Field Trip ideas for ECC

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Field Trip ideas for ECC

Unread post by Marie » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:35 pm

Field Trip ideas for ECC.

mamaloya

Field Trip - Epcot

Unread post by mamaloya » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:09 pm

We will be doing ECC this fall. I am planning on ending our study with a trip to Disney World in Florida. Epcot center has the World Showcase that has exhibits from many countries studied in ECC. Each exhibit has buildings built to look like the native buildings from that country and the staff there is actually from that country. You are encouraged to stop in each country and visit with the people to inquire about different things in that country. You get a passport and can have it stamped in each country as well as signed, in the native tongue, by the staff from each country. The countries in the world showcase are: Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, Italy, America, Japan, Morocco, France, and the United Kingdom. During the millenium celebration they has a "millenium village" with smaller exhibits from many more countries that was facinating. I don't remember seeing it on our last trip there so apparently it was only temporary. I wish they would bring it back. They also have ice station cool where they have sodas from around the world to taste.

It will take a whole day to do just the world showcase if we take time in each country. Then we will spend a second day in the other half of Epcot. We of course will also go to the other parks as well. It will be a nice way to celebrate the end of the year and learning about so many places.
Agape,

Sandra Loya
mom to 5: ds14, dd9, ds5, dd4, dd2

cbollin

Field Trips with ECC

Unread post by cbollin » Thu May 10, 2007 7:31 pm

The first time we did ECC we drove to Ft. Wayne, Indiana. Both the zoo and the botanical conservatory in that city fit the themes of ECC nicely. The zoo was arranged by continent. And the conservatory was set up in habitat/biomes. It was a fun trip.
Last edited by cbollin on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu May 10, 2007 9:04 pm

Molly,
This is a fun idea. We go on lots of field trips. Here's what I can think of so far:

ECC:
Zoo, especially to see animals from other continents
Arboretum (nature walks) & Japanese gardens
A favorite spot for nature walks, to re-visit in various seasons
Restaurants from various cultures - Russian, French, Mexican, Greek, Chinese, etc.
(many times the restaurants include artwork etc, not just food)
Hispanic market
Local German architecture
Russian art museum
Swedish "castle" museum
Missionary speaker and missions experiences
Library's map drawers, atlases in reference section, & huge wall map of our city
Small county museum for looking up ancestors, neighbors, etc
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Thu May 10, 2007 10:41 pm

We've done the usual non-related sorts of field trips (zoo, museum, local history things). Here are the MFW related trips:

ECC:
This was our big field trip year. Oh, what a year! It seems like ECC was the easiest year to link field trips to. My main hint is to tell everyone what you are studying and opportunities will come to you!
Chinese restaurant and little Chinese grocery store
Mexican restaurant
Indian Restaurant and little shop attached to it
BIbles for the World (the founder is from India and he entertained our children for an hour with his stories)
Our German babysitter spent an hour discussing how things were in her town during WWII (she was a young girl of about 7 or so).
The people across the street met a family from Kenya and we went to visit them for an afternoon.
We went to the local mosque and visited. While there, the leader wrote our kids' names in Arabic on a piece of paper for us to keep.
Aquarium (after studying Japan and oceans)
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

mom2boys

Unread post by mom2boys » Fri May 11, 2007 7:23 am

For ECC we visited a place called Worldways Children's Museum in St. Louis. Fun hands on activities for several different countries.

Great thread!
Blessings,
~Charlotte

7kmom

National Geographic Map exhibit

Unread post by 7kmom » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:53 pm

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:45 am
Author: Carol

Has anyone been to this traveling exhibit at your local museum?
We are thinking about going tomorrow. (Friday).
2 9yo and 1 3yo.
Would like to think our older boys would like to come along, but we haven't asked them yet.

I have heard about it months ago, and am excited to see it nearby.
thanks,
Carol

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:46 pm
Author: tamerc

I too am interested . I did google the exhibit and found this link [press release]:
http://press.nationalgeographic.com/pre ... 2516406466

Based on this article it sounds very cool. Hope it helps. ~Tamara

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:49 pm
Author: Marcy KY

Here's the museum's website with more info about the exhibit. [Indianapolis Children's Museum] Also a schedule for when it begins it's travels.
http://www.mywonderfulworld.org/toolsfo ... index.html

Did you see the lesson plans?
http://www.mywonderfulworld.org/toolsfo ... index.html

[editor's note: exhibit planned to travel through 2012 ]

sojen

Re: Field Trip ideas for ECC

Unread post by sojen » Tue May 11, 2010 9:16 pm

We did some fun and unique field trips this year. Here are my ideas:

United States: We went to an Atlanta Braves baseball game. We also went hiking in order to identify trees in an American Forest. To conclude our studies we had an All-American BBQ, complete with grilled cheeseburgers, homemade lemonade and New England pumpkin cake.

Mexico: We visited the International Farmers market to pick up some different types of cactus, brought them home and cut them open to study what was inside.

Brazil: Our botanical gardens have a rain forest terrarium. Very cool!

Norway: We took a little field trip to Ikea. Some of the largest forests in the world occupy Norway, Sweden and Finland. Furniture is a major export. Plus, they have a Swedish market so I could pick up some authentic eats.

France: Visited a lake, did tree identification and painted en plien air. We also visited the Coke museum and drank soda from around the world.

Germany: I had every intention of visiting Helen, Ga. This city is a recreation of an alpine village. We never made it, busy December. Instead we went to the Christmas Around the World exhibit at our local children's museum.

Kenya: the zoo. Also did geocaching.

China: Found out that there are Chinese Culture classes in our area. Went as a guest. This was quite an experience. They taught brush painting, Chinese songs and even had stories in Chinese.

Russia: Went to a ballet performance of Tchaikovsky's work.

Antarctica: Saw the penguins at the aquarium.

We also met with missionaries from other countries whenever we could. We were able to talk with missionaries from China, Mexico, Zambia and India. we also have friends from Mexico, Australia, Holland, Ireland, India and Brazil so we made a point to tell them when we were studying their country. They always loved talking to us about their homeland.

On a few occasions we went to restaurants of the country we were studying; Mexico, Canada (Bugaboo Creek), Norway ( Ikea),India and Australia (I never knew meat pie could be so good!) But our favorite memories were when we cooked at home ethnic food.
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.

jasntas

An early ECC Lesson

Unread post by jasntas » Sat May 15, 2010 7:36 pm

This weekend is fair and parade time here in our part of the world. We live in a rural area in Central California.

In the parade today there were several Mexican horses and riders dressed in their authentic garb. I don't know what type of horses they were as I couldn't hear the announcer very well. But I did hear that the horses were brought from Mexico. They were beautiful, very large horses with long mains and tails. The riders had the horses perform their steps that looked like dancing. The group even brought out a sofa and had a horse sit on the sofa in the middle of the street. That was a big crowd pleaser. The group also had a Mariachi band playing while riding in the back of a pickup alongside the horses. They provided the music for the horses to 'dance' to. My dc loved it. I kind of wished I would have brought the video camera and taped it so we could have relived it during our study of Mexico.

I almost can’t wait ‘til the fall when we explore all our great countries and cultures. :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:04 pm

If you live in Colorado, in the Denver metro area, check out The Wildlife Experience museum down in Parker. It has all kind of biome displays, that would go along perfect with ECC. There are stuffed animals, and robot/amitron animals and people that make noises and talk. There is a little bit of "evolution" content here and there, but overall, the idea is seeing the animals and plants in their habitat.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:36 pm

For our first day of ECC, we took a field trip to a travel agency. First, we looked through some books of famous places and landmarks in other countries. My dds each picked a place they would like to visit. Then, in the afternoon, we went to the travel agency. (I had called ahead of time to set it up and be sure it was okay with them). The travel agent showed my us how she plans a vacation for someone on her computer and how she finds the best airfare rates available. She gave us travel brochures for our chosen destinations and a few other places. It was a great way to start the school year!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

BHelf

How do you get your kids involved...

Unread post by BHelf » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:02 am

chris629 wrote:How do you get your kids involved when it comes to things, when you live in a smaller area? Anything? Being around groups of people they can learn from about different cultures, different backgrounds, volunteering for things, going places just for fun etc. I'm hoping to get a monthly trip to the city started with taking them on little field trips etc.
But how do I get my name and # out there but avoid some of the weirdo's that may get that info?
Think about field trips even if its just your family at first.

Today we went to a Papa Johns for a field trip. They let us tour the kitchen, talked about how they made the pizzas and then let the kids make their own pizzas. And it was free and only lasted about an hour and we had about 20 kids there, so it would be shorter for less kids. Im glad it didnt last long since i have a nursing baby and didnt want to have to figure out how to supervise and discreetly nurse at the same time?, lol.

Also you can do a field trip through a grocery store, pet store, or any other business you can think of. You just have to call ahead to arrange it and make sure they are willing to do something like that. If you have a small local airport (my tiny town has one) most of them allow for really neat field trips as well.

Hope that gives you some ideas for getting out if the house but staying indoors for the field trips.
Brooke
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

Metairie

Re: How do you get your kids involved...

Unread post by Metairie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:21 am

Of course! The local post office, fire department, police station, cheese shop, tiny grocery store here have all be so gracious. The small children's museum has a field trips there and free discovery boxes to check out. Zoos also give tours for homeschool students.

As far as how to meet people, do you have a local homeschool group? If not, I would start a yahoo group or even do a search for one. Post something at the local library about meeting at "X" time on "X" day for the story time. I met some moms through the preschool story time. HSLDA has a homeschool group section, so maybe the closest big city near you, you can post for meet ups in your small town someplace public to meet people before you do more private things (avoiding weirdos). :-)
Cindie, wife to Gary for 18 years, mom to girls,
Juliette MFW 1st grade Adv (01/04)
Jordan MFW K and Adv tag-a-long (07/06)

chris629

Unread post by chris629 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:48 pm

So do you think calling places and arranging for tours would be weird with only 2 kids one only being pre-s/K level?
My 5 yr old is into firemen and firehouses and my sister has a friend who works for 911 in the city and she arranged a day back in Dec to tour the firehouse. Of course all my resources are in the city. I like getting up there from time to time but I really dislike driving up there all the time or often.

I have tried to find a local yahoo hs group (will look again its been a school year ago), I've tried starting one and nothing.

We don't have an airport of any kind. We have an ultralight place but its a barn with those tiny little planes in it, in someone's back yard. I mean its really nothing. Not anything like even a small airport would be like.

Thanks for all the ideas ladies! I'm sure as the mountains of snow clear off a little bit more people would be willing to come out.
Right now our town is great if you want to eat, get gas, go to a bar or go to church, lol, so really not much to do. There are a couple of grocery stores and things like that but nothing special.
We do have All American Homes here so maybe I can call them to see if they can allow 2 kids in for a tour, lol.
Christina 34
Sean 7
Josh 5
Alex 1

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:59 pm

chris629 wrote:So do you think calling places and arranging for tours would be weird with only 2 kids one only being pre-s/K level?

My 5 yr old is into firemen and firehouses and my sister has a friend who works for 911 in the city and she arranged a day back in Dec to tour the firehouse. Of course all my resources are in the city. I like getting up there from time to time but I really dislike driving up there all the time or often.

I have tried to find a local yahoo hs group (will look again its been a school year ago), I've tried starting one and nothing. I'm sure as the mountains of snow clear off a little bit more people would be willing to come out.

We do have All American Homes here so maybe I can call them to see if they can allow 2 kids in for a tour, lol.
We live in a fairly small town, but I feel fortunate that there was already a group of homeschoolers in our county and they already had started a yahoo group for our local homeschoolers before I began homeschooling. Now, we post lots of things online, but it is important to really meet in person and get to know people. We post ideas for field trips or plans and then ask others to RSVP by a certain date so that we can plan accordingly.

Something that we have been doing for about three years is our homeschool 4H group. I am just trying to brainstorm and give ideas. We also drive to a town that is a little larger for some special activities now that our kids are older, but I was just trying to show you ideas that might be in your own community.
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:47 am

If you decide to try field trips, I do have some experience there. First of all, just call places and have a list of questions including what their minimum numbers are.

Not sure how to gather cohorts in a small town, especially if there aren't a lot of homeschoolers. Maybe your public school liaison would be able to spread the word? Ours does that sometimes. When we wanted a tour of the library for the state report in EX1850, I just emailed everyone I could think of, including coops and support groups. We only got about 4 kids, but the librarian seemed thrilled to do the tour. And our kids were lovely, with good questions that got her even more excited. (I have been on tours where the host does NOT like homeschoolers, and I will just say that you are leaving an impression if you chat with other moms instead of watching your children, or especially if you don't show up.)

Prayer also is very amazing. God has found my children many activities that I would not have otherwise noticed.
Julie
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

stevienext

Unread post by stevienext » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 am

If you live in the Milwaukee area, you can take a field trip to Mitchell Park Conservatory (akaThe Domes) to see desert and tropical biomes. Here's the website for more info:http://county.milwaukee.gov/MitchellPar ... a10116.htm.

sandlaw0

Need Field Trip ideas - Milwaukee

Unread post by sandlaw0 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:06 pm

sandlaw0 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:43 am
If you had 3 days to spend in Milwaukee, what 3 places where you would take a 10 year old boy? My list is long, time is short. I couldn't tell if the zoo was set up in biomes. thanks
Heading out in a week...thinking about the discovery science center, the domes, art museum. My brother is taking me to the Harley museum...he works at harley, and we are looking forward to his expertise.

I found out Milwaukee has authentic restaurants, looking forward to the Polish and German.

Thought maybe renting kites or going to the caves if we have an extra day

If we aren't worn out, go to appleton??? To make paper.

So many possibilities...never been...so feeling a little overwhelmed.

Reply from Julie - Staff » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:38 am
I was going to mention being sure to spend some time on the great lake, but it sounds like that Discovery museum has a ship replica right on the lake, with info about shipping and the great lakes - so cool!

You have a wonderful plan! Have fun, and share when you get back if you'd like!
Julie