State Studies - Repetitive?

4Truth

State Studies - Repetitive?

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:00 am

Help Planning Next Year ...
erin.kate wrote:We LOVE MFW. Love, love, love it ... we've done K and we're in first right now. We are currently using MFW first grade for my oldest daughter, who is now 7. We are planning on using Adv next year. Our library is miserable, so finding the Appendix books is rare and the time it takes for me to find alternatives is sometimes more than I can devote. The biggest concern I have about Adv, and I'm hoping you seasoned Adv users can impart your candid thoughts here ;) , is whether the study of a state per day becomes too cursory and repetitive and the kids lose interest. I want my daughter's first encounter with Amer Hist to be one that sparks a passion for history in her, not one that feels too brief and thus hurried.

Warmly,
Erin Kate
Quick answer to the states question, as I'm off to get our own schoolwork going, but it's NOT "a state per day". There are only 50 states, and Adventures is 34 weeks long. ;) But there is a bit of repetition because, well, a state is a state is a state. Each state has a state flower and bird and a flag, so you have an information and coloring sheet for each one (included in the pack of Student Sheets). But then you also have many book and video suggestions in Book Basket to help round out your state studies as desired. You can pull up the state's capital city website, some historical sites for that state, or the state's official government site and get extra info from there. You can have them send you a traveler's pack of info for the state. I have a bookmark on the other computer that takes you to a site where you can hear each state's bird call. Just lots of fun extras that you can do with your state studies.

Also, you're learning the states as they come up chronologically in context of the history of the U.S., so it all fits together.

You'll also have food recipes and hands-on projects related to the history of the states.

As to the pacing, you don't actually begin the state study until Week 12, and you cover 4 states that week. The following week is the stand-alone Thanksgiving unit which you can either do in order (if it happens to be near T'giving when you get to week 13 in your fall schedule), or if at a different time of year, you can skip the T'giving unit and come back to it at Thanksgiving time.

Then in Week 14 in the manual you cover 4 more states. Week 15 is 4 states, Week 16 is only 2 states, and Week 17 only one state.... So you can see it's the not the same every week.

You mentioned that you don't have time to devote to finding similar-topic titles if your library doesn't have the specific ones on the list.... But it shouldn't be too hard to find general topic books on each state as it comes up in the schedule, as well as children's biographies of key people from different states. Marie does have some Book Basket titles asterisked that she recommends for purchase, so you could do it that way if you prefer. For example, she has some Animated Hero Classics video titles asterisked for Ben Franklin and others. A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution is asterisked. She doesn't have It Happened in America: True Stories from the Fifty States asterisked, but you could buy that or any other anthology or non-fiction type of resource book for the states to have permanently on your shelf. I know I've gotten some beautiful picture books of the states, even coffee table type books from the library. I've seen them at Sam's Club and places like that, too.

So lots of ideas there... HTH. Now I need to get busy! :)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

gratitude

Re: Help Planning Next Year ...

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:51 am

Hi!

I had some of the same concerns. So I guess I will address a few of them. It looks like you already have the state answer, which is good since we aren't to the states yet.

When I learned that ADV is 2/3 of the states I will admit I was disappointed. My children know where most of the states are, etc. I wanted more of a History focus. So I know where you are coming from.

HOWEVER, I prayed. The Lord gently led me to continue with ADV. I am so GLAD that I did!! We are loving it. To stretch out the History we are taking 2 weeks for 1 week for this first part of ADV. Thus, the History will take as long as the states. I too have a miserable library, so I did order some books on line for some of the major topics to supplement. I am VERY pleased with what we have already pulled out of ADV. I am looking forward to the rest of it. I have also decided that a more in-depth look at each state will help them remember the states over the years, and will be beneficial to their education. The names of Jesus we are loving so far, and well.. it just seems like a great study. My children are talking about the History they are learning, and liking it; so far so good for a gentle introduction to American History. As always I am amazed by what they learn with MFW with so little effort from me.

I did not order ADV sheets for my Kindergarten son. I did decide MFW K was enough for him. He is really enjoying listening to the books being read from ADV, and the place mats at the table of the US and world, and he is learning too just not as formally. My four year old is picking up a little.

Blessings for your adoption.

