General Ideas for ECC

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
stevienext

Re: General Ideas for ECC

Unread post by stevienext » Thu May 02, 2013 3:59 pm

If anyone is interested, I have started a Pinterest board with lots of ECC ideas I've collected. Here's my board: http://pinterest.com/stevienext/mfw-ecc/

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 am

An idea I found via google is to make continent boxes ~ each box contains a variety of items on that particular continent. Some ideas would be stamps (found at local hobby store), flags, plastic animal figures (like the Toobs), currency, pictures of people/art/food/houses, postcards, paper dolls, spices, fabrics. The possibilities are endless! It is a fun extra that includes even the littlest members of the family into the ECC study. :-)

Here is my pintersest board with ideas I have collected: http://pinterest.com/4monkeyz/ecc-mfw/.

I also am going to be working through K and a book suggestion was "From Akebu to Zapotec" ~ I love the illustrations and the ABC tie in!

Can't wait for another fun year!!
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

gratitude

Bulletin board

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 am

4monkeyz wrote:I am super excited about ECC! Next week my mom is going to help me cover a bulletin board to hang in our dining room. Jazz it up a bit. Thought it might look nice to have a top caption say "Kenya" or "Africa" at the top then maybe a giraffe down in the bottom corner. Pin up a map, prayer cards and John 3:16. Maybe a craft or something? Then change it out as we go along.

Which reminds me, when we use the Window on the World for say Africa, do we have prayer needs for the whole continent or just Kenya? Trying to decide if I should do broad continent titles or more specific. Hm.
We are starting ECC in September, and I am really looking forward to it! :-)

So this answer is based on what I am thinking of how I want to do it, rather than experience.

I am planning on focusing prayers on countries, rather than continents. I am really hoping to get extra information about each country we pray for. They had specific prayer requests for a different individual country in Awana last year, and as a leader I found it meaningful. It seems like WotW provides some specifics. This program though is right up my alley of interests so I am hoping/planning on researching each country and coming up with as much as I can to learn some about the people. I love your rotating bulletin board idea! :-)

Julie in MN

Re: Bulletin board

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Okay, so for Africa, these are the prayer focuses (foci just sounds too sciency :) ) and each is shown on a map:
1. Riffi Berbers (mountain people over towards Morocco)
2. Kal-Tamashaq (desert people who span Niger, Algeria, Mali, and some of the tiny Burkina Faso.
3. Pygmies (rainforest people of Demoncratic Republic of Congo and several neighboring countries)

So you see, many times prayers are for a people group that crosses boundaries of a political entity/country. However, just as a comparison, in Saudi Arabia, you pray for:
1. Saudi Arabia
2. Kurds (in Turkey, Iran, Iraq, etc.)

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks Julie & Gratitude!! I laid out some of the pieces last night to get a feel for the size, etc. I think I will put our church missionaries per specific countries and then where ever we are in WotW might go up too depending on space. Also have maps in the parent packet, so I thought about maybe using fun ric-rac to pin the specific area being studied/prayed for...

Am I able to share photos of my project on the board?? I am kind of excited about it. :-)
Julie in MN wrote:Yes, photos are fun to share! Here are some tips: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8074 (scroll down to the 3rd post to see a link to Tammie's picture)
Aw. Thanks. I am having so much fun! :)

I'm in progress - the fabric I was going to use was way too busy, so right now I have just the plain board. I am thinking a small check or maybe a solid fabric. The space below will be for missionaries or anything else we discover along the way. The "Africa" sign (and later the other continents) will be clipped to ribbon (my dh is going to put sm. hooks that the ribbon can attach too on the sides of the board). The Kenya & Uganda will be pinned with ribbon drawing a line to the actual space. :)

Let me try the photo thing...
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (47.06 KiB) Viewed 10398 times
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:44 pm

I found some posters about biomes at our local teacher supply store that I plan on putting up as we go through the year. Though, my main wall where I hang everything is full. :)
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:03 am

There will be specific prayer points for each of the countries or people groups assigned each week in Window on the World. However the country that is focused on for prayer will be a country or people group on the continent you are in but not necessarily the country you are studying. Of course you can also pray for the focus country during the weeks you study it as well.

I love your board idea! Just a quick note about the maps in the parent/teacher supplement. They can be used in anyway you would like as you teach ECC this year, but are provided if for any reason you need additional copies for your family such as mistakes that kids make at times.

Hope that helps!

MelissaB

For MFW K, ECC, & Expl.-1850

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu May 29, 2014 3:12 pm

For those doing MFW K, Exploring Countries and Cultures, or Exploration to 1850, just a reminder that the Answers in Genesis for Kids website has really great videos about the animals we're studying.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

disneymommy

Unread post by disneymommy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:18 pm

We are just getting ready to start this week. But here are two globe ideas I haven't seen mentioned:

The Intelliglobe. Search at sites like Rainbow Resource for "Intelliglobe with Wireless Intelli-Pen"
Got it a few weeks ago and the kids LOVE it! My younger ones listen to the national anthems and dance. My oldest likes to compare - distance between two places, different life expectancies in different countries, etc. I went back and forth 1,000 times about whether or not to spend that much money on a globe. I'm so glad I did!

And for our smallest tag-along:
Search at sites like Amazon or Timberdoodle for "Hugg-A-Planet® Classic Political Earth by Hugg-A-Planet" or "Hugg-A-Planet's World Globe" (there is also smaller version)

Yodergoat

First few weeks ECC (with pics)

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:54 pm

I thought I'd give a little update on our first few weeks of ECC, which I am doing with a 3rd grade daughter (an only child). We are really enjoying this curriculum thus far, and I just know that it will become even better as we delve into the various countries and people groups!

This first photo is from our first day of 3rd grade. On our first day, we always take a photo with Gail holding a sign she makes with the grade, date and curriculum for that year. Then we measure her height on a certain door frame (and wow did she grow from last year!) and we read a long, encouraging note from Daddy which he leaves for her on a large white board for the first day of school. These are our "traditions." You may note that the map is behind our couch, the only free space of wall we had, and it was only available after much shifting of pictures and such. But we love having this in the living room, and we look at it often. We also play a game in which one of us will name a country and someone will try to find it (using a laser pointer), or we will point at a country and someone will try to name it. Maybe we're nerds, but the whole family finds this to be great fun!
IMG_1191.JPG
first day sign
IMG_1191.JPG (70.07 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
One thing I like to do is to sort of "show" how we did some of the suggested projects. I often have a hard time visualizing how something is meant to look, and pictures help me. The photo below shows her John 3:16 poster. We used a cutting machine at the library for the lettering, only to discover that they didn't have numbers, so I had to hand draw and cut those. We used a mix of Voice of the Martyrs magazine, Gospel For Asia mailings and a few from a National Geographic. The size is only 8.5x11, but we chose not to put it in our binder but to hang it up beside our big wall map. I am not sure if the paper was intended to be totally covered by pictures "collage style," but that is what we ended up doing. I often find myself looking at this poster and it is a wonderful reminder that the world is full of real people who need Jesus, and not just countries and place names. I suppose that was probably the author's intention. ;)
IMG_1196.JPG
John 3:16 poster
IMG_1196.JPG (85.33 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
Another project from ECC was the "world cake." Gail had great fun with this even though it was really just a rather simple cooking project and decorating activity. I tried my best not to micro-manage and just let her have her way with the design and the icing of the cake. We used a 10 inch cake pan, one layer, and used leftover mix for some cupcakes. Gail purposely wore a dress which had "earth colors."
IMG_1213.JPG
world cake
IMG_1213.JPG (33.6 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
Of course we have done other projects, but I wanted to share the outcomes of these basic suggested activities for the introductory weeks of ECC if there is anyone who is about to begin the program.

Tonight for supper, I made Navajo Fry Bread and "Navajo Tacos." The curriculum suggested an American meal of a cookout with hamburgers and fixings. It seemed that the Navajo people were cropping up time and again in our study, from the prayer focus in Window on the World to some of our book basket books, to a show that Gail saw at my parents' house about a man eating unusual Navajo foods, to today's reading in the Children's Atlas of God's World. So I used what I had on hand to make a Navajo style meal, and was able to share that this type of bread became a traditional food after some of the Navajo had been moved onto reservations and given government rations of flour, shortening (lard?), baking powder and salt. The fry bread was delicious as a main course when topped with meat and ranch style beans, then we had it for dessert with powdered sugar and cinnamon and pear jam. Gail enjoyed it and my husband even requested that it become an option in our regular meal rotation.

In keeping with the Navajo theme, Gail did sand art, but we did not make our own "sand" from cornmeal as suggested in Global Art because we already had some colored sand. We just had two colors, but that is all she needed. She wanted to combine the sand art with a pottery design inspired by the "Zuni Pottery Maker" picture study from Language Lessons for Today. So we used a sheet of cardstock, on which she drew a large pot. On this she made zig-zag designs which she then traced over with glue on a cotton swab. She did small areas at a time, and we contained it all by doing it in a plastic tray. It turned out to be a fun, easy craft that combined two aspects of native culture... sand art and pottery design! She also made several small pots out of Crayola air dry clay and is outside painting them at the picnic table right now while listening to an audio recording of "Stone Fox," one of the suggested books for the United States.

Since she had wanted a poster or time line sort of thing to add to all year, we decided to make a small bulletin board area (where her Names of Jesus poster from Adventures had previously been hanging) for displaying items from the current country we are studying. Right now our large poster-size bulletin board has our USA John 3:16 coloring sheet, a sticker map of the United States, her sand art pottery piece, and a collage of puff paint pictures she made of various Native American articles she had drawn in her free time (designs of belts, arrowheads, moccasins and the like). I hope we can continue using this area to display the current country of study, perhaps filing away the previous country's things in her notebook. I am looking forward to displaying items to represent countries in South America because I found this cool brightly colored woven llama wall hanging (at a thrift store for 50 cents) that would be perfect! We love thrift store and yard sale shopping, and it is fun to be looking for items which can go with certain countries or cultures. :)

Everything is going quite well and we are having a wonderful time!
Last edited by Yodergoat on Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

gratitude

DVDs for ECC

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:12 pm

I found some wonderful DVDs at the library last week that go well with ECC.

The title of the web-site is Families of the World. They have done 28 DVDs in 28 different countries. In the library I found them in the children's section. One title is Families of the World DVD More Families of Mexico. They include countries such as Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Israel, USA, etc. It is a great find! :-)

We did Mexico in April for ECC, but the first one we watched today was the one for Mexico. It was a half hour and followed two different families through a typical day through the eyes of a child. They had the child being followed narrate the video. The first child it followed was an eight year old girl who is the daughter of a coffee bean picker and lives in a small village. The second child was 12 and was the son of a father who helps run a chain of stores. Both children were followed from the time they got up at 6:00 am, to school, through their day, to church (mass) on Sunday, to an activity, one went to a Birthday party, etc. I liked how it showed that children in Mexico live differently in some ways from us, and in other ways very much the same. That children in another country really aren't much different then they are and like many of the same things they do. I want them to have strongly the message that God made all people, and that in the end we really aren't so different after all.

I am looking forward to checking out all 28 over the course of the year. I thought I would share on the board in case anyone is interested.
4Truth wrote:Oohh, our library has them! Thanks for mentioning it. :-)
We watched Israel yesterday, and it made me think of CTG. These videos have a similar format of following one rural family and one urban family. Both families for Israel were Jewish & they included in it seeing their Friday night Sabbath celebration. I thought this could benefit CTG users too!

We are Loving this find! :-)

I thought I would add when I put some on hold through inter library yesterday for some reason I had to search through Master Communications, their copyright company. This might help in finding them.

I am glad you found them Donna! They have really added to our culture study this week. The kids perspective engages my children very well who are 11,9,7,& 5.

MelissaB

Re: DVDs for ECC

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:37 am

We just watched some trailers for the Families of the World videos on youtube. Great videos.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Countries and culture testing end of year

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue May 19, 2015 11:24 am

gardeningmama wrote:We are coming to the end of our countries and cultures study. We have loved it! I have a second and a third grader. I wondered if anyone out there has created an and of the year test for all subjects that they would be willing to pass along to me. I know typically you don't test with homeschooling. But this is just for fun for me to see how much they've retained. I know I can go subject by subject and use reviews as tests and I know the geography is it's own test with the map. I'm looking for testing on some of the facts we've learned for each of the countries throughout the year, Bible facts for what we've learned through the year, etc.
Hi,
I so remember being at the end of ECC that first year with MFW, full with learning and character encouragement!

Since no one has chimed in yet, I always have a few thoughts ;)

1. Of course the countries quiz is great.

2. Vocab cards and memory verses could be used.

3. Some kids have fun with "game show" type questions (based on their notebooks or headings in the various books - it could even be "open notebook" for the kids to race to find answers).

4. When we did ECC the first time (3rd grade), I made a little quiz to help us distinguish the different Asian countries we had studied (Saudi Arabia, India, China, Japan, Russia). I could send you that via email. Here is the first question:
TRADITIONAL WOMEN’S CLOTHING:
______ Kimono (robe)
______ Short jacket & pant
______ Fur coat
______ Covered head to foot
______ Saari (long, straight piece of cloth wrapped around you)

5. We read a lot of fairy tales in book basket that year, so at one point I made him a little quiz where he matched the fairy tale character to the story we had read.

6. In my Word documents, I have an end-of-year quiz that I indicated was "from Elizabeth's mom" and it has a copyright-type note at the bottom of each page dated 2006. Sheepishly, I can't remember right now which mom that was, but here is a sample of her questions for Brazil, just to give you some ideas (it would likely need adapting for 2nd-3rd grades):
• ID all SA countries and oceans.
• ID a missionary to SA and give a brief summary of his or her work.
• Who are the Waorani/Auca people? Where do they live? Describe their lifestyle and religion.
• Describe the main biome of Brazil. Give examples of plants, animals, weather, and precipitation.
• What is the primary language spoken in Brazil? Why?

At the ages of your kids, you might just want to spend an entire day going over their notebooks. Or, give a presentation to dad, where he asks things about the notebooks and various items they put on display.

Have fun! And congrats on your year!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: Countries and culture testing end of year

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri May 22, 2015 4:00 pm

I created a crossword puzzle (in .pdf form) from the geography vocabulary words in ECC back when we did ECC the first time. It's more of a "fun test." You are welcome to use them if you'd like.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL