General Ideas for ECC

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
Julie in MN

Re: ECC, sooo excited

Unread post by Julie in MN »

That is so cool! I know my kids always made much more of a connection with something "tangible."

I imagine your neighbors are pleased, as well, knowing that you care to learn about their culture. When we were doing ECC, we met a woman and child in the park who were from India. The mom seemed so surprised that we had learned anything about her country! I enjoyed blessing her that way.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
Jami

Unread post by Jami »

That's great! Just being able to hear stories first hand from people from another country would be a bonus to the school year and what great friends to bring back things specifically for your kids.

My dh is in the Air Force and has brought back souveniers and money from England, Japan and Qatar (middle east). They are in a box somwhere from our last move, but it's so exciting that we have that stuff for when we study those countries and can actually hold the items instead of reading or looking at pictures of them.

You just reminded me to start scouting to see which friends I have that are from or have been to different countries and if they have soveneirs they could show us at the time we study those countries. Our church has sent missionaries to Russia and Mexico, so that will add to the list. Thanks!
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K
RachelT

Unread post by RachelT »

Wow! Cool! Our homeschool association went on a field trip to see the King Tut exhibit at the Children's Museum in Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago and then someone had a friend of theirs come speak to us yesterday and show us her slide show of a trip she took to Egypt! Now my kids are figuring out all of our names in heiroglyphics. Although I think we will study Egypt more next year in CtG, we are enjoying some fun experiences with that culture now, too.

Another friend was saying that she has a local Japanese friend and maybe we could have her come speak next month. I told her that I have a friend traveling to Japan this month who asked if she could bring back some small things for my kids... it is fun to explore our world! Or to hear about the explorations of our friends around the world! :-)

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/
lynut

ECC- A workbook recommendation for 3-6

Unread post by lynut »

Hi. My name is Lyne. I am homeschooling my 2 oldest boys (3rd and 5th) with ECC this year. I been catching up on the archives and this is my first time posting.

I happened to pick up The Complete Book of Maps and Geography at Sam's club right before school started. It is similar in topic to the World Geography workbook, but this is in color and works more on directions(N<E<S<W) and map reading. I think that it is an excellent go along, especially for my 5th grader and the 3rd grade student with a little help.

Lyne
Mom to 3boys and 1girl
using MFW ECC and K
sojen

Re: ECC Planet Earth videos, has anyone done a list?

Unread post by sojen »

hsmom wrote:Seems I might remember that someone had started a list matching Planet Earth DVD episode with ECC weeks. Or is this just my wishful thinking? :)
:-) I just sat down and did this yesterday. Funny you ask!

Week 5-6 Mexico: "Deserts" Disc 2 Episode 2
Week9-11 Brazil: "Jungles" Disc 3 Episode 2
Week 12-13 Norway: "Seasonal Forests" Disc 4 Episode 1
Week 14-15 France: "Caves" Disc 2 Episode 1
Week 16-17 Germany: "Fresh Water" Disc 1 Episode 3
Week 18-20 Kenya: "Great Plains" Disc 3 Episode 1
Week 23-24 India: "Mountains" Disc 1 Episode 2
Week 27-28 Japan: "Ocean Deep" Disc 4 Episode 2
Week 29-30 Russia: "Ice Worlds" Disc 2 Episode 3
Week 31-32 Australia: "Shallow Seas" Disc 3 Episode 3
Week 33-34 Antarctica: "From Pole to Pole" Disc 1 Episode 1

Disc 5 is called "The Future" and I was going to preview/show it for Ecology and Conservation in weeks 21-22.

Hope that helps!
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.
sojen

Unread post by sojen »

my3sons wrote:Is there a lot of evolutionary content?
hsmom wrote:what do you think of the videos? Much Evolution? Do your kids like them?
I've only watched two so far, and I didn't notice anything obvious. I have to admit, though, I'm not to good at picking out underlying tones. I got the idea for these videos on this board, so I know someone else has an opinion.

The only thing you might want to preview, in my opinion, is the mating scenes. There have been a few, but I thought they were okay for my nine year old.

Other than that the videos are incredible. The photography is absolutely gorgeous and it just shows what a creative, awesome God we have. Of course, the British narrator doesn't say that...but we know the truth!
Jen in GA
705emily

Unread post by 705emily »

Just another thanks Sojen for listing those! And another plug for these DVDs. We have watched several of them and the photography is amazing!!! Several do have graphic violence with larger animals going after smaller ones. They really fit well with ECC! :-)

Blessings!
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'
my3sons

ECC Coloring pages (children in traditional dress)

Unread post by my3sons »

http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/childr ... -pages.htm

Looks like they are just starting this, so there is a limited selection. They do have China and India right now though! And Africa and Scotland, too!
Mom to all boys, ages 15, 13, 11, 5 and 1

2014-2015 - ECC
Previously completed K - 1850 to Modern Times
cbollin

Re: ECC Coloring pages (children in traditional dress)

Unread post by cbollin »

that reminds me....

paper doll/traditional dress themes.....

http://www.makingfriends.com/friends/f_multi.htm
meagabby

Cookies around the World

Unread post by meagabby »

My family enjoys making a variety of cookies for the Christmas season. We try new recipes as well as making old favorites.

