General Ideas for ECC

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
cbollin

ECC Neat ideas for prayer group.etc

Unread post by cbollin » Sun May 02, 2010 8:20 pm

fdjoyce wrote:Wondering if anyone had any neat ideas to help you remember the people group from WOW that you are praying for on a particular week. I was planning to hang the memory verse, the John 3:16 sheet we are currently studying, & hopefully something to remind us of the people group from WOW. Am looking for ideas of what others have done?
I left the Window on the World book open on the kitchen table. Our kitchen table was big enough I could do this. We have 6 chairs and only 5 people...

it was easy to think about it at supper and pray again.

-crystal

doubleportion

Re: ECC Neat ideas for prayer group.etc

Unread post by doubleportion » Sun May 02, 2010 9:13 pm

I typed up a sheet that said something along the lines of "Lord, send Your Word to the people of________________ in their own language. Jesus, help the believers in __________________ to be strong in their faith in You.
Lord, give these believers boldness to share about Jesus. Lord, show us how we can be a part of getting Your word into more languages."

Of course we prayed specifically when we read WOW but these were up on the wall and we changed them out and dd filled in the name of the country as we went along.

You might type up something more specific as you read WOW each time and then change them out as you come to a new people group.

I was trying to keep it simple since I was only doing it with a 3rd grader. We will do ECC again w/ her in 8th and I'm sure go a whole lot deeper then.

BTW we hung the flag of each country (except Saudi), John 3:16 in each language on our wall. And by the end of ECC our wall was really beautiful to me (looking at John 3:16 in so many languages was pretty cool). I have pics of it at my blog.

Above my dd's desk we would put her memory verse, the prayer reminder mentioned above and then a few other things for her to remember. Of course it all depends on how much space you have available. I am blessed with an extra room that we use as a school room. We didn't have that until just about a year ago. So I would have done something different in our older much smaller house if we were doing ECC then.

HTH

Edie

Julie in MN

Re: ECC Neat ideas for prayer group.etc

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon May 03, 2010 8:36 am

For a couple of years, we had a prayer journal. Franklin Graham's booth at convention (Samaritan's Purse) was giving one out called "Kids Praying For Kids." We added our WOW country and other things to pray for on the monthly prayer list. They also had a monthly prayer focus, so sometimes we'd add that country, too. (Each year, they had a different journal with different countries highlighted.) Plus there was a place to list things to be thankful for.

I peeked around on the internet, and it looks like you have to pay for these now. But you could make a simple prayer journal of your own.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

doubleportion

ECC book ideas

Unread post by doubleportion » Tue May 04, 2010 6:46 pm

I saw these books at Sam's the other day and thought how perfectly they would go with ECC. They were about 10.27 each.
Field Guide to Ocean Animals, Field Guide to Safari Animals, & Field Guide to Rain Forest Animals (amazon has this one for 6.22).

I just skimmed through the Ocean Animals one. But I didn't read through it fully, so check to be sure it will fit your family's qualifications before getting them. But they looked like nice books.

Edie

705emily

ECC add on question

Unread post by 705emily » Sat May 08, 2010 1:04 pm

jasntas wrote:Has anyone used any of the DVD's in the Torchlighter series for ECC? Which one or ones if any were the best? Thanks again. :-)
Julie in MN wrote:I noticed one little reference to them that seems to be positive:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 294#p45294
(The earlier post she is referencing was just mentioning the videos without having ever watched them, but the post I linked looks like it's from a person who actually watched & enjoyed them?)
Julie
We used the Torchlighter DVD's in our ECC year. We watched the Gladys Aylward one, and the Jim Elliot One. The kids enjoyed them both a lot. They have some interesting "bonus" features on them. One of those was an interview with Nate Saint's son. I also enjoyed the bonus feature on the Gladys Aylward DVD which gave an overview of her life, and ministry.