I hope this helps a little.

sojen

Unread post by sojen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:45 am

I don't have much time to write, but I LOVED Adventures. One thing we did was a bunch of fun field trips. When we got to the state studies there are fun facts printed on the back of the state sheets. I always glanced ahead and planned something fun to help my daughter remember the state. The highlight for me was when we studied North Carolina we went to Krispy Kreme. The state sheet mentioned the headquarters for KK is in NC, so it made a great mini field trip. We tried to do things like that as much as possible.

I think food really makes learning fun, so I also picked up a cookbook that had a recipe from each of the 50 states. I think it was called Cookout USA, but there are tons of books like that out there.

My younger daughter didn't do Adventures with us and I was worried about her joining in the cycle and not getting US history until 4th grade. This summer I found Liberty's Kids on Netflix and had her watch it. I think it would be a great History supplement to Adventures.

Blessings on your decision and on your adoption!
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi ladies,

I encourage others to keep sharing their experiences with Adventures with Erin Kate, but I wanted to mention or remind you that this is the first time a state study is covered.

The states along with the U.S. presidents will be studied at a slower pace during years 4 and 5. So have fun and enjoy learning, but remember this is not the last of the states study :).

Lucy

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:33 pm

Lucy Robertson wrote:The states along with the U.S. presidents will be studied at a slower pace during years 4 and 5. So have fun and enjoy learning, but remember this is not the last of the states study :).
That's right! Adventures is a one-year "overview" of American history & geography, patriotic songs and symbols, the names and characteristics of Jesus, science topics relating to the names of Jesus (plus the bird study), all of which are fun and age-appropriate for younger children. And part of that is an introduction to the 50 states in the child's home country. Expl-1850 and 1850-Modern go much more in-depth and are spread over two years, but also include many topics that are pretty heavy for 2nd grader such as world wars, Communism, the Holocaust, etc. Adventures, however, wraps up a 3-year "cycle" of K-2nd grade before jumping into MFW's unique 5-year cycle that starts with ECC.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:01 pm

I love reading all of these responses! I can't tell you how thankful I am for such a supportive group as I make these important decisions. We just love MFW ... so this helps solidify so many things for me.

Donna,
Incredibly helpful. Thank you. I will probably take advantage of some of the book basket selections for purchase and then supplement from there with the library. I thought I would love Adv but then was swayed by some reviews in other places, but I should have known it is an awesome program. We must be a MFW family through-and-through. :-)

Lucy,
Maybe it's my cold medicine, but all of this makes me love MFW even more! 8[]

Truly, thanks for jumping in Lucy and offering that note.

Jen,
I think the recipe ideas are fantastic. There is another book that is supposed to be really good and simple for kids to join in: Eat Your Way Through the USA by Pettit.

I will have a look for Liberty Kids. Thank you for your thoughts!

[Editor's Note: read the end of the story here http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 471#p84471 ]
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

schoolmom2

ADV state sheets ... stuck

Unread post by schoolmom2 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:49 pm

erin.kate wrote:I am an absolute lover of MFWK and 1, but I am still finding myself hesitant a little with respect to ADV. I keep finding myself stuck on the state sheets ... I don't want it to feel like worksheets every day or the same routine over and over. It's probably just my fears. Can someone pop in here and give me your candid thoughts and experiences on ADV once you get to week 12 or so. I see so much enthusiasm for the early weeks, but I really want to know what your experiences look and feel like as the ADV year progresses through the states.

Thank you so much! I am eager to commit and order our second grade year so that I can begin preparing before summer. lol. If it matters, I will have two in MFWK as well next year. Blessings!
We loved Adventures, but I have to admit that I found a great book at my local JoAnn craft store, of all places, that had a puzzle and several interesting facts for each state. I knew that the puzzle book would be a hit with them. So I replaced/supplemented the state sheets.

As for the rest of Adventures, we loved every week of it. Yes, the material slowed down a bit when we got to the state weeks, but the kids loved the books in book basket, and ended up learning a lot. We spent a little more time on the Civil War than what was in the manual, but I can't remember tweaking anything else.

