Choosing ADV for Less than 1 year? Summer?

gratitude

Choosing ADV for Less than 1 year? Summer?

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:53 am

5 year cycle - general planning question
2girls2boysnme wrote:I am thinking about ordering Adv for my daughter who is just now finishing public 1st grade. I want to do ECC for her and her sister starting in the fall, for 2nd and 8th grade, but I don't want to miss Adv bible and science! I was considering doing Adv after ECC when my oldest moves onto highschool, but then my 5 year cycle will be all messed up when my sons join in later. :~
So, I think I am going to order the program and just use it for the summer/weekends/fun...?
IMO the TM is worth those two subjects. I have even thought of re-doing the ADV Bible myself at some point for just the girls. My dd5 is getting something out of it now, but it would be different for her when she is older because her understanding would be different.

We are doing ADV right now and the Bible/Names of Jesus and science are by far my favorite parts of the program. The rest is a history overview & state study that will go into more detail and depth in EX1850 and 1850MOD.

Cyrstal had mentioned that she did the Bible and science one summer from ADV since it is the two parts that are not included in the extension from EX1850 to 1850MOD. I just wanted to say that it seems like a great idea to me. This subject comes up a lot with people wanting to do ADV for their younger children, and it seems like a good solution. She would get the American History later.

cbollin

Re: 5 year cycle - general planning question

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:30 pm

2girls2boysnme wrote:So if I wanted just the bible and science portions and didn't plan on using ADV in the future (because I will always just work my youngers into the cycle as they come up), I could just buy the TM instead of the basic or deluxe package right? Sorry, I'm new to MFW, so that might be a duh type question.
before answering that... (it's not a duh type of question by the way)

trying to explain what I did that summer. The year before that... spring in 2005... I went to convention. Indiana has a horrible reputation for being inconsistent in timing of convention. It was Feb. I was surprised any vendor had new catalog. MFW did. I went ahead and got RTR and 1st. That's what we'd be using in 2005-06 academic year.

I got home and read the catalog. The "new product" that year was "Adventures". I smiled and said "oh oh oh.... this is what I need. My oldest will be in the Exploration to 1850 program and my middle can do this. wow! oh sniff sniff. I guess I can homeschool. " (at the time my middle was in therapies for special needs and I didn't know what I was going to do.) I also had absolutely no clue at all that there would be a younger supplement for EX1850. So, I ordered ADV.

so. it came time to order EX1850 and lo and behold, there was a younger supplement. oh ... that works. Ok.. from April 2006 I was sitting and waiting for the pilot families to finish EX1850 (thank you Lucy and others).... so... because I wanted to have summer session, I went to the basement, got out the ADV books and we did the Bible and Science from ADV for fun and in condensed form. that's why I did it.... it wasn't because there was some huge spiritual reasons. It was because I was waiting for end of July when EX1850 would be shipped.

It was fun. My oldest was too old for it. (she was going into 5th grade). My middle gal had fun. She was going into 2nd grade

so.. if for some reason, any random person is wanting to do just the Bible and Science from ADV:
you need the manual
you need student sheets
you need a Bible
First Encyclopedia of Science
Science in the Kitchen
Science With Air
Birds, Nests, and Eggs
and maybe a bird feeder

But, it's my opinion that if you have the materials already for whatever reason (having done ADV years before, or sitting in the basement from a weird story like mine...) you can use it again...
don't sweat it if the younger student doesn't get a full turn at it.

hope that helps to better understand what I did.

back to Chelle's original question.... Child C - just fold into the cycle at EX1850 when Child C is in 2nd grade... use younger supplement

-crystal

2girls2boysnme

Re: 5 year cycle - general planning question

Unread post by 2girls2boysnme » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks for answering that for me, and sorry to the original poster for the thread hijack. :)

cbollin

Is it possible to use Adventures with a 4th grader?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu May 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Allison TX wrote:Has anyone tried just the Bible portion of Adventures as a stand alone summer Bible study? I just really don't want her to miss it.
In summer of 2006.... we had ADV. (I had bought it not knowing that in EX1850 the younger supplement was going to happen... long story.) While waiting for EX1850 to be finished being printed, we did the Bible and Science as fun summer time. condensed and faster.. since it was the only school stuff we were doing and it was for fun. Oldest was done with 4th grade, middle done with 1st.

We had fun for summer stuff.

-crystal

Allison TX

Re: Is it possible to use Adventures with a 4th grader?

