Weeks 35-36: Ideas for adding an extra country to ECC

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Weeks 35-36: Ideas for adding an extra country to ECC

Unread post by Marie » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:46 am

Ideas for adding an extra country to ECC, and a few thoughts on choosing not to add.

More thoughts on why no additions may be needed:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8019

Julie in MN

Adding a country

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:38 pm

2Bgracious wrote:This will be our first year with MFW and ECC (the logical place to start).

I would like to add Finland to our study of Norway. Have any of you done this or have any recommended resources?
It isn't hard to add a country to ECC. You will already find Finland included in the songs, the geography game, and generally in the Europe packet. It may well be in the library books, the craft book, & the Atlas readings as well, you'd have to check.

Some extra countries even have units in A Trip or Another Trip Around the World. If not, you can add a flag from places like EnchantedLearning or ColoringCastle (or make your own, the Finland one won't be hard!). Any info you don't find on your country, you can check at the CIA Factbook online, or in an encyclopedia, or get more books at the library.

The back of the ECC manual even has blank pages for recording your plans for two extra weeks.

Have fun in MFW!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

2Bgracious

Re: Adding a country

Unread post by 2Bgracious » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:16 am

Okay, thanks. I'm already somewhat familiar with Finland as my grandmother came from there. Unfortunately, very little was passed on culturally. What I have found online, doesn't put the Finns in the best of light based upon our Christian beliefs.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:31 am

That is an excellent reason to add Finland to your family's studies this year!

You know, in ECC, we didn't really evaluate the countries, in terms of their historical atrocities & such. Unless we were praying for them in Windows on the World, where you get a very gentle background on why you should pray for them & how their lives would be better if they understood that God loves them!

In ECC, it is really just an introduction to each country -- where is it, what are its symbols, what is unique about their culture or climate or architecture or whatever. Of course, sometimes things come up in conversation or in a book or whatever, and a deeper discussion or further research ensues. But the fun part is that your year really focuses on the geography and culture first, before you get into explaining the rest :o)

I am sure when we start the history rotation this year, we will begin studying some of the ways that various countries "went wrong." But all in the context of God's love for the world and desire to bring salvation to each one!

Julie
P.S. I suppose I should have posted this on the general board!

2Bgracious

Unread post by 2Bgracious » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:10 am

I'm glad you posted it here. What I've found are basically what their culture is like today. But only I guess what is common. I wish I could find out more. I found an online aquaintance though whose wife if from Finland and they visit regularly...so maybe she will help me out.

I do know a few things from a european tour a news station did one year. Hear's what I have chalked up so far for this section.
  • 2 songs (one from the Wee Sing and another that is a political satire of America sung by Norwegians and Finns...was written by a Nor and passed onto me by my Finn grandmother) The Circle Goes Around and Oleana.
  • Boot throwing contest (I think they're too young and we too old for the wife carrying race!) The history is when a couple argued, if the wife had it she would take off her boot and throw it...signaling an end to the arguement for the time being.
  • Pictures of Finns....(Funny...all my children have brown hair except one. She looks like the pictures of Finnish children! PALE!)
Any other ideas anyone comes up with (recipes, etc) let me know!

2Bgracious

An Interesting Historical Note...Norway

Unread post by 2Bgracious » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:00 am

Here is an email I received when contacting an organization about a song my great grandmother, who came from Finland, used to sing to me (the song is from Norway):

My name is *** and I am a cultural consultant here at Sons of Norway. *** forwarded me your question about the song Oleana. The verse you quoted is reminiscent of a well-known Norwegian song from the 19th century, satirizing the inflated promises of emigrating to America. The story behind the song is an interesting one. In 1852 Ole Bull, a Norwegian violin virtuoso who was quite famous at the time, bought 120,000 acres of land in Pennsylvania and founded a colony called New Norway and a town there called Oleana. At the time, social unrest was building in Norway against the upper classes, and people were beginning to vote with their feet against the system by leaving for America. For those who remained behind, the emigration was a major issue of public debate, and arguments about the perils and rewards of this new land were taken up in streets, newspapers and pulpits all across the country. Bull's land deal was a way of thumbing his nose at the ruling class, as well as increasing his own considerable popularity. Unfortunately, the deal went bad and the colony was abandoned after only five years. Oleana became a target of derision for anti-emigration forces, but a clarion call for immigrants to renew their efforts: Ditmar Meidell's song Oleana became a favorite of both camps.