I can relate to getting cold feet. I was feeling that way about next year in CtG. Researched a bunch of other options, and ended up thinking how great MFW is, and how grateful I am for their balanced approach! We're in it for the duration, too!

baileymom

Re: ADV state sheets ... stuck

Unread post by baileymom » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:53 pm

One thing we do differently than most, is a Family Notebook. I don't have each child doing each State Sheet. The 3 oldest take turns. They read it aloud to all of us, color it, and put it in the notebook. We're finishing up Week 19 (Ohio), and so far, no one is complaining about 'another state sheet.'

P.S. Their favorite part of the sheets, is the silly laws! If there isn't one listed, they are disappointed! (no crossing the street on your hands...no carrying an ice cream cone in your pocket, etc)

I know you will have younger children...but maybe they could atleast do the coloring ever few sheets or so. (I also think being consistent with Book Basket during the mid/end of ADV is VERY important...brings the history of the state to life)

HTH!
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:04 am

We did one of Crystal's suggestions -- ds highlighted his favorite fact on the back of the sheet. I also got a book of state stickers, since ds doesn't like coloring, and he placed those on the front, instead.

It's like having a book about all 50 states -- it's way interesting :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

jhagberg

Re: Art in ADV

Unread post by jhagberg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 am

I ordered the art book for ADV, and I set it aside and thought to myself, "Maybe next year." But then, I was pleasantly surprised when ADV started studying each individual state; they have a student sheet where my son colors the state bird and the state flower to match a flashcard...and he loves it! I could hardly believe it. This is the child who refused to color any picture in Sunday School when he was younger. Now he takes great pride in replicating the color and markings of each bird and flower. Amazing!
Joyce

beastgal

Unread post by beastgal » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:35 am

We have loved Adventures!!! Once we started the State Studies I was a little sad but that was just because we were moving past the Revolution and my boys loved learning about that! But we have enjoyed the state study and ds has not complained at all about doing the sheets. In fact he loves coloring them and adding the state sticker to the sheet. The one thing I wish I would have done is to do a food from each state. There are several states that have some suggestions/recipes but I wish we would have done each state from the beginning.

Wendy

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:28 am

My boys love to color so that part wasn't a problem. I did try to get books from Sleeping Bear Press (I think that's what it's called). They have one for each state, titles like "P is for Pennsylvania" and then each letter of the alphabet ties into something connected specifically with that state. They really enjoyed them.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

beaglemamma2008

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:02 am

baileymom wrote:P.S. Their favorite part of the sheets, is the silly laws! If there isn't one listed, they are disappointed! (no crossing the street on your hands...no carrying an ice cream cone in your pocket, etc)
=
My 7yo also likes the silly laws, and she has figured out that most of the state postal abbreviations are either the first and last letters or the first and second letters of the state's name, so she always looks forward to guessing what each abbreviation is before she takes a peek.

Honestly, I got my first sigh out of dd last Thursday when I handed her a state sheet, but that was after having one every. single. day. last week, which is not usually the case. When I handed her one on Day 3 of this week, she was fine with it because we had been reading about Samuel Morse for two days during history. I think it was just last week doing it every day. But, again, that's not usually the case!

If you do think your child will get tired of doing them, you can always change it up a little by doing some of the following ideas:

1. Print some of the state sheets from the Crayola web site (http://www.crayola.com/free-coloring-pa ... ing-pages/), which have a very different look to them.
2. Have dc focus on the part of the state study he/she does enjoy, such as a book of silly state laws, or a book of state postal abbreviations, or a book of state capitals, etc.
3. Have dc draw or paint the state bird and/or flower and make a state nature book
4. (Dodging rotten tomatoes here) Just skip them sometimes. I think as long as you color each state on the U.S. map as you study it, your child will still walk away with the understanding that the United States started off as a small group of states on the East Coast and gradually expanded westward. To me, even that is pretty impressive for a 2nd grader to know!