While searching the website for the cable channel the Food Network for new cookie recipes , I noticed some of the recipes on the four pages included origin. I noticed Greece, Finland, Canada and Sweden.
Cookies around the world - Food Network

I thought of the ECC users(and other cookie bakers) that might have fun making an assortment of cookies from the countries they've studied. It would be fun to try a sweet treat and think of those peoples during our holiday.

-Dena

Posted by meagabby » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:40 pm
Well, I went back to find what I previously found and the opening page has changed, but I did notice a tab/button along the top for Cookies. I just now clicked that and what do you know... 2/3 down on that page is a category for Cookies Around the World.

Hopefully that will steer you in the right direction.
Loving learning with MFW!
Amy C.

Re: Cookies around the World

Unread post by Amy C. »

Hey, thanks for this info. We are doing ECC this year, and I think this would be a great idea for Christmas baking! It would help us remember the places we have studied and a "taste" of what's to come. We could even use them for homemade Christmas goodies/gifts for those special people in our lives (and maybe even include some info on what the kids have learned from each region with the cookies/gifts)! Thanks again for the info!

Amy C.
doubleportion

Re: General Ideas for ECC

Unread post by doubleportion »

Good general book to use all through the year's study.

Children from Australia to Zimbabwe (A Photographic Journey around the World) by Maya Ajmera & Anna Rhesa Versola
Published by Charlesbridge Publishing @ 2001 by Shakti for Children

Includes 2 pages per country.
Countries included are:
Australia Brazil
China Dominican Republic
Ecuador France
Guatemala Hungary
India Japan
Kenya Lithuania
Mexico Nigeria
Oman Philippines
Qatar Russia
Senegal Turkey
United States Vietnam
Western Samoa Yemen
Zimbabwe

Wish I would have found this sooner. We could have included it in the other countries we have already studied. Might use it to recap at the end of the year as well. I marked the pages for the countries from Africa and dd read them in about 10 minutes. Nice info and pictures. Haven't found anything objectionable, but I haven't read through the whole book yet either. Preview to be sure before giving to your dc.
doubleportion

Re: ECC Weeks 21-30

I have copied pages from A Trip Around the World, we cut out the outline of the country and glue it to a page that reminds us to pray for the country of study.

Edie
doubleportion

Re: General Ideas for ECC

Great book for general use in ECC From Akebu to Zapotec by June Hamersmith, From Wycliffe copyright 2002.
Very colorful and beautiful illustrations. Great book. You can use this at the beginning of the year or through out by tying in the countries for each continent. It includes a world map with stars locating the different people groups discussed.

You probably won't be able to find it at the local library but Wycliffe, Amazon, SL and Rainbow Resource all carry it. Wycliffe dot org is carrying another called From Arapesh to Zuni. as well as the Akebu to Zapotec with an audio CD.

Rainbow Resource's write up says-"This is a look at only 26 people groups, out of the 3,000 or so on earth at this time, who do not have the Bible in their own language. Starting with the letter "A," the author has found a different tribe or group of people for each letter of the alphabet and given us a little description of what their culture is like. Each page has a colorful painting depicting the people for that letter."

This would go along great with David Hazel's book about Bible translation God Speaks Numanggang

Happy Travels!
-Edie
705emily

Ideas for adding to ECC notebooks

One thing we do is a "title page" for each country for our binders. I give the kids each a colored sheet of card stock--(They choose the color) and I print off clip art that is easily obtainable and free online. The clip-art all relates to the country. They write the country name in big letters on the page, and glue the clip-art on. The kids also will caption each picture. We found some country stickers that go along with ECC--and we use those sometimes too. They love doing this!

One other thing we have done.... We read a lot of the recommended books for book basket. When things have looked "skimpy" for that country, I have sometimes had my dd (8 yo) write a brief paragraph about one of the books she read. For example, when we did Canada--we read Paddle-to-the-Sea, and she wrote about all of the places Paddle stopped at, and we located them on the map of Canada. Just another idea.....

We also--as Edie mentioned--take pictures of the art projects we have done and include those. We include the Geography packet sheets when we do those.