Blessings!
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

mamatormsl

ECC Display

Unread post by mamatormsl » Thu May 13, 2010 1:06 pm

Here are some pictures of our homeschool display day. My 4th grader did the geography portion of ECC and my 2nd grader did the science portion. This was our first year with MFW and it's by far been our best year. Thanks MFW!
P1010707.JPG
P1010707.JPG (76.46 KiB) Viewed 10890 times
4th grader wearing a wrap skirt and vest I got in Zimbabwe
P1010706.JPG
P1010706.JPG (76.46 KiB) Viewed 10890 times
Mindy
Mom to to 4 great kids (3 girls, 1 boy)
2010/2011 - CtG
2009/2010 -ECC

mgardenh

Cool websites for ECC

Unread post by mgardenh » Mon May 24, 2010 4:38 pm

These have probably been shared before but in case they haven't.

You can listen to the national anthem of almost every country at http://www.nationalanthems.info (you can also get the lyrics and music sheets) You can get more info on flags at crwflags.com/fotw/flags

You can go to http://www.worldtimeserver.com to see what time it is right now and compare to the time you have where you live.

You can go to http://www.xe.com/ucc to find out how much money your US dollars will exchange for the country you are studying (doesn't have every country but a lot of them).
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

club190

Cool source texts for compositions in ECC

Unread post by club190 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:29 pm

I found a great series of books -- the How Did It Get Here series. I bought a few of them, Biography of Bananas, Biography of Coffee, Biography of Wheat, etc. They're nicely done, the pages are glossy, color photos throughout, the text isn't babyish or boring, yet it's still easy to read.

Instead of Writing Strands, we do IEW for composition and this year I'm planning to do it the way it was originally pitched, using only source texts from our curricular choices for our lessons spanning the 9 units. I reread the Webster book a while back and am going to try his integration method this term, and especially use his ideas for writings on various commodities for units 4 & 6. These will provide source texts. You could consider each two page spread to be a "chapter" much like IEW's Minibook series and have the student practice fused outlining that way.

Blessings,
Chris
Wife to Jim since '91
Mom to:
Matthew, 18, Ursinus College student
Andrew, 14, ECC 7/8 + a few extras to make it "official" for high school credit
Daniel, 5, wanting to "do school" but still not really ready

NCJessieRN

Ecc and Missionary Videos

Unread post by NCJessieRN » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:02 am

I receive The Voice of the Martyrs magazine and this month there was a supplement with resources available for purchase.

I just wanted to let you know there are a series of cartoon DVDs (The Tortchlighters Heros of the Faith) that come with the stories of Jim Elliot, John Bunyan, William Tyndale, Eric Liddel, Gladys Aylward, and Perpetua. I have not purchased or previewed these videos so I can not speak to the quality but I just wanted to let those of you who may be interested know about them.
Jessica Noy
Moses 4
Hosanna 1
Shepherd 4/2013

Kelly1730

Re: Ecc and Missionary Videos

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:15 am

Our church library has several of these videos and my boys have enjoyed each one.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

Mommie25

Craft Ideas:)

Unread post by Mommie25 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:59 am

We are planning to start ECC in Jan and are SO SO SO excited about it!!:) And I am beginning to plan now for our year and was on the Oriental Trading website and found some cute crafts to go along with some of the countries and wanted to share!!:)

Australia:http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/searc ... &x=26&y=26

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/searc ... artial&N=0

JAPAN:

CHINA:

USA:

AFRICA:

MEXICO:
http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/brows ... 21+Maracas
Amanda
( Morgan 10, Maddie 6, Mason 3 and Micah 11 months)
www.facebook.com/look4hiddentreasures

SusanH

Good resource for ECC

Unread post by SusanH » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:03 am

Rainbow Resource has paper doll stickers - many from the ECC countries.

jasntas

Re: Good resource for ECC

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:53 pm

These look great. Thanks for the idea. I am assuming they are all girls, though. I wish they had boys, too.

I have already been printing and cutting out the paper dolls (boys and girls) from the makingfriends dot com web site but it would be great to have stickers rather than mom having to do all the work. :~

I did purchase Brides from Around the World Paper Dolls book for my dd because she likes paper dolls. But I have a couple of problems with it already.
1) I have to cut them all out. They are not even punch outs. The clothes are beautiful though.
2) I am concerned with how the dolls are dressed in their underclothes. They are a bit skimpy and frilly and I have a 9 y.o. boy that would want to be a part of the dressing, too. Not to mention the image of a perfect body that might be conveyed to my dd as well.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Mommie25

Our Flat Adventure!!