And a couple more things I feel compelled to throw out there:

1. Don't just assume that your dc will find them tiresome just because other families may have had that experience. (Not saying you are doing that; just saying to be cautious of it! :) )
2. Sometimes, it is very easy for us to look at something and think, "Oh, she can do that on her own," so we hand it to our child and ask them to do it. Well, yeah, that can get to be boring. So I always try (doesn't always happen, but I always try) to find some part of the state sheet to get excited about with dd. I think that keeps it fun for her. "Oh, wow, I didn't know that Spain controlled Florida for 200 years!" "Look at that ... Tennessee has the exact same state bird we have!" Something to get her excited about that state, to make that state stand out from the other 49. Will she remember it? Probably not, but at least she knows that every state is unique.
3. Every child is different, and your child may very well surprise you! My dd, for example, passionately hates to color. However, she loves nature, and the fact that she is coloring birds and flowers has made it enjoyable for her. Plus, like I said, she likes to guess the postal abbreviation.

And one more tidbit (because apparently I'm trying to make my girls late to ballet today :-) ) -- We have done all of the state sheets because, with the exception of last week, it hasn't become monotonous for us. And one benefit I have seen from doing them is that as dd has colored the bird and flower for each state, it has been a little bit of a nature study, a good way for her to see the vastness of God's creation, that not all people see the same things we see here in Southeast Texas. And she has actually enjoyed seeing that many of the states have the same state bird. (The cardinal, mockingbird, and goldfinch seem to be especially popular.) She has taken such an interest in birds in our backyard, and I can pretty much guarantee that would never have happened if she hadn't taken the time to learn about different birds with the state sheets. She'll actually run and grab her Birds, Nests, and Eggs book to see if she can identify them. We have a huge goldfinch family that is only there because of the thistle seed birdfeeder we hung up back in the fall, and last week she pointed out some birds that she thinks were red-winged blackbirds, and from what I could tell, she was absolutely right! So I guess I feel like doing all of these state sheets has actually helped to make her more aware of God's creation, and she'll take the time to notice it now. To me, that's worth it.

Okay ... seriously late for ballet! &)
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:10 am

schoolmom2 wrote:Researched a bunch of other options, and ended up thinking how great MFW is, and how grateful I am for their balanced approach! We're in it for the duration, too!
Absolutely ... I really need to lift this one up and go with my heart. I have loved MFW from day 1, so why I am nervous now I can't say. I need to stop investigating, buy ADV, and make it an amazing year!

Speaking of artsy ... my daughters are super artsy. Maybe I could help them choose various supplies to use for the state sheets to spice it up ... beeswax, rock crayons, glitter, etc. Glitter makes everything seem wonderful!
♥Count it all joy ~

1974girl

Unread post by 1974girl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:06 pm

There is much more to Adv. than those things. We did the first 13 states "colonies" and put them in our notebook. They were 6 and 8 and learned all 50 states and capitals off of a Youtube song and video. (type in Wakko's 50 states) We would learn about 5 at a time. My 6 yr old sang it at the homeschool talent show and wow-ed everyone. So it is ok to branch out and find other things. Our library had picture books of all states and so they got what they needed without coloring the other 37 states. Although, we are in TN and I did take a week and do a little TN history. Oh, and they colored MS because that is where Daddy is from.
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

Julie in MN

After week 13 in ADV ...

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:05 pm

erin.kate wrote:how in depth are the American history topics studied? I am looking at the sample of how the year is presented, and I'm still really curious about how much history is learned versus state geography for the latter 2/3 of the year. So, for instance, in Week 14 ... the student is learning about CT, MA, MD, and SC ... are they learning about historical figures as they relate to these states? Or, important early Amer history events that relate to either that particular state or even to the time period that the state entered the Union?

I guess my question is whether there is more than state study for the last 2/3 of the year. Is it really an early American history experience for second graders, or more of an American geography tour with the 50 states as they entered the Union?

I'm sorry if I am asking too many questions about Adv. Maybe I'm thinking to hard. Thank you for sharing your experiences with Adv!
Erin Kate,
While you're waiting for the experienced ADV families to chime in today, I thought I'd mention that the table of contents gives you a good idea of the topics. Weeks 14-15 spend time on a lot of states, but then it goes back to being a mix. This is just a copy-paste from http://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/ ... manual.pdf

Week 16
Rhode Island, Vermont, Daniel Boone

Week 17
The Wilderness Road, Kentucky

Week 18
Eli Whitney, Tennessee

Week 19
Pioneers on the Ohio River, Ohio

Week 20
Louisiana Purchase, Louisiana, War
of 1812, The Star-Spangled Banner

Week 21
Robert Fulton, Indiana, Mississippi

Week 22
Illinois, Alabama,
Going West by Wagon Train

Week 23
Maine, Missouri, Arkansas, Michigan

Week 24
Samuel Morse and the Telegraph,
Florida, Texas

Week 25
Iowa, Wisconsin, Gold in California

Week 26
Santa Fe Trail, Oregon Trail,
California Trail, California

Week 27
Minnesota, Oregon, Abraham Lincoln

Week 28
Abraham Lincoln

Week 29
Kansas, West Virginia, Nevada,

Week 30
Transcontinental Railroad, Colorado

Week 31
Pioneers on the Plains, North Dakota,
South Dakota

Week 32
Montana, Washington, Idaho,
Wyoming

Week 33
Utah, Oklahoma, New Mexico,
Arizona, Thomas Edison,
Wright Brothers

Week 34
Alaska, Hawaii, Review
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: After week 13 in ADV ...

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:09 pm

The depth is on par for age level. the topics in history (vs. state geography) after week 13 ish...

it is now a country versus colonies. So, there's a intro to westward expansion, pioneers, cotton gin, steam boat stuff, going further west... oh this is funny... memphis used to be consider "southwest" of the US. LOL

Oregon Trail, other west trails.
Brief into on A. Lincoln, but not in depth on civil war just yet.
trancontinental railroad
gold rush....

and the state stuff along the way gives the "chronological framework" to study it. So that's what shows up in the sample on the pdf table of contents. Yes, you do the state study, but yes, there are other topics going on. Some of it is from point of view of pioneer children, etc.

if she does lose some interest in the state sheets, I'm sure there are some threads around here somewhere for ideas to tweak.

I know some stuff I did with the state sheets in ex1850/1850MOD might help.
It didn't take long to color in the bird and flower, so that was never an issue for us. Put some music on for a few minutes and that was it.
We'd use them to decorate the wall a bit
try a recipe or two or fav food for that area
try to visit the official tourism or gov't page for the state and look at the kids page.
some people have done postcard swaps together.
sometimes I've mentioned the idea if a child has a specific interest (sports team, or music style, or something) to see what that is like in the state you are studying.
and don't forget to celebrate holidays too.

but just saying if you end up using ADV and then hit a snag in the state sheets, ask for ideas, or browse the ADV ideas or archives... maybe a twist or tweak can help then too?

You're going to do just fine. (((Hugs))) there's lots of time and room in ADV to even have fun with local/state field trips with history sites. Go have fun at this age with them. Do parades and visit memorials, make it a fun year. enjoy liberty's kids too.

-crystal

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:55 pm

erin.kate wrote:
Julie in MN wrote:I thought I'd mention that the table of contents gives you a good idea of the topics. Weeks 14-15 spend time on a lot of states, but then it goes back to being a mix.
Thank you! I'm having a hard time seeing enough "mix" but I trust it is there. :) Have a great week!Hi Erin.Kate!
cbollin wrote:Yes, you do the state study, but yes, there are other topics going on. Some of it is from point of view of pioneer children, etc.
We love MFW and should trust that next year will be great. I don't mean to be a pest at all.
I thought I would chime in a bit since we did use ADV.
The first 1/3 of ADV is an introduction to American History. There are two main history spines for the American History portion. The Pioneers & Patriots book; our children LOVED this book. The second is the book that Marie put together that comes with the curriculum. In addition to these two books is the read-alouds in the deluxe package; these books were delightful. There are a few other books brought in for this History study. The study is chronological with a time-line. We also brought in some additional books that were initiated by the appendix list. In addition, is the hands on activities and Bible (names of Jesus) and science. Then of course art, foreign language, and LA and math. This 1/3 of study gave my ds7 a great introduction to American History. He talks about things he learned in this part of the program in casual conversation; so I know that it really was a good introduction. He might mention that New York was founded by the Dutch, or Leif Erickson living in Greenland, or George Washington as our president and that he ate Cornmeal Jonney/Indian cakes for breakfast, etc. For me, it was enough information of the American time-line for now. No wars, great for this age group.

