Worldview - Balance?

kfrench

Worldview - Balance?

Unread post by kfrench » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:10 pm

Happy2BMotherof3 wrote:My next question is: Regarding the history........does it sugarcoat history? Making Christopher Columbus out to be this holy man that was completely led by God, when in history books it says his main reason for voyage was to get riches from Asia? Yes I agree that God has a plan.......but I also know that man has a choice on wether to be obedient to God or not...etc. I sure hope I'm making sense.

Basically, is the history program providential in manner? Or just history in general?

TIA! :D
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:31 am
I am not sure if it is providential or not. They do use history books from Christian Liberty Press. But it also includes books and movies that do show the non providential side. So we did see history from some different view points. Sometimes it was from the view of the shipmate or from a childs view point on the trip on the mayflower. It is not totally providential.

Also there is a reasonable amount of reading. They have great book selections and we have found great read alouds. With Adventures you have your small amount of required reading and then just read what you can find at the library and what interests your kids. SO far my Kids are loving it. And we actually get finish with school by 1 pm.

And there are very easy hands-on projects. Like today we made berry ink and wrote with a feather quill. It took 5 minutes and the kids loved it. We also made hasty pudding (cornmeal mush) and learned about the real meaning behind Yankee Doodle Dandy. My kids thought the pudding was great for a few bites and then decided they didn't like it anymore. BUt in a lot of the books we read people ate a lot of hasty pudding. Sometimes that was all they ate.

I hope you enjoy Adventures. This is our third year of MFW and my kids love it. THat is saying alot because I have tried alot of stuff and Adventures is on thing that we have stuck with and enjoyed.
Kris

Re: Balance?

Unread post by Guest » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:11 pm

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:43 am by cbollin
I've noticed over the years that MFW tries to show a balance in history. Just like Kris said in her post --- some books go overboard and other books help show more of the picture. However, in Adventures, you'll using get more age appropriate selections without too much war and gore events. Those topics are handled, but a little more delicately for the younger ages. Adventures is the program that is an overview of history. Years 4 and 5 (Exploration to 1850 and year 5) cover the material more in depth.

--crystal

Fly2Peace

Re: Balance?

Unread post by Fly2Peace » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:06 pm

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:05 am
Adventures, GREAT stuff. Provided books give a gentle overview of American History. Just right for the age it is designed for. You can add to it on whatever topic you want, or the questions you have with book basket. We had a wonderful time with it.

Blessings and peace to you,
Fly2Peace (versus flying to pieces)