To read more, check out this article by Theodore Blegen (including complete lyrics) here:
http://www.stolaf.edu/naha/pubs/nas/vol ... ol14_5.htm
(it is hysterical the lyrics they wrote about the "streets of gold" here in America!).

I also found a sample of a modern, country western rendition of the song (in Norwegian) which can be heard here: http://www.mic.musikkonline.no/shop/dis ... p?id=27762
(scroll down to "I OLEANA - HELGE BORGLUND & RITA ENGEBRETSEN" and hit the play button - you'll need Windows MediaPlayer or something like it to hear the sample).

So, the question then becomes, why did your Finnish grandmother know this Norwegian song? Given the popularity of the song and the urgency of the issues it addresses, I can imagine that it could have migrated to Finland. The political situation in Finland in the late 19th and early 20th centuries might have lent new meaning to the song and inspired the change to "that's where I want to be, way down in Norway, to break the chains of slavery" - or it might be a simple misappropriation, or even just a joke (Norwegians traditionally regarded the Finns with some suspicion).

Julie - Staff

Adding in a country - IRAQ

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:07 pm

Posted Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:39 pm by susie
I am working on adding Iraq to our studies.
  • I have requested a bunch of books from our library, though I have not yet looked at them. When I get them, I will try to let y'all know which ones I thought were worthwhile.
  • In the meantime, I am trying to figure out if we just want to continue deserts for our science, or do something different.
  • The Window on the World book has a section on Iraq as well.
  • I also thought we would spend some time talking about current events and looking up information in the local newspaper.
  • Maybe we will make a collage on the information the girls find on Iraq.. Hmmm.
If anyone has any great suggestions for ways to flesh out the unit study, I would be most grateful. I think that I will focus on sacrifice from the Bible during the time frame that we study this country, as well.

Susie
momma to four girls

Posted Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:17 am by Janie
Hi Susie,
My husband served in Iraq with his National Guard unit. We too added Iraq to our ECC year. Some of the soldiers he was with took a tour of the ruins of Babylon. We used the video from the tour and studied the stories of Isreal in captivity in Babylon and, of course, you cannot study Babylon without studying Daniel.

Have a great day in My Father's World.

Posted Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:34 am by Lucy
I was reading through these post today and think it is great to see all the great ideas. We did ECC 4 years ago and this board did not exist then. What a great resource.

I just wanted to make a comment because this did come up in another post on the board. When we studied ECC we did look at Iraq and pray for that country because of all that was happening there. The question that has also come up is why is Isreal not in ECC. Why don't we study these important countries?

There is a post in the archives about this but the short answer is: when you study CTG the following year you study the history of Israel and this area very in-depth. So there is certainly nothing wrong with studying them in ECC too but if you do not, that it is o.k. too because it will be studied in-depth later.

Blessings to you all,
Lucy

Julie - Staff

Adding countries where we know missionaries

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:13 pm

CindyLou wrote:We have missionary friends in areas throughout the Caribbean, Central & South America and South Pacific. I think our family would benefit learning more about these particular countries & cultures, praying for and writing to our missionaries.

Just wondering if I could add countries in myself.
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:11 am by cbollin
Outside of the regular geography lesson, ECC uses a book called Window on the World and some of the countries you mentioned are listed in that book. You’d be studying these countries and/or people groups in the context of missions and Bible.

When we did ECC all those many years ago, I found it easy to add in a special country or people group on “light and independent Fridays.” We took the time to pray for and remember missionaries that we knew in those same areas of the world. Although I didn’t do it this way, you could do the letter writing activity that is scheduled on Fridays to write to your friends.

Here are just a couple of things I did to add in a bit of informal study. I arranged for a “guest lecture” from a friend in town who used to work with Wycliffe and lived on an island in the South Pacific. In our Keepers at Home co-op, the girls learned about two missionaries (one in China and the other in the Philippines). When one of them was in town to visit ---the group held a special meeting in the summer to meet them.

Hope some of that helps.
--Crystal

Julie in MN

The "trip around the world" books include extra units

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:45 am

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:36 am
To continue Crystal's thoughts, not only Window on the World, but also the missionary read-alouds often visit extra countries, such as Cameron Townsend in Guatemala. Nate Saint in Ecuador.

You see, when ECC spends 2 weeks in Mexico & 3 weeks in Brazil, it is really spending those 5 weeks studying all of the Central & South American countries -- in the atlases, the maps, the board game, and other resources.

Several of us decided to go into a bit more depth on countries of special interest to our families. It was easy to just follow the pattern in ECC and plug them into the correct continent.

The "trip around the world" books include extra units, including flags & activities for Argentina, Panama, and Venezuela, all ready for you if you need them.

Julie

Lucy

Weeks 35 and 36 are optional and can be added anywhere in th

Unread post by Lucy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:58 pm

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:01 am
If you want to add a country or 2, there are two extra weeks in the back of the TM - weeks 35 and 36 that are optional. You could of course add these weeks anywhere in the year. You would not have to wait until the end.

I feel like we are all sitting around a table this morning talking and drinking our coffee and tea.
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Tina

Adding more depth to countries already studied

Unread post by Tina » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:06 pm

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:26 am
We made out South America/Central America study very rich by reading both the recommended family readings (Cameron Townsend and Nate Saint) and also adding Jim Elliot to that list. We also got the documentary "Beyond the Gates of Splendor" and watched that.

Out of the whole year of studying missions with ECC, this section of the world was our favorite. We were so inspired and touched by the stories of these missionaries and the diversity of people in this area of the world. These were reads that none of us will ever forget. I actually went on in my own "studying" and read some of Betty Elliot's books, including the life and testimony of Jim.

May the Lord truly bless your family as you study ECC.

Julie in MN

A unit on Pacific Islands?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:05 pm

qfbrenda wrote:I bought a bunch of books to go along with ECC for next year. I figured out where all the books fit. I was left with several books that relate to the Pacific Islands. So I thought I would plan a week to study them! I was thinking of Hawaii, Fiji, Samoa... not sure about others.

I thought we would study volcanoes and island formation.... not sure what else. Global Art did have several ideas. Our read-aloud would be The Island of the Blue Dolphins.

Any ideas for what else we could do that week?
Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:06 pm
I would place the week at the nearest continent. I think the islands of "Oceania" are already included in the Australia study, covering a lot of the Pacific islands, so you could just extend that an extra week.

I would just follow the pattern of the other studies. Make a flag for one of the islands using one of the online sites such as http://flagspot.net/flags/cbk.html or Wikipedia or the CIA Factbook. Use library books from the closest continent to find a food to cook or a fruit indiginous to that area. As you mentioned, the ECC art book probably has an art project that would apply.

For your other subjects that week, you could see if you have skipped any science projects, copywork, or other misc. things earlier in the year & play catch-up.

Julie

lyntley

Adding countries that are especially unique & available even

Unread post by lyntley » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:07 pm

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:32 pm
We touched a little on Belize, Guatamala and Morocco since they are quite a bit different from those countries studied in each continent.

We are also doing a little on Lebanon now while doing Saudi Arabia. I have a good friend (HSer)that is Lebanese. She moved To the US as an adult so she has lots of stories. Last night she cooked a special Lebanese meal for us. She will be teaching the kiddies how to write their names in Arabic etc.

We are planning on learning a little more about the South Pacific islands after Japan since we have tickets to see a dinner show with dancing, flame throwers etc. The possibilities are immense! :-) You can check your area to see if there are any types of cultural events and tie them in where they fit.

TurnOurHearts

Added places I'd been to personally - with photos

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:08 pm

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:27 pm
When we were in Europe, I added a few countries to the geography game ~ places I'd been to personally. Poor kids...had to sit through looking at all my Europe photos from 1990 and listen to me go on and on and on about Austria! Somehow, they recovered. ;)

cbollin

If you added a country to ECC...

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Mommy22alyns wrote:What country did you add? What did you do for science in those weeks?
The first time we did a bit more on Scotland... ancestry reasons.
and we didnt' worry about science. played outside and went to children's museum. and probably watched the stars or something...

2nd time...
I don't think we did... unless we did the Israel pages in Another trip..

options if you need science... review something from Prop of Eco. visit a zoo. don't worry that it doesn't match the bonus country/people group.
or... cooking is science.... prepare food
for 1 week extra...

hope to hear other ideas

-crystal

Buttercup78

Re: If you added a country to ECC...

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:56 pm

I want to add Israel because I think it will be a good ending with moving on to CTG (We school year-round, so the summer break won't be very long in between). Not sure if we'll have time for it, but if we do, I think for science I would just do things along the same lines as the other countries - notebook pages on plants/flower, animals, etc. that live there. Honestly we still have our magnet kit from Adventures that we never used, so I could just do that too.
cbollin wrote:from the been there... keep it to modern Israel since you'll study a lot of ancient in CTG. 1 week is probably plenty ? :)
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

BHelf

Re: If you added a country to ECC...

Unread post by BHelf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:20 pm

We "added" Latvia. We didn't really do school with it though, other than looking at it on a map and globe. We went there on a family mission trip for 2 weeks and considered that learning about it enough to consider it school. :)

Brooke
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

Julie in MN

Ideas for adding an extra country to ECC

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:31 am

jayleepraise wrote:We will be doing ECC this coming school year. We will be hosting a foreign exchange English student from a Catholic high school in Spain next month, so I am considering having my 2nd and 3rd graders do a country report on Spain in late August, before we actually begin the curriculum (while her visit is still fairly fresh on their/our minds), but have it count as a project for the school year. She will be sharing/cooking recipes with us and I am planning to have my children do a quick "interview" with her.

Is there anything else we can do or incorporate while the 17 year old student is here with us that will lend itself to their report and our studies?
Hi Cara,
I don't know what your budget is, but I was thinking that maybe your student would enjoy going through the "Trip Around the World" type activities -- there are pages with language, interesting facts, etc. However, Spain is in the third book, so you'd have to get "A New Trip Around the World."

Otherwise, I've used EnchantedLearning for studying an extra country. To get the best printouts, it will also have a cost, but they have a lot on there.

If the budget is small, I'd just follow the pattern of similar countries and look at the atlases, cook something, play the continent game, things like that, possibly with your exchange student leading the way, although that will depend a lot on her English skills. My experience is that exchange students can have language skills across the board, from almost none to very good, despite all having taken many years of English.

2nd and 3rd graders don't need to do anything too difficult, but it sounds like a fun opportunity.
Julie

P.S. With my 3rd grader, we did some extra countries from the Trip Around the World Books -- Belize because of a family trip there, and Panama because of its interesting location. For science during those weeks, I expect we worked from my little list of "things to do if we have time" because there was always something or other I skipped or we found in book basket, that looked interesting.

A few more ideas might be found on these threads:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8019&p=53668#p53668
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2533&p=42274#p42274

djlonderee

Re: Ideas for adding an extra country to ECC

Unread post by djlonderee » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:34 pm

I ended up adding another section to the large binder for the "Middle East." I felt that this deserves a separate section as it does not really fit with Asia, Europe, nor Africa (since its in the middle of them - hence Middle East I think). ANyway, we used the stuff MFW provided for Saudi Arabia, but I wanted to add Iraq for the reason of Babylon and the Biblical history there. Plus Windows on the World has a section devoted to Iraq (wish they had a section on the Marsh Arabs there though). We also added Israel for the same reason.

The Global Art book already had stuff for Israel and Iraq and we found the flags online and other coloring stuff and activities we could do. We did focus a lot on praying for Muslims and understanding that religion better and praying for the martyrs there and the persecuted church (the Atlas book brought up the Islamic law of making it illegal for people to become Christian and that led into lots of discussions). But if MFW was to add Israel as part of the curriculum, correlating it to maybe a Jewish holiday would be great or teaching a few basic Hebrew words would also be cool (Shalom = peace...etc).

We are still in process of finishing this curriculum and when we are done, I want my two older kids to write me a letter asking me to plan a family vacation to one of the countries we learned about and why they want to go there. They will need to "sell" me the idea and impress me with their knowledge and passion for the place. My husband and I are actually thinking we might take them up on it if its reasonable this coming summer........