The second 2/3 of the program I think, from looking at this part of the program, could be really delightful and full and you could learn a lot with the science, bible, and state study. It fell apart a bit for us. We kept doing the Bible, but they already know their state geography really well, and well...

A little History is in this part of the program, from some of the later people introduced (I think Benjamin Franklin, and Abraham Lincoln - we tied them in, and I think I took them from the portion with the states). Now I am remembering a little more. I did take out perhaps 10 - 15% of the History study we did from the places it was integrated into the state study. We are still wrapping up the Bible. My ds did go through all of the sheets and put the flag stickers on each one. The read-alouds also tie a little bit into the state study. The History we pulled out of those pages though was great! The science too through the end of ADV, which we did last year, is also wonderful. I hope this helps.

Blessings,
Carin
Last edited by gratitude on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:20 pm

gratitude wrote:A little History is in this part of the program, from some of the later people introduced (I think Benjamin Franklin, and Abraham Lincoln - we tied them in, and I think I took them from the portion with the states).
The read-alouds also tie a little bit into the state study.
Ah, Carin, thank you! Finally I seem to see the bigger picture. Sadly, I fear that my daughter will quickly lose interest in the state sheets, and this has been my worry. Our library is horrible, and I mean horrible, and inter-library loan is not an option, amazingly, at our library, so beefing up the latter part of Adv with more living books might be unrealistic for us, and we are coming to the end of our int'l adoption, so our discretionary income is limited next year. I appreciate the books that Marie has chosen in the Appendix, in part because she has reviewed them, so if I can't use them I am not certain I will have the time to preview relevant books along the way.

I'll mull this all over. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm grateful.
♥Count it all joy ~

beastgal

Unread post by beastgal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Don't let the state study stop you from using Adv. Yes there are 50 sheets for the states but there is sooo much more to it than that. We color the sheets and read a little of the info on the back (no we don't read it all). It does not take long at all for him to complete the sheets and I use it as some independent time for him. The state study would be the thing I like least but I do not regret doing any of it at all. There is so much more through out the weeks (Eli Whitney, wagon train, telegraph, Lincoln, Railroad, inventions). You can take those and expand on if you choose. The thing that was hard for me was that even if I wanted to go into more detail about a state there just was not much time. So we just did what we could and went on. I did add in some more detail of our state history, not just the day we did it but over the last few months.

We will finish Adventures next week and i am so sad to see it end. Best wishes, it will be a great year!!!

Edited to add.... My boys (8 and 3) both LOVE history now! They are constantly dressing up like an American hero and acting out history. In fact today my 3 year old asked my why a bad guy shot "that guy with the tall hat" Lincoln!! It is amazing at what they learn!
erin.kate wrote:Thank you! So, I think this is my biggest confusion. &) I don't want to make people crazy with my questioning) ... BUT ...

so, when you get to a week with four states for instance, and your child is over the state sheets ;) , so you expand on a topic, let's say the telegraph. Do you realistically have enough time to study the telegraph, even at a 2nd grade level, or is that not really possible? I guess I'm not clear on what exactly is covered in a given week with several states ... what does the "history" focus on? Those states or history at the time of the states? You mention not having enough time to go into a state more ... is that because it was a state per day or because there was so much else in the TG to cover about the history aspect that you ran out of time? :-)
For me personally it was because I didn't want to spend tons of time researching ideas for a state and only have one day to do it all. Typically if you do 4 states in a week that is all you do. In the case of Eli Whitney, it was just him and Tenn that week. Lots of time to learn and discover about it. The telegraph is with Flordia and Tx (this is all from the table of contents) so again you have 2 days of Samuel Morse and telegraph. There are very few weeks with just state studies (maybe 4 or so) And on those weeks History is light. Not a big deal at all. You could always continue a learning about a topic but for us it was just a shorter day/week in regards to history.

Don't worry about asking questions! I am wanting to do the same about ECC..... so nervous about it next year because we have loved it and I hear it is totally different. but I am making myself not look at it at all until after we finish Adventures!
erin.kate wrote:Sooooo, I think the lightbulb just went off for me. :)

Looking at the TOC ... a week is spent on Christopher Columbus, Jamestown, Native Americans, Pilgrims, Pioneers, Ben Franklin, Washington, Jefferson & Decl of Ind, then President Washington, and Thanksgiving. The biggies in our early history. That seems like plenty of time to really dig in to those awesome parts of American history. Then, as the state study begins, less "history" is presented, mostly because we've traveled up through the very late 1700s and met the pivotal characters of early Amer history. We segway into Thanksgiving, take a little break for the holiday itself, and then dig into the states and the key figures or events who influenced a state or states ... such as, Eli Whitney and Tennessee with the cotton gin.