Unread post by Mommie25 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:30 pm

[Our letter to family and friends:]
Me and the kiddos need your help! We are going to be studying different countries this year with ECC and since we can't physically go to all these places, we decided to embark on the Flat Adventure! http://www.flatadventure.com/ Our first country is America, so all you mommas( homeschool or not) that would like to participate,... please let me know so I can get you all the details!!:)

Here is the kiddos with their Flat version of themselves!!:) Please help send our 'Flat Kids" all over America!! hehe;)
Amanda
( Morgan 10, Maddie 6, Mason 3 and Micah 11 months)
www.facebook.com/look4hiddentreasures

Julie in MN

Re: Our Flat Adventure!!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:53 am

Most of my kids did this in public school. It was fun and extended family really liked getting involved with the kids. Some got quite creative about where they took photos of Flat Stanley, and took photos of Stanley all over town!

I think my youngest would have done it in 8th but he'll be so busy in 9th :-)
Julie

love3es

Re: Our Flat Adventure!!

Unread post by love3es » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:15 pm

One really cool thing we did last year was to send a flat traveler along with the Cabella's reporter covering the Iditarod in Alaska. We got a whole CD of pics plus all kinds of autographs in addition to the journal the reporter kept for our flat! I just found his name on the Iditarod site and emailed him. I guess it never hurts to ask!

Kelly
Kelly

DS10: ECC 2011-2012
DS8: ECC 2011-2012
DS6: K/1st Grade 2011-2012

Poohbee

Great 1st Day of ECC and K (again)!

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:18 pm

It was so good to get back to school again after our summer break! Truthfully, we had a very light day with not much done academically, but we took our first-day-of-school pictures, read quite a few great "back-to-school" and creation books together, dd9 did some Quarter Mile math, dd5 learned to hold her pencil correctly (using a special pencil gripper), and we visited a travel agency as a special field trip to help us get excited for ECC. Oh yeah...we filled out our passport applications (which we just did for real a couple of weeks ago) and took our countries pretest. Dd9 had about 13 countries correct and I had about 32. Can't wait to see how many we know at the end of the school year. Ds1 took a nice 2-hour nap this morning, so that really helped us make good progress with our day. All in all, my dds had a great first day of school. Tomorrow we'll start in on some of the subjects...ILL, Singapore Math, and a few others and we'll begin Day 1 of the K Creation Unit. Friday, we'll do the actual Day 1 material for ECC (we're taking a few days to start in on everything slowly) and continue with the K Creation unit. It's wonderful to be back in "My Father's World!" Just wanted to share. :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Julie in MN

Re: General Ideas for ECC - our 2nd time through

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:40 pm

(1) Date stamper was fun
I got an inexpensive date stamper & stamp pad for a more "official" passport. Of course, this wasn't used a lot, but it was inexpensive & kinda fun.

(2) Sticker book even for 8th grader
For my 8th grader, the sticker book turned out to be more educational than I expected. I remember one week, ds said, "Mom, do you know how many circle flags there are in the world!" I know MFW had to change sticker book versions several times as a book was reprinted, but ours wasn't just a plunk-it-down type of sticker activity, since the stickers weren't alphabetical or by region. He had to really observe all the flags.

(3) Current events - Top Story (World News Teen)
My 8th grader seemed to take a step up in reading the current events. Previously, I had wanted to go over the various points of view with him, but this year he seemed able to see these on his own.

(4) Current events - New York Times
I then had the bright idea of introducing him to current events in a less "sheltered" format, so on a whim I picked up an issue of the New York Times at the grocery store. I showed him how the news was divided into International, National, and New York (local). We talked about some of the headlines and he read the international news. The result? While I was glad to introduce him to this once, I did not want to use that resource more than that in 8th grade. He was kind of overwhelmed by all the violence and politics and such. We finally chose one of the tiny news blurbs for his current events page -- "Dalai Lama Tweets" :) Apparently the Dalai held a twitter conversation about Tibet on 5/21/10, and we got a kick out of that.

