Combining Adventures and 1st

Mom2theteam

Bible with 1st and 2nd grader

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:55 am

joyb wrote:Has anyone figured out what is best to do with Bible when you are doing MFW1st and Adventures? The Bible curriculum for 1st seems so interwoven into the language arts, maybe less so with 2nd grader's Adventures? Do I need to do two separate Bible times with each kid or is there a good way to do Bible together?
I've done 1st and I'm doing Adv now. (I'm also doing K for the second time.) If I was doing 1st and Adv together, I would do Bible in both. I would cut out most of the projects in 1st or I would do some from Adv and some from 1st. But, because it is so good and so woven in, I wouldn't skip it in 1st. And, I'd want to do the one in Adv because of learning to use the Bible and because it's geared toward slightly older children. So, that's what I would do. But, you can tweak and do what works for your family. :-)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

gratitude

Re: Bible with 1st and 2nd grader

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:30 pm

I did ADV with MFW1. I did Bible in both. I would read MFW1 Bible to my then 8, 6/7, and 5 year olds. Then I would read ADV Bible to all 3. Then we would do the Jesus poster with all 3. The scripture copy work only my 8 year old did. My 6/7 did all of the Bible notebook and reader on his own. I didn't do the Bible activities in first since we had done them the year before. All 3 did the activities in ADV, and some of those were for Bible.

Please ask if any of this is confusing and needs clarification! It was a Great home school year.

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:18 am

Hi! We did Adven. & 1st last year. What I did was use Adven. Bible as our "main" and then since we hadn't done 1st before, I did 1st's Bible with my dd as part of her school time. It was so much fun! I even had my own little pad of paper and drew along with her. :) I loved it!! She did too. It was a great time of spending a little one on one with her in a relaxed manner.

For the main Bible (adven.) - My kids were 8-3, so I had the memory work printed and in sheet protectors, sometimes I would come up with hand motions for my littles, but we would all memorize the verses. Then I would read the story/lesson, if there wasn't one for that day I would read a short Psalm. 1st had the memorizing the books of the Bible, and I wish I had done more of that with my older two (3rd & 1st). Anyways. It was such a fun year!! Enjoy!! :)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:04 am

So nice to hear from all the BTDT moms. I also thought it might help to look at Marie Hazell's recommendations for teaching 2 kids a year apart on this thread, since she also taught her 6 kids:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=191

If you scroll down to the section on 1st & 2nd, it says:
Marie wrote:The next year (1st and 2nd)

1. Teach MFW-1 to your 1st grader but only Bible, reading (and writing), and math.
2. Teach Adventures in My Father’s World to both children. Do not expect the 1st grader to do any of the writing (or copying) assignments in Bible or history.
Note: If you are also teaching a 3rd-8th grader, do not use Adventures. Instead, let your 2nd grader join his older siblings in the five-year cycle. (A younger sibling does not begin with Year 1, Exploring Countries and Cultures; he joins his siblings in whichever year they are currently doing.)
3. For your 2nd grader, add math (Singapore), spelling (Spelling by Sound and Structure for Grade 2), and language arts (Primary Language Lessons). Let your 2nd grader practice reading with lots of easy readers from the library.

Purchase:
Adventures in My Father’s World Deluxe Package
First Grade Student Materials
Primary Language Lessons, Spelling by Sound and Structure for Grade 2, and 2nd grade math (Singapore)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

7 and 5 year old placement

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:52 pm

megsz wrote:We are going to most likely make the switch to MFW next year when they will be 7 and 5. Having done Sonlight's intro to world cultures and previous to that quite a bit of FIAR, I was planning on starting them both in Adventures. Would this still work for my 5 yo even though he's not in 2nd grade? He'll be doing at least first grade level work for everything else. I would really prefer to keep the two of them together and love that Adventures isn't more world cultures that we've enjoyed for the past few years but now need more focus on America.
Each child needs math and language arts at his own level. So Adventures may be your "main" family program, but the younger will probably use K or 1st for math/language arts at his level.

Granted, I'm a diehard better-late-than-early gal, but I'm convinced that the hands-on math and language arts in MFW-K and MFW-1st are the way a 5yo will learn "best" and have the longest-lasting results, even if it seems like he is "capable" of learning more abstractly. Doing hands-on, over-and-over, for years, is I think the reason my boys learn quickly and easily when I finally had them start K work; oldest didn't start K until age 6.2 and had an easy time in engineering school, hired before he graduated.

If you feel the little guy is ready for 1st, here is Marie's recommendation on teaching 1st and 2nd together:
Marie wrote:The next year (1st and 2nd)

1. Teach MFW-1 to your 1st grader but only Bible, reading (and writing), and math.
2. Teach Adventures in My Father’s World to both children. Do not expect the 1st grader to do any of the writing (or copying) assignments in Bible or history.
Note: If you are also teaching a 3rd-8th grader, do not use Adventures. Instead, let your 2nd grader join his older siblings in the five-year cycle. (A younger sibling does not begin with Year 1, Exploring Countries and Cultures; he joins his siblings in whichever year they are currently doing.)
3. For your 2nd grader, add math (Singapore), spelling (Spelling by Sound and Structure for Grade 2), and language arts (Primary Language Lessons). Let your 2nd grader practice reading with lots of easy readers from the library.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=191
Hopefully some experienced moms will also chime in, but just some ideas to start with.
Julie

megsz

Re: 7 and 5 year old placement

Unread post by megsz » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:36 pm

I wasn't planning on starting him early, but it was his request and he is really successful. I don't push him and let him move at his pace. We already are using very hands on math. He's a fairly fluent reader already and doing well with math so those subjects are covered at his level.

I'm wondering if the Adventures material will be above him at all? He is great at listening and comprehending long chapter books and enjoys them. I have two younger ones as well so keeping the older two together will make it easier...I also figure he'll end up going through some of the 5 year cycle material more than once since he won't move up to the HS level until he's HS aged most likely.

Julie in MN

Re: 7 and 5 year old placement

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:24 pm

It sounds like you're all set on the 1st grade materials then. As for joining in on Adventures, most families seem to leave it somewhat open-ended, for the younger to join in as he has an interest. Likely he'll have fun doing songs, cooking, and projects. He may enjoy the readings on history, especially if he's done some history already. He probably won't do notebook pages or state sheets all of the time, but there's nothing to say he can't join in if he'd like.

The Adventures materials are very appropriate for grades 2-3, or advanced 1st graders, so there won't be the range of materials you'll see with the 5-year-cycle. The school day is only designed to be 2.5 or 3 hours, including language arts and math.

I think it'll be fine, as long as you remember that his "main" program is solidifying reading and basic math skills.

My one consideration might be Bible. Usually, MFW 1st graders are doing their own Bible, and then joining in on Adventures Bible projects. Yes, a 1st grader can "do" Adventures Bible in many ways, but the depth of understanding would be more perfectly aligned with MFW-1st grade Bible lessons. You'd know your family best, though.

Here are some more conversations about adapting Adventures for a 1st grader:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2082

HTH,
Julie

gratitude

Teaching 1st and adventures

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:14 pm

ruppster02 wrote:This fall I will begin teaching 1st to my 6yr old and adventures to my 7yr old. Does any one have experience with this? Should I purchase any doubles in the adventures curr for my 1st grader or will he be able to join in without any papers??
I did both together!

My first grader for ADV did the Names of Jesus poster, colored the state sheets, colored the history sheets but did the writing only in MFW1, did the ADV hands on projects, did science with my second grader, and loved the Pioneers and Patriots and Laura Ingalls's books. I did order a set of ADV student sheets for his participation in ADV.

My first grader also did MFW1 phonics, Bible, Proverb copywork, time-line, Bible reader, and Bible notebook.

I hope that helps. Please ask if you have any more questions.

CaseyVG

Re: Teaching 1st and adventures

Unread post by CaseyVG » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:02 pm

We just finished Adventures with a Kindergartner. We pretty much did everything the same as gratitude. I'm glad I had the student sheets for her. One extra thing I bought that wasn't necessary, was an extra placemat map. We really only needed one.
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:40 am

When I did adventures my k son did everything with his sister but on a smaller scale.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

Blessedbyfive

Unread post by Blessedbyfive » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:48 pm

Just wanted to say we'll be doing the same thing! I anticipate including him on everything, and I'll just script for him because I can tell the writing will be too much.
Ds 2nd-Adv. w/Singapore, AAS, Bookshark reading
Ds 1st-Adv. w/Singapore, AAR
Ds 3
Dd 2
Dd 1