When I come to weeks where we have several states in one week, perhaps in advance I can hone in on living books to enrich and spice up those weeks, so that the focus is not on the state sheets, which I DO think will be an awesome part of Adv, just not sure how to keep it alive for 50 states. Maybe a lap book that week or a little review of prior weeks.

I am probably looking at this with the wrong lens. For example, week 20 and the Louisiana Purchase, Louisiana, War of 1812, and The Star-Spangled Banner. My mind is thinking, how in the world can we do these events, places, topics, etc any due justice in one measly week? But, maybe that is all that is really necessary for this young age?

My problem may just be me and my too-high expectations for an introduction to Early Amer history. I love love love history, so part of my eagerness to really make it beautiful stems from that, as well.

You made it all so much more clear to me. Thank you!
I think you will find that it really is plenty for this age! I wasn't sure either but it really is and my son is learning so much! I tried to go way over board with Texas history (it is the 175th anniversary) and quickly realized that for my 7 year old son details were not what he wanted!!! He wanted the main idea/ the heroes/the stories. Will you be ordering soon? I bet once you get the TM it will help you plan.

Wendy
Last edited by beastgal on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beaglemamma2008

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:46 pm

My experience is that, while Adventures does contain the right amount of history (age appropriate for a 2nd or 3rd grader, not comprehensive), what it has really done in our home is helped us to develop an overall sense of patriotism. We've listened to lots of patriotic music and really taken the time to study the lyrics, which has helped us see how our nation truly was founded on God. We've traveled from state to state to "see" the U.S. (In our home we've googled pictures as dd has shown interest or read books from the book basket about each state to get a "feel" for it.)

As far as history is concerned, we've learned about how the U.S. came to be an independent nation, then saw how it grew as we (1) colored each state as it was added to the Union and (2) learned about topics such as the Louisiana Purchase (which more than doubled the size of the U.S.), Lewis and Clark and Sacagawea (who explored the new land), and the Gold Rush (which took people to the Pacific Coast). We learned about key historical figures such as Ben Franklin, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Abraham Lincoln. We've learned about key events such as the Revolutionary War that led to an independent country and the Civil War that was one of our nation's darkest hours because our states weren't so "united" after all. I feel ilke that's pretty impressive for a 2nd grader, and that's just using what's included in the package. Then there's the book basket on top of that.

In my opinion, Adventures is what you make of it. If you want to "beef up" the history part of it (not saying I think that's needed, just saying if that's your preference :) ), then just add supplemental resources for your book basket time. That is such a key part of the day, IMHO, and you can really go in whatever direction you want with it. If your family is more into the arts, focus on the Tchaikovsky study during that time. If your family is into patriotism, load it up with books about Francis Scott Key or books about the states or how the flag has changed over the years. If your family is into cooking, get recipe books from the different time periods or the different geographical areas. If your family is into history, get books that will expand on the history topics. In our home, we have purchased several titles that we felt dd may enjoy reading, such as the American Girl series and the Blast to the Past series, both of which she devoured. And the whole family had countless movie nights with a big bowl of popcorn and the Liberty's Kids series (available from Netflix if you subscribe) because ... well ... it's just really, really good stuff!

So ... man, I'm wordy &) ... for us, it was perfect for a 2nd grader. But if you feel it's lacking, just make good use of your book basket. :)
erin.kate wrote:so, when you get to a week with four states for instance, and your child is over the state sheets , so you expand on a topic, let's say the telegraph. Do you realistically have enough time to study the telegraph, even at a 2nd grade level, or is that not really possible?
Remember, the TM is there to be your aide, not your master! So if the state sheets would be that much of a burden, then just skip 'em. I definitely wouldn't skip the mapping because it has just done something in our minds to see how the country expanded. But if you don't fill out the sheets for each state, it's not the end of the world. You seem to really embrace Charlotte Mason. What if you got the Thornton Burgess bird book and did a study on the different state birds? Or I think he or Jean-Henri Fabre (or someone at the Yesterday's Classics web site) has a flower book. You could turn the state studies into ornithology or botany studies. Just an idea. You can go in so many directions with it. :)
erin.kate wrote:Yep, read my mind. I planned on a year-long bird study using Burgess's book and starting this summer with a trip to the Burgess museum (we live near CC). I hadn't thought about the flower aspect, but that's a great idea and I love Fabre.