(5) Book basket extras:

(a) DVD - Mission: God at Work, Faith In Action,
hosted by Steve Saint and Dianne Becker
This DVD is a set of episodes recorded from a previous Christian TV series. There are missions for most continents. (There are 24 segments, but some of those are combined into one episode.) There are good ones about the Saint family and other Ecuador missionaries, which could add to the Nate Saint story in ECC, as well as other very moving projects.
Note that one of the South American stories (Brazil) has content more suitable for older kids, but it was very moving for my 14 year old to see these modern-day gals dedicating their lives to saving young people from life on the street.
(And I have to mention that this video is far more engaging than the more well-known one I used with my older dd, called Unreached People Groups.)

I liked this so much that I'll list the episodes by continent, in case someone else is able to use this:
N. & Central America: episodes 4, 12, 14, 15, 23
S. America: 2, 3, 18, 19 (mature topic)
Africa: 5, 9, 11, 22
Asia: 8, 16, 17, 20, 24(Muslim)
Australia: 1
General: 6/7 (or watch with #5), 10, 13 (or S. America), 21

(b) Textbook - Geography, Realms Regions and Concepts, 8th ed.
by Blij & Muller
For some extra reading for mom & lots of maps to show ds, I wanted to find a geography "textbook." I just looked through the ones available at my favorite used bookstores & chose this one. I didn't read all of it, but it was acceptable to me (didn't focus on evolution, wasn't afraid to show problems in other cultures besides the USA, didn't show lots of nudity). We enjoyed looking over some really interesting maps and details.

(c) Book series - Travel Through ...
Published by Teacher Created Resources, 2004
This series is similar to other series listed for ECC book basket, such as Count Your Way Through ... and A Ticket To ...
We really like this sort of series, with good details but not overwhelming. The Travel Through series is slightly too busy for my taste but we felt it adds some more modern info such as popular foods or current modes of transportation, but also includes long-standing info such as interesting geography.
They are listed for grades 3-12, but inside says ages 7-11. Each has 32 pages, and many ECC countries are included. Here are the options:
Travel Through: America
Travel Through: Australia
Travel Through: Brazil
Travel Through: France
Travel Through: India
Travel Through: Japan
Travel Through: Russia

(6) Interesting links -
If you want to change up the country report questions once in a while, I think there are interesting questions (about the weather, money, etc) that could be used:
- Current Weather, Relative Humidity, Wind
- Sunrise, Sunset
- What is the money conversion from your country's to the US dollar?
- Total area, Land area, Water area
- What are the bordering countries?
- Elevation Extremes. What is the highest elevation point? What is the lowest point?
- Name a National Holiday that isn't celebrated in the USA or is not celebrated at the same date.

From a linked worksheet that's no longer functioning, which also had resource links for answering those questions:
http://its.guilford.k12.nc.us/webquests/samer/samer.htm
(see "click here and print out the worksheet" and answers can be found in the links when you click on "resources")

sixtimemom

Fun idea for ECC

Unread post by sixtimemom » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Here is a fun idea for those of you in ECC, or like us who have already done ECC

I came across a website called Postcrossing.......where you “send a postcard and receive a postcard back from a random person somewhere in the world!” Here is the site for you to check it out http://www.postcrossing.com/about

They do have a page that talks about postcrossing as a school project with second graders. I've been reading the responses of others who use this and have seen that many teachers have used this as a teaching tool.

This is intended for people of all ages so a concern about safe guards. Here is something they post about children under the age of 13:
"Users under the age of 13 are allowed to use Postcrossing only under the supervision of an adult and due consent of a parent or legal guardian. We believe children can learn a great deal with Postcrossing, but like with any other website, their online habits should be monitored closely by an adult."

This is something I am thinking of doing myself...and letting the children see the postcards after I preview them first.

Blessings,
Debbie
Debbie
Mom to 6
Grandma to 1
Homeschooler for 17 years and this is my 2nd year to use MFW
ECC and AHL 2009/2010
1850 -Exploration, AHL & WHL 2010-2011

jasntas

Norway - Snow Treasure the book

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:20 pm

We try to do a family movie/game night on Fridays. I like for the movies to be along the same lines as our studies since it's one way for dh to be involved in our studies but it doesn't always have to be.

We still haven't watched Heidi yet but we did watch Hans Brinker or The Silver Skates. We all enjoyed this movie even though it was made about 40+ years ago. Even my 6 y.o. enjoyed it. My dh and I liked that this one had some history of Holland woven throughout the fictional story line.

