Handwriting

Mom2theteam

Handwriting

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:37 am

Penmanship
kt7673 wrote:After trying other programs for 1st and K, I have decided to use Adventures for 2. I have a question about Penmenship. Is the copywork alone enough for penmenship or do I continue to use A Reason for Handwriting on top of what is asked for in Adventures?
I would say it depends on how much handwriting you want to incorporate. The copywork is verses every other week. If you use PLL, which I do not, I'm almost positive there is copywork in there as well that can double for handwriting. We have copywork in our LA work that isn't in the Adv manual, similar to if you were using PLL. For us, between the two, it's enough. But, my son is doing pretty well with his writing and penmanship. If he was struggling, I might do something more specifically focused.

You might want to wait till you get everything, including the LA you choose, and look it over to see how much is included. Then, you can decide if you need more.

Hope that helps some. :-)

ETA - There is a review of handwriting built into the first couple of weeks of Adv. It's just a quick review and then handwriting is practiced through the copywork in the Adv and in PLL/other LA program.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

DS4home

Re: Penmenship

Unread post by DS4home » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:11 pm

I am one who did use A Reason for Handwriting every year. I liked having that one time in the day to really focus on penmanship. That said, my youngest has asked to not do the handwriting book this year. I said OK, only if you use your copy work as handwriting practice. I find I have to remind her at times to "use your best handwriting", or "this is for your handwriting practice". I've been going back and forth lately on if I want to go ahead and get the next book. :~

Anyway, I think it is personal preference. It's not a big thing to fit into the schedule. If you like the structure of ARFH you can keep using it.
The parts of Adventures that you would use for handwriting will be writing out the memory verse one day every other week, writing occasional history summaries for your notebook, and PLL lessons (if you choose that for Language Arts). It seems like they are writing something every day though, so I may be missing some things.

Do you have the TM yet? If you do, I would slowly walk through a week or two as if I were doing it and take note of how much writing you come across. Then you would have a feel for if you like it or want to add to it.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

kt7673

Unread post by kt7673 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks for the help. I will be getting the TM in the mail early this week. I will definitly take time to look through it and evaluate the LA (FLL) we are using. :)

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:44 am

We use FLL for LA. There is some writing, but not a ton. It is mostly oral. If you do the enrichment exercises every day, there is more. We do some, not all. We also use WWE. So, we get handwriting when he does his copywork and narrations for that too.

I did buy a handwriting program to add to Adv. It just turned out he was getting plenty of practice.

I'm sure you'll have a better idea once you have the manual in hand and can really look through. Look through FLL too. :-)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along