Blessings!
Irmi Gaut

emmygray

Projects on blog

Unread post by emmygray »

I've really enjoyed reading the posts and getting ideas and having an idea of how projects have gone for people. I don't have anything real specific to add, but I do post our projects on my blog, http://happymolars.blogspot.com/, and thought that it may be helpful for people in the coming years. I've enjoyed reading a few other blogs of families as we travel through the countries together this 09/10 school year. I appreciate My Father's World work in putting together great curricula!

Emily
Emily, homeschooling since 2004
MFW: Adventures, 2008-2009; ECC 2009-2010
ds, 3rd grade, ECC, BJU English3 & Spelling, Singapore math
dd, 1st grade, tags along with ECC, SSRW, Math U See
ds, preschool, SSRW, Singapore Math
ds, toddler, lots of toys :)
RachelT

ECC and the Olympics

Unread post by RachelT »

Hi! Last Friday we watched a good part of the Opening Ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics. My kids are 7 and 9 so they really don't remember watching them a few years ago. We have been working through ECC since August and it was REALLY neat when we watched the parade of athletes and they started identifying the different countries and their flags! The kids were SO excited to see athletes from Brazil, Norway, Mexico, France, Germany, etc. I noticed that they took special interest in the main countries we've studied and they would even say, "hey, they are from South America!" It was fun, but also a nice review of countries we have learned so far. I can see now after a few months of this geography work that they really are gaining a larger picture of the world!

Have fun watching the Olympics!

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/
Julie - Staff

Adding Another Globe

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

KellyinPA wrote:We are starting ECC and I would like to upgrade our globe. I looked around on Amazon and obviously could spend any amount of $$ on one but was hoping to find something on the less expensive side. Just wondered if any of you have purchased a globe for your children that you have been happy with and could recommend?
Postby sarajoy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:37 am
I bought a super cheap globe from Target for about $8.00. I got it during the back to school sales. Sure it's not perfect, but for the price I can't beat it. It definitely works for us.
SJ

Postby 4Truth » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:46 am
I bought a $15 globe at Walmart. Nothing fancy, but it meets all the basic needs. Minus being able to write on it with the wipe-off marker like you can the inflatable globe. ;)

Postby Jami » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:47 am
We have an interactive globe and it is for older kids, ages 8 and up. I have the Leap Frog Odyssey III Globe and my kids enjoy it. This is what it looks like:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=8086910
We've had ours for almost two years and it is a different color but has all the same features and buttons. It was $99 when we bought it but I see that at Walmart.com it is $69 now.

It is not quite as big in diameter as the normal cardboard globe that you'd get from Target for $12 or whatever. The Leap Frog globe is attached to the base at Antarctica so you can't get to it as easily, but that's not a big deal I guess and not any different than other globes.

We enjoy using ours and it has lasted almost two years so far which says a lot for things in my house. :~
momtogc wrote:Is it necessary to purchase a regular globe for ECC or is the inflatable one sufficient for all of our globe needs this year? We had a globe on a stand but it was outdated and wobbly so it's gone now. I didn't really want to purchase another one unless I had to. Thank-you!
Post Posted Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:04 am by KimberlyND
The inflatable one and the world wall map is all we used. Our kids really liked the inflatable globe as it was something they could hold and maneuver easily.

Post Posted Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:42 am by jasntas
If you really wanted a globe on a stand but didn't want to pay a lot of money for one, Target sells a decent one for around $15 about this time of year in the back to school stuff. I think the inflatable one should work fine, though. (We will be starting ECC next month so no real experience yet.) :)

Post Posted Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:59 pm by momtogc
Thank-you for the replies. I think we will save our money and stick with the inflatable one for now. It has a hook at the top so we are thinking about suspending it from the ceiling...dd's idea. :-)

Thanks again!
mfwstudent

just heard this ECC related news story

Unread post by mfwstudent »

Hi. This is crystal's oldest with mom's permission and eyes.

I was just listening to K Love radio and they had a great news story about a people group in PNG who have worked hard to be able to receive their Bible in their language. For the last 15 years they have been preparing a runway to would allow an airplane with Bibles to land.

I'd like to share this news story with other MFW users like me.
http://www.jaars.org/stories/carving-path-gods-word

I really liked how their names have meaning and that is in the article for more information.

Kate B.
mfw student since 2003
currently in 8th grade
Cyndi (AZ)

What fun, educational, items would you recommed for newb

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) »

4in4years wrote:I will be homeschooling next year for the first time. My boys will be 8 and 10. We will be using Exploring Countries and Cultures. My boys will have birthdays before we start homeschooling and I would like to ask the grandparents for some items that would add to our homeschool. What fun, educational, just-dreaming items would you recommend?