I also highly recommend the videos in the Torchlighter series. We watched The Jim Elliot Story after reading Nate Saint. And last week we watched The Richard Wurmbrand Story. They are both pretty heavy stories but what an impact. My dc both enjoyed them and my dh and I enjoyed watching the extras at the end of each story.

YWAM recently came out with another in the Torchlighter series. It's The Amy Carmichael Story which I just got today to go with our study of India.

:)

annaz

Holy Moly! ECC and stamps!

Unread post by annaz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:36 am

This is so wierd, but oh so cool! Our office lady who is a friend had been given a bunch of stamps from a stamp collector. She didn't want them. Our office person didn't want them either. So in walks DH with >> >> >> 2 full paper grocery bags !! of stamps from all over!

Could it have come at a better time? We started ECC 4 days ago! Happy dance!

We went through half of one bag last night and it took 2 hours! It's quite interesting!

dhudson

Christmas Aroiund the World - ECC

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Hope all of you had a great Christmas!

Since we are doing ECC tis year, I wanted to have a Christmas Unit Study to go along with what we are learning in ECC. I know this is too late for this year and REALLY early for next year but I wanted to share because I'll forget next year.

We did all of this with another family and we planned a craft and a cookie or food from a different country and did about 8 countries.

I used "Christmas Crafts Around the World" for craft ideas, "Christmas Around the World" for background and "Celebrate Christmas Around the World" as the spine. I also used the "Christmas in My Heart" series of books for stories/read aloud. We got books from the library about Christmas in different cultures to fill our Book Basket. We also used "Family Celebrations" by Hibbard for Bible.

There were stories of "Santa" but it was great to talk about the folk stories and legends that each culture celebrates. It allowed us to have some great talks and worked really well for those Christmas vacation days for an hour or two of fun" We finished by having a "La Posada" celebration which gave us a chance to talk to our neighbors about the reason for the season as well as having some great Mexican food.

It's funny how I now plan our fun activities in the same manner as MFW. MFW has trained me well in a plan that works. :-)

Happy New Year to all!
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Poohbee

Re: Christmas Aroiund the World - ECC

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi Dawn!
We must have had the same idea, because we spent 2 weeks in December doing our own Christmas Around the World Unit, as well. It fit so well with our MFW ECC study.

We just checked out books from the library about Christmas in various countries, and we found some great books that had crafts for the countries. So, each day for two weeks, we focused on a different country, reading about how they celebrate Christmas, and we did a special craft for that country. We kept up with math and reading along with our country/craft study each day but took a break from other subjects. My dds enjoyed it immensely, as did I. Since MFW provides 2 optional weeks to study another country of choice, it worked really well to fill those two weeks with Christmas Around the World.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

momtogc

Online Geography Game

Unread post by momtogc » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:06 am

This game is hard, but I was pleasantly surprised at how many countries and even city names that I knew, as a result of ECC of course. : )
http://budgethomeschool.com/geography/?6c96=cc45

There are 12 levels, getting progressively harder as you go. You have to earn enough points to move up to the next level. I've not made it past level 8, which is why I am up so late!
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

jasntas

I Can Read Series Called Made By God

Unread post by jasntas » Fri May 27, 2011 7:18 pm

I just discovered a series that's new, at least to me, that I thought I would pass on to anyone interested. It's so difficult to find non-fiction books about animals without an evolutionary tone so when I came across this series I was so excited. It’s the ZonderKids I Can Read! series level 2 books called Made By God. Some of the books in the series include the following titles:

Cats, Dogs, Hamsters and Horses
Spiders, Snakes, Bees and Bats
Big Bugs, Little Bugs
Barnyard Critters

And some of the titles I think would go well as book basket books for ECC are:

Rainforest Friends
Sea Creatures
Polar Pals
Curious Creatures Down Under
Forest Friends

I also found a lap and notebook series available through currclick.com that I think would go well with ECC. It’s called Discovering the Continents: Animals of … It’s pretty reasonably priced. It’s also available in a bundle package at a discounted price.

For Ecc this year I researched and put together my own lapbooks, for the most part. This series looks like it may have made my life a lot easier. I’m making a note in my TM for the next time around.