Weeks 1-2 Introduction

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
Julie in MN

ECC Weeks 1-2 TEACHING AN 8TH GRADER

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:52 pm

We have both been very happy doing the first two weeks of ECC (the 2nd time around). Here are some of our favorites & some extra ideas (from someone who has too many books around the house).

(1) Passports, visas, and immigration for older kids - Week 1
My 8th grader and I explored passports (proving where you are *from*) vs. visas (allowing you to *go in* somewhere else).

Some of the complexities of passports/visas could be illustrated for older kids by looking up the story of Captain Schröder and the SS St. Louis during WWII. The SS St. Louis illustrates the idea that a passport is not always enough to allow you to travel. Sadly, the Jewish passengers were rejected by many countries who could have saved them from WWII. "Refugees" can't be given temporary visas because they have no home address for return, but emigrant visas might not be available due to long waiting lists or quotas or sponsor requirements. I've read really opposite views about how or even whether the US was involved, but it seems clear that Captain Schröder was a hero who was obstructed by visa issues; one report said he considered even crashing his boat so the passengers would have to be given visas in England!

(2) God Speaks Numanggang -
You can actually read the translated Numanggang scriptures here (provided freely), or even see the dedication page showing when it was translated.
Click on Numanggang on the left, then "pdf" to read: http://pngscriptures.org/

(3) Viewing maps - Week 2
My son enjoyed wandering through the assigned Illustrated World Atlas pages on his own. He then went to Google Maps. There's a "Satellite" button that's on the actual map square, at the upper right (you can zoom in, move up/down, etc.). He wanted to look at some things more closely, such as the very edge of the big desert in Africa (it looked like a cliff on Google). It was nice to see him developing an interest & some independence in his learning :)

(4) Political maps - week 2
A fun activity after learning about borders on political maps:
Just get out the big map and find "straight" borders in the world. We found surprisingly few! (US/Canada/Alaska wins for longest straight border!)

(5) Intro to other religions -
I felt ready to take the discussion of other religions even further this week with my 14yo. He already is more knowledgeable about world religions than most people he will meet after doing all 5 years of MFW, but I'm very sensitive to preparing him for those who will present counter-arguments as he gets older. Already he's old enough that he hears words like "karma" used in confusing ways. I decided to set aside extra time on these topics this week. So, in addition to Window On The World (WOW), I used a generic children's book called The Usborne Book of World Religions. It covered most of the same topics as WOW; however, it gave more details (without being overkill). For example, the Usborne book had 6 pages on Judaism, and I chose to read several of the topics - Orthodox, Synagogues, Bar Mitzvah, Hebrew Language, and "The Home" (kosher, etc.).

The book also of course gave more non-Christian perspectives for us to talk about (with a parent). For example, my son is familiar with the Hindu practice of caste from years of study with MFW. Yet, I knew from my own life experience that if he talks about caste with folks from India, he will likely hear something similar to the Usborne book's description -- that caste is a former "political system" that is now "illegal" in India. However, the Usborne description goes on to describe "religious social groupings" and says they are different than "caste." We looked at the quotes, the descriptions, and our own experiences with meanings of words. We compared the Usborne "neutral" position and the WOW "Christian" position. I saw ds's understanding and faith become a little more three-dimensional, and it was worth the time. I'm so glad these topics are scheduled for discussion in MFW -- while I still have ds home with me!

(6) Parent book basket
Longitude, by Dava Sobel
Interesting book for parents who are into geography (probably not as interesting to my 8th grader who doesn't love reading, but I was able to share what I learned with him). The intro and beginning of the story really bring across the difference between latitude (consistent spacing, easy to identify) and the more difficult-to-identify longitude. Longitude problems caused loss of life during the Age of Exploration, a time of great sea travel, due to not finding land and supplies running out. The rest of the story is just an interesting biography of a gentleman who worked very hard to develop one of the first techniques for reliably and consistently measuring longitude. I must admit that I listened to the abridged audiotapes, so that's what my recommendation is based on.

