Bible - Is it enough?

Ohmomjacquie

Bible - Is it enough?

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:29 am

tuzor wrote:Wondering if the bible portion used in Adventures is enough for personal bible study for a second grade boy?
We do the adventures bible stuff but then as a family before bed we do a bible story with everyone. That's just us though. My dd doesn't do any other independent bible other than when she wants read on her own.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

tuzor

Re: Adventures Bible

Unread post by tuzor » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Okay, thanks for 2013 I've decied its time for my son to have some personal time with God. So I when I purchased this curriculum I was wondering if it would be ideal for that. We will continue our family devotions and he can use the bible provided in Adventures for personal time with God and we can discuss what he's learning.

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:09 pm

I don't know how old your son is, but one thing you could do is have him read a proverb a day or a psalm a day, maybe have a notebook where he can write down his thoughts, any questions he might have...Either a verse or a chapter. When I was in private school (way back when), we read from Proverbs throughout the month - so on the first day of the month we read chapter one, then on day two we read chapter two, etc. The kids in the school continuously read through Proverbs and the Pastor would highlight one particular verse in opening each day. My son is 8 and I have thought it is a good habit to establish this new year. Hope that helps. :)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:23 pm

tuzor wrote:Thanks 4monkeyz, That's exactly what I wanted to know.

I originally thought Proverbs would be a good place to start but was unsure. My son is eight. I was thinking I could read Proverbs and he could read it and we could discuss together. Not sure if I should do that or not. But then if we read Proverbs together I'm not sure how well the MFW bible would fit in, if I need to fit it in or if it would be too much. Then again family devotionals and personal bible study using MFW two days a week may not be that bad that would mean pushing the study of Proverbs back until third grade. (sigh decisions)
My son was much older (8th grade), but that year I added in the MFW-1st grade Proverbs copywork and listening to Uncle Rick read Proverbs on audio. As an 11th grader now, he still listens to the audio when going to sleep sometimes, just finds something comforting in his reading and explanations.

I actually purchased several Proverbs study books that year, but didn't use any of them. We're not workbooky types here. But my son enjoyed the audio and I thought the copywork was good.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:35 am

Hi tuzor,

Since it was not mentioned I thought I would just add that in Adventures the year is a study of the names of Jesus. 2 weeks are spent on each name. The child is encouraged to read the verses to you aloud from the Bible. The Bible is integrated with science giving some concrete hands-on activities to better understand the name of Jesus. There will be some kind of reading or activity for Bible 4 days each week. Some weeks you will read a verse everyday. Some days you will introduce the new name and discuss what it means or do an activity to help understand it more. I did not want you to think that Bible was only 2 days a week. You may even consider using the Bible in Adventures for family devotions throughout the year.

For my kids it would have been too much to read a Proverb each day on their own in 2nd grade, but each child is different. They were just really learning to read and so reading and learning together were best done together. Also I found my kids needed help making connections about things in the Bible. I think if he is reading well on his own you may have him read through a gospel which is more story like. We read through the book of Matthew in Exploring Countries and Cultures ( the year after Adventures) so you would want to choose a different gospel. Those are just some of my thoughts based on my experience with my kids and children in general.

I hope that helps as you are trying to make some decisions.

Lucy

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Oh my goodness I forgot to mention the Names of Jesus! Thanks Lucy. It is most certainly a central theme to Adventures. &)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

tuzor

Unread post by tuzor » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks Lucy,
I am eagerly awaiting my package in the mail. Its hard to see how you can make it work or what the program really entails without the materials in front of us. I was currently doing something else as a family devotional and since I am picking up Adventures mid year I'm not sure about switching now. I was more looking for something that he could do on his own and we have discuss it. Agian I won't know exactly until the materials are in house. Why are these decisions so hard? (sigh)

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:11 pm

tuzor wrote:I was more looking for something that he could do on his own and we discuss it.
From my experience, the Bible time in MFW is better done as parent-led study. That's just not a subject I would hand off for my child to read on their own, such as science - "Here read this chapter, then give me an oral report, and we'll do the experiment together." I think the Bible time ties in so closely in most of the MFW years that it's something you want to keep as a parent-led subject so that you can bring your own family belief system and worldview into the discussion. God lays many things on our hearts while we're discussing Bible time that have led to excellent conversations.

For a young child's devotion time, I would look more into a book that is formulated for that age group, regardless of reading ability. I do like CLE's Bible program and let my dd use below grade-level materials for enjoyable personal Bible study. Getting a Bible story book, or a version that is geared to younger kids would work well, too.

It will make more sense and be more clear to you once you have materials in hand. It's hard to wait, isn't it? ;)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

tuzor

Unread post by tuzor » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:35 pm

Yes, very hard waiting.