4n4
ECC comes with a blow-up globe, but we have really enjoyed using our big globe in the school room. Maybe your boys would like one of those if you don't already have one?

And, of course, zoo memberships if you're close.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL
doubleportion

Re: What fun, educational, items would you recommed for newb

I have drooled at that electronic talking globe using ECC this year, but never got it.

I did find a book of birds from all over the world that was very cool. Our local Books A Million had it for 14.95 but the reg price is 45.00. It is called "Bird Songs From Around The World" by Les Beletsky. It has a computer attached on one side with a speaker and buttons that you use to select a page number that correlates with the book pages. The book is chock full of info on each bird and beautiful illustrations. When you press play it plays the bird song for the bird on that page. Very cool book!

You can view it at amazon and they have it on sale for $17 right now.
Bird Songs From Around the World: Featuring Songs of 200 Birds from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology (Push and Listen), Les Beletsky (Author)

If you are looking for other fun books. We love the series by Mike Venezia "Getting to Know the World's Composers". Would go well with you country studies. We did composers from those countries as we studied them.

I've also heard Ron Snell's series "Life is a Jungle- RaniAdventures" is good and would go well with ECC.

A Parcheesi Game or Mangala Game or Chinese Checkers. All would go with your country studies.

Stockmar Modeling Wax

Just some thoughts. Hope they are helpful.

Edie
sojen

Unread post by sojen »

When I first started homeschooling I loved having a easel type dry erase board. I could put it away when I didn't need it, but we mostly had it out because we used it for all sorts of stuff.

I would also get your kids some good colored pencils. They should each have their own. I'm shocked at how many packs of colored pencils we've gone through in three years of homeschooling.

And with that, if someone was going to get me a homeschooling "treat" I would ask for a good pencil sharpener. I'm going to get myself one this summer. Many school days were messed up in our house because of a pencil sharpener situation :~

Another fun item we've used a lot with homeschooling are family passes to various museums and zoos. They are a great deal if one is close to your house. Also, many places are starting to offer homeschool programs for visitors. My kids have taken homeschool science classes at the zoo, botanical gardens and science center. It was always cheaper for members.

Enjoy your first year, and don't get overwhelmed. There is so much out there! But if you just focus on time with your kids you'll do great. ;)
Jen in GA
doubleportion

Oh! We have used the book and CD - Geography Songs by Larry & Kathy Troxel. We have used it allot with every continent and there is a great song for the continents and another for the oceans. We just tacked on "don't forget the Southern"! My 3 yr old ds loved doing that part and could tell you all the continents and oceans thanks to those songs. Of course he didn't pronounce everything correctly, but he is three. ;)

Edie
705emily

A couple things we enjoyed in ECC:

Building a 3D puzzle of the Eiffel Tower (France)(these were at our local Barnes & Noble bookstore) There was also one of the Taj Mahal--if you feel VERY adventurous :)
I found 2 sets of Matryoshka Dolls (unpainted--online--(Russia) My dd painted the dolls and I got a set of unpainted penguins that my 7 yo ds did. They both LOVED that project!
Chinese mandala sand art kit. This was at a local art supply store. It came complete with colored sand, and beautiful designs. You peeled off a section at a time, covered that section with colored sand, and then went to the next section. A lot of fun!

One other thing--we loved the DVD collection "Planet Earth". This series goes along very well with the Biomes studied in ECC. The photography is amazing!

Just a couple of ideas.. .

Blessings!
Last edited by 705emily on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irmi Gaut

s_duguid

new ECC questions

Unread post by s_duguid »

club190 wrote:Are my kids outside of the range to benefit from reading the "One Small Square" books? If so, what do you recommend for habitats? Have any of you watched the BBC "Planet Earth" DVD series? What do you think?
Our family loved the "Planet Earth" series. We did get the BBC version with the voice of "Pooh Bear" as narrator. :) There is a USA version with "a famous actress" narrating - won't share her name here. The photography is stunning. The DVDs were an extra for us that we would watch on the weekends. There is a past post with suggested titles per week which I printed out at the time http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... rth#p27200. A couple a things to watch out for: 1) There is evolutionary content, such as millions of years ago, and 2) there is some predator/prey scenes which upset my dd a little, but my teenage boys loved it. %|

"One Small Square" books: There are a few titles listed in the book basket per habitat. These are excellent books although the full content was little bit much for my dd last year. She liked looking at the pics and browse some of the info. A few I read to her. They were some of my favorite books for science book basket.

One thing we did add that tied habitats into art and language arts was the "Draw, Write, Now" series. They have a wonderful set of books that teach children how to draw animals by their habitats and has interesting facts and information to do further research if you desire.
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV