of course, this could explain why my polar bear turned out to look like a hippo.)
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

BHelf

Our Canada Feast

Unread post by BHelf » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:35 pm

OKay, it seems I'm going to post after every feast of the year but they are all turning out to be so great!
For recipes, I followed someone's link on the ECC ideas forum for the Canada weeks. We had Canadian Kebobs and Marinated Cucumber Salad for our main courses. And we also had French bread. For appetizers we had strawberries with maple whip cream (also from this board somewhere). For dessert we had the Canadian Baked Blueberry Dessert out of A Trip Around the World and since we have no snow, we used Mayfield's Snow Cream icecream with hot maple syrup to serve alongside our blueberry dish (and we also topped with the maple whip cream.) Everything was delicious and everything was very simple to make and serve.

But to make the whole evening just awesome, my aunt--who was born in Canada and lived there for 6 years--brought over her pictures from Canada, including the times she has visited as an adult and we all looked at them and she talked to us about what she remembers. (Which was snow, snow and more snow!) We got to see all different areas of Canada and it was really neat! We all had a fabulous time! So insanely glad to be doing MFW ECC this year!!!

And I can't wait until Germany because my aunt's parents are from there (now live in AZ) but my aunt has been there several times and has all sorts of things and is inviting us to her house for our German feast where they will make our food and play German music and show pictures and whatever else they are planning for us!!!!! I am sooooo excited!!!

Brooke

705emily

Re: Our Canada Feast

Unread post by 705emily » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:22 am

We just had blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup. Does that count?? ;)
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:59 pm

Your Canada celebration sounds great! We just had plain pancakes but with real maple syrup. I also had bought maple-flavored cookies shaped like maple leaves at the store. We munched on those the last week we studied Canada. Well, actually the last official week was last week which we took to finish reading aloud Anne of Green Gables (LOVED it!). Of course, we worked on math and Awana. We also finished up some other books on Canada out of book basket. It was just one of those weeks. So we are just now starting South America this week (and we don't have the mission trip to show for it), but we are having fun. I am glad you enjoyed you feast so well and are looking forward to Germany.

Amy C.

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:03 am

The cooking projects are always a fun experience! We made pancakes with syrup and tried the vanilla ice cream with the maple syrup on another night - which was surprisingly good! And we watched the movie of Anne of Green Gables over the course of 3 nights. I also made the blueberry dessert for a neighborhood block party that weekend. So, it doesn't have to be done all at once to still be fun.

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

NJCheryl

Quick! Canadian Blueberry dessert... What size pan?

Unread post by NJCheryl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:10 am

hsmom wrote:Those who have tried it, what size do you recommend?
Postby NJCheryl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:10 am
Good question. When we did it I used a 9 x 13 and it was too big. I would definitely suggest to anyone else 9 x 9 or 8 x 8.
Cheryl
MBrasher wrote:Seems like I saw this asked somewhere before but I can't find the thread now. In ecc wk 8 on friday there's a cooking activity scheduled from A Trip Around the World on p. 97 for Canadian Baked Blueberry Dessert. Does anyone know what size casserole dish works best for this?
Postby rawbanana » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:14 pm
Hope it turns out! I found a recipe online for blueberry buckle so I think we are going to try that instead. We're going to go SUPER simple tomorrow and just decorate w/ their art work and make blueberry buckle for dessert with our regular dinner.
Have a great day!

Postby BHelf » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:40 pm
I made the Canadian blueberry dish in an 8 x 8 x 2 pan and it was FABULOUS and easy and it was a huge hit here!! Served it with vanilla icecream topped with maple syrup as well as maple whip cream. Num num num...I should make it again. :)

Postby MBrasher » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:41 pm
The Blueberry Dessert turned out GREAT and was gone literally in minutes! I didn't have an rectangular shaped 8 x 8 " casserole dish so I used a rounded casserole dish that was around the same dimensions. Any bigger would definitely have been too big. We had it w/ a scoop of vanilla ice cream topped w/ maple syrup and chopped nuts. So sad there weren't any left-overs --I could go for another bite right now :-)

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:36 am

Maple cookie recipe (essentially a sugar cookie with maple syrup in it).

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/maple-leaf-cookies

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:07 pm

It is very much the wrong time of year to find a maple leaf to do the suggested art project in Global Art, so I googled maple leaf template, and we cut out some large and small maple leaves from construction paper and made a maple leaf mobile to hang on the light ficture in our school room. It spruces things up nicely, and will be a nice decoration to hang over the dining table for our "feast," too.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Julie in MN

Weeks 7-8 Canada - TEACHING AN 8TH GRADER the second time t

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:09 pm

(1) A Trip Around The World - Language page
Since my son has been learning Spanish, we used the French page to compare French words to Spanish words. The days of the week are especially similar.

(2) Mapping the provinces & adding the territories -
For the outline map, I decided to have my 8th grader label the territories as well as the provinces. Since the Trip Around the World map doesn't have all the territories outlined, I drew in another line, which could take care of it. But then I decided instead to make my own page using an outline map found online.
http://geography.about.com/library/blank/blxcanada.htm (about.com is reproducible)
http://www.canada-maps.org/canada-outline-map-756.jpg (for kids who don't like coloring, though you need to draw in Prince Edward's province)

Here's an answer key. Note there are 10 provinces & 3 territories, which was wrong in one of our books.
http://members.shaw.ca/kcic1/cangifs/mapcan.gif

Here was a cool visual for the upper right corner of my homemade page:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... n).svg.png

(3) SOTW-4 page 28 -
We hadn't done this student page during 1850MOD, so we did it while studying Canada. I wanted to review some of the provinces etc.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

meagabby

Glue for sugar cube igloos

Unread post by meagabby » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:35 pm

sandi wrote: I am going to do the sugar cube igloos for Canada. How did you get your sugar cubes to hold together? Does regular glue work?
Sandi,
We used regular white glue for our sugar cube pyramids. They took the whole afternoon to dry though. Maybe that will work for igloos.
BHelf wrote:Regular white glue made our sugar cubes melt somewhat and they didn't hold together. Maybe icing would work?
oh, that's interesting, I wonder if it had to do with the brand of glue or brand of sugar cubes... ours was fine... dd even made something at church gluing sugar cubes with white glue and spray painted them gold after and they lasted a long time.
Loving learning with MFW!

Julie in MN

Re: need quick answer

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:47 pm

BHelf wrote:Regular white glue made our sugar cubes melt somewhat and they didn't hold together. Maybe icing would work?
meagabby wrote:oh, that's interesting, I wonder if it had to do with the brand of glue or brand of sugar cubes... ours was fine... dd even made something at church gluing sugar cubes with white glue and spray painted them gold after and they lasted a long time.
I'm just curious if "school glue" is being used instead of "white glue." My understanding is that school glue is a little different, such as I think it comes out in the wash? It's all very vague in my mind but just curious.

And yum on the icing idea!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

BHelf

Unread post by BHelf » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:22 pm

honestly I couldn't tell you if it was white glue or school glue...that was in the fall and well--my memory doesn't always go back that far. :) Good to know it doesn't happen to everyone though and that we can try it again with something else making sure we're using "white" glue. ;)

meagabby

Unread post by meagabby » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:08 pm

I didn't think of that... we buy both "white glue" and "school glue" when they are on sale. Not sure which we had on hand for our pyramids.
Loving learning with MFW!

mommccoy

"Oh Canada"

Unread post by mommccoy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:57 pm

We found the National Anthem of Canada on YouTube and learned all the words. It's a great song and it's one of the few National Anthems with English words. We sung it all year long, and especially enjoyed singing along during the Winter Olympics.

Erna

Unread post by Erna » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:50 pm

If anyone has made an American flag cake using a Kraft recipe, there is a Canadian flag one on-line. It's pretty simple to make (just make sure you let the Jell-O firm up a bit . . . not totally firm but so it is kind of lumpy if you mix it around) before putting it on some pound cake.

I'm a Canadian and don't know of any special tea time rituals here. I have to chuckle about putting maple syrup on everything. We don't really (in our home) but we like it on our pancakes and on waffles. I don't think everyone puts gravy on their fries but poutine can be a bit tasty but isn't for everyone's palettes.

I have a bunch of recipes that we made based on our revamped Adventures unit for our country. Sugar pie from Quebec is quite sweet but my children loved it. There were also poutine in a hole (not french fries but a folded over treat) that had maple syrup poured into a hole that was quite tasty. Blueberry grunt is another that went over well with our family and is done in a pot. It is like a dumpling with blueberries.

NCJessieRN

ECC Wk8 George Müller

Unread post by NCJessieRN » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:07 pm

We finished week 8 last week and learned about George Müller through Hero Tales. Tonight, I found a free ebook download through Amazon called Answers to Prayer From George Müller's Narratives. I've only read the first several pages but it is really good. Just thought I would share if anyone else is interested.
Jessica Noy
Moses 4
Hosanna 1
Shepherd 4/2013

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:14 pm

I just wanted to share our fun flying into Canada day. It wasn't quite as elaborate as our Mexico trip, but I tried. At the custom counter I put on my winter coat, scarf, and mittens! I welcomed them to Canada and after stamping their passport I put a stocking cap on their head :-) Not much but it was fun none the less!

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

canadianjoy

A New Territory

Unread post by canadianjoy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Just a note to those studying Canada, the book A Trip Around the World does not include the most recent Canadian territory of Nunavut added in 1999.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/coun ... ce/nuz.htm

http://www.kidzone.ws/geography/nunavut/index.htm

Aggie_Gal

Unread post by Aggie_Gal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:40 pm

We enjoyed the soap carvings. Here's what my daughters decided: glitter paint and Inuit soap carvings go together. I suggest choosing a design with minimal appendages - they will break off VERY easily. Also, for the younger and/or impatient ones, cookie cutters are helpful.

We played hockey for PE. I was shocked that my princesses were pretty much attacking each other with the hockey sticks, as they tried to get the puck. Fun times. The girls made Inuit Paper dolls for art. As you can see, I have "girly girls." They decided they need these exact outfits when we go to Canada. Not sure if that will happen, but we would love to vacation there some day. Since the vacation is out of the question, we settled for a movie night watching Anne of Green Gables to close our Canada unit.

http://ourhomeschoolmemories.blogspot.c ... anada.html
http://ourhomeschoolmemories.blogspot.c ... anada.html
Erica Dawn, wife of Robert, mom of Katelyn (9) & Rachel (6)
http://ourhomeschoolmemories.blogspot.com/