Student sheets -- Useful for younger siblings?

lea_lpz

Re: Adventures -Order extra student sheets for my preschoole

Unread post by lea_lpz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:33 am

I really like crystals idea about the state outlines! I will have to keep that in mind when my ds is in K and my dd is doing Adventures! Loved the idea and am glad to see you back on the board posting! Crystal, you are wonderful resource for all us newbies!
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

robertb10502

Unread post by robertb10502 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:30 pm

I used adventures this year and did not get extra student sheets for my younger kids and I wish I would have. I only had a set for my 2nd grader...... My 1st grader got upset because I found so state pages online for him and they didn't match his brothers and my younger 2 would have loved to be included more. So for ECC I got a set for everyone. I know my 5 and 3 year old won't use them all and I'm ok with that. It something that I can include them I if they want. If they don't want that's fine to. I know other families that don't get them for everyone and that works for them. So I think it just depends on how much the younger child want to be involved.
-Samantha- wife to Robert - mom to Christian, Riley, Eli and Annie.

2012 - 2013 ECC
2011 - 2012 1st and Adventures
2010 - 2011 K and 1st
2010 - 2009 K

marvelousmess

Unread post by marvelousmess » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:14 pm

I like the outline idea! I probably wouldn't have thought of it if you had not listed it as an idea. I like having lots of ideas to pull from. Thanks for posting it :)
Learning to embrace the marvelous messes that my 2 children make :)

Wendy B.

ADV student sheets for tag-along Ker

Unread post by Wendy B. » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:16 pm

kw4blessings wrote:We'll be doing K and ADV starting in the fall. Just wondering if I should consider purchasing the ADV student sheets for my Ker for next year? I plan on doing as much of the K program with him as possible, with sister sitting in for the "fun stuff" because she missed out on MFW K. But, he's eager to learn and I feel he'll want to be involved in ADV some, too. I don't really want to put out any more money, but will if I feel it's necessary. I have purchased ADV already, but haven't extensively looked at the student sheets and now they're packed away for the fall.

Does anyone think it's worth it? Done it before? Thanks!
My K'r really enjoyed coloring the state sheets when we did Adventures. For us, it was worth the extra expense.
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

robertb10502

Re: ADV student sheets for tag-along Ker

Unread post by robertb10502 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:22 pm

I did not order student sheets for my younger ones with adv and I wished I would of had them. We ordered extra sheets for younger kids for ecc and it was worth the extra money!
-Samantha- wife to Robert - mom to Christian, Riley, Eli and Annie.

2012 - 2013 ECC
2011 - 2012 1st and Adventures
2010 - 2011 K and 1st
2010 - 2009 K

Melany

Unread post by Melany » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:08 am

I am currently doing K and Adventures with my boys.

I am so glad that I bought the extra students sheets, my younger son has really wanted to be involved and do what big brother is doing. He has participated in everything that we have done and we even did his own timeline too. So, I definately think it was worth the extra money.

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks ladies. I think I will go ahead and purchase a set of the student sheets for my son. I just looked at the pricing and realized the set is $19.99. I had $40 or so in mind when first considering it, but looks like that's more the price for K/1st student materials. I can swing the extra $20, especially since you all recommended I do!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

minnesotagirl

Extra student sheets for youngers, for Adventures

Unread post by minnesotagirl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:29 am

Hi there -- I was getting ready to place my order for MFWK and ADV, and when I started to checkout, the pop-up came up about ordering an extra set of Student Sheets for ADV for each younger child. Is this something that most families do/is this necessary? It would be quite an additional expense. Just wondering if my youngers (4.5 and 5 years old) would really be missing out if we didn't get them.

Thanks-
Lisa

Julie in MN

Re: Extra student sheets for youngers, for Adventures

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:48 am

If you're in a rush to decide, you might read through the several pages of this archive on the topic:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10088

Otherwise, I'm sure some folks will chime in as the day goes on.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

gratitude

Extra student sheets for youngers, for Adventures

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:04 am

minnesotagirl wrote:Hi there -- I was getting ready to place my order for MFWK and ADV, and when I started to checkout, the pop-up came up about ordering an extra set of Student Sheets for ADV for each younger child. Is this something that most families do/is this necessary? It would be quite an additional expense. Just wondering if my youngers (4.5 and 5 years old) would really be missing out if we didn't get them.

Thanks-
Lisa
We did order them, and I was very glad I did. Doing the Jesus poster with all three of them (at the time they were 5, 6/7, & 8 year old) was very meaningful. It isn't necessary, but I know my 5 and 6/7 year olds really enjoyed being a part of the program and learned quite a bit about our country and state names doing them.

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Keep in mind we are only on week 2. ;)

I'm on the fence. I did end up getting them for my twin 5 year olds. I know you can find state sheets and coloring pages free on-line. Of course, you can't get the flag stickers. It does add a lot of expense and there are many pages in the student sheets that they won't be able to do or just aren't needed. For example, we don't need 3 sets of timeline figures and they don't need any of the notebooking pages.

However, that said, I did get them and they are making my life easier. When you think about it, it's less than a dollar a week. So, I'm glad I got them and I'd do that again. But, I can also understand why someone would decide not to. I did not get them for my 3 year olds.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi Heather!

An idea for those notebook pages that you have for the younger students. My 5 year old colored them. She learned what the Statue of Liberty looks like, really liked the Morse Code and made a few by the Telegraph she colored, and loved having her own set of state bird cards that she cut out. The Jesus poster too of course. I remember her also coloring Mt. Rushmore and wanting to see the real one on the Internet. So they can color the notebook pages; except for those my oldest had to draw himself. You are correct though my youngers didn't use all of them and a junior set is a great idea to help with cost.