(7) Poster variation the 2nd time through -
My son still has his original ECC poster, so he decided to make up something else to highlight John 3:16. Here is his idea: He created a heart out of bright cardstock (folding each piece into a long, narrow strip and stapling the strips together into a big heart shape). He wrote the verse all the way around the heart. I thought it would be nice to glue some people of the world onto it. (My silly son said the different bright colors already represented different people groups. I was puzzled and asked who the lime green stood for; he said that was the Numanggang in Papa New Guinea -- see how well he is retaining what he learns :) )
Attachments
100_6813 smaller heart.JPG
100_6813 smaller heart.JPG (10.41 KiB) Viewed 11314 times
Last edited by Julie in MN on Fri May 07, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

mfwstudent

Re: Weeks 1-2 Introduction

Unread post by mfwstudent » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:45 am

To help with the John 3:16 coloring sheets, and for hearing languages...

I found this site called Faith Comes by Hearing. It has free audio bibles in many languages.
http://www.faithcomesbyhearing.com/amba ... e-download

Julie - Staff

ECC week 2, leaf collecting

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:44 pm

rawbanana wrote:ok, it say to dry the leaf out and put it in a notebook...wouldnt the leaf then be all dry and crumbly? How would would you 'put it in a notebook?'
Anna
Postby cbollin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:44 pm
doesn't usually get dry and crumbly.
there's a note in week 2, wednesday for the same kind of thing we do to save leaves:
first, if the leaf is really wet, dry off the water with a paper towel.
put it between 2 sheet of paper, even wax paper will do.
then, put it in the middle of the unabridged dictionary.
I don't know how long.
cut around the wax paper and leaf.
tape it closed
tape onto regular paper.

similar method
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 316AA122Uy

seems more complicated, but might work faster -- haven't tried these
http://knol.google.com/k/how-to-dry-leaves-quickly#

let us know what you do and how it goes.
-crystal

Posted by fdjoyce » Fri Apr 30, 2010
Another leaf idea (as yet untried). I haven't tried this yet but read it somewhere & am looking forward to doing it:

Where we live the phone book is very small (think Lands End clothing catalog) but my sister lives in a big city w/ a 4 inch phone book. She saves her old ones for me.

What I read is that you can just stick your leaves or flowers inside those pages- they are thin paper so they absorb moisture well & are heavy enough themselves to do the job. Every time you stick one in you just go to a different chunk of the book & after it is all "used up" (no more dry, straight spots) just recycle the book. Then you don't have to do drying paper or have leaves in a good school book.

Postby mamanamadee » Fri May 07, 2010 9:09 am
I have done this with my old Rainbow Resource catalogs. I works great!!!

Naomi

Posted Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:23 am by my3boys
My kids have a 'nature notebook'. For preserving leaves we press them under heavy books for a bit and then we cover them with contact paper and tape them in the notebooks. We have also done rubbings where you put the leaves under the paper and rub over the top of the paper with crayon. We have also made art projects and collages with them - one time we ironed fall leaves between wax paper with crayon shavings and glitter (these look nice hung in a window).

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:19 pm by 1974girl
Since this was an optional project, I thought I'd skip it this time around. However, my DH's degree is in wildlife biology w/ a forrestry minor and informed me that we have a leaf press in the attic along with all of his leaf collections from 15 years ago! Sounds like a daddy thing to me. LOL

doubleportion

Re: ECC week 2, leaf collecting

Unread post by doubleportion » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:18 pm

Just a completely different idea here. For the leaf collecting we did the rubbings of bark and the leaves. And before the leaves were "rubbed" by dd, we took pictures of the leaves and the few berries, or pods, or whatever else she picked up of interest from that tree. I then printed out the pictures and put them next to her rubbings and writings for the leaf collecting. We really enjoyed looking back at them and saying "ooooh remember...."