Definitely want the TG to be my guide, but I will be spread thin next year with my new one from Ethiopia (and my 5yo was just diagnosed with Lupus so she's been very ill) and I want our year to be simple and yet thorough ... I do not want to tweak as much as I tend to do. :-)

This gives me a lot of good advice to really steep in ... thank you again!
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:45 pm

IMHO there is plenty of Am History woven into the states studies in ADV. Lots of extra stories and characters in there. Cool hands-on projects. My dd still has the ugly stuffed doll we made. *sigh* She named it "Charlotte" after Laura Ingalls' doll. We also interviewed different family members that were born in different states. My dd had a cool talk with her great-grandma that was born and raised in Kentucky and asked her all kinds of questions about Daniel Boone. She's also got a grandpa from KY, a grandma from WA, a papa from AR, a grandma from CA . . . . you get the picture. It really made learning about those states fun for her. The bird study (which I didn't like) was incredibly cool to her. And I actually didn't suck the fun out of it - I let her enjoy it. *pats self on back because I need it* And when she got really interested in a particular topic, I would stretch it out and then do 2-3 state sheets in a day. She still learned all the states. Just our experience with it.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

schoolmom2

Unread post by schoolmom2 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:43 am

We had a great time in Adventures last year! I felt that with the combination of book basket, state sheets, and booklet that comes with Adventures, we had a great overview of the states that was perfect for my kids' ages. Sometimes they asked questions to which I did not know the answer, so we would go "look it up" on ask.com.

My goals for Adventures were that my kids would know where each state is, basic geography of the US (where are the mountain ranges and rivers, and what kind of weather would we expect to find in each region), major landmarks, and an overview of how 13 colonies became 50 united states. Their knowledge will be filled in with studies in those later years of MFW.

Sometimes I want to present them with all the knowledge all at once, and have to back up and remind myself that this is a building process. For example, last year we learned that the Southwest region is hot and dry and filled with incredible landforms (Arches National park, etc.). This year in ECC, we learned that the Sonoran Desert reaches up into the SW region of the US. My kids put 2 and 2 together, and what a joy it was to see them making the connection!

Fly2Peace

Unread post by Fly2Peace » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:56 am

Can I just say, that to me Adventures is a "don't miss it" kind of year! It was our first with MFW, and right after a year of a different American History. However, it was different, it was pleasant, it was GREAT. And, yes, those State Sheets can be taken to Dr. appt., or on a trip, or any number of things. Do them while listening to music, do them while waiting on a batch of cookies in the oven. ;) Have her show her notebook as it is being put together to family / friends, and it sometimes builds an interest in doing it for the sharing time. It also makes great review material. Sorry if this is mostly repeat.
Fly2Peace (versus flying to pieces)

Mexmarr

Unread post by Mexmarr » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:58 am

If you are wanting to beef up specific portions, there is definitely room for it it Adventures! Plenty of room, imo. My kids don't think it is nearly enough, and we have done 2 weeks worth, some weeks. That extra could have been used to go more indepth, but I don't have access to a library right now, and am not adding that much. We are buying 1 book per each history persona or period for the book basket. But there is room to add a lot, if that is your goal.

You sound like you are already sold on Adventures and are trying to figure out how to make it meet your specific desires. I think that you will be VERY pleased if you go with Adventures. It really is great!

I can't comment too much on the after week 13, as we are on week 8. But I've looked at the State Sheets. They could be worked through quickly, and then you could focus on other aspects. There are so many books listed in the index that will give you more than you could want!

We are really loving Adventures. And do get the deluxe, if you can swing it! The read alouds and art are great! And we just started the music this week and are enjoying that, too.
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures