*Thanksgiving week fun - Don't forget!

cbollin

*Thanksgiving week fun - Don't forget!

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:15 pm

Since it is Thanksgiving week in the US.....

In case you are using Adventures and you haven't seen it yet, just a quick reminder that the Thanksgiving unit is a stand alone unit and is found in the teacher's manual between weeks 12 and 14.

It is a stand alone unit and you can do it before week 12 or after week 14.

It's a 3 day week. Well, the Thursday schedule has you playing Indian games, but that's it. The teacher's manual even suggests that you make it a light week and "consider taking a break from your usual Enlgish and Math this week if you can do so. Let your child enjoy reading a book 'just for fun.' You will be doing some informal math in the activities..."

I'd hate for someone to miss it by a week or two just because they didn't know it wasn't there.

--crystal

Joy1139

Thanksgiving

Unread post by Joy1139 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:51 pm

Our first day of Adventures was today! Starting with the Thanksgiving unit has been very enjoyable. The Bible for today is the same text that our pastor spoke on yesterday. Both of my boys loved the pumpkin activities. My second grader said this was the best science experiment he has ever done... and, he's done a lot! My sister came over and took a look at the TM. She was impressed that the week is so well-thought out and liked that it was a short week. I told her that it really seems that the Hazells have thought of everything.

Homeschooling6

Unread post by Homeschooling6 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:58 pm

Thanks Crystal-
I have been meaning to do a unit study on Thanksgiving every year but haven't. Now that it is scheduled in the TM I will finally do it. I can't wait!
Blessings,
Linda<><
Linda Mom to
Joshua 5/98, Annette 9/99, Caleb 9/00, Brent 10/01, Ethan 1/03, Lance 8/04
Currently using texbooks.

Our Blog http://training6hearts4him.blogspot.com

RachelT

Adventures Thanksgiving week!

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:34 pm

I am excited to begin our special Thanksgiving unit study this week in Adventures! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Poohbee

Happy Thanksgiving!

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:25 pm

RachelT wrote:I am excited to begin our special Thanksgiving unit study this week in Adventures! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Rachel
I'm right there with you, Rachel! We are excited to start our Thanksgiving Unit this week, too. What a nice thing that Marie prepared that special unit for Thanksgiving week! I am thankful for that! :-)

Also, we are absolutely loving studying the states with the state cards! It's been fun reading and learning about each state, and my dd loves coloring the state bird and flower! It's been a nice change of pace after the history we've been reading about the past 11 weeks or so, although the history has been very interesting and enjoyable, too!

I'm so thankful for the freedom to homeschool, for this wonderful MFW curriculum the Lord led us to, and for all of you wonderful people who read and respond to messages on this board! It is a huge source of encouragement for me!

Have a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:33 am

We've done the T'giving unit before, as well, but I pulled out my ADV manual so that we can do it again this week. We skipped the pumpkin experiment last time, but I'd like to go ahead and do it now.

Need to go buy a pumpkin today if I can still find one. If not, we'll get a squash.

Jessica, even if your kids do go to "school" next year (and we're gonna pray that they don't! LOL), I recommend keeping your ADV manual so that you can keep doing it on the side, perhaps. Or when the kids are on break from the classroom school. There's so much fun and interesting stuff in there!
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

KimberlyND

Unread post by KimberlyND » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:40 pm

I am excited to do the Thanksgiving unit, also. We just finished for the day. The placemats turned out well. Ds liked doing it, but one was enough. I did one with dd.

While I like studying Thanksgiving this week I am also thankful for a light week of school. There will be alot of cooking going on around here.
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

Mommyto2

Unread post by Mommyto2 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:09 pm

We are going back to do the Thanksgiving week from Adventures too. We made the placemats. It was tough. DS could not get the over under concept and the papers kept moving and he got mad.

We measured the Mayflower with sidewalk chalk on the driveway. It was the entire length plus a little bit and more than the width. Then we drew large circles to represent people and numbered them to 132 to show how much room they would take up. After that we filled in the rest of the "ship" with equipment and stores of goods of what was brought with on the ship.

I hope it helped them remember better than just listening to me read about it.

My dd (age 6) had a hard time with the concept that they could only bring food, blankets, books, and farm equipment. She wanted to bring the electric fan to keep cool in the summer. :)

Brenda
mom to ds 9 and dd 6

LA in Baltimore

What a chance to serve!

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:28 pm

We just finished day 2 of the Thanksgiving Unit.
We are all enjoying it.
I wanted to share how God has used MFW to bless us.
A woman in my Charlotte Mason Discussion Group was put on bed rest (expecting baby #4 this spring) two weeks ago.
She has needed the obvious: help with childcare, meals, laundry, cleaning.
This Monday was our family's morning to serve her. We all packed up and took school to her!
We were able to bring our Thanksgiving Unit along and keep her three sweet boys occupied with the Bible, books, crafts, and measuring the Mayflower! My older two (ages 16 and 10) were able to get some of those housekeeping tasks accomplished as well.
What a joy it was for us to be able to help them in such a concrete way.
Just wanted to share our joy!

Have a great, blessed Thanksgiving,
LA in Baltimore
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

amelasky

Unread post by amelasky » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:37 pm

We are having so much fun this week! My daughter said that our pumpkin was the best $0.99 that we've EVER spent! LOL She has had more fun doing all the pumpkin activities. Our pies are in the oven (won't Daddy be happy, they're his favorite!), our toasted pumpkin seeds are cooling and our seeds will be planted tomorrow.

What an awesome time this has been. Thank you for making this week so educational and enjoyable.
Annie
Married to my best friend and high school sweetheart for 18years. Blessed momma to my princess (14) and little warrior (10).
Exploration to 1850

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:20 pm

We had fun with the Thanksgiving unit! My dd made an adorable hand-foot turkey and both children had cute hand turkeys - my son usually doesn't like to "make crafts" but he had fun with this one! My niece and nephews also enjoyed the almond toss game with us after our Thanksgiving celebration. It was challenging, even for me!

It was nice to have a bit lighter week and to have to time allowed in the curriculum to learn more about this special holiday.

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Yodergoat

Have you seen the new catalog?

Unread post by Yodergoat » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Poohbee wrote:I just viewed the 2013 MFW Catalog online and it is bee-u-ti-ful. :-) On the website, click on "Free Catalog" and you can view it online.
I'm especially glad you mentioned it here... cause I was delighted to see my little girl's PHOTO in it! !!

I was just enjoying reading about the new First Grade (which looks great but makes me a little sad cause I missed it by a year) and then I went on the the Adventures pages and 8O there is Gail on page 23 with her tub o' pumpkins from the Thanksgiving unit of Adventures! It's ironic because she won't start Adventures until later this year, but we did that unit just for some Thanksgiving fun, and I posted the photo here. She had a blast with those floating pumpkins...

What a fun surprise! Now I'll have to get a catalog as a keepsake for Nana and Papa... mayhap they will use it to order some birthday and Christmas gifts... ;) Seeing their beloved and long-awaited only granddaughter in the catalog will really endear them to the company. I like how they incorporate pictures from real users instead of just stock photos.

The new catalog really is beautiful, very crisp and professional looking! But now I'm biased...
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!