Edie

Julie in MN

Prop. of Ecosystems: ecozones?? Day 1 older student activity

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:21 am

rawbanana wrote:I did the green section on p10 with my going to be 5th grader (we started ECC now instead of Aug), and it asker her to color the biogeographic realm a different color but I dont know where they stop and start so I couldnt help her on how to color, so we didnt do it...? Does anyone have a picture we could use to copy from? Thanks!
We used the info we had just read in the green box, and then used our ECC atlas to narrow it down. It's mostly just continents but it helped to locate a couple of landmarks like a desert or mountain range for some.

So, the info's in the last long paragraph. For example, the first one reads:
  • "The palearctic realm is the area containing Eurasia and north Africa. It is isolated from other realms by oceans to the north, west, and east, and the Himalayan mountains and Sahara Desert to the south."
I'll try to scan my son's. Remember he was an 8th grader & it's an advanced assignment. It's not super-exact, but I think it gives the general idea. (Oh, and he's not a neat writer!)

Julie

P.S. The green is very faint, but it covers from Russia, through all of Europe, and down to the very top of Africa (over the word "Sahara."
The pink looks like the purple, but purple is only in Africa & pink is over in southern India & into the islands.
Attachments
tmpC3 ecozones smaller.JPG
tmpC3 ecozones smaller.JPG (60.97 KiB) Viewed 11301 times
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

cbollin

Re: Prop. of the Ecosystems: ecozones??

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:45 am

rawbanana wrote:Thank you so much Julie!! I myself am not good at looking up info to find out something, so it never occurred to to to look in at atlas *blush*

I know its advanced, but I THOUGHT I read somewhere that advanced was for 6-8 but sometimes 4th and 5th, is that right?? i think I am pushing her a bit as she will not only not repeat ECC but wont even do 1850MOD before she has to start highschool =)
Anna,
The green boxes are generally for 6th, 7th, 8th graders. Take a look again at what MFW notes in the intro section of the manual. If you want to do some of the POE advanced assignment with your 5th grader to use it as a teaching skills time, it is ok to help them learn how to do some of those. With the "advanced" assignments in the ECC manual, I've usually heard MFW says 5th-8th and sometimes 4th with help. Just treat her like a 5th grader and don't worry about all assignments or all cycle programs. ((hugs))

But to answer how to do this assignment for whoever is doing it....
make your best estimate based on that last paragraph in the green box.
Look in the first few pages of Intermediate World Atlas (which is once again called Classroom Atlas) on the page called World Physical Map. That map picture will show
*oceans
*sahara
*himalayan
and the continents so that you can follow the info in the green box to a close enough purpose.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Prop. of the Ecosystems: ecozones??

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:47 am

rawbanana wrote:I THOUGHT I read somewhere that advanced was for 6-8 but sometimes 4th and 5th, is that right?? i think I am pushing her a bit as she will not only not repeat ECC but wont even do 1850MOD before she has to start highschool =)
Well, as long as she doesn't lose the joy of ECC, I'm sure it's an interesting exercise.

Julie

Julie - Staff

Help with lesson on SCALE - Maps and Globes

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:55 am

rawbanana wrote:Ok, we did the Maps and Globes today in wk 1 where they talk about scale. We looked at the 'key' on the globe and map and even drew out our diningroom to scale (where we do school) and my 8yr old STILL doesn't 'get' scale...does she really need to get it, or will she understand it as she gets older??
Postby cbollin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:07 pm
No, an 8 y.o doesn't need to get it today or tomorrow.Remember the analogy the other day: weeks 1 and 2 are like showing the Table of Contents of a book. And you'll get a bit more on week 2 with another activity to try again.

For my slow to average gal with this scale drawing, we did it a little differently. I started with playing with google maps and zooming in and zooming out to give a visual of how it can look differently.
we measured an object, then I said "what if we want to draw that object on paper and didn't have big enough paper? can we do it?"

Then, I made it simple.
I said each time we have one of these (holding up a ruler), we will draw one straight line in just one box.
I moved the ruler, she moved the pencil on the lines.
and I left it at that. Very concrete and visual and simple.

Now with my oldest when she was 8 and doing ECC, I made it too abstract and she didn't get it either. :)

Postby jasntas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:54 pm
I don't know if this would help or not but here goes.

When we did the Insects unit in K with my dd, I read a book that was totally unrelated to this subject but it somehow helped my dc with scale and how things look smaller at a distance. It had a little girl that always dressed up like a ladybug. I think the book was called 'Ladybug Girl'. Anyway, the little girl's brother and his friends were playing baseball and didn't want to play with her. So she sat at a distance with her dog and measured the boys with her index finger and thumb. They looked as small as ants at a distance. I don't remember the conversation she had with her dog about it but since then my dc always measure things at a distance like that now and think it's funny. They now seem to understand the concept. I don't know if this is any help but there it is. :~ :)

My dd also decided to be a ladybug for Halloween after I read this book. Kids are funny.

Postby cbollin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:14 pm
rawbanana wrote:I think the problem with her is that she WANTS to get it, so its frustrating as well for her to hear 'its ok, you'll understand it later on' =)
Can she just "do" the concrete exercise and then say "Look I made a scale drawing." without understanding all stuff of it? Maybe she is more of a concrete thinker and that just by doing the project she will get it right? Maybe she likes to learn by analogy?

Make it as concrete as possible and in small bite size sentences to make the analogy?
Here is a photograph of you -- but you are really this big (and stretch your arms out). The photograph is a scale drawing.
Here is a picture of the world (google map, globe, map). It is much much much bigger than that. The map is a scale drawing.
Here is your desk, let's make a scale drawing. (take a photo, or draw on paper with the grids). That's it, we did it together!

More than likely she already understands scale drawings but just doesn't realize it. maybe the analogy approach fits her style for right now? I'm guessing of course based only on how I teach my middle child.

Postby Julie in MN » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:10 pm
Anna,
If the hand exercise isn't until next week, then I think there is where it will all click in the end. It's pretty concrete.

And just generally, when I did ECC with an 8th grader, I realized that there were tons of things that he probably didn't really understand when we did ECC in 3rd. Things like the vocab words about things he'd never seen. But the seeds were planted. And you know who was getting educated? Me! I was becoming a "teacher" who "knew stuff" and could answer questions :)

Postby Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:16 pm
It clicked for my dd with the hand thing in wk 2. Total lightbulb moment. But I love the google map idea! Especially using the arial view -- "see? this is our neighborhood - it would take you 5 minutes to walk to the park, but if we make everything smaller, it all fits on this map like little dollhouses." Hey! That's another idea -- "do you see how your dollhouse has 3 levels plus an attic? It has lots of furniture (not as much as she'd like, but hey - she won't spend her allowance) and it all fits in the rooms like our couches and things. It's scaled down."

Julie - Staff

?? about the worms in ECC wk 1

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:54 pm

rawbanana wrote:From the description in the book, it looks like you do the soil/sand/soil/oats layers and THEN put the worms on top of all of that...is that right? I would think you would want the worms IN either the bottom layer of soil or the one on top of the sand...will the burrow down thru the oats to get back in the soil?

Also, do you want to dampen the soil at all or leave it as is?
Thanks!
Anna
Postby BHelf » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:54 pm
You put them on top. They will burrow in. If your dirt is dry, you dampen it just a little.

But our worm experiment was...rather unsuccessful. lol. mold and exploding worms (our A/C broke during the hottest part of the year and the worms got too hot and exploded!).

Postby kcmyworld » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:39 pm
We enjoyed the worm project. When our oats became fuzzy, I scooped them out and replaced with fresh ones. When we had mold growing in the jar, I put a cotton ball on top of the dirt which helped dry things out. We kept the worms for probably 3 months before deciding to release them. On the way out to the yard, my son dropped the jar and it shattered. Poor worms - what a rude awakening! But I was surprised to find most if not all had survived their stay with us.
cbollin wrote:did we decide that holes in the jar lid are needed even though it isn't mentioned specifically in the POE book?
Postby Amy C. » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:17 pm
If I remember correctly, we decided here at my house that the holes in the jar lid worked better. I think we had more live worms in the end in the jar with holes in the lid. Some people on here recommended putting a portion of old pantyhose on the lid secured with a rubber band.

Happy worm experiment!

Postby BHelf
Yes, we decided we needed holes or at least covering it with panty hose or something breathable.
rawbanana wrote:Also, do you need to 'water' the worm jars, or mist them at all? And how long do you keep them before returning them back to the yard? We just used soil out of our garden for them (since thats where we dug them up from and we used the deeper, more moist soil, but I am wondering if we periodically need to mist the inside of the jar..?
Postby BHelf » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:50 pm
I wouldn't think you'd have to get it much more moist unless it just starts to look dry. I'm sure I'm chiming in too late here but with our experience, moist meant mold. With the kind of dirt you used, I would think it would be okay. How is it going so far?

rawbanana

Re: ?? about the worms in ECC wk 1 - Success!

Unread post by rawbanana » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:03 pm

Postby rawbanana » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:03 pm
I blogged about our experiences!
I thought the worms would be easy-peasy to find, but nope, they wanted to see me sweat *whew*
Each of my 4 girls did a worm jar, and I found, I think 4 worms per jar.
We did put a *little* more dirt on top of the works after we put them in, maye a tsp full. That was about 4 hours ago. I covered them w/ construction paper and we just checked and on one of the jars, you can see 2 of the worms burrowing down the side of the jar.
The girls are so fascinated by it.
We punched holes in the lid, hope that is good enough!

Postby rawbanana » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:02 pm
The worms are doing great, making all sorts of neat tunnels. In one of our jars though, the oats on top are getting a little 'fuzzy', do I need to do anything about that?
MY BLOG!
http://passionatemotherhood.blogspot.com/
Anna-mom of 4 girls, 1 boy
Savannah 09/00
Ariel 02/02
Skylar 10/03
Jaidyn 06/05[/color
]
Joshua 02/08
Started ECC July 2010!

rawbanana

Unread post by rawbanana » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:13 pm

I found a great book to go along with the Science in the first 2 weeks, its called 'Biomes and Ecosystems' and goes along PERFECTLY with the science. I would say its for advanced 8yr olds (reading wise) or above.
MY BLOG!
http://passionatemotherhood.blogspot.com/
Anna-mom of 4 girls, 1 boy
Savannah 09/00
Ariel 02/02
Skylar 10/03
Jaidyn 06/05[/color
]
Joshua 02/08
Started ECC July 2010!

ssheitmann

Unread post by ssheitmann » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:13 pm

Great video for Weeks 1-2

If the World Were a Village: A Story about the World's People

We stumbled upon this at the library and it was a perfect fit for our introduction to ECC. It even won an Award of Excellence in 2007. Apparently there is a book by the same name but we have not read it. Reference is made to the world's ethnic groups, languages, food preferences, religions, etc.

Julie - Staff

Fun way to start ECC -

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:42 pm

Postby chatmom » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:42 pm
We watched Around the World in Eighty Days , the one originally made in the 60's - it was very enjoyable and my daughter is chomping at the bit to start ECC.

Postby jasntas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:35 pm
My library system has a waiting list for this movie. :( Others must have the same idea. Great idea though. Maybe we could watch it later in the year and still enjoy it. Thanks for the idea. :)

Postby doubleportion » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:32 pm
You can find it on Netflix if you have a subscription. It is available Instant Play.

Edie

cbollin

earthworms

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:25 am

Here is some information to help with earthworms

Mold on top layer is not a sign of failure of this experiment. Mold growing in forest layers is common. Mold on ground is common. It just means that you have
mold growing in a moist, dark, area. This is not a failure of the experiment. So if you see it, it's ok. If you don't see it, that is also ok.

My guess is that the vast majority of people doing this experiment are getting the results that are the goals of the experiment. That main goal is to observe
that earthworms mix soil layers and move around. It is a very short term experiment. MFW manual says 2 weeks or less maximum. 1 week should be enough.

If you use hard compacted clay type soil, you may not see the results as well.

You need holes in the lid in some fashion. The POE book says to seal the jar, but they didn't intend to imply that there were be no holes.

Do not overheat the jar or place in sunlight directly. If your air conditioning goes out, find a way to keep the worms and jar cool.

So, your experiment is a success if:
You start with layers of soil
Add worms
Observe that worms move in the jar
And mix layers of soil/oat/sand/ etc.

Dark soil and light colored oats make it easier to see the mixing results.

Set them free after 5-7 days.

Hope that helps everyone to know that the experiment is working.

-crystal

Julie - Staff

ecc, earthworms - Walmart vs. the back yard

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:20 pm

jasntas wrote:We are doing this experiment this week. Knowing it was going to be hot and dry, with no worms in sight, I picked up some worms from the sporting goods section of Walmart. I got the huge night crawlers. GROSS!! I put them in a large jar, layered the damp dirt/sand/dirt/oatmeal, put worms in, put panty hose on top with a rubber band holding the hose in place and wraped the jar in dark construction paper.

Pretty much all they have done so far is sit on top of the dirt on one side of the jar in a big fat mass. They are still alive but not showing much activity. Yesterday I moved them to the center of the jar to see if they were still alive. They moved back over to one side back in one big mass but that's about it. I know, I'm not suppose to disturb nature, just observe. (I think I'm more impatient than the dc. They don't even seem to care.)

Does anyone know if they are the 'wrong' type of worms? Or if I'm just not being patient enough?
Post by TriciaMR » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:20 pm We just did the experiment from 1st grade (no oatmeal on top, but shredded leaves), and our Walmart worms were quite active once they warmed up to room temp. I just so happened to have some black cloth to cover the jar with (a medium sized pickle jar), so I used a rubber band to secure it. The worms definitely moved around - but I did make our soil/sand layers quite damp. And, when we dumped them into the garden 10 days later, they were still wriggling.
jasntas wrote:I'm just too inpatient. :~ The worms are now starting to do their thing. :) They are now past the first dirt layer and heading into the sand layer. The dc are getting more interested as well. As suggested, we have been taking a daily picture of the activity and the dc are now getting into the act with 'bunny ears' over the jar and everything. Too funny. :)
Postby mamabear23cubs » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:32 am
we are suppose to do this and I cannot find any worms but we did learn that the soil can be hard as a rock when it hasn't rained in over two weeks. I flooded our backyard area in hopes in the morning there may be some wigglies. A few weeks ago there were worms everywhere but we were not doing school at the time. Now that we are they are hidden. One cool thing, while outside (evening) we got to observe a handful of bats. We had just talked about bats in one ofthe books and the kids enjoyed it once they realized the bats were not going to come suck their blood:)

jasntas

Worm niche in ECC - Oats?

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Poohbee wrote:Okay...my dh is going to do the earthworm niche experiment from POE with my dds tomorrow. I've searched the archives, and I've searched the main board, but I didn't see anything about this. It's probably a silly question, but here goes. When it says to put oats on top, is it okay to use oatmeal, or do I need to get actual oats? Where would I get oats, if oatmeal won't work? I know...silly question. Thanks for any help you can give me. :-)
I used oatmeal. It seemed to work fine. Actual oats didn't even cross my mind. :) HTH
cbollin wrote:oatmeal is when it is cooked. You probably don't want to use cooked oats.

Oats is what you want, that is probably what you are thinking of using when you are saying "oatmeal". It's the stuff in the round cardboard box with the quaker dude on it (or buy a store brand). Even the "cooks in 1 minute" variety is still called Oats. don't cook it.

-crystal
Um...not cooked. It was uncooked Quaker oats. The dry stuff. ;) :) Sorry about the mix up. :~ :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

shera

Instead of week 2's around the world cake...

Unread post by shera » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:32 pm

annaz wrote:Friday we are set to make the around the world cake. But after eating way too many cookies and sweets during the holidays, the thought of cake on Friday sorta makes me gag ;)

Is there another food idea that would work? I love cake! Just not quite yet. :~
Postby cbollin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:46 pm
how about
Pancakes and spread blueberry jam on it? (who cares about the green?)
get a blue plate (plastic in grocery store kind of thing), take cooked angel hair pasta, and make it in shapes of the continents and fill with veggies and sauce?
baked mac and cheese with bread crumbs on it?
rice and cheese
tortilla with cheese
pizza - get pre made crust, and spread sauce, add toppings...

Postby Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:46 pm
As someone who has done the world cake TWICE, I love the pizza idea! Get two pizza crusts (Sprouts has a fabulous gf pizza crust that comes in a 2-pack - I'm in heaven), smear on the sauce, add cheesey continents, some pepperoni mountains. Cool deal! :-)

Postby Julie in MN » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:09 pm
World pinata?
3D world map out of paper mache or construction paper?
Cheez-Whiz on a tortilla?
World quilt?!

Postby shera » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:32 pm
Pizza with the toppings shaped like a continent.
Quesadilla then cut the top tortilla in the shape of the continents.
Ice cream with chocolate sauce drizzled in the shape of the continents or sprinkles in the shape of the continents.

Postby annaz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:27 pm
LOL....thanks for the oodles of ideas.
I know I'll pick one of these... :-)
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd 08/04
dd 07/09

Julie - Staff

Ideas for Jn.3:16 Poster ECC Wk 1

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:40 pm

momsflowergarden wrote:Ok, I don't have mag. to cut up. I am not a magazine reader and really didn't see this in time to try to get any from friends. Any ideas of how we could go ahead and do the poster? This is supposed to happen tomorrow but.......
Postby NJCheryl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:36 pm
Could you find some pics online to print out?

Postby Julie in MN » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:08 am
Any missions magazines around the house, operation Christmas Child brochures, museum brochures, junk mail with photos - especially with a world theme such as supporting an international child or salvation Army? Otherwise the MFW missions page has good pix:
http://www.mfwbooks.com/missions.htm
http://www.gwftn.org/#projects

Another idea would be to just write the verse and set up the poster, add a photo of your family, and add more pix as you "discover" them throughout the year -- a little family treasure hunt.

My ds made up his own alternative the second time through ECC. Photo is here, way at the bottom of my post:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... =50#p58533

Postby MelissaM » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 am
Also, in my ECC package box, there were about 4 catalogs - even giving a couple away, that's probably more than I need. There are a couple pics in there you can cut out and use on your poster - that's my plan, anyway.

(I'm so glad you're starting this now, you can stay a week ahead of me, and I can steal all your ideas!)
:)

Postby cbollin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:45 am

and if you don't still have any paper catalogs of MFW, you can search online and print a pic
http://mfwbooks.com/catalog.htm

Postby Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:59 pm

All of the pics on my dd's poster were printed out from online sources. I googled "pictures of *-ans" for each country. Americans, Canadians, etc. (Just be careful with Brazilians! ooops! Glad I did the picture searching by myself! *blush*) The poster turned out great, though!

Postby ChristyH » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:24 am
Maybe hit a thift store for some national geographics. That is what we did and cut out pictures of the people. :-)

Postby momsflowergarden » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:40 pm
Thank you, everyone for your ideas. We didn't get to the poster today but I think I have found enough pics for them to do the two posters. I moved it to Friday. I know they are going to have fun with this.

1974girl

Continent Song

Unread post by 1974girl » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:25 am

We made continents on paper and my kids hopped from one to the other while singing that (or waddled to Antarctica). That way, they kinda get the feel of where they are located. I love that song.
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

TriciaMR

Worm Experiment in the Dead of Winter

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:13 pm

booklovermom25 wrote:For those of you who have started ECC in the middle of the year, what do you do about digging up worms when the ground is covered with ice and snow?