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks! They have actually been coloring them and they do enjoy it. Of course, they want me to write a narration down for them too. That's fine, but it isn't needed and I don't have time for it.....okay, I know sounds bad, it was said in a light hearted way even though you can't see tone. But, seriously, I'm teaching two K'ers to read, one somewhat reluctantly and the other never wants to stop doing school, teaching my 2nd grader and I have twin 3 year olds and an 8 month it. I can't do everything and sometimes I just don't want to write for them since it isn't really needed, KWIM. But, alas, I always do write for them because I think it is important and they are learning and learning good skills by doing it. So, point is, if I print them a coloring page without the lines, they are happy just to color and not have me write...I haven't done that yet. So far, they do the one my 2nd grader is doing (with me writing) AND do the coloring page I print for my 3 year olds. LOL!!

At any rate, I am glad I bought them each a set and even though I'm acting silly about it, I'm glad they are narrating to me. I'll be thrilled in a couple of years when they are awesome at narrating because they started at a young age (like next year in 1st. ;) )
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:18 pm

I never had a child want me to write their narrations! Sounds wonderful. I can see the challenge. I think I would want to hide the pages. LOL. I too can only do so much; I understand completely. My youngest is 18 mo or 1 year developmentally with DS and it keeps me constantly simplifying where I can & more than I would like to be doing.

You are doing Great Heather with so many little ones. :-)

I hope this discussion helps the OP decide with the various experiences we all have. :-)

yvonneh

Unread post by yvonneh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:02 pm

We are dong ECC, not ADV, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. I decided to get a set of student sheets for my 1st grader, but not for the 3-yaw-old. I did get all 3 a passport and flag sticker book, though as those items were less expensive. Today I found a small dry erase board for $1 at Target that has the continents on one side and states on the other. I thought the littlest one might enjoy using that while we do our map work, and maybe she'll learn the continents.. I just read the washable dry erase marker post, and I will definitely be getting some.
Yvonne
wife to Pete since 2002
born again believer since 2005
mom to 3 dd:
--elizabeth, 9
--abigail, 6
--faith, 3
ECC 2013-2014
Learning God's Story (1st) 2013-2014

MelissaB

3rd, 1st, and pre-k

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:55 pm

kadamsfam wrote:I am looking for some input as I plan this next year. I am planning to do Adventures with my 3rd grader. I will buy a second set of student sheets for my 1st grader so she can join in. Should I purchase another set for my child in pre-k? He will be 5 in December, but I am not planning to do K with him just yet. Would it just be a waste to purchase a set for him? Anyone do this with their children? how did it work out?
If you're 4 1/2 yr. old (when you start school) is a typical hands-on, moving around, making sounds kind of little man, I think I would look at purchasing one or two items from the Preschool Package (here's a link: http://www.mfwbooks.com/item/91165/Voya ... y-Package/). (The number puzzle board with pegs would be my personal choice. :) ) Otherwise, I would probably allow him to sit and build with legos or blocks, etc. while we were learning Adventures. If he enjoys listening to stories, he can learn a lot that way.

We know a large family that has a Preschool Toy Chart: Monday is blocks; Tuesday is cars; Wed. ... you get the picture. She has five small shoe-size boxes, each with the day of the week on the front. She writes in her curriculum Teacher's Manual a simple activity to assign him to do each day with his toy/s while she's teaching. It works pretty well... most of the time. :-)

Enjoy!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

lovehomeschooling

Re: 3rd, 1st, and pre-k

Unread post by lovehomeschooling » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:11 pm

I am doing Adventures with a 2nd, K, and 3 year old right now. I LOVE the idea of having a different box of toys for each day of the week. I have been thinking of doing something similar.

I wish I had bought the student pages for Adventures. My three year old wants to be included as much as possible. He doesn't join us every day, but he does many days. His favorite is the stickers.
DS10- MFW RTR, AAS3, Rightstart Math E, and Rosseta Stone Spanish
DD8- AAR 2, AAS 1, RS B, and Abeka Handwriting
DS6- MFW K, RS A, AAR 1, and Abeka HW
DS2- Tagging along
Used MFW K 2012, 2013, 2016 MFW 1st 2012, 2015 Adv 2013 ECC 2014 CTG 2015 RTR 2016

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:27 am

I bought a Dover coloring book on the states for my Ker (using Exp to 1850 this year, it has state pages too) and we also looked up coloring sheets on the internet for her. Saved a lot because she didn't always want to do it with us.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

kadamsfam

Unread post by kadamsfam » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:22 am

Thank you for the ideas, this is very helpful!

kidswife

Unread post by kidswife » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:14 am

Why don't you do 1st grade with MFW?
I did that while doing Adv with my 3rd grader, and it was very easy. I find Adv and 1st to be very light, and we easily got it done. I maybe hit it 2-3 times a week, and the great timeline we ended up with on the board with the combined bible timeline and American History timeline was super. If your 1st grader didn't do 1st grade, I'd recommend that instead. It's great for everyone to get that Bible timeline on the wall for the whole family to stare at for a while ;-)
There just isn't much to either of them, but what we do cover is terrific!!
I LOVE MFW for that!
Theresa
DDs 13, 11, 7
DS 9
Used/using R&S Preschool, Sonlight Books, Classical Academic Press, MFW & Classical Conversations!