Unread post by Allison TX » Fri May 04, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks, Crystal. I think we'll try doing the Bible, and maybe science, lessons over the summer. :)

momxnine

Unread post by momxnine » Fri May 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Maybe I shouldn't read all these posts that don't apply to me. Now I want to do some of the Adventures stuff with my 10 year old!!! :D I wasn't even really thinking about summer, but after reading through this thread, I decided to get a couple of the science books to go through this summer with him. I don't know what the Bible lessons are and don't think I should buy the manual when we'll never use it, so I'll just stick with doing science with him over the summer. He loves science stuff anyway and it sounds like he should be able to work through the Usborne books on his own. : )

Blessings,

Vicki in SW. MO.
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sat May 05, 2012 8:23 am

momxnine wrote:Maybe I shouldn't read all these posts that don't apply to me. Now I want to do some of the Adventures stuff with my 10 year old!!! :D I wasn't even really thinking about summer, but after reading through this thread, I decided to get a couple of the science books to go through this summer with him. I don't know what the Bible lessons are and don't think I should buy the manual when we'll never use it, so I'll just stick with doing science with him over the summer. He loves science stuff anyway and it sounds like he should be able to work through the Usborne books on his own. : )
The Bible is a names of Jesus study. It goes through the names of Jesus and looks up scriptures that apply to the topic both from the OT (prophecy & psalms) and NT. Each 'name of Jesus' lasts two weeks and integrates with the science. The names includes Jesus is: the bread of life, Lamb of God, Good Shepard, living water, etc. For each name my 2nd grader: memorized a verse that includes the name for Jesus, copied the verse, and cut out and colored from the student sheets for his Jesus poster. My ds7 and dd5 also cut out and colored from their student sheets for their student posters. All 3 of them listened to the Bible verses that were read. The science experiments go along with the name of Jesus theme for that 2 week unit study.

I hope this is helpful!

momxnine

Unread post by momxnine » Sat May 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks Carin! That *does* sound like a good study! Could just the Bible & Science by done in a 3 month period or would that be really pushing it? I'm wondering if it would be worth it to just get the book. I appreciate what was said about the narration skills, we still need to work on that around here. Maybe this would be a good summer project.

Blessings,
Vicki in SW. MO
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sat May 05, 2012 10:50 pm

momxnine wrote:Thanks Carin! That *does* sound like a good study! Could just the Bible & Science by done in a 3 month period or would that be really pushing it? I'm wondering if it would be worth it to just get the book. I appreciate what was said about the narration skills, we still need to work on that around here. Maybe this would be a good summer project.

Blessings,
Vicki in SW. MO
There are 15 units of 2 weeks each. Each unit has 8 days of Bible for that particular name of Jesus. So you could almost do 2 days of Bible, 4x a week, for 12 weeks and finish most of the Bible part of the program. Does this make sense? Outside of the 15 units is 2 weeks for introduction, one week for Thanksgiving, and the last week of the program (which does have a Jesus name for it). The science is 2 days a week. So 4 days a week would cover 2 days of Bible each day and one day of science each day. If you did it 5 days a week I think you would come closer to week 30. There are 34 weeks in the program.

I wonder how Crystal did do ADV Bible and science in one summer? Crystal? It would push the program, but without LA/math/art/music/history/etc. I can see how it could be done.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun May 06, 2012 3:38 pm

gratitude wrote:I wonder how Crystal did do ADV Bible and science in one summer? Crystal? It would push the program, but without LA/math/art/music/history/etc. I can see how it could be done.
I was doing it very lightly and very fun. I wasn't with a goal of getting it all done. I don't remember specifics six years later. it wasn't done fully or anything.... just fun

-crystal

momxnine

Unread post by momxnine » Sun May 06, 2012 5:48 pm

I keep coming back to this thread and I've been reading all threads and posts about Adventures this afternoon. Am I crazy to be thinking of doing this book over the summer??? It would just be my 10 year old son who could use some extra reading, writing and just "fun" stuff before going into CTG next fall. We haven't really done anything much with US history other than what we did at the beginning of ECC. I was thinking extra narrating and just fun reading that isn't quite so hard might be fun. I also was thinking maybe an *easy* timeline would be good to do (since we've never done one!) before we get to CTG. And the names of Jesus.... well that just sounds wonderful! And the art... And the music.... :)

It'll be another 3 years until we get to US history w/MFW, so I'm just wondering if it would be good to go ahead and do this light overview. We would skip all math, language arts, and "academics." But the Bible, science & History all sounds like something we might not want to miss. A side question, would the magnet kit be too simple for a 10 year old?

But to spend the $$$ for a summer program???? I think I must just be *addicted* to MFW..... ;)

Vicki in SW. MO. (Who really needs to get a signature line figured out so I don't have to type my name all the time!)
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun May 06, 2012 6:11 pm

momxnine wrote:I keep coming back to this thread and I've been reading all threads and posts about Adventures this afternoon. Am I crazy to be thinking of doing this book over the summer???
Ideas here... as a summer program? eh? I did that only because I had purchased ADV a year before getting to EX1850. I had no clue at the time that I didnt' need to do that..... long story..... but since I already owned it.. I used it...

if it is "some overview of us history that you want" and you're talking a 10 y.o who is otherwise in CTG.... you have some options to use some materials in ADV during "reading" (not book basket) time. You could get something such as American Pioneers and Patriots and enjoy that. I know there were times in CTG where "book basket" in my house was not related to "history in CTG". so we read whatever we wanted to read...

if you're wanting to cover "basic us history facts".... consider enjoying School House Rocks, America Rocks. I loved those as a child growing up in the 70's.... got the dvd for my kids... cover major facts, etc.... I even enjoyed watching Liberty's Kids (I know some people don't like the theme song.. ok.. ok.. we're all different).

just to clarify. I'm not saying "do ADV and CTG in the same year".. I'm saying... watch some videos, and maybe put a book or two for light and independent Fridays, or maybe basket or reading...then for summer Bible, go enjoy and be part of your church's stuff.

on the other hand.. if you can afford mfw.. buy buy buy buy! 8[] 8[]

-crystal

momxnine

Unread post by momxnine » Sun May 06, 2012 6:32 pm

Crystal,

You make me smile. :) My oldest daughter is named Crystal, so I think of her everytime I see your name. She always makes me smile too. Must be the personality that goes with the name. :)

We're not in CTG yet, that's next fall. We're just finishing up ECC, we have two more countries!!! And as a side note, this is the FIRST year in my 25 years of homeschooling that we have done ONE curriculum for a whole year and done all of it!!! WOO HOO! I am trying to be humble... but I'm really proud of myself. :-) :-)

I'm not sure if I'm really just wanting to do an overview of US history or if I just love MFW so much that I want it all and don't want my son to miss out on anything! (Or my grandkids, but I haven't convinced my daughter yet) I really think I'm getting looney in my old age. ;)

But I guess the main question is...could it be done in 3 months and still be fun and not feel rushed and just have fun?
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun May 06, 2012 6:45 pm

I'll happy dance with your on your accomplishment! that's a happy dance worthy moment! hi fives to you!

3 months... ok.. we're talking... 34 x 4 (due to light and independent friday... it's really light in ADV, lighter than ecc) = 136.. in 3 months...
3 months..
20 (m-f) days, 3 months. 60... do 2.5 days of stuff a day... for whole summer... oh come on mom.. I don't wanna!

ew...that's sounds like it's rushed... doing some of it, yes... save some of it for side dishes, and never get done..... yes....

and yes, I meant you could wait until fall to do the side readings... I didn't type that very well.

if they never ever do ADV, it's ok.... as far as I know Lucy's kids didn't do ADV.... and they didn't do Kindy or 1st with mfw either...

-crystal

momxnine

Unread post by momxnine » Sun May 06, 2012 6:56 pm

Math...why does math always have to figure in. ;) Yeah, when you work it out like that, it does sound really rushed.

Hmmm.... okay. Wishing now I'd look at the Adventures book while at convention. The names of Jesus just sounded really good and I'm not creative enough to do it on my own. Oh well.... maybe I'll buy him a new easy to read Bible and we'll do lots of Bible reading and read the history readers that go w/ADV. I've either got them or my neighbor does, so I wouldn't have to spend any $$$ there. I've got the science books too, so maybe we will just take a break, do science, read lots and get ready for next year. :)
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Ohmomjacquie

Just Purchased MFW Adventures

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:43 pm

tuzor wrote:I purchased this after the first term of our school year because my oldest has expressed an interest in learning about US history and the presidents. We have been following the classical model outlined in TWTM so this is a bit of a departure for me but satisfies an interest led spirit for my son. Anyway prior to purchasing Adventures I was looking for resources to put together on my own which there are a ton out there but I felt I needed a little hand holding as far as what to cover when and age appropriate level. My nature is to cover history very in depth forgetting that my child is only in the second grade and will have more opportunities for deeper study.

Am I correct thinking that the guide is more of a spine or jumping off point and I can add more books to each area if I like ?
We are using adventures this year. There is a book basket with lots of suggestions for other books to read and look at together. You can use the library for them. You can add as many or few that you want. Enjoy adventures!i know we surely are!
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

tuzor

Re: Just Purchased MFW Adventures

Unread post by tuzor » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:09 pm

So I purchased adventures because my second grade son expressed an interest in learning about the history of the U.S., presidents, the frontier days (cowboys) and chemistry. After considering putting something together on my own adding to MFW Adventures appears to be the better idea.

Originally I considered Adventures for 3rd grade but after lots of consideration decided to jump in now instead of waiting. Can anyone tell me how realistic it would be for me to finish Adventures by July. Its crazy I know but I would like to wrap this up and then start ECC so we can take advantage of a co-op or shared learning group for next year. Wondering how intense the program is if I wanted to combine lessons or speed things up?

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:21 pm

tuzor wrote:Can anywone tell me how realistic it would be for me to finish Adentures by July.
Realistic? Yes. But it will take a little work on your part to decide which material to combine for certain weeks. There is a stand-alone week for Thanksgiving that you can completely skip and save for another year since it won't be Thanksgiving time. That leaves you with 33 weeks of study. There are certain weeks which are obviously "lighter" than others where you can can combine subjects. Sometimes you may be inclined to choose one good activity than doing all that are listed.

I am probably the biggest Adventures fan around here. I absolutely loved teaching that year. The material is awesome and wonderfully age-appropriate, even for an advanced learner. I will admit that there were times in the year that we slowed down and stayed on a favorite topic for longer than assigned, and later in the year there were spots when I sped things up and did a week in two days. It is flexible that way. Just don't waste the material -- it is too good to skip.

The trouble with cramming year into a shorter timeframe is that you are also affecting math and LA. I'm thinking you must have a plan for that, though, since you are starting mid-year?
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

tuzor

Unread post by tuzor » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Yes I will continue my own math and LA but add in MFW Adventures. Now I'm second guessing myself. This curriculum is perfect for his interest but I don't know know if I should begin it now or wait until next year and then find another way to satisfy his curiosity until then.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:50 pm

tuzor wrote: I would like to wrap this up and then start ECC so we can take advantage of a co-op or shared learning group for next year. Wondering how intense the program is if I wanted to combine lessons or speed things up?
I'm not sure what you mean by taking advantage of a co-op, but we started several of the MFW years during January/February at the semester break. We also belonged to co-ops most years.

My philosophy is not to try to line things up too much. Just consider it a preview if it's early, and a review if it's done later. Review is good, very good. :)
tuzor wrote:Julie,
Some of the moms in my homeschool support group use MFW and are thinking of beginning a co-op or gathering several times a month for shared learning. But this would be for year one ECC not Adventures. I was hoping to finish Adventures so that we can particpate with the group next year going the ECC.
Wow, that would be so fun!

I guess if it were me, I'd just start Adventures as written and then once I had a feel for it, I'd use it the way that suited me. Maybe I'd just use it as written for the rest of the year and then stop on whatever week we were on. That way, in the fall I could pick it back up *if* I found the co-op didn't end up as planned. Or, maybe I'd find I wanted to condense here or there, and get most of Adventures completed by the end of the school year. Another option might be to leave off the state studies, since those happen again in years 4-5 -- but I haven't done Adventures so take that with a grain of salt. If the co-op *did* work out as I had hoped, maybe I'd want to finish up Adventures Bible in the summer as a special together time.

It would be hard for me to make those decisions in advance. But then, it's hard for me to make any decisions :)

Enjoy!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Amy C.

Coming back to MFW and lots of questions

Unread post by Amy C. » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:21 am

heidip2p wrote:Hi, we have been homeschooling for 7yrs. We have used MFW on and off several times. I am at the point that I really need an open and go planned out guide for us. So we are returning to MFW.

I have 8 kids and as of this coming fall will be in grades 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9. We also have a 4 and 2 yr old and our baby is 3 months. Our 9th grader will be using MFW for HS. Our 7th grade daughter has asked if she can do ECC on her own. I know this isn't the norm. She and her 9th grade sister just worked through a core basically on their own so I am confident she can handle it. Just not sure it is the right way to go or not.

I would really love to do Adventures with my 1, 3, and 5th grades this year. They are all boys and I think they would really enjoy it. I know I would need to add in some things for our 5th grader.

Does this seem doable? Again I know it is not the normal route to go but it seems like what might fit our family right now. Our family has been through quite a bit in the last few years. I am looking forward to taking a year to just relax and truly enjoy our life.

Plan B: I could also do a condensed version of Adventures between now and fall. There are 27 weeks between March 4th and Sept 9th. I could combine a few weeks of Adv. and then we could all start ECC in fall together. That makes a lot more sense I think. I would love any feedback and ideas you guys can share. :) Heidi
Hi!
I'll just give some thoughts I have and see if any of it helps.

I like the idea of doing ECC together. I think it is very valuable to learn about and pray for the different people groups around the world as a family. Not only will your children be learning from you how to have a heart of compassion for others around the world and how to pray for them, but also the youngers could learn from their older siblings how to care and pray as they model this for them. Even your high schooler could join in on this aspect of ECC (the praying for others around the world).

Another reason I like the idea of doing ECC together is the fact that your children will be learning about other world religions. I would want to be learning this alongside my children, including my 7th grader, to make sure they understood the difference between these other religions and Christianity and be there to answer any questions they might have and make sure there is no confusion between our faith/beliefs and the other religions.

I said in a past post that I thing ECC is a good year to tweak either way: for youngers and for olders. There is the fun, hands-on component for the youngers and it can be taken more indepth with the olders. There is also the 7th/8th grade supplements for the Jr. High students.

Your 7th grader will be independent in a lot of things starting in Jr. High. She will have her own math and science and writing. Also, there will be some components of ECC that she can do on her own.

We have not done Adventures, but it is my understanding that much of it is repeated in EXP1850 and 1850Mod. We are doing EXP1850 this year with an 8th grader, 6th grader, and a 3rd grader using the 2nd/3rd grade supplement. It has been a good year for all my boys.

I wonder if you could start ECC now and continue through the 5 year cycle. Then there is a possibility your 5th grader would be able to finish the cycle, including those last 2 years of history (or at least a big chunk of it), before high school. My oldest will not be able to do 1850Mod this next year, even though he says that that is his favorite time in history to study, because he will move into high school, but I plan on having him read some of the books in that program over the summer to get an overview before starting high school. He will get that time period in history in high school later on.

These are just some random thoughts. I don't know if any of it helps, but hopefully something does. In addition to any advice you get here, I would recommend calling the MFW office. They are so helpful!

Blessings to you as you decide.
Amy C.

DS4home

Re: Coming back to MFW and lots of questions

Unread post by DS4home » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:56 am

I really like your Plan B idea. Get Adventures now and shorten it a bit, then do ECC this fall as a family. I think that sounds very doable for your family. Not much more to add, just putting in my vote :-)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi Heidi! :-) This is Cyndi . . . we know each other in real life!

I can't give advice on schooling a big family, because I just have one child - but I do think your dd could handle ECC on her own if you decided to do that. I don't want to part with my materials because we will be using them again, but if you want to look at them, I'd be happy to get together with you. I do think it would be a really good year to do as a family, though. There would be advanced items that only your dd would do, while the boys would be "done" after going through the basic mat'l.

I also have the older version of ADV, if you want to see it. I agree that you'd have to beef it up for your oldest boy. It truly is written as a 2nd/3rd grade program. Makenzie went through it at 6yo. I'm not sure which years of MFW you've already done.

Regardless, if putting your hands on the books would help you decide, let me know - just send an e-mail or call me.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

heidip2p

Unread post by heidip2p » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi Cyndi :) Thanks so much for your offer to help. I actually went ahead and ordered Adv. this morning. I am just going to shorten it up a few weeks to finish in Sept. Feels good to be getting back to the path for homeschooling that we fell in love with to start with.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I just needed to get up at 3:30am to figure it all out. Probably because that is the only time the house is quiet. lol Now I can start stalking my mailman. :)

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:54 am

Hi Heidi!

I'm mostly chiming in because our circumstances sound so similar. We are a large family, and have used MFW off and on since the beginning too. We've tried what seems like everything ... and are at the point where we just need open and (almost) go, planned out, trusted, etc too.

We did ADV a few years back, and it was great. Our boys really did love it. And since yours are a little older, I think doing it quickly would be fine.

We are also seriously considering ECC next year. We skipped it the first time around. I'd be doing it with my 3rd, 5th, and 8th graders. My 11th grader is going to try and fit the last 3 years of MFW High School in 2 years (we school year round, so it probably won't be all that hard for her). And we'll also be using K for the third time with my 6 year old (with our 5 year old joining in on everything but phonics/math).

Good luck with deciding!
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1