TIA,
RuthAnn
We bought worms at Walmart in the bait shop. Worked great.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

curtamy

Exploring Countries and Cultures -- Share Your Experienc

Unread post by curtamy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to share that this is day 4 of MFW ECC for us, and the children are really enjoying it. Our oldest, age 7, was learning the continent song and decided that each continent needed an animal, not just Australia and Antarctica, so I thought I'd post the version we worked on together for any other animal lovers out there. It is so great that she is being inspired to be creative via the curriculum-thank you for blessing us!

(To the tune of Yankee Doodle Dandy still, but two stanzas of it....)

Raccoons eat up all your trash in North America;
South America has a choking snake called a boa.
Antarctica has penguins that waddle all around;
Australia has kangaroos that jump all over the ground.

Africa has lions that roar all around you;
Asia has panda bears that climb on bamboo.
Europe has an arctic fox that runs in the snow;
These are the 7 continents that I now know!

Also, I just thought we'd share that we found a great website for kids through Voice of the Martyrs called kidsofcourage.com...You would probably want to screen each day's post first, but these can be used to discuss the persecuted church around the world with children and to pray for specific children each day.

blessings,
Amy M.

[ editor's note: moved to the "Ideas" board for better exposure to families looking for great ideas in weeks 1-3 ]

Mexmarr

ECC Day 2 - Orange alternative

Unread post by Mexmarr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:29 am

I just wanted to share what I did in place of drawing the continents on an orange and quartering that to show the distortions of going from a globe to a map. First, I am a terrible drawer, so I knew it would be quite distorted already, lol. Plus trying to scale it down that much seemed way too hard. I read on here somewhere that someone used a cheap inflatable ball to make it more the size of a ball and I liked that.

THen I remembered something. My kids had done a summer reading program at the library, and one of the prizes was a blow-up globe. The were pretty dinky quality, so I knew they wouldn't last long. We had two of those - in addition to the nicer globe ball included with ECC.

So, I used one of the old globe balls. It was PERFECT! I quartered it making the first cut in the same place as on wall map, and you couldn't ask for a better way to show the situation. Greenland was in 2 parts and they could clearly see why it had to be stretched out on the wall map. Russia was as well, and it was also clearly bigger on the map. They could clearly see how antartica was fairly circle in shape, not long and thin. I NEVER could have come close to showing that as well as I could using an orange of ball.

I recommend the investment of buying an additional globe ball just too cut up!
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures

Julie in MN

I have misplaced my passport app

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:59 am

2amazngkidsmom wrote:Can someone tell me what the passport application looks like I have misplaced mine and need to create one for my ECC student. We are beginning and can't find the paper.
Thanks
Teresa
How about printing out a real application? It won't be as streamlined as the ECC one, but might be fun to look at. The postal service has info here: https://www.usps.com/shop/apply-for-a-passport.htm

If your home printer has a copier, then you could just copy one of your family checks for the child to fill out?
Julie

cbollin

Re: I have misplaced my passport app

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:07 pm

That's frustrating to misplace a page when getting started.
((hugs))

The page can be simple:
Date
name
address
birthdate
birth place
m/f

make a pretend check (practice writing one)to Passport office.... and then you can pretend or mail it to your self at your own home.
another practice check idea... .if you still get paper copy of your credit card statements... some of those have those checks in there... nice to play pretend (just remember to shred them when done and not just put in trash.. )

that's the simple page... -- just a simple form to pretend and have learning experience. a Learning check.. the outline of a pay to the order of was on the sheet...
However, I was thinking the same thing as Julie... ;)

you could be fancy and print just page 5-6 of the real form on the state dept website. ds-11. (you'll have to add the http and www and that stuff)
state.gov/documents/organization/79955.pdf

then you can read together what you would need for real passport and begin to check that you know where you birth certificates, etc are......

2amazngkidsmom

Re: I have misplaced my passport app

Unread post by 2amazngkidsmom » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Thank you thank you. Such great ideas! This board is such a blessing to us!

My dd 8 enjoyed filling out the passport form and seeing what it takes to get one.

Teresa :-)