** More user praise reports!

atdawn

praise for Adventures!!

Unread post by atdawn » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:42 pm

I just finished week 1 with my 2nd grade, 1st grade and Kinder aged daughters and we are all LOVING it! They asked for school every morning this week and one morning my daughter asked to start right after she woke up and then said, "oh wait, I need to eat breakfast"!

My K daughter ran into my room last holding a book up saying "Vikings, Mommy, Vikings!" They still haven't figured out that the book basket is related to school....it is just so fun!

I also have a high school age son who dreads school so this is such a huge blessing to me! (perhaps i need to switch him to MFW too!!) :~

I LOVE not wondering what I need to do or questioning if I am doing too little or expecting too much.

BIG THANKS TO MFW!!
Rachel
kanderson wrote:We are in week 7 and ds is still loving it (me too!!). :-)

DS4home

What are the best things about Adventures?

Unread post by DS4home » Mon May 21, 2012 2:27 pm

kentuckymom wrote:I'm seriously considering using Adventures in the fall for my son's second grade year and our first year of homeschooling. I've already been assured that it could be a good fit, and I've read the curriculum sample as well as many of the archives and learned a lot. I'd still like to know more, however. If you're using or have used Adventures, could you answer some questions for me? Thanks!

1) I've read a lot of comments to the effect that Adventures is a "fun year". Can you give examples of what makes it fun?

2) What about Adventures makes it particularly well suited to second and third graders?

3) If you started MFW with Adventures, what made you choose it over other curriculum?

4) What was your child's favorite part of Adventures?

5) What was your child's least favorite part? If you could tweak Adventures or add something (or you've done this), what would it be?

Thanks for your help!
We are finishing up Adventures right now. I'll just start the conversation with one of the fun elements to the year. My dd has really enjoyed the music this year. When she learned the words to Yankee Doodle Dandy, she would sing it all day long. We are scheduled to learn a new song every 3 or 4 weeks. My dd will ask to listen to the current song throughout the day, sometimes during handwriting practice or during lunch, etc. She has really enjoyed learning the words and singing along to all of our great American songs! It has been fun for me to watch her grow in her love of our country, and some of that has been through song.

Just one little tidbit of the day :)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

erin.kate

Re: What are the best things about Adventures?

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon May 21, 2012 2:43 pm

We loved a lot of Adventures for my 2nd grader (my K'er also tagged along) but we did tweak it a bit. We added Apologia's Flying Creatures, only through the birds. We also studied each state bird in depth with the Burgess Animal Book for Children. In hindsight, we could totally have done without Apologia, but my girls were bird nuts. The music was excellent, but we did prefer Wee Sing America, but Marie's notes in the manual really made the music come alive ... like with Yankee Doodle. I also supplemented with most of Sonlight's Core D readers and read alouds since my girls are both avid readers, as am I. :-) I think they loved the oiled paper windows and berry ink writing the most, oh and studying the French Pilgrims was especially interesting to them. If I could redo it, which I plan to in a couple years with my boys, I would not include Apologia and I'd stick with MFW science. You won't be sorry. It is such a treasure.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon May 21, 2012 3:11 pm

2) amount of content of information being taught
time of time to finish it
level of books used

4) favorite part for my child? my youngest (on autism spectrum) loves to make her names of Jesus poster and recite her verses. She likes to watch veggie tales over and over and over.. and those things in ADV made her feel like she was special because she could do her own "qwerty verses"...

5) least favorite: any academic. she hates doing school. we make her do school and she's a good girl about it. but she'd rather be making pancakes or swimming.

-crystal

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon May 21, 2012 7:54 pm

kentuckymom wrote:1) I've read a lot of comments to the effect that Adventures is a "fun year". Can you give examples of what makes it fun?
Cooking Johnny Cakes and carrying the leftovers off to the Civil War (the family room and stuffed animals), floating Christopher Columbus' ships made from aluminum foil in the bathtub, making a Liberty Bell out of foil, making paper tee-pees and wigwams, using feather pens with berry ink, rolling pine cones in peanut butter and bird seed to made bird feeders. So many easy-to-do fun things (and I'm challenged in the crafty hands-on stuff).

2) What about Adventures makes it particularly well suited to second and third graders?
Perfect amount of material to cover each day for a child that age. No flipping around through a bunch of different texts, no ignoring "advanced" comments -- everything you need is right there.

3) If you started MFW with Adventures, what made you choose it over other curriculum?
I chose to start with MFWK *because* I wanted to teach ADV for 2nd grade. I love American history, and ADV does a fantastic job of covering the topics at a child's level.

4) What was your child's favorite part of Adventures?
Definitely the cooking projects. But four years later, we still have the Jesus poster, the Liberty Bell and the wigwam projects.

5) What was your child's least favorite part?
The State Sheets got monotonous, but we would just tweak them a little and it was OK.

6) If you could tweak Adventures or add something (or you've done this), what would it be?
I checked out from the library a book for each state called "A _______ (state name) Alphabet." They always had great info on each state and are written in a rhyming pattern with extra parent-led reading in the margins.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Tue May 22, 2012 11:47 am

Hi! I am new to Adventures too - We are planning on using MFW this coming fall so I can't say what works or doesn't, but I can share what made us choose. :)

Our first intro to MFW is when we attended the Midwest Convention this spring. My dh and I accidently sat in on 2 of David's workshops! My dh turned to me after the first workshop and said, "This sounds interesting, let's check out their booth." That has NEVER happened before! Don't get me wrong, he supports me whole-heartedly, but never really had a strong leaning one way or the other. We looked and liked (I can't stop talking about it which drives my dh nuts!).

I also feel like there is just the right amount of everything - art and music to boot! And I really love how Bible is central. That is one thing we struggle with is making our bible lessons not feel like a morning check box and moving beyond the common bible stories. Listening to one of the workshops, it made me think of an old covered wagon wheel - Bible is the hub and everything else comes off of that. I love it!!

Finally, and this is sort of the biggie, the past two years I have hand pick and attempted to make everything go together -- a lot of stress, work and burn out. I have spent hours on the internet finding coloring pages, notebooking resources, lapbook pieces, reading reviews, etc. It leaves me with a headache and very crabby. :-) I picked Adventures for us this year bcs. my time is worth something. My kids need me, my hubby needs me and I need to be in the Word more. To have it all picked and ready to go is soooooo appealing. Words can't express how very elated I am over the student package!!! :-) No more internet searching. Heehee.

Look around, lots of good ideas! And welcome! :)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

4monkeyz

First weeks...

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:08 am

Our first week is coming to a close & it has been FUN!! My ds told his sister that he "loves - LOVES school!" I can't remember the last time he said those words - he is 8. I'm sure there will be rough seas ahead, but so far smooth sailing. :-) Oh. And I have one sick child, possibly more, so the fact we could do light school and still be accomplishing is great.

Postby 4monkeyz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:52 am
We are using Adv. with our 8 yo son - It is not intense, but slow and steady which is working well. I think the notebooking is just the right amount (he isn't a writing kid), the crafts are just the right amount (a glue hater)....even some of the books I have caught him pulling out of the book basket and skimming through! Our first year with a definite schooling map and I am liking the relaxed pace. We finish by lunch and he has time for chores/playing/projects the rest of the day. I also liked the idea of him starting ECC at "4th" so he gets to cycle through once completely before starting HS. :)
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

momtogc

Fun!

Unread post by momtogc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Adventures is fun, fun, fun! I love to share with anyone who asks that it's a great year and I'm glad we did it in third grade, too. You won't be sorry. Like others have said it is gentle, just the right amount of work, and did I mention fun? Our family loved it. I hope you will too if that's the route you choose.

: )
Meleasa
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

4monkeyz

Box Day for us!!

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:12 am

My dh and I are very pleased with how this last year went and he is encouraging me/us to continue in MFW journey...so much peace and so less stress. We love the Bible focus and all the memory work. It is such a blessing to hear my little ones reciting verses! All I wanted for my kids but couldn't even begin to pull together on my own. Hard to wait for ECC, but we have another two months to finish of Adven.* Thanks MFW!!! :)

* let me add that actually FINISHING a year's worth of work feels aMaZing!!! I know my kiddies are still small, but it still feels pretty good!!!
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

Yodergoat

End of second grade, getting ready for ECC!

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri May 16, 2014 6:03 pm

We just completed Adventures for my daughter's second grade year! I am so thankful to have the flexibility of homeschooling... how else would we have been able to take off when my mother was hospitalized? Or how could we have taken a week-long birding trip to south Texas during spring migration? I feel so blessed by the freedom of schedule we have in homeschooling!

We really enjoyed Adventures and we both learned so much about our country! I asked my daughter what her favorite aspect of the year had been, and she said she especially liked two things... learning the names of Jesus and doing the state sheets.

I will be here often checking on ECC and asking questions as we get ready for third grade!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

bethinga

Share About Your School Year (or your summer)

Unread post by bethinga » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:04 pm

MFW-Marie wrote:It's almost summer! Let’s encourage each other and have some fun!
Marie
This year I did K with my DD and Adventures with my DS. Here are our favorite highlights:

-Learning about Indians and building a miniature wigwam and teepees
-Visiting Jamestown and Williamsburg last fall
- I enjoyed hearing DS read from his Bible each morning. His appreciation for God's Word has grown this year.
-We all loved the read alouds! Especially Squanto, The Sarah Whitcher Story, and Little House in the Big Woods.
-Watching my DD learn to read in K. She made badges for each unit and put them on a poster. I had skipped the badges when DS was in K, so it was fun choosing different activities this time around. I was amazed that DS remembered every unit coming up next for her from his K year!! I couldn't believe he remembered! It really does stick with them